Yeast bread in a hurry: it doesn't HAVE to take forever. Honest

Quick, think of five baking aromas that bring you running to the kitchen to see what’s up. (And no, you can’t count “fruit pie filling burning on the oven floor” as one of them. We’re being positive here.)

My five?
Brownies, in the minute before they come out of the oven;
Garlic bread;
•Cinnamon anything; apple pie and oatmeal cookies in particular;
Pepperoni pizza;
•Yeast bread. Any kind. Ciabatta, sticky buns, raisin-pecan rye… Anything made with yeast.

Note that three of my five favorite baking scents involve yeast. Not surprising; enjoying the aroma of fresh-baked bread is probably programmed into our genes, just like our attraction to sugar. (Did you know studies have shown that putting a bit of sugar on an infant’s tongue will create “happy brain waves”? Gee, bet the same thing happens to me when I take a bite of chocolate cake.)

Bread is, after all, one of the first prepared foods known to human civilization. Once our nomadic hunter/gatherer progenitors settled down and began to farm, about 12,000 years ago, wheat was one of their first crops. And bread one of their first creations. Think of those humble beginnings, those first rudimentary, unleavened flatbreads. Now, thousands of years and zillions of loaves later, we’ve created… Wonder Bread.

And sandwich rye. Baguettes and Pan Cubano, whole wheat pain de mie and bagels, and yes, good ol’ Wonder Bread-style white sandwich bread. Check out our Web site: we offer hundreds of yeast bread recipes. We’ve found that yeast bread bakers are our most passionate, engaged readers. Heck, even the posts on this blog elicit many more comments when the subject is yeast bread, compared to anything else (though chocolate runs a close second).

If you’ve never baked yeast bread, here’s a “gimme”—a recipe so simple, you’ll wonder why you thought yeast bread was challenging. Blitz Bread goes from inspiration to on-the-table in under 2 hours. It requires no kneading. And it’ll bring everyone running to the kitchen as it bakes. So, what are you waiting for? Take the yeast bread plunge!

img_5073.JPG
WOW, look at all that yeast! If you’ve baked bread before, you’ll realize that a tablespoon of yeast is more than you’d usually use. But we’re after speed here; and the more yeast you start with, the faster your bread will rise.

img_5075.JPG
Beat everything together for 60 seconds at high speed in your electric mixer. Can you do this in a bread machine? Sure. Set it on the dough cycle and let it mix for probably 5 to 10 minutes, till the dough looks like this. Can you do it in a food processor? I haven’t, but I’m betting you could. Use the plastic dough blade, if you have one, and process till it looks like this. Can you do it by hand? Absolutely—if you’ve got really strong arms and lots of energy! (Hey, there’s a reason they call appliances “modern conveniences.”)

img_5077.JPG
Nice! Look at how smooth and elastic this dough is. That’s the gluten, doing its job.

img_5074.JPG
Spray a 9” x 13” pan with non-stick vegetable oil spray, then drizzle with olive oil. The spray keeps the bread from sticking, and the olive oil gives the bottom crust wonderful flavor.

img_5082.JPG
Press the dough into the pan. It’ll take a bit of nudging to get it into the corners; just oil your fingers and press.

img_5087.JPG
Let the dough rise, covered, for 60 minutes. Using your index finger, make dimples in the dough. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning, Italian herbs, or your favorite combination of savories—rosemary and black pepper, oregano and thyme…

img_4666.JPG
Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes, till it’s golden brown. Turn it out of the pan onto a rack; if you’ve greased your pan well, it should flop right out onto the rack. If you leave the bread in the pan as it cools, the bottom crust will become unpleasantly soggy.

img_6375.JPG
A basket of Blitz Bread is an easy (and much appreciated) contribution to any potluck.

img_4681.JPG
And here it is in a cheese-stuffed version. I crumbled about a cup of feta cheese into the dough at the end of the 60 seconds of beating, then mixed gently just to combine. Whoa—this is GOOD!!!

You might have noticed I made feta focaccia in the post just previous to this one. I bought a big block of it at our local club store, so I’ve been putting it into everything lately. And I’ve found feta is particularly good for baking, as it doesn’t melt, but just softens nicely. So there.

Read, review, and rate (please!) our recipe for Blitz Bread.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Supermarket Rosemary Focaccia, 36¢/ounce

Bake at home: Blitz Bread, including optional Pizza Dough Flavor and cheese powder, 10¢/ounce. Without optional ingredients, 7¢/ounce.

comments

1. pat Cordes

If I do not have instant yeast but onlt regular how much should I use?

I’d use 2 packets of regular, dissolved in water first. Or if you have active dry in a jar, 4 teaspoons, again dissolved in water first. Good luck! – PJH

2. Sue E. Conrad

Oh-h-h, be still, my heart!!! This is another of P.J.’s recipes I’ll be printing off………..unfortunately, I’ll be putting it in the “to-make-later” file until my husband and I sell our boat – hey, anyone interested in the liveaboard lifestyle in FL???? – as I have no room for my trusty KitchenAid stand mixer (harvest gold in color, a Christmas present in the 70s). Thanks again, P.J., for yet another lip-smacking recipe!!

3. Daphne W

Suh-weet. I am totally making this next time we have pasta. I’m just dabbling in yeast bread for the first time this summer, and this looks amazing!

4. Jules

Ok, once and for all, I’m going to learn the difference between active dry/instant/rapid rise yeasts. I know that active dry needs to be activated in a liquid. Are instant and rapid rise essentially the same things?

Jules, all three are different. RapidRise is Fleichmann’s brand name for an active dry yeast that works very quickly, but also gives up the ghost more quickly than the other two. It’s a sprinter, not a marathoner. Active dry is a slower-acting yeast, but lasts longer. It’s prepared by being dried at a high temperature, which kills a lot of the cells. the dead cells collect around and surround the live ones, which is why it needs to be dissolved before using; to slough off the dead cells. Instant yeast (a.k.a. bread machine yeast) Is dried at a lower temperature, resulting in more cells remaining alive. Thus it doesn’t need to be dissolved. It acts quickly, but also stays strong for the long haul, which is why I like it the best: it’s easy to use, and strong. I prefer SAF Red instant yeast, which is what we use here in the test kitchen and have for many, many years. Hope that helps- PJH

5. Flavio

You say: “Beat everything together for 60 seconds at high speed (…)” — but I don’t get: what’s “everything”? Those pictures are awesome, I can’t wait to give my girl a nice surprise!

Flavio, click on the link for Blitz Bread right before the pictures start (at the end of the opening paragraphs) – it will take you to the recipe. Beat together everything except whatever herbs you’d like to sprinkle on top. Hope your girl likes it! – PJH

6. DF

Does this work with wholewheat bread dough?
    Also, do you have a quick recipe for a crusty sourdough loaf?
    Thanks!

