Cinnamon streusel coffeecake: The $7.22 bailout

Hard times demand hard solutions. And I’m not talking any $750 billion bailout. For the price of just about 2 gallons of gas, you can bake a big, warm, cinnamon-y coffeecake, a slab o’ happiness that’s guaranteed to take everyone’s mind off of Wall Street AND Main Street, and focus it instead on something a lot more palatable: comfort food.

If we were ever in need of comfort food, now’s the time. I saw a bumper sticker recently that absolutely cracked me up: Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going? “How can you laugh about all this?”, you say. Prices continue to rise, jobs are evaporating along with our 401Ks, and no one seems to have a clue—including our government experts—what the future will bring.

Which makes this the perfect time to laugh. Unless you’re reading this, Ben Bernanke, none of us can influence what’s happening in the global economy; we’re just along for the bumpy ride. So while the world shudders, let’s all “brighten the corner where you are,” as my first-grade teacher used to say. To me, that means the simple pleasure of a hot-from-the-oven treat, shared with those around me: friends, family, and colleagues.

We may be in the handbasket right now. But I don’t believe the destination typical of handbaskets will be ours. America is strong, tough, and resilient. In time, we’ll ride this storm to calmer waters, to a new, different, and hopefully better society. And in the meantime, I intend to enjoy homemade bread, muffins, cookies, pizza, cake… and a warm square of Cinnamon Streusel Coffeecake.

img_8569.JPG

Let’s begin by making the filling and the topping. That way they’ll be ready to use ounce the cake batter is mixed up. For the filling, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and a touch of cocoa powder (for color); I simply shake everything up in a plastic container. For the topping, we’ll stir together sugar, salt, flour, and cinnamon, then add butter till the mixture becomes unevenly clumpy (above). Set both filling and topping aside while you make the cake batter.

img_8496.JPG

Combine butter, salt, sugars, baking powder, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl

img_8497.JPG

Mix till fairly smooth.

img_8498.JPG

Beat in the eggs; look how the batter smooths out.

img_0497.JPG

Add the flour alternately with the sour cream/milk mixture, beating gently to make a smooth, thick batter.

img_8570.JPG

Spoon half the batter (about 28 ounces) into a 9” x 13” pan, and smooth it out with a spatula.

img_8500.JPG

Sprinkle with the filling…

img_8571.JPG

…then shake the pan to distribute the filling evenly across the batter.

img_8572.JPG

Spoon on the rest of the batter, and smooth it with a spatula dipped in water.

img_8608.JPG

Use a table knife to gently swirl the filling into the batter.

img_0503.JPG

Then sprinkle with the topping, again shaking the pan to distribute.

img_0504.JPG

Bake till the cake is golden brown all over, with no light spots. This is important; since this is a rather large cake, you need to bake it thoroughly to be sure the center is done, as well as the edges. Don’t go crazy; just make sure it’s a rich brown, not light/barely brown.

img_8615.JPG

Imagine this cake warm from the oven. Imagine the aroma of cinnamon filling your kitchen. Kind of makes you wish it was Sunday morning every day, eh?

img_0546.JPG

P.S. I baked this cake and brought it on a group vacation. Eleven days (and 450 miles) later, here’s the little piece that was left: unbelievably, still fresh and tasty.

Read, review, and rate (please!) our recipe for King Arthur Guaranteed Cinnamon Streusel Coffeecake.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Boston Coffee Cake cinnamon-walnut coffeecake, 1 1/2-lb. cake, $6.99, 29¢/ounce

Bake at home: Cinnamon-Streusel Coffeecake, 5 1/4-lb. cake, $7.22, 9¢/ounce

P.S. YEE-HAW! This is my 100th post since we started this blog last Christmas. I haven’t had so much fun since Hector was a pup…

comments

1. Cindy

This looks so good, but it needs some walnuts or pecans!
    If I make half a recipe and bake in an 8inch square pan, how long should I bake it? It will probably take about 50 minutes in a 8 inch square pan. Mary at King Arthur Flour

2. Lindy

Oh me, oh my. My salivary glands have exploded just looking at the photos. I want to leave work early and start baking this!

3. cindy leigh

This looks great!
    Can you give me some suggestions for lowering fat and sugar and increasing fiber? I can’t use butter or Crisco.
    Can I substitute Safflower oil for butter? Oil will make a denser product. You could try adding 1/4 cup of apple sauce and 1/2 cup of oil for the butter in the cake, but it will change the texture and taste quite a bit.
    CAn I use part white whole wheat? And maybe put some oatmeal flakes in the strussel topping? These substitutions /additions should work . You may need a bit more liquid with the whole wheat flour.
    Subsititute half the sugar with splenda? I’m not sure this would work in every place there is sugar. These changes one at a time might work, but I’m really not sure about doing all of them, try them and let us know how it comes out. Of course it’s not the guaranteed recipe anymore.
    Many Thanks!
    Mary @ King Arthur Flour

4. HoneyB

Looks totally delicious – would be a great thing to bring to work and share with our coffee! :) You’d be very popular! Mary @ king Arthur flour

5. Mike T.

Mmmm, I’ve got a sour cream recipe, but seldom have the sc when I want to make it, so this is a must for me to try!

