Taking the challah challenge

Challah? Me, a nice Irish-Catholic girl from Boston—what do I know about challah?

It was Halley again. “Let’s put up some recipes for the Jewish high holidays. We need a new section on the recipe site. What should we put in there?

“Cheesecake,” said Susan. “And honey cake. And I have this wicked good potato crust pie…”

Halley looked at me. I thought quickly.  What do I know about Jewish cooking? Well, when I was a kid we ate at a deli called Jack and Marion’s. It was a huge, noisy place, and smelled like fried potatoes and sour pickles. It also had the biggest menu—I mean, physically big—that I’d ever seen; it was probably 2 feet tall.

But what was on that menu? I racked my brain, looking for Jewish-high-holiday recipe inspiration. All I remember is bagels and cream cheese, since that was all I was brave enough to try. My parents ate pastrami. Sometimes a Reuben—ewww, sauerkraut! Icky pink salad dressing! Nothing really bakeable came to mind.

“P.J.?” Halley inquired. “What do you think?”

Um um um…. “How about challah?” I blurted out, offering the first Jewish baked good that came to mind.  Challah—I know, it’s a braid. It’s shiny and very yellow.

“Great! How about apple challah? It sounds SO good. Or raisin challah. Oh, this’ll be good!” Halley smiled, Susan smiled. I smiled… tentatively.

Luckily, I’ve actually made challah before—once. The recipe came from one of my very best friends in the world, Lora Brody, whose written the funniest food books ever, including Growing Up on the Chocolate Diet, and Indulgences. Lora got the recipe from her mother, Millie Apter. So I figure, this is the real deal.

I look up Millie’s challah recipe, and remember—oh yeah, whole wheat pastry flour. Variation on the real deal.  How will that go over for the Jewish high holidays? Aren’t they, like, all about tradition? Surely I can take Millie’s recipe and make it traditional, I thought. I’ll switch it to all-purpose flour. And then make it into apple challah. And raisin challah.

After a few false starts—including a taste test by a visiting crew of Israeli videographers who pronounced my efforts “too moist; should be drier and stringier”—I came up with three challah recipes that everyone endorsed, including Andrea, my fellow test baker who knows the intricacies of kosher cooking; and fellow Web team members Janet and Jim, both of whom know Jewish cooking inside and out.

And Halley, who started all of this in the first place.

Once again, Halley, you nudged me to go somewhere I wouldn’t have gone. You’ve successfully broadened my Jewish baking horizons beyond bagels and cream cheese.

Just don’t ask me to make a flourless Passover cake again.

Happy Rosh Hashanah, everyone. Let’s bake some apple challah.

img_6921.JPG

Let’s start by putting the dough ingredients into a mixer bowl.  Oil and eggs, rather than butter, give this loaf its tender texture.

img_6922.JPG

Mix with the flat beater till everything comes together…

img_6923.JPG

…then knead for about 7 minutes, till soft and elastic. The surface of the dough may look a bit rough; that’s OK.

img_7852.JPG

Or the dough may leave a film around the side of the bowl. That’s OK, too.

img_8035.JPG

Place in the rising container of your choice, cover…

img_8052.JPG

And let rise till doubled. This should take about 2 hours, more or less.

img_8006.JPG

Next, prepare apples by coring, cutting into chunks, and tossing in cinnamon and sugar. No need to peel them.

img_8053.JPG

Flatten the dough into a rectangle about the size of a standard sheet of paper, and pile half the apples in a strip that’s just a bit off-center.

img_8054.JPG

Fold one edge of the dough over the apples.

img_8055.JPG

Then pile the rest of the apples atop the folded-over dough.

img_8057.JPG

Fold the other edge of the dough over  the apples. You’ve now made a letter fold. Pinch the edges closed. Though, with what comes next, you’ll wonder why you bothered!

img_8058.JPG

This begins to get messy. Don’t stress; it’s supposed to be rather haphazard. Don’t be afraid to lose control of this apple-stuffed dough; it’ll all work out in the end, like life usually does. Cut the dough in half crosswise.

img_8059.JPG

Then cut it in half lengthwise.

img_8060.JPG

Cut each lengthwise piece into 8 pieces. The entire piece of dough should be cut into 16 pieces.

