Maple bread: Soft, subtle, satisfying

March in Vermont: one day you step out of your car and, if your Bean boots aren’t laced tightly enough, lose a shoe in shin-deep mud. The next day, snow drifts out of a gunmetal-gray sky and covers the soft ground, turning the landscape wintry again.

img_4857.JPG

Thaw. Freeze. Thaw. Freeze. Yesterday it was 50°F. The crocuses alongside my south foundation made their first appearance.

img_4957.JPG

Last night, 25°F. And today, snow. (This is the view from our IT team’s window. If they ever get a chance to glance away from their computers, they can enjoy it.)

All of this adds up to absolutely perfect weather for maple sugaring.

The sap in our Vermont sugar maples flows best when it’s cold at night, warm during the day. Driving on back roads now, you’ll see tapped trees drip-drip-dripping sap into buckets. Or, just as likely, you’ll see tubes snaking among the trees, siphoning out the sap and delivering it, sometimes with a vacuum assist, to a common collection point. The sap is boiled, producing billows of sweet-scented steam, and gallons of maple syrup: one gallon of syrup for every 25 to 75 gallons of sap.

sugaringimg_4379_2.jpg

Here’s what  it looks like out at the Sands home, where three generations gather to boil sap each year. Frank Sands is King Arthur’s chairman of the board; his wife, Brinna, wrote our “200th Anniversary Cookbook.” Frank and Brinna owned the company for years, before selling it to us, the employees, about 10 years ago. It’s a wonderful responsibility—carrying forward a 219-year-old company.

Anyway, you can see why real maple products are expensive: they’re both labor- and material-intensive.

Not only that, the flavor of real maple is so subtle that it’s difficult to bake with. But once you figure it out—ahhh, SO much better than supermarket syrup.

img_4958.JPG

Most of which, you’ll notice, is no longer labeled “maple syrup,” but simply syrup, or pancake syrup. Maple doesn’t really enter into it much at all.

So, how DO you bake with maple syrup or sugar? By using it judiciously as an integral ingredient, and more generously as a topping or glaze. For instance: our recipe for Vermont Maple Oatmeal Bread originally called for ½ cup maple sugar in the dough. Maple sugar is a pricey ingredient; to save money, I substituted 1/4 cup maple syrup in the dough, then used a mere 2 teaspoons maple sugar on top, to add crunch and stronger maple flavor.

And to enhance the dough’s “mapleness”—1/2 teaspoon maple flavor.

img_4416.JPG

The resulting loaf isn’t going to scream maple. Like the change from winter to spring, it’s subtle, gradually creeping up on you. Toasting brings out the maple flavor. And, of course, maple butter (a.k.a. maple cream)—which is simply maple syrup, whipped till thick and smooth.

Ready to experience a taste of Vermont? Let’s bake Vermont Maple Oatmeal Bread.

img_4801.JPG

There’s more to maple than Mrs. Butterworth’s. Let’s start with three ingredients that’ll enhance your maple baked treats: real maple syrup; maple sugar, and maple flavor. I’ve tried making this bread with supermarket pancake (“maple”) syrup, and not only does the flavor not come through; the bread doesn’t rise as well, probably due to the fact that real maple syrup incudes a lot of minerals (good for yeast growth) that fake maple syrup doesn’t.

For most things in life, Grade A is preferable to Grade B. But in the case of maple syrup for baking, Grade B is much more flavorful. Use subtle Grade A on your pancakes; assertive Grade B for your baking.

img_4326.JPG

Let’s get started. Mix hot water, oats, maple sugar or syrup, maple flavor, butter, salt, and cinnamon.

img_4331.JPG

Stir to combine. As you stir, the butter will soften and melt. Let the mixture cool to lukewarm; it’ll be most of the way there just by virtue of you stirring it.

img_4332.JPG

Add the yeast and the flours: all-purpose and whole wheat. I love King Arthur white whole wheat flour; and the organic version is great in yeast bread, as yeast seems to love organic flour.

img_4333.JPG

Mix for a couple of minutes with your mixer’s flat beater, till the dough comes together and starts to smooth out. You can also do this dough start to finish in the bread machine, set on the dough cycle.

img_4335.JPG

Switch to the dough hook, and continue to knead for 5 minutes or so. The dough will feel soft and elastic. It won’t be totally smooth due to the oats, but will definitely feel stretchy.

img_4336.JPG

Place the dough in a lightly greased container. As usual, I use my 8-cup measure, so I can easily track the dough as it rises.

img_4343.JPG

Let the dough rise for an hour or so; it should just about double in bulk. Look at those nice air bubbles!

img_4344.JPG

Shape the dough into a rough log. As you work with it, it’ll gently deflate. There’s no need to punch down or pound yeast dough; all that does is toughen the gluten, making it more difficult to shape.

img_4345.JPG

Smooth the dough into a log about 8 1/2” long…

img_4346.JPG

…and nestle it into an 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” loaf pan.

