NY cheesecake: to die for!

I grew up 45 minutes outside Manhattan (yes, a true Jersey girl, from the land of Taylor Ham sandwiches and great diner food). Where I come from the cheesecake is dense, creamy, and tangy with a bit of sour cream, riding on a shortbread cookie-style crust. I still remember the incredible silkiness of the cheesecake Mrs. Weimann brought down to the beach where I was working as a lifeguard one day, just to give us a treat. And what a treat it was.

It’s funny, since we’ve been polishing up the recipes section of our website, to discover some of the things that haven’t been on it. We’ve had some gaps to address, and this bad boy is one of them. There’s really nothing hard about making a cheesecake, but there are some subtle points that can make a very big difference in the quality of the outcome. Here’s how to arrive at an eye-closing, head-tilted back, moan-of-pleasure forkful of NY Style Cheesecake.

Before you do anything, take the cream cheese out to warm up. You can leave it on the counter in its packaging overnight, or take the cold cream cheese out of its wrapper and put it in a large bowl to microwave it at low power in 20-second bursts. When you can stir it easily and there are no lumps or cold spots, you’re ready to go. The eggs should be at room temperature, too, but that one’s easy: just put them in a bowl of warm water while you’re wrestling with the cream cheese.

The crust goes together without much fuss. Cream butter and sugar, add flavorings and flour, mix. Now add an egg to bring it all together, and you have dough.

2chsckcrstaddegg.JPG

Now plop it in the pan and press it along the bottom and up the sides. To smooth out the bottom I like to use our handy little pastry roller.
3chsckrollcrst.JPG

Now dock the dough so steam can escape while the crust bakes (otherwise it will make a big dome).

chsckdocked.JPG

After baking, it’s set and light golden brown. We’ll let it cool while we assemble the filling. Don’t forget to turn the oven down now: the cheesecake will bake at 325°F.

Now for the filling. This is one of those points I was referring to earlier: lumpy cream cheese means lumpy filling, and that’s not what we’re after. Put the softened cream cheese in the mixer with the sugar and flour from the recipe.

Let the mixer run at low speed (you don’t want to beat air into it; you’re just trying to combine everything), until it’s smooth.

4chsckscrpfill-copy.JPG

Stop and scrape the bowl to be sure there’s no cream cheese sticking to the bottom or sides, and mix again. This part of the recipe is your best opportunity to get rid of lumps, so be sure you do so now, because after the eggs are in it’s much harder to accomplish.

Everything nice and smooth? Ok, now you can add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time. Too many eggs at once will make you a big slimy mess that won’t want to mix; you need the traction of the cream cheese mixture’s thickness to help you incorporate the egg.

5chsckaddegg2-copy.JPG
After each egg disappears, scrape the bowl to make sure everything is the same consistency, and you don’t have any thicker batter sticking to the sides and bottom.

Add the lemon zest last, so it doesn’t all get stuck to the paddle.

chsckaddzest.JPG

Don’t forget the sour cream.

chscksrcrm.JPG

Pour the batter over the crust in the pan.

6chsckpour-copy.JPG

Smooth it out with an offset spatula.

chscksmooth.JPG

Now for the trickiest part: the bake. I can hear you saying, “Huh? What’s so hard about putting a pan in the oven?” Nothing. What’s hard is knowing when to turn the oven off and let the cake coast across the finish line from the retained heat (it’s called carryover cooking). Since cheesecake has a generous amount of raw eggs in it, people freak out and frequently overcook them. I did.

A little food science here: The protein in eggs begins to coagulate at 140°F for whites, 150°F for yolks. The addition of sugar and other ingredients raises that temperature, but not by much. The more you cook an egg past that temperature, the tighter the proteins become, and the more they shrink. They can contract so much that they squeeze out the liquid they’re supposed to be capturing: that’s why overcooked scrambled eggs begin to weep.

The first cheesecake I made was from a recipe I was adapting; I made a basic testing error, and didn’t set the timer for 10 minutes less than the recipe said to. When I checked the temperature of the cake an inch from the edge, it was 195°F. It was still wobbly in the middle, so I thought I was going to be ok.I propped open the oven door with a potholder, turned the oven off, and set the timer for an hour.

