A toast for the New Year

EngMuffTstBrd2

You know how you always remember the first time you experienced something? First time behind the wheel of a car, first leap off a diving board, that first sweet kiss…

This bread was the very first experience I ever had with yeast. And it opened up a world of interesting possibilities, many of which I’ve explored over the past 30 years. From salt-rising bread to baguettes to sandwich rye, I’ve taken many journeys in the company of yeast.

Yet I keep coming back to this first simple loaf.

Perhaps it’s the comfort-food factor: this bread makes the best toast ever. Its craggy holes capture melting butter, while its texture offers a toasted slice with soft interior, and crisp-crunchy exterior. Add cinnamon-sugar or jam, and enjoy a nirvana-like toast experience.

Or maybe it’s the ease of preparation. No kneading. No shaping. Just mix, plop in the pan, rise, and bake. 90 minutes after the tantalizing thought of toast first crossed your mind, you can be pulling fresh, hot bread out of the oven.

Now that the holidays are (mostly) over, it’s time to slow down and relax. Allow yourself an hour to nestle into a comfortable chair with a good book. And a cup of tea. And—of course—a slice or two of freshly buttered toast.

Ahhhhh… yes.

img_1469.JPG

This bread is simple, but you do need to perform each step correctly. First, heat the milk, water, and vegetable oil to between 120°F and 130°F. This will feel very hot on your skin. Just as a basis for comparison, the hottest tap water from your faucet will be around 120°F (unless you have ridiculously, dangerously hot tap water).

img_1470.JPG

Whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Pour the hot liquid on top, and mix, using the flat beater of your stand mixer.

img_1472.JPG

Mix till thoroughly combined, then mix at high speed for 1 minute. The dough won’t be liquid enough to pour, but it won’t be stiff enough to knead, either.

img_1471.JPG

Grease an 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” loaf pan, and sprinkle with cornmeal. This makes the crust very lightly crunchy, perfect for either toast or sandwiches.

img_1473.JPG

Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it as much as possible. Cover the bread, and let it rise for about an hour.

img_1495.JPG

It should just be crowned over the rim of the pan—if you’re using an 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” loaf pan. If you use a 9” x 5” loaf pan, which has 30% more capacity, obviously it won’t crown over the rim. Neither will the loaf be shaped as nicely.

img_1496.JPG

Bake the bread in a preheated 400°F oven for about 22 minutes. Really, just 22 minutes. The interior of the loaf will read 190°F on an instant-read thermometer. If it doesn’t, let it bake till it does, but don’t over-bake; this bread is designed to be moist inside.

img_1528.JPG

Here’s an experiment that went awry. I thought, how about adding some cheese powder to the dough, to make cheese bread? The loaf on the right is what happened when I added 1/4 cup of cheese powder.

img_1516.JPG

Let the loaf cool completely before slicing. Cutting into a loaf of hot bread can give the whole thing a gummy texture. Patience is a virtue!

img_1517.JPG

Spread with butter.

img_1511.JPG

Or toast, and spread with butter. Doesn’t this look like the best toast? It is.

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for English Muffin Toasting Bread.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Pepperidge Farm Hearty White Farmhouse Bread, 24-oz. loaf, $3.99

Bake at home: English Muffin Toasting Bread, 26-oz. loaf, $1.19

comments

1. cjsmama

PJ, that bread looks wonderful. I have just recently added white bread to my repetoire, so I was glad to see this recipe, and I loved the tip about dusting the pan with cornmeal. Did you brush an eggwash on the bread before you baked it? It has such a great shine in the photos.

Actually, good point, I brushed the loaf with melted butter when I took it out of the oven – thus the shine. I should mention that, huh? Thanks-PJH

2. Jules

Two questions: could I substitute melted butter for the oil, and does it matter what version of milk I use? We normally just have skim here. Thanks!

Yes, Jules, I use 1% milk all the time, and skim should be fine. And butter should be fine, too. The key is using the right pan (8 1/2″ x 41/2″, not 9″ x 5″), and letting it rise jut the right amount: JUST over the rim, maybe 1/2″. Hope it turns out well for you – PJH

3. Chuck

Years and years ago, I used to bake a similar loaf. The recipe was called “English Muffin Bread”. The results of that recipe, though it had good flavor, did not have the craggy holes of this loaf. This recipe will be on my table this morning.

4. Kim

I think you inspired me to try to make bread, I haven’t made bread from scratch since I got rid of my bread machine. I only used the bread machine for mixing and rising. And I didn’t use bread machine mixes either. This looks like the bread I use to by from my local bakery. They called it English Muffin Bread.

1. Shirley

Can this recipe be made in my bread machine, at least for mixing and rising and then bake in the oven?

5. Patricia

Good morning, my father made English muffin bread but used his own recipe. I am so glad to find this and plan to start making it today. I am also wondering if I can exchange whole wheat for some of the flour. I grind wheat berries for my breads. If so, how fine should I grind the berries? You can certainly experiment by adding whole wheat. I would start by substituting 10% of the all purpose with your finely ground whole wheat berries. If you like that, then substitute another 10% and so on. Molly@KAF

6. Nancy

PJ, does a glass pan work for this at all? I have metal (which I’ll use today), but I was wondering how glass affects the baking. To use a glass pan just reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees – Molly@KAF

7. Diana

Just made this bread and it was quick and easy. I substituted 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat floud and used olive oil. It was wonderful and a keeper! For those interested in calorie and fat counts, this loaf (with the whole wheat flour and olive oil) cut into 16 slices has 90 calories and 2.1 grams of fat per slice.

8. Jules

My seven year old made this bread this afternoon. She did it almost entirely by herself. Thanks for such a great recipe! We’ll make it again!

Great, Jules – tell her congratulations and give her a big hug from King Arthur! PJH

9. Jackson

This is a bread I might just be able to make before the family is up on the weekend–they can sleep late, and I can see the sunrise. I put my bread in the microwave to rise, because somebody told me that Julia Child said it was a good thing to do–free of drafts, and I guess in this case it will still be slightly warm from heating the liquid. But what if I nod off, and the bread stays in for two hours? Or more? Can I punch it down and let it rise again? What happens to the texture if I do that? Can I make the dough at night, leave it in the crisper and bake it in the morning? Am I worrying unnecessarily that a loaf of yeast bread might be too quick and easy?