Ah, I feel a rant coming on…  Measure your loaf pan, inside/top dimensions. Is it an 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” standard pan? Or a larger 9” x 5” quick bread pan? The smaller pan will produce a high-rising, domed loaf. The 9” x 5” pan, which is actually 30% larger, makes a shorter, flatter loaf. So yes, that 1/2” DOES make a huge difference. A word to the wise.

img_4367.JPG

Let the loaf rise, covered, till it’s crowned about 1” over the rim of the pan; this will take about an hour or so.

img_4370.JPG

Here’s the first glaze I tried for the crust: granulated sugar, maple flavor, and water.

img_4409.JPG

Brushed on the loaf before baking, it produced a golden-brown, slightly crunchy crust.

img_4424.JPG

Now let’s take a side trip down the “real vs. fake” maple syrup path.

img_4429.JPG

I made two loaves, the one on the left with 1/3 cup fake maple syrup, the one on the right with 1/4 cup real maple syrup. Since real maple syrup is sweeter than fake, I was able to use less of it. But look how much better the yeast liked the real maple syrup—again, it’s probably the extra minerals.

img_4430.JPG

OK, back to crust glazes. This time, I brushed the crust with water…

img_4431.JPG

…and sprinkled with maple sugar.

img_4433.JPG

Be generous. Even a thick coating requires less than 1 tablespoon of maple sugar.

img_4468.JPG

And here are the finished loaves. “Fake” on the left, “real” on the right.

img_4475.JPG

Notice the crust: a little bit crunchy-crackly, and VERY tasty, due to the maple sugar. And look how nicely the loaf slices!

img_4474.JPG

Now THAT’S a thin slice of bread!

img_4480.JPG

Moist, good texture, slices like a dream—yes! This bread is especially good spread with maple butter—maple syrup whipped to a thick, creamy, nonfat spread.

Read, rate, and review (please?) our recipe for Vermont Maple Oatmeal Bread.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Matthew’s All-Natural Honey-Oatmeal Bread, 17¢/ounce

Bake at home: Vermont Maple Oat Bread made with real maple syrup, 14¢/ounce

comments

1. Mike T.

Mmmmm, looks great!

Question, do you know, is maple sugar just crystalized maple syrup? I’m thinking some kind of texture would be good here, kind of like a wheat berry or something… What do you think?

Yes, maple sugar is maple syrup boiled till it hardens and crystallizes; atfer that, it’s cooled and crushed into free-flowing sugar. As for the wheat berries, you could certainly add cooked berries – though I have to say, the oats give this bread surprisingly good “chew.” Have at it! PJH

2. Nora

Your blog is addictive! My friends have started to make fun of how often I reference King Arthur flour. I’ve made your Maple Oatmeal bread several times (from the KA cookbook), but I’ll definitely be trying it out with the maple sugar. Yet another thing that I’m now coveting from your website! Thanks so much!

Thanks for connecting, Nora – PJH

3. Halley

I’m sure all of the non-native Vermonters like myself want to know the answer to this question – what exactly is the difference between Grade A and Grade B maple syrup?

The difference is color and flavor, Grade B being darker and more robust. Frank from KAF.

Halley, Grade A is lighter, more subtle, and is boiled from sap collected early in the season. Grade B, made from sap collected at the end of the season—when days are usually warmer—is darker, and more assertively flavored. So it’s not a difference in how the syrup is prepared – it’s actually a difference in the sap itself. Think of the dregs of a bottle of wine, where lots of sediment collects; the wine at the bottom is usually more strongly flavored than the wine at the top. Same with sap. PJH

4. Kathleen

Oh My! You have done it again, another must make and bake recipe. And, I just happen to have all the ingredients in my pantry from my last order of King Arthur products. I was just going through all my King Arthur bread recipes, looking for inspiration as we just finished the last of Robyn Sargents medium rye bread and I was looking for another bread to try. Nothing really caught my eye until I logged on this morning hoping and hoping for a new blog post, low and behold you have unknowingly given me the recipe that I didn’t know I was looking for, thank you. What a difference in the two loafs that you baked, great side by side pictures I’m happy that I have the real grade B maple syrup. As my kids use to say when they were teens King Arthur’s test kitchen employees “rock.”

