Hey, do these look like whole grain pancakes to you? Surprise…

whole grain pancakes

Attention, class—how many times do I have to say this?

Whole grains don’t have to taste whole-grainy.

Whole grains can actually taste good. No, make that GREAT.

OK, true confession time. For years, I didn’t like the taste of whole wheat flour. I was a white flour gal, contentedly enjoying grilled cheese and French toast on white sandwich bread, meat- and cheese-stuffed sandwiches on crusty baguettes, biscuits and scones and pizza made from King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour.

Which happens to be the first flour I ever purchased, about a million years ago when I was still in college and had no clue that someday I’d be working at this venerable “flour with the horse on the bag” company. Trust me, this is a sales pitch rooted in many long years of great experience. No brag, just fact: King Arthur Flour never lets you down. Why? Because our milling specs are SO tight, we produce the same flour month after month, year after year, no matter what vagaries of weather and growing conditions the wheat undergoes.

In the case of flour, consistency is neither foolish, nor the “hobgoblin of little minds,” for all of you Ralph Waldo Emerson fans out there. All three of you.

Oh, whoops, back to the subject: whole grains. While working on King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking, our latest book, I was forced into baking with whole grains. And made a marvelous discovery.

Whole-grain doesn’t necessarily mean whole wheat. Whole-grain can mean oats, which are just about the sweetest, nuttiest, most delicious form whole grains can take. I also discovered that the main thing I didn’t like about whole wheat, its tannic bitterness, isn’t its normal taste. It’s the result of poor storage. Fresh whole wheat, stored in the freezer to protect its germ, has an unassertively “pleasantly wheaty” flavor that’s perfectly innocuous, even welcome, in all kinds of baking.

And if you bake with white whole wheat—which is, make no mistake, 100% whole-grain and carries the same nutrition profile as red wheat—then you’re totally set to slip all kinds of treats past your resident whole-grain unenthusiasts.

Not to say I reach for whole wheat every time I bake now; all-purpose white flour is still my best friend in the kitchen. But I’ve learned to use whole grains where I can, substituting white whole wheat for all-purpose flour in cookies, muffins, bars, and some cakes—including pancakes.

The following pancakes are based on oats and white whole wheat. They’re 90% whole-grain, with just a bit of white flour for texture. It’s simple simple SIMPLE to make a big batch of Whole-Grain Pancake Mix, and keep it in your freezer, ready to pull out on a weekend morning. And take it from me, a lukewarm whole-grain fan AND a very challenged pancake maker: these pancakes are simple to make and umm-UMM good!

img_6392.JPG
Let’s start with oats. These are traditional rolled oats; you can also use the quick-cooking variety.

img_6395.JPG
Whirl them in the food processor till they’re a combination of powdery and flaky.

img_6396.JPG
Put the oats in a mixing bowl, and add the white wheat flour and the remainder of the ingredients.

img_6401.JPG
Mix the dry ingredients till thoroughly combined, then add the vegetable oil in a stream, with the mixer going. If you don’t have a stand mixer, just mix the oil in thoroughly, so it’s not clumped anywhere.

img_6402.JPG
Here’s what your finished mix looks like.

img_6404.JPG
Put it in a 2-quart jar or other large storage container, and store in the freezer. And if you’re using a pickle jar or other “aromatic” container—do yourself a favor, and air it out thoroughly first.

img_6405.JPG
When you’re ready to make pancakes, combine 1 cup of the mix with 1 egg and 1 cup of buttermilk (or a mixture of half milk, half plain yogurt). I also add a tablespoon of orange juice, which tames any residual whole-wheat bitterness the sensitive palate might detect. Let the batter rest for 30 to 60 minutes; this thickens it up, smooths out any lumps, and lets the baking powder start to do its stuff.

img_6420.JPG
Pour the batter onto a medium (350°F) griddle, or into a frying pan over medium-low heat. I’m using our muffin scoop here, because it makes perfectly sized, all-the-same-size pancakes.

img_6423.JPG
Here’s what the pancake looks like freshly poured onto the griddle…

img_6424.JPG
…and here it is after 2 minutes. It’s puffed a bit, seems drier, and has developed a few bubbles on top.

img_6426.JPG
Turn the pancake over; you should see golden perfection. If not, adjust the heat.

img_6434.JPG
If you have a griddle, you can make the entire batch of 8 big pancakes at once. If you don’t, you’ll have to cook in batches. Layer the pancakes to serve. Again—do these look like whole grain pancakes? Your family will never know…

img_6432.JPG
Especially once they take that first bite. Ahhh, good enough to eat! Enjoy.