If the dough hasn’t fallen, it should be fine to deflate and let it rise again although the texture may be affected. And sure, you can make the dough the night before, refrigerate it and bake it in the morning. Molly @ KAF

Jackson, you can punch it down and let it rise again; you run the risk of losing some oven spring (a nice rise in the oven), but if you don’t wait TOO long it should be OK. The texture might be a little finer. You can try making the dough at night, putting it in the fridge (covered), then baking in the morning. Understand you need to put it in a big bag or bowl, as it’ll rise in the fridge. then you’ll need to shape it and let it rise, which will take awhile, as it needs to warm. I think you should just make some other kind of bread, if you want to go to all that trouble. This is an easy 90-minute bread—truly. Why not accept the poor thing for what it is?! :) PJH

10. Margaret Woodside

Dear PJ. I will make this bread for my grandson’s breakfast tomorrow. He is 19 and I don’t get many chances to remind him about the times we baked together when he was little. Thanks for this just-in-time recipe and all the other wonderful simple and tasty recipes from the past year. The American Biscotti recipe has been made at least a dozen times with great success. Just one example. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this great blog.
    Happy New Year!

And a very Happy New Year to you, too, Margaret. I just made some biscotti myself (pecan-chocolate chip, for a party tonight…) – PJH

11. AnneMarie

This is the easiest bread that I have ever made. Even on vacation, I cannot stay in bed past 630. The bread was cooling before the kids started coming down the stairs. The oldest and latest sleeper, may find nothing but crumbs. Thanks for the great recipe. Anne

I’m with you, AnneMarie – I’m out of bed usually by 5 a.m. Great time of the day. Glad the recipe worked well for you – enjoy! PJH

12. Beth

Lately I’ve been making these loaves in cast iron loaf pans, and they turn out great. Kind of funny the first time I made this loaf, and gave a slice of it toasted and buttered to my husband: he looked startled, and then asked for another slice, and then asked if he could take the second loaf to work. He called from work a couple of hours later, and said that I had three “orders” from coworkers for loaves. I make this bread at least once a week now. It’s amazing – and it does taste like English muffins.

13. Anjanette

Thank you for showcasing this recipe! I don’t do very much yeast work at all, because it takes so long, and because I’m a little intimidated by yeast, so this was the perfect recipe for me. I used King Arthur bread flour, since I had some on hand, and it turned out wonderfully. I love toast, and I really love English Muffin bread, but I never buy it because of how expensive it is. Now I never have to buy it! Thanks again; tomorrow I’ll try it out toasted with Nutella, mmm.

14. Sandy

Just mixed this loaf up and set it out to rise. However, my dough was not “pourable” and so soft like yours. Mine was like a dough that had been kneaded. I followed the directions explicitly but don’t know why my dough is not soft like the description and picture. Will know if it turns out when it rises and bakes.

Hi Sandy: I’d guess you measured your flour by dipping the cup into the bag or canister, and sweeping off the excess. This will give you up to 3 to 4 tablespoons additional flour, per cup, than the sprinkle-and-sweep method we recommend. Either that, or you didn’t use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -did you use bread flour? Or another brand? Still I’m betting on the way you measured. It’ll probably be fine – just perhaps not quite as high-rising, and with finer texture. -PJH

Using bread flour will yield a chewier texture. Go ahead Josh! A little more liquid may be needed so add a little at time to adjust the consistency. Elisabeth@KAF

15. Nancy

I made this bread yesterday, and would have made a second loaf but we actually ran out of flour (so much holiday baking, we went through a 5 pound bag in less than a week!). The bread was a huge hit around here, and easier than most quick breads. I can see this becoming a staple. My dough rose in 35 minutes; will I see any advantages if I put it in a cooler spot to rise more slowly?

Nancy, the slower the rise, the more time the flavor has to develop. So, while the difference wouldn’t be immense, it wouldn’t hurt to slow it down a bit, flavor-wise. Glad it was a hit! PJH

16. Sandy

Thanks for your commments PJH. So what is the spinkle and sweep method of measuring flour? I used King Arthur All-Purpose Flour….nothing but KAF enters my house! I did scoop the flour directly from the bag. The bread rose up nice and high but the texture was not as “holey” as your picture. However, the bread is delicious and literally melts in the mouth when toasted. I plan to make a loaf and take it to friends, along with my homemade freezer jam as a belated Christmas gift….just could not get it done beforehand since I had a dinner party for 18 on the 20th and 8 people for Christmas Eve dinner too!

I made the sprinkle and sweep method a link to our page detailing it; it’s a link here again. Can you see it (I hope)? Just click on “sprinkle and sweep method.” So take a look –

I’m glad your bread came out well anyway. And I hope you’re allowing yourself to relax today – sounds like big doings over the holidays! PJH

17. donna

just to tell how much i enjoy your products i will purchase more of them you have me hooked thanks

Hey, thanks, Donna! PJH

18. Beth

I just made this…fantastic, and it turned out exactly as pictured and described! I’m wondering if, and if so, in what proportion, white whole wheat can be substituted for some of the AP flour? Thanks for the steady inspiration throughout this holiday season!

Try 1/3 whole wheat (preferably white whole wheat), 2/3 AP flour, see where it takes you. It’ll be senser, drier, and won’t rise as high – that’ll be the tradeoff, but it might be worth it to you- PJH

19. Susan

I’ve got this loaf baking as I type–but when I pulled the plastic wrap off the loaf, the dough stuck to the plastic wrap and I ended up with a brick-shaped loaf. I’m hoping it’ll taste just fine, but I’m wondering what the secret is to getting the wrap off the dough once it’s crowned above the plan. Should I have greased it lightly? Yes, spraying it lightly works well in this situation. Molly @ KAF

20. Sandy

I made this loaf again today using the “sprinkle and sweep” method as you suggested PJH. The dough looked like the picture this time and it looks gorgeous out of the oven cooling. Of course, the first one I made looked just as gorgeous! I am betting the texture is more “hole-y” like the picture this time. I won’t know as I am giving it as a gift along with 3 jars of my homemade peach, strawberry and blackberry freezer jams. I do plan to make another loaf for us very soon so will know then if the finished texture is true to the picture.

