Zo, what’s up? Peach cobbler, creamy risotto, Sloppy Joes…

img_7460.JPG

Warning: this is a shameless (but oh-so-true) plug for the Zojirushi bread machine.

I love my Zojirushi because I use it to knead bread dough, and it does the job more thoroughly (and produces a higher-rising loaf) than kneading by hand or stand mixer. I love it because the non-stick bucket rinses clean so easily. And because I can add the ingredients, press a button, walk away, and come back 90 minutes later to a smooth, elastic, beautifully risen ball of dough, ready to be shaped into pizza crust, rolls, sticky buns, sandwich bread…

So what’s with the peach cobbler?

img_7501.JPG

And the creamy Parmesan risotto with peas?

img_7673.JPG

And how about this overstuffed Sloppy Joe?

img_8024.JPG

Introducing your new best friend in the kitchen: the Zo CEC20, (dough kneader extraordinaire, bread-baking machine without compare, and now: The Little Oven That Could.

If you have a Zo CEC20 (or older X20), and you’ve never used it for anything but yeast dough, you’re missing a huge portion of its potential. Your Zo can make anything from chocolate cake to beef stew to classic mac and cheese to coconut rice pudding. And artichoke dip. And pumpkin bisque. And…

Keep reading. The following recipes for peach cobbler, Parmesan risotto, and Sloppy Joes are examples of how you can take your Zo X20 way beyond bread. You won’t find them in our online recipe section; because they’re so specialized, they’re only for readers of this blog.

So, let’s start with this tempting, easy peach cobbler.

img_7506.JPG

The heart of your cobbler is a heaping 4 cups of sliced peaches, about 2 pounds. Since fresh peach season is so short, I often find myself resorting to two 1-pound bags of frozen peaches—which do just fine in any kind of baked peach dessert. I sometimes use canned peaches, but find frozen have better flavor. Here I’m letting the frozen peaches thaw in a pan; if you use fresh or canned peaches, you won’t need to do this.

img_7425.JPG

Next, our handy Pie Filling Enhancer. This mixture of sugar, ascorbic acid, and starch thickens fruit pies, crisps, crumbles, and cobblers beautifully.

img_7507.JPG

Combine 1/4 cup (1 5/8 ounces) of the Pie Filling Enhancer with 2/3 cup (4 3/4 ounces) sugar, and pour atop the peaches in a bowl. If you don’t have Pie Filling Enhancer, use about 1/2 cup (2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour.

img_7510.JPG

Add 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. If you use Pie Filling Enhancer, the mixture will thicken immediately. With flour, it will be pasty, but won’t really thicken; that will happen as the cobbler bakes.

img_7429.JPG

For a smoother cobbler, give the filling a quick whir in a food processor, or using a hand-held stick blender. I prefer my cobbler rather chunky, so usually skip this step.

img_7423.JPG

Next, take the paddles out of your bread machine, and spray the interior with non-stick vegetable oil spray.

img_7511.JPG

Add the peach filling.

img_7436.JPG

Now we’ll make the biscuit topping. Whisk together the following:

1 1/2 cups (6 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

a heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

img_7437.JPG

Add 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) cold butter, cut in pieces. Work the butter into the flour mixture till it’s unevenly crumbly.

img_7438.JPG

Add 1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk or cream, stirring to make a cohesive dough.

img_7439.JPG

Shape the dough into a rough rectangle large enough to cover the filling in the bread machine bucket.

img_7440.JPG

Flatten and smooth the dough with your hands, and lay it atop the filling.

img_7441.JPG

For a pretty touch, and added flavor, sprinkle with coarse sparkling sugar.

img_7443.JPG

Select one of the three homemade cycles on your Zo X20, and program it to bake for 70 minutes. Add the keep-warm cycle. If you don’t know how to program your Zo’s memory cycle, take a look at our step by step guide.

img_7444.JPG

Press Start. Just over an hour later—cobbler!

img_7467.JPG

Allow the cobbler to cool for half an hour or so before serving—right in the machine, on the keep warm cycle. This thickens it up nicely.

Next up: savory Risotto with Parmesan and Peas.

img_7469.JPG

Leave the paddles in the bread machine bucket. Add 4 tablespoons (2 ounces, 1/2 stick) melted butter, and 3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces) chopped onion.

img_7471.JPG

Next, choose your broth. I thought I’d try this new, fancy-sounding brew. You’ll need 32 ounces. If you choose 14-ounce cans, simply use 2 cans, plus 1/2 cup water.

img_7472.JPG

Arborio or Carnaroli rice is key. You can’t make this recipe with regular long-grain or other types of rice. Check out the Italian section of your supermarket.

img_7473.JPG

Spread 1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice atop the onions and butter.

img_7474.JPG

Heat the broth to a simmer, and pour it over the rice. This is important: HEAT the broth to a simmer before pouring it over the rice.

img_7475.JPG

The whole mixture will  look like this.

img_7477.JPG

Choose the jam cycle, and press Start. Set a kitchen timer for 40 minutes.

img_7481.JPG

While the machine is working, shred 2 ounces of Parmesan cheese, enough to make 1/2 cup. Our Microplane grater does a quick job.

