Angel biscuits: Refuge for the biscuit-challenged

Pssst… I’ve never been the world’s best biscuit baker.

But I have an excuse: I’m not from the South, whence all good biscuits come.

Attention, Southern biscuit bakers: I won’t argue with you. You’ve got the biscuit thing down cold. Um, make that hot.

img_3432.JPG

The best biscuits I’ve ever had have been off Interstate 75, the main drag connecting Florida and central Georgia.

img_3406.JPG

It seems any bend in the road big enough for a gas station and a boiled peanut stand also has a little grocery store or luncheonette advertising hot biscuits.

Maybe it’s that soft Southern flour. Perhaps it’s the general air of relaxation one often finds in the Deep South; everyone knows you can’t make good biscuits with a heavy hand. But probably it’s generational memory: the practiced motions of stirring buttermilk and flour, patting dough, a twist of the wrist with the cutter. Performed over and over again throughout a lifetime, these actions become as normal as breathing.

I must say, the only other bakers I’ve found who can match those Southern cooks biscuit for biscuit are Mainers. Maine biscuits are SOME good (as we’d say in the Pine Tree State; I lived there for 15 years). And, despite my biscuit-baking shortcomings, I can bake a decent biscuit using the recipe on the back of the can of Maine Bakewell Cream.

Still, biscuits aren’t something I’ve got down pat… pat… pat.

So when I ran across this recipe for Angel Biscuits—with its assurance that “even a new bride can make them”—I took the bait. And, while they’re not true Southern biscuits—tall, light, tender—this interesting cross between a biscuit and yeast roll has its own endearing qualities.

First, it’s difficult to make these badly—it’s true, even a “new bride” could succeed here.

Second, the freshness quotient. Unlike traditional baking powder biscuits, whose peak of perfection is here and gone in the space of 20 minutes, Angel Biscuits segue smoothly from biscuit-like when hot, to soft yeast roll when cool.

Call them Southern biscuits with Northern attitude.

Or biscuits even I, a bride of 33 years, can make.

Follow along with the Angel Biscuits recipe as you look at these pictures.

img_4727.JPG

First, mix together flour, instant yeast, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the shortening and butter, which you’ve cut into pats or chunks.

img_4728.JPG

Mix until unevenly crumbly.

img_4734.JPG

Add room-temperature milk. Cold milk will slow down the yeast. Warm milk will melt the fat. Room temperature is best.

img_4735.JPG

Mix quickly and thoroughly.

img_4736.JPG

A Danish dough whisk works beautifully.

img_4737.JPG

Notice how the wet dough doesn’t stick in the loops of the whisk.

img_6052.JPG

Flour your work surface heavily. A rolling mat makes cleanup easy.

img_6054.JPG

Dump the sticky dough onto the floured surface, and sprinkle a bit more flour on top.

img_6055.JPG

Gently pat the dough till it smooths out, lifting it to sprinkle more flour underneath if it starts to stick. I rely on my giant spatula for the heavy lifting.

img_6056.JPG

Give the top of the dough a few quick swipes with a rolling pin to smooth it out, if you like.

img_6057.JPG

The dough should be about 3/4” thick.

img_6058.JPG

Use a 2” round biscuit cutter to cut biscuits.

img_6059.JPG

You’ll have scraps left over.

img_6060.JPG

Gently gather them and shape into an oblong that’s as wide as your cutter. That way, you can pretty much cut the dough without having to re-roll it yet again.

img_6062.JPG

Space the biscuits on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Cover them and let them rest for an hour. You won’t notice any rise, but the yeast is doing its work nonetheless.

After an hour, place the pan of biscuits into the freezer for an hour. Can you bake without freezing first? Of course. Frozen biscuits will bake up somewhat higher than fresh, due to the higher melting point of the fat, which lets the biscuits rise and set before the fat melts.

img_6063.JPG

When you’re ready to bake them, brush each biscuit with melted butter, if desired. This will give the biscuits added flavor (as well as a slightly speckled top—caveat emptor).

img_6064.JPG

Here they are, ready to go into the oven.

img_6065.JPG

Place the biscuits in a 400°F oven.

img_6067.JPG

Fifteen minutes later, they’re starting to brown.

img_6069.JPG

Remove them from the oven when they’re golden.

img_4762.JPG

Notice the distinctly yeast roll-like texture of this hybrid.

img_4730.JPG

OK, side trip: What happens if you add chips? I decided to find out. In the front, cinnamon chips. Behind them, cinnamon Flav-R-Bites. To the right, chocolate chips.

img_4738.JPG

I divided the dough into four pieces—like Gaul, for you Roman history scholars. Each of three pieces got chips; the fourth was the chip-less control.

img_4741.JPG

Pat and smooth…

img_4745.JPG

Divide into biscuits…

img_4746.JPG

Square biscuits are just as good as round, albeit not quite as traditional.

img_4752.JPG

I decided to top some with Cinnamon-Sugar Plus, our “gritless” cinnamon-sugar blend.