We do rock – and not just in the chair next to my desk… we’re not there quite yet! Thanks, Kathleen. PJH

5. HMB

Thanks to my college years in New England, I learned to love maple syrup and maple sugar. Maple oatmeal bread is a staple in our house — but I never thought to glaze the loaf before. One of my favorite KAF recipes is maple walnut brownies — so simple to make, but such a rich, sophisticated taste! I just made them again last week when I had cousins from Switzerland visiting — I wanted to make something “American.”

HI HMB, I love those maple walnut brownies! My test recipe comment on those brownies read “Dear Brownie, I love you, will you marry me? “. I think it is wonderful you shared them with family from a-far. I hope they enjoyed them. Happy Baking! ~ MaryJane

6. Beth

What a coincidence! I made this bread about a week or so ago, and used maple sugar (I used the recipe in the Baker’s Companion). It was wonderful toasted and untoasted. I like the taste so much that I was thinking about using this recipe to make a cinnamon-swirl type bread with a filling, but I’m really not sure whether to put pecans or raisins or what in the filling. I guess I could substitute maple sugar for regular sugar if I were to do a cinnamon-sugar filling. Do you have any suggestions, PJ? (P.S. No birthing babies right now – they’re all calving in the fall now).

Thanks for the cow update, Beth -

I think you should put raisins in the dough, and finely chopped walnuts or pecans mixed with a bit of maple syrup in the filling. GOOEY but good! PJH

7. Sugar Duchess

This looks totally divine! I’m a big sucker for maple, and it’s always frustrating to me that you can’t really get good maple products for a good price. I’ll have to give this bread a try!

8. Sue

We’ve been ordering Vermont maple syrup ever since we moved from there 21 years ago. We’re down to about 2 Tablespoons and have been looking forward to the new ‘crop’. It looks like it’s time to place our order! I’ve never cooked with maple sugar, but I will have to get some so I can make this bread. It looks like something I would love.

9. Donna

I checked out the blog first thing this morning and had to try this loaf immediately, it looked so appealing. I made the dough in the bread machine–something I do only occasionally–and it turned out beautifully. Used the weights for dry ingredients, and the dough was the perfect consistency. Not having maple sugar on hand, I had to improvise. I drizzled a little maple syrup into some sugar and stirred it together. It clumped and tended to roll off the dough, so I dipped a pastry brush in water and gingerly smoothed it out. The little bit of moisture dissolved the sugar somewhat and allowed me to spread it evenly without deflating the dough. Of course, the flavor isn’t very intense, but I got the desired crackly glaze. I just pulled it out of the oven a few minutes ago, and couldn’t even wait to turn it out–had to snitch a little off the end where it overhangs the edge of the pan. It is wonderful! I’ll be adding maple sugar to my first online order–have been making a list since discovering your blog a few weeks ago. Thanks for a great recipe–and an excuse to buy maple sugar!

Excellent, Donna – improvisation is the mother of great new recipes. Thanks for checking in – PJH

10. Kathy

The recipe in the directions section calls for honey yet there is no honey listed in the ingredients. Please Help!
    Thanks, Kathy

Thanks, Kathy – I’ll fix it. No honey is correct. The honey was in an earlier version. PJH

11. Tom

The bread looks wonderful. I’ve been wanting something very similar. (lowering voice to a whisper) But, I don’t care for maple flavor. Yes, I have made the pilgrimage to VT and I have tasted the real thing. How about substituting honey or golden syrup? Same amounts?

Keep up the great work! When I check-in with the Blog I frequently end up daydreaming about how fantastic it would be to work in the test kitchen.

Tom
    Hi Tom, No need to whisper, it’s okay to not like certain flavors (says she who doesn’t like coffee). The honey or golden syrup would be fine, just keep in mind that the sugar content is not quite the same, so the flavors will be more subtle and the bread may take slightly longer to rise.