img_7484.JPG

Set the cheese aside. See how much nicer this is than grated Parmesan from a can?

img_7487.JPG

Rinse 1 cup (4 3/4 ounces) frozen peas, and drain in a colander. They’ll gradually thaw as the rice cooks.

img_7491.JPG

When your kitchen timer goes off at 40 minutes, the rice will look like this—or not. I’ve found quite a bit of variation in Arborio rice, and how quickly it cooks. If it’s soupier than this, let it continue to cook till the rice and onions start to emerge above the liquid.

img_7492.JPG

Add the cheese and 1/2 cup (4 ounces) heavy or whipping cream to the rice in the pan. Use a spatula to mix the cheese and cream into the rice briefly; no need to be thorough. Close the cover, and let the rice continue to cook.

img_7493.JPG

Keep an eye on the risotto once you’ve added the cheese and cream. It may be almost ready to serve at this point; or it may need to cook further. When it’s as thick as you like…

img_7494.JPG

…add the peas.

img_7495.JPG

Stir them in till they’re thoroughly combined with the rice.

img_7498.JPG

Serve hot. The broth I chose made this risotto rather brown.

img_7837.JPG

So I tried it again with regular chicken broth, to make a lighter-colored risotto. VERY tasty.

And last, but certainly not least: Sloppy Joes, everyone’s favorite elementary school lunch.

img_7649.JPG

Start with 6 of your favorite buns. Check out our blog about these Cheese Burger Buns.

img_7399.JPG

Leave the paddles in the bread machine bucket. Add all the Sloppy Joe ingredients at once:

1 pound ground beef

1 large onion, finely diced (6 3/4 ounces, 1 1/2 cups)

8-ounce can tomato sauce or 1 cup (8 ounces) spaghetti sauce

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

1/4 to 1/2 cup (1 7/8 to 3 3/4 ounces) brown sugar, to taste

2 tablespoons (1 ounce) Worcestershire sauce

img_7421.JPG

Select the jam cycle, and press Start.

img_7401.JPG

Here it is about halfway through the cycle, simmering nicely.

img_7403.JPG

And here it is at the end of the cycle. Don’t worry, those onions are nice and tender.

img_7409.JPG

While the Sloppy Joe filling is cooking, I get my Signature Secrets ready. This is an all-purpose thickener, good for gravy, pie filling… and Sloppy Joes. No, you don’t have to add thickener; I just happen to like my Sloppy Joe filling thick.

img_7404.JPG

When the cycle’s complete, I add 1 tablespoon of Signature Secrets.

img_7405.JPG

Stir it in…

img_7406.JPG

…and it’s ready to serve.

img_7679.JPG

Divide among the split buns.

img_7407.JPG

Gosh, looks like a tough cleanup job…

img_7408.JPG

NOT. A quick rinse in warm, soapy water is all it takes. Hooray for the Zo’s non-stick bucket!

img_7678.JPG

Enjoy!

And, check out our Thanksgiving post, where you’ll find scalloped potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and dough for dinner rolls, all made in your Zo.

Don’t have a Zo? You can make these recipes using your regular oven, or a saucepan. No need to go to “comments” and ask for directions; simply simmer the Sloppy Joe filling or risotto in a saucepan, or bake the cobbler in a regular oven—probably 350°F for 50 minutes or so. Beyond that I have no specifics; but don’t be afraid to just wing it. These are pretty simple recipes.

comments

1. Marion

ok, I am sufficiently impressed – but I already have a Zo (and love love love it BTW) so do you sell the Beyond Bread booklet? Those booklets are available for sale. Call us at 800-827-6836 and we can get one out to you, or buy it on the web. The Booklet is free only when you purchase a ZO during this special.Mary @ KAF

2. sara.jane

Oh these sounds delicious and I need to try them, but in my oven. Unfortunately I have the smallest kitchen and storage possible at the moment so the machine isn’t possible at this time. Eventually that all will change though :) I’ll keep the machine in mind.

3. Cindy

It occurs to me that we need to coordinate a bit better – no fair that I finish shopping on Saturday and then you publish something I have to try, sending me back to the market for more peaches! I just used up my last batch on your peach pie recipe. I’m still trying to figure out how that went from half a pie to nothing over night… I know – I could lay in a supply of peaches, but the freezer is pretty full at the moment with sourdough bread and fresh hamburger rolls.
    Do you think your webmaster would object to posting a preliminary peach warning so I could be better prepared for you?

I will pass along your suggestion. Be forwarned, Berry season approaches! Frank @ KAF.

4. Art Gillman

I am a NEW, no, really new bread baker. I am enthralled with the new book “Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day” So far, i have made the basic free form basic recipe and cranberry nut and just now, whole wheat loaf bread. All great.
    Question: Can I use the Zo to just mix and then remove?
    Is the Zo good for muffin mix, cake mix, Scone etc. None of these would be baked in the machine?
    Is the crust for a peasant and other crusty breads less crisp baking in the Zo than in an oven?
    I love the idea of having the Zo do LOTS of other things.
    I am definately a prospect for purchase.
    Love your news letter and blog

Welcome to the wonderful world of yeast, Art. Yes, you can certainly use the Zo to knead bread dough, then remove and bake and shape on your own. Can you use it to mix “no knead” doughs? Absolutely. Maybe 6 cups of flour’s worth at a time, no more than that; and take it out and cancel the machine once it’s mixed. I don’t think the Zo is ideal for cake batter, where you have to cream the butter, add things in sequence, etc. Might do OK for muffin batter (“dump and stir,” no creaming); and scones, where I think the paddles would “cut” the butter in.