7ovendoor-copy.JPG

When I came back, it looked like this:

chsck190.JPG

This cracked cake tasted fine, but its texture was a bit grainy and a on the dry side. Time for take two.

Take 2: another cheesecake, but this time I backed off on the bake time. When the batter measured 175°F an inch and a half from the edge, I repeated the coasting process: oven off, door propped open, timer set for 60 minutes.

chsckedonebakg.JPG

The top seemed awfully juicy (about 3 inches across in the center), but I stuck to my guns, and turned the oven off after propping it open. Here’s the way the cake finished up.

chsckdone.JPG

Now that’s more like it! The blemish you see on the right is where I took the cake’s temperature, but that will be hidden by the topping. This cheesecake was incredibly silky. Dangerous to the diet, that’s for sure.

Refrigerate the cheesecake while you make the topping. You can use any kind of fruit you like, but tart cherries or fresh strawberries are classic.

Cook the water/sugar/cornstarch mixture until it’s thick,

nychsckglz4.JPG

add a few drops of red food coloring (not critical, but it does look better if you do), remove from the heat and stir in the fruit.

nychsckglz5.JPG

Spoon over the top of the cheesecake, and your creation is ready for prime time.

Buy vs. Bake

This cake certainly demonstrates the savings you can capture by baking your own dessert:

Eileen’s cheesecake (NYC) 10” plain cheesecake: $65; 20 servings, $3.25 each
Bake your own: $11.48, 20 servings, .57 each

Susan Reid

Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently enjoying her fourth career after stints in advertising, running restaurants, and teaching at the New England Culinary Institute. She joined King Arthur in 2002 to ...

comments

1. chocolatechic

I heart NY style cheese cake.

I also heart graham cracker crumb crust…thick made with sugar and butter…..

Now I am hungry.

Well, I guess that leaves no choice but to make one! Have fun and thanks for sharing. Elisabeth @ The Baker’s Hotline

2. Christine

Hi KAF,

Do you have suggestions for baking without a springform pan? I don’t own one and am reticent to buy it for a single purpose. I mean, people weren’t baking cheesecake with these pans 100 years ago! Plus, Alton Brown says he never uses them and I listen to pretty much anything he says. Thanks for any tips!

Hi, Christine! You can bake a cheesecake in any deep (at least 2 inches) cake pan. I’d recommend putting a parchment circle underneath the crust to facilitate getting it out of the pan after baking. In the bakeries I worked in, we’d bake cheesecakes, cool them thoroughly (usually overnight), then to get them out of the pan we’d heat the bottom over a low flame for about 30 seconds, (this helps free up the buttery crust) then flip them out onto a plate and then back right side up. Hope this helps. Susan

3. Amanda

i never knew why cakes cracked in the middle like that before. Now i know its about the eggs and sugar seizing up due to overly hot temperature. I know that baking it in a water bath helps aid the baking process as well. This is right, right?

Dear Amanda: Baking in a water bath increases the window of opportunity to get the cake’s cooking stopped at the right time by smoothing out the rate at which temperatures rise and fall. It’s like trying to make a right turn at 5 miles an hour vs. 50. Susan

4. Over there

So here is a puzzler for you baking masters…I currently live in Denmark where you _can_ buy cream cheese but only the spreadable kind which does not work well in baking (trust me, I tried). I did manage very good cream cheese frosting by using mascarpone but I am hesitant to try that switch in something pickier like a cheese cake. Any advice?
    I think mascarpone would work just fine. It’s a little more wet than cream cheese on this side of the pond, but I think you can adjust for that by either adding 2 more tablespoons of flour to take up the extra water, or another egg. Good luck, and let me know if it works! Susan

5. Beth

A month or so ago, I had to make cheesecake to serve 60 guests. I was trying out different recipes, and I’m not sure if this is the same recipe that’s in the Baker’s Companion (too lazy to look it up), but it was favored by a majority of taste testers (my husband’s coworkers). I made it in a 9 x 13 inch springform pan and lined the bottom with parchment paper before I baked the crust. I also used a water bath. The parchment paper made it so easy to remove the cheesecake from the bottom.

