Hot cheese bread: grip it and rip it!

If you’re a yeast bread baker, you know that different loaves provoke different visceral responses. There are sandwich loaves, golden brown and perfectly domed, that seem almost too beautiful to cut into. And there’s country sourdough bread, whose occasional lack of beauty is made up for by its enticing aroma. Focaccia begs you to cut it into squares and dip it in seasoned olive oil; a baguette makes you bend down and listen to it “singing” as it cools.

But one response all homemade yeast breads invoke in common: they all say RIP INTO ME RIGHT NOW.

Hot-from-the-oven bread envelops your house with a yeasty aura of warmth and comfort. But it’s not enough to simply enjoy the aroma of bread, or to admire it as it cools. Though you’re cautioned not to cut into a hot sandwich loaf, lest your precipitous cut turn it gummy (and yes, if you cut oven-hot bread, that does happen), other breads are fair game for the “grab, rip, and gorge” response we feel.

Gruyère Cheese Bread falls smack in the middle of that category.

Chewy, oven-hot bread with a crown of crusty melted cheese… does it get any better? This recipe comes from the French Pastry School in Chicago, which uses King Arthur Flour exclusively for breads, cakes, cookies, pastries–every recipe that calls for flour. We’ve adapted their recipe for home bakers, but we didn’t have to do much beyond tweak it to work in home ovens, which differ vastly from the steam-injected brick ovens professional bakers use.

French Pastry School head baker/chefs Jacquy Pfeiffer and Sebastien Canonne say this is one of their truly beloved breads, one that never fails to attract customers when it’s pulled from the oven and immediately fills the bakeshop with its steamy aroma of melted cheese and hot bread.

OK, by now you’re chomping at the bit, ready to bake, right? Let’s go for it. Without further ado, here’s how to make the French Pastry School’s Gruyère Cheese Bread.

img_1287.JPG
Mix flour, water, salt, and yeast, and set aside to rest at room temperature overnight.

img_1300.JPG
Just about 14 hours later, look how that simple starter has grown!

img_0429.JPG
Mix the starter with the remainder of the dough ingredients. The dough will be rough at first…

img_0432.JPG
…but becomes smooth and satiny as you knead.

img_0434.JPG
Next, let the dough rise till it’s grown to just about twice its size.

img_0506.JPG
WOW! Unlike more sluggish doughs, this one rises fairly quickly, doubling in size in 2 hours or less.

img_1316.JPG
And the gluten, as you can see, is nicely developed.

img_0508.JPG
Pat the dough into a rough 9” x 12” rectangle.

img_5603.JPG

Next, pick your cheese. While the French Pastry School uses Gruyère, we like to experiment with different cheeses. We find sharp cheddar is an especially good choice.

We use a lot of Cabot cheese here in the test kitchen. It comes from a Vermont dairy cooperative; and not only do we like to support our local farmers, they make GOOD cheese. Their Seriously Sharp Cheddar is a great choice for those of you who love cheddar.

img_0510.JPG
Spritz with water, and layer on the shredded cheese…

img_1319.JPG
…and roll it up, starting with a longer edge.

img_0511.JPG
Here it is, a lovely cheese-filled log.

img_0481.JPG
Once it’s risen again, divide the dough into four pieces; or two pieces, for larger loaves.

img_1338.JPG
Place the pieces, cut-side up, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. You don’t HAVE to use parchment, but it helps with cleanup; these loaves will oooooze cheese as they bake.

img_0535.JPG
See what I mean? Melted cheese bubbles out the top and down the sides of the loaves like lava from a volcano.

img_5655.JPG

See that crater of melted cheese? Go for it!

imgrevised.jpg
And here’s a cross section of the “volcano.” You can slice this bread if you like, but really: just rip into it with both hands while it’s hot. Enjoy!

Find the recipe online by clicking here: Gruyère Cheese Bread.

comments

1. Stacey Derbinshire

I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

Stacey Derbinshire

2. PJ Hamel

Don, use whatever cheese you like; the original version called for Gruyere, but it’s so expensive I substituted Jarlsberg; I’ve also tried cheddar, and Asiago. All seem to work fine (and taste delicious, of course). And remember – don’t wait for it to cool – grip it and rip it! Enjoy-

3. Marilyn Mason

Thank you for this indepth instruction. I’m looking forward to making this bread this afternoon. I’m making a flour-run for some KA and will start upon my return. I can’t wait. This is my kind of fun and my family and friends will benefit.

4. Caroline Hogan

I am drooling…………… Darn, I have a birthday party to go to tomorrow.
    (Need to go get that yummy cheese anyway.)
    Thanks for posting the photos for us visual learners!

5. Jennifer

I have some biga in my fridge already from when I made some Foccacia bread. Can I use this instead of making a new batch of starter dough from this recipe? If so, how much would I need? Thanks.