21. Melanie

I made this Sunday, to take to my family who I went to visit Monday, but the bread never rose, even a quarter of an inch. The yeast was alive-when I added the liquids (which were in the temp range listed in the recipe) it bubbled-but I guess they died quickly because the load didn’t rise at all.

WOW, that’s really weird, Melanie. Wish I knew what happened. Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Was the liquid hot, but not so hot it would feel uncomfortable? It’s definitely a yeast issue… Maybe you doubled the salt, or something? Too much salt kills yeast. Sorry ’bout that – PJH

22. Sandy

Last comment…I promise! I sliced the loaf up before giving it to my friends. I am happy to report that the inside looked just like the picture! So the “sprinkle and sweep” method made the difference!

YAY Sandy! Amazing how much it matters to measure flour a certain way, eh? – PJH

23. Karen Southwell

i made this fabulous loaf and really loved the texture and taste. Then, I was inspired to use it in your Overnight French Toast recipe. I’d made the recipe before Christmas with store bought bread and my co-workers devoured it. However, with the English Toasting Bread it was even more delicious. A winning combination and both recipes from KAF! I am addicted to your blog and don’t feel my day is complete unless I check the latest posting. Your compassion for what you do is inspiring. Many
    thanks and continued success in 2009!!!

Yes indeed, this bread is super for French toast. Thanks for reminding us, Karen – glad it worked well for you. And happy 2009 – here’s to another year’s worth of baking discoveries. PJH

24. Bob

Hi, A note to Melanie on her bread not rising. I too used active yeast and on one loaf put the yeast in the HOT liquid and bread did not rise. The temp for the hot liquid in recipe I believe is too hot for dry active yeast. Also, the olive oil may have something to do with it. I made a second loaf with proofing the yeast just in the water at 110 degrees and it was just fine. Don’t know if this was the problem but at least you are not alone in the no rise surprise. I am getting instant yeast for this recipe to see if it is a better choice. Also, I need to try the fluff and sprinkle method of flour measuring as my dough comes out between a batter mixture and regular dough texture. Thank PJH for your VERY helpful hints.

I suspect this recipe works better with instant yeast. However, if you use active dry, DON’T put it in the hot water! Do as the recipe says and mix it in with the other dry ingredients, then pour the hot water over; the flour, etc. acts as a buffer against the heat of the liquid. And yes, do try the fluff and sprinkle method of measuring flour – it’s how we write all of our recipes, so you’ll get better results doing it that way – at least on THIS site! PJH

25. Tina

This sounds like a great bread. I can’t wait to try it. I love to bake and baking bread is one of my favorite things. I can’t show up to a family function without my homemade rolls. Is this recipe in the KAF cookbook? I have been looking at it wanting to order it but have not done so yet. The catalog for me is like a wishbook. I want everything! I only use the KAF bread flour for my bread. Thanks for such a great product.

I’m not sure if this recipe is in our 200th Anniversary Cookbook, but I don’t believe it’s in The Baker’s Companion – which you should get anyway, as it’s LOADED with great recipes, tips, and all-around neat baking info. Glad you’re a bread-baker, Tina – it’s a fascinating area to explore. PJH

26. Nancy

I made this bread yesterday Although the holes were not as big as those in the photos, it tasted great!
    My first question is – I have a KA Pro 600, and the instruction book says to never go over speed 2 when making yeast doughs. I was reluctant to follow your instruction to beat at high speed (10) for one minute. How do I adapt this recipe?
    Also, I would like to double the recipe. When I made bread years ago, (and the yeast was only available in the little packets) I remember the recommendation to not double the yeast when doubling the recipe. Is that also true for the instant yeast?
    I love this blog! Thanks- Nancy

Nancy, go ahead and beat at high speed for 1 minute; trust me, it’s OK. It won’t hurt the machine, since the dough is so wet. It’s more like cake batter than bread dough. And that’s right, you don’t need to double the yeast – the original recipe, in fact, called for 6 cups of flour. I just cut it back because most people make a single loaf of bread these days. PJH

1. Elaine Newman

I am keen to try this recipe for english muffin toasting bread but stymied b y the fact that everyone seems to use a stand mixer that costs over $500 – is this really necessary or is there some alternative?

Elaine, you could beat by hand if you’ve got a lot of strength/energy. Or, if you have an eggbeater or electric hand mixer, those would be good. You just need to really beat the dough/batter HARD for a minute or so, however you’re able. And if you’re unable to beat it hard, use just 2 teaspoons yeast, mix it up really well, then let it sit/rise at room temperature for 2-3 hours before scooping it into a pan, and letting it rise again. The extra rise will help develop the gluten you were unable to develop via beating. Good luck – PJH

27. Tracie

This bread is so beautiful, i made 3 loaves today. I love to bake different kinds of breads, but i find this one is so easy to make. I used half wheat flour and half alpourpose and it came out just like the picture above. I love this recipe, I’ll always make this bread. My kids enjoy it.

Excellent, Tracie. Glad it worked for you, and your kids like it. Thanks for sharing – PJH

28. Jennifer

I finally got a chance to make this today. It was a little flat (too cold and my 5 yr old daughter measured the yeast before I could fix the adjustable measuring spoon) (or I just need to replace my yeast) The kids like it though, we are almost out. I think my husband will be able to make this without too much trouble. So I’m leaving him with the recipe and a 5 year old asking to help make it.

Good idea, Jennifer… Actually, this is a great loaf to make with kids, because they can enjoy the results pretty quickly. PJH

29. Jenn

I’ve made this bread several times since I first tried it on New Year’s Day. Everyone in my house loves it! A loaf doesn’t even last a day — it gets devoured as toast and as english muffin pizzas. I used to spend a lot on good english muffins, now I make this bread and everyone is happy. I’m thinking about making multiples and freezing one for later. Hopefully it works. Thanks for such an easy tasty bread!

30. Bill C.

FWIW, I substituted 1/2 cup KAF bread flour to make the crumb a little less delicate and it worked great. As posted above, my rise time with 3 cups flour and 1 tablespoon of instant yeast is about 30 minutes, sometimes too fast for what I need! If I cut the yeast to 1/2 tablespoon, will the rise take roughly an hour? We love this bread.