img_8062.JPG

Pick the pieces up, and put them in a lightly greased 9” round cake pan. The dough will be slippery; the apples will slide out. No worries—just tuck any errants apple chunks in among the dough crevices.

img_8064.JPG

Ah, here we are. That wasn’t so hard, was it? Cover the pan, and let the dough rise for about an hour.

img_8092.JPG

When nicely risen, the dough will just crest the rim of your pan, if your pan is 2” deep (as it should be). If you have a shallower pan, you might consider using a springform pan. Or a 10” round cake pan. Or a 9” square pan.

img_8088.JPG

Just before putting the challah into the oven, brush it with egg wash made from a whole egg and water. Sprinkle with coarse white sugar, if desired. Some folks like this bread with sugar; some prefer drizzling honey over it once it’s done.

img_8093.JPG

Put the challah in the preheated oven, on a lower shelf. The top browns very deeply, and if it’s too close to the oven’s upper element, it’ll char.

img_8095.JPG

Bake the challah for about 55 minutes, till it’s light golden brown all over, and a darker brown—even black—in some spots.

img_7902.JPG

Here’s a challah sprinkled with coarse sugar.

img_7905.JPG

Very nice texture, huh? See what those Israeli videographers mean by “stringy”? That’s a good thing. This bread is nicely moist; the apples provide both flavor, and a nice variation in texture. All in all—a good loaf. To serve, cut in slices, and drizzle with honey.

Read, review, and rate (please!) our recipes for  Apple Challah, Raisin Challah, and Classic Challah.  And for more tasty treats, check out all of our Jewish Holiday recipes.

Buy vs. Bake:

Buy: Macrina Bakery, Seattle: Plain Challah, 23¢/ounce

Bake at home: Apple Challah, 7¢/ounce

comments

1. Jennifer Hodge

This looks wonderful.Is Challah like brioche?And can I just put this in a loaf pan without the apples?

Hi Jennifer,
    If you prefer no apples, check out the Classic Challah recipe link at the bottom. It is the same basic recipe, sans apples.
    Happy Baking!
    MaryJane @ The Baker’s Hotline

2. dena

Well … at least it’s appropriately round-shaped for the holidays. Seems more of a dessert, rather than to be served with the main part of the meal.

3. chocolatechic

Looks lovely.

I would have never thought to put fruit in it.

PS. How do you pronounce Challah?

I say “hah-lah.” Those who pronounce it correctly give a back-of-the-throat sound to the “ch”. PJH

4. Marj

Hummmm, my mouth is watering! I have to go back to baking soon and try this one first, thanks for the inspiration!

By the way, I just love the Harvest bread (with cranberry) in the catalogue. Can you show that ?? Just can’t help thinking about Harvest bread with Fall around the corner!!! Thanks!!

Marj, I see you’ve made the recipe – good idea to blog it. I’ll see when I can slot it in. – PJH

5. Gayle

Although I’m not Jewish, I baked Challah last year for some of my husband’s colleagues. I offered honey and apple butter for toppings. Since this recipe has apples baked in, I can skip the apple butter! Looks lovely. Do you recommend tearing it or slicing it? Thanks!

Hi Gayle – I like to tear it, and Halley likes it sliced. Up to you. And I think that’s probably the point of adding the apples – since apple is a traditional food at Rosh Hashanah, baking them right into the challah makes sense. – PJH

6. Eagle

Could KA unbleached bread flour be used or does it have to be just the regular KA unbleached flour? I wasn’t sure if the values for this type of bread would change too much from the slightly different protein counts. I can’t wait to try this recipe, looks scrumptious!

You can use bread flour – the challah may be a bit tougher. And you’ll have to increase the water, probably by a couple of tablespoons. Other than that, should be fine – enjoy! PJH

7. michele

This looks amazing! I bake challah all the time and never thought to add fruit (other than raisins). Thanks for thinking out of the box, I cannot wait to make this – just think how yummy this would be with a nice roasted sweet potato bisque or squash soup!
    michele

Michele, thanks – I can’t take credit for the idea, as I’ve seen other recipes for it, but I did fool around with it and kind of “King Arthurize” it. :) PJH

8. chocomouse

I wonder how this recipe would work in the tea ring you sell? I’m always looking for new recipes for that dish. It needs more dough than a 3-cup of flour recipe makes, and since it has a rounded bottom and is not an even depth, it needs a solid, shaped dough. I think I’ll try it anyway.