I can’t wait to try this bread!!!!

6. PJ HAMEL

Jennifer, you’d need 9 to 10 ounces of biga – hope you have a scale. If not, I’d guess 9 to 10 ounces would be about 3/4 to 1 cup stirred down? (But a scale is much better…) Good luck, hope it turns out well- should be fine, just watch the flour/liquid ratio and make a fairly soft (but not massively sticky) dough.

7. Marian

YUM! thank you for this great recipe! I’m making the biga tonight and will finish this for the family tomorrow! Looks delicious! I’ll be using Jarlsberg cheese. I’m linking this page to my comfort cooking blog! BTW – thank you for your comment on my blog – Wow! PJ read it! :-)

Marian, indeed, California is about as far from Vermont as you can get… wish you lived closer, too. But maybe someday, eh? In the meantime, I’ll continue to enjoy your blog – you sound like a knowledgeable food person with lots of good stuff to offer – keep it coming!

9. Linda

How about sour dough starter? Would that work for a starter instead of creating a new one? I’ve shown some friends at work the visuals and they are as excited as I am to try the recipe. Bread, yes! Cheese, yes! Bread & Cheese baked together…nirvana!!

10. Marj

This looks wonderful and will have to try this soon!! By the way PJ where do you get the 56 oz clear measuring cup? I can’t find it on the KA shop.

11. Marj

This looks wonderful and I have to try this soon. I love your clear 56 or 64 oz measuring cup. I can’t find it in the KA shop and can’t find it on the web either. Can you tell me where you get this? Thanks.

12. Nancy Reynolds

Read the recipe the evening of the 28th. Made the starter the evening of the 29th, and can hardly wait to taste this bread!

13. PJ Hamel

Linda, I think sourdough starter would work OK… of course, the bread would be sour, and not sure I really would like the sour/cheese flavor combo, but give it a go and let us know how it works…

Nancy, that measuring cup (which I love) comes from a wholesale foodservice place called Cambro; same place that makes our dough-rising buckets, which I also use quite a bit. I’m going to ask our merchandising team if they can bring it back for fall, because I surely do use it all the time. It’s really neat for bread dough, and also perfect for measuring the fruit for pie filling – like, you always need 7-8 cups.

14. Marj

Hi PJ, I just can’t help noticing you are using this big measuring cup every time for the bread dough. I am flying over to Cambro to get one for now. KA should definitely carry this. I am also starting the scali bread tonight and can’t wait to see how it will turn out tomorrow. Thanks for the great tips and all the great recipes!!

15. Marjie Johnson

It’s 1:30am….I am going to go make the starter right NOW so I can do this for dinner tomorrow night. Thank you so much for getting my mouth salivating!! YUM YUM!

16. Linda Senecal

I saw this in your e-mail and couldn’t wait to try it. I made the starter last night and am now waiting for the first rise. I’m not a great baker, but I had to try this. Mine doesn’t look as smooth or as fluid as yours does–duh. But I hope that won’t matter when it comes to taste. So looking forward to this.

17. HMB

This recipe is a keeper! The dough is easy to work with, it smells divine while it’s baking, and the bread is chewy and delicious with the cheese. True baking alchemy, turning base ingredients — flour, water, salt, yeast and cheese — into gold.

18. PJ Hamel

You’re absolutely right, HMB. That’s what I love about baking – it’s magic. Or magical alchemy. A creative, “not sure where I’m going but the journey’s a blast” experience – with something to share at the end.

19. Catherine D.

Sourdough, sharp white cheddar and jalapenos would be my choice for this bread. I just made a version with Gruyere and non-sourdough, and it’s good, but a bit wimpy flavor-wise.

20. Don

So I made this over the weekend, substituting 16oz of Sharp Cheddar for the Gruyere, and it was just fantastic.

Once the kids got a wiff of it baking, they went through both loaves in record time.

Thanks for the recipe!

21. Erika

This is such a fantastic recipe: I made it this weekend. I used sharp cheddar cheese and divided it into 4 small loaves. The texture was fabulous, the aroma was intoxicating…it was actually hard to wait until it was done. Somehow we managed to not eat all of it hot out of the oven and it was quite tasty the next day as well.

22. landras

Hi there, I did it last weekend it was absolutely gorgeous!!! one of the best breads I ever made. I also put some rosemary in one of them.
    thanks

23. bobbi61

can this be made in a bread machine for dough only
    can’t wait to make it started the biga last night will make today

24. PJ Hamel

Sure, Bobbi, make the dough in the bread machine. That’s how I do it. When you read the recipe, you’ll see that the instructions call for kneading by hand, with an electric stand mixer, or in the bread machine set on the dough cycle. Of those three, my dough works most reliably when kneaded in one of our Zojirushi bread machines (of which we have eight I believe, in the test kitchen)-

25. Sheila Mayer

In your recipe you say 425 for baking. Yet, in the video it is stated as 500 degrees. Also, you say bake on a tray and the video shows baking on a stone. I plan to bake this bread this weekend. Can’t wait. Thanks.