DF, you can try it with whole wheat – the bread will probably be denser and drier. And sorry, no, I don’t have a quick recipe for a crusty sourdough loaf. It’s kind of oxymoronic, as “quick” and “sourdough” are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Does anyone out there have a recipe that DF might enjoy? -PJH

7. Barbara

Yum, this was delicious – saw the recipe yesterday, printed the recipe yesterday and it was so easy my 18-year-old son could make it (and did!). He added some cheese powder, some Italian seasoning and then sprinkled the top with a little kosher salt – EXCELLENT!

Well, we know who’s going to be baking the bread in YOUR house from now on… :) – PJH

8. Patti

I live at a higher altitude. Should I decrease the yeast in this like I usually do for yeast breads?

Yes, Patti, definitely. Otherwise it would be in WAY too much of a hurry! – PJH

9. Deb

Oh boy that looks so delicious! I just whipped it up. I added little chunks of Asiago cheese to mine. I’m waiting now for the hour rise time.

10. Elizabeth H.

Would this work with some white whole wheat flour?

Yes, Elizabeth, it would. Understand that the more whole wheat you add, the denser your bread will be. So I wouldn’t start with 100% whole wheat. Start with 1 cup of whole wheat to 2 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose, and see how you like it. If it’s good, gradually add more till you get to your favorite balance (which may actually be 100% whole wheat – who knows! That white whole wheat is umm-UMM GOOD whole wheat flour…) – Have fun! – PJH

11. Jules

PJ, you rock. I just ordered some yeast.

Awwwright Jules! Store it in a plastic or glass container, well sealed, in the fridge or freezer. And use it right as it is – no need to warm it up. Have fun! – PJH

12. Steven Dayton

I a fast paced world (wish my world wasn’t so) this is a blessing. When you can take a lot of time to get bread going but want something a little sooner this one is it. I just need to get a better pan next time. The first time making it was a great success. I went with the feta cheese mixed in. I can see this one as being open for theme baking possibilities galore. Thanks for posting this and all the other recipes, tips, hints, and inspiration.

StevenD

13. Sddickes

Thanks PJ and all the hotline folk too – Any suggestions for modifying for KA bread flour? My hubby really likes the taste of that flour.

Just add a couple more tablespoons of water, till the dough is nice and soft as it shows in the photos… – PJH

14. Audrey

PJ…the discussion of yeasts here is really helping me – thank you!
    While we’re (sort of) on the subject, I bought a large bag of ‘instant dry yeast’ for my bread machine. Can I use it if I am making ‘regular’ yeast bread (mixed in my mixer, rising on the counter, baked in the oven?) If so, how would I convert? Thx.

Hi Audrey, You absolutely can use the instant in your ‘regular’ yeast bread baking. Personally I use the amount called for in the recipe to keep it simple. Just keep in mind, if the recipe is calling for you to proof the yeast in a seperate amount of water, the recipe is counting on that liquid to keep the dough soft. I generally include it in with the rest of the liquid and put the yeast in with the flour. I hope this helps. Enjoy!! Jessica @ the bakers hotline.

15. sandra

This looks awesome and easy !
    Have you done a ciabatta 101 , with photos ?
    I am a bread baking newbie , and really love to see how it should look every step of the way .
    I have learned so much by reading all the questions and answers here !

Sandra, ciabatta is on the way – sometime in the next month or so. I’ve done it, taken the photos, just haven’t slotted it in yet. Stay tuned- and thanks for staying connected. – PJH

16. Jackie

I would love to try this, but I only have a hand mixer, though it is a good KitchenAid that has served me well! Is that going to be enough power for this recipe? I have long feared yeast, but have also wanted to try baking bread for the longest time!

Hi Jackie, I haven’t tried this with a hand mixer but I don’t see why you couldn’t. I wouldn’t necessarily mix it on high speed though, it may not be the best for your mixer. Medium speed should be fine though. Foccacia is a great place to begin working with yeast so enjoy! Jessica @ the bakers hotline.

17. Kevin Powers

I find it difficult to find potato flour where I live. How can I make the pain de mie you cite in you posting without it? Can this bread be maid using regular unbleached flour or bread flour?

Hi Kevin – Yes, the recipe calls for King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour. The potato flour is in there for softness and moistness. Substitute 1/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes. Good luck – PJH

18. Sue E. Conrad

Hi again, P.J.!

Decided to recheck this blog as I thought I remembered a mention of pan Cubano………..and I was right!!! We’re able to buy authentic Cuban bread at SweetBay (Hannaford’s FL “sibling”) but I have always wanted to make my own, especially when we visit our youngest daughter and son-in-law and make lechon asado (roast pork with mojo sauce), black beans and rice, fried plantains, AND homemade sangria……well, now I can, and I’ll be making while in VT. Yum, yum!!!

Menu sounds great, Sue – what time exactly did you say dinner is?! – PJH

19. Jana

Thanks again for a great recipe. Hubby told me mid afternoon about a food day tomorrow. Yikes he wanted the foccicia… with the starter and 5 hour rise, so not going to happen. Then I remembered the blog and the blitz. Thanks he LOVES it! My yeast must be getting old I am just not getting the rise on these flat breads. It works great in the starters, could it be something else I am flubbing? Thanks Jana

Hi Jana – Are you using instant yeast or active dry (NOT RapidRise) in your starter breads? Fast-acting yeasts poop out and can’t manage a l ong haul of overnight or multiple rises… But if you’re having trouble with the rise in the Blitz Bread, then yeah, your yeast might just be old and tired. Try SAF Red – it’s the one we use in the test kitchen. Cheers – PJH

20. Jesse

Would this recipe work in a loaf pan? I’m looking for a quick sandwich bread recipe. Thanks.

It might. It might also be too soft a dough to support itself in the tall rise required in a loaf pan. I’d say give it a try in a 9″ x 5″ pan; don’t expect it to dome as it rises (it’ll stay relatively flat across the surface); and bake it when it’s just about at the top of the pan. You’ll get a rectangular loaf, but that’s OK, right? Let us know how it turns out – PJH

21. Christine

ZOMG, this looks awesome!! Came to your blog from Slashfood.

I will definitely try this. I haven’t been baking as much bread since my son was diagnosed with celiac disease…he’s only 2, but he wants everything we have, and it’s hard making bread or sticky buns (yum!) when there’s not something equivalent for him to eat sans gluten.

There’s been a lot of press on ‘fast’ breads…you experts should test your chops with gluten free bread. It’s challenging!!! I usually end up using a packaged mix. Quick breads and cookies are easier, the gluten isn’t as important.

Thanks for giving me a quick option to make for the rest of the family!!

22. Christine

Oops, now I look at your site (which I haven’t perused in awhile) and see that you have GF mixes. Hurrah!! That’s something I’ll have to try!

23. Kat DeFonce

I take quite a razzing because KA is the ONLY site I visit on a daily basis on-line! (And it is daily.) I made this bread yesterday afternoon as I was also making Sue Gray’s Fruit & Poppy Seed Loaf (not in a bread machine as I gave mine away). This gave me a chance to make both breads! Thanks! I added a bit of shredded Gruyere and mixed some pizza seasoning right into the batter, as well as on top. It was fantastic! I have to admit, I’m addicted to this web site.