31. Kathy Border

This recipe looks great – I must share a book I purchased over the holidays called “Artisan Breads in 5 minutes a day” – Hertzberg/Francois. Their recipes follow the same principles – a wet dough, no kneading. But these recipes make enough for 3-4 loaves at a time, keeping dough in the fridge until you are ready to bake. I have had great results using KA products – flours, large dough rising bucket, dough whisk, baguette pan and on and on…I have tried bread machines and mixes in the past to get quick results, but this type of recipe really works for me! Thanks for all your great products and advice!

Kathy, so right – I’ve been working my way through “Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day,” and we’ll be offering it (with accompanying tools) in the catalogue this fall. AWESOME bread – and unbelievably easy. – PJH

32. Darren Hohaus

I love the idea of making a decent bread in so short a time so I tried out the recipe today.

I did two loaves. The first loaf I followed the recipe to the letter and the second loaf I substituted half the bread flour with whole wheat flour.

The problem I encountered was that the domes that started to develop during the proofing collapsed when I put them in the oven. the finished breads came out flat and the crumb looked a little dense. I was gentle with the dough when I placed the pans in the oven and like I said the rise during proofing looked picture perfect (50 minutes). The oven was preheated to 400 degrees and I have not had any rising issues with other breads so far.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? If I can get this recipe right, it would be a good one to have on hand if I needed to make some quick loaves.

TIA for any help.
    Darren

The liquid may have been off jus t abit to give this dense loaf. Please give us a call and talk to one of the bakers. Frank from KAF.

33. Zeke

I’ve made about 4-5 loaves of this in the last two weeks. I find it’s the easiest (and tastiest) bread recipe ever!!
    Be sure to grease/oil your hands or spatula when removing the dough – it’s very sticky.

The absolute best toast ever and great for mini pizzas (I use sauce, shredded cheese, garlic powder, and a pinch of kosher salt, per slice).

The bread of 1000 uses, huh, Zeke? Glad you’re enjoying it- PJH

34. Jackie

I just made this bread for the second time. The first time I used all-purpose flour and a 9″x5″ glass pan. It didn’t rise much at all, but it still had a decent texture. Then today I decided to give it another try. I decided to experiment, using KAF unbleached bread flour for one loaf and unbleached pastry flour for the second loaf. I actually meant to use all-purpose flour but I mistakenly grabbed pastry flour. I was surprised to discover the loaf made with pastry flour rose slightly more, but it also cracked around the edge and on top a bit. Nevertheless, I was really happy that my bread rose really nicely this time-the pan size really does make a big difference.

Thanks for carrying out this experiment, Jackie. Did you use a 9″ x 5″ pan each time? The recipe calls for an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ pan, which gives a nice rise. A 9″ x 5″ pan is 30% larger, by volume, than an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″; so you won’t get nearly the nice rise in a 9″ x 5″ pan. PJH

35. Jackie

I guess I forgot to add that the second time I used 8 1/2″ loaf pans for both loafs the second time around.

That should help, Jackie – using an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ pan. PJH

36. Oiyi

Do I have to use a Stand Mixer for this? Can I use a handheld mixer or even a wooden spoon?

Yes to the hand mixer. Not sure about the wooden spoon. How much energy and how strong are you? If you’re a good, strong beater by hand, give it a try – probably you’ll need to stir for several minutes to develop the dough’s gluten enough… PJH

37. Ron

PJ – I had recently talked about using sourdough in the recipe from Beauty and the Baguette in the banter about the rustic sourdough loaf. Wondering if I can use my starter for this. Thinking of substituting 1/2 cup of starter for 1/2 cup of the flour and the 1/4 cup of water. Think it would work? Saw the recipe for the sourdough english muffins, and thought it might work on this. Wonder if I could make a bread out of the sourdough english muffin recipe? I can’t seem to stop this sourdough obsession. I will be mixing this by hand, as I don’t have a mixer. Thanks for this great site. I am hooked on it these days. Ron

Ron, I think it would work fine in this recipe – but don’t leave out the yeast, thinking the sourdough will take care of the rising. The sourdough will be there strictly for flavor in this one. Sourdough’s fun, huh? Enjoy – PJH

38. Ron

PJ – Just a follow up to let you know that replacing 1/2 cup of flour and the 1/4 cup of water with the 1/2 cup of sourdough starter worked out very well. Bread had great texture, with nice large holes, sliced well, toasted perfectly, and had a great tang from the starter. I did use all the yeast called for, as I was mostly after the flavor with the starter. Also made the sourdough english muffins. Very fun to make, looked beautiful, and tasted great, although not as big holes, even when fork split. My granddaughter and I made them, and we used an elephant shaped cookie cutter ( I think from KAF) for a few. She loved them, it was fun, and who says they have to be round. I used a wide mouth canning jar lid to cut the rest out.
    What happened to the part of the website that had pictures of all of you so we could see who we are Bakers Bantering with?
    Thanks again for your help and encouragement.
    Thanks – Ron

Excellent, Ron – that was a great idea, subbing the starter in the toasting bread. I’ll definitely have to try that. And English Elephants – a new thing to do with cookie cutters! As for the pics – hmmm, I’m not sure I remember having a section of the Web site with our photos. I’m after them to make a space for us to add our bios, the “about” part that all bloggers have, but we’re pretty far down the project priority list. That would have photos. In the meantime, we do occasionally appear pictured in our own blogs. Check out this one for pictures of me and Susan. Cheers- PJH

39. Sarau

Am trying out this recipe for the first time . . . had anticipated only great things from all that I’ve read. However. Isn’t there always a however lurking? I decided that since I was going to be firing up the oven, why not do 2 loaves. I wasn’t sure if my mixer bowl could handle a dbl recipe, so I did it one at a time. Good thing that. While mixing up the first batch I ended up seeing the 1/4 tsp measuring spoon in my hand as I just finished putting in the salt. Yikes, I must’ve used that instead of the 1/2 tsp that I like to use, so I added in more salt. A call came that required me to leave my loaves alone (not happy) & when I got back one loaf was beautifully risen – the other not so much. I’m thinking I must’ve put too much salt (guess it’ll be croutons or bread crumbs in its next life) & has a big long crack down the middle, but why would my other loaf collapse when I removed its cover? How can I prevent this the next time.
    Either way, they smell great as they cool!