26. Richard Bennett

There is no sealed end on two slices when the roll is cut into four. What do you do with the open ends? In the illustration, nothing is shown for the two ends in the original roll. Is this pinched to create a sealed end?
    Brown 65

27. Casey

This is probably the best bread I have ever made. Very easy dough to work with and excellent flavor!! Thanks for all your recipes…. I love your blog!

28. Dutch Kathy

Thanks so much for the photos! But, I admit to just making this bread without looking at them or the video on YouTube first, but with King Arthur’s great directions it went well. I also used a Zo dough cycle; it worked fine, as usual. The cheese used was Country Swiss, and as it sits cooling in the kitchen I can smell its wonderful aroma from the computer desk! Wow! We will enjoy!

29. PJ Hamel

Richard, I didn’t bother sealing the end; just plopped it down onto the parchment-lined pan. I didn’t seal the ends of the original log, either, and for whatever reason, the cheese didn’t seem to run out. Gently squeeze the bottoms into a pucker, if you like, but I wouldn’t put a lot of effort into making a tight seal…

Kathy, the YouTube video shows how the chefs at the French Pastry School do it; they use a hotter oven, and steam. So the video doesn’t exactly match my directions. Use the video more for seeing the finished product and watching how the “big guys” do it, rather than a true step-by-step process to do at home.

And Casey—and everyone—thanks for the nice comments!

30. bobbi61

I made the bread last night for supper with a salad it came out great the flavor was good with the Gruyere cheese browned so nicely it came out perfect thank you KING ARTHUR FLOUR for the recipe this one is surely a keeper in my house and thanks goes to PJ Hamel for answering all the questions we are asking it is like a little baker we are having in our kitchen thank you so much for your expertise help
    Bobbi

31. Casey

One question I had regarding this bread, and any bread with a starter, is how long can the starter sit at room temp. before you use it? There have been several days were I have the best of intentions to make bread that day with the starter I made the night before but just can’t fit it in. Do I need to start over with a new starter the next day? I guess I just gave myself a way but I am fairly new to the whole bread making thing!!

32. PJ Hamel

Casey, the starter can stay at room temperature till it begins to cave in and sink down; you’ll notice it collapsing, starting in the center; it’s no longer strong enough to hold itself up. At that point, you can still use it, but once it really falls down, I’d start again.

If you think you’re not going to get to it for awhile, put it in the fridge, covered; that’ll slow it down a lot. It’ll also make your final loaf more sour (as in sourdough bread), so keep that in mind.

Bread is actually very flexible; I’m glad you’re getting into it, because there’s so much fun stuff to learn, and the experimenting is enjoyable, for sure. Good luck!

33. Debby

Great!!! I made these rustic loaves over the weekend and they were eaten on the spot! Thanks always for the step-by-step pictures and directions. You’ve got a huge fan here in Colorado.

34. Nancy S

Hmmm.. I am chomping on the edge piece of this now- I added about 5 ounces of diced prosciutto with the Gruyere- It is fabulous! crunch, chew, crunch, chew… One of your best recipes ever…

35. Teri ww

YUM!
    Just finished making this recipe. It is great! Can’t wait to try it again using some of the other filling ingredients listed above. Thanks to you and KA.

36. Wanda Redmond

My 7 & 8 yr old grandsons were delighted with the ‘volcanoes and the (cheese) lava’ on the interesting bread shapes. And, oh so good!

37. Jules

What do you think the result would be if I used AP flour instead of bread flour? I’m having a little trouble finding it locally.

38. Linda J. Malutin

I made this wonderful cheese bread this weekend. I used European Artisan Flour. In one loaf I used a mixture of Mozzerella cheese and pepperjack and in the other I used Cheddar Cheese. It turned out phenomenol, the taste was great. I shared with my neighbors and two of my sisters. They all enjoyed the cheese bread.My starter didn’t look like yours though. Is that because I didn’t have the correct flour? Or is it because I doubled the reciepie? April 8, 2008

39. PJ Hamel

Linda, I’m glad everyone liked the bread – that’s the most important thing. Starters are funny creatures; depending on where you live, the yeast flying around in your kitchen, etc., they’re all going to act and look different. So don’t worry about the “look” of the starter – so long as it did its job, that’s the important thing!

40. Jules

Ok, my baking started out rough — the starter never really seemed to bubble. And it took longer to rise than I thought. And then the dough was really sticky. But HOLY SMOKES, when it came out of the oven it was amazing! I can’t wait to try it again!