After that, into the freezer for an hour.

img_4753.JPG

Here they are after about 16 minutes in the oven.

img_4755.JPG

Very tasty; I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to add chips to my angel biscuits.

img_6035.JPG

Here’s the result of an experiment I did along the way. The biscuit on the left is all-butter. On the right, part butter, part shortening. Shortening, with its higher melting point, definitely helps these biscuits rise higher.

img_4791.JPG

Another experiment. The biscuit on the left was baked immediately after being shaped. On the right, frozen for 60 minutes, then baked. Freezing accomplishes much the same thing that shortening (vs. butter) does; it keeps the fat in solid form long enough for the biscuits to rise and set, before the fat melts.

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Angel Biscuits.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Stop & Shop Supermarket, Braintree, MA: Bakery Shop Biscuits, 50¢ each

Bake at home: Angel Biscuits, 12¢ each

comments

1. Cassidy

If you must know, the secret to a tasty southern biscuit is lots of lard…essentially the same principles at work in your butter vs. shortening experiments, but lard makes a fluffy, flaky biscuit like no substitute can. Nice looking Angel biscuits, though! I might have to try them out…

2. Amber

I love all of the different experiments you did. I will definitely try them and let you know how it goes! Thanks for all of the great recipes.

3. Christine

should I defrost the biscuits for a few minutes at room temperature or can I just pop them into the oven right out of the freezer?

Right out of the freezer is fine, Christine. In fact, preferred; keeps that fat solid longer, so the biscuits can set. PJH

4. cosima

OMGsh! These look so delish.. now let’s see, what goes with biscuits? Where’s that venison sausage and country gravy recipe?…………….

5. skeptic7

Looks wonderful! Do you have a whole wheat variant? Does the baking powder give it a bitter taste as compared to an all yeast recipe?

No bitter taste; but then, my palate isn’t particularly refined. You could try white whole wheat flour, but the biscuits will be harder and heavier, I suspect – no problem, so long as you manage your expectations and don’t think you’ll get the same texture/taste as you would with all-purpose flour. PJH

6. Matt

As always, I feel compelled to play science geek (don’t hate me):

Freezing the biscuits doesn’t actually change the melting point of the fat; it just takes frozen fat longer to melt than room-temperature fat. When the fat is cold, the flour doesn’t absorb it. The cold fat then separates layers of flour from each other, and that promotes flakiness and layers when you bake it up.

I could describe this better if I weren’t half asleep. :-) But yeah, start with cold butter and shortening, freeze it for a while, and you’ll get flakier bakies. Warmer or melted fat produces richness but not flakiness or layers.

(It’s obvious this is what PJ meant. I’m just a science geek.)

Thanks, SG! You’re absolutely right, and gave a great explanation. Same deal with pie crust – although pie crust doesn’t really rise, keeping those layers of fat solid longer promotes flakiness – right? Hey, I’m always happen to learn, and it’s one of the reasons I value this online community so much – we can all teach one another. So thanks again, Matt – for your early morning lesson. PJH

7. Rachel

This has always confused me about American baking — why do you call these things “Angel Biscuits”, when the rest of the world calls them scones (ok, scones traditionally shouldn’t have yeast in it, but these would be fairly close to scones made with lemonade). And then what you call scones are some strange slice/cake hybrid. And then there is the whole cookie/biscuit argument. (OK, I’ll admit I know cookie came from the Dutch word koekje (not sure if I spelt that right), which got corrupted into cookie)

So is there any reason why? I know the spelling differences (i.e. colour/color) is due to Webster deciding that English could be spelt properly, but is there any reason due to different names for fairly common baked items

Rachel, why do you call dessert, pudding? I guess the same “reason” we call a scone a biscuit, eh? And make scones into a “strange slice/cake hybrid.” Fascinating the way food (and its nomenclature) evolves over centuries and miles. I say, no one is right – or wrong. Just different. So, vive la difference! PJH

8. Martie

One of the reasons angel biscuits are so popular in the South is that they can be baked and frozen in advance: that’s why they (made small, split and stuffed) appear so often at social functions and in so many church and Junior League cookbooks.