24. AmyEmilia

Finalmente! (Finally!) A quick foccacia recipe – I will be doing this tomorrow for sure. My husband loves foccacia but the long version wore my patience out. This looks to be an excellent stand-in. And the discussion on the differnt yeasts is very helpful too. Thanks so much for continued inspiration. KA is the best.

25. ROSEMARIE H.

I LOVE THE BLITZ BREAD. SO EASY BUT VERY STICKY.
    I HAD A HARD TIME GETTING IT OUT OF THE MIXER BOWL AND OF COURSE, USED MY HANDS, THUS VERY STICKY FINGERS TO CLEAN.
    SHOULD I HAVE USED A LITTLE MORE FLOUR.
    TASTED GREAT THOUGH.

Hi Rosemarie – It’s supposed to bee that sticky; don’t add more flour. Just spray non-stick vegetable oil spray on your hands (or even just wet them thoroughly), and it’ll be a lot easier to scoop it out of the bowl into the pan. Good luck next time!- PJH

26. Jen

I’m going to have to try this. with a newborn, I haven’t had a chance to bake as much as I’d like. this looks simple enough that I can supervise the older kids and keep the baby happy.

27. Brenda

Rosemarie: vinyl (or latex) gloves–I buy them when Rite Aid has two boxes for the price of one to keep handy under the sink. They started out for working with hot peppers, but now are used to make anything messy a breeze–cutting up raw meat, picking over chicken, peeling & seeding roasted peppers, wet or sprayed with oil for handling messy doughs; anything where gloves would help but household gloves wouldn’t do. When you’re done, grab the edge, peel off wrong-side-out, and throw in the trash. The mess is contained, and it won’t take forever getting your hands clean.

28. Roger

With all the talk of yeasts, I suspect I’ve been using the wrong type for overnight rising. Bread left to rise overnight in the fridge is not only wonderfully convenient, but also tastes terrific. Unfortunately, mine never rises as well as that made by the straight dough method.

I’ve been using King Arthur’s SAF Gold for years without even thinking. Could this be the wrong kind for long, slow rises? If so, what should I be using instead.

Hi Roger,
    SAF gold yeast is formulated to work best with sweet doughs, or sourdoughs. SAF Red is the best ‘all-around’ yeast, so you could give the Red a try.

Happy Baking!

MaryJane @ The Baker’s Hotline

29. Nel

For DF, who wanted a quick, crusty sourdough.

I can’t guarantee anything, since I’m a beginner with soudough! I’ve got a wonderfully active starter (wild yeast from here in Poland, which didn’t have much ‘ooomph,’ until I fed it with 1/2 cup of home-grown, home-ground whole-wheat my Dad made in California, then it blew the lid off the container!).

I had a LOT of starter – nice and winey and strong – and didn’t want to throw it out. So I fed it and and set it out overnight. It doubled, and I put about two cups of the starter into a bowl. I added about half a teaspoon of instant yeast (the kind you don’t have to proof in water), a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of sugar. Then I started adding flour until I had a good, workable dough. Turned it out on a floured board and kneaded it until it was smooth. I used it to make two pizzas (14-inch, thick and puffy). I baked the crusts first until they were baked but not browned, added toppings and put them back into the oven to finish baking.

As for crusty, I haven’t advanced so far as to get a cloche or rig something up (cloches aren’t available here). So the dough didn’t have that good, thick crust of a cloche-baked sourdough loaf. The pizza crusts did turn out good and crispy on the bottom. But the important thing was the FLAVOR! YummmMMY. I’m so happy with the flavor of this sourdough starter I’ve got.

I think if you are happy with your sourdough starter, you can just feed it up until you’ve got too much, and then use maybe 1/3 starter to 2/3 flour with the addition of half a teaspoon or so of commercial yeast. My dough doubled in an hour. I let it sit in the pizza pans for another half hour (I was hungry!) and got good oven spring.

I’ve been baking yeast breads for 30 years, so for me, I don’t need a scientifically accurate recipe: just the basic more-or-less ingredients and knowing how the dough should look and behave. If you’re confident, I think you can try this method. The commercial yeast gives you the quick rise you want; the large amount of sourdough starter gives you the flavor.

30. Nel

When I learned to bake, back in the ’70s, I used a Better Crocker cookbook from 1949 (this was before every BC Cookbook recipe began, ‘Take one Betty Crocker cake mix’ – everything was ‘from scratch’). The yeast recipes usually called for fresh, live yeast or packaged dry.

Now that you’ve explained the differences among the three types of dry yeast, what about fresh, live yeast? Over here (Poland) sometimes when I’m in the supermarket and I take dry yeast off the shelf, an older woman will say, ‘Why do you use that? Fresh yeast is better!’ This seems to happen more often at holidays like Easter, when I suppose it’s contrary to tradition not to use fresh yeast. In the past, you could go to smaller stores and ask for specific amounts of fresh yeast, and they’d carve it off a block the size of a brick and weigh it – like cheese. So there definitely seems to be a fresh-yeast bias in this culture.

So, what about fresh yeast? Does it exist anymore in the US (I haven’t baked bread at home in 16 years)? Does anyone still use it? Are there any advantages to using it instead of dry yeast? And what about proportions: how much do you use?

I understand that dry yeast is more convenient – has a longer shelf life. But is fresh yeast ‘better’ in any sense?

Thanks!

Hi Nel,

There certainly are bakers who swear by fresh yeast only, crediting it with better rise and better flavor. However, it is pretty hard to find fresh yeast in US grocery stores, and you can’t always be sure it is ‘fresh’ fresh yeast, as it has a very short shelf life.
    Some bakeries are willing to sell small amounts of fresh yeast to home bakers, usually for less than $1.00. It never hurts to ask. To substitute fresh for dried yeast, one packed tablespoon of fresh equals one packet (2 1/4 tsp) of dried yeast. Fresh yeast needs to be proofed first in warm water, like active dry yeast. So, if you can find a good source for fresh yeast, give it a try, and see if you notice a difference.

Happy Baking!
    MaryJane @ The Baker’s Hotline

31. Ludovica Sforza

I/m interested in your opinion in regard to the large dose of yeast in the above recipe.. I have found in some old recipes that call for such a dose, the final product can often have a strong residual yeast taste. I was reading Bread Baking Babes Blog # 14 2008. Tanna makes the following observation regarding yeast for her Royal Crown Tortano Bread.
    I throw this out for discussion…. Anyone?

“The dough starts with a simple water flour yeast pre-ferment the night before you start baking. As I’ve been baking bread over years, I’ve found most recipes use way, way more yeast than is needed or good. I used all the yeast this recipe called for – 1/4 teaspoon yeast. Doesn’t sound like much does it? Actually, a 1/4 teaspoon is a lot, at least for this recipe, because that 1/4 teaspoon yeast gets dissolved into a cup of water and you pour off 2/3 of that cup and only use 1/3 cup in the pre-ferment. There is no other yeast in this recipe.”