Read, review, and rate (please!) our recipe for Homemade Whole-Grain Pancake Mix.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Adam’s Mountain Café, Manitou Springs, Colorado: whole-grain pancakes served with pure maple syrup, 3 cakes, $9.00

Buy: Ed’s Deli, True New York Experience, Dallas, Texas: whole grain pancakes served with whipped butter and hot maple syrup, $5.99

Make at home: Whole-grain pancakes, tall stack of 4 cakes, 50¢
With 1 tablespoon butter and 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, $1.94

comments

1. bridget

I love the idea of having this homemade mix on hand. My son’s favorite breakfast is pancakes and sometimes I’m just too darn lazy to make them…no more excuses! :)

I just clicked over to the recipe and I really like the look of the new website. Very nice!

2. Charlene S.

I have been making this mix (and the pancakes) for a couple years–it is nothing short of fabulous! And add blueberries—you get awesome. Makes great gifts too–a big bag of mix at Christmas in a nice batter bowl is just lovely. But one question—my older directions say to let the batter sit for 15 minutes after mixing; these directions say much longer. Does longer time make a difference and which is better?

Charlene, whatever works for you is FINE. I like slightly thicker pancakes so let the batter sit a bit longer; it tends to thicken as it stands. — PJH

3. Daphne

Holy mother…these look amazing. I love pancakes and I love whole grains. I’ll definitely have to give these a try!!

4. Betty Bruffy

Is it possible to substitute the sugar with Splenda or Splenda Blend? My husband is diabetic, and loves pancakes. The whole grain version seems like a great alternative to white flour, but the sugar is always a concern.

Yes, absolutely Betty. The sugar plays no part in the structure of the pancakes; it’s just for sweetness. So go ahead and substitute an equivalent amount. PJH

5. Kristine

Just recently got the KAF Whole Grain Baking book and love it! I’ve tried only a couple of recipes (the oatmeal peach bread is great!) but have enjoyed just perusing all the information in it in addition to the recipes.

I’ve been thinking about trying this mix and wondered what adjustments, if any, you would recommend to use this recipe for waffles instead of pancakes?

Kristine, add an additional 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil when you beat up the batter; this should make it perfect for waffles. Cheers! – PJH

6. carrie

I made a batch of this mix from your cookbook and used them all winter. The only change I made was to add powdered buttermilk to the mix–because if I have to have buttermilk in the house, it defeats the purpose of having a mix handy! I did the math carefully, I think. But every time I make the pancakes (adding water instead of buttermilk, plus the egg and OJ), they come out nearly as thin as crepes. They are still delicious, and my toddler eats them like it’s his job. But they are weird. Could the buttermilk be making the difference? I substitute it all the time in other recipes with no problems. Thanks-

Carrie, buttermilk powder + water just simply isn’t as thick as fresh buttermilk. So lower the amount of water you add, and your pancakes will be thicker. Enjoy- PJH

7. Linda

In a review of this recipe elsewhere on the KAF website, Kathleen of CA mentioned omitting the oil and using ground flaxseed. Would this be in similar proportions, i.e., a cup?

Never tried it, Linda – I’m not sure how it would work. Maybe Kathleen will see this and answer? – PJH

Hi Linda, I just found this information from The Flax Council (who knew there was one).
    Fat substitute formula:
    The substitution ratio is three parts flax seed meal for every part oil
    or fat you are replacing. For example, (1 Tbsp.) of fat to be
    replaced, use (3 Tbsp.) of flax seed meal.

So with that being said, I am not so sure you would want to use it for all of the oil in the recipe, but maybe half? I hope this was helpful. Jessica @ The Bakers Hotline.

8. Doris

PJ, do I have to thawn the mix before I add the other ingredients?