41. Teresa

I need some help. I followed the recipe. The dough was fine from starter through rising, shaping, and proofing. But when I baked it, it did not have oven spring and hence was dense. The chew was nice, but it was too dense. What could have gone wrong? What should I try to adjust next time?

42. Stephanie

I met some King Arthur Flour employees at a restaurant in New Orleans (I was taking pictures of my food for my own blog and one of the women at the next table started commenting about it because she does the same thing) and learned about this great blog! When I get back into my own kitchen, this one is first on my list!

Stephanie, enjoy the bread. You must have met Susan in New Orleans – she’s a fellow blogger here, and she was down there for a trade show. Hope you both enjoyed your meals once you were done photographing them!

44. Pingback: Parmesan Gouda Cheese Bread « Adventures in Shaw

45. Ruud

I have made the cheese-bread and we love it all. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Love and greetings out of the Netherlands, Ruud

Ruud, what cheese did you use? Gruyere? Just interested, you being from the Netherlands with such a wide selection of cheeses to choose from…

And love and greetings from Vermont!

47. Krystle Duheme

I made this bread today. It was so good! Thank you so much for this blog and all the pictures, recipes, etc.

48. Ann Wolfgram

As a CPA, I didn’t have a chance to try making this bread until after tax season. But when I did… My raising bucket didn’t get quite a full as your picture, but my loaves looked every bit as inviting and the taste was fabulous. I served it to my unsuspecting neighbors when they came for dinner. The bread received rave reviews!

49. sdrozdz

I knew when I read the recipe that my family and I would love it. I made it last weekend, and they think I’m a genius! Instead of cutting it into two or four pieces, I cut it into about eight 2″ slices. These made oversized individual portions. They were fantastic! I used cheddar because that’s what was in the refrigerator that day. The recipe is definately a keeper, and I will be making it this weekend, too, because the family is insisting that I do.

50. Doris Lee

I absolutely love this bread!! I came out from the oven looking like I had bought them from a store. I made it with smoked Gouda cheese and it was so yummy. I gave a loaf to our neighbor and she told me it was the best bread she has ever eaten. Thank you so much. Now I can’t wait to try the Rustic Olive Rolls.

51. Jana

This is the best web site for bread I look good because of these recipes and detailed instructions. I made this bread with fontina cheese I am beating the family away from it with a stick. My daughter did the happy dance.
    So easy and so good tomorrow I will start another batch I have requests from friends that have heard about how yummy it is.

52. Mariko

Baked this with my 9 year old grandson. It was Buddy’s first homemade bread and he was SO proud. His head got so big we thought he would have to sleep in the garage because it wouldn’t fit through the front door.
    The bread was everything we expected. We will b experiment using different cheeses

53. non

i’m drooling…this is what I want to know – does the bread freeze?

(I know this is the sort of bread you want to eat right away, but I’d like to know if i can make it in advance)

Non, you could either make and freeze, then thaw at room temp. and reheat in a 350°f oven, tented in foil, for 20minutes or so. Or, better, make up to the point where it’s shaped and on the pan, but don’t let it rise. Wrap, freeze, thaw at room temp., let rise, and bake. Cheese might get a little watery, but might be fine, too – I haven’t tried it. Good luck! PJH

54. non

thank you!

One thing I wish you would do more often is give information on which breads freeze well. My (limited) experience is that some freeze better than others – esp filled breads, sometimes they freeze great, sometimes they seem not to. I saw someone else make this request in an earlier comment. I don’t know if you have facilities to test freezing, but if you do, it would be a big help.

For example, I am thinking of making khachapuri next week, for which you have a recipe on your site, but don’t know how well it freezes. Do you know one way or the other?

Anyway, this is a great blog!

55. Antiques

Wow, this looks even better than lard bread! Perfect way to start off a dinner get-together with some cold wine and hot cheese bread, yummy!!

56. Bridget

I made this bread tonight and I just wanted to say, “THANK YOU!!!” It is delicious and your instructions were perfect! Oh, to have freshly baked bread for dinner…as Martha would say, it’s a good thing! :)

57. chantix

Is this like a cheese danish?

No, not at all. It’s a chewy artisan bread, made with high protein flour. Danish are made with “soft” flour and what’s called a laminated dough, one that’s layered with butter. Also, cheese danish are sweet; this is savory. – PJH

58. Pingback: anna nicole smith kim

59. Pingback: grip

60. Pingback: Fiona

61. NancyB

I just stumbled on this entry last week and knew I had to make it immediately. So on one of the hottest days of the summer so far I spent 4 hours in the kitchen, over half of it with the oven at 400F — and it was worth every drop of sweat. I had already promised a fresh blueberry pie to friends so I couldn’t back out on that but the bread was a surprise and to a person they swooned, they fell to the floor, and they swore allegiance to me and to King Arthur flour! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful thing and for helping to raise my popularity.