6. Sue

I made a sour cream coffee cake two weekends ago! Comfort food is indeed the thing right now. Pecans are a nice addition.

7. Elizabeth

I’ve always baked instead of buying (mostly because I love baking); now that it’s becoming an “economically sound” practice, my friends are calling me to ask for recipes.
    Don’t be surprised if this blog suddenly has more traffic!
    Thanks for this, and thanks for the breakdown of the cost-per-serving. I love knowing that information!

8. sandrajean

“I haven’t had so much fun since Hector was a pup”

I haven’t heard that expression since I moved from Cambridge MA to northern VA. I laughed when I read it. Thanks!!!

How about “He’s got more problems than Carter has little liver pills”? I’m from the South Shore, must be a local thing… PJH

9. Hildie

Could you make these as individual muffins?

Don’t see why not, Hildie – I’d bake them at the same temp. as the cake for about 25 minutes, maybe? It’ll probably make 2 dozen, I’m guessing… PJH

10. Linda

Coffeecake is always a great comfort food–especially on Mondays and Fridays. For some reason people always seem to need more comfort on those days. This one sounds like it hits all the right notes and would be well-received be it the office crowd or friends over for brunch on the weekend. Thanks for another terrific recipe! I think KA Flour is comfort. With one exception (KA cake flour isn’t locally available and I rarely use it to order enough) I refuse to use any other flour and I argue with anyone who asks why my baked goods are so much better…it’s all about ingredients…with KA flour at the top of the list! Thanks for such a wonderful and consistent product. In all this chaos–it’s nice to have something to depend on to be consistent!!

11. lizzieboone

Could this be adapted to make individual muffins? Maybe use a scoop to proportion it? What would be an estimate for baking time?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, try baking them at the same temp. as the cake for about 25 minutes, maybe? You’ll probably get about 2 dozen, I’m guessing… PJH

12. Barb

Congratulations on your 100th post! That is fantastic and may there be 100 x100 more!!! I love this blog and love King Arthur! Thanks for sharing all of this with the rest of us.

13. MrsM

PJ, I just may have to break my diet to try this, it looks scrumptious! I love the idea of a little cocoa in the filling. I have not baked one thing since mid July, and I am dying for something!!! A crumb topping is way too tempting.

I know nothing about Hector as a puppy, but I have heard the Carter has liver pills saying, LOL, here in NJ.

14. Terri

This looks so good, I can almost smell it! I’ll probably eat half the pan if/when I make it.

Mary, thanks for your help the other day with cinnamon puffs – they came out great and everyone raved about them!

15. cw

Thanks for the recipe, it looks wonderful! ‘ can’t wait to try it, and more importantly, can’t wait to share it with family and friends.

16. Ivy

Just posted on the challah recipe, now that I have made dozens of challahs and “Grandma Hannah’s yeast cake” to give to family members, I think I will make this as a nice change of pace. As for the quotes, I have never heard the Hector was a pup, however, Carter’s liver pills (and Carter’s votes) I have heard. Thanks for a good chuckle. btw: I have been baking up a storm – not only for the comfort of the food, but.. the warming of the house during 2 nights of frost, we are NOT turning on the heat for another month, no matter HOW cold it gets! As a country, I know we will get by, just please, check on any elderly neighbors, make sure that they are warm, fed, etc. It only takes a few minutes to do and can make a world of difference. (Bring over a cake! :-D)

Peace.

17. Anna Kentish McNabb

I was amazed at your heading stating, that together we will all get through this difficult time in the country. You have my vote! No other company that I know of has commented on the situation in such a positive way.

Perhaps you should send this to the politicians, congress etc., and underline TOGETHER.

You have a wonderful product and I buy your products at the supermarket all the time.

18. Suzanne

OK now we’re throwing down the towel; how about “I could eat this till the cows came home!” The recipe was delicious, as usual. Another winner!

19. Penny Novy

How about adding thinly sliced apples (I prefer Jonathans) on the first layer just before adding the filling? Yum!! Perfect fall breakfast!!

20. Louisa

Would pecans go in the streusel topping or the cake?

Put the pecans in the streusel topping, Louisa – they’ll get nice and crisp. PJH

21. Kimberly

That brings back memories PJ, my dear sweet departed mother use to say that! And she was born and raised in Michigan, never lived out of state.