Is the crust of breads baked in the Zo less crisp than those baked in a regular oven? Absolutely. Frankly, I only bake bread in the Zo under great duress, as the crust is never as good as what you get in your oven. However, I do use it all the time for kneading dough – pizza, bread, focaccia, sticky buns, all kinds of yeast dough. I just set it on the dough cycle, and let ‘er rip. 90 minutes later – beautifully risen dough, ready for me to shape and bake. And my mom uses her Zo X20 regularly to make meals – she’ll layer potatoes, a pork chop, carrots, etc., add a bit of water or broth, and set it on bake. Makes an easy, delicious dinner for herr, with no pans to clean; the Zo bucket rinses out easily.

Do I recommend the Zo? Absolutely. Do you have to have it to bake bread? Absolutely not. It’s fun, and really does let you make an awful lot of yeast breads with challenging dough – e.g., brioche, rye, whole grain, etc., dough that’s tough to knead. And if you think of it as a tiny little oven that doesn’t heat up your whole kitchen, it’s even more interesting and useful.

Enjoy – PJH

5. Cynthia Burke

I’ve had my “zo” for several years now and just love it! The strawberry jam recipe from the recipe booklet is wonderful. Since I live at about 6,400 feet, I add a couple of tablespoons of liquid to dough recipes for better results.

6. Helen

this is so exciting! I have the mini Zojirushi breadmaker, so I guess I can just halve the ingredients?? the risotto sounds awesome!

7. HMB

Can’t wait for the cheese burger buns recipe! I usually mix and rise my potato burger buns in my Zo while my turkey joe simmers in the crockpot. I’ve made jam and ketchup in my Zo before, but looks like I’ll need to broaden my horizons! The risotto is an interesting idea — though I usually do mine in the pressure cooker for ease AND speed. Thanks for the inspiration!

8. Claire

Yet more reasons to love my Zo. I resisted it for a long time, believing (wrongly) that I wasn’t a real baker if I didn’t knead by hand. My mother forced it on me as a wedding gift several years ago, and I haven’t let it out of my sight since. It has a place hidden away in a cabinet, but it rarely gets put there–it’s in use almost daily.

9. Dan Colarusso

Mary@KAF, I purchased my ZO from KAF and was hoping that I could receive a zeroxed copy of the Beyond Bread booklet.
    Daniel

Thanks so much.

We’ll work on this. Frank @ KAF

10. Janene

I love my Zo and use it for dough all the time. I knew it could bake and do jams, but haven’t tried it yet. I find the risotto idea intriguing!

11. paula

I do love my Zo, and the recipes are great, but I want the cheese buns recipe!

Just follow the link in the blog. Frank @ KAF

12. maureen

I notice on the cobbler that the crust setting is set to “light”. If one were to choose “dark” would the top get crustier or…..?
    It is great to be able to “bake” something here in the South in the summer months and not have to turn on that big oven. It becomes like a war between the oven and the air conditioner.
    I have an almond pound-type cake I can make in my Zo. Wish I had a few more cakes / desserts too. Thanks for the cobbler recipe, I can’t wait to try it out. Looks delicious.

Remember the “crust” is everything but the top of the loaf. Setting the crust “darker” will also add heat to the fruit. You may end up with a thicker, browner, filling. Frank @ KAF.

13. Melissa

Love these ideas! My Zo gets used for bread but never ever did I think about cooking in it. Can I please request a copy of the booklet too? Thanks KAF!

Please call us about getting a copy. Frank @ KAF.

14. Christina

What are some other dishes the Zo can cook? Can you use it like a slow cooker for ex: roasts or stews? I have been looking at slow cookers but if this can do bread and work like a slow cooker I may have to take a closer look at the Zo.
    Thank you.

It doesn’t act as a slow cooker, Christine; you can program it to bake for 70 minutes, and keep warm for another 60 minutes, while the heat gradually diminishes; but it won’t bake for hours and hours on end. I’ve made stew successfully; my mom makes layered meals, like vegetables, meat, potatoes, with some broth poured over. Casseroles work; soup’s good. And of course desserts. But slow cooking a roast? That’s one of the things it DOESN’T do. Thanks for asking, though – PJH

15. sarah

Oh, thanks for the recipes! I love my Zo and I’ve always wondered about using it to make other things. I’m going to have to try the cobbler. Our oven leaks heat like a sieve, so this will be a much cooler way to eat dessert this summer!

16. Jenae

I’ve been disappointed by short dense bread in my Zo. Even traveled to KA headquarters to see if I was doing anything wrong. I watched them use the machine. Bought bread mixes and new yeast from KA, but still no luck. It still makes hockey pucks. The machine was too expensive to throw out, so its been collecting dust for months. Maybe these recipes will have success where the bread doesn’t.