As my loaves baked some of the oil separated from the cheese (Gruyere) and ran onto the bottom of the oven causing some minor burning. Next time I’ll use a rimmed sheet. One of the best things about this bread was how the bottoms became crispy, chewy, from that same oil. I had hoped to try the bread both warm and at room temp but the friends would have none of that — we ate every last crumb before it cooled.

YUM!

62. Linda Day

I love this site and just want to thank you for doing it. I am an avid baker and love trying new things . I use this site more than any other. Thank you Thank you !! This cheese bread is better than sex, ( kinda) Better yet with it !! lol. Thanks again!

Linda, I appreciate your enthusiasm! Thanks for connecting – PJH

63. Mary

Can I use a silpat lining instead of parchment paper for this recipe? I love cheese and bread…

Absolutely… easy to clean for sure. – PJH

64. MAMARKS

I made this recipe last week, and it was delicious but a little “chewy”.
    Three Questions:
    1. The recipe calls for instant yeast. I used active dry yeast insted. Is there a ratio of conversion between the two? I used about 20% more active dry yeast than the volume called for of instant.
    2. If I want to make rolls, can I just cut the loaf into smaller pieces before cooking? If so, cook for how long at what temp?
    3. Can I make the dough and cut it into pieces and then freeze it for later thawing and cooking?
    By the way, the smell of the bread and cheese combination made verybody in the house hungry!

Hi –
    1. If the amount of active dry yeast you used turned out well, then no need to change. I generally go 1:1, understanding that active dry will simply rise more slowly.
    2. Yes, just cut smaller. Same temperature, bake till golden brown; exact timing depends on just how small you make the rolls. This is a “figure it out as you go along” thing.
    3. Yes, should be OK. Make the bread up to the point when it’s shaped in a log, but don’t let it rise. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw, let rise, cut and bake as directed, understanding it’ll take longer because the dough has been frozen and is cold.
    Good luck! – PJH

65. COgirl

This bread was delicious. I live at high altitude (as of 6 weeks ago – 10,500′) and made no adjustments other than using the full amount of water since it’s very dry here. I might use a little less next time. I also think because it’s cooler here I could let the starter go a little longer. Still learning to bake at the altitude, but this was fantastic.

I did have the KA pizza dough flavor and used that. Didn’t have the KA pizza seasoning but I made my own. Used the Gruyere cheese. I’m thinking about when I can make this again.

66. Trish

I have made this once before and the family loved it! We are having them all over again today for a Labor Day cook-out. The stuffed bread is now rising and I will be baking in an hour or so. I have to reinterate that this BY FAR one of the nicest, easiest doughs I’ve ever worked with. The first time I made it the results were spectacular – it looked just like your picture (which doesn’t happen often for me). I’m expecting similar results today. Thanks again for a great, great recipe – we love KA flours and baking products.

Trish
    Omaha, NE

Great, Trish – hope your Labor Day feast was SUPERB! – PJH

67. Mary

I finally made this bread this afternoon, and my husband and I already ate one of the large loaves. It is fantastic bread, beautiful to look at and better to eat! My husband was tearing off the melted cheese on the sides before we were even ready to eat it! So good..thank you very much.
    Next time, we will put italian cooked sausage in the bread! Yummy yummy!

68. Mary

One more question: how should we store the second loaf to eat tomorrow? (with tomato bisque soup) In the fridge? The fridge is usually not the best way to store bread as it stales it quite fast, but all that cheese in it, it might be the best idea. I would briefly reheat the rolls before serving. Mary at King Arthur Flour

69. Lilian-4-a-day

I read all those wonderful coments about the bread and sadly have to say that I don’t know where to get King Arthur Bread Flour in southern California. I can find All Purpose at Trader Joe’s, but no bread flour.
    Any hope of finding a source soon??
    I would love to try it with the real thing rather then with some other bread flour.
    Riverside, CA.

Hi Lilian – I’ve passed your question along to our sales team, and they should be emailing your shortly. I KNOW we’re there – just not sure which chains… thanks for your interest – PJH

Hi – OK, I found out our King Arthur bread flour is available in Ralph’s, Von’s, and Albertson’s. Happy baking! – PJH

70. Lilian-4-a-day

Hi PJH,
    I had no idea. We shop at our inland empire store, Stater Brothers, so I would have never looked at the other stores.
    I attended one of your Riverside demos a few years back, there was no source in Riverside at that time.
    I’m very happy to have been given your webside by my daughter. I will go shopping tomorrow. :)
    sincerely,
    Lilian-4-a-day.

71. Chef George, Philochefer

I use ten ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, six ounces of diced jalapenos per recipe, and bake the slices, or loaves, on parchment lined sheet pans. I gave a large loaf to two neighbors for xmas and they devoured them before the sun went down!! I presented a proposal to teach an artisan bread class in my local community and brought these as samples of my craft….the coordinator said: “Let me show you the kitchen where you will be teaching”, and approved my proposal on the spot!! Thanks for a great recipe.