Ludovica, that information is exactly right for a pre-ferment bread. But this is an entirely different animal – it’s meant to rise FAST and BIG, and the way to do that is basically to OD on the yeast…Everyone who’s tried this thinks it tastes wonderful, no overly yeasty taste.Give it a try – I think you’ll like it. -PJH

32. Sddickes

Hello. I made the bread yesterday just as in the recipe. Lovely aroma, yeasty taste, great crust. My hubby and I ate the whole thing – Thanks for the recipe. Susan

33. mike

I saw this recipe, thought I would give it a try. I bought a new mixer because I didn’t have one, picked up the ingredients (including feta cheese) and went to it only to have my new mixer die never to spin again 45 seconds into the mixing process. So the bread is rising and I’m hoping for the best and planning on a trip back to walmart to get my money back for the weak mixer. I’ll let ya’ll know hoe it turns out.

Mike, I’m betting it’ll turn out just fine – at least you got 45 seconds out of it, which might be just enough. But how aggravating! Guess you know what brand NOT to buy next time, huh? :) PJH

34. Ginny

Terrific bread, easy to prepare and bake. Love it, served the first batch to company and they all raved about it and took copies of the recipe.I used Italian seasoning for toppingand next time might try some french fried onion topping.

35. non

i just made this bread. this is the first bread from baker’s banter i’ve tried – i’ve meant to try some others. came out great! i used dried herbs in the dough and and feta. impressive for such a quick bread. thanks for the recipe

36. Sharon

I made this on a Sunday when I was going to my daughter’s for supper, they loved it and kept the leftovers. I made it again for a church pot luck and again, no leftovers. I guess I’ll have to make some for myself.
    Everyone who eats it wants the recipe. The first time I made it, it climbed up the beaters and made a big mess. Had to take the plate off where the beaters go in to clean it out. Now I use the dough hooks and it works fine.

I had bought instant yeast for a specific recipe. But when I ran out of active dry I couldn’ find it where I had bought the instant so was using the instant for everything. Then I read in the KA catalog that active dry yeast gives a different flavor. So I ordered a pound from the catalog and made sure to label the jars in my freezer so I know which one I’m using. I’m not sure if there is a difference, but still use the active dry in all my “old” recipes.

I love this recipe, can’t get any easier than this.

37. Jessica

For the person who wants a quick sourdough, the closest one can come is recipes that have a loooong sponge stage followed by a looong slow rise, either in the refrigerator with normal amounts of yeast or at cool room temp with a small amount of yeast.

Sponge = a lot of water, some flour, and a tiny amount of yeast, mixed to make a batter. I’ve seen recipes where you could leave the sponge around for 24 hours with no trouble.

If you time the stages right, you can start the day beforehand, work a few minutes on the sponge, leave it alone for 24 hours, mix up the dough the next evening (or morning, whichever is more convenient for you), then bake and shape in the evening if you did the dough in the morning or in the morning if you did the dough in the evening.

so you still have to think ahead, but the actual time on eating day is two hours or so.

The (in)famous New York Times bread does something similar. There’s a book called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes which lays out a process that works similarly, sort of….and there are flatbread recipes in the latest book by Jeremy and Naomi Alford that do something very similar.

And if you are willing to fly by the seat of your pants (experienced, daring bakers only, or maybe lucky bakers too) you can put some sourdough starter into this bread described here. If your starter is thin (pancake batter texture) just sub it for some of the water. If it is thicker, use your judgement. Make the dough match the texture in the pictures here by adjusting with more flour or water. And be flexible about the results. The taste will be sourish and tangy, but you are unlikely to get a really crusty result unless you follow all the ice-in-the-pan baking-stone high-oven-temperature sourdough rules.

Confession time – I’ve mde a few sloppy messes that way, but far more decent last-minute focaccia type breads with good top crust. Good thing I have a family that likes all kinds of bread, including kinds that have never been seen before on earth.

– Jessica

38. Gloria Uhl

Please explain the following comment about yeast:
    So if RapidRise an active dry yeast that works quickly, how is active dry a slower-acting yeast? Are these two different active dry yeasts you are talking about?

Yes, Gloria, two different types of active dry yeast. Siblings, but different – I believe they’re grown/prepared differently; not sure if they’re actually different biological strains, as well. – PJH

39. Bunny

I will be making this Blitz Bread this afternoon and look forward to rave reviews from a fussy family. I’ve enjoyed using a grain mill for several years, and wonder if I can purchase the whole grain white wheat used in your flour. NOTHING tastes as good as bread made with fresh ground whole wheat. I shall report back after the fussy family has tasted this “wonder bread.”

Hope your fussy family approves, Bunny! Unfortunately, we no longer sell the white wheat berries – I’d google it and see what kind of sources you can find, though. Shouldn’t be too difficult. Good luck – PJH

40. Bunny

It was a hit…everyone loved it and I already have suggestions for the next time I make one. There will be a next time very soon. Also, the brownies featured this month are wonderful. The family loved them as well. Thanks!

Yeah, Bunny, that recipe is definitely a keeper- PJH

41. Mike cunnings

Hi,
    I used half this recipe to make pizza. I don’t like using non stick spray or all that oil to grease the pan. Can I just line the pan with parchment instead of oil and non-stick spray and lay the dough on that?
    Thanks.
    Mike

Sure, Mike – if you don’ t mind losing all that good sizzling olive oil flavor, go for it! – PJH

42. Cyndi

My family LOVED this – I made 2 batches (one cheese and one with pizza dough flavor) for a big family get-together to serve with lasagnae. They both received rave reviews (and were completely consumed) – but the pizza dough flavor was the winner. I had to give out the recipe (and my extra pizza dough flavor) to 4 people! Thank you!! And it is EASY!

Totally easy. I made it for a potluck Thursday night, a double batch, and as I was laving the hostess was zipping up the leftovers in a plastic bag. She said, “You can have your bowl back, but I’m keeping the bread!” And I agree about the pizza dough flavor – I use that all the time in the test kitchen. Gives that certain je ne sais quoi to any kind of savory bread… PJH

43. Sara

Where did the link go!? i was going to make this for dinner tonight, and alas, I go to look for it and it’s GONE/broken….. V. Sad.

Hi Sara,
    Thanks for letting us know the link is not working. The entire site was re-vamped late Sunday night and we are still out ‘catching bugs’. I will let the web team know ASAP!

MJR

OK, Sara, should be all set now- PJH

44. Jeff Hertzberg

Well, there’s one thing all these methods miss… they mix, prepare, etc., but it yields up only one precious loaf. I’m the co-author of “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery that Revolutionizes Home Baking.” We mix once, and bake many loaves from that large batch. Check out our method on our website: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com
    Our reviews at http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?page_id=30

And post questions anywhere in our website!

Jeff Hertzberg

Jeff, I looked all over your Web site and couldn’t actually spot your method anywhere… Everything links back to the book offer. Is there somewhere on your site where it shows/details your 5-minute method? I’d love to see it – TX. PJH

45. Dina

So, I’ve had this page bookmarked for ages now, waiting patiently for the day when I decided I couldn’t live one more second without a KitchenAid. I finally took the plunge, and my KitchenAid is here! So I rush to this site, click the link to get to the bread recipe, and…*gasp!* the site’s down!

