Marshmallows: an ode to Elsie

marshmallows

On any given Friday night, you’ll find our family racing out the door to our favorite trendy hot spot to rub elbows with the movers and shakers in our community. That’s right, we’re headed to the diner, and to see Elsie.

I know you may not have met my Elsie, but you do know her. She’s in her mid ’50s , the prime of her life, and loving every minute of it. She works her day job at the local dentist’s office, and nights and weekends at the diner to make ends meet.

She has grown children, and grandchildren too, and is happy to share stories and photos, but is just as interested in what you and yours have been up to. She knows how you like your tea, your burger, and will give you the big slice of chocolate cream pie to go, so you don’t have to rush through it.

Elsie is the first waitress Shannon ever gave an order to by herself, and we’re always sure to go in about an hour before closing time, so that things have slowed down and Elsie can sit with us for a bit and chat. Last month, she let us know the business is up for sale, and darned if we weren’t tempted to make an offer then and there, because Elsie said she would work for us anytime.

This past Mother’s Day, we gave Elsie a gift card to our King Arthur Flour Baker’s Store, as she’s a big fan of the bakery’s éclairs. The card read, “To our Friday night Mom.” She said no customer had ever done that before, and hurried off to get our drinks a little misty-eyed. Yep, I love Elsie.

On a recent Friday, Elsie asked what I’d been up to.

“Making marshmallows,” I said.

“Marshmallows? You can make those? I’ve never heard of such a thing!” she said.

After explaining how easy it was, I knew I needed to write a post here on marshmallows. So, I dropped off a bag of “shmallows” (as we say at our house) to Elsie, who was delighted, and headed home to make a new batch (or two). I even fancied them up a bit for the holidays. They’re still so easy, you’ll be amazed; and the flavor beats any store- bought imitators hands down.

Do plan on making these the day before serving, or at least in the early morning, as they have to sit for several hours (or overnight) to firm up. So, let’s make Homemade Marshmallows. Here goes…

gelatin.jpg

Place the powdered gelatin in the bowl of your mixer, and get out the whip attachment. You can use the paddle, but it will take longer to beat and your marshmallows will be a little less fluffy.

wet-gel.jpg

Add 1/2 cup of the cool water, and stir until the gelatin is throughly wet. It won’t dissolve at this point, but will stay grainy.

gelled-gel.jpg

In just a few minutes, the gelatin will begin gelling. It’ll still appear grainy, but will be firm like pudding.

set-temp.jpg

Marshmallows require a cooked sugar syrup. You’ll need an accurate thermometer. I use my Thermometer Timer. You can set the temperature at which you want the alarm to sound, so you never miss a crucial stage. I like to set mine just under the final temperature I need, so I can be back at the stove just before my target temp.

set-probe.jpg

Next, secure the probe to your pan. You want the tip of the probe just above the bottom of the pan, but deep enough to be in the syrup.

corn-syrup.jpg

While I do have a Wonder Cup that’s excellent for sticky foods like corn syrup, I just couldn’t put my hands on it, so I sprayed the inside of my glass liquid measure with cooking spray, and wiped most of it out. Works like a charm.

sugar-bucket.jpg

Recognize this? I love our dough rising buckets for storage. They’re translucent, so you know what’s inside; they hold a TON; and they’re stackable. I have at least 4 at any given time, and several 1-cup measures as well, so each bucket has its own cup.

start-heating.jpg

Heat the remaining water, corn syrup, salt, and sugar over medium heat until it boils. It will sound like Rice Krispies as the small bubbles burst.

cubed-gel.jpg

Check on the gelatin; it should be fully jelled. I like to break it up into cubes, partly because it’s more surface area to melt faster, and partly because it’s fun to play with.

nearly-done.jpg

In about 15 minutes the syrup will be nearly the right temperature. Now’s not the time to walk away; stay near the stove for the last few degrees.

bubbles-pan.jpg

The bubbles are now much larger, and the syrup has colored slightly.

bubbles-close-up.jpg

The snapping now sounds like bubble wrap, and the temperature will be 240°F. Take the pan off of the heat.

slow-pour.jpg

With the mixer bowl and whip in place and the mixer on low, slowly pour the hot syrup into the bowl. You’re aiming for the space between the whip and the side of the bowl, so the syrup isn’t splashing onto the bowl or the whip.