72. SarahD

Looks delish. Any suggestions for making it part whole wheat?

Sure, go for it – it’ll be denser, drier, and won’t rise as high. That’s the tradeoff – try 1/3 whole wheat (preferably white whole wheat) to start, see if you like it. – PJH

73. Marilyn

Goodness this looks good. Just received link to the recipe in your KA Flour Newsletter. I’m going to mix up the biga tonight in my Zo. I’ll try as is first with the KA bread flour. I also have some KA Organic White Whole Wheat Flour. Would that work with this recipe? or would it be too heavy? I’ve had good success substituting the Organic White flour in some recipes.

Can almost taste it already — I’ve been looking for a cheese bread recipe.

Marilyn
    Baton Rouge, LA

Marilyn, the white wheat flour won’t make the loaf as pictured – it’ll probably be denser and drier and not rise as well. However, your choice… Compromise by going 1/3 www, 2/3 AP flour, perhaps? Good luck – PJH

74. Ann

This bread looks absolutely yummy! I am glad you emailed this blog to me–I might not have found it for a while on my own! Thanks. I’ll definitely be checking back frequently!

Ann
    Cheyenne, WY

75. Marilyn

Thanks so much for answering me so quickly. I started my biga last night with only the KA bread flour. It looks great this morning. Rose much more than I thought it would. Just checked in here before continuing to see if I could switch to the KA Organic WWW. I’m going to stick with the bread flour as the pictures look enticing. Planning to use the Cabot cheese I have.

Love King Arthur! Purchased my bread machine through your catelog years ago and frequent your online catelog now for items that I can’t find in my stores. Your customer service is one of the best out there.

Marilyn

Thanks, Marilynn – I haven’t tried this with the KA www yet, as it’s just so nice the way it is… Good luck with it – PJH

76. Deb

I haven’t made a starter for bread before and I was wondering if it made a difference what I used to cover the bowl? Can I use plastic wrap or should I use a clean tea towel?

Thanks for your help!
    Deb

I like to use plastic wrap so it doesn’t dry out; a towel would work OK, probably, but no need for it when we have plastic at our disposal. Some would say a towel lets ambient wild yeast in the air get into the mixture, which is a good thing, but I haven’t found it makes much difference, at least in a plain overnight starter. Enjoy – PJH

77. Ashley

Oh, I am glad this thread is still active! I just made this bread yesterday, and was amazed at how well it came out! [Some of my excursions into bread baking produce pretty unusual "specimens."]

I made the 4 smaller loaves, and used an ancient Zo’ machine for the first rise–just left it in the machine and it came right up to the top of the pan. Two of those 4 loaves were devoured immediately!

What I am wondering–today the other 2 are pretty hard and not terribly appealing. Is there perhaps something I did wrong? I stored them overnight on the counter, having put them in a plastic bag after they were totally cool, then today tried warming them at low heat in the oven for a short while, wrapped in foil.

Anyway, thank you for the great recipe! Any bread that comes out right the first time when I am making it is, by definition, great!

Ashley

This is definitely a bread that will harden on standing, esp. with the cheese, which stiffens it considerably. Just cut off a chunk, cover loosely with foil, and heat for about 10 minutes in a 350°F oven. It’ll be good as new. PJH

78. Deb

Thanks PJH for your quick response to my question. I did try to use a kitchen towel and the result looked more like a shrunken moon rock-not the nice, bubbly starter from the picture. I made a new batch this morning and used the plastic wrap to cover the bowl. So far it looks just like the photo. I can’t wait to make this bread tomorrow. Gotta love a holiday weekend!

Thanks again.

Deb

Good, Deb – live and learn… have fun! PJH

79. K. S. Micken

Prompted by the questions about using whole wheat and PJH’s suggestion to use white whole wheat, that’s what I tried (KA, of course!): 1 cup of www as part of the final 3.5 cups of flour. Also added a Tbs of “vital wheat gluten” to help compensate. The dough rose just fine and was not dense; it had the same interior “holes” like the pictures. Yipee! While that’s not a lot of whole wheat, at least it’s some. Next time — and there will be a next time — I’ll try with more. Thanks for the recipe and all the good in-progress pictures. This was a great recipe for a day when we were snowed in.

80. S. Myers

What a treat! It did turn out just like the picture. The taste and texture were incredible. When it came out of the oven, I had to call the neighborhood (such as it is. we live OUT in the country). Everyone shared and enjoyed the moment. That’s what it’s all about!

So right … baking is sharing. Thanks for carrying on the tradition! PJH

81. Barbara

Add my voice to the chorus of thank yous for the link to this recipe in the KA Flour online newsletter.