All of my dreams are dashed. Can someone please email me the recipe? I’ve been waiting for weeks to try it out and most of the steps are posted here, but not the ingredient list!

I will love forever the first person (and shucks, any second or third person, too) who sends me the recipe!

dina.greenberg@gmail.com

Whooooops, sorry – I’ve emailed you the recipe. Broken link – we’ll let our IT people know. THANKS for letting me know – PJH

46. Connie

I tried this bread with 5 oz home-ground white wheat flour and hubby RAVED about it! Kids loved it too. 1 think I was confused about – te olive oil called for in the recipe – is that for the bottom of the pan only, or to be mixed in the batter? I added to the batter anyway, but perhaps I misunderstood.

Also, the link is still broken. I accessed the recipe from the Recipes page of the KAF website.

BUNNY, you can buy white wheat berries at Wheat Montana (I get it from a local co-op) or Bread Beckers or even your local Whole Foods in bulk.

Thanks for the recipe. I LOVE this blog!!!

Thanks, Connie. Sorry about that link… you know how it is: “Technology is our friend.” There’s olive oil (2 tablespoons) in the dough, and then you also drizzle oil in the bottom of the pan. That’s optional, but I love the flavor it gives the bread. Have fun experimenting – it’s awesome with some cheese crumbled into the dough. – PJH

47. Alexa

I know that everyone loves this Blitz bread for its speed, but I am one who normally has to do an overnight rise for anything becuase I make at night, go to bed and need it to be ready to go when I get home from work in the evening.

Any reason why I can’t just put it in the pan in the fridge overnight and pull out to come to room temp while I make dinner and then bake?

So, 24 hours in the fridge? I’d cut the yeast back. Give it a try, tell us what happens – Thanks! – PJH

48. summar ann

i made this bread today for the recipe exchange at my library. i topped mine with fresh rosemary from my garden & portugese salt cream. it was a huge hit. my husband ate most of the half loaf i left at home!

Yeah, it’s pretty irresistible, huh? BTW, what’s Portuguese salt cream? PJH

49. Jenn B

I have been recommending this recipe to every one! I made it for the 1st time on Thanksgiving with cheddar and rosemary. Every one thought it was store bought (which really was a compliment)!!
    I took a leap of faith making a recipe for the 1st time on a major eating holiday with only a few hours until dinner and was not disappointed. Thank You!

We aim to please, Jenn – thanks for sharing your success story! PJH

50. Mark Boxshus

Hello PJH

I saw this yesterday while looking around for bread recipes, and had to try it. Even though I used active dry yeast instead of instant, and “kneaded” in a cup of real cheese after the bread rose for an hour, it came out very good. I’ve eaten three quarters of the loaf already, and I’m not (or wasn’t) a big bread lover until recently. I wasn’t sure if the directions meant to incorporate the cheese at the end of the mixing, or after “kneading” it in, since this was a no knead recipe to begin with. Anyway, thanks for the tutorial above. I now will only use instant yeast from now on.

Excellent, Mark – glad it worked for you. PJH

51. tangela

oh blitz bread–my first delicious yet easy attempt at yeast bread–how i love thee. it’s a bit hard to get out of the pan when there’s crumbled feta in it, though. i had to gradually pry it out with a knife. [luckily, there was no damage to the bread. that would have made me sad.] maybe i should have sprayed the pan, instead of just coating it with a bit of olive oil?

Oh my goodness, yes, yes, YES! Spray with on-stick vegetable oil spray first, then drizzle with olive oil. glad you wer able to pry it out, but spraying with oil will make the job easier next time. Congrats on your first yeast bread! – PJH

52. Eniko

Very easy and fast. I used cooking spray in the pan (olive oil type) and it turned right out onto the rack. So delicious. One Question. The outside was crusty and the inside fluffy, but there was a thin band that looked doughy or uncooked. What was that?

Could it have been from where you sliced it? If you slice hot bread, it leaves a gummy patch. Or where precisely was the band, and how big was it? PJH

53. Lish

I am planning on trying this tomorrow with spaghetti and meatballs (making fresh pasta, yikes) and was wondering if I could use the Italian style flour you sell. Someone gave me a bag as a gift and it has a recipe for focaccia but these would be much easier. Would I need to change anything in the recipe? I am really looking forward to this easy and yummy looking bread, perfect for wiping up the leftover sauce on my plate!

Lish, all I can say is – try it. You’ll need to add less water; start with 1 cup, then add more, if necessary, to make it look as wet as the photos. It probably won’t rise as high; may be a bit dense, but still tasty. Hope it works well for you – and the homemade pasta, too! PJH

54. Jane

I think you can safely advertise this Blitz bread recipe as “so simple, even a clueless bread baking novice can make it!” as I just proved this afternoon! This was my first attempt ever at making any kind of bread and the recipe and your photos with instructions made it really easy – and my attempt was done with no mixer (just a hand mixer until that gummed up, then with my hands)! And if my husband thought it was good, it was a definite success!! Thanks for giving me a very positive first-time experience making bread!!

Ah, Jane, you warm my heart! I LOVE it that your first loaf of bread is a success! Welcome to the big, wide, wonderful world of… yeast! Thanks for sharing – PJH

55. Jenn B

Has any one made this as a sweet bread? Maybe cranberries or walnuts and a pinch of sugar? What about adding clumps of sweetened cream cheese or a farmers cheese? What do you think?

I think you should try it, Jenn. But I also think the balance of liquid/flour that lets it rise without kneading may be disturbed by add-ins, and it my not rise as nicely. Hey, let us know – nothing ventured, nothing gained. PJH

56. Coleen

I made this Blitz Bread for the first time on the spur of the moment yesterday, for something to accompany the pot of split pea soup that was simmering on the stove. I was so surprised at how terrific this bread tasted, seeing it was so quick to prepare and didn’t require a starter that needed to sit overnight. It was so very easy to prepare, too. The whole family loved this bread; there were no leftovers! (So sad) Next week’s soup is going to be vegetable beef, and the family already is begging for the Blitz Bread to go with it.

I had approximately 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar in the fridge that I had cubed into tiny pieces a few days before, and which wasn’t sealed well, and the cheese had started to dry out just a tad. I mixed that into the dough at the end of mixing, and it worked great. (I abhor wasting food)

To substitute the “pizza dough flavoring” (I didn’t have any left) I mixed up some buttermilk powder, low-fat milk powder, garlic powder, finely grated Parmesan cheese, and some ‘rubbed to a powder’ dried Italian seasoning herbs. (probably about 2 Tablespoons of the milk powders and Parmesan cheese, and about 1/2 teaspoon of the garlic powder and about 1 Tablespoon of the powdered Italian herbs) After measuring the 4 teaspoons of my mixture out into this Blitz Bread recipe, I froze the rest in an airtight container to use in other recipes.

Coleen, that all sounds… wonderful! Including the split pea soup, one of my favorites. Good thinking on the pizza dough flavor substitute, too – PJH

57. Zwack

Finally, someone that explains the different yeast types in plain english with what distinguishes them. Thank you so much!
    I didn’t read all the posts but is there a spot that gives the measuring ratio of the differences in these different kinds of yeast anyplace? Or for the most part does it not matter?