It is possible that you let your dough rise too long so it collapsed Joan@bakershotline

Hi – This is a really wet dough, and therefore it’s quite delicate; let it rise too long, it’ll collapse. I think that’s what must have happened, as Joan surmised. Probably the one without salt rose too fast; and the other, with too much salt, too slow. Better luck next time! PJH

40. Sarau

Thank you Joan & PJH for answering so quickly. My husband thinks both loaves are tasty . . . but then again he doesn’t know the background story- & we ain’t telling, right? Now I know that if a call comes in when I’m making bread I ought to let the answering machine take the call! I detect a slightly salty flavor in the “crack-y” loaf, but the other, even tho’ it has a “military haircut” shape, is mighty delish. Thank you, also, to April who took a couple of my calls, too. Aloha & Mahalo to all!

We’ll never tell… :) PJH

41. Nadine

Have made this recipe 3x and have not gotten the results I am looking for. The first time, I made some mistakes which I thought I had corrected in the second and third attempts, but I am still not getting the big holes I am looking for. Ordering the KAF yeast (have been using ‘rapid rise’ which is available locally). I think the additional issue may be too much flour – my dough is never as soft as the picture appears – but I have been using the measuring method described here. Do I need to sift? Finally, I am using a glass pan in the correct size and found I needed to set the oven temp to 400 but I never get 190 internal temp mentioned.

Nadine, if your dough isn’t as soft as the picture, then yes, you’re still getting too much flour into it… Since this is such a soft dough, it’s important to get that flour/liquid ratio just right. Letting it rise enough and having a very sticky, batter-like dough is key. I’m sorry it’s not working for you, texture-wise… hope it still tastes good! PJH

42. Kimberly Metzger

Thank you KAF for sharing this wonderful recipe! I usually shy away from any bread that involves yeast and letting things rise. In general my experiences have not been worth the time spent. This recipe has been quite the contrary though. I’ve baked this bread twice and been thrilled beyond belief and even felt a bit of an ego boost from it both times. I make olallieberry jam annually and this bread has been the perfect accompaniment to it.
    Thank you once again!

Olallieberry jam – what a wonderful thing to pair with this bread. Glad it works out well for you, Kimberly – PJH

43. Dave

I found this recipe two weeks ago and have made it three times – it is awesome. My neighbors are beating on my door. My little secret is to weigh the flour rather than measure volume.

Today, while reading the feedback, you said it is not necessary to double the yeast if you double everything else. Why is that?

I have 1 pound of KAF yeast on order. I should keep it in cool pantry, refrig or freezer?

Thanks.

Hi Dave – If you’re really scaling up a recipe a lot, you’d scale up the yeast, too. But yeast grows very quickly, and the more food it has (the bigger the recipe), the quicker it reproduces; thus you don’t need to double it when you double the flour. I’m glad you’re getting that SAF yeast;keep it in the freezer in an airtight jar (I use glass); no need to thaw before using, just spoon it out. Have fun! PJH

44. Melissa

I’ll be making this tomorrow, and I have a question. Will it make a difference if I substitute bread flour? I have both bread and AP on hand, so I can use either, but would like to use bread flour if it won’t make a difference.

Thank you!

Bread flour is fine, Melissa, but you’ll need to increase the water by a couple of tablespoons, OK? Or enough to make the dough look the way it looks in the blog pictures. It DOES make a difference in the flour/liquid ratio – so just try to match the photo. Enjoy – PJH

45. Craig

My son is allergic to dairy. Will soymilk work in this recipe? I am going to try it, but I am always looking for good alternatives.

Yes, soy milk gives you no fat and less flavor. If you are missing the taste of fat, take out 1 T. milk and add 1 T. oil. You might also consider rice milk as a substitution. Irene @ KAF

46. Barbara Gibbons

Today, I made the English Muffin Toasting Bread. It turned out exactly as pictured and was as easy as the recipe stated. Your instructions are easy enough for a 10-year-old to follow! I have to say that I am a bread ‘snob’. I have baked homemade bread for over 30 years and have never bought a bread machine. While they are nice for some people, I felt that hand kneaded and baked in your oven was better and everyone that ate my bread agreed. However, I haven’t made bread regularly for years. I save it for a special treat at the holidays because kneading dough for several loaves by hand gets quite difficult as you get older.

Recenty, I started experimenting with some of your breads because I have always used KAF flour (at least I was smart enough to use the best!) and finally looked at your recipes. When I realized that I could make bread by using my Kitchen Aid I decided to try some of your recipes. I first made the white sandwich bread and then the whole wheat sandwich bread followed by the sandwich rye bread. Each recipe was so easy and produced perfect loaves.

Now, after making the best English Muffin loaf I have ever made, I am going to just start at one end of the bread recipes and work my way through each and every one that looks good to me. I may even make some sourdough starter and make sourdough breads again!

Thank you all so much for not only providing the best quality of ingredients for home bakers, but for giving us recipes with detailed instructions along with an outlet when we need help. Your blogs are marvelous and a great addition to your website. I only wish I had looked at the recipes and blogs sooner!

Barbara, thanks for sharing your story here. Did you know King Arthur is the biggest educator of home bakers in the world? And I always like to think that education happens in so many ways – via classes, sure, but also through our cookbooks, and now through our online recipes and blog. I’m SO glad you’re having good success with your breads; yes, a KitchenAid does a fine job of kneading and is a godsend for older hands. My mom is 83 and she loves making dough in her bread machine (she doesn’t have a KitchenAid); it’s allowed her to keep making bread and cinnamon buns way past when she probably would have. So keep that KitchenAid humming – and good luck with the rest of those bread recipes; we surely have a lot of them for you to try! Thanks again for connecting here – PJH

47. Kate

Hi there!
    I’m going to try this recipe and was wondering how well doubling the recipe works or if I just need to go ahead and go through the process twice. I have a large family and need to make at least two loaves to get through breakfast.

Thanks!