I enjoy all the recipes you do. Wish I lived closer so someone could teach me how to make bread! I only ever made it in a bread maker, which I don’t have anymore. I would love to know how to make it by hand.

Anyways here is my question….could I put raisins in it? Would I have to bake it longer?

Kimberly, the batter is stiff, so raisins would be fine – I don’t believe they’d sink down in the batter. Maybe sprinkle them on top of the filling before adding the second layer of batter? Sounds yummy! – PJH

22. J.B. Bulharowski

Who is Hector(?) – all the other stuff I’m familiar with; being a child of the “Great Depression.” But hear, hear, to the sentiments, I’ve read expressed herein. Maybe we can hope some of our younger “adults” might learn to eat/bake something other than “the nothin says lovin like something from the oven” mixes.

Heck, I never did know who Hector was… But this is from randomhouse.com:

“It’s all but certain that the phrase since Hector was a pup refers to the Hector of mythology, although it’s officially classed as “American; origin uncertain.” One source says that the expression might have become popularized in the 1920s when a lot of boys studied Greek and had dogs named Hector, but it’s more likely that the expression is older, and that both it and the dog-naming fad relate to the story told by Euripides: Hector’s mother, Hecuba, got turned into a dog for killing the murderer of her older son, Polydorus, so Hector by extension was a dog’s son–a pup.

“The expression belongs to the same category as ‘the last time I heard that, I fell off my dinosaur and broke my wooden underwear’, but it sounds classier.”

So, now you know more than you ever wanted to know about Hector- PJH

23. Alvara

PJ, Congratulations on your 100th post! They are wonderful. I think I have read everyone of them. Please, please don’t get tired of doing them. I have been baking every one lately. Lucky for me, I have children and grands to help me eat all this bread and cake. I will go out tomorrow to buy sour cream to make this cake. Cinnamon cake is one of our favorites. Happy baking.

Thanks, Alvara, and glad you’re enjoying it as much as I am! – PJH

24. Julia

When sprinkling on streusel toppings, I always spoon the streusel
    around the perimeter first. Somehow the corners always get
    missed when I start by dumping the streusel in the middle and
    spreading it out.

The recipe looks yummy though I’ll probably substitute buttermilk
    for the sour cream to make the cake a little lighter.

25. Louisa

Pulled the cake out of the oven twenty minutes ago … now to have a slice. It smells wonderful. I forgot to put the pecans in the topping, but I doubt that I’ll miss them. Thanks for the recipe and great pix!

26. Ingrid

You’re keeping me up tonight. I was on my way to bed early tonight when I stopped to check my email and found your wonderful message, and went straight to the blog (for the 1st time). Your 100th, my first. Thank you for the message. I think we all can use a little encouragement and comradary these days and for sure comfort foods.

This coffee cake looks so yummy I feel like Pavlov’s dog salivating at the sight of it. I am anxious to bake this; I know it will be good because all other KA’s recipes I have used come out great. Nighty night & sweet dreams.

27. Dorothy Sieradzki

Your subject line, “we’re all in this together” also caught my eye. No other company I receive email from mentioned the current crisis. I love the step by step directions with pictures. You know you have a strong following…I’ve never seen so many comments on a blog. Keep up the good work!

28. jrebeccat

What great timing! I was looking for something to serve at book club this Sunday. This will be perfect. This was probably the best coffeecake I have ever had. One of the benefits of working here is we get to try recipes! I made this with sour cream and in a 9″x13″ pan. It is a lot of coffeecake and perfect for a crowd. Enjoy. Elisabeth @ The Baker’s Hotline

29. Mr. Mike

If I use an instant read thermometer to check for doneness, what temperature should the center of the cake read? Hello Michael – It should be done if your thermometer reads about 209 degrees. You may also use the toothpick method being sure to stick it in the highest point of the cake. The edges should be golden brown and starting to pull away from the pan. Enjoy! Elisabeth @ The Baker’s Hotline

30. Joni M

Whoa, my mouth is watering for this one too!!! I adore this site and thank you so much for all the great recipes I’m repeating over and over again! I missed my calling I think–I should have gone to culinary school, or wish I lived close enough to work there…but since I’m on the downward side of the hill, I think I’ll just keep enjoying creating all of your fine recipes in my own kitchen! Love the recipes, and love the blog–thank you so much from one foodie to all the others! Hello Joni – Thank you for visiting our site and for all the great feedback! Elisabeth @ The Baker’s Hotline

31. Terri

I just wanted to say Thank you to King Arthur Flour for showing that their are real people behind this brand experiencing and living in the same world that we are. And Oh Yeah, I am definitely going to try this recipe. I think that I will bring it to work and share it with other.

32. Arloa Dahl

This recipe looks great for the mornings I help serve after church coffee.Different families do this each Sunday on a volunteer basis. I am always looking for a new recipe.This sounds like it would be a nice moist coffee cake. Can’t wait to try it.

