Stud(ded with good stuff) Muffins

Don’t like carrots; never have. Not since the very first school lunch I ever had, back at Academy Elementary School in Glastonbury, Connecticut in 1959. I still remember the basement lunchroom, institutional-green walls, brown linoleum, the folding tables with attached benches, and the overwhelming smell of cooked… something.

That day, I’d bravely forsaken my red plaid lunchbox filled with comfort food—a Gulden’s mustard sandwich, cookie, and apple—for School Lunch. Egged on by my older brother, Mike, I’d stood in the lunch line, and watched apprehensively as the Lunch Ladies, in their blue nylon dresses and hairnets, plopped food onto thick plastic plates. Hamburger bun: that’s a good start. Sloppy Joe filling on top—well, OK, I can live with that. Next: a square of red Jell-O in its own separate dish. Good; red’s my favorite color. Finally: a big scoop of… cooked carrots.

EWWWWWWWWWWWW! THAT’S what I’d been smelling. I looked balefully at Mike.

“Mikey, you didn’t tell me I’d have to eat carrots!”

Mike and his 3rd-grade buddies snickered, enjoying my horror. But I could see Mike was uncomfortable, having to laugh at his little sister in order to be one of the guys. He gave me a quick “have courage” glance, and went to sit at the older kids’ table. Leaving me with a steaming mound of smelly, overcooked carrots, and murder in my heart.

I don’t remember quite what happened to the carrots that day. Lunchroom monitors (the REALLY big kids, the 5th graders) used to walk around and threaten us with severe punishment if we didn’t clean our plates. I think I finally pushed some of the carrots onto the tray, hiding them under the plate; and covered the rest with a crumpled napkin.

I know I didn’t eat them. And I never took school lunch again.

To this day, I don’t like cooked carrots. Unless they’re disguised in carrot cake, or in these moist, fruit- and nut-filled Carrot Muffins.

Oh, by the way, Mike—the Sloppy Joe was really good; I forgive you.

img_7148.JPG

The muffin on the right was my first attempt with the recipe I developed. This is why I work in the “test kitchen.” It’s considered a very lucky day when any of us test bakers nail a recipe the very first time we try it. With this one, after assessing the damage—good flavor, very unimpressive rise—I cut back on the carrots and water. And that was all it took to yield the high-rising, better-looking muffin on the left.

img_7096.JPG

OK, let’s get started. First, chop your carrots. You’ll need 2 medium-to-large carrots. A mini-processor will make quick work of them. They should be very finely chopped, but not puréed.

img_7124.JPG

This is one of those super-simple muffin recipes where you combine the  dry ingredients, combine the wet ingredients, mix the two together, and scoop into the muffin pan. Here are the dry ingredients, ready to be whisked together: flour, sugar (granulated and brown), baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, raisins, and walnuts. Stir them together thoroughly.

img_7125.JPG

Whisk the  eggs, water, and vegetable oil, and add to the dry ingredients, stirring just to combine.

img_7126.JPG

Stir in the carrots at the end.

img_7127.JPG

The carrots will thin the batter a bit, making it the perfect consistency.

img_7128.JPG

Scoop into paper-lined muffin cups. If you grease the paper cups, they won’t stick to the muffins. You can also forego the cups, and simply grease the metal pan itself.

img_7134.JPG

Bake. Nice rise!

img_7136.JPG

Cool by tilting the muffins in the cups. This is where the papers come in handy, as you can easily tilt the muffins fresh out of the oven, rather than having to wait till they’re less fragile. And why do it this way? Because it’s really key to allow the steam to escape from underneath the muffins, lest they get soggy bottoms. Since they’re really hot right out of the oven, it’s tricky to pick each muffin up and get it onto a cooling rack without a lot of “ow ow ow.” Thus this interim step.

img_7111.JPG

Now, is that one good-looking muffin, or what?! And you’ll feel so noble, too, getting some of that healthy beta-carotene into your family’s diet. These are particularly good with ginger spread.

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Golden Nugget Carrot Muffins.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Woodshack Bakery, Klamath Falls, OR: carrot-apple muffin, $1.00 ea.

Clinton Street Baking Company, New York, NY: carrot-apple bran muffin, $2.50 ea.

Bake at home: Golden Nugget Carrot Muffins with raisins and walnuts, 27¢ ea.

comments

1. Mike T.

Ewww, carrot… ;-)

Love carrots, cooked or raw. Never got into carrot cake tho… But I’ll probably give these a try…

Question, I would have thought crystalized (candied) ginger would have been in the recipe and was surprised to see ground. Thoughts on one versus the other???

BOTH, Mike – I just neglected that addition. Thanks for the inspiration- that’s why I love this community, there’s always a better idea out there, an improvement… PJH

2. Joyce from NC

I bet these would be good with some whole wheat flour. What ratio would you suggest? Would I need to make any adjustments to the liquids or other ingredients?

Joyce, start with half whole wheat, and see how you like them – no adjustments necessary, at that ratio. PJH

3. Joie de vivre

I love your description of the the walls, from your description, we could have gone to the same school! That color will bring dread into one’s heart! Your description of your brother giving you the “take courage” glance made me smile.

Thanks, Joie – yes, we’re probably both from that age before “cheerful” schools, right? :) PJH

4. Sara

Can I used canned carrots in this recipe?

I don’t know – give it a try. My thought is they’ll add a bit of liquid to the recipe, so increase the flour by a couple of tablespoons. And do chop them up, OK? Hope it works well for you – PJH

5. cindy leigh

I appreciate that the recipe uses vegetable oil vs butter, and only 1/3 cup. When recipes call for a full cup of oil, I substitute half for some type of puree. Baby food usualy- carrots, bananas, or apple sauce. Sometimes prunes or plums. I will give this a try. I will use some whole wheat, too. This might be good with crushed drained pineapple, too. Have you ever tried Morning Glory muffins? I love those, and they’re so full of healthy stuff.