I think it would work OK. And would probably be even nicer just as plain challah dough, made into a long, thin braid laid into the tea ring pan. Thanks for the inspiration – give it a try, let us know how it comes out. – PJH

9. Judybread

This is very similar to the “chop bread” recipe my aunt gave me in the ’90s. You basically roll out bread dough (the recipe was for frozen white bread dough from the supermarket but I can’t say I ever actually stooped that low!) and pile on whatever ingredients suit your fancy-sauerkraut, diced corned beef and swiss cheese, peaches,almonds and cream cheese, pepperoni and cheese, drained chunky salsa and cheese or my favorite-chopped spinach, ham and feta. You then pull the dough around the filling, pinch shut, then cut into 2″ cubes. Toss gently to distribute fillings and bake in a loaf pan or free form on a baking sheet. Yummmmm…..I’d forgotten all about that recipe but now I’ll have to try your apple challah and a savory chop bread today! Rainy autumn Sundays in New England are
    my favorite baking time!

Yeah, it reminded me of chop bread too, Judy. I actually did a chop bread recipe someplace within King Arthur years ago – maybe an old Baking Sheet. As I recall, it had chunks of pepper cheese and pepperoni, and was just wildly red/orange and a real mess and was fabulously, decadently delicious. I’ll have to try it again. It’s foggy here in New Hampshire, no rain at the moment, but yes, ideal for baking. PJH

10. Beth

PJ, it seems strange not to peel the apples. Do they fall off, or dry up during baking, or do nothing at all? Not trying to be difficult. Maybe I’m getting a picture of unpeeled fresh tomatoes in my mind, and what happens when you try to make a sauce, etc without peeling them (referring to the tomatoes of course). This apple challah does look great, however. Speaking of Lora Brody, I was going to make her honey cake (using fresh apples) from her “Cooking with Memories” book. Her chapter on her son’s bris had me laughing so hard, I couldn’t read any more, because tears were pooling up in my eyes and running down my face.

Hi Beth – the recipes I looked at said “peel the apples or not, but it’s more interesting/attractive with the peels left on” – The peels actually just kind of soften right on the apples. They add a bit of chew. Which either you find distasteful, or nice in a rustic/lusty sort of way… How are your Ginger Golds this year? And as for Lora Brody, I can read and re-read her books till the cows come home. :) I remember sitting in a cold hockey rink at 6 a.m. reading Indulgences, and everyone thought I was a crazy woman because here’s this hockey game going on, and I’m sitting in the stands reading a book and just howling with laughter, all by myself. Speaking of the cows coming home – I hope yours are all well? PJH

11. Yvonne Notch

This recipe sounds wonderful, but when I tried to print out a copy of it, I only got page one and the last page of comments. The entire body of the recipe was missing. Is it my printer or is there a glitch in the works? I wrote out the recipe by hand so I can make it tomorrow for Rosh HaShannah. I hope this will be fixed. Thanks for the Holiday recipes.

Yvonne, I’ll try to figure out what’s up with your technical glitch. And you’re welcome! Happy new year! – PJH

12. eliyah

I love this recipe! First time ever commenting here…I found your site on the back of the flour bag….I truly LOVE King Arthurs flour. I am not Jewish, I am a Christian but I bake challah every friday night for sabbath dinner. As a family we follow the Holy days in the bible too….and I always bake challah with fruit. My recipe is one that I came up with myself and it includes cranberries and walnuts with honey and sugar used….it is DELICIOUS! I love this idea of using apples and I am going to add walnuts to it. I love nuts in my challah, especially with your flour…the combo is awesome.
    Challah is one of the most comforting foods….it truly is a wonderful family tradition.
    Thanks again.
    Eliyah
    Mississippi

13. Christian Carter

I made this yesterday with KAF Bread Flour, and it worked out just fine, however I did have to add more water, and it didn’t have quite the right texture, but it was still extremely delicious! I also threw in a spice mix I have called “Apple Pie Spice” when coating the apples, and it was really good!

14. Carol Macri

made this yesterday with bread flour but it came out very dry around the edges so we are eating just the middle part. I did test it along the way to make sure it wasn’t getting overcooked. I think it needs lots more apples too. I used four apples and it still doesn’t seem enough.

