Potato crust quiche: The right recipe for any occasion

potato crust quiche

Every once in awhile you meet a person (or a recipe) with perfect poise; no matter the topic (or occasion), these all-around champions strike just the right chord with their audiences. These encounters inevitably leave one feeling enriched by the experience. It’s a pleasure to spend time in their company. This dish is just that kind of recipe.

No matter what occasion you have in mind, this Potato Crust Quiche can step in with perfect grace. Looking for a way to indulge in a savory pie without the hassle of rolling out a crust? This is a good place to start.
Need to find a gluten-free or vegetarian dish? Here you go.
Want a do-ahead centerpiece dish for brunch? No sweat.

When Passover rolls around, looking for something different for dinner? Here’s your meal. You can easily substitute matzo meal for the flour if you like.
For the meat and potato crowd, all you have to do is add some ham or sausage and you have an all-in-one main dish.

Sold? It’s really very easy. Here we go.

Grease a 9” pie pan that’s at least 2” deep. Preheat the oven (450°F). We’ll make the crust first. Grate the potatoes and press out the extra water.

spudquiche2.JPG

Now combine the dry ingredients: flour (or matzo meal), onions, salt, herbs.

spudpie3.JPG

Add the drained spuds, mix everything up, and put into the pie plate.

spudpie4.JPG

Now press the crust into place.

spudpie5.JPG

Into the oven for 25 minutes. At this point, most of the extra water has cooked away; we’ll brush the crust with some oil for flavor and to help the potatoes get crisp.

spudpie7.JPG

While the crust is finishing up, we can get the filling going. I’m using leeks and mushrooms here…

spudpie8.JPG

…but there’s plenty of room in this recipe to make use of what’s around, or swap something you like in their place. Spinach and peppers? Sure. Diced ham and artichokes? No problem. Sun-dried tomatoes and feta with olives? By all means.

The timer for the crust has gone off. I’ve taken it out of the oven and put it on the counter, waiting for the filling; meanwhile, I turned the oven down to 350°F. Once the vegetables are nestled comfortably in their new home, the cheese goes on top.

spdtrtaddcheese.JPG

Beat the eggs, milk, and Worcestershire together, and pour them slowly over the filling, giving the liquid time to fill in all the gaps. Now it’s back to the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Looks yummy, yes?

spdtrtdone.JPG

After this dish is baked, it can be cooled, refrigerated, and reheated as needed, either whole or by the slice. If you’re reheating it whole, it will need at least 25 minutes at 350°F.

If you wanted to break the preparation up into smaller chunks of time, you can do the crust at one time, and the filling and final bake at another.

For you Weight Watchers out there, 1/8 of this quiche as made has a value of 6 points. You can lower that by 1 if you use an egg substitute.

Read, review, and rate (please!) our recipe for Potato Crust Quiche. We’re eager to know how you’ll make it your own!

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Spinach & Cheese Home Style Quiche, 20 ounces (Amazon Marketplace) $15.99, (4 servings, $4 each)

Bake at home: Potato Crust Quiche: $9.25, $1.16 per serving.

Susan Reid

Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently enjoying her fourth career after stints in advertising, running restaurants, and teaching at the New England Culinary Institute. She joined King Arthur in 2002 to ...

comments

1. Lulu

>> Need to find a gluten-free or vegetarian dish? Here you go.
    >> …
    >> Now combine the dry ingredients: flour (or matzo meal), onions, salt, herbs

~raises eyebrow~
    How is this gluten-free, exactly?
    Perhaps you meant it could be easily alterred to be gluten-free by (just guessing here) leaving out the flour/matzo? Or did you have a substitution in mind?
    Please see the tip bar to the right of the recipe for this information converting this recipe. Frank from KAF

2. BarbaraB

“Need to find a gluten-free or vegetarian dish? Here you go.”

How is this gluten-free? It uses flour.

For those of you who don’t want to travel over to the recipe, there are two options to make this gluten-free. Simply omit the flour and bake the crust a little bit longer; the recipe will work just fine. You can also substitute 1/4 cup of cornstarch for the flour, and things will again turn out fine. Susan

3. Chassy

This looks good but I don’t like mushrooms. What can I sub? Hello Chassy – You can substitute the mushrooms with all most anything found in a quiche. Brocoli comes to mind. Or how about cauliflower? Steam these vegetables before putting into the cooked crust. Or saute along with the onions. Have fun! Elisabeth @ King Arthur Flour

4. Nancy

Question please…on the oven temp for the crust. The blog says 400, but the recipe says 450.
    I’m really looking forward to making this. As the outside temps are starting to drop I’m definitely craving comfort food, and this recipe sure looks like it hits that mark. Thanks for another tempting treat.
    Dear Nancy: Sorry about that. Either will work, it’s just a question of how much time you’re willing to let the crust do it’s thing in the oven. It takes a while for the water to cook out so the potatoes can start browning. If your oven will do 450, go there, it will take less time. Susan