Yes, there’s a morning glory muffin recipe somewhere I just read… maybe it’s in an upcoming catalogue, just can’t remember. But we were definitely sampling versions in the test kitchen recently… PJH

6. Melissa

I make muffins alot and have never used water. Can you tell me, please, about using water instead of milk? Is it just a calorie issue and will it change the recipe to use milk instead? Thanks so much.
    This recipe has been tested in our test kitchen to get the best results. The blog enlightens us all about ingredients, proportions and finished products. I love that this recipe uses water (which I always have in the kitchen!) instead of milk, yogurt or buttermilk (which I don’t always have!). We suggest you try the recipe with water to see what the standard is, then try your own substitutions – the vegetable or fruit you will use or the other liquids. Happy Baking! Irene at KAF

7. Kim

These look yummy! Would it be all right to leave out the Walnuts? How about coconut flakes? Or chocolate chips? Chocolate chips taste good in banana bread!

Hi Kim,
    You certainly can leave out the nuts, and try other add in. It would make a muffin similar to Morning Glory muffins with the coconut.

Happy Baking!

MaryJane @ The Baker’s Hotline

8. Gwen

so that’s why my bran muffins (from the bran box recipe) always have to sit a day before they would easily come out of the paper liners. i had thought they were the alternative to greasing

9. Mary Corbet

Oh, these look good. I just attempted making carrot-cake muffins from my mom’s carrot cake recipe (which is really yummy!), but it’s normally cooked in layers as a cake…. the attempted muffins tasted great, but they didn’t rise with a nice top. In fact, they did the opposite. They sunk.

But this looks like a great recipe to try, to get a nice muffin look. So I think I shall. I’d rather substitute some crystalized ginger in there (mmmm), and I wonder how a nice coating of sanding sugar would add to it, for some crunch on the top.

Or maybe skip the sanding sugar and add a wee bit of cream cheese icing. Did I say that? on muffins? tsk tsk.

Hi Mary,
    The muffins probably sunk because they had more liquid in them. Kind of like PJ’s first attempt on this muffin, just a little more so. The sugar on top or ginger would be fine and the icing is my kind of muffin! Enjoy!

MaryJane @ The Baker’s Hotline

10. Doris

Do you think I can bake this in mini loaf pans? If so, what adjustment do I have to make? Yes, this will work as a mini loaf. Two things to watch. First, baking time. Begin checking the mini-loaves at 25 minutes. Second, cooling. These are a very moist muffin. The mini-loaves will need to be unmolded and cooled on racks to avoid a soggy bottom. Frank from KAF.

11. Morgan

These look great- can’t wait to try the recipe.

I just bought my first paper liners (for baking sweet breads,etc.,. )for the holidays. Is there anywhere on your site where I can find recipes specific for those paper molds?These are great for any item you bake in your muffin pans: muffins, cupcakes, mini cheesecakes, etc. Have fun. Frank from KAF.

Thanks-

Morgan

12. Sue

My lunchroom in Iowa in the 1960′s fits the description of your lunchroom almost to a “t”! Including the cooked carrots. I’m totally with you on the cooked carrot issue. I like them raw, I like them in most baked goods, but I do not like them cooked, and I’ve tried them many ways!

Your muffins look wonderful, and with all that good stuff in them it seems that they’d have a lot of nutrients too.

I haven’t done the nutrition info. on them, Sue, but at least they’ve got vitamin A and beta-carotene, for sure. PJH

13. Carrie

What about grating the carrots instead of chopping them in the food processor?

These look great, my 5 year old daughter will love making them with me this afternoon.

Carrie, that would be fine – just be sure they’re grated coarsely, not puréed. Have fun this afternoon- PJH

14. Kris

These are hands down the best muffins I have ever eaten and so easy to prepare. My muffins didn’t have the nice rounded tops yours did, but I made adjustments for the altitude here in Colorado and didn’t guess quite right. My bad. I will definitely be making these again. Thanks!

No “bad,” Kris – all good. Have you checked out our tips for high-altitude baking? Practice makes perfect (and the practice is pretty tasty, too). :) PJH

15. Lynn

My daughter and I made these today and we loved them. They were really easy to make and really good too. We used 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour and the rest regular flour. It worked great. They are moist and very flavorful. They are also light and fluffy. I hope to post about making these on my blog later this week. Thanks for the great, healthy recipe.

Good deal, Lynn – glad they worked out well for youand your daughter. I’ll look forward to your post – PJH

16. larry

This sounds like a great recipe, but I’m curious if PARSNIPS could be used in place of carrots. They’re my favorite winter root veggie.

I don’t know why not, Larry – I believe parsnips would soften up as nicely as carrots. Great idea, by the way… PJH

17. Carmen

Hi, I tried this muffins,and they taste really great. I have just one question:the oven should be on ventilated or static heat? Thank you in advance for your replay.

No need for convection, we used a conventional oven for these. Frank from KAF.

18. jb

I made these muffins last night using half the amount of sugar the recipes calls (1/4 cup granulated and 1/8 cup brown) so my muffins came out a bit dry. I think I also overbaked them a bit as well. But when using less sugar in a recipe, what adjustments can I make so that my muffins aren’t so dry? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi – Sugar definitely helps with moistness… Try this: Use 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup applesauce, and 1/4 cup water, see how that works. Good luck – PJH