Hi Carol – Probably the bread flour made the dough too dry; try all-purpose next time, or add an additional 2 tablespoons oil or water to the dough. And if you can cram more apples into it – go for it! Enjoy – PJH

15. Marj

Hi PJ, I’ve made different versions of cranberry harvest breads but are not perfect. I am still on a quest to make a perfect harvest loaf with nuts and fruits! Will definitely try this “challah challenge” this coming weekend and will blog the result. Thanks !! :)

Marj, are you looking for a dense-type yeast bread (which is our No-Knead Harvest Bread), or a lighter, more tender bread? – PJH

16. GregoryK

I tired it and I liked it!!!! And the rest of the family, too. Even though the Challah came out at 10 pm. The best of the best was placing the pieces in the pan and having things fall out. What I also loved was the kitcho…diplo-matic immunity: my wife couldn’t criticize my messiness because it said so in the directions! I do agree with Carol Macri. I used two and half apples, but I will try four next time; maybe putting some of the apples first on the bottom of the pan. Most of the apples were pushed up with the rise; a little top-heavy Since I am somewhat new to baking yeast bread, I have a couple of questions.

1. What would be the effects of using apple juice or cider instead of the 4 ounces of water? What about soaking -not drenching- the apples in some rum before covering them with the sugar and cinnamon? Would the alcohol ruin the rise?

2. What other fruits would be compatible with this loaf? I assume pears would do, but I have no experience with other fruits or berries. (I would hate to go through 3 hours of rising just to have the loaf not turn out.)

Thanks for your time and the great recipe.

Hi Gregory: Apple juice/cider would slow down the rise, due to the sweetness. However, you could use it if you cut back on the honey some – maybe by half? And then if the dough is too dry, add a bit of water. And soaking the apples would be fine, although they might exude some of the alcohol back into the dough if you soaked too long. Which wouldn’t hurt its rise – it would just make it wetter. Not sure how it would bake. But just sprinkling with rum would be fine, I’d bet.

Other fruits -I think Italian plums would be outstanding. As would pears. Other fruits…. maybe not. I really think you need a pretty firm fruit here, one that stands up well to both handling and baking. Perhaps peaches…

Hey, have fun with this- PJH

17. Marj

Hi PJ,

Like the one in the KA cataloge, that is a perfect picture of a Harvest bread! Probably a lighter and more dense bread like the ones that sold in Whole Food (in little rolls also – 79 cents for a little one ?). I’m not sure if they are made by Eli in NY. It is crusty and the bread is soft and flavorful with nuts and fruits. If you can show us how to make the one shown in the cataloge that will be great for this time of the year ! Fall just warms our heart! Thanks!! Marj

18. Helena

I made this today for my family’s Rosh Hashanah gathering at it was a HUGE hit! It looked beautiful and tasted so yummy! I am going to make it every year. I didn’t have a 9″ deep pan, so I used a bunt pan. Also, I ran out of time and didn’t let it rise the extra hour in the bread machine, but it still turned out great.

19. Michelle

My mom made this recipe to serve at Rosh Hashanah dinner last night but it never made it to the table. We all wanted a taste of it before dinner and then couldn’t stop eating it. She is going to make it again next week for Yom Kippur to bring to my aunt’s house to break the fast.

My sister also made the raisin version which was also very good! I guess it is my turn to make the plain verison…

20. Andrea B

I was intrigued by your mention of whole wheat pastry flour and wonder how much I would use in this recipe? Is it a one for one substitution? Thanks!
    That recipe, Millie’s Whole Wheat Challah, is on our web site. It calls for 2 cups of bread flour and 2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour. Happy Baking! Molly, King Arthur Flour Baker

21. Autumn

I love all things dough and this did not disappoint. Oh. My. Goodness. Fresh local honey drizzled over the top of the warm challah made it out of this world!

22. Cindy

Loved the Challah, however, the bread did not bake totally in the center. That did not stop us from eating it! As we live at 6,000 feet I raised the temperature by 25 degrees. What should the internal temperature of a baked good like Challah be? That may help to bake the perfect Challah. Thanks.