ready-to-whip.jpg

The gelatin will now be dissolved, and the hot mixture is ready to whip.

steamy.jpg

You’ll want to start off on a low speed and gradually increase to high. Keep yourself back a little, as the mixture is going to steam.

whipped.jpg

Whip on high for about 5 minutes, until the marshmallow mix is thick, white, and nearly room temperature. Now it’s time to add the flavoring(s).

vanilla.jpg

I buy my vanilla in a big 32-ounce bottle. it really is the most economical way to buy; but it’s also cumbersome at times, so I purchased a small bottle, as well, and some vanilla beans. I leave the beans steeping in the small bottle of vanilla, which keeps them soft and pliable, and makes the vanilla extra-strong. I just refill from the big bottle when needed.

If you want mint marshmallows, you could add peppermint oil or extract. Ditto for cherry, or eggnog, or any flavor that catches your fancy.

color.jpg

If you want plain white marshmallows, continue with the recipe exactly as written. If you want to have a little fun with your ’mallows, you can divide the mix into 1 or 2 bowls and add some gel paste food coloring. You need to work fast, as the mixture thickens and sets quickly. I use the back of a spoon to add some red and green to some of the mix, and like to leave a little white, too. A silicone spatula works best for mixing in the color.

layers.jpg

Line a pan with parchment, spritz with cooking spray, and start layering the colors. You can see that I was a little uneven in dividing my mix into equal portions, so my pink filled the pan, but the white was a little sparse. Oh well, the green will cover it, and no one will complain, right? Let the marshmallows set for several hours (or overnight) before de-panning.

sugar1.jpg

To add sparkle to the outside of the marshmallows, instead of using a confectioners’ sugar coating, sprinkle your work surface with colored sugar.

flip-layers.jpg

Next, flip the layers onto the sugar, peel away the parchment, and sprinkle with more sugar, for an even coating.

cut-layers.jpg

I have owned many pizza wheels, but I love this one we carry now. IT DOESN’T WOBBLE!!! Spritz your wheel with cooking spray, and cut strips, and then cut those into squares. I make pretty generously sized squares, but you can choose your own sizes.

layers-close-up.jpg

Ohhh, lovely layers and lots of sparkle. They look great in a footed glass dish or candy dish, and can be eaten out of hand like candy, or added to a cup of hot cocoa.

wet-spread.jpg

Being an “over the top” type girl at times, I whipped up another batch of marshmallows, and spread half of the mix into a spritzed glass pan. I wet my hands to make the spreading easier.

warm-nutella.jpg

Next came the Nutella. This chocolate hazelnut spread is becoming more and more popular, and you can find it in most major grocery stores now. I heated about 1/2 cup in the microwave to make it more spreadable. Do work quickly, as the rest of the mixture needs to be layered on top of the Nutella. Let the marshmallows set for several hours or overnight before turning out of the pan.

cocoa-coating.jpg

To coat the marshmallows, mix about 2 tablespoons of Double Dutch Dark Cocoa with the confectioners’ sugar. Yep, I’m on a chocolate kick this holiday season!

Using a sieve, coat the table with a layer of the sugar/cocoa mix, and prepare to turn the layers out. Reserve about 1/2 cup to coat the top, and to toss with the marshmallows to coat them fully.

loosen.jpg

I find it helps to loosen the edges of the pan with a plastic scraper before de-panning.

slab.jpg

Again, once the slab of marshmallows is turned out, be sure to coat the top to prevent sticking as you cut. Spritzing the cutting blade will help, too.

nutella-plate-full.jpg

Mmmm… Soft, tender marshmallows, scented with vanilla and filled with creamy chocolate hazelnut spread. Bring on the graham crackers!

I hope I’ve inspired you to try marshmallows at home. They’re easy, delicious, and can be dressed up or down for any occasion. Enjoy!

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. HoneyB

I love the story of Elsie! I am seeing marshmallows a bit lately and I think I just may have to try my hand at them. I love the nutella with the hsmallows! :)

Hi HoneyB,
    It does seem like marshmallows are popping up everywhere lately. I even bought a whole cookbook on nothing by S’mores! The Nutella is delicious and melts beautifully into cocoa.

2. Mike T.

Mmmm… I’ve been thinking about making a batch of Heavenly Hash candy and was going to look for a new marshmallow recipe. The difference between HH and Rocky Road is that HH typically doesn’t have the nuts and uses a creamier marshmallow while RR typically uses little store bought (blech) marshmallows. Either way, with our without nuts, mmmmm….