As for your daydream, we are currently looking for a Baker’s Hotline team member. Come on down and check it out! ~ MaryJane

12. gail

This recipe looks fantastic and I will be making it soon. One thing I noticed, in the printable version you have the yeast listed and when to add it but in your instructions with pictures I can’t see where you have added the yeast.
    Gail

Hi Gail,
    The yeast is added at the same time as the flour, as it is instant yeast. The photo shows the dough already mixed, so you can’t see the yeast itself. ~MaryJane

13. Nancy

I love this recipe! I’ve made it with strong coffee substituted for the hot water, and added walnuts — YUM! One of my favorite breads to make!

14. skeptic7

What is in maple flavor? Could I use it in sugarless bread? I have friends who are diabetic.

Hi there,
    We don’t have information on the sugar content of the maple flavor, if any, but you can contact the manufacturer @ 1-800-965-0665. I hope it helps.
    ~ MaryJane

15. AmyEmilia

Well, I’ve got the maple syrup, but no maple flavoring… will mine just be more subtle? Or should I just wait until I have the maple flavoring…

Another thought would be to substitute my favorite Lyle’s Golden Syrup. Equal quanities, do you think?

Also I do all my breadmaking in my Breadman Ultimate, purchased from King Arthur in about 2000. Another poster mentioned just using the weighted measures for the dry ingredients. Is that the best way?

You can certainly make the recipe without the flavoring, and yes it will be more subtle in flavor. Do try the Golden syrup in the same quantity. We were discussing it earlier today and thinking it would be a nice, mellow flavor in an oatmeal bread.
    For measuring, weighing your ingredients is the most accurate way to measure, regardless of mixing method.
    ~MaryJane

16. Tiny Banquet

This looks terrific – I’m can’t wait to try it. It would be great for breakfast but I suspect it would be amazing for grilled cheese sandwiches too.
    I like Grade B syrup very much for the intensity of its flavor and it’s unfortunate that many stores don’t even stock it. I can find it easily enough in NYC (sometimes even at the farmers’ market) but in other places the choices are often one type of Grade A syrup and several varieties of the fake stuff. Maybe Grade B needs a new name, like how the prune industry tried to re-brand prunes as dried plums. I think people are too inclined to see a syrup labeled Grade B as inferior in some way.

I agree: Grade B says “second-rate,” when in reality, I don’t care for the Grade A and “fine amber” and all that stuff; it just tastes wan and weak to me, compared to Grade B, which is dark and strong and assertive and JUST RIGHT for both baking and pancakes. Maybe they should just be “light maple” and “dark maple,” since that’s really what they are, in color and flavor both. PJH

17. Elizabeth

can I use maple syrup to brush dough before baking (don’t have maple sugar…. only A and B syrup…

Elizabeth

Sure, Elizabeth. But I’d brush it on 5 minutes before the end of the baking time – that way it won’t darken your crust too much. You could also mix some syrup with some brown sugar, for a tiny bit of crunch. I think either would be fine. – PJH

18. Erie

Is there any yeast in this bread? You mention the yeast but add it nowhere in according to the text.
    I love reading this blog, it often gives me inspiration to bake. Now only find the time to bake….
    One other question/comment on your list of where you can find KAF I can not see of the store carries whole wheat flour or not. How can I find that out other than going to the store and see they only carry the A/P flour.

Thanks for alerting me to that, Erie – I’ve fixed the blog instructions to include when to add the yeast. As for the availability of our flours in grocery stores, your best bet is to call the store and ask to speak to the grocery manager. He or she can tell you specifically which King Arthur flours they carry. We actually don’t know, store to store, what everyone carries, as it’s up to each individual store manager what to stock. PJH

19. Hope

My daughter loves making bread machine breads at college and was delighted with your maple bread mix recently. After she raved, I decided to modify my own oatmeal bread to include maple – quite fun to see this post which is very similar to mine accept I use a higher proportion of oats.
    Re: the writer concerned about maple extract for people with diabetes, I am a certified diabetes educator so perhaps can help. Most extracts don’t have sweetener or sugar in them but even if this one did, the amount per serving would be insignificant and not effect blood sugar. Today’s guidelines for diabetes management encourage people to eat a wide variety of food with attention to weight control and being moderate about carbohydrates (but not necessary to eliminate any particular carbs, even modest amounts of sugar can be OK if the rest of the meal is low enough in carb) Exercise can really help to lower blood sugar so a brisk spring walk after the lovely maple toast would be good! It’s so nice that you are thinking about your friend’s health before you bake:)

Thanks, Hope, for the good information. The maple flavor is simply that “natural maple flavor.” No sugar. But even if there was, it would be an insignificant amount, when used in a recipe. Thanks again – PJH

20. LindyD

Beautiful bread, but as high winds here in the North Woods gather to roar into the area, bringing blowing snow and power outages, what really caught my eye were the crocuses. Sigh….