1. rebecca176

I love this cheesecake recipe. After it cools down an hour, can you remove it from the spring form pan or when it completely chills in the frig? I want to place it in a box for a Christmas gift.

2. PJ Hamel

The longer it can chill the less fragile it’ll be, Rebecca. But yes, you can absolutely take it out of its pan and box it. Just don’t leave it at room temperature for hours on end; it really needs to stay refrigerated, for food safety reasons. Good luck – PJH

6. Jackie

I LOVE this blog. I check it everyday. I have tried many of the recipes.
    I can’t wait to try this one. I have a question about freezing cheesecake.
    Can it be frozen ? If yes how long could you leave it in the freezer ?
    Thanks so much for taking the time to break down each step. It really helps. Yes, you can freeze cheesecake. I once froze one and forgot about it and it was still wonderful 6 months later. Joan@the baker’s hotline

7. deb devo

Step 5 (for the filling) indicates salt should be added, but I can’t find how much. I can only see salt in the crust part? Am I missing something? Sorry– it should say 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Joan @ the baker’s hotline

8. Kat DeFonce

I too visit this blog often; usually daily and LOVE it! Thanks!!! Actually, KAF is the only site I visit often. I have been “burned” when buying bakeware and other baking supplies on-line when not from KAF (every time except twice!). I’ll stick with what works and with what I trust.

With regard to this cheesecake, it can be summed up with one word; YUM. I can’t wait to try it. This recipe is very similiar to the one I’ve been using. I got it from a great Jewish Deli/Bakery that used to be in Manhatten. His recipe was made with a graham cracker, sugar & butter crust of which I must say I prefer. Sorry. His recipe also calls for a layer of sour cream on top of the cheese filling – not much, just about 1/4″ and then topped with fruit, if desired. Lemon curd is my all time favorite (cherries, 2nd.).

Good God, my stomach is rumbling; my mouth watering!

9. Kimberly

I have a New York style receipe and it called for a can of sweet milk instead of sour cream…how much of a difference in taste is there of the two mixed in a cheese cake? I seem to be lucky and so far (knock on wood) mine don’t crack.
    Kimberly, are you meaning sweetened condensed milk? If so, the result will be a sweeter cake. If you make that substitution, I’d suggest cutting the sugar in the filling back to 1 1/2 cups. Susan

10. Nel

Hi,

Can you make this cheese cake with REAL cream cheese?

I live in Central Europe, where cream cheese is made with CREAM and not with stabilizers, emulsifiers, guar gum and other oddities – nothing you don’t find on the farm is added.

Only in the past year or so has the famous stuff in the silver box come into the market here (at ridiculous prices). I’m afraid that after ten years of eating REAL cream cheese (either made at home on someone’s farm or bought in any grocery store – it’s all the same simple, old-fashioned FRESH cream cheese), I’m spoiled. The silver-wrapped stuff looks like library paste, feels like slime in the mouth and tastes like… nothing much. It’s too chalky-white, too gummy/slimy (ever notice how it hardens up into a crust if you leave a bit of it exposed to air?) and just doesn’t taste like cream.

So, does anyone make cheese cake anymore in the US with REAL cream cheese? Or does ‘cheesecake’ in the US mean ‘library-paste in a silver wrapper’ cake?

Would using the real thing make the cake different? I’d like to try this because all the cooks I know over here are keeping mum about their mother’s and grandmother’s and aunt’s and great-aunt’s recipes for their fabulous cheese cakes, and I’d like to make a real, baked cheese cake myself. But I just won’t eat that stuff in a silver wrapper anymore.

Do the various additives do anything necessary to this cake?

Thanks.
    Nel: I envy you your access to the real McCoy, so to speak. I think you should be able to use this recipe without too much trouble. The only variable would be how much moisture your real cheese has vs. the “silver slab”. If you feel you need to make an adjustment (try the recipe as is, first), I’d suggest the same tweaks that I recommended above for mascarpone: an additional tablespoon or two of flour in the filling, or an additional egg to help the filling set better. Good luck, and I wish I could be there for a taste!! Susan

11. Sonia

I have been wanting to try out my new individual cheesecake pan. What baking time do you suggest? Are there any other changes that would need to be made?
    Individual bake times can vary by pan. I would begin checking the cakes at 10 minutes. Frank from KAF.