Kate, double everything but the yeast. You may need to let the bread rise slightly longer… PJH

48. Teresa

If I don’t have a mixer, much less a dough hook, is there any way to do this? I have a hand mixer, does that help? Or can I just stir myself? Thanks!
    You can use your hand mixer. You will need to mix a little longer-look at the pictures for the correct consistency. Joan @KAF

49. T bake

Hello
    After spooning the batter into the loaf pan, can we put it to rise in the fridge overnight? Thank you.
    Yes, that should work just fine.

50. Ren

Just tried this last night. Flavor was excellent but the texture was a little dense and didn’t have the open pockets I saw in the picture. After reading the comments I’m going try proofing the yeast first (since I used traditional instead of instant) and I’m going to try the “fluff and scrape” method of measuring flour. Unfortunately in Canada I don’t have access to King Arthur flour so I used another brand. The protein content is probably lower (based on what I’ve read) so I may have to adjust the liquid amounts to get it right. Great website by the way and kudos to those responding to comments. Great job.

Thanks, Ren – I’m thinking your Canadian flour may be higher protein, since generally you folks use spring wheat. Definitely proof the yeast, fluff the flour, and increase the liquid a bit if necessary, to account for higher protein; and try to make the dough look like the pictures. This can be a tricky loaf to get the flour/liquid ratio just right to produce a nice rise and big holes, but when you nail it – heaven! Good luck- PJH

51. "Richard d"

I have a Pullman loaf pan that I would like to use for this recipe, without the lid. The pan is 13″ x 4″ x 4″. What proportion should I use in the larger pan? Thanks.
    Increasing yeast recipes by smaller fractions can be very tricky. If you need a larger amount, I would double the recipe, increasing the salt only by half and keeping the yeast amount the same and bake in two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 pans. ~Amy

52. Mike J

Found this recipe on another website and credited KA.
    Followed the recipe without looking at this site and tips on measuring flour. Well my dough was dry like regular bread and I used a 9×5 pan.
    The bread rose to the top with no problems and has a beautiful brown crust. Tastes great. I’ll try a smaller pan and measure a bit less flour next time

53. debbey

Can I make this bread with all purpose flour instead of unbleached all purpose flour? will the texture or taste different?
    thanks.
    If you are referring to bleached all purpose flour, I would not use it for bread. The bleaching really imparts an unwanted chemical in the flour and can affect both the flavor and the rise of your bread. ~Amy

54. debbey

Thanks a lot for your advice. I really want to make this bread , but where I live I do not get unbleached all purpose flour , what to do? Kindly tell me an alternative.
    If you give our customer service line a call, we can surely point you in the right direction. We can do a search with your zip code to find a store near you that carries our products. 800-827-6836. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Amy

55. Novi

Hi.. I made this bread this morning.. It turned out really well.. I did it by hand.. (I don’t have stand mixer) I didn’t want to use hand mixer because I thought it will be to heavy.. Anyway.. I have a question.. How long would this bread be good for? on room temperature or in fridge? Thank you very much.. I enjoy very much your recipes.. and your expertise.

Novi, depends on the weather/climate. Hot/humid weather causes bread to mold eventually; could happens as quickly as 3 days at room temperature. On the other hand, if it’s cool/dry, bread can stay mold-free at room temperature for a week or more. It’ll last much longer in the fridge, but will also become stale/dry quickly. What I like to do is slice the loaf, and wrap 4-5 slices airtight in plastic, then put all the packages in a bag and freeze. I take out just how many slices I want, and leave the remainder frozen. Hope this helps – PJH

56. suetilney

Tried this recipe for the first time … did it in the bread machine on the dough cycle and doubled the recipe so I would have two loaves instead of one. When the dough cycle finished, shaped it, let it rise to just crown over the pans and popped it in the oven. PERFECTION! We’ve been using the “Sand’s” white bread recipe forever and love it; this just may become our new fave!! Another great recipe!! Thank you!

You’re so smart to let the bread machine do the work of mixing and kneading the dough – while you get to shape and bake and take all the glory! This English Muffin Toasting Bread is terrific as is the Walter Sands Basic White Bread made into loaves, rolls or cinnamon bread. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

57. kureel

Hello, I was thinking about the experiment you did. And I was thinking how the cheese powder is a acid and will kill the yeast. So you have to increase the yeast and sugar to counter the acids.
    I love this recipe it is a go to for me. :)
    Ty for publishing it.

I have to respectfully disagree that cheese powder will kill yeast; it’s simply not that strong, and besides, yeast enjoys an acidic atmosphere, at least to some extent. Glad you enjoy the recipe, and thanks for trying it! PJH

58. mjc570

Super easy! This was my first ever bread baking experience (not much of a baker at all), and I followed the recipe exactly. It produced a very nice tasting (and looking ) loaf. I do have a question: I made this in my stand mixer, but could I have used a food processor? If so, metal or plastic blade?

Marcy

Being new to food processor bread doughs, I have yet to experience making bread dough in one. Knowing how food processors vary in volume and power, you will want to be careful and use the “pulse” button more than the “on” button! Also, I would use the plastic dough blade (and read up in the manual on how to use it!). The dough might be best mixed initially in the food processor and then hand-kneaded a bit as the blade might continue to chop through the dough or create too much friction (which can heat the dough and pose a threat to yeast). It is certainly worth trying out, though! Kim@KAF

59. Samantha

PJH, In response to Nancy you stated “the original recipe, in fact, called for 6 cups of flour. I just cut it back because most people make a single loaf of bread these days.”

Could I please have the original recipe. I would like to make more than one loaf and would like to work from the original recipe to make a few loaves instead of just one.

I would kindly appreciate it.

Samantha

Sure, Samantha. Just double all of the ingredients, including the instant yeast, use two pans, and you’ll be good to go. PJH

1. bakersresource

Sure, just use 1 cup of unfed starter to replace 1 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water in the recipe. Adjust the dough as needed to create just the right consistency. It is that easy! Elisabeth

Absolutely! Try substituting 1/2 of the flour with whole wheat, but make sure to add 2-3 tsp of extra water or milk per cup. Jon@KAF

60. Joyce

I read that one lady made this recipe (doubled) in her Zojirushi through the rising. I have an older model and wanted to know which setting(s) to use. Thank you so much.