BTW, love your blog (and KAF) and I too will be making this bread because it looks so good.

Thanks! While we don’t have a ‘chart’ form for yeast, here is a link to our yeast info online. It covers facts, myths, and conversions. Check it out! ~ MaryJane

58. Zwack

Wow, that pretty much answers my question and any further questions anyone could have with regard to everything there is to ask about a home bakers types of yeast. Thanks so much.

59. Blaise

You are right, you can mix it by hand and you do need strong arms and lots of energy for sure…I do it every time and every time it is worth it…Thanks

60. mae

My first attempt with this recipe turned out quite well! Thanks! Just wondering if I left it to rise more than 1.5 hours, would the foccacia be lighter or airier? And I was also wondering why the dough sprang back when i tried making holes to put the herbs and salt in? I read somewhere that it’s not supposed to spring back when it’s ready for baking. Can you please clarify.

Thanks again. :)

Hi Mae – Yes, you could let it rise longer – and that may be why it sprang back. When dough is fully risen, the hole you make will stay indented. Could be your kitchen, your climate, simply needs more rising time. Did you use SAF Red instant yeast? That makes a big difference in rising time, too. Try, try again… At least the experiments are tasty, right? PJH

61. Paula

Oh, no…I came back to print out this recipe and now the link is bad!! I drooled over it yesterday, got distracted with the rest of this great blog, and now it’s hiding. Wah! Oh, well…at least I learned about the REAL difference in yeasts!!

Paula, I have no clue why these links keep breaking – and I can’t fix ‘em from home. I’ll get on it first thing tomorrow – sorry, I know, it’s VERY irritating! PJH

OK, all fixed – PJH

62. Dottie

PJ, I’m hooked on Asiago Cheese Bread so want to try it with Asiago cheese….bet it’s great! Think I’ll try it without a pan too….freeform and see how it works. PS: I’m coming up for cooking classes Aug 29…class on Italian Flat Breads….never been, can’t wait!!!

63. Terri

This is outrageously great bread. As there is only the two of us, I made bread crumbs out of the leftovers to use in meatballs. Oh my goodness, good! Thanks for such a great recipe.

64. Helene

I loved this recipe I made it in the food processor, but it didnt fill the pan or rise as well as the photos. Tasted great though. Thanks

Helene, did you use a plastic dough blade? If so, it should have worked; although maybe it was too soft a dough to be affected by that small a blade. If you used the metal blade, it probably chopped the gluten all to pieces, which would explain lack of rise. Glad it tasted good, anyway – PJH

65. TiV

I am signed in, trying to click the blitz bread recipe link – ending back to the front page. I just can´t find the recipe anywhere, even the search tool gives nothing….help!
    I tried too, had the same problem. I’ll get our crack web team right on it! Sorry for the inconvenience. ~ MaryJane

66. marlin

I tried this morning, it was great. Can I substitue 1/2 cup with whole wheat flour ?.
    Yes you can use 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour-the results will be a bit denser. Joan@bakershotline

67. Great-grandma B.

As an answer to Rosemarie, Brenda suggests using vinyl/latex gloves for messy jobs. I use exam gloves for all kitchen, household, and gardening jobs especially where fine tactile sense is needed. For gardening they are wonderful for thining seedlings. To keep hand persperation from leaking out and forming a river to my elbow if I need to reach up, I take a sheet of paper towel, fold it into a pad and slip it inside the glove into the palm of my hand . . . surprising how wet that pad gets while keeping my forearm dry.

Enjoy reading this blog and appreciate the light hearted sense of humor. Your pause that refreshed was the progression of rudimentary baking to the modern “. . . Wonder Bread.” elicited a healthy guffaw. Thanks, I needed that.

68. John T Diggins

The link to the recipe is dead so here is the recipe.

Blitz Bread: No-Fuss Focaccia

Warm, aromatic yeast bread, hot from the oven—with no
    kneading, AND in under 2 hours? Here it is. Add Pizza Dough
    Flavor for over-the-top flavor, and/or cheese powder to turn it
    into cheese bread. Step-by-step photos illustrating how to make
    this bread are available at Bakers’ Banter, our King Arthur
    blog.
    1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) warm water
    3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) olive oil (plus additional for
    drizzling)
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    3 1/2 cups (14 ¾ ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1 tablespoon instant yeast
    4 teaspoons Pizza Dough Flavor, optional
    1/4 cup Vermont cheese powder, optional
    pizza seasoning, optional
    1) Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan, and drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom.
    2) Combine all of the ingredients, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds.
    3) Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room
    temperature for 60 minutes, till it’s become puffy.
    4) While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375°F.
    5) Gently poke the dough all over with your index finger.
    6) Drizzle it lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with pizza seasoning, and/or the dried herbs of your choice, if desired.
    7) Bake the bread till it’s golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
    8) Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

To make cheese-stuffed bread: Add 1 cup crumbled feta cheese to the dough after it’s been kneaded for 60 seconds.

John, thank you SO much for posting this. We’re trying to figure out why this link is continually breaking. Thanks for your “in the meantime” solution! PJH

69. Joyce

Oh PJ,
    You are killing me with all these fabulous recipes. Just when I think I don’t need another recipe, you post something new that I just have to try. I plan on making the Foccacia this weekend. I have a bag of KA Italian Style flour. Could I use this flour? Would I have to do anything different? Look forward to hearing from you.

Joyce

I’ve never tried it, Joyce – I think it might be a bit denser, as the Italian flour is low protein and doesn’t like to rise very high. Give it a try – cut back the water to 1 cup + 2 tablespoons, see if that makes a dough that looks like the consistency of the dough in the blog pictures. Let us know how it works – it’ll be nice and tender, anyway – PJH

70. Debby

Made this AWESOME Focaccia recipe this afternoon and it is DELISH!! My 29 year old son was visiting and after I had taken it out of the oven he said”Mom, hurry up and cut that bad boy, I want to make a sandwich out of it!” So guess what we all had for dinner? LOL I put the pizza seasoning on the top, also added fresh rosemary and parmesan cheese. OUTSTANDING!!! Can you tell we all love it? ;) KA ROCKS!!!

Debby, thanks so much for sharing your success! LOVE it when breads come out fabulous and people have another “go to” recipe. YEAH – PJH

71. Joyce

Hi PJ,
    Just wanted you to know that I made the Foccacia with the Italian Style Flour. I decreased the water as you suggested. It was absolutely delicious!! Even though it didn’t rise quite as high as your picture, it was very light and so good. Crisp on the outside and soft inside. I actually prefer it thinner. For the topping I mixed parmesean cheese, black pepper, oregano, dried basil and garlic powder. The flavor was wonderful. Thanks again for another great recipe. I will be making it again this weekend. Keep the recipes coming.