Jenae, are you sure you’re measuring your flour correctly? You can add up to an additional 3/4 cup flour, per 3-cup-flour recipe, if you measure by scooping the measuring cup into your bag or canister, then leveling off; this would absolutely produce a very dense, dry loaf. Please take a look at our easy guide to measuring flour – and go blow the dust off that Zo! If nothing else, you can always make yourself dinner… PJH

17. Jean

I love my mini Zo, bought 2 years ago at the KAF store in VT. It lives on the counter — no other storage assigned to one of the most important appliances in my kitchen. I can bake a loaf of bread in 2 hrs flat (on the quick cycle)–and it disappears almost as fast, when I take it out of the pan! (My husband is a carb freak)
    I also like it for starting a larger batch of dough on the dough cycle, when I need a bigger loaf, or buns.
    Now I’ll have to try it for risotto!

I love the Mini Zo’s small footprint, Jean – just like an 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheet of paper. I think it’ll do just fine for risotto using the jam cycle… let us know, OK? Have fun – PJH

18. Jim M

Looks like you are using both the Zo and a Kitchenaid for the cobbler – could you mix the cobbler dough first using the Zo, then form and refrigerate it while getting the filling ready? I like the idea of fewer tools and fewer utensils to clean up.
    Also, I couldn’t find the “Beyond Bread” booklet listed for sale on the King Arthur website – can it really be ordered without a new Zo?
    Thanks!

Yes, I think you could do that – should work fine, making the cobbler crust using the dough cycle. We were a bit tardy getting the “Beyond Bread” book online for sale – I know it’s there now, but may not be searchable – call our customer service, 800-827-6836; they can help. Or it should be searchable tomorrow, I hope? Thanks for your interest- PJH

19. Judy

Have had my “Zoji” for several years. Like it very much HOWEVER I always have difficulty getting the finished bread to release from the paddles and come out of the pan. Have tried spraying both the pan and paddles with cooking spray but sill have the problem. I usually have a loaf of bread with 2 big holes in the bottom – – once I can finally shake the loaf free. Any suggestions from anyone?? It’s very frustrating!

I have this problem too, Judy, when I bake bread in the machine – which isn’t very often, so I don’t run into the problem much… I’ve resorted to setting a kitchen timer for the time when the Zo deflates the rising loaf prior to baking, for its final rise. At that point, I simply remove the paddles, and put the dough back in. With no paddles, it slips out easily after it’s baked. You might also try taking the dough out and greasing the paddles once the kneading cycle stops – see if that helps? Hope so. Has anyone else out there had luck dealing with this? – PJH

20. Michael Amato

What about Jam. It keeps being mentioned but haven’t seen any material.

Michael, your instruction book will tell you how to make jam – I’ve done it, it works… PJH

21. Doris Isner

Enjoyed all the comments. Anxious to try the peach cobbler. I’ve had my Zo for several years. Still have trouble getting the bread out of pan. I’ve tried everything, called the company and nothing works. Used plyers to turn paddles.
    I have two breadmachines, my other one works perfect. The Zo is perfect for dough. I make hamburger and hot dog buns all the time. Pizza dough perfect also.
    Thanks again.

22. Dee Ann

What about apple butter? I made it for the first time last year, and although the recipe swore that cooking it in a crockpot would work, it took many hours and the appliance never really got hot enough to boil down the applesauce to the proper consistency. Will the Zo handle the job? I want to upgrade my bread machine and this would be the perfect excuse…

Doris, I don’t think apple butter would be a good use for the Zo, unless you were just making one jar’s worth perhaps. It seems to me it would stir and simmer, but probably not long enough – the jam cycle is 80 minutes, and part of that is getting up to temperature. Send me your apple butter recipe, though, and I’ll give it a try, OK? pj.hamel@kingarthurflour.com. Thanks – PJH

23. Denise

I have a question about this bread machine. I have a bread machine from Wms Sonoma that I have been using for about 13 years, but it takes 3.5-4 hrs to make a loaf of bread. My friend says hers doesn’t take that long. What is the average time from the start of a cycle to finish for a yeast bread (not quick bread) on this machine? Thinking of upgrading….also what is the purchase price. Thank you.

Hi Denise – I think the basic cycle is 3:10 (3 hours, 10 minutes); theres also a faster (not quick bread, but faster yeast bread) cycle. I never bake bread in it, so I’m not sure of exact times. If you call our customer service folks, they can tell you for sure: 800-827-6836. Plus you can read about it here: Zojirushi X20. PJH

24. Tammy

Re: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: you don’t need to knead this bread. When I make it, I just mix it in the bucket that I’m storing it in; mixing it with a wooden spoon. Many fewer things to clean up afterwards.

Right, Tammy – I usually mix my no-knead dough with a dough whisk right in the plastic dough-rising bucket. But sometimes, when my shoulder is giving me trouble, I throw it all in the KitchenAid for about 20 seconds. Works great – wait’ll you see our no-knead sticky bun blog AND video – coming in 2 weeks… PJH

25. Carole M

Thanks for these ideas. I just purchased some lovely ripe peaches from my local market, and now I’m going to have to try the cobbler in my Zo. I had never baked bread before my Zo, and I got so brave after baking several perfect loaves of bread in my Zo that I began getting bread recipes from your website and trying them. Now, here are more wonderful things to bake. Thanks for a superb website. Oh yes — I simply adore my Zojirushi.