5. Laura Roslin

How do you keep the raw grated potato from turning black?
    Mostly by not giving it the chance to do so. I grate them right into the strainer, press out the water, season and put into the pan. This part of the recipe is one that you have to get accomplished start to finish before pausing. After the crust is baked and browned up, you could hold it in the refrigerator for up to a day before filling it. Susan

6. Sue

I’m planning a brunch for twelve and am thinking of trying this in jumbo muffin pans for individual servings. I wonder if that will work? Any suggestions? Hello Sue – What an excellent idea! Individual servings… The only thing that comes to mind is getting the servings out of the pan. Be sure the potato crust is not too thin and well baked before filling to return to the oven. Decrease the final bake time to maybe 20 minutes. Check to see if the centers are set. Be sure to cool before carefully unmolding. Elisabeth @ King Arthur Flour

Also, I’d recommend multiplying the recipe by 1.5 to have enough for that many jumbo muffin cups. Susan

7. Dana Booth

Even tho I’ve never been a big quiche fan, you’ve certainly peaked my interest with this. So, a couple of questions:

1) How do you grate the potato? Microplane? KitchenAid grater attachment? Ricer? Which works best? This step sounds like more work than rolling out a pie crust to me.

2) Any suggestions for changing the cheese? I’ve never taken to Swiss cheese :(

Looking forward to trying this!

Dana

Hi, Dana. I used a plain old box grater; I also have a Microplane with big holes in the kitchen that I like quite a bit and that’s what I used for the cheese.
    Any semisoft cheese will work in this recipe: Cheddar, gouda, even Brie if you wanted to get schmantzy! Susan

8. Sandy

Yum….just printed out the recipe for this quiche. What a great idea to use shredded potatoes for the crust. My adult daughter has Celiac disease (as does a grand-daughter and her dad, our son) so we are well familiar with gluten-free cooking. I would use the gluten-free flour for this recipe as it would not change the taste or texture at all. I did see on the side bar the suggestions on making it gluten-free. Thank you so much for doing this. As as aside….I made those Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies this week and they were a total hit!!!

9. Katrina

Here’s a few tips for those looking to keep potatoes white:

A teaspoon of white distilled or cider vinegar added to the water in which you boil potatoes will keep them nice and white. You can keep peeled potatoes from turning dark by covering them with water and adding 2 teaspoons of vinegar.

10. AJ

Oh! Wow! Had the potatoes for the crust and the stuff for one of our
    favorite quiche (onions-bacon-spinach). Of course it was delish!
    Besides I love potatoes in ANY form. Love leeks…but my store has
    them rarely, but I’ll watch for them so I can do your version.

11. Denise

I’ve done this same pie crust before but used frozen shredded hash browns that had been thawed and drained. It may not be a fresh as grating your own potatoes but it sure was a time saver and I didn’t have to worry about the potatoes discoloring on me.

Great tip, Denise – thanks. PJH

12. Deane

The recipe says “grated”, but they really look like shredded potatoes to me. Just checking, as this looks like a really interesting recipe. Grated to me is really small pieces, like breadcrumbs, rather than the shreds that I think I see here. I’m eager to try this, as it might work well with some dietary restrictions.

Do you think that the potato crust (sans filling) could be frozen? I’m thinking of the large muffin sized ones – I like the idea of being able to make just a couple of servings instead of a big pie.
    Dear Deane: Well, I’m calling the potatoes grated because I used a box grater to make them. But if shredded makes more sense to you, so be it. You can certainly bake the crust and freeze it; you can also make the whole dish in large muffin sizes and freeze the finished product. Susan

13. Pingback: links for 2008-10-26 « Angelchrys

14. Nora

To protect knuckles, I grate the potatoes and onions together using the shredding attachment of the cuisinart and then pour the grated products into a mesh strainer, pressing it with a large spoon to remove the extra liquids.

15. Mario

After grating the potatoes and onion, sprinkle with salt place in a dish towel or handi wipe and gather the corners and twist. This will squeeze the mositure out of the mixture, then you can continue with the recipe.

16. Brenda

I put veggies that need draining in the salad spinner lined with a couple layers of paper towel and spin them dry. What few times I’ve tried it, seems to have worked well.

17. Mary

Have you tried this using a non-dairy product like soy milk in the quiche mixture for those who are lactose intolerant? It sounds wonderful.
    I see no reason why soy milk wouldn’t work; the eggs will do the work of setting the filling, so I say, go to it! Susan

18. chrispower64

I tried making this Quiche twice recently and used it for a cooking class I teach and the potatoes ixodized and turned brown both times. It was very disappointing since the picture in the magazine did not look anything like that. One person in my class recommended “Simply Potatoes” in the egg section but I would like to keep it fresh and homemade. I see a previous comment about the speed of the grating and getting it into the oven. The second time I did it I was faster but the potatoes started to turn reddish. And they were still as black as the original batch when cooked. I am looking for other suggestions. thanks

I would suggest to give our Baker’s Hotline a call to see if one of us can help you with this problem!-Jon 855 371 2253