Wow Mike! Both of those sound delicious. I haven’t had Heavenly Hash ice cream in ages, but I remember picking out the marshmallow swirls first, then the chocolate chunks. Would love to hear how your versions come out.

3. Fran

Geez – you must have read my mind! I’ve been wanting to do marshmallows for quite awhile. The step-by-step is really what I needed to see. Thanks.

Hi Fran,
    These really are a very easy and impressive treat to make. Have fun!

4. Weaver

I use a different recipe for my marshmallows but LOVE to make them for family and friends. so easy, so tasty ans so much fun. No one ever believes me when I tell them how easy they are. Jst a couple of weeks ago I made 5 pans of them. vanilla, orange, strawberry, peppermint and coconut. I usually make chocolate too but we’re getting ready for a move (Milwaukee to Detroit) and I ran out of time. Thinking about trying some chai mallows after the move

Hi Weaver,
    And I thought I made a lot of marshmallows! Tell me, do the orange ones taste a little like Creamsicle? I can see them in a chocolate orange style s’more, and the strawberry ones for a fondue. Guess we have a new dessert for New Year’s now. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas.

5. Camille

I second the reading of minds…I made some vanilla marshmallows to give as holiday gifts this year. For the gourmet touch I used part vanilla extract and part vanilla bean. (But maybe I ought to break down and get the vanilla bean crush to save a step….) Just a couple of days ago I ordered some maple flavoring from you guys so I can experiment with maple-mallows! That’s the best part about these candies, you can play with them. For one batch I mixed some hot cocoa powder with a bit of cornstarch and used that instead of powdered sugar to coat the marshmallows – it worked pretty well!

Mmmm, I’m thinking maple-mallows broiled on top of maple brownies, and a cup of tea.
    The vanilla bean crush or the vanilla bean paste will offer the flecks of bean in your gourmet ‘shmallows. I like the paste myself, PJ is a big fan of the crush.

6. A J

Well, it must be a case of mass mind reading! I, too, had ‘homemade’
    marshmallows on the brain. We had a bake sale during a get-to-gether
    a few weeks ago and I bought some chocolate marshmallow squares
    that had one end dipped in chocolate. Yummmmm
    Now I just have to get busy!

Hi A J,
    Well, if we have this universal mind thing going on, maybe it’s time to buy those lotto tickets!! I think marshmallows dipped in chocolate with a few colored sprinkles are a very festive addition to any cookie tray for the holidays. I have even seen them on a lollipop stick. Too fun!

7. A J

Oops…seems I have a problem…my mixer doesn’t have a whip
    attachment. Can we use our ordinary ‘Plain Jane’ beaters for this?

A J,
    Yes, you can use a paddle attachement. You won’t get quite as much air, and the ‘mallows will be a little less fluffy, but they will still taste wonderful.

8. Karrie

MaryJane – thanks so much for the step-by step-pictures! I made marshmallows for the first time about 3 weeks ago. A friend and I tried it together. They were very tasty, but not nearly as fluffy as yours. Now that I have read your blog, I can see a few places where we went wrong! I am going to try again!!! Can these be cut into shapes with cookie cutters? Thanks so much!

Hi Karrie,
    Sure, you can cut these into any shapes you like. You would wait several hours or overnight before cutting shapes. I think hearts would be sweet in a cup of cocoa for your sweetie on Valentine’s Day. Have fun!

9. Teresa

The Nutella marshmallow sandwich sounds yummy. I am inspired to make some again. Last year I made my first coconut marshmallows from a Gourmet mag recipe. It was really easy and so delicious! Coconut nutella marshmallows would be over the top!

10. DeWitt

A question about storage: I figure the marshmallows should be kept in an airtight container, but any ideas about how long they’ll stay fresh? By the way, I’m a loyal KA customer and have really enjoyed the blog. Thanks!

Hi DeWitt,
    I store my marshmallows in a zip top bag usually. They often don’t last more than a week or two in our house, so I don’t know about long term shelf life. The tips of the square ones tend to dry out faster, but if you are putting them in s’mores or cocoa, they soften right up.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the blog. Lots of great things a comin’ in 2009!