9. Becca

PJ, these biscuits look yummy. I’ve never heard of putting yeast into biscuits, but that must be the influence of my Louisiana grandmother and mother telling me that biscuits are little more than butter, flour, salt, buttermilk, and baking powder. And I’m a bit of a Roman history buff, so I’ll correct you there–Gaul was divided into three parts. :)

10. Lish

I can’t wait to try these. I have never had good luck with biscuits either. I can make homemade croissants, yeast bread, etc, but not biscuits.

Also, the person who asked about the bitterness of baking powder, the bitterness comes from aluminum in the baking powder, so if you purchase aluminum free baking powder you will not have a bitter taste.

Also, can you store these unbaked in the freezer for longer, and only bake a few at a time?

Sure, Lish – freeze for up to a couple of months, bake at will. And thanks for reminding me about the aluminum – I never taste it, because I always use aluminum-free baking powder. PJH

11. laura p

I cheat a bit. I make my Alabama grandmother’s “Hardee’s Biscuits” recipe – mix up the dry, cut in the shortening, then throw it in the freezer until I want biscuits. I then measure it out, add cool buttermilk, cut and immediately bake. I hadn’t thought to do a control. Once this heat wave ends I’ll have to find time to make some good ol’ fashioned southern biscuits and compare to your delish-looking recipe!

12. Mike T.

Back on the English/American bit…

Does anyone know why we have both “frosting” and “icing”? I used to think frostings had heated elements in it and icing didn’t, but later I found out that wasn’t it…

13. Beverly

These look great. How much of the chips would suggest incorporating into these biscuits?

As much as you want, Beverly. Let your (diet) conscience be your guide. If you’re not a casual-type baker, try adding 1 cup to start, see how you like that amount. PJH

14. Sue

A number of years ago I printed off a recipe from a Texas newspaper (an online version). The article that accompanied the recipe told the story of one of the last visits by a woman to her mother who was dying, and not eating. The daughter of course wanted her mother to eat and would have made her anything she requested. She requested angel biscuits. So, I think angel biscuits have a place in the hearts of Southerners and your effort to make angel biscuits would be appreciated even by those whose hand may be lighter and more experienced at making Southern style biscuits. Being the experienced baker you are no doubt these biscuits are fantastic.
    Now I wonder if I can find that recipe!? I’ll be sure to print off yours so I can make them some day.

15. Bunny

These are fantastic and I’ll be making them tomorrow. I’m so glad you did the side by side comparisions so we could see the difference between freezing and not freezing before they’re baked. It was it’s very helpful! Adding the chips is genius!!

16. Beth

My Southern husband (Shenandoah Valley, VA) always raved about his mom’s biscuits until he tried the ones I made with Bakewell Cream. They are the best hands down. Lately, I’ve started mixing butter and lard in my biscuits, sometimes even will beat up an egg in a measuring cup and mix it with buttermilk before I add the liquid to the dry ingredients. Just last week, I tried a new recipe from “The Breakfast Book” (gone brain dead all of a sudden, can’t think of the author’s first name – The Fannie Farmer Lady – Ms. Cunningham), and it calls for rolled oats. They were great. It appeared to be a basic biscuit recipe, but it was amazing what the addition of oats did to the recipe. I haven’t made angel biscuits for awhile. These sure do look good. Thanks, PJ, for all the experimenting. And hey – someone send some cold weather back down here to ol’ Virginny. Moooooooo!!!

That would be Marion. And, Beth – it was 87°F here today. I’ll have to try those oat biscuits, for sure. MOOOOOOOOO indeed! PJH

17. Anne

In answer to Rachel, I don’t think it’s surprising that our baking has evolved differently here. Once you leave New England, it’s a LOT hotter here than it is in most of Europe. Quick breads were a lot less of a killer proposition in the hot Southern summer than yeast breads would have been. Grains and flours were different, too, in those long-ago days. Just think of all the breads, puddings, and desserts we still make with corn meal. And spices and other prized ingredients–even white sugar–were scarce and expensive. Imagine all the homesick cooks, and not only English but German, Dutch, Irish, Spanish, Scandinavian, trying to re-create the baked goods of their Old World homes with the ingredients on hand in the New World. It’s pretty natural and understandable that American cooks developed their own baked goods and the vocabulary to describe them.