This recipe was an instant addition to our list of family favorites. I made it twice in four days: once with smoked Gouda and a second time with Cabot’s Private Stock cheddar (black wax). The Gouda was very good but the cheddar was sublime! I think I’ll try it next with a Swiss and maybe add some diced ham.

This is one of the stickiest doughs I’ve worked with in my 30+ years of breadbaking. By sprinkling flour on my bench knife and on my fingers I could both roll the dough into a log and cut it with a minimum of frustration.

Gruyère-Stuffed Crusty Loaves? No way – at our house this is known as Volcano Bread!

A happy, healthy New Year to you all!!

82. Mike J

I made this last weekend with a sourdough starter instead of the overnight commercial yeast starter, and it was sublime. It was so good in fact that after devouring the first loaf we grabbed two of the remaining loaves and immediatly headed over to the neighbors to share.

I think I’m going to try it this weekend with some smoked cheddar.

Yes, these loaves do lend themselves to all kinds of cheese, don’t they? Glad you enjoyed them – PJH

83. Marcia

I too have KA sourdough starter but how much should I use? I have a lot of recipes that call for a starter to be made the night before. Is there a rule of thumb I could use based on how much flour is used? Or do I just automatically use 1 cup of starter?

I have Brie and some Cabot cheese left from the holiday. That sounds nice and gooey. Maybe chunk the Brie??

I tend to bake on the week end so left overs can be taken to school.

This is how one would use their sourdough starter. If using one 1 c. starter, take out 1 c. flour and 1/2 c. water in the recipe. Combine with the rest of the flour and water and let rest overnight until bubbly. You may have to add a touch more yeast. Yes, chunk the brie or soften first and spread on the dough. Elisabeth @ KAF

84. Andrea

If I use sourdough starter, I assume it must be fed first? Then use a cup of fed starter with the remaining 1/4 cup of flour and 1/2 t. or more of instant yeast? (sorry, I’m new to bread baking, especially with a sourdough starter).

Andrea, it’s good to experiment; that’s how you learn. But understand if you’re new to bread-baking, and changing recipes, AND using sourdough, there’ll be times when the bread doesn’t come out as you expect. Just learn from the experience, OK? Don’t be discouraged. I can tell you that sourdough starter is basically about half flour and half liquid, tipped a bit towards the liquid side. So however much FED starter you use, leave out that much flour and liquid, in the proportions I noted, from the recipe you’re following. Use the same amount of yeast. Good luck! PJH

85. susan

I made this last weekend and had a real problem with the starter. I made the starter the night below. I brought the starter upstairs overnight to make sure that it was warm enough (besides being the coldest weekend of the year- we keep our house cool at night- thrifty Yankee!). I felt stupid bringing the starter “to bed” with me but I wanted the starter to actually “start”. The next morning the starter was a little puffy but not bubbly. I added some more water (I looked at the comments) and by 3:00 I was able to continue with the recipe. The starter never got bubbly like the picture. Do you think that the starter didn’t work because of the cold/dry weather? The bread came out good but I just wish I knew why the starter didn’t develop. I have never used a starter before. The yeast was fresh and I did keep it covered. Great bread but can be a little tricky.

Hi Susan – This is indeed a very dry starter, and one that has a more challenging time rising. did you use instant yeast? Next time, try leaving the salt out (adding salt is unusual for starters), cutting the yeast back to 1/4 teaspoon, and cutting the flour back to 1 cup (add that extra 1/4 cup the next day). I think you’ll have more success. If you don’t bake bread often (maybe you don’t?), there’s not a lot of ambient yeast floating around to help the starter, and these steps should help. Good luck – PJH

86. Susan

Hi PJ- I don’t make bread often. But I decided to start considering how expensive bread is. I will try your suggestions the next time I make the starter and let you know.

87. Meagan

I just made the starter and realized that it says to let it rest for 14 hours not 24 hours. I thought 24 was long but made it anyways only to realize I was wrong. Should I let this rise for the 14 hours then stick it in the fridge tonight until tomorrow when I am ready to start making it for dinner? Or should I put it in the fridge now to do a really long slow rise? Thanks.

Meagan – Yes, put it in the fridge now and get back to it tomorrow. Elisabeth @ KAF

88. Dan

I just had a quick question. I’m just getting into the baking bread thing and many recipes say let the dough double in size. Now I don’t have a container like you had so it’s hard for me to know when it’s double. My question is what kind of container is that? How large is that container? Where could I get something like that? Thanks in advance

Hi Dan – Welcome to the wonderful world of bread baking! The rising container I use is a big (8-cup) acrylic measure; we sell them here, or you might find something similar at a kitchen store. Make sure you get one that’s at least 8 cups. You can also use straight-sided container (food-safe, of course), and simply measure how tall the dough is when you put it in, then make a little mark on the side of where it’ll be when it’s doubled. Also, don’t make yourself crazy with “doubled” – the idea is to have it rise significantly. It might more than double if you take your eye off it; it you’re tired of waiting, and it’s not quite there, fine. Bread-baking is both art and science; don’t get too stuck on the science, OK? Good luck – PJH

89. Jane Dawson

That looks utterly mouthwatering! I want!!!
    I’m going to have to make some bread just like this. Do you think it’ll work with tiny slivers of onions and garlic mixed in with the cheese?