11. Nancy B

This recipe looks great! We live in central NY – home of “lake effect” snow. When the kids were little, we started a tradition of making marshmallows when we had a snow day and school was cancelled. The idea was to enjoy them with cocoa, but it was always hard to wait until they were ready. We’re getting lake effect today – no kids at home, but I may have to make them anyway!

Hi Nancy,
    What a great tradition. Snow days at my house meant grilled cheese, tomato soup and Fritos. The latest catalog cover really brings back memories for me. Even if you don’t make the marshmallows, give those kids a call and enjoy the memories.

12. Kara

I live in DC, and how I wish it would snow so I could snuggle up under a blanket and enjoy a cup of hot cocoa with these! Oh well-still good without snow outside!

I sadly don’t own a KitchenAid mixer (although I plan on registering for one for my wedding next year!). Would this work with a hand mixer?

Love the blog!!

Thanks Kara,
    I have a whole yard full of snow I will gladly ship to you! Yes, you can make this with a hand mixer, as long as it can handle the longer mixing time. It would be very helpful to have an extra set of hands to help pour the hot sugar syrup and to take a turn with the mixer if you get tired. Make a party out of it!

13. Alvara

Isn’t it funny how each family has snow day traditions? My husband was a teacher so he was home with the children and me on a snow day. I always made bread and homemade vegetable beef soup. Those days are long gone but we all enjoy the memories. My children are in their forties but they still like to come home for bread and soup.

I’m not saying how old I am, but I still like coming home to bread and soup. ;)

14. Judy

HI Everybody–Happy New Year

Well, I guess there are a lot of us thinking about marshmallows. I’ve been doing so for quite awhile, myself. The biggest issue for me is that
    I can’t have corn syrup. I have found a couple of recipes on various sites for use with simple syrup. does anyone have any thoughts about that? This year I candied a variety of citrus peel–love it but commercial has corn syrup and is way too sweet. The peel came out lovely and made great fruitcake.

But as a side I now have a variety of citrus flavored simple syrups that have been boiled down. I have thought that those syrups would make delightfully scented marshmallows. The idea of food coloring and making in layers seems like a great idea. Perhaps with even a scattering of candied peel sprinkled through.

But I guess I should just try a batch first to learn how to do it. I tend to get carried away

Thanks for all the Help from all of you and the staff at KA. I’ve been calling and asking your help center for help for about 15 years. Long before blogs

Take care Judy in WA

Hi Judy,
    There are a number of ‘make your own’ corn syrup recipes available. Most call for sugar, water, and cooking to a certain temperature. The cookbook Marshmallows by Eileen Talanian has a homemade syrup recipe that I have used too. Very inspiring book. MaryJane

15. Patty

I wonder if you could use these in Rice Krispie treats – would they melt the same as store bought marshmallows? It seems that if they are that much tastier, they could really put a Rice Krispie treat over the top!

Hi Patty,
    Yes, you can use these in Rice Krispie treats. You could use the plain, or any of the flavors that folks have discussed here, but I’m not sure how the Nutella filled ones would work. If you give it a try, we would love to hear how it works out.

16. diana alexander

I made the marshmellows and rolled them in andies peppermint candy
    they were wonderful in cocoa.
    OMG that sounds good! Guess what’s going on my shopping list today? Thanks for sharing! MaryJane

17. Patty

I made home made marshmallows for the first time last year, and you are all so on the mark about how easy they are to make, and they were sooooo good toasted. Nothing can compare!

18. Kathryn Henry

A friend gave me marshmallows for Christmas and I took them to the office to use with hot chocolate. I shared them with my coworkers and they disappeared almost immediately. So, I attempted the marshmallows last night. They were really easy to make and they turned out nice and fluffy. Thanks for all the terrific ideas on the blog. I check it out daily for any changes. I also appreciate those blogs that contain the price comparison information. Keep up the good work and have a safe and healthy New Year.

19. Cheri

A candy making class about 10 years ago got me hooked on homemade marshmallows. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without my little turkey “peeps” coated with burnt orange colored sugar and little square haybales covered with toasted coconut – yum!

Hi Cheri,
    Peep turkeys and coconut haybales, how creative! I would love to see photos if you want to share. I was thinking of lemon peeps for Easter, now that my chocolate phase is on the wane. Thanks for sharing! ~ MaryJane

20. Jennifer

I made these marshmellows yesterday, they turned out perfect!!! My daughter loves them and they taste so much better that any store bought product! Thanks for the great and EASY recipe. I will be trying diffrent flavors now.