Hi Doris, You will not need to thaw this as it will not be solid. Just measure the amount you need for your recipe. Joan @ the bakers hotline

9. Brenda

The time I tried flaxseed meal substitution for oil, instinct said to decrease flour by the quantity of meal, but followed directions. They were a favorite muffin recipe, and came out DRY! Haven’t tried it since, but if I do, would definitely decrease the flour by that amount, and probably even increase the liquid a bit.

10. Susan

And – if Kathleen could also let us know if the flax seed she used to substitute for the oil was ground up of used as seeds.

Must be ground up; you don’t get the benefits if you leave it whole. – PJH

11. Susan

Is it possible to get the nutritional info to be able to figure into a points system, such as for Weight Watchers?

We’re gradually adding nutritional statements to our online recipes, Susan – I’ll pass along word to the woman who does it to bump this one up in the queue, OK? Stay tuned… – PJH

I just took out my points calculator and looked it up from our Whole Grain book: 2 4-inch pancakes come to 3 points. Susan Reid

12. gwen

i wondered how 1/3 c water & 2T powder equaled the 1 cup of buttermilk, but you explained about the thickness being the difference to carrie.
    usually it’s 4T + 1 cup water, i thought

I think you’re right, Gwen, though I don’t have the conversion in front of me here at home. You don’t want this batter too thin. – PJH

13. Patti

You can make buttermilk by mixing lemon juice or vinegar with milk. There are ratios online. Any idea if this would be okay with the mix?

I’d say it would be… OK. I’d prefer using the yogurt/milk combo. Cook’s Illustrated just did a little article recently including the best way to mimic buttermilk,and it was a yogurt/milk combo, though I don’t remember the exact proportions. And then again, you could buy a quart of buttermilk, use a cup, and freeze the rest in individual 1-cup servings to use next time you made pancakes… -PJH

14. Lee

No offense to the King (I still buy his white flour) but I have been milling my own whole grain flours for four years now and NOTHING can beat the taste of freshly milled flour. I’m glad to see KA selling a few grain mills now and some grain. btw to go gluten free just mill your own rice flour. No grain mill? Make it in your blender with equal parts buttermilk and grain (1 cup each works great). If you blend it the night before then add the egg and leavening in the a.m. with another quick whirl you will never know you are eating whole grains at all, just fluffy stacks of mapley goodness.

No offense taken, Lee. Freshly ground whole wheat is without peer. It’s an experience I hope every bread baker experiences at least once in life – bread made from freshly ground wheat. And thanks for the gluten-free tip – PJH

15. Maribel

Will this recipe yield a similar texture with regular (red) whole wheat flour, or will it change considerably the texture and flavor?

Maribel, the flavor will change—it’ll be more assertively wheaty—but texture should remain the same. You might want to let batter rest a bit longer, as red wheat, with its slightly coarser grind, absorbs liquid a bit more slowly than white wheat. – PJH

16. Marla

I don’t quite understand how I would need to reconstitute the buttermilk if I froze it. How much time would I need to allow for that?

Depends, Marla. Probably overnight in the fridge. Less time at room temp. Once it’s slushy, stir it aorund to speed the process. – PJH

17. SimplePleasures

hey! what a coincidence! just got myself a copy of this book and can’t wait to try out this recipe! one question though: how long does it last?

About as long as three hungry teenage boys let it last… Oh, you mean how long in the FREEZER. I’d say at least a year, probably more. – PJH

18. erin

Just wondering — I have a grain mill, but not a food processor. That may seem odd, and that’s because it is odd. :) Do you think a coarse setting on the grain mill would be equivalent?

If it helps to know, it’s the kitchenaid attachment mill. I also have a blender.

Erin, I’d try the blender first, in small batches. Not sure about the grain mill, but that might work just fine, too. You want coarsely ground oat flakes (you know, oatmeal) – not coarsely ground oat berries. However you get there – that’s the desired destination! Good luck – PJH

19. Michelle

This was one of the first things I made from the Whole Grain Baking Book. They are simply fabulous pancakes, and it’s so nice to have a mix ready to go!