I have a 1930′s vintage Williamsburg cook book of Colonial and 19th Century recipes adapted for modern kitchens. It seems pretty clear from that book that the English-descended cooks in Virginia didn’t refer to “cookies” as either “cookies” OR “biscuits.” There were light cakes, small cakes, little-cakes-cut-off (petticoat tails), or jumbles.

Interesting, Anne – the earliest Fannie Farmer books (which actually didn’t include the name “Fannie Farmer”) refer to cookies the same way: as “small cakes.” I was puzzled, looking in the index for cookies, not to find any. Then I realized they were part of the cake section. Thanks for your thoughtful, informative answer – you paint a great picture of the collision of culinary cultures here, and its resulting effect on the language of cooking. PJH

18. Tom

Seeing the Angel Biscuits with chips reminds me of a breakfast bread we had at a B&B in Victoria, BC. It was basically the same recipe, but instead of yeast they used a herman-type starter. They weren’t sweet, but rather sweetish and had cinnamon and 70% cacao chocolate chips. Very good. -Wingboy

19. Ashley

My secret to southern biscuits is very very cold butter, self rising flour, and working the dough quickly before the butter melts.

20. Lorrainesfav

You don’t have to be from the south to make the best biscuits. Although I didn’t learn to make biscuits until I moved to Florida 25 years ago, I do make great biscuits. For such simple ingredients, the technique is what makes a great biscuit. I did a lot of testing. I am a true fan of King Arthur Flours but when it comes to biscuits, White Lilly flour gets the best results. Also..don’t twist the cutter; one smooth cut will produce taller biscuits. I do use a combo of butter and shortening and buttermilk. I do bake at 400 degrees to get the best rise too. There is nothing better than a good biscuit.

21. Melissa in Montreal

Thanks for another stimulating and inspiring recipe. I had a few questions:

Which cinnamon chips were “best” in this recipe? I know you’ve explained the differences in previous blog posts, but I always think of ordering them and am not sure which I should use for which type of baked good. I think most cinnamon scones I’ve purchase in coffee shops use the drier (non-melting) type.

Hardees restaurants used to serve cinnamon biscuits… but if I recall correctly, they were made with cinnamon filling between layers- or swirled in, but were still cut and baked like biscuits and covered in icing. Very tasty. Not quite sure how they did it; I’ll have to experiment.

And I have a question about lard… since I’m fascinated but fearful of it. Once you buy a tub of lard and open it, do you need to refrigerate it – and how long would an open tub keep? I am not sure if it is just like shortening or if it goes bad faster.

We only offer one type of cinnamon chips and they just melt a little.
    To make filled biscuits you could use our cinnamon filling and put some on half of your rolled out biscuit dough-cover with the rest of your biscuit dough then cut and bake.
    As for your lard question I can not help you as I have never used lard-but as it is an animal fat-I would only purchase refrigerated lard and store it in the refrigerator. Joan@bakershotline

22. Liliana Szachury

Hi everybody!!!
    I will make this beautiful recipe as soon as possible!!! they look great and delicious!!! as always king’s Arthurs chefs bakers you are the best!!!

23. Kristi

Oh I feel so inspired…I’ve been such a failure with biscuits. They always turn out like hockey pucks. One tip I learned which DID help me was to NOT TWIST the cookie cutter as I pressed down through the dough. I heard that this “seals” the dough and prevents it from rising up in fluffy layers. Now that I’ve got the freeze first before baking tip up my sleeve I think I’ll be ok! Thanks for the recipe and advice!

24. Becky

Thanks for the recipe and the tips. My nephew (David is in the 8th grade) and I were having a lengthy conversation about biscuits just this weekend and I was lamenting my flat, “hockey puck” biscuits. He must have a lighter hand than I because he has good luck with his and was attempting to share some tips and tricks with me. Imagine the surprise of seeing this blog this very week and feeling that there is hope to produce a wonderful, light and flaky biscuit, even for me! I can’t wait to share the recipe with him and see what he thinks of it. Biscuit-baking blood does not run through our Minnesota veins, so we can use all the help we can get.