33. Sue E. Conrad

Three cheers for the sentiments expressed in your 100th blog!!! Couldn’t agree more!! Also, here’s another one of those “old-timey” sayings – “first time I heard that, I kicked the slats out of my cradle”. As for cinnamon-streusel cake, I make one that I downloaded off the K.A. website a few years ago – Sour Cream Coffeecake from the King Arthur Flour Bag. Always a big hit whenever I make it.

Our daughter Stephanie will be stopping by the K.A. store this weekend on her way to New Hampshire. Also, one of her Christmas requests is a K.A. gift certificate……..and I’m pretty darned sure she’ll get one!

Thanks again, P.J., for all the great recipes and the blogs – long may they continue!!

34. Sarah

This is just the recipe I’ve been waiting for! Although I love nuts, one of my kids doesn’t and boy do we love cinnamon breakfast treats. What about using buttermilk or yogurt, which I’m more likely to have on hand, in place of the sour cream?

Congratulations on the 100th post. I really love the blog, especially the ‘bake vs. buy’ feature.

Sarah, yogurt would definitely work, and I believe buttermilk would be just fine, too – PJH

35. AJ Quigley

This is wonderful! I’d lost my old recipe but it was for a 8X8 pan and I
    always doubled it for a 9X13. Smaller batches just weren’t enough.
    I have done it with a thin layer of applesauce under the filling and, yes, it’s pretty good. Just make it once and play with ideas for your next
    ones…yes you WILL make more!

36. Mary McM.

Thanks to everyone at KA for the comforting, hopeful, & above all practical message. The spirit of 1776 is still alive & well in New England!
    Speaking of practical, I have some KA cinnamon filling. Would that work as filling in this recipe?

You betcha, Mary – perfect use for that lovely ooey-gooey cinnamon filling… PJH

37. Andrea

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous that this coffee cake tastes so great. :) What I find ironic is that people, in harder economic times, go back to eating “home cooking”, which is incidentally much better for us, and during prosperous times, go back to the premade garbage that is sold. I’m not above using a mix for brownies or cake from time to time, or even eating hamburger helper occasionally, but sheesh. Being a SAHM, grad student, and CFO (chief family officer) has taught me a lot already – my husband has learned the value of having me at home, the value of paying a bit more occasionally for better ingredients, and we’ve both come to appreciate the little things in life….like utterly fabulous, homemade coffeecake. :)

I have to admit, I too was glad to see the subject heading. Most other companies are just responding to this whole economic kerfuffle by issuing more coupons for their products in higher amounts. I won’t say that I don’t appreciate that, but I highly doubt the CEO of Kellogg’s is going to say, “Yeah…we’re feeling the pinch too! We understand.”

I just really wish my local Sentry would drop their distributor that gets them KA flour. It is still $7.95 a bag there! Absolutely ridiculous, the greed that exudes from that company. And I’ve called Sentry, spoken with managers, encouraged them to call KAF directly. No change yet. *sigh* I’ve just stopped shopping at that store altogether.

I’ll just order direct instead. ;)

38. Andrea

We also like a sour cream coffee cake, but have never done the extra layer of cinnamon streusel in the middle. Looks yummy! And congratulations on your 100th post.

39. Weaver

Oh. My. Goodness!!! Amazing! this coffee cake is way too yummy! I put part of it in the freezer already just so I wouldn’t eat every single crumb tonight! Thank you for the recipe that I’ve always been searching for but had never found. I’m going to store it, copy it and file it everywhere I can possible think of to make sure that I never lose it. Would tattooing it on my husband’s back be overkill? :) Wow! I guess this was a winner. Enjoy! Elisabeth @ King Arthur Flour

40. Kathryn Henry

Congrats on the 100th!! Since I found the Blog, my day isn’t complete until I check out the changes. This recipe is terrific. I made it exactly as listed and it was perfect. I tend to tweak recipes and my husband calls them “Kathy Ventions.” Most turn out well and some, well we just don’t go there. We are an older couple, bordering on ancient, and find that most recipes are too large for us and I try to either cut the recipes in half or sometimes in thirds. It would be nice to see more recipes that can be easily made for singles and couples. I also think your addition of the cost comparison information is terrific. Keep up the good work. KAF is the only flour that I have used since I found you.

41. Judy G

The taste of this coffee cake is fabulous. It has a strong cinnamon flavor and the topping is very crispy. It cuts well and went over at both of my offices very well. My cake came out like the one in the picture. The batter is fairly thick so I did not find that it “swirled” very well. I would say “who cares” when it is in your mouth. :-)

42. Marliss

Is it possible to freeze this coffee cake after baking? I would like to make it in two pans and have one for now and one for later. How would be the best way to “unfreeze” it? Would letting it set out on the counter overnight (my usual method with breads) work? Yes this will work nicely. Joan at the baker’s hot line

43. Terry

Just baked this and waiting till my wife gets home to try it. Looks great though!

I chuckled when I saw “since Hector was a pup” too. How about “Taint funny McGee”. Sayings that you don’t hear anymore.

44. Renee C

As someone who does not follow the rules, I was really pleased with the recipe…I used milk soured with fresh organic lemon juice, added lots of vanilla everywhere, mixed in a food processor, and baked in 2 glass pans…and made no adjustments for high altitude (I’m at 7,000 feet), and the cakes are beautiful, really moist and fresh 3 days later, sitting on the counter. It’s really nice to have KAF flour in our local groucery stores, too.

45. Kimberly

In the filling you call for brown sugar, can you use dark brown sugar? Or do you recommend light brown sugar?

Either is fine, Kimberly – depends on your taste preference. PJH

46. Pamela M

I made this 2 days ago, but with a few substitutions out of necessity. I was half a cup short of light brown sugar; so I subbed 1/2 cup of raw (turbinado) sugar for brown sugar in the filling. I only had KAF white whole wheat flour at home; so I substituted that 1 to 1 for the AP flour.

The end result was delicious, if only a bit denser/heavier rather than the fine-crumbed, lighter-textured cake in the picture. I suspect this was due to the flour. I will definitely try making this again with the AP flour as my co-workers completely devoured it.

47. Autumn

I screwed up a little. Forgot to add the brown sugar to the cake batter. I must’ve thought it was the filling since it was premeasured and right next to my mixer. By the time I realized it, the first layer was in the pan. There was so much sugar in the rest of the cake that I didn’t think it’d be that big of a deal. Because of the comments on the recipe link, I added a bit more water to the topping.

Final verdict? Two thumbs up from my husband, 7 yr old, 4 yr old & 2 yr old. :)

48. Casey

Got up at 5:30 this morning to bake this and tote it into work with me to share with
    my two employees. Yes, it’s Friday, needed a pick me up because business has
    been sooooooooo slow. Awesome cake. Top was unexpectedly crunchy which we all loved (crunch may be due to the fact that my oven’s heating unit is on the “ceiling” of the oven). I used non fat yogurt, baked in 2 9″ pans so one can be tucked in the freezer, or maybe if hubby does all his chores, I’ll let him know I baked. Seems all the baking I’ve done in the past 4-5 months has been from KAF
    Bakers Banter. Way to go PJ!

49. Sharon

Love,Love,Love receiving the emails and the catalogue. I’m never disappointed always inspired. After reading the blurb we’re all in this together and the contents of the message, I couldn’t agree more…when times get tough doing something to take your mind and cares away is the best medicine and unfortunately food is a delicious comfort. I think that I might purchase some stock in Weight Watchers, after I eat my way thru this economic crisis,with KAF help.. I’ll need to join,I’ll increase my stocks value and I’ll stand to make some money! I believe this might be a win-win situation. Keep on doing what your doing, it’s wonderful.By the way, the cake was sinfully scrumptious.

50. Angela

This cake was a hit yesterday at church! I t was so good and the first coffee cake that I have ever made that did well. Thank you! One question, would this work well for freezing? I just love this blog!

Angela in VA

Hello Angela – We love to hear that! I had someone else ask the same question. They wanted to bake one and freeze the other. You could freeze it unbaked, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then bake. Or bake straight out of the freezer, increasing the bake time by at least 15 minutes. Watch it carefully. And of course, you may bake first and then freeze. Wrap in foil and then place into a freezer zip lock bag. To serve, simply defrost. Or serve it warm by keeping it in its foil wrap and placing it in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Elisabeth @ King Arthur Flour

51. Glenn

I’ve never been happy with crumb cake recipes. They are plagued with being: not rich enough, not enough filling, not a good topping, etc. but that was NOT a problem with this one. Made this twice over the weekend. Took the first one to work with me Friday and it was essentially gone before lunch time. Made the second one Sunday and distributed it to friends / family. Will make a third one before the week is out. It is THE BEST Crumb Cake I’ve ever tasted or made. Thank you for yet another KAF Guaranteed recipe.

And thanks for your enthusiasm, Glenn. Bakers love happy eaters, right? :) PJH

52. Audrey

Yes! This cake was so big that I thought I should give a bunch away. WRONG!! My family ate it all this weekend. Thanks for the great recipe!!!

53. catherine

This cake was great, but is the topping supposed to be crunchy? I would have liked it more if the streusel was softer. Would it be better to add more water or butter to soften it? Thanks so much!

Water has been eliminated from the recipe… PJH

54. Lindy

I finally got around to making this coffee cake today. First coffee cake I’ve baked and it was quite terrific. So good, in fact, there’s only one small section left. My family loved it.