21. Mary

An idea for Judy, who can’t have corn syrup. I have a friend who has been really into marshmallows this past year, and she has had great success using agave syrup.

22. Jesurgislac

Wow, that’s clever! But I am vegetarian, and don’t do gelatin; do you know if it’s possible to substitute agar-agar or guar or xanthan gum or another of the “Vegan gelatine” substitutes?

Hi Jesurgislac,

That is an excellent question, but unfortunately not one I have tested. If you know of a reliable vegan recipe site, you could check there, or you could check with our baker’s forum at http://www.bakingcircle.com for advice a great group of folks from all over the globe.
    Best of luck in your search. Please feel free to share your results here. ~ MaryJane

23. Jo Maguire

Thanks, MaryJane, for the marshmallow recipe. I made them yesterday for the first time and brought them to my office where they’re being scarfed right up. I made vanilla and peppermint and dipped half of each in dark chocolate. No one can believe that they’re home made — someone thought I had melted commercial marshmallows and then dipped them! I do have two questions: why does the recipe say that glass or ceramic pans are best? And: how would you go about making chocolate marshmallows? Add unsweetened cocoa powder? If so, how much?

I really enjoy the blog, reading it just about every day and find the step-by-step info very helpful! Thanks again!

Hi Jo,
    I’m not sure if there is a ‘chemistry reaction’ type reason for the glass or ceramic pan, but in my experience, the marshmallows just release better from glass and ceramic pans. I have used metal and it just takes a little more effort to get them to release.

As to chocolate marshmallows, try 1/3 cup of Dutched processed cocoa powder, dissolved in 4 TBSP of hot water. Add this on top of the gelatin and stir well before you pour in the hot syrup.

I would love to hear how you liked these. Please feel free to email me maryjane.robbins@kingarthurflour.com.

24. Peter Gordon

Corn Syrup is used as an invert sugar in candy making. Without it, the sugar will be more likely to crystalize. Thus, if you want hard, crystalline marshmallows leave it out. On the other hand, adding an acid, such as lemon juice and heating the sugar solution will yield an inverted sugar. Thus, heating a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice with the sugar can allow the elimination of the corn syrup. I haven’t tried it as I am diabetic so can’t eat marshmallows but that is the food science according to Harold McGee “On Food and Cooking” p655.

Thank you so much for sharing this helpful information. Food science is definitely fascinating! ~ MaryJane

25. Marcia

Check the Chocolate and Zucchini blog. Vegetarian marshmallows were discussed in Dec; no corn syrup ones too. The French use gelatin leaves and Whole Foods has vegetarian gelatin things too.

I used to help my Brownie Girl Scouts make marshmallows and they always loved doing it. Put one between a pair of GS Tagalongs and it is heaven.

26. Marylin

You have described the “REAL ELSIE” to a T!! She is a great gal and wonderful co-worker! Glad you recognized what a special person she is.

P/s I hope to try the marshmallows soon!

Hi Marilyn! Thanks for posting. Are the 3 weeks almost up? I NEED my diner fix soon! (for those outside of the area, the diner has been closed for vacation for 3 weeks, I’m dyin’ here!)~ MaryJane

27. Lori

I had a dessert at an upscale restaurant in Denver that served a smores creme de pot (not sure if that is the correct name) but it was a decadent chocolate pudding with what I assumed was homemade marshmallow topping with a homemade graham cookie made in a ramekin. Do you have any knowledge of a recipe like this?

We don’t have a recipe for this dessert, but you will find recipes for both the marshmallows and graham crackers on the recipe site. Frank from KAF.

28. Patty

I made the (vanilla flavored) marshmallows last Saturday and then Rice Krispie treats with the marshmallows on Sunday. The recipe calls for 10 oz, so I weighed the correct amount of the marshmallows. They melted faster than store bought marshmallows, faster even than the butter. But, the butter/marshmallow mixture was divine. I ended up adding more than the 6 cups of the cereal that is called for in the recipe, (just kept stirring more in) and still felt that it had too much of the marshmallow to cereal ratio. But as one of my children put it – “I always wanted to make these with double the marshmallows. This is a dream come true.” To finish these already superior treats, I spread them thin in a cookie sheet. Once they firmed up, I spread half with a rich chocolate ganache, topped with the other half, cut into small squares and drizzled melted chocolate over the top. Truly, truly amazing. Thanks for the marshmallow recipe.
    HI Patty, Wow! Those sound sooooo wonderful! There is a lot less air in homemade marshmallows than store bought, so you may need less of the homemade to make the treats. BUT, I agree with the kids, the marshmallow is the best part of the treats! ~MaryJane