Joyce

Glad you enjoyed it, Joyce. I will indeed keep those recipes coming! PJH

72. Julie

Thank you so much for this recipe! I only had whole wheat bread flour and a hand stick blender but after reading your replies to the comments here I felt relatively confident to give it a shot. Well, what a treat it was! It was pretty dense but with slices of gouda and delicious homemade creamy carrot soup to dunk it into it was a perfect early autumn meal. I topped it with sea salt and fresh rosemary. Thanks again! :)

73. Dentists Fort Myers

What a great stuff you have here! This recipe looks absolutely delicious! I’m gonna try it right away! Thanks for providing this awesome recipe. I am printing this off right now… Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer! I will bookmark your blog and check up here often. Thumbs up!

– Shane

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Shane! PJH

74. ruthy

I am in the process of making the blitz bread. I am trying it on a round pizza stone…greased of course with evoo. I am excited to see how it turns out and haven’t decided yet what toppings to put on top. I think I’ll just go with the rosemary & salt.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe and whew…there are soooooo many comments…I read most of them.
    Forgive me if I’ve read your comment wrong, but this bread needs to be baked in a greased baked sheet not straight on a pizza stone. Pizza stones shouldn’t be greased ever. They’ll smoke like crazy! Molly @ KAF

75. Karen

I was confused about the olive oil. I thought it was just for the bottom of the pan. My dough had only been rising for 30 minutes when I read the review that 2 Tbsp. actually go inside the dough. I am using the garlic oil instead of olive oil, so I poured some more on the dough and kneaded it am going to let it rise for 45 more minutes. I may have a flop on my hands! Hope not. Also confused as to whether the pizza spice went into the dough or just on top. The recipe says add all the ingredients to the bowl.

Spice goes on top. And I’m sure your bread is going to be delicious, Karen – this is the MOST forgiving recipe… PJH

76. Karen

Well even though I messed on adding the oil at the beginning this bread was to die for! I used the same doughmaker’s pan that you used. I was told not to spray these pans with vegetable spray to only use butter. Do you know any information about that? I used the garlic oil and lots of it and it was delicious. Thank you so much, this is my new favorite website and my grocery store!!! Thanks again! Karen

That bread is definitely tasty, Karen, isn’t it? I think they don’t want you to spray the pan because some cooking sprays containing lecithin can form a dark, sticky sheen on the pan… but I always go ahead and spray mine. Butter isn’t going to make it stick-free; shortening would be a better choice, if you don’t want to spray. Thanks for connecting here- PJH

77. chit villegas

Hi…is it really possible to put it in to a bread machine? When do I stop manually? BY the way do you have a recipe for bread machine? Really appreciate very much your response. Thanks! Yes, you can do it in the bread machine. let it mix, then knead for about 5 – 10 minutes until the dough looks like the pictures in the blog. Stop the machine and continue on per the hand instructions.
    Many bread machine recipes can be found here

78. Megan McDaniel

Hello,my name is Megan McDaniel and i’m eleven years old. While i was watching MAN VS.FOOD i saw the 190 lb. hamburger and i was thinking about this invention. ” Are you tired of your hamburger falling apart ? ” Well, i’ve got it ! My invention is a cylinder hamburger bun that you stuff your hamburger/cheeseburger in with all of the toppings you want!! They can come in small , medium ,or large. It judges on the size and weight of the burger.Sesame seeds and poppyseeds are optional. It looks a little like this “close your eyes and picture this” its a cylinder bun with the top cut off and all you have to do is stuff your burger and toppings in it! So , what do you think ?
    HI Megan,
    I’m a big Man vs. Food fan myself, Adam Richman is such a riot to watch! I missed the 190 lb burger, I was too full from dinner to watch.
    I personally LOVE the idea of a bun that you can take the top off of and drop your burger and all the goodies down into it. Kind of like the bread bowl for soups, right? I definitely think you should give it a try, and let us know how it comes out. I can see it being great for sandwiches too. Layer in the meats and cheeses and veggies and enjoy. Thanks for sharing your idea. Have fun! ~ MaryJane

79. Evelyn Hutchinson

I realized while organizing ingredients that I didn’t have enough KA 9-grain and KA sirlancelot (less than a cupful of each) to make a recipe so I brought each up to one cup with all purpose flour and added the remainder of the recipe a designated. It was fun, not really knowing what I was doing but knowing at least I was not throwing anything away. I am seventy seven and I know that I could hear my grandmother saying ‘its alright honey’. The consistency was great coming out of the bowl and going into the oven an hour later. The pizza herbs filled my little Sr apt. I didn’t expect the best tasting Focaccia that I’d ever made. The best part was slicing it up (8 pieces) and handing out to the neighbors. Can’t hardly wait to organize ingredients again. ev
    What a happy accident! Your focaccia sounds delicious. Molly @ KAF

80. Tracey

I make a lot of yeast breads, but I’ve never made focaccia before. I saw the link to this recipe on Facebook yesterday and it immediately caught my eye. Fast forward one day, I whipped this up tonight and oh my word, it blew my mind!! I can’t believe how delicious and developed the flavors were given the level of effort required. Thanks so much KAF!!

81. Joanne

All recipes with yeast should be as simple as this one.

I was skeptical but proven wrong when the fragrant and crispy focaccia came out of my oven.

I’ll be trying it with black olives in my next batch!

Can we have more of these fuss free (under 120mins) bread recipes? I love them!!

Try these recipes when you get the hankering for yeast bread taste, but don’t have the patience for the proofing or rising time! Angel Biscuits and Quick & Easy Sticky Caramel Buns. Happy Baking! Irene

Joanne, you can add all kinds of things to that basic recipe. And, try our PDQ breads, too – PJH

82. chimeyn

My Gosh! Why didn’t I watch the video BEFORE mixing up the bread. My bread is in the pan, resting….peacefully I hope….and it looked and felt OK. But…after I watched the video I realized that I forgot to add the olive oil to the batter! It was rather dry and I did add extra water. The weather in the NE has been dry lately….So we will see how it rises. I am going to add Za-tar seasoning to the top. I bought some via The Spice House and I love it’s combination of Middle Eastern tastes. I came to the website looking for Fiori di Sicilia and ended up with so much more! I love King Arthur!!!

Glad we could help – and I think your bread will turn out just fine. Next time, when you use olive oil, it’ll have a richer mouth-feel – something to look forward to! PJH

83. candela_59

PJ this looks fabulous! I want to make it for DH. I’m a quasi novice in bread baking and now we’ve just moved to Colorado and we’re at about 5300 feet elevation. I’m thinking I need to reduce the amount of yeast, but have no idea how much. Do you think I should reduce it by 25% or maybe even 1/3? Please let me know where you would start! Oh boy…can’t wait to try this thanks!!!! ~Peggy
    Hi Peggy,
    We have a great chart for high altitude bakers here. It tells you what to change, how much to change it, and why. It’s a wonderful resource. Hope it helps. ~ MaryJane

84. ncgnet

Arrgh. I want to make blitz bread focaccia this weekend, so went looking for instant yeast. Unfortunately our local grocery is stocking fewer and fewer good brand names and more and more of its own or odd brands. Anyway, tried another store and found Fleischman’s RapidRise. On the back it says RapidRise (instant) so I bought it. Now, reading about yeast and comments here I’m wondering if I’d be better off using Active Dry yeast instead. I have it on hand and I’m used to proofing yeast so that isn’t an issue. Is RapidRise good for anything?
    Thanks, Nancy

Hi Nancy, Don’t use RapidRise. This style of instant yeast is designed for only 1 rise, it’s not going to give the results you are expecting. If you have Active Dry on hand use it. Just take any ingredients required for proofing from the master ingredient list. When shopping locally for instant yeast look for Red Star Quick Rise yeast, they package this in 3 envelope strips and 4 ounce jars, it will work in traditional multiple rise recipes. Frank @ KAF.