12. Mike T.

Hi All, I’ve been out of town this week and am just catching up! Apple/Carmel cake looks great (next blog entry) and this looks good too, tho I’m not a fan of NY style. I do like French style. Can this be adapted? Can you give equal time to those that don’t care for 2lb hunks of cheesecake? ;-)

Thanks!

13. Jules

I have never made a cheesecake before but tried this yesterday. The whole family have said this was amazing and perfect :o) Thanks so much for the recipe. It was my Mums birthday today and this was the perfect celebration dessert :)

14. Morten

Hi KAF,

Thanks a lot, I made this cake (with blueberries) 2 days ago and it was delicious!

The only minor issue was that the crust absorbed some moisture from the cream while baking and got a little soggy. What should I do to solve that? Will a graham cracker crumb crust solve it, and can I use Digestive biscuits instead?You might try putting the rack one notch lower in your oven. This would help make the crust less soggy. You could use a graham cracker or digestive biscuit crust if you wished. Mary @ King Arthur Flour

15. Johnny

Hello

Just a sugestion for all of us that have had a cracked cheesecake come out of the oven. Just add a scant teaspoon of cornstarch fixed my cracked cheesecakes. Also a waterbath at 275 degrees for 2 hours in a convection oven gives a great textuer. Remember cooking times can vary. But I do prefer to slow cook a cheesecake. A springform pan works great for other things also, like a flourless chocolate cake.

16. Cathy

Thanks for the recipe! I created a much lighter sort of chiffon cheesecake years ago as my signature cake, but my husband has always preferred the New York variety. I’ll have to try this out for him.

BTW, my “secret ingredient” for my cherry cheesecake is a few drops of Fior di Sicilia in the cherry topping. And instead of cornstarch, I use your clear gel.

17. Calla

How do you water bath a cheesecake?

Calla, you mean how do you bake a cheesecake in a water bath? Put the cheesecake pan in a larger pan of hot water that comes about halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan. This helps bake the cheesecake slowly and gently. – PJH

18. Mark Talisman

I am very grateful for King Arthur’s comments that we are all in this together. I want to suggest the need right now for so many who read and buy from KA’s catalogue to get busy in meaningful ways as I have found too many people normally and many more now in each of our communities without breat to eat let alone all these delicious goodies listed here often.
    In fact, local food pantries have exhausted their free offerings to those in need and shelves empty very often now and have been so for most of this year.
    I bake lots of breads and other things and distribute them to all I know who need around our house.
    Imagine, if so many who bake organize and so so; not relying on canned foods and cash alone but to give special treats, too, from your heart to those most in need.
    In times of need and most of all in real and unusual times not seen like these for a very long time, why not, eh?
    Happy baking and thanks, King Arthur, for helping to back us up so those who really need can share this goodness through hands and hearts that can make it happen just by baking it all.
    Looks in faces of all who are surprised to receive is the best kind of response one can get. Dropping goodies off in hander bags and disappearing is the best way:
    The greatest good deed is the one you cannot be thanked for.

Thank you so much, Mark. A wonderful message. King Arthur prepares and serves community dinners to the hungry in our area regularly, and we’re seeing a real upswing in numbers of guests. A sad commentary, but when all of us pull together, we can make the world a better place. Readers, Mark is right – bake and share. Bake and give. When do you ever like to bake just for yourself anyway, right? Now’s the time to cast your net a bit wider and find another audience for your treats. Thank you, everyone – PJH

19. Jim

I have had huge success making cheesecakes with Tyler Florence’s recipe called “Ultimate Cheesecake”. I’m sure I’ve made it at least 100 times in different variations from plain to fuit topped to a version completely enrobed in chocolate. It’s a no brainer, it always works.
    Jim M

20. Mohana

I made this cheesecake. It was a complete success!! What a wonderful recipe!! Thanks so much for sharing it! You can see pictures (if you have a chance) at my blog.

21. freezing cheesecake

Hi, I was wondering if it would be okay to freeze this cheesecake WITH the topping on it too…I’ve heard that you shouldn’t freexe cheesecakes with the toppings, but don’t really know why?

Thanks!