29. larissa

just…wow. not a big marshmallow fan, but something tells me these are a whole different ballgame.
    what a great tutorial. I want to make some so badly! but no stand mixer. I only have a hand mixer, and also no candy thermometer. on my list…

30. susanmcnamee

I am on round 4 of making these. first 3 came out 1/4″ thick. ugh.
    So this time they are much better (except by being so paranoid of another failure I forgot to add the vanilla!). I find it ever so difficult to get these out of my mixer bowl into the pan. is there a trick? I end up with so much marshmallow on me as well as all over. I use the Viking mixer I bought from KAF – highest setting, for about 11 -13 minutes. the mixture was a bit stringy – we’ll see how they taste tomorrow after sitting all night. I’m just wanting to make pretty marshmallows so badly!

Sorry to hear of your difficulty. Next time try running the mixer a bit slower, this will help the marshmallow set up a structure and take in more air. To make “the pour” a bit smoother. Spray the spatula, or any thing that is in the path, with a spritz of vegetable spray. The marshmallow will stick “less”. Frank @ KAF.

31. susanmcnamee

thanks Frank – I will try that. I’m not giving up! the recipe says mix on high – and you said a little slower – so on the Viking what speed would you suggest?

I think that I would use #8, as the top speed for marshmallows. Frank @ KAF.

32. Mike

A GREAT book on marshmallows: http://www.amazon.com/Marshmallows-Homemade-Gourmet-Eileen-Talanian/dp/1423602498

It also has a recipe for a corn syrup substitute (I have yet to try it) Here’s a recipe/article for invert sugar (what us pros use). it will provide a much better texture than corn syrup to your marshmallows. http://www.chefeddy.com/2009/11/invert-sugar/

The marshmallows I always get requests for is a mint marshmallow sandwiched between two chocolate mint cookies (thin mints, grasshoppers, make-your-own). Just use some peppermint extract and a bit of vanilla for flavoring. :)

33. milkwithknives

I hope this isn’t a dumb question, but has anybody tried these using maple syrup instead of corn syrup? I know that would change the taste, but do you think it would work? Maple marshmallows sounded good all of a sudden, and I don’t have any corn syrup in the pantry.

Yes, I’ve tried this with both Maple Syrup and Honey. Both work. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

34. milkwithknives

Woohoo! Made them! The good old Grade B worked like a charm, and the maple flavor is nice and subtle. I probably should have let them whip longer, but I suddenly panicked and thought they were setting up in the mixer bowl. Next time I’ll give them a few more minutes and see if they come out taller. Thanks a ton for such a fun Sunday afternoon project.

35. jhardy4581

After seeing all the comments I made these last night and really enjoyed them. My 5 year-old keeps asking for more! I was wondering if any one had tried molasses in place of the corn syrup?

36. karikilgore

Well, these are indeed addictive to make AND to eat! I’d never done anything with boiling sugar before, but in the last couple of days I’ve made four lovely batches of these for various work parties and as gifts. A lot of folks enjoyed the ones I made with just a bit of vanilla, Fiori Di Sicilia, and orange oil. Those had green sugar on one side and red on the other, quite festive floating in a cup of coffee! My favorite so far is the chocolate ones made with double dutch cocoa, then rolled in spicy hot chocolate mix. Those you have to pause and savor…

I’m intrigued by the maple and honey ideas, keep those wonderful suggestions coming! I’m actually lugging my stand mixer on a ten hour drive so I can show my sister-in-law how easy and fun they are this weekend! Well, that and quite a bit of bread making.

Peace.

37. ckn

I’m not a huge marshmallow fan, but these were really fun to make and rather tasty. I made them with my daughter’s Girl Scout troop. I had the girls measure the ingredients and then I took care of heating up the syrup. When the batter was ready, they each smoothed a big scoop of the “batter” into their own small foil bread pan. They took the pans home and the next day they were able to cut them up. It was a lot of fun.