Hi Cindy – this is a fairly dense bread and also fairly wide, so the center is a long way from the edges – all to help explain the fact that it can be a challenge to bake in this round form. if you stick an instant-read thermometer into the center,and don’t hit an apple, the temp. should be a minimum of 190°F. Good luck – PJH

23. Linda

Regarding the comment about the rum… one variation I have done with challah (that came about years ago when my father was ill and couldn’t drink alcohol but loved whisky) is soak raisins in whisky before baking.
    Yes, some of the alcohol would seep into the challah (some on purpose as I would dribble some of the whiskey in), but although the alcohol basically cooked out (no one was getting drunk over the challah!) it did have some of the flavor, especially in the swirled part where the raisins were (I didn’t knead them through, but pressed them into the rectangle of dough, rolled up and shaped into the swirled crown shape. I never got a complaint from it either!

I may have to try this apple version, maybe tomorrow when I make Yom Kippur challah (as I won’t have time that day!)

Thank you for the idea!

Wow, Linda, sounds yummy. I’d like to soak raisins in rum, too; and it would surely keep them moist. Thanks for the idea- PJH

Linda

24. HMB

What a beautiful bread! This will also be nice for Sukkot, which is coming up soon. Despite what the blog says, I didn’t think it was messy to prepare, so if anyone is holding back for fear of making a mess, don’t let that stop you.

25. Lee

After reading about this Challah I went and looked for it in the KA Whole Grain cookbook. I’ve made that recipe twice now in the last week and it has come out great both times! So light and fluffy and since I knew to look for it I also noticed it was “stringy” ! :) First time I used soft wheat (pastry flour) and the second time I used spelt. Both worked equally well. So my advice to those wanting whole grains in their challah is to go for it!

26. Renee

I made two pans of this bread on Friday. One made it to the freezer, but the other was gone by Sunday when I did another two pans. Because I was using apples from our trees, I had to peel them to be sure there were no bugs lurking under the surface. I used four small apples for each pan. I may have to make it again. My husband pronounced it “excellent.” I’ve put apples in challahs before, but always by placing them in three pieces of dough, then making a braid. I like this recipe more — it’s messy, but less fuss.

27. Joyce

I am about to make this apple challah recipe; it looks beautiful. I am a prolific baker and love your Bakers’ Banter blog. I am so happy that you have created a Jewish recipe category. I will definitely turn to it often. In fact, it will probably be my goal to try all that you list. Thank you!

28. CribbageWitch

Question?? Could this be done in a tube pan so that a decoration might be added in the middle hole?? What would be the baking modifications for that pan??

You may bake this in a tube pan. Use the same temperature and about the same time. Just look for an internal temperature of 190 degrees. I must admitt for many years I only used a tube pan to bake almost everything. I really like the way the finished item looks. Joan @ the baker’s hot line

29. Marcy

Can’t wait to try this recipe, it just looks divine! THe only ingredien I don’t have in stock would be the sugar, but I”m sure i’ll find something to use. What type of apples has everyone used? My favorite is Jona-golds. Mary @ King Arthur Flour

30. skeptic

I made this with King Arthur Traditional whole wheat flour, and two Northern Spy apples. I didn’t use all the flour even after adding two tablespoons of water. The apples were peeled before being cut up, and the ones in the middle of the bread disappeared during baking. The bread was surprisingly light and high and fluffy and good.
    I have friends who are diabetic. What do you think this would taste like if I omitted both honey and sugar?

Well, you could leave out the sugar to sweeten the apples, but the honey really plays a big part in the flavor of the bread. You can give it a try, and let us know how it turns out, but another recipe might be more appropriate.

Happy Baking!
    MaryJane @ The Baker’s Hotline

31. CribbageWitch

I made this for my husband’s Family Reunion last weekend and it truly flew off the table. Even one of the relatives, a fine Jewish lady, was impressed. I will make it again for this reunion. When we find a recipe that everyone loves, it tends to become “tradition”. Thanks for this cloud-light bit of sweetness.

32. William Lundy

I was inspired to make this the day I saw it. Fabuloso! Almost all of it disappeared within two hours of coming out of the oven: daughter and grand-daughter scooped some, and we (2) ate most of the rest. There was a (small)bit left over the next morning, not quite as good as fresh from the oven, but still heavenly. Now to try this with other fall fruits, and again next summer when the fresh wild blueberries and huckleberries are in season.

33. skeptic

Sugarless version works fine. I put in 6 tablespoons of water instead of the honey. It didn’t rise as well as the version with honey and sugar, but I think that was because I tried to do the final rise for 12 hours in a cool damp environment instead of at room temperature.
    I am going to try this again being more careful with the last proofing.