Absolutely, Jane – sounds delicious… PJH

90. Patti S

VYummy! I will try this recipe this weekend. But first I have a couple of questions.
    First, why the spritz of water as the cheese is laid down? I’m finding that my experimentations with my version of a French / Garlic Bread (rolling out a rested Healthy Bread in 5 Master loaf) causes a swirl of flavoring next to an open space, swirling around the layers. I use jarred, minced garlic, Italian Seasoning, and Parmesan Cheese and I thought it was a wet-meets-dry thing that’s causing the open space. I like it when it’s solid bread and not a gaping-hole-kind-of-swirl.
    Also, I’m still looking for the ‘right feel’ with my dough. Yours looks smooth and pliable. Mine often ends us too loose after resting (too wet?). I mix my dough by hand (I’ve no stand mixer yet so I use your Swedish dough whisk, which I absolutely love), and sometimes it’s too wet; sometimes it’s too dry. My question is, how do I recognize when the dough is just right, when I have just enough liquid, or when to stop kneading or stop resting? Maybe I’m switching too much between the (wetter) HBin5 and the traditional doughs to much.
    Please keep doing what you do and I swear I learn at least one new thing from you a day! Thanks!

Patti – The reason for the spritzing of water is so the cheese has something to adhere to for easier rolling. Sometimes, the gaping hole can be a rolling technique problem but it could also be caused by the filling. If the filling is oily, buttery, fatty, etc. there can be some gaps left behind as the filling melts between the dough layers. This dough is quite wet or slack as you can see from the blog pictures. It is workable but is on the sticky side. It sounds like your dough was actually fine. In general, most doughs need to be soft and smooth when the kneading is complete. If it seems to dry, do not be afraid to add more liquid and if too wet, add more flour. Good luck, Patti. Elisabeth @ KAF

91. davefs

Made this today and I have to say it’s just spectacular!Beautiful and delicious!I’m thinking for next time some home-smoked Cabot Sharp white cheddar,Jalapenos and maybe bacon bits.Or maybe Mozzarella and chopped sundried tomato?So many possibilities,and of course it’s fantastic just”plain”! I’ll be making this a lot.Thanks so much for the recipe!

Home-smoked Cabot – boy, does THAT sound good! As do your choices for extra ingredients. When’s the party?! PJH

92. Kim

I’ve made this twice now, the first time with all-purpose flour and about 2 T. of vital wheat gluten, and the second time, with all white whole wheat flour and about 4 1/2 T. of vital wheat gluten. Both times it came out great. The wheat flour version was not too dense or heavy. My only disappointment is that I baked it the second time on one of those airbake cookie sheets, so the cheese on the bottom didn’t develop that brown, crunchy crust. It was still good though!

93. Jo

I have found the motivation to conquer my fear of yeast! In the distant future after I’ve messed up on some other, simpler recipes. Several times. The blog is awesome, by the way. Keep it up!
    We are glad you are enjoying the site, Jo! Thanks for the feedback. Elisabeth

94. Storage

I’m making this bread for a birthday present – If not eaten right away, how long will it last?- can she freeze one of the two loaves?
    This is one of those breads that is best eaten fresh. Why not invite a few more friends over and make a real party of it? The bread will keep at room temperature for a day or two, and would make great grilled cheese sandwiches. ~MaryJane

And sure, she can freeze a baked loaf; it’s best enjoyed used within a month of freezing, and reheated before serving. Enjoy – PJH

95. Elvira

Good info. Lucky me I found your site by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book-marked it for later!|

We are happy you have found us! Happy baking! Elisabeth

96. Nutrilisa

Dear PJH,
    Can I use my sourdough starter, already residing in my refrigerator? If so fed or unfed? Thanks, Nutrilisa

The preferment or overnight starter provides a much different flavor profile than the classic or maintained sourdough starter. You’ll be disappointed in the flavor results – it’s best to make this recipe as written and save your sourdough for another recipe. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

97. Meredith

Hello! Is there any way to make this on a weeknight, like a part where I can leave the dough in the fridge overnight? I’m dying to serve this on Halloween with some hot soup!

Thanks!

It may be best to make this from start to finish on the weekend, then refresh or reheat to serve these cheesy rolls warm from the oven during the busy week. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF