King Arthur Flour named Top Small Workplace

Earlier this week, King Arthur Flour was named one of the Top Small Workplaces in North America by the Wall Street Journal and Winning Workplaces. This is a real honor for our company, a wonderful indication that we’re on the right track with the open and supportive corporate culture we strive to foster here.

As an employee-owner, I have the pleasure of coming to work in a place where I feel respected, where my contribution is valued, and where I see caring demonstrated every day in interactions with customers and employees alike. So you know what? Honored as we all feel, I’m not really surprised to find out that King Arthur Flour ranks so highly.

Sure, we have some great benefits here, both traditional and innovative. But what’s more important than the specific benefits is the philosophy that leads to the workplace practices we’ve been recognized for. Here are a few thoughts from our Spirit Statement to give you a sense of what we believe in and strive for:

“Our strength and our success is fueled by our passion for what we do, the depth of our knowledge, and the quality of the products we sell. We think work should be fun; we like what we do, and the excitement it brings.

We take the long-term perspective and control our own destiny.

While constantly growing and changing, we retain our small company feeling, including our commitment to building productive relationships, both internal and external.

We embrace the team concept knowing that every person has something valuable to contribute… We grant and earn mutual respect and trust.

We believe in continuous improvement of ourselves and our company and in its flexible career tracks that enable us to go as far as we want or are able.

We are conscientious, self-motivated people with a strong work ethic. In the Arthurian tradition, we enjoy the ‘noble fight.’”

My job in media relations is to share the news from King Arthur Flour, and it feels like a privilege every time I have that opportunity. I can honestly say that when I talk about the great things we’re doing here – from products, to education, to our corporate culture and initiatives – I truly believe in what I’m promoting. This is not a company that just sounds good – it is, earnestly, good.

We know there’s always more we could be doing, and the willingness to look at ourselves with a critical eye and make the appropriate changes is what helps keep us fresh and successful after more than 200 years. It’s what makes this an exciting place to be, and a place worthy of some recognition. And while we certainly won’t rest on our laurels, I think this recognition calls for a moment of celebration: I propose chocolate cake.

Allison Furbish

Allison Furbish is a native of the Upper Valley, where King Arthur Flour is based, and an avid lifelong baker especially enthusiastic about anything chocolate.

comments

1. Laura K. Rogers

Well said Allison!
    I actually look forward to working at KAF during the holiday season and enjoy it far more than I do my actual full time job.
    Chocolate cake is always a perfect way to celebrate!

2. Sandy

Congratulations! What an honor. Your workplace environment shows through in your products. I firmly believe your products are best in the country and all the employees of KAF should be very proud.

3. Andrea

As the wife to a man who works for one of the best Small Workplaces in America for 4 years running, I know how you all feel! Isn’t it nice to know that you’re appreciated?

The “noble fight” isn’t always easy, and standing on principle can be difficult in this greedy, money hungry, selfish world. But companies like yours, and like the one my husband works for, are proof it can be done, and it CAN be rewarding, as well as profitable.

Congrats, enjoy the cake, and keep up the great work! :)

4. JanScholl

With all the negativity in the news, in many workplaces, and in conversations around town, I was so happy to read this post today. Someone doing it right. I wish I could buy stock in the great people friendly company.

5. Shirley

I just found some snack cake filling from KAF in my cabinet. I bet that would work great to make little snack cakes for the grandchildren. I have pans that would work great too. Sure wish KAF would open a store here in the midsouth. Truely appreciate working for such a great organization and wish I had that opportunity.

6. Mike T.

Congratulations to everyone there! From what I have seen while I was there and heard from folks that I have spoken with, you all certainly do enjoy working at KAF. You all deserve it and should definitely take a moment to relish in the limelight. ;-)

Mike.

7. Erik

Congratulations. Sounds like KAF is a great place to work. If I ever get out to the east coast, I’d love to stop by the store sometime.

It’s really one thing to have a corporate philosophy about a great workplace, it’s another to find a group of people that are willing to actively work to that end. Good to hear that’s what your have.

8. Karen

Congratulations, one and all! I’ve received nothing but truly oustanding service from the folks at KAF – it’s definitely something to be proud of. (Not to mention that this is one of my favorite blogs EVER.)

9. Mark Harbeke, Winning Workplaces

Congrats on your Top Small Workplaces award! It is certainly well deserved — as evidenced by the many congratulatory comments here. If any of your readers are interested, we’ve written more on KAF’s impressive employee practices over at our blog. Here’s a link to all the posts on KAF: http://bit.ly/cOGaPs Keep up the great work!

Thanks so much for connecting here, Mark – and for sharing our story on your blog. PJH

10. rubyMT

I have just recently discovered your website….and what a FABBBBULOUS website this is indeed! If your workplace is anything close to this website spirit, then I truly believe that your company would be a great place to work at and wholeheartedly deserve the praise and the prize. I cannot wait to receive all the goodies I bought from your online shop and to start baking the wonderful breads you have in your recipe repertoire. Thank goodness for you guys!

And thank goodness for people like you everywhere, Ruby, who still take the time to bake. We’re so glad you found us – and we’ve found you! :) PJH