20. Lisa Cohen

My son is allergic to oats… is there any other substitution for this? I currently use the original baker’s companion pancake recipe and use half whole wheat, half all-purpose but I would love more whole grains without making my family suffer. Any advice for those cooking for someone allergic to oats (I’m hoping he outgrows this as oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are my favorite! But he’s almost four so we may have to wait a few more years longer!)? Thank you! This blog is the BEST!!

Sure, Lisa – barley flakes are a great substitute for oats. They look just like oatmeal, only they’re barley. We sell barley flakes at The Baker’s Catalogue. Good luck – PJH

21. Cheryl

The first time I made these pancakes, I was absolutely amazed at how light and tender they were. Not a bit of whole-grain earnestness to them. I keep a supply of the mix in the freezer and regularly give it, nicely packaged with real maple syrup, as Christmas, birthday, have-a-nice-beach-vacation gifts.

I did try to create a version that included dried buttermilk powder (for those who are unlikely to have buttermilk on hand) but the results were decidedly inferior. Anyone have any suggestions?

22. patty davis

I would love to make these however would like the mix to be multifunctional. Could it also be used to make biscuits? If so, what proportions? I’d love to use this to replace Bisquick.

Patty – Haven’t tried these for biscuits, but it sounds good. Give it a go (use whatever recipe you usually use for Bisquick) and let us know how it works. – PJH

23. Brenda in Fla

I too have made this recipe for about 2 years. Even my pickiest eater loves them, which says a huge amount.
    I took it on a church camping trip and now people not even on the trip ask me for the recipe a year later :-)
    The mix makes a great gift . I put the mix in a plastic bag with a bow and combine it with a mixing bowl and whisk along with the directions.
    I do HIGHLY recommend to use fresh buttermilk the difference is unbelievable!!

These are a real stick with you breakfast my family is not hungry an hour or two later.

A huge fan of many many recipes and your products!!!

24. Marian

I am curious to know why you don’t call for whole wheat white pastry flour in this (and other non-yeast breads) recipe? I make whole grain pancakes similar to this with oats and ww pastry flour that come out very tender.>br />Marian, We used White Whole Wheat flour in this recipe to allow the flavor of the oats to dominate the pancakes. You could certainly substitute whole wheat pastry flour to your liking. Frank from KAF

Marian, since ww pastry flour is lower-protein than white whole wheat, you might want to reduce the buttermilk a bit – say by a couple of tablespoons. Otherwise the batter might be too thin. – PJH

25. DanS

We make pancakes using our own recipe of spelt flour and oat flour, spices, mashed banana, baking powder, a little oil and water. They’re totally vegan. The spelt has gluten (some who are intolerant of wheat can eat spelt) though with a little bit of adjustment, corn or barley flour could be made to work.

26. Judy Malkin

I made these pancakes on the weekend and they were great! I did go out and buy buttermilk, and froze the extra, but for future reference: you can make “buttermilk” by adding 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for a few minutes. For the person who asked about dairy-free, I have done this successfully with lemon juice and soy “milk”, so try that.

27. Lee

About the question of oats in grain mill vs. food processor (from erin) I have a suggestion: Use the coarsest setting on your mill to mill the oat groats and you will get a sort of “stone ground” textured oat that might work in this recipe. Putting the oatmeal in your blender for a short whirl would also work. Just don’t put oatmeal flakes in your mill!!
    My favorite pancake recipe from the KA whole grain cookbook has to be the spelt one at the beginning. I use spelt in everything I can get away with. It just tastes better to me. I really like spelt tortillas!

28. Kathryn Henry

I have been wanting to try this recipe for a long time and would like to know if you can add the powdered eggs from KAF to the mix? There are some times I like to make smaller batches of pancakes as 8 pancakes can be too many for a meal.Sure, the powdered eggs would be fine! Tara – Baker’s Hotline

29. Betty A.

I’ve been making these for several years too. After preparing the mix I package it in one cup amounts in plastic sandwich bags and store it in the refrigerator. This makes assemby quick and simple. Also I find that buttermilk keeps well past the “use by” date, so I usually have some on hand.