Becky, I want to manage your expectations: this doesn’t make a typical light, tall, flaky biscuit. It’s a biscuit/yeast roll clone – tender, tasty, but not particularly high rising, with a bit of chew, rather than crumble… Tell David THANK YOU for carrying the baking tradition into the next generation! PJH

25. Libby

I think Melissa from Montreal was asking which was better to use, the cinnamon chips or the cinnamon Flav-R-Bites. If that was not what she meant, I am asking! I have bought the Flav-R-Bites and really like them and have seen them used locally in scones.

Better, will be up to your opinion. Cinnamon chips will melt in the bisquits, leaving little pools of soft cinnamon flavor. Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites will soften a bit and leave a burst of cinnamon flavor with a crisp texture. Pick one or blend them for the ultimate cinnamon bisquit. Experiment, have fun. Frank @ KAF.

26. Jeanette

For the question about lard:

I always refrigerate my lard. I mainly use it for pie crust so it needs to be cold anyway. But lard does keep at cool room temperatures fairly well. When I was a kid on the farm we bought lard in 2 gallon cans and it sat in our storage room. In the summer it would become partially liquefied. We would put some in our ‘lard bowl’ and stick it in the refrigerator to get hard so that we could use it for pie crust, etc. anything that required cutting the lard into flour.

All lard is not created equally. I have been buying lard in the grocery for years (Emge or Armour). It stays partially solid at room temperatures. Last year I purchased some recently rendered lard in an Amish grocery and it was lighter and appeared to liquefy at a higher temperature (I didn’t do any rigorous testing). It was almost translucent. The Amish lard made great tasting pie crust but the dough was more difficult to work with. I don’t know if the ‘store’ lard is partially hydrogenated to make it stay solid at room temp. I don’t have a package near so that I can read the label.

27. Natalie

As a life long “Westerner” (CO and WA), Angel Biscuits have been on the table since I was a girl, and are a staple for my family. When I was a new bride and had no biscuit cutters, I started rolling the dough into a rough rectangle – and making quick passes with a pizza cutter. Square biscuits, no waste, no re-rolling…

28. Linda

Hello All – First I want to say that I live in the south (Dallas, TX). My mother made home-made biscuits without a recipe for 8 people for about 30 years. Like her I make home-made biscuits as well. I have several recipes for biscuits that I love and that work very well. And several versions of Angle Biscuits. My granddaughter (8 years old) and I make them at least once a month. I am saying all of this to let everyone know it isn’t hard. The difference in what I do and what I see in your pictures is: I have never used a mixer, and usually not unbleached flour. While there is flour like White Lily and Pillsbury that we use in the south, I use Gold Medal all-purpose flour (I know, that a bad word to you). And would NEVER use a mixer for anything regarding making a biscuit. The trick in making a biscuit is the same a making muffins – you work quickly and do not over-mix. The dough resting is a good idea, works well for piecrust also. In the meantime, I look forward to trying this recipe.

And Linda, I’ll try not using a mixer (though it flies in the face of my inherent laziness!) I must say though, I’ll be using King Arthur Flour, not Gold Medal – as you infer, I don’t go there (to the bleach)! Thanks for connecting- PJH

29. Janene

I will definitely have to try these! I have done well with yeast breads, cookies, cakes, etc. but not biscuits. I must confess that when I make biscuits & gravy I buy the frozen Pillsbury biscuits, which aren’t bad. But they do not compare to a lovely, homemade biscuit!

30. Kimberly D

You can buy butter shortening, could you use this and replace the vegetable shortening and butter? If so would I just use 1/2 cup of it?

You could definitely do that. I’d cut back on the shortening by about a tablespoon, since shortening is a higher percentage of fat than butter. PJH

31. Pam

I love Angel biscuits. I mix a batch and keep them in a covered bowl in the ‘frig. I scoop out a large spoonful and put it onto a piece of parchment paper. top with melted butter, a sprinkle of raw sugar and bake on a hot pizza stone. Split and add strawberries and whip cream!

My recipe uses buttermilk and suggests keeping in the ‘frig for up to week. For single woman, it makes it possible to have fresh shortcake every evening that I am home. My personal spring celebration!

Oh boy, Pam – that sounds wonderful. Thanks for the good idea! PJH

32. Amber

These look so tasty! I think we’re going to conduct our own experiment this weekend to see what we like best. I don’t know if anyone has asked, but do you have to use vegetable shortening? If not, what can you substitute? More butter?