Thanks for connecting, Carole – I’m glad you like your Zo as much as we like ours here in the test kitchen! PJH

26. Barb

Crockpot apple butter is not thick sludge like the purchased variety, but a wonderful spread with a little chunky texture and fabulous flavor. I have been making it for years.

Crock Pot Apple butter
    1 standard size crockpot full of peeled sliced apples
    I mix granny smith with a few Rome beauties if I buy the apples at the supermarket. (apple peeler is a great tool) About 8 lbs of apples is sufficient to pack in the crockpot and still be able to put the lid on.
    Add
    4 cups of sugar an work it down into the apples with a dinner knife.
    4 teaspoons of cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cloves.
    Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until thick and dark in color. Mix the pot several times during the cooking process. I start out on high then drop the temp to low. After cooking stir well and apples will begin to look smooth. Makes 4 to 5 pints
    I make two batches at the same time, and that is my year’s supply for 2 people. It is almost time to make it again.
    Give it with a loaf of fresh baked bread and expect praises!

Barb, sounds absolutely delicious… thanks for sharing! PJH

27. Lorrie Miller

I love my Zojirushi and after years of use it has given up the ghost. I do not even want to think about repairing it. Is this X20 made in Japan? My first one was made in China and I had nothing but trouble with it. So I checked out a new one and found it was being made in Japan then. I miss my Zo and need to find out how much the new one costs. This new one sounds wonderful and I can hardly wait to see if I can afford it.

br/>The good news is there is a free shipping promotion on the Zo X20. This ends on June 30, so you have time to decide and save those pennies! It is made in Korea. I hope this helps you make your decision. Check out the KAF website for more information. Happy Shopping! Irene at KAF

28. Jim M

IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS REMOVING A FINISHED LOAF FROM THE PAN…

For Judy and others with a Zo that makes horizontal loaves –
    I take the pan out, turn it upside down, and either put it on a cooling rack (if the loaf is not as tall as the pan) or hold the pan using a heatproof glove or hot pad. Then, using either another hot pad or even a pair of pliers, turn the shafts back and forth about 90 degrees. Gravity will allow the loaf to drop when the shafts and paddles line up properly (sometimes a little gentle shaking is necessary). I then use a chopstick (I’ve heard a knitting needle works also) to pull the paddle out of the loaf. Usually if you look at the bottom crust carefully you can see how the blade is aligned, and just pull the paddle out along the line of the blade. This really is easier than I’m making it sound, especially after you’ve done it a couple of times!

Also, if I’m making a loaf with sticky ingredients, or using the delay feature where ingredients might have time to ooze down between the paddle and shaft, I use a paper towel with a bit of vegetable oil to wipe the shafts down before putting the paddles in place.

Hope this helps! I’ve given up on most store-bought bread – I now make my own loaves (usually finishing them in bread pans in my oven to avoid the holes in the bottom), hamburger buns, and New England-style hotdog buns.

Thanks, Jim, for sharing your success story. I vaguely remember one of our former test kitchen bakers telling me something about which way the paddles go on, too – apparently you can put them on so they rotate “in tandem,” or so they rotate so one looks like it’s opposing the other. I think if they rotate in tandem, they let the baked bread go more easily? Now I’m curious – I’ll have to try two loaves side by side and report back. PJH

29. Jan Hogan

My first Zo had a problem with baked bread sticking to the paddles. I never really overcame the difficulty, but it didn’t stop me from using it for many years. It finally died of old age and overuse and I bought a second one. This one has never had a sticking problem.
    When baking bread, I often remove the bucket from the machine at the end of the dough cycle and put the whole thing (bucket plus bread dough) in a cold oven set at 325 degrees for 60 minutes. The slow baking at a low temperature results in a much better crust.
    And what could be easier??
    I couldn’t do without my Zo, and can’t wait to try some of these other uses for it.

Jan, what a neat idea! I never thought of putting the whole bucket in the oven… but why not? Thanks for sharing- PJH

30. Diana Crawford

I have a Zo, but confess I have not used it for anything other then bread. This gives me some really good ideas. The BF is out of town this week, perhaps I will surprise him with the peach cobbler when he gets home on Friday.
    I did use the dough cycle to make dinner rolls for Easter and they went quickly! I should have made two batches.
    I would like to try making hamburger and hot dog buns, but haven’t done so yet. Any suggestions?
    Also, since it is only two of us, I am still looking for good ideas for storing all this bread! How do you freeze it?
    Diana