Joyce, I’d guess you can use the dough setting, though the dough is going to be VERY sticky. You might simply want to use this English Muffin Bread instead, since the recipe is written for the Zojirushi bread machine, and bakes right in the machine. Enjoy – PJH

It is something we have not tried, but it should be completely doable! Just make sure to add about 2-3 tsp of extra water or milk per cup of whole wheat. Jon@KAF

61. Dee James

For those of us that track our food consumption, could you please provide nutrition information? Especially fat, fiber, protein and carbohydrate amounts. I like the comparison you added between bought and home-baked bread.

Unfortunately we do not have this information available. However, hopefully we will have this information for all of our recipes in the future! Jon@KAF

62. Sally

This recipe seems to be the same but different to the English Muffin Bread I have from your site. I’ve used that one several times but it does call for kneading the bread and a little different on some of the amounts of ingredients. For one it does give an option of 1 or 2 Tablespoons of Vermont powdered cheese, could this be the problem you had with the one you added 1/4 cup of cheese? Or is 1 or 2 Tablespoons 1/4 cup? I haven’t checked it but I have added the cheese to the recipe without a problem with the rise but it was a little heavier loaf. I think the picture is even the same. Someone asked about using whole wheat flour and in my recipe for whole wheat it calls for 1/4 additional water. The baking temp and time is also different. I have 350 to bake for 30 minutes, so I’m wondering if this is a revamped recipe and better? What is the difference in the two breads?

Sally, I’m not sure I know which English Muffin Bread recipe on our site you’re referring to. If it’s this one it’s a totally different recipe, designed for the bread machine. If it’s a different recipe you’re citing, could you provide us with the URL, please, so I can find it? Thanks – PJH

63. Kemma

I just made this today and it tastes wonderful. I followed the blog, but mine did not rise as high, and actually looked like the loaf you posted that you added cheese powder to, though I did not. I am using KAF unbleached flour, and SAF instant yeast. My liquid was 122 degrees. I did metric weights for measuring all the ingredients. Any ideas? http://screencast.com/t/zriJhb8c0ov is a photo if the blog here allows a link to be posted.
    Thanks!!

I think your loaf looks gorgeous, Kemma – understand, this isn’t a really high-rising domed loaf. One issue might be your choice of pan; if your pan measures 9″ x 5″ (inside top measurements,), than your bread won’t rise as high; it’ll be a shorter, “flatter” loaf. So check the measurements of your pan. Remember, too, beauty is only crust deep – so long as you enjoy the taste, your bread is a success. :) PJH

2. Kemma

Thanks so much PJ! I used my KAF bread loaf pan and its 8.5×4.5 but today I am going to use my pullman pan, the 9×4 and see how that does. You are right though, regardless of the size, everyone simply loved it.

Absolutely – as I said to Mark, if it’s a 9″ x 5″ your loaf will be shorter and not as domed, but still taste just fine. Good luck – PJH

64. Mark Douglas

Before I start this wonderful bread — I do not have metal bread boxes. Is it all right to use pyrex bread (meatloaf) boxes? If so, I will begin building the bread right away.

Yes, Mark, that’s just fine. I’m suspecting your Pyrex pan might be 9″ x 5″ (it’ll say on the bottom), rather than 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″; that’s OK, it’ll just make a shorter, flatter loaf. Enjoy! PJH

65. Harry Sargent

I am serving in the Peace Corps in Macedonia and would really like to make this bread, however, the flour in Macedonia is totally different than in the US. It is generally classified by ash content and a number, like 400, 404, 500, etc. Any advice on how I can get the same/similar results using Macedonian flour?

Harry, I’d suggest you ask the shopkeeper which of those flours bakers use when they want to bake bread; that would probably be the best way to figure out a higher-protein flour, which is what you want. Then, when you’re adding the liquid, try to add an amount that will yield dough texture that looks like the photos in this post. Good luck – hope this helps. PJH

You bet, Myrna – it will probably take longer to rise, but just give it a chance; if the yeast is good 9read the expiration date) and has been stored in a cool place, your bread should be fine. Good luck – PJH

Not the same results, Chris – the bread will be quite different – different flavor, different rise, different texture, different taste. That said – why not give it a try? I’d suggest using slightly more water (1/3 cup rather than 1/4 cup), to account for whole wheat’s greater absorption; and seeing how you like the result. Let us know how it goes, OK? PJH

66. Kelly

Made this a few days ago and turned out fantastically! I’m not really a bread baker, so I was nervous about making this….So easy & stress-free, with great resulting bread. My declared it a “keeper”. Try it, you’ll like it….even if you’re a bread novice like me! Another great recipe from KA!
    Thanks!

67. fourohok

I made this loaf for the first time today. I followed the directions using gram weights. I set the timer for 45 minutes for the rise and in 22 minutes it was already over the rim by 1/4″. Since I still had 23 minutes on the clock, I popped it in the oven. It looks fabulous! Very high and browning nicely. Don’t know why it rose so quickly; but, if it tastes half as good as it looks, it will be a winner!! Thank you for another great recipe!

1. fourohok

OK – it’s completely cold. Looks great but….can’t slice it. It’s so tender that it just crumbles. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

Did you use King Arthur flour? Other flours are lower in gluten, which can lead to crumbly bread. Did you beat at high speed for the full time the recipe directs? Insufficient beating can yield gluten that’s not fully developed. Did you measure your flour using the “sprinkle and sweep method,” rather than dipping your cup into the canister and leveling off? Too much flour in a bread recipe can cause crumbling. Beyond that – you might want to call our bakers’ hotline, 855-371-BAKE (2253), so you can have a conversation with someone. One way or the other, we’ll help you get to the bottom of this! PJH

68. fourohok

Yes the flour was KA and I set the timer to be sure it went for the full minuter. I did not measure the flour, I weighed it out in grams. I’ll call the hotline and see what they tell me. Thank you.