I did make one mistake: I should have weighed my batter before dividing it. I poured out 28 ounces (I always scale) then added the filling. There wasn’t enough remaining batter to easily cover the filling so I couldn’t really achieve a light hand with the swirls and wound up with the filling mixed throughout the cake, rather than gently layered. As I used Saigon cinnamon, there were some spots in the cake which gave quite the taste explosion!

Since practice makes perfect, I’ll definitely bake this again. Thanks for the comfort and the recipe.

55. Carmel

PJ, I tried this but with frozen blueberries instead of the brown sugar in the middle. It’s amazing! I’ve tried other fruits since then but blueberries are my favorite.

Also, I made it in a springform pan–just looks nicer.

56. Judy Foster

I would like to serve this coffeecake on Christmas morning. Would it work to make it the night before, refrigerate overnight, and bake in the morning? Any temp or time adjustments? Thanks ! We have not tested this one as an overnight recipe. But we have tested this one: No-Fuss Overnight Coffeecake.

Judy, I think it would be just fine to bake in the morning. Or, if you bake the night before, simply reheat in a 350°F oven, covered with foil, for about 15 minutes. Much faster. PJH

57. Kristine

I wanted to make this cinnamon streusel coffeecake. I dont have sourcream on hand and wanted to make this today. Can I subsitute anything for it? I dont have buttermilk or yogurt either.
    Hi Kristine,
    Hmmmm, without sour cream or yogurt the cake’s texture and tenderness won’t be the same. Probably best to save this recipe for another day to get best results. ~ MaryJane

58. Merebeth Scott

I’m anxious to try the coffee cake recipe! I live in Aurora, Colorado; should I follow high altitude recipe adjustments? Also, do you think this recipe would work in a bundt-type pan?

Hi Merebeth – Please take a look at our high altitude baking adjustments. And yes, I think it would work well in a bundt-style pan – I’d be guessing at size, but don’t fill it any more than about 2/3 full. Maybe a 9 1/2″ to 10? pan? 10- to 12-cup? Good luck – PJH

59. Kathy

I made this coffee cake last evening; covered it with foil, and baked it this morning before I came to work. It is very good and my co-workers are very pleased with the results. It is a keeper!

60. Teresa

I need to make a breakfast treat to take to a meeting at work.I want to make this cake in the round paper bakers I have on hand (no clean up required). Do I need to adjust the recipe? Will it work?

Don’t know, Teresa. What size are the bakers? It’ll work, I’m sure, but you’ll need to adjust the time, and may not be able to add that center layer easily if the bakers are too shallow… PJH

61. Bob Marra

Getting ready to make this cake. I was a little concerned about how crunchy the topping is. The answer from Molly was “Hi Catherine, Glad you liked the cake. Eliminating the water in the streusel will make it softer. Molly, KAF baker.” What water? There is non listed in the ingredients or directions. Am I missing something?

Hi Bob – I redid the directions for the streusel, to make it softer, so that comment no longer applies. Thanks, I’ll delete it – PJH

62. marie polito

Can I double this Cinnamon streusel coffeecake recipe and put this into a lager pan (like a sheet cake pan but deeper? This is the best Coffee Cake Ever ! Doubling a recipe is always an experiment. Usually it works if you check you math carefully. Mary @ KAF
    Marie Polito

63. Sharan

I made this very tasty coffeecake a few weeks ago. My family is lovers of any streusel coffeecake, however, my husband said he thought it was not cooked all the way through. It was a little gooey but I didn’t think it was because it was under cooked. I am at a high altitude and just printed your high altitude directions that you posted a few posts up from mine. I will try this again, adjusted. I will let you know. Thanks, Sharan

64. Valleri

My family, friends, and I have loved every recipe I’ve tried from KA. However, this one and the brownies on the AP flour bag are their favorites!
    Thank you for acknowledging that there IS a better alternative to store bought baked goods. I started scratch baking as a little girl in the late 50s and have never used mixes, even after starting my career and family. Quality always trumps pre-packaged in our house! It’s cheaper, better for us, and tastes so much better than what comes out of a box. Guess my way of doing things is back in fashion at long last.
    Bravo KA on your marvelous site- makes my life easier and a lot more tasty!
    Valleri

65. Kupa

I agree the topping is a bit granular/hard.And a waste of suager since most falls off,and makes it difficult to freeze well.I think maybe using powdered sugar,either replacing all sugar or using 1/2 & 1/2 ratio.I will try that next time.And I agree walnuts or pecans on topping would be good too.Otherwise it was a wonderful moist cake,and I adapted the recipe to gluten-free.YUmmy!