Diana, you can use any hotdog roll or hamburger roll recipe using up to about 6 cups of flour – just use the dough cycle (and, if over 4 cups of flour, remove the dough once it’s kneaded, and place it in a bowl to rise.) Try our recipe for Beautiful Burger Buns, to get started. As for freezing bread – it’s pretty effective to parbake and freeze bread – baguettes or other “not huge and fat” country loaves do well with this, as do buns and rolls. Bake till set and beginning to brown, but not browned. Cool, wrap, freeze. Then put in the oven, frozen, and bake till brown – 350°F for rolls, 425°F for baguettes. For sandwich loaves, try putting two balls of dough (instead of one log) into the pan. When done, break off one of the balls (this will be half the loaf), and freeze it while you enjoy the other half. You can also simply freeze yeast dough for about 3 months; a freezer without an automatic defrost cycle is the best. Good luck – PJH

31. Lorrie G.

I am very surprised to read so many positive comments about the Zojirushi bread machine. Mine is a total disappointment. After many, many attempts, it has never produced a good loaf of bread. Loaves come out lopsided, dry, underdone, overdone. Each result is a surprise – never a pleasant one. Perhaps I’ll try these recipes and use it for recipes other than bread. I think, perhaps, I received a “lemon”.

Lorrie, if you bought the Zo from us, please call our customer service at 800-827-6836; we certainly don’t want anyone unhappy with their purchase… PJH

32. sherri winther

I loved the risotto and cobbler recipes, can I make them in my crock pot?

Be bold, Sherri, give it a try; let us know how they come out. PJH

33. Sue Cardwell

I purchased my ZO from KAF. I would be happy to download this info but I also wondered what you could do for faithful KAF and ZO customers….I love my ZO. It makes wonderful dough, especially when I use the yeast I purchase from you all…

34. sandy

Since you all sell the Zo mini ,I’d like to see more info on recipes for this size bread machine…I do love mine & great size for two people…thanks

35. Suzanne

These sound great. I love my Zo. I made the sourdough bread this weekend. It’s not quite like San Francisco sourdough, but it was good. I can’t wait to try the cobbler. It’s cherry season. YUM

36. Christina

Wow you guys are making wish the $20 bucks in the kitty had an extra zero on it. Darn.

I have a Sunbeam bread maker than I hate with the fury of a thousand suns…or maybe the fury of a thousand failed loaves. Sigh. Someday… the Zo will be mine. If nothing else than for that peach cobbler! =D

Think positive, Christina – you might win PowerBall! PJH

37. Candace

What’s the difference between the Bakers Banter, email newsletter, and the emails we get from the company? How do you access the newsletter and Banter? Thanks.

Hi Candace: The Baker’s Banter is the blog – where you are right now. The email newsletter/emails from King Arthur (the ones with pictures and a recipe, that come twice a week) are the same thing. Hope this helps – PJH

38. hddonna

Another option for those with the problem of paddles sticking in the bread: I set my kitchen timer to go off at the beginning of the last rise, lift out the dough ball, remove the paddles, and oil the shafts, then put the dough back in to finish the cycle. Just takes a minute, and the result is a loaf with two small holes instead of the cavities left by the paddles. My bread machine isn’t a Zo, but a very old Welbilt given to me a year or two ago by a friend who had never used it. It works great. I never thought I’d want a bread machine, as I enjoy kneading dough by hand. I used to make six loaves a week for my family when the kids were growing up, plus all our hamburger buns, rolls, coffeecakes, etc. I was surprised to find out how useful a machine can be. I like the fact that it doesn’t heat up the kitchen, and that there’s only the one pan to clean up–and that’s a snap. I’m intrigued by the other uses you suggest here and imagine they could be adapted for my machine. It does have a jam cycle. Thanks for the good ideas!

39. hddonna

Oops! I thought I’d read all the posts, but I missed the one where you already gave the hint about removing the paddles. Sorry! But I can testify that it works well!

Thanks for chiming in twice – gives me the opportunity to say that I tried aligning the paddles in a certain way before starting, and that didn’t seem to help. I also tried turning the pan over (if the bread didn’t rise above the lip), and letting it sit for awhile, then turning the paddles form the bottom – and that seemed to help, although it wasn’t a 100% solution. I think what you said about removing the paddles before baking is still the best bet. PJH

40. shelia springer

Can you use the bread machine for any of the bread recipes? If you see a bread recipe can you use it the recipe as is in the bread machine or do you have to convert the recipe?

Shelia, so long as the recipe has about 3 to 3 1/2 cups of flour (or slightly less), you can try it in the bread machine wihtout converting. No guarantees; and I’ll say breads without a lot of sugar or whole grains work better, but generally they work out well. And, you can make any yeast bread recipe (6 cups of flour or under) using the bread machine, if you set it on the dough cycle and then take the risen dough out and shape, then bake in your own oven. (Dough using 6 cups of flour should be risen outside the machine, as well.) Hope this helps – PJH

41. K Hawkins

Dear KA, You are always inspiring me to reach for higher baking heights! Thank you so much. Right now, I am trying to order the booklet, but I cannot for the life of me find out how to order this online. I have 2 youngsters, so calling you is not always something on the forefront of my mind during the day. Can you offer some direction on this?

I found the booklet…thanks! :)

42. Margy

OK, ya’ll finally convinced me. Just ordered my Zo; can’t wait for my new kitchen toy to arrive so I can play with it (knew I was working all that overtime for something!). Have baked bread occasionally in the past, but was always too time-strapped to do so on a regular basis. No excuses now! ;-)

YAY, Margy – go for it! Enjoy – PJH

43. Cathy

question…is the “pie filling enhancer” you used in the peach cobbler anything similar to instant clear jel?