Well, we’re still covered in snow, Lindy – but there’s a little tiny strip along my foundation (obviously where the heat is escaping) where the flowers are actually coming up. One thing about spring – it WILL get to you, sooner or later. Hang in there… PJH

21. Nancy

Well, I made the bread with sugarless pancake syrup and maple flavoring.
    My husband is prediabetic. I remembered, that you added a TBL spoon of baking powder in the hot cross buns to achieve a better rise. I did this and the rise was outstanding.

Well, excellent, Nancy – glad to hear it worked out well for you. And the baking powder, too – I wouldn’t have thought of that – thanks! PJH

22. Sue E. Conrad

Hot-diggety-dog, Grade B syrup is/will be available!!!!! Thought I’d have to wait until our annual trip to VT to buy it. I have recipes for maple-cider vinaigrette (light and dee-licious on salads), maple-bourbon glaze (absolutely fantastic on chicken or pork), and maple-oatmeal cookies, all made so-o-o much better with Grade B. Nevertheless, the maple bread will be added to my recipe book………..but I’m hoping I can make it mostly by hand as my trusty 1970-era KitchenAid stand mixer must continue waiting in the wings until we move off the boat.

23. Kim

I saw your Maple Shortbread cookie recipe and wondered if you could think of a filling that is maple flavored to put in the middle. I use to buy cookies like this, kind of like the middle of an Oreo. Michigan has good maple syrup also, I grew up seeing the smoke rising from the “sugar shacks”, as we called them. I love maple candy also, if you have a recipe for this too I would love it.

No maple candy recipe, Kim, but you could try the vanilla filling from the Faux-Reo cookies, adding some maple sugar or maple syrup plus maple flavor… You could also use just plain maple cream or maple butter, which are maple syrup whipped till it’s spreadable. Now THAT wuld be deluxe!! PJH

24. Alison

Do you think this would work in a bread machine (not just the dough, the whole cycle?) I could brush on the topping during the baking time. I bake solely in my old Welbilt!

Actually, I do think this might be a good candidate for your Welbilt (and yes, that is an OLD machine, isn’t it?!). Give it a try – it should work. PJH

25. Lee

This sounds so good I can smell it already just reading about it! I bet it would make great french toast – we like to put nutmeg and cinnamon in our egg mix when we make it. The maple bread would be another layer of flavor. mmmmm!
    Also wanted to give a shout out to my favorite KA maple recipe – the Maple granola from p.25 in the whole grain cookbook. Lately I’ve been using toasted hazelnuts and dried cherries and that is a great combo with the maple too!!

Lee, thanks for reminding me about that granola – I should blog that sometime. I LOVE that recipe – so versatile, and the perfect texture/crunchiness. YUM. Toasted hazelnuts and dried cherries sound like a great combination – thanks for sharing. PJH

26. Donna

I don’t have any maple flavoring. Can I substitute more maple syrup, grade B. This would give me 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tsp of maple syrup

Yes, you may subsitute maple syrup for the flavoring. The maple flavoring gives you more of a maple flavor then subsituting syrup for it but this is a nice recipe and you will still have a nice maple flavored loaf of bread. Joan@bakershotline

Donna, no need to add an additional 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup – it won’t change the flavor. Without the maple flavor, the loaf will have a very, VERY faint maple flavor indeed, but as Joan said, will still be a nice loaf of bread. PJH

27. Elizabeth

PJ .. Just had to tell you about my trauma-based Maple Bread….Last evening I HAD to make up a batch.. too late to bake so I planned to frig it overnight.. It turned out to be a lump of dough (no rise to it) and I refused to toss it.. This a.m. I placed warm water (1/4cup) in the machine added a tea. yeast, sprinkle of sugar, milk power and gluten…

The dough (cold) I rolled into a log and cut it up with a pizza cutter and dumped it in the machine and ran it thru dough cycle. Voila.. it did rise this morning and now it’s in the oven to rise again and bake.. thought this may help newer bakers.. You don’t have to toss it if it doesn’t rise just re-do it