Thanks for the tip, Betty. Speaking of buttermilk, I used some on Friday whose expiration date was May 19, and it was still fine. Kind of feels creepy to use something that much out of date, but it looked and tasted just fine. PJH

30. Jennifer

These are amazing! Question: Once you mixture the batter, how long do you think it would keep in the refrigerator? Or should I just make all the pancakes and reheat later? I’m a single person and this is a lot of pancakes! Could I use an egg substitute and make half a batch (so I can use half an egg)?

Hi Jennifer,
    Go ahead and make a whole batch, then when they are cooled, put the leftovers in a zip top bag and freeze them. You can pull out one or two and heat them in the toaster or toaster oven and Bingo! Instant hot pancake breakfast with no fuss. You can keep the batter in the fridge overnight and bake pancakes the next day if it fits your schedule better.

Happy Baking!
    MaryJane @ The Baker’s Hotline

31. Elizabeth

I’m late to this conversation, but I have a question: one of my favorite things in the world is a buckwheat pancake; but I can’t find buckwheat flour (unless the King has hidden it somewhere). What can I do to get closer to that distinctive flavor?

Sorry, Elizabeth, buckwheat has its own distinctive flavor. I’d do an online search, see where you can buy it… you can often find it in food cooperative stores, too. – PHG

32. Ying

Thanks for this great recipe! I have two questions though: 1). Is the large egg optional? If not, what I can substitute it for? 2). Is there a maximum rest time for the batter? To be specific: can I prepare the batter the night before and let it rest in the fridge overnight (so I can cook the pancakes first thing in the morning ;) ?
    You need the egg to make the pancakes light and fluffy but you can try replacing it with either 1 tablespoon of applesauce or 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Be aware, the pancakes will not be as fluffy and will be much thinner. An overnight rest in the fridge is fine. Molly, King Arthur Baker

33. CocoaJ

Can’t wait to try this. I need more whole grains in diet, and this will be perfect marriage to how I eat pancakes, too. Only make 4-6 pancakes max at a time, and at that, only occasionally. Don’t much enjoy thawed out frozen pancakes. Love the idea of having the dry mix at the ready (am lazy gurl). I will need to freeze the mix, and am surprised it keeps for so long because of the baking powder. The baking powder stays effective? (Naturally, I am assuming very fresh BP is used at the outset.)

One thing I like to do with pancakes (savory, not sweet) is add bits of interest. I don’t yet know how sweet these are, and a little sugar does indeed *lift* the taste of pancakes even when not making these sweet. But … if necessary … what’s your opinion as to omitted (or at least halving) the sugar in the dry mix. Then … IF more sugar needed, add it to mix before making pancakes. Where I’m going with this is exploring the possibility of being able to use them as savories — that is, because one batch of pancakes would be too much, I could make the batch, halve it, add a little sugar to make the breakfast pancakes. Then to second half of batch, add my green onions or bits of veggies or whatever to make snackable savories to pull out of fridge. I know I can just try it, but get discouraged by waste. You may know upfront whether this recipe really needs X-amount of sugar with the whole wheat flour, and thus might or might lend itself to savory possibilities.

Sure, go ahead and omit the sugar entirely, if you like; though halving it would probably allow the pancakes to easily go either way, sweet or savory. PJH

34. Donna

I make the breakfast for my church’s spring cleaning day, and I usually do buttermilk pancakes, which are always popular. I decided to try this whole grain recipe and give everyone a healthier alternative. Couldn’t resist making a test pancake before everyone arrived, and it was so good, I quickly mixed up more of the batter because I knew they’d go over well. In the end, I made about equal amounts of the two kinds, but I had more of the regular ones than the whole grain ones left (though not many of either!) These are marvelous, and so easy! That little dab of orange juice does indeed counteract any bitterness from the whole wheat. I think the oatmeal contributes greatly to the flavor, texture, and moistness of the pancakes. I’m looking forward to trying some variations. Toasted pecans would be good…blueberries, of course–or maybe a topping of strawberries and yogurt. Strawberry jam is especially tasty with homemade whole wheat bread, so strawberries ought to be great with these.