Thanks – I’m officially puzzled! I think when you can actually have a back-and-forth conversation with our hotline folks, however, you’ll be able to figure it out together. Sorry I couldn’t be more help – PJH

69. Christine M Hansen

The Vermont Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread is my favorite everyday bread – I substitute white whole wheat, seven-grain, and some vital wheat gluten for the flours. I just baked this English Muffin Bread Toasting Bread when I needed something quicker. I used what I had on hand, white whole wheat, increasing the water, subbing in soymilk, subbing vital wheat gluten for 1/2 cup of the flour. It turned out great, though I used a 9 X 5 in. glass pan so it was shorter. Delicious flavor and nicely textured, we enjoyed it toasted and untoasted. King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion is my go-to baking book. Love the Now and Later Pizza crust recipe (I’ve modified it a bit). Most of my favorite baking recipes are based on the recipes in this book. Thank you for this website.

And thank you, Christine, for taking the time to add your comments here – and for your kind words. We appreciate you “inviting us into your kitchen” to be a part of your baking – best of luck this holiday season. Hope you bake up a storm! :) PJH

70. Ginger

I’ve always wondered what does the baking soda do in a yeast bread recipe? I’ve seen it before in this recipe and in another recipe containing cottage cheese. Thanks so much.

Ginger, for recipes where the bread dough is quite moist (so the baking soda can work its magic); and it doesn’t go through several rises (as a traditional yeast bread might), the baking soda simply adds a bit of extra lift in the oven. You know, the belt and suspenders approach? :) PJH

71. John White

Good, definitely wants to be toasted. But I’m still puzzled by the baking soda. According to http://www.kingarthurflour.com/tips/quick-bread-primer.html it seems to be a very small amount, and in the non-acid environment it shouldn’t even work! I don’t have the patience to experiment, but have you ever tried the recipe without the baking soda, or with (double-acting) baking powder instead? Curious minds want to know!

John, I haven’t tried the recipe without it, but you know what? I’m sure it would be fine. Or substitute baking powder, if you like. I’m thinking it’s one of those things you often see with older recipes – an “odd” ingredient, small amount, and you wonder why it’s there. Originally, the recipe might have been made with buttermilk (acid); or perhaps someone just threw the baking soda in there for no particular reason… and it stuck. And since the recipe worked just fine, no one changed it. I have an ancient oatmeal cookie recipe that calls for 1/2 teaspoon water. Yeah, that’s really going to make a difference? After chatting with my fellow test bakers, we decided that originally the water was probably for dissolving the baking soda, back when baking soda tended to clump and become hard, and therefore needed dissolving. As baking soda production improved and there wasn’t an issue with it becoming hard any longer, the water was no longer necessary; but it just “stuck,” since the recipe worked… Hope this helps set your curious mind at ease! PJH

72. nancy68978

Hi, I have been baking this bread for a couple of years now and wanted to tell you how and why I adapted it for holiday baking. After receiving a couple of loaves of English Toasting bread from a large and well known mail order bakery, I decided I was going to try to replicate the Cranberry Orange English Toasting bread.

I substituted orange juice for the water in the recipe. I removed a tsp. of flour from the 3 cup total and mixed it with a 1/2 cup of chopped dried cranberries. I added the zest from a large orange with the cranberries at the end of the 1 minute high speed beating. Followed the directions for greasing and sprinkling the 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pan with corn meal.
    Then used a toothpick to push the pieces of cranberries that were peeking out of the top of the loaf, further down. Covered it and let it rise to the 1/4″ crown and baked it to the 190* suggested temperature. It did take a few extra minutes baking to reach 190*.

It is delicious plain or toasted with butter. This is now a regular addition to my Christmas baskets that I make for friends. Oh yes, my Grandaughters think Grammy is a magician!

I love KA products as well as the recipes and appreciate all of the help I have received over the phone from your bakers!
    Thank you so much!!!
    Nancy

Nancy, what a fabulous idea! I have to admit it hadn’t occurred to me to “doctor” up this recipe – but now I have to try it. Thanks so much for the precise instructions; it’s wonderful how recipes continue to be tweaked and improved over time, and how so many of us have a hand in them. Cheers! PJH

73. Anna

Hi, I have a question. I used whole wheat flour instead of white. The consistency of the bread came out real dense. I had followed your recipe and wonder what I did wrong. Can you please help? Thanks!

Whole wheat flour is definitely going to change the texture and rise of any bread when switching from a white flour. We suggest an additional 1 tablespoon of milk or water per cup of whole wheat. Also, if you are using 100% whole wheat for your flour then I would suggest the use of Vital Wheat Gluten. It will help your breads to rise higher and have a more open texture. Jon@KAF

74. Keegner

I have tried this bread three times now with mixed results. I thought I had nailed it this time, but while rising, which looked so great, the dough stuck to first the plastic wrap and then my tea towel, even though I had lightly oiled the surface of the dough and the plastic wrap. It’s just entirely too sticky. I punched it down, and now I’m hoping it will rise again uncovered and I can continue on. I really, really want to nail this bread…especially since my husband just nailed his very first attempt at homemade wheat bread…

Solution: a cheap plastic shower cap. That’s what I use. Slip the elastic part over the rim of the pan, “poof” up the part that would be covering your hair, and you’ve got an instant “proof box” – with a nice high dome that the sticky dough won’t touch. You can usually get these at the dollar store – when I travel, I always bring the free ones in the motel bathroom home with me. Hope this helps – PJH

75. Tondalaya

This bread has gotten me into plenty of trouble–whenever I make it for someone, they want a regular supply! I use the KA Tea Loaf pan as it makes the perfect size toast for breakfast or a quick open-faced sandwich. I just love how simple and down-home good this loaf is every time–it’s a reliable and wonderful recipe….but then I can say that about every recipe I’ve used from King Arthur.

76. Badotz

Why heat the liquids? And doesn’t yeast die at 104°F?

I ask because when I make this bread I do *not* heat the liquids, yet the bread is tender with a nice crumb, and makes SUPERLATIVE toast!

Yeast doesn’t die at 104 degrees Fahrenheit, but at 140 degrees. The warm liquids help get this bread moving quickly. I am so glad that your method is working well for you.~Jaydl@KAF

77. Kim

My Mom was just raving about this recipe yesterday. Do you know if this would work with a plant milk? Almond, soy?

Unfortunately, we haven’t tried this recipe made with soy and almond milks. Please do give it a try (and let us know what you think).~Jaydl@KAF

78. Jeanette

I substituted 1 cup of white whole wheat and 1/3 cup semolina flour for part of the all purpose flour. texture looked a little different but the results were very tasty.