Absolutely right, Elizabeth – yeast dough is oh-so-forgiving, contrary to popular belief. Kudos to you for figuring out a solution! PJH

28. Mark

This sounds like a delicious bread and I think the taste could go very well with a dinner we’re hosting this weekend. It’s a good sized group and I have been asked to bake rolls. I’m wondering whether this dough has enough strength to stand on its own if I shape it in simple boules for rolls baked right on the stone. If you have an opinion, it might save me from having to do a trial run…

Yes, it’ll definitely work as rolls. It’s not really a crusty roll recipe, though; I’m wondering what might happen with a full-fat recipe baked on a stone. I think these would be better baked in a pan, to make soft-sided dinner-roll type rolls. But give it a try on the stone, let us know what happens- PJH

29. Liz

I would like to make these as miniloaves for a fundraiser. Any idea of baking time or would it be best to get an instant read thermometer for this? (I don’t have the pans yet but am thinking they might be smaller than the disposable ones you sell)

Liz, without knowing the pan size, and not having tried it, I wouldn’t know what to tell you. I’d think maybe 20 minutes to start, and then see…? Sorry I can’t be more help here. PJH

30. Nancy O'Keefe

Now that it is “March Maple Madness” would you consider posting the receipe for the Maple Spice biscotti someone spoke about recently

Well, OK – you’ve given me enough nudges. I found the recipe in my old Baking Sheet file and am making it now. Might be able to plug it in here, oh, March 22 or so…? Stay tuned… PJH

31. Vicki

I’m already planning on getting all the right maple ingredients (I only have grade A maple syrup right now). I also like the idea of these as rolls as well. But how many rolls would you divide the dough into? 12? 15? 16? Could you then just freeze half the rolls unbaked? There are only two in my household and that would make a lot of rolls at once! I’d soon look like a roll myself if I made (and ate) all of them in just a couple of days. Thanks for coming back and answering questions in the comments. It really helps me visualize and understand the baking process better.

Vicki, I SO don’t want you to look like a roll! Divide into 16 rolls for “normal” sized, 12 for more generously sized. Nestle in two 9″ round pans. Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes. For freezing, let shaped rolls rise halfway in the pan, then freeze. To bake, let thaw, allow to finish rising, and bake. (I’m assuming I don’t need to add the details here – like, cover the pan while rising, wrap with plastic to freeze, etc. All the usual instructions apply). Enjoy – PJH

32. Donna

“Tiny Bounty” suggested above that this bread might be amazing in grilled cheese sandwiches. Thanks for the inspiration! I decided to try it, with aged white cheddar, and then remembered I had some leftover pork tenderloin stuffed with apricots and pistachios. I added some of that between two layers of cheese, and spread a little dijon mustard and apricot jam on one slice before putting them together. The slightly sweet bread with its hint of maple and cinnamon worked beautifully with the rich, zesty cheddar and the pork with its fruity filling. This bread is going to become a staple at my house. I’m already thinking about making some for our church’s fall festival next year–with samples available for tasting! A slice of the toast is as good as a cinnamon roll, and a lot healthier, too.

OH – MY – GOODNESS Donna. You’re killing me… That sounds SO good. Wish I had some leftover pork tenderloin stuffed with apricots and pistachios… YUM. Thanks for the inspiration – PJH

33. Myrna

PJ: Back in 1999 I ordered from the Baker’s Catalogue an item called Maple Flavor Powder. The ingredients say it is comprised of natural and artificial maple flavor with dextrose. It says it can be stored for six months. Well, guess what, I still have some and use it in my maple flavored breads. It imparts a wonderful maple flavor (I’m somewhat of a maple freak so I like an assertive maple flavor). How would you compare this to maple extract, and would you ever consider stocking it in the future.

Myrna, I liked that, too. I’ll bring this up with our merchandising team, and see if there’s another powder we might be able to try. Coincidentally, we were taste-testing three kinds of maple chips/bits/flakes today. So we’re working on more maple stuff… PJH

34. Anne

I made this last night, and it was great! However, my loaves turned out really dense (but still quite soft and yummy, thanks to my awesome Thermapen to check for doneness)! I did a double batch, and lost my instructions before adding the yeast, so I couldn’t remember how much to add. I think the “luke warm” liquid mixture cooled down too much while I ran upstairs to look at the recipe again. Also, I melted my butter to help it mix in better. Could either of these things affect the denseness, or is it more to do with the flour quality? Also, I added dough enhancer, but wondered about adding vital wheat gluten. How much would you add to one loaf and at what stage? Would it help with the rising / result denseness? Is there a reason not to activate the yeast in the warm water, then add it? I think my warmness escaped by the time the yeast touched the liquid. Also, I used brown sugar and maple flavoring for the topping, and it was ok, but didn’t stick to the bread very well. Any suggestions for next time (aside from just buying maple sugar)? Thanks, I am excited to make it again!