Thanks for asking. It is best to top any cheesecake after removing from the freezer. Many fruit toppings get a little runny after freezing.

Happy Baking!
    MaryJane @ The Baker’s Hotline

22. Erica

Hello, It says above not to freeze the cheese cake with the topping, what i wanted to know was if the cheese cakes with fruit swirled into them could be frozen, or if the texture would be altered. thanks.
    Hi, Erica. If fruit or a puree is swirled through the cake, yes, it can be frozen. Topping, not so much. The starches that thicken them aren’t usually freeze/thaw stable. Susan

23. Jennifer

I have a fabulous recipe that I used to make years ago. My daughter just bragged to her fiance that I made the best cheesecake, so I made one for Christmas. I had to throw it out – just awful. The “cheesy” layer is supposed to be smooth as silk, but it was curdled or grainy. That happened a couple of times before, but mostly turned out perfectly. I always chalked up the failure to the kind of lemon juice I used. I HATE to have baking failures! Any thoughts?
    Jennifer: if you send me your recipe at susan.reid@kingarthurflour.com I can take a look at it for you. Curdling is usually a sign of the cake being overbaked; are you using a different oven then you used to? Does it have an independent thermometer? If the temperature in it swings a lot it might be overcooking it at the high end of the range. Is the pan darker, or not in a water bath? If I can see what your recipe is saying I can give you a better “guesstimate”. Susan

24. Melanie

I was wondering if it is possible to bake this in a glass square pan. I wanted to cut it up later into bite size portions?

HI Melanie,
    This recipe makes a large cheesecake, so you will need a glass 13×9, or 2 glass squares. I would recommend a water bath baking. Be sure to chill thoroughly if you are cutting into small pieces. ~ MJR

25. Jeanne

Susan, I love your recipe and it turned out perfectly because of your step by step instructions. Thank you so much. I would like to make them as individual cheesecakes, but don’t know how to tell if it is time to turn off the oven and let them finish, when they are so much smaller than the springform.

Appreciate your help in advance,
    Jeanne in Kent Washington

You will still measure the temperature 1 inch from the edge (you are looking for 175 degrees) and then turn off the oven. Joan@bakershotline

26. Jeanne Humphrey

Susan you are Super for helping me out at the last minute with converting this recipe to small 2″ size individual cheesecakes in time for a party tomorrow. The differences in time are: It only took 17 minutes to test at 175 degrees, and took 30 minutes to finish with the oven off and the door left open. They set up beautifully and are very creamy even before chilling overnight. Thank You!
    Jeanne

27. Kelly Oettinger

One of my absolute favorite flavors is Vietnamese cinnamon. Can you
    tell me how I would incorporate a cinnamon layer into a cheesecake? I
    do have some of your baker’s cinnamon filling. I also have your
    Vietnamese cinnamon, which I plan on using in my graham cracker crust.

Thank you for your help. You guys are the absolute best! You could put in part of the cheesecake filling, then add a layer of baker’s cinnamon filling, then put in the remaining cheesecake dough.Mary @ KAF

28. Jen

I have a question about leaving your cheesecake unrefrigerated for too long. I made this last night, cooled it in the oven for an hour, then took it out. It was still so hot that I needed oven mitts. I meant to wait another hour before putting it in the fridge, but instead I fell asleep for 6 hours THEN woke up, panicked, and stuck it in the fridge. Since the cake was still in the process of cooling down, do you think it is safe to eat, or am I risking poisoning all of our house guests tonight?

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news. In this specific situation, throw it out. It has been in the “danger zone” (40-140 degree) for far too long. Frank @ KAF.

29. tobey

I am making a cheescake that has a sour cream glaze on top. Do I freeze it with the sour cream glaze on top. If I choose not to freeze it how long will the sour cream glaze stay fresh refridgerated?
    It’;s not a good idea to freeze the cheesecake with the glaze as it can curdle and separate when thawed. The glaze should last for 3 or 4 days in the fridge. Molly @ KAF

30. cassmac84

If I bake the cheesecake in a water bath do I remove the cake from the water and onto the rack after I turn the oven off? Or leave the cake in the water for the entire cooking process?
    Good question. You leave the cake as is, in the water bath, during the cool down with the oven off. ~ MaryJane

31. cassmac84

I baked this recipe! O.H. M.Y. G.O.S.H!!! My whole family was in heaven. They said it was better that cheesecake factory! KAF nailed this one on the head! My question is could I make this recipe into an oreo cheesecake. Obviously changing the crust, but would I have to change the filling recipe to add about 5 or 6 coarsely chopped cookies? Oooo! I think that would be a yummy cake!