85. ncgnet

Thanks Frank. I really didn’t want to experiment and have yet another disaster on my hands. Fortunately I can return the RapidRise to the store, they are good about that….
    Nancy

86. J.Baines

I tried to set up an account, but encountered several problems. (Such as that my e-mail address is already registered. It can’t be as I’m the only one who uses it.) I’ll try again later. I’m a webmaster, so understand that all things don’t work at all times.

I wanted to ask if the dry ingredients for the no-kneed focaccia can be packaged together (to be sold at a non-profit fund raiser). We would mix together the salt, KA flour, instant yeast, and Pizza Dough Flavor, then include directions for making the bread. We are at a high altitude, so would reduce the instant yeast by 25%. The reason I’m asking about this mix is because I read in this blog that the instant yeast has to be refrigerated or frozen. So, would it be unsafe to include in a dry mix for use later? Thanks for your assistance.

Please call customer service, 800-827-6836, to get help with your account; it should have worked immediately. They can figure out what’s up with that. And sure, so long as you sell the mixes fairly soon after you mix them (and they’re baked fairly soon after that), should be fine. The yeast will start working very slowly, and eventually it’ll give up if the mix isn’t prepared. A better option would be to wrap the yeast in plastic wrap and stick it in the bag with the other ingredients; it’ll stay inactive much longer that way. Good luck! PJH

87. sharth

Tried this over the weekend and it was soooooo good! My bread always comes out “wrong” and so I was delighted that this recipe came out perfectly. Every step looked just like the pictures and it was delicious. Now I know what will happen with that big package of instant yeast I bought and put int the freezer!

I’m going to try some white whole wheat in this to have some whole grain…if I make it a lot I will feel better with some in there.

The pizza seasoning is a perfect topping! Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

You can definitely add whole wheat to this. Start by substituting 1 cup ww for 1 cup of the all-purpose, and if you like the result, increase from there. So glad we’ve given you something to do with that instant yeast! :) PJH

88. debbey

hello , i have a very basic questions regarding baking which i hope you will give reply to me. i want to know on which rack of your oven you bake your cakes, buns pizzas breads and cookies , with both the element of oven switch on or only bottom rod on for baking? I live in India and i have OTG(oven toaster griller),i am really confused as some says to bake the cake , breads, dinner rolls, pizzas
    in middle rack with both the element switched on and some says to bake with only bottom element/coil switched on.what is the right way of baking? please help.
    warm regards and thanks.
    Hi Debbey! Thanks for joining us from overseas. When I bake in my toaster oven, I keep both elements on, but I tend to reduce the temperature by about 25°F. The smaller oven size tends to overbake if I leave it on the regular temperature. Try it a few different ways in your oven though, as all ovens will behave differently. ~ MaryJane

89. Amateur

I don’t understand this recipe at all, which is a shame since it looks fantastic. I used the exact amounts and instead of getting a slacky gooey dough like the pictures suggest, I just get a dry lumpy bunch of clusters that risk burning out my mixer’s motor. I pre-measured everything before starting, so I can’t even tell how or what went wrong here. Do I just throw in more water until I get that result?
    It sounds like you may have just had too much flour in your dough. Find some good tips on measuring flour here. ~Amy

90. waikikirie

An “oldie but a goodie”. I’ve been making this for years now. Switch out the herbs and you can serve it with many differnet things.

91. teach2stamp

I live in Denver CO. For high altitude I reduced the instant yeast to 2 1/2 teaspoons and increased the water to 2 cups plus to get it to the consistency shown in the picture.

92. mysbhvn1

I have this baking in the oven and can’t wait for it to come out…it smells heavenly! I do have a question though….after the 60 min rise I was “attempting” to put the indentions in the dough before baking. The dough was extremely sticky and I was pretty much unable to make any indentions that stayed in the dough….it just stuck to my fingers, even if I wet them.
    …any ideas as to what the issue may have been?? I’m not very experienced with the yeast bread world so any help would be appreciated :)

You know what? Skip the indentations, if they’re not working for you; they’re not critical to the loaf. I’ve stopped making them in my blitz bread. If you still want to try, dip your fingers in olive oil, and quickly/gently “stab” the dough – be quick. If you linger, your fingers will stick. Either way, your bread will taste great! PJH

93. Nicola

I have been making this basic recipe for a few years now and make lots of versions of this adding extras.

I live in the UK and pizza flavour cheese powder and pizza seasoning are not available to me so I substitute these big flavours. I use various combinations of the following when I make this bread grated garlic, fresh or defrosted frozen, Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, herbs i use dried mixed Italian herbs, oregano, thyme, or rosemary obviously i do not use all these ingredients at once but they all add great flavour in varying combinations.

My kids fav is when i add cheddar or feta cheese to the mix and then when in the pan before the first rise i put teaspoons of sundried tomato paste and basil pesto alternately on top about an inch/3cms apart i then just let the dough rise around these. once risen sprinkle the top with Parmesan and a little olive oil. Made this at least twice a week last winter, great with home made soup.

You are making me so hungry and it is not even close to lunch time Nicola! Elisabeth@KAF

94. Margo

I posted yesterday about how I loved your Blitz Bread No Fuss Focaccia recipe. I forgot to tell you that I put 1/4 cup of your Vermont Cheese powder in and since I knew I was going to make two layers out of it , I didn’t want Italian seasoning on top because it would be on the other layer so I added 1/4 cup of your artisan bread seasonings in it….and oh! the aroma as it was baking was scrumptious! Thank you for such a lovely variety of additions that make all of our cooking experiences so marvelous! I have a question, I live in a very old home whose walls have no insulation as they’re just lathe & plaster. We have extra sheet rock on them but the house is probably cooler than a more modern home. I read in an article by a Chef Headley that was connected to your site by someone’s link that I could turn my oven on to 200 degrees for five minutes and then turn it off and place my bread in the oven to rise that it would cut my rise time in half. Would It still have sufficient heat in the oven for the second rise also or would I need to reheat it again for 5 more minutes. My stove is electric not gas or I’d just use the heat from the pilot light to rise the bread. Thanks again for such marvelous products and thank all of you for being such lovely, gracious, caring and helpful people.

1. Susan Reid

Margo, does your oven have a light inside it? If so, just turn it on and let that be your heat source. It does a great job of maintaining a good yeast rising temperature. If you want your dough to go a little faster, put a pan of simmering water in the bottom of the oven, too. That way you’ll get a nice rise without the risk of baking your bread before its time. Susan