38. AnneInWA

I am so excited to make these! I will be making these for my family as well as gifts. I was wondering though, is there a way to make chocolate marshmallows? Would I just add some melted chocolate? I am not sure of the adjustments I would have to make – if any. Any tips? Thanks KAF!
    Instead of melted chocolate, I would just use a little cocoa powder. This will give the marshmallows some color, but will not have a huge impact on the flavor. For the best chocolate marshmallow experience, it is most ideal to dip the marshmallows in coating chocolate as you would a chocolate-dipped strawberry. ~Amy

39. Betsy

I cut them out with cookie cutters. For Valentine’s day I used a heart shaped cutter and dipped half the heart in melted chocolate. Very pretty and of course tasty.
    Great idea with the chocolate. I’m definitely putting that on my list. ~ MaryJane

40. cassandraoftroy

Just to toss another idea out there, last Christmas I made gingerbread marshmallows, using a combination of honey and molasses in place of the corn syrup, and adding the same spices you’d put in gingerbread cookies (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice I think). I put them in little treat-bags to accompany the homemade hot-chocolate-on-a-stick I made as gifts. Everyone seemed to find them really tasty. I might try making them with maple syrup sometime.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

What a great idea! I bet they would be wonderful in a mug of white hot chocolate. If you are willing to share the recipe, I’d love to try them myself. ~ MJ

41. Leslie Fulton

Hi MaryJane, I just made my first batch of Marshmallows – yum, but I had a tough time getting all of the marshmallow out of the mixing bowl (kitchen aid 6 qt). I felt like I left half of the recipe in the bowl and no matter what I did I just could not scrape the rest off. Please help. Leslie

1. PJ Hamel

Leslie, I always use a bowl scraper for getting sticky, stubborn doughs, etc. out of a bowl. With its perfect flex and thin/beveled edge, it scrapes the bowl absolutely clean – ANY bowl. Totally worth the $1.95 investment… PJH

42. Michele

I live in the North Bay of California, about 30 miles from the coast, which means we get quite a bit of humidity. There was a post in the KAF Community that suggested marshmallows should be well covered to protect from moisture. Is this possible for the drying process, or does it affect how the marshmallows dry? I am almost to the point of having a box made to dry them in with packets of desiccant. If it is as simple as covering them, life would be so much easier.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Hi Michele,
      Humidity will definitely effect how the marshmallows dry. You might want to try putting your ‘mallows in the oven to dry. Don’t turn the oven on but just use it like a small enclosed sealed container. That may help get them dry enough to cut and store. ~ MJ

43. Lynne

Hi,

I’ve made ‘mallows for decades with the same ingredients and a very different recipe – no cooking a sugar syrup to a specific temperature (which technique I am very bad at).

Anyway, the recipe calls for lightly greasing the pan, then ‘flouring’ the 8″ x 8″ pan with a tablespoon of the same powdered sugar/cornstarch mix the marshmallows will eventually be coated in (1/4 c cornstarch + 1/3 c powdered sugar). You leave any excess powder on the bottom of the e pan and they never fail to turn out easily. (Sometimes the sides need a bit of help with a case knife ’cause the coating is a bit thinner on the sides.).

For a 13×9 pan double the coating amount and use 2T for the pan.

Also, I have never owned one of those whip/paddle mixer things. My Mixmaster works just fine for whipping marshmallows. (I do wish recipe writers would realize that not everyone has a KitchenAid and would give instructions on using alternate mixers.)

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Thanks for the hints and feedback Lynne. Currently we don’t have a Mixmaster in the test kitchen, but maybe Santa will bring one to us? :) ~ MJ

44. Mandy

With Valentine’s coming up, I’m thinking about substituting the water with 100% pure cranberry juice. I figure this way I’ll get a beautiful, all-natural pink color, and yummy flavor. Do you think this will work?

We haven’t tested marshmallows with fruit juice as the liquid, but the best method for pink Valentine success may be to color the white recipe with gel paste food coloring like we did in this blog/recipe. Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

45. Mandy

I was wondering about the accurate measurements for this recipe, some of them don’t quite add up. For instance, it calls for 1 cup (11 ounces) corn syrup. Which one of these measurements do I follow? Some of the other measurements are off as well.

1. PJ Hamel

Mandy, 1 cup corn syrup does indeed weigh 11 ounces (by weight, when you put it on the scale – not fluid ounces). If you could call our Hotline, 855-371-2253, I’m sure they’d be happy to talk over the other measurements in question with you. PJH