Hi Anne – Well, the melted butter wouldn’t make a difference; nor would the warmth of the liquids (from lukewarm to room temperature) really be important. The point of lukewarm liquids is to speed the rise a little, and to make sure you’re not using ice-cold water/milk. As for flour quality, if you were using King Arthur, you don’t need to worry about quality; nor about adding gluten. If you weren’t using King Arthur, then I’m not sure what to say, as I don’t bake with weak (poorly milled) flours, and thus I’m not sure how to “fix” their problem by adding other stuff… You don’t need to activate (oproof) instant yeast in warm watr; however, if you were using active dry yeast, you should dissolve it in a couple of tablespoons of the lukewarm water before using. For the brown sugar and maple flavoriing, try spraying your loaf with water before sprinkling it on next time. And… I hope you try this loaf again! Good luck – PJH

35. Lorrainesfav

Wonderful bread. I made mine in the food proccessor. Easy and quick. Then kneaded a bit until smooth. It rose real fast so I had to keep an eye on it. It’s a bit warmer here in the south that up north. I ALMOST used my 9X5 pan but read the comments. The smaller pan was perfect. Nice for breakfast with toast. This morning we will use it for french toast.

36. Caryl

I made the bread yesterday and it is beautiful. DH says it is the best yet. I used Grade B syrup which is all we use here. On another note, several days ago I tried to order one of the new beater blades for my tilt-head KA. It was Item #4464 in the catalog, but the response was unknown. Have you discontinued this item?

Glad your bread was a success, Caryl. And yes, we’ve discontinued BeaterBlade for the KitchenAid, still in for the Cuisinart. There’s currently some back and forth between KitchenAid and BeaterBlade vendors about it, so while they fuss we put it on hold… PJH

37. Bill C

Will the bread suffer too much without the maple sugar (for now)?

No suffering texture-wise – just taste-wise, and it’ll still taste good, just not that maple-y. Go for it! PJH

38. Ann Ringness

I’ve made this bread in my breadmachine twice now. It has a great taste and texture but the crust is too dark even though I baked it on light crust. Any suggestions? Should the water be hot even though I make it in the machine? Thanks for your help!

Ann, keep the water hot unless you’re finding your machine over-rises the bread. As for dark crust – 5 minutes before the end of the baking cycle, open the machine and add the maple sugar glaze. That should help. Good luck – PJH

39. Janet P.

I just made this bread and while it was in the oven, the aroma just filled the house so much that as soon as it was out and yet still a little warm, my husband and I just had to taste it. WOW! It is so delicious! It was wonderful with just a little butter on the warm bread, and we were excited to use it on a turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce, cheddar cheese and bacon. Oh so fattening, but oh so good! I am so glad to have found this recipe! We are maple syrup lovers and the subtle taste of it in the bread is just delightful! I think this just might become our weekly bread! And by the way, thank you to the ones who answer emails asking questions about baking your recipes. They have always answered so fast and are so ever helpful!

40. Lish

I just made this bread again, and it comes out perfectly. I baked it last night, and sliced it this morning with some of Cabot’s new Maple Sage rubbed Cheddar. Awesome! This bread is so soft tasty and easy to slice. My kids love it, and so does my husband who isn’t always a maple fan. Can’t wait to have it with some maple bacon or sausage as a breakfast sandwich!

41. rebender

I was sitting on my couch last night going through the Bakers Companion cookbook when I came across this recipe. I love oatmeal and anything maple flavored so I just had to give this a try. The bread was still rising when my daughter asked me what I baked because she said the house smelled wonderful. I laughed and told her I haven’t even baked it yet. After it was done, I couldn’t believe it. It was by far the best bread I have made so far. The rise was perfect and the taste and smell incredible!!! I LOVE THIS BREAD!!!! I followed the recipe in the book and then found this blog this morning with different ingredients. I can’t wait to try it again using the new version. Thanks for the wonderful job you do there supplying all of us with great recipes and terrific products to make them.