No need to change anything, just add away – sounds fabulous! PJH

32. Melissa

I am making this right now, it’s in the oven…BUT, I only have a 9″ springform pan so I had too much batter. I am trying it out in my mini cheeesecake pan, also, but I have NO idea how long to cook them and how to tell if they are done. I am also afraid that using that much lemon zest will make for a cheesecake that will be too lemony, can I leave some of it out next time if it is? Thank you so much for so many wonderful recipes!

Melissa, anything that’s strictly for flavor – e.g., lemon zest – can be cut back or left out entirely – no harm done. As for the baking time for the mini cakes, they’ll bake a lot more quickly. Insert a toothpick about midway between edge and center, and when it’s clean – pull them out. Good luck – PJH

33. cassmac84

This is my favorite cheesecake recipe! I always get rave reviews. My question is…I am supposed to make finger desserts for a party. Can I make this recipe in mini cheesecakes, and what would the baking instructions be? Would I cool in the oven with the door open also?

This will work in the mini pan. The baking time will be about 20 minutes. Frank @ KAF.

34. diananc

Hi, KAF Guys !

With just my Hubby and I, I’d like to use my 6 in springform pan, but have no idea how to cut down the recipe or bake time. Would I cut the recipe down to just 1/3 the original?

Thanks for any help !
    Diana
    Hi Diana,
    Thanks for asking, but we haven’t tested any of the recipes in a reduced sized version. My best suggestion would be to make the full sized version and invite some friends over, or make two smaller 8″ versions by dividing up the filling evenly and give one cheesecake away. ~ MaryJane

35. SUZYQRN

I just found this recipe and it sounds delicious. It is very similar to the one my sister gave me and it too says “NY Cheesecake”.
    I need to know…can I use the reduced fat cream cheese or do I have to stick to the full fat regular version???
    Hi there,
    If you are going to use reduced fat cream cheese, use it for only part of the total cream cheese in the recipe, no more than half. You just don’t get the same texture with it. ~ MaryJane

36. wheatfreebud

This sounds like a great cheesecake. My son has a wheat allergy that we have adapted to well in part to using King Arthur Flour gluten free flour and mixes. It is always fun to make and serve foods prepared for everyone’s surprise and enjoyment that is gluten free. Does the KAF kitchen have experience with a NY cheesecake using the gluten free flours? Thanks!

In the crust, use an equal amount of g-f Multi-Purpose flour. In the filling reduce the amount of flour from 1/4 cup to 3 Tablespoons. Frank @ KAF.

37. BAMaris

This looks so good! I’d plan on making the pumpkin cheesecake. Would you suggest leaving the lemon zest out? What about the sour cream–will I still need it? Thanks.
    Hi there,
    The recipe for the all pumpkin cheesecake is a bit different than the NY cheesecake. It doesn’t have the lemon, but adds spices instead. For the pumpkin swirl, I still leave in the lemon and the sour cream, and then just add the pumpkin spicing to the 1 cup that you remove. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

38. debzy

To Diana – when I make cheesecake for the two of us, I cut it into pieces, wrap each piece well in cling wrap, then foil and lastly into a freezer bag. Then when we want cheesecake, we take a couple of slices out and thaw them. It tastes just as good as the day I put it into the freezer and we don’t have to eat cheesecake for a week…not that we couldn’t, just that we shouldn’t :)

39. mycatthai

Have used this recipe and taste is wonderful. Crust does not stay crisp, however. I do use a water bath too bake the cheesecake. What can I do to keep my crust solid?