Amber, if you read all the way to the end, you’ll see the butter vs. shortening experiment. You can certainly use all butter; the biscuits will just be flatter. Good luck with your experiment! PJH

33. Maureen

This looks delicious! I’ll be trying it this weekend. And I hate to nitpick, but I had years of Latin drilled into me: Gaul is divided into 3 parts ;)

You’re right, Maureen – I got waylaid by this:

“In 27 BC the Roman emperor Augustus divided Gaul into four administrative regions: Gallia Narbonensis, extending from the Alps to the Cévennes…”

Can’t believe everything you read via Google, eh? PJH

34. Shannon

It’s funny how some people have a knack with baked goods and some don’t. I’ve always had unbelieveable skill at baking in general. It’s effortless to me, always has been.
    My father still talks of the time he bought lard and such to make biscuts and let me do most of the work (at 9?) and brings it up at every op. “oh man….you make the BEST biscuts kiddo”
    LOL.

I can make a piecrust without any effort, the filling however has caused me more trouble. hahhaa….

I can make bread out of nothing, cakes, cookies, pies, biscuts, and I don’t even own a mixer, rolling pin, etc!

Wish I knew what the diff was, but I think you are right, there has to be some sort of skill you are born with that gives you a light hand in baked goods. I’m not even sure i could make a failure if I *tried*
    I’d gladly share the skill if I knew how I actually accomplished it!

Kudos to you and your success. My biscuit attempt at the same age yielded hockey-puck results which my Dad has never let me forget. Think of your skill as a gift and continue sharing your success with your family and others! Irene at KAF

35. GENEVIEVE WARREN

Well all look so good especially the sugar and cinnamon ones!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not have time to bake, but I do love to bake and those biscuits do look good.>>>>>>>>>>>>>I can smell them from my comPuter screen!!!!

I will try them one day, I must!!!!!!

GENEVIEVE

36. PJM

On the subject of shortening vs. butter: If you’re concerned about trans fat and have access to a good natural foods store, you might try Earth Balance shortening. I use it combined with butter for pie crust and biscuits. It’s completely natural but works in pastry just as well as Crisco does. I have not had the same experience with the all-palm shortenings you find on the shelf at natural food stores. Only Earth Balance has worked well for me; it is refrigerated, usually near the butter.

37. Audrey from Michigan

To Melissa from Montreal: I worked for Hardee’s for many years and started as a biscuit maker. We mixed our own batches by hand back then. Ice cold buttermilk, flour, shortening, a “biscuit kit” and then for cinnamon raisin biscuits we added a box of raisins and frozen cinnamon. The cinnamon was like sheets that were all broken up that came in a box in the freezer. Whenever I smell buttermilk to this day I think of sticking my hands into that freezing dough at 3 or 4 in the morning. :) Several years later they had everything pre mixed. Then they had the premade biscuits.

38. Sonia

(Anxious to prove that I still remember some of the Latin I learned in school, back in England: “Gallia omnes in tres partes divisa est.” Yes, we had to memorize big chunks of Julius Caesar, in Latin. One of those things that stayed stuck in my head, even after 40 years!)

And yum, the biscuits look great. Since I’m a new stand mixer owner, my issue is knowing what speed to use for various concoctions. Any general guidelines?

Sonia, I use the slowest speed for mixing butter/flour for biscuits/scones. The next speed up for cookies, bread dough, etc. the high speed only for creaming butter/sugar, whipping egg whites, etc.

Why do I only remember “Auricirra et des tribus ursulis” – Goldilocks and the Three Bears? :) PJH

39. DebM

Can you leave these in the freezer longer than an hour? Like overnight? It would be nice to be able to just get up in the morning and pop them into the oven. I’v never tried angel biscuits before-I used to make pretty good “southern-style” biscuits from scratch but defected to the Bisquick variety long ago as they seem to turn out light and fluffy everytime-and are really easy-don’t throw rocks at me :-)!
    Deb

Sure, Deb, freeze for up to a couple of months, I’d say. And, I never throw rocks – maybe cream puffs… But people who use Jell-O sugar-free instant pudding and Marshmallow Fluff in their baking (that would be me) would NEVER throw rocks at a Biaquick user! :) PJH