Yes they are similar. Pie filling enhancer already has the sugar added. Joan@bakershotline

44. Margy

While on the topic of bread, for a giggle, see the comic strip “For Better or For Worse” for today (Sunday, June 7). ‘Nuff said! ;-D

45. pearley

What great posts and comments. I’ve had my Zo for about six months. We make bread weekly and enjoy eating preservative free food. Although my bread slips nicely out of the pan, the idea of removing the paddles is a great one. We generally make a whole wheat bread using honey or brown sugar rather than white sugar. Those loafs may not rise as high as regular white bread, but KAF enhancer (about 1/4 tsp) results in a nicely formed loaf. When we want very crusty french or italian style bread we simply remove the dough after the second rise and bake it in my husband’s Big Green Egg; an excellent partner for the Zo.

46. June Roloff

I received a Zo for Christmas and have not purchased ‘store bought bread’ since. I was a complete novice, so have not ventured far from the recipes that came with the machine. I’m ready to try the recipes that are in your KAF books, but am not sure about using just the dough cycle. Does the dough cycle always take you to the point of shaping the dough and the last rise? Are there variables that I need to watch for? Your blog is a wonderful instruction tool for beginners – thank you.

June, yes, that’s right, the dough cycle takes you to the point where you’d shape the dough (pizza, rolls, bread sticks, calzones, cinnamon buns… or a standard loaf!); then let it rise one more time, and bake. The bread machine takes the place of the part of the recipe that says “Knead the ingredients togehter, and let them rise, covered, for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.” You pick up the recipe from that point. To watch for: Check the dough after about 10 mnutes of kneading; you’ll quickly learn when this is by checking the time left on the little panel. If the dough looks very sticky or very dry, add more flour or more water; just a couple of tablespoons of each. Then check back in another 5 minutes or so of kneading. Don’t worry – you can do this. Usually dough doesn’t need any adjustment if you’ve measured your flour right. And if you’ve been having success so far, I’m guessing you measure your flour right. Enjoy! PJH

47. Karen Bentz

I love the Zo for bread making – I no longer buy bread, my kids wouldn’t stand for it. I am thrilled to see a risotto recipe since I no longer have to time to pay constant attention that the stovetop risotto requires, and can’t wait to try it.

I just made strawberry jam in my Zo for the first time and it turned out great. I am looking for a recipe for Peach-Raspberry jam if anyone has one.

48. Margy

Got my Zo (and have to add, KAF has the fastest turnover from order to delivery time of any compamy I have ever dealt with! Guess that’s the difference between conglomerate and employee-owned! Kudos!). Started simple to get the hang of it and baked the basic white bread. Took it to a family Fathers Day dinner–never made it to the dinner table; they all fell on it and devoured it. Local strawberries are in–gonna make jam next.

YAY, Margy! Glad you’ve gotten into it already. Sounds like you jumped in with both feet – Enjoy! PJH

49. Tom

We have an OLD Zo. I’ll put in a plug for the risotto – it’s great in the Zo. We make it with the traditional rice, and also with pearled barley. I might try quinoa next. -Tom

50. Leamlass

I bought a Zojirushi Bread Machine about a couple of months ago when my other one died. I have only used it a couple of time, but I like the loaf that it makes, although baking it in the oven is still for me the best way to go. I tried making KAF Country Loaf Saturday and let my Zo knead the dough, but when the loaf was finished, it hardly rose at all and the dough looked great ( with the holes etc) but it looked wet and I was wondering when kneading in the bread machine, does it rise once or twice, as the recipe says to take the dough out of the machine once it has risen once. Appreciate all the help I can get, thanks. On the dough cycle it rises once. Mary @ KAF

51. Deana

Question: I have a family favorite bread recipe that we love that I mix using KA mixer. It calls for 6 cups flour, 2 cups water + other ingredients. Anyway the recipe makes enough dough for two loaves. So here is my question- Can the zojirushi on the dough setting handle 6 cups flour 2 cups water )I live in humid Florida). I don’t want to over strain it but it would be nice if it could handle this much dough at a time. it can knead that much, I would take it out at the end of the knead, and let it rise on the counter. Mary @ KAF

Sincerely Deana

52. ahoertkorn

I love my Zo, it had been kneading almost all my bread and pizza dough for two years now. (I almost never bake bread in it, seems more “homemade” if I bake it in my oven :) I replaced the paddles last year, since the nonstick coating was peeling off. I had expected them to last longer, since I take meticulous care of it–my teenagers know they don’t “get” to wash the bread pan or my bread knife! Now, the second set has peeled, and one side of the pan has lost a circle of non-stick coating under the paddle. I guess it’s time for a new pan and new paddles, which is PRICEY! Is this a common problem? I do use it to make sourdough about once a month, and wonder if this could be the issue…However, even if I do have to spend $80 or so a year replacing pans and paddles, I STILL save money by making my own bread, and it’s so much better than anything I can buy!