Sadly, because the cheesecake needs to be refrigerated, it’s difficult to keep the crust from softening in the cold storage. You can try spreading melted chocolate on the crust and letting it set before adding the filling. Another barrier is a lightly beaten egg white that you spread on the crust then bake at 350′ for 3 – 5 minutes and cool before adding the filling and baking again. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

40. Laura

I’d love to try this cheesecake marbled with chocolate. Any suggestions on how to do this? Should I mix a small amount of the filling with melted chocolate or just drizzle some melted chocolate on the top and swirl it around?
    Try swirling in this Chocolate Velvet Cheesecake batter! ~Amy

41. couldbegood

Surely the type of oven one has will effect how well this cheesecake turns out. I have an electric oven that cools off quickly, so there would not be enough residual heat to finish baking the cheesecake. Has anyone else mentioned this in regard to how their cheescecake turned out?
    Hi there,
    We’ve used electric ovens for all of our cheesecakes here and haven’t seen any difficulties with the cakes not baking. If you think your oven would cool too quickly to finish baking the cake completely, you can bake the cake slightly longer before shutting the oven off. ~ MaryJane

42. couldbegood

Looking at the your tutorial again and comparing it to the recipe linked above, I find that, unless I’m missing it, the tutorial does not include the flour listed in the recipe. Since I have never had good luck making any cheesecake with flour (it always cracks for me), I take it it isn’t necessary here?? Also, this recipe is very similar to the one from America’s Test Kitchen. Theirs starts out at a relatively high temp of 500 for 10 minutes, then is lowered to a very low temperature of 200 for a long, slow baking of the cake. Which method is best and why?
    Thank you for pointing out the flour omission- yes, it is an ingredient that should be added and I have corrected the error. I have had the best results with the method in this recipe. The cheesecake is never over-baked, nor are there any cracks. I have not use ATK’s method yet. ~Amy

43. bunny

making a cheesecake and it calls for 3 tbls flour and 3 tbls corn starch sister is on gluten free diet can i just use 4 and a half tbls corn starch cant find gluten free flour here
    4 tablespoons of cornstarch will work just fine

44. peatmosse

I don’t know how they do it in Jersey, but the NY Cheesecake I remember is NEVER, NEVER, NEVER covered with gloppy fruit topping! Tall, dense, creamy, lemony, but PLAIN. I was born in Long Island and I still loathe any cheesecake covered or flavored. I’ll have to try this recipe (without the topping!) because living in Nashville it’s impossible to find much NY anything (although we do have a pizza place now called NY Pie run by some Jersey boys who say they learned pizza in Brooklyn!)

45. Anita Segreti

I was talking to a friend today who loves to make cheesecake. He is thinking of doing it commercially, but is concerned that sometimes his cheesecakes don’t slice as neatly as he would wish. This would be a problem in selling to restautants etc. I am thinking that the addition of flour or cornstarch added to the cheeecake batter corrects this, but I am not positive. He says he adds neither. Your thoughts, please.

Be sure the cheesecake is cold when you cut it, and use a knife dipped in warm water (shake off the water). It should slide right through to make nice slices. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

46. Julie

Is is all right if I bake it in a 9-inch springform pan instead of a 10-inch one? I have a rather minimally equipped kitchen, stocked with the philosophy of “basic is better.”

1. PJ Hamel

Julie, my suggestion is to look at the blog photos, and don’t fill your pan too full; see how, in the 10″ pan, the filling rose up over the rim of the pan as the cake baked? In a 9″ pan, that would translate to a big mess! So just take any extra filling, and bake it in a ramekin alongside the cake. Good luck – PJH

47. Pat

Hi Susan, I need to bake a 12″ round x at least 2″ tall cheesecake. I have the cake pan (12 x 3), it’s just not a springform. I want it as a middle layer for a 4th of July cake, so I won’t be using the crust part. I need to know: 1.) Can I just increase the recipe by about 15 – 20% ?

2.) Do I need to adjust the bake time?

I’m planning to use parchment paper in the pan, and have another pan that I could for waterbath if necessary. Anything else I need to do/think about? Thank you much!! Love your blog and anxiously await your answer. Thank you so much. Pat

1. Amy Trage

In order to simplify the math and to invite minimal risk with increasing ingredients, I would increase the recipe by 1/2 (50%) and use any leftover batter to make mini cheesecakes in a separate pan. You will need to increase the baking time to accommodate the larger volume of batter, but stick with the internal temperature of 175° as the directions suggest and you should be all set. ~Amy