40. SusanM

I live in Washington DC, and can no longer find access to Southern-style soft flour for my biscuits and scones. I have earbed a reputation as a good cook by those scones and biscuits, Bur now, with White Lily gone and Balducci’s going (It had an Italian soft flour, which was not too bad a substitute, I don’t know where to turn. King Arthurs has based its reputation on the hard side of flour – could you be persuaded to underwrite some soft-flour growing to suit those of us who COUNT on soft, white flour? King Arthur, please, please take up the slack!I know your New England root – I share them. BUT, if there’s one thing the South is properly known for, it’s its baked good – the kind the requires soft flour – there’s a big market out there, King Arthur – without that flour the South will NEVER rise again! Laughing in pain – Susan M

Hi Susan – Have you tried our pastry flour, or Mellow Pastry Blend? Those are both low-protein (soft) flours. If you want a lower-protein, bleached flour, you might even try our Queen Guinevere cake flour, which is bleached like your soft Southern flours. Good luck – PJH

41. Sarau

Thank you to King Arthur Flour for having this website and esp. thank you for this blog! I loved reading all the comments from your chefs/bakers and the readers, too. I believe I learned a lot today . . . I have a question, too. Sorry, it hasn’t anything to do w/these lovely looking biscuits (no doubt I’ll be trying them soon), was wondering if you can use a stand mixer dough hook to do all your kneading? I have trouble w/my hands, so would love to skip this process if it wouldn’t hurt the final product.

Sure, Sarau, I use a stand mixer most of the time. Not a problem. Most yeast breads I knead about 7 minutes at one speed up from low… PJH

42. Cindy Young

As to the lard questions… When I buy lard, I split it into manageable portions, say 1# pieces and wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it. I keep a pound in the fridge in a sealed tub (it can develop off flavors, just like butter) and replenish it as needed. That way I always have it on hand when I need it. I use a combo of crisco and lard in my pie crusts and biscuits. Lard has taken a pretty hard knock in the press, but if you consider all things in moderation, it’s natural, flavorful, versatile & cost effective. I’m not saying go Lardo (Lard Gung-Ho), but use it on occasion as your diet allows.

My mom tells me that as a poor Kansas farmer kid , they ate lard & sugar sandwiches during the depression. All of my grandparents lived well into their 90′s so lard consumption was probably not a factor. In the words of Emmeril Lagasse “pork fat rules!”

43. Sara J.

I also end up with “hockey pucks” when I try making biscuits, so have deferred to my husband. He makes them fast, easy with Bisquick (sorry, KAF). This recipe, not only, looks good but, manageable for those of us that don’t have a light hand when making biscuits. Will give it a try as soon as I can pick up the necessary ingredients. Thanks for all the comments. I just discovered this website about a month ago and love the recipes and all the blogs from everyone. Happy baking!

44. Chloe Manning

Just wondering… the recipe you link to has you mix the yeast with water and 1/4 cup flour before adding it to the biscuit dough, but the above pictures show you just mixing the dry yeast in with the dry ingredients in the beginning. Which method is correct??
    If you are using active dry yeast you mix it with the water and flour but if you are using instant yeast add it to your dry ingredients. Joan@bakerhotline

45. dryneth

I’d like to try adding Vermont Cheddar Cheese powder to this recipe–any tips for the amount to use, and will I need to change any other ingredients to keep it from being too dry?
    That sounds delicious! I would try substituting 2 tablespoons of flour for 2 tablespoons of the Vermont Cheddar Cheese powder and see how you like it! Happy Baking! ~Mel

46. leedann99

I made a batch of these yesterday and baked a couple of them this morning. These are the first biscuits I’ve ever made that I wasn’t ashamed of, and actually they were great! Mine began to brown a bit much on the bottom before the tops did, so next time I will move my tray to the top rack in the oven. The photos helped so much. I have always had a hard time with the “leave the dough alone” warning. I couldn’t keep my hands off of the shaggy dough before – wanted to knead it.

Thank you so much!!!

Great to hear – biscuits can be tricky, but they’re SOOOO good, hot out of the oven, when done right. Glad we could help – PJH

47. HSA

I inadvertently froze mine immediately without letting them rest. Will this significantly impact rising? Would letting them sit overnight covered in refrigerator be a good idea?

The resting period would have allowed the yeast to convert sugars in the flour into gases that would help leaven the biscuits. Your biscuits will still be raised by the baking powder, and by steam given off from the biscuit’s butter during the bake. I wouldn’t suggest putting the biscuits in the refrigerator. The frozen biscuits should still rise pretty well.~Jaydl@KAF