It sounds like you take wonderful care of your machine and we don’t feel that your machine should be deteriorating already. Please give us a call at 1-800-827-6836 and we’d love to discuss getting you replacements. kelsey@KAF

53. cr8zyamy

Can I get the beyond bread booklet? I just got
    my Zo yesterday and I did not see the booklet in any of my order.
    Thanks so much
    Amy

Amy, the booklet is no longer available, but we’ve posted the recipes you see here, plus three more in another blog post (Zo tasty), and others are posted on our community site… Hope this helps. PJH

54. sandrahamilton

I purchased my Zo from someone whose spouse passed away. They couldn’t find the instruction booklet. Is there some way to get one from KA? The number on the machine is BB-CEC20. I have some recipes that were printed from the net, but they are very awkward to use. I love it, BTW. Thank you,
    I also find these suggestions very interesting. Thanks for the tips.
    Give us a call on the Baker’s Hotline and we’ll be able to help! 1-800-827-6836 ~Mel @ KAF

55. jjo

I often read recipes that use our ZO through the last kneed cycle, then remove the dough to a bread pan to be baked in the oven. How do you figure out how long to bake the break in the oven and at what temperature? My ZO makes too heavy an outside crust (top is always okay), so I want to switch to the oven. KAF advise would be appreciated. (-:

Sorry to hear of the difficulty. After the dough cycle finishes, remove and shape the loaf, allow the second rise, then bake at 350 for about 35-45 minutes. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

56. aamoe

I love my Zo. I received it as a gift from family who are usually the receipients of my baking attempts. I recently used it to make the dough for monkey bread (your Cinna-Bites recipe) and the dough came out just beautifully (not to mention the monkey bread was yummy).

Been watching a lot of cooking shows on the Food Network and I’ve been curious to try risotto. Now I know how I’m going to cook it!! Thanks for a great idea.

Love your recipes and tips!

Glad you’re going to give risotto a try. My mom makes it in her Zo all the time – it’s so easy, and so delicious! Enjoy – PJH

57. Risotto in a non-Zo Breakmaker

I am fascinated by your recipe for risotto in the bread maker. I have a bread maker i havent used much lately but now that it is getting colder out i will start to make more breads, etc. I would love to make risotto using the recipe you posted on KAF, however my breadmaker only has one paddle and it does have a jam setting, do you think i would be able to make the risotto successfully?

thanks
    alex

Give it a try, Alex – it should work, since it needs to cook and be stirred, and that’s what the jam cycle does… Good luck – PJH

58. Elaine

I would love to see recipes for my mini Zo. When I try to convert recipes, they always fail.

I do love my mini and the recipes I do have for it come out perfectly.

Elaine, have you tried our recipes for the Mini Zo? I think you’ll find them quite tasty. PJH

59. mjt4ntexas

I use spelt flour-how does this work in this bread machine?

Spelt would work basically the same as whole wheat flour, though you’d want to add a bit less liquid to your recipe. If you use whole wheat in your bread machine, you can use spelt – I assume you’re talking about whole-grain spelt… PJH

60. breadbkr

Over the years I’ve purchase 2 Zo’s from KA but I’d gladly pay for the Beyond Bread booklet. Is there not an easier way to print out these recipes rather than printing out 30 pages of the entire post?

Please call our customer service team, 800-827-6836 – I think they can help you. PJH

61. lrbates

Tried to find the Zo Tasty and the page that came up said Error 404 Not available and the Community site didn’t appear to have a recipe section…may be cockpit error on my part but I’d love to get that recipe for cocoanut rice pudding. Thanks

Sorry for the broken link – all set now. You won’t find the recipe for coconut rice pudding there, though – here it is. Put in the bucket of your machine (lightly greased), set on the jam cycle: 1 cup Arborio rice; 2 cans (13.5 ounces each) coconut milk, at room temperature; 1/4 teaspoon salt; 3/4 cup sugar; 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coconut flavor, optional. Press Start. When the cycle is complete, serve pudding warm, with a garnish of toasted coconut. Enjoy! PJH

62. Cindy Leigh

I didn’t care for the risotto. The texture was too gummy. I think it was because the liquid is added all at once, versus adding a little bit at a time as is customary.

63. toffell

Loved the risotto! It was so easy to make after work. I used veggie broth, and also added a handul of sauted cremini mushrooms and some basil leaves I happended to have around. Really tasty! Next time I’m going to make it all mushroom and see how it works. Just about to make the peach cobbler… but not sure if all the peaches will pass muster, so here come the blueberries……

64. Esther

I’m pining to get the Virtuoso for Christmas. Santa might bring it. I see the “Beyond Bread” booklet comes with the Supreme. Would its recipes work in the Virtuoso? Can a Virtuoso user get the bookket? Or, conversely, can the Supreme do a good job of Gluten Free bread making? I lean toward the Virtuoso because three in this house have celiac disease.. thanks.

Esther, the Supreme doesn’t have a GF cycle, so yes, I’d go with the Virtuoso. Please call our CS department, 800-827-6836; tell them you need the Virtuoso, but also want the book (which will work just fine with the Virtuoso); I’m sure they can make it happen for you. Enjoy – PJH