35. Michele

I just found this recipe and since I’m cooking only for myself, I made up a small batch. They are very good but I only use whole wheat flour already so I didn’t need to be “converted”. I used KA Irish wholemeal and white whole wheat. I only cooked 1/2 cup of mix at a time and tried the flax seed meal to replace the egg. It worked but I liked them better with the egg in the mix. Rather than buying the expensive egg beaters to get 1/2 of an egg, I froze 1/2 dozen eggs in ice cube trays and use one cube per batch. I also froze the buttermilk in 1/2 cup batches and that worked great too. The only problem I had was the temp of the griddle cooking these, it took a few tries to get it right. They are thicker than regular pancakes and I found that the 350 temp burned the bottom before they were cooked inside. I preheated to 350 and then turned the temp down to 250-300 and they came out perfect. I will be making a large batch of this mix to keep in the freezer. They are a perfect reward after an early morning run.

36. Rachel

I’ve been using this recipe for our public school pancake breakfast fundraisers for a couple of years now – it is great! I now have to make 7 x the recipe plus we also make a large quantity of the banana-oat pancake recipe from the KAF Whole Grain cookbook as a wheat free, dairy free alternative – those are also great. I’ve been varying the wheat free ones seasonally such as pumpkin pancakes around Halloween and raspberry ones for Valentines day this weekend.

Rachel, thanks for using your baking skills to help the school – that’s what it’s all about, sharing our creative talents for the greater good. Well, that and yummy pancakes, right? :) PJH

37. skfla500@gmail.com

Has anyone tried to make this without the oil? I prefer to keep mix dry then add oil at the same time I add the egg, yogurt, etc. Just not certain how much oil to add? I’m assuming about 2 Tbsp (which is 1/8 of the cup of oil added in this recipe). If anyone has tried this, please let me know. Thanks!!

PS: Pancakes are great btw. I did make 3 changes in recipe. I switched Bread flour for AP flour, I decreased the white whole wheat flour by 1 cup & increased white flour by 1 cup & then I sub-ed 2 3/4′s cup whole grain corn meal for the 3 1/2 rolled oats. But I have also tried it with thick rolled oats and they are very, very good also. **I do strongly recommend mixing the batter ahead of time so you can make sure you let your batter set for the 30-60 minutes recommended. It makes a big difference!**

38. Anneripp

If I had any oats in the house, we’d be having these tomorrow morning. As it is, the store is closed.

I, too, have difficulty with the bitterness of whole wheat and have never liked it. Could I add a tablespoon on OJ to whole wheat bread dough to cut the bitterness?
    Yes, you may substitute some of the water with OJ – up to 1/2 cup if you would like. Elisabeth

39. Cindy56

Can the recipe be converted to make waffles instead of pancakes? I’m not talking about Belgium waffles, just the plain old everyday variety.

Good question, Cindy. I’d add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil to the batter when you make it, to add crispness, but I’d think it would work pretty well. If you try it, let us know how they come out, OK? Enjoy – PJH

40. Dianemw

Best pancakes ever! And healthy whole grain to boot! Brought a container of mix when visiting our adult kids for the weekend. They wanted waffles rather than pancakes, so I added 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil like PJ suggested and they turned out so so yummy! So good in fact, that they each requested I make a batch of mix for them to have before heading back home!
    Nice to hear everyone was pleased with full bellies! Elisabeth

41. Sheila

I have some of your Orange Juice Powder – I’m wondering how much of it I should add to the mix to have the “orange juice effect” of reducing the “whole wheat taste”. Thanks.

42. Gisele

I’m not clear why you add the oil to the dry ingredient mix to freeze. Wouldn’t it be simpler to combine the dry ingredients only (so they can be stored in the cupboard) – and then add all the wet ingredients – including the proportion of oil needed – prior to cooking? Thank you

It’s fine to do it that way, Gisele – whatever you prefer. Since the mix includes whole grains and it’ll be kept in the freezer anyway, I prefer to just add the oil along with the other dry ingredients; one less step when it comes time to making pancakes. PJH

43. Eileen Hagen

These are delicious! No need to buy pancake mix ever again. I made a couple of batches and divided them into pint Mason jars and gave as gifts to friends. I’ve gotten calls from these friends saying how terrific they are. Very easy to make, too.