34. ashley

This looks delicious. If I assemble it ahead of time, could I stick it in the fridge for the second rise and bake it the next morning?

Haven’t tried that, Ashley, but it should work – leave time the next morning for the dough to come to room temperature, probably a couple of hours. PJH

35. Dwight

What kind of apples are you using pictured here in the blog?

Dwight, I like either Granny Smith, as they’re available year-round; or Ginger Gold, when I can get them for a short time each fall. PJH

36. skeptic7

Finally. After making this bread five times, 2 times with honey and sugar, and 3 times without any sugar or honey and all five times as a completely whole wheat bread, I have achieved success. It was light and fluffy and tasty and just wonderful. I am boasting about it to everyone.
    This is a completely sugarless and honeyless version, with all King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat flour, and not a drop of gluten or bread flour.
    I started out with 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and 3/4 cup water as a soaker and left it for a couple of hours.
    I then beat the eggs and oil together, and then mixed in the soaker. After that was thoroughly blended, I added the remaining flour. I then disolved 2 teaspoons of yeast in 2 tablespoons of warm water, let that sit until bubbly and stirred it in.
    I then left the dough to rise for half an hour or so until double, kneaded it and let rise again. Then I cut up the apples, sprinkled with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and proceeded with the recipe. After the bread and apples were in the pan it was allowed to rise for several hours. I used a solid cake pan so placed it in a cake carrier with some warm water.

37. YoSandy

Not reall Challah………………..
    Looks really, really good but it’s not Challah. Challah is braided and your recipe is not. While there is no law that Challah is braided take a look anyplace in the internet and there are a couple of reasons this is so. I really appreciate all of the comments on this bread and I will make it tomorrow as it sounds great but I really wouldn’t call it “Challah”.

I have to disagree here – challah isn’t always braided, in fact – it’s sometimes made into a spiral, to represent the continuity of life. Halley, our Web director, is Jewish, and she backs me up on this. And yes, however it’s shaped – it’s very tasty! PJH

38. Harvey S. Cohen

I make an excellent classic 6-strand challah, but I prefer to use butter instead of oil unless I really need to keep it parve (kosher term for non-dairy non-meat). I’ve made this apple challah several times, and it’s always been wonderful (and really easy!), but I’ve always used safflower oil. Any reason not to use butter?
    Last time I made the apple challah, I sprinkled heavily with turbinado (not white) sugar. I think the color looks better, and the taste was great.

The oil and egg combination makes a more tender texture for this challah recipe. Using butter will give great flavor, but may change the texture. Let us know your results if you decide to try it! Irene @ KAF

39. soccerfreak07843

This was fabulous. I couldn’t stop eating it. I used twice the cinnamon and sugar, and it was perfect. I loved the dough recipe so much, I’m trying to find other ways to use it.

You’re right, this is a lovely dough for any kind of sweet breads – cinnamon rolls, sticky buns, etc. Glad you like it! PJH

40. bstrnad

I made this recipe for a pot luck that had an apple theme and it looked and tasted wonderful. I used only 8 pieces of dough instead of the recommended 16 and baked it in an angle food cake pan. It looked lovely when it came out of the pan. I didn’t have time to wait on all the risings as instructed in the recipe so I made the dough the night before. Turned my oven onto warm and let it heat up. I mixed the dough and when the oven reached warm I turned it off. After mixing the dough I popped the bowl into the oven and left it there over night. The next morning I got up early mixed my apples into the dough and made the loaf as instructed. I let it rise for about an hour and a half. Then baked it. By noon I had a lovely bread to take with me. I often wonder why people continue to believe that baking takes too much time. All that rising time gives me a chance to do other things.

When I mixed my dough it was very hard. I don’t have a mixer and so do all the kneading by hand and suspect that I may not be kneading it long enough. But it was not at all soft and supple as shown in the pictures. The long rising time I gave it may have taken care of any of the problems I might have had with the dough. All-in-all this recipe is another winner.

41. Mrs.Mike

I am hunting for yummy recipes to feed my lactose and gluten intolerant friend. This passes the lactose piece, could I make it with “gluten-free” flour?
    We haven’t tested this recipe with gluten free flour. You may want to check out our tips at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/glutenfree before setting out to make the Challah as a GF recipe. ~ MaryJane