66. Kristine

Made this a few times as-is, then tried it today halved with the Splenda half sugar blend – baked in an 8 x 8 pan and it turned out GREAT – don’t think anyone would know it isn’t “the real thing.” Just a note for those looking for something that can be done the night before – the “regular” version keeps extremely well.
    Thanks for sharing! ~ MaryJane

67. Patti Kish

What a beautiful set of photographs. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, Patti – I just made this coffeecake three times this week, trying different variations – it’s a sure winner! Enjoy – PJH

68. debbie lively

ONE COMMENT SAID HE USED LIQUEUR IN THE COFFEECAKE,HOW MUCH WOULD YOU USE AND IN THE TOPPING OR THE BATTER?THANK YOU I CANT WAIT TO TRY THIS.

I’d substitute 2 to 3 tablespoons liqueur for the milk in the batter, Debbie, to taste. PJH

69. MaryM

OK, should have checked the blog first – for the topping, the recipe over in the recipe section asks for 6 T butter, melted. SURELY you used more, and this picture sure doesn’t show melted butter. My topping was like sand….ugh. Except for some really, really hard crunchy bits.

Sorry for your troubles, Mary. I did use 6 tablespoons melted butter – did you add any water to your topping, by any chance? Because that would account for the hard crunchy bits. Did you use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, and measure it by the sprinkle and sweep method? If you scooped you cup into the canister and tamped it down, then you would have had about an additional 1/4 cup flour in there… Please call our Baker’s Hotline, 802-649-3717; they could talk you through this. Again, sorry- PJH

70. Beth from VT

I read a lot of the comments but didn’t go all the way to MaryM. I wish I had. I followed the recipe through the link and I got “sand” with “crunchy bits” just like she did. Nope…no water added. Is the topping supposed to hold together at all before baked??? I made two batches at the same time and baked them in the bake-and-give pans. Once the coffee cakes were totally cool I tapped off lots and lots and lots of topping. I will have to try one of the coffee cakes before I dare give the other 3 as gifts. I’m sure it WILL taste great…just doesn’t look like the pretty picture.

71. MaryM

Double-checked – it wasn’t the flour, and I added no water (when I saw the recipe, there wasn’t any listed). I *think* I might have over-mixed the topping. Will try it again today.

And Mary, you can always add more butter if you think it looks like it needs it – no Recipe Police here! Good luck – PJH

72. Tex

Cake and filling were good, topping came out with a “sandy” consistency.
    I wound up brushing off about 2/3 of the topping, which was just sitting there on top of the cake like loose cinnamon sugar.
    I’m an experienced baker, instructions and or ratio of butter to sugar need to be changed.
    The cake is a good beginning, needs to be refined a bit.

73. Denise

Can I make this tonight and refrigerate it until the morning? If yes, what adjustments do you recommend?
    Thanks!

Yes, Denise – read the tip on the right=hand side of the recipe for instructions. Enjoy – PJH

74. Maureen Eaton

I read all the comments and cut down a little on the strudel crumbs. I won’t the next time. This was a wonderful coffee cake and got rave reviews. Yes, it is sweet, crumbly and oh, so good, so a little piece with some whipped cream is all it takes. Wish it didn’t take so many bowls, but that’s what dishwashers are for :-))
    and teenagers! :) ~ MaryJane

75. Sydney

This is by far the BEST coffeecake I’ve EVER eaten! I am a complete struesel LOVER, so the fact that this one has TONS makes me happy! When I make it, I leave out one egg and I also substitute brown sugar in place of the white sugar in the topping and it’s yummy! Thanks so much for such a wonderful recipe!

76. peter31gail

I want to try doing a gluten free version of this using your Gluten Free Multipurpose Flour, any suggestions about changes I need to make? Should I put in extra xanthan gum? It looks wonderful and would be a nice treat for breakfast or coffee! thanks for your help.
    Gail

We haven’t tested this recipe yet using the GF flour mix, Gail. Xanthan gum would be a help, but not sure what other changes you’d have to make… You might try using our gluten-free yellow cake recipe as the cake part, then adding the filling and streusel. Good luck – PJH

77. Jane Dough

All of my taste testers are HAPPY this morning! I’m looking for a new coffeecake recipe for my annual Christmas Breakfast and I think this will be the one! My son pleaded with me not to give it all away while he was at school. He was thrilled to try cake for breakfast!

Thanks, Jane (love your screen name…) – I’m sure this will prove to be an enjoyable breakfast for you all, come Dec. 25… PJH

78. dksolutions

I just made this coffee cake and it is fantastic and the best I have ever had. However, I was wondering, is it possible to cut down on the sugar at bit without sacrificing the flavor and density of the cake?
    You could start by omitting 1/2 cup of white sugar in the cake. If you find the results still to sugary, continue reducing by 1/4 cup until the cake suits your tastes. ~Amy @KAF

I have to disagree with Amy here. Sugar is important to the structure of this cake, just as it is in any cake; it’s not just there for sweetness. I’d omit 1/4 cup of sugar to start; and then, perhaps another 1/4 cup… but I think you’ll see the structure start to suffer; the cake might be dense and gummy. Perhaps you could try a different cake, one with less sugar, and simply give it the coffeecake “treatment” – a swirl of cinnamon through the middle, and streusel topping. Good luck – PJH

79. mjs156

Just wondering whether this can frozen before baking? If so, what would the baking instructions from a frozen state? Thanks for your help. I would suggest storing the cake in the fridge overnight as opposed to freezing it before baking. Cover the unbaked cake with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, bake the cake as directed. Start testing for doneness at the end of the suggested baking time; you’ll probably have to add 5 minutes or so to the total time, to account for the batter being chilled. ~MW

80. Spiritedgram

Nice recipe. It looks great and I am going to make it in a few minutes. However, I do not enjoy having to suffer through political opinions to get to the recipe. Best to keep your yip shut so we don’t get a stomach ache before breakfast…

Thanks for your feedback here. I hope you enjoy the recipe more than you did its introduction… PJH

81. GirlG

I want to make this,but I don’t have sour cream.Could I just use 2 cups milk and 2 teaspoons vinegar to substitute?

No, the options here are either 3/4 cup sour cream or 3/4 cup plain yogurt. Using 2 cups of home made “buttermilk” to replace the milk and sour cream will make the batter much too loose. Frank @ KAF.

82. bierock

This recipe looks great!
    I want to add applesauce and diced fresh apple to the cinnimon swirl,
    do you have any suggestions?
    I would say you can use about 1/3 cup fresh diced apple in the filling. The applesauce may make it too runny and it may burn with the high sugar content. ~ MaryJane

Sure, Lynn – Halve all the ingredients (use 2 eggs; no need to use 1 1/2 eggs), and bake in a 9″ round cake pan or 8″ square pan (each at least 2″ deep); or, if you don’t have those, a 9″ square pan. Bake a little bit shorter; not sure how much, just start testing sooner. Good luck! PJH

83. Kim

I’ve made this once before and it is delicious! Sooo good. I want to make it again for my boyfriend but he lives in Wyoming where the elevation is 7220. Do you have a suggestion on changing the time, temp, or any ingredients to make sure it will come out just as delicious as the first time I made it?

I’m sure it can be – I’d bake it for 50 to 55 minutes or so. Test with a toothpick to determine when it’s done. Enjoy! PJH

84. Lou S.

This recipe is unbelievable! Many many compliments. Added some minor tweaks:
    1. Filling is 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp Saigon cinnamon, 1/2 tbsp espresso powder
    2. Added 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, use Korintje cinnamon in the topping
    3. Added 1 tsp vanilla paste in addition to the 2 tsp vanilla extract, use light brown sugar in the cake
    Really makes this recipe come alive!

85. Margaret from UK

I made this cake today and had a piece with my tea this afternoon. My, it’s good. It is also an enormous cake and because it is a little difficult to slice, I had to cut it into large pieces. I am
    taking this to my ex-work colleagues tomorrow and am sure they will not have had anything like it.
    I made it exactly according to the recipe and had no trouble, although it used a lot of dishes. Still, washing up gave me something to do while waiting for the cake to bake. Love your KA recipes.

86. Karen

Thanks so much for this recipe. My son is in 4H and has to make a one layer cake without frosting. He wanted cinnamon cake, so we are going to try this one. The photos and tips are so helpful.

87. Kim

So good! I made it for breakfast and it was a hit! Do you think that this would mail well? If so, do you have any tips for packaging it?

By the way, thanks for all the awesome blogs and recipes you guys have. I’ve learned so much from KAF!

Glad to hear you enjoyed this so much Kim! We certainly haven’t tried mailing this recipe and it may get a little beat up on the way, but if you get it packed nice and snugly in a well-fitted box with some padding on top and bottom (bubble wrap, air pillows, crumpled grocery bags, etc.) then it could transport quite well. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

88. Crystal

I was looking to make this for the holidays as a gift for family and friends. My question is can this be frozen? And if so do I freeze it before or after baking? Also do you know if this would be able to be stored in the paper bakeware products that are out on the market? Also would you happen to know if it’s freezable what the shelflife would be?any help would be greatly appreciated as the holiday season is quickly approaching thank you

Yes, you can freeze it; bake fully first, then wrap well and freeze. Yes, it can be stored in the paper pan; again, wrap VERY well before freezing (I’d use plastic wrap covered by foil). I wouldn’t keep it frozen longer than 2-3 weeks. And when you thaw, once it comes to room temperature, put it in a 350°F oven, lightly tented in foil, for maybe 15 to 20 minutes, just to warm it up. Good luck – PJH