Flourless Fudge Cookies: a special treat for the gluten-free crowd

Rich, chewy, chocolate-y cookies, full of cocoa and sugar and espresso and vanilla and egg whites. With a touch of salt.

Period.

What, no flour? Translation: gluten-free?

You betcha, by golly. If you’re avoiding gluten, here’s another tool to add to your recipe box:

Flourless Fudge Cookies, a.k.a. Sin-Free Chocolate Chews.

Even if you’re not pursuing a gluten-free diet, you’ll want to keep this recipe handy. With no fat except what’s in the cocoa (or the extra chips or nuts you throw in), they’re a treat for those of you counting fat grams.

And an extra-chewy, darkly chocolate, super-fast and easy treat.

That said, let’s get baking!

img_3613.JPG

Let’s start with my favorite cocoa, Double-Dutch Dark. This mixture of two Dutch-process cocoas—regular, and long-roasted black—adds super-rich, smooth flavor and extra-dark color to whatever you use it in, from brownies to cake to cookies to fudge sauce.

User advisory: If you’re making these cookies for someone who’s extremely sensitive to gluten, be advised that we pack our cocoa in a non-gluten-free facility; so we can’t guarantee that a minute particle of gluten didn’t make its way into the cocoa somewhere along the way…

img_8252.JPG

You wouldn’t think, looking at the color of the cocoa, that it would yield such dark results. Just call it the alchemy of baking.

Put the sugar, salt, espresso powder, and cocoa in a bowl.

img_8253.JPG

Whisk or mix them together. Want to avoid a cocoa-and-flour “dust cloud”? Cover the bowl as you mix.

img_8254.JPG

And there you have it. While this step isn’t strictly necessary—you can just dump everything in the bowl at once and mix—I like to make sure the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined before adding the liquids.

img_8255.JPG

Add 3 large egg whites, and a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract. If you’re baking these for someone avoiding gluten, be sure to use gluten-free vanilla.

img_8257.JPG

Mix till smooth. The batter will be very shiny, almost syrupy.

img_8265.JPG

Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls or tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. A teaspoon cookie scoop or tablespoon cookie scoop works well here, since the scoops mimic the traditional “teaspoonful” or “tablespoonful” of old-time recipes.

Did you know that a “teaspoonful” of dough is actually about 2 level measuring teaspoons, while a “tablespoonful” is about 4 level measuring teaspoons? Bakers used to simply drop cookie dough from a regular spoon (called a teaspoon), or larger soup spoon (called a tablespoon); that’s how all the measuring confusion began.

img_8266.JPG

Leave plenty of space among the cookies; they’ll spread a lot.

img_8306.JPG

See?

img_8307.JPG

Look at that lovely, shiny/crackly crust. Gluten-free, and no added fat to boot.

img_8260.JPG

But let’s not stop there. Let’s add some fat—er, chocolate chips. If you’re not counting fat grams in a serious way, it’s fun to add chips or nuts to these cookies. Just stir them in at the end, and bake.

img_8284.JPG

Notice that add-ins tighten the cookies’ spread; the ones with the diced nuts, on top, spread less than the ones with chocolate chips (bottom); which spread less than the original version, with no add-ins.

img_8304.JPG

Here are all three: original (top), diced walnuts (bottom left), and chips (bottom right).

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Flourless Fudge Cookies.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: SnackWells Fat-Free Devil’s Food Cookies, $8.51/lb.

Bake at home: Flourless Fudge Cookies, $2.81/lb.

comments

1. Sandy

Thanks so much for posting a recipe for those who must live gluten-free. My adult son, one of his children and my adult daughter are all celiacs and must eat gluten-free. The cookies look good and remind me of the flourless chocolate cake recipes. Again, thanks!

You’re welcome, Sandy – Enjoy. PJH

2. Mike T.

Mmm, I love to make these. They give you that sweet hit without filling you up on the gluten. I have someone that I make gluten-free for and I found that they are surprisingly fine for me too!

I’ve also heard that gluten aggravates rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and that people with RA should avoid as much gluten as possible. Does anyone have anything definitive on that?

Haven’t heard about the gluten/RA connection, Mike. Anyone out there know anything about that? PJH

1. Cindy Balchunas

Anyone with an autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism, MS, etc. should avoid gluten.

As always, we recommend anyone with any type of medical condition stay in regular contact with your physician regarding what foods are safe for you to consume. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

3. Mike T.

Okay, so I just had to try them… Yes, already done…

First let me say that I don’t know how common it is, but I suffer from the same affliction that my mom does… For the most part, neither of us are able to… Oh, this is so embarrassing… Neither of us are able to follow a recipe without making some sort of change to it. There, I’ve said it. Time to move on…

Okay, so I made the recipe as directed (including the espresso powder), but I made 6 cookies/brownies in my hamburger pan (greased lightly with shortening). I baked them for 12 min and removed them after they cooled, at intervals. The ones that came out about 2-3 minutes after removing them from the oven transported the best.

Mmmmm, thick and chewy, warm and chocolaty… Poured myself a glass of milk and sighed. :-) The only thing that I can think of to make it better would be vanilla ice cream… *sigh*

Oh, Mike – GREAT idea, the hamburger bun pan. Makes them nice and round, which can be a challenge, since the dough is pretty sticky. Thanks for your fast input, as always – PJH

4. Margy

I did a journal search, found two studies relating RA and gluten. The British Journal of Rheumatology published a Swedish study 2001 reporting evidence that gluten-free vegan diet improves signs and symptoms of RA; the effects were correlated to a reduction in antibodies to food antigens. Interestingly, a 2008 article in the journal “Arthritis Research and Therapy” shows that a vegan gluten-free diet may also decrease the risk of heart disease in persons with RA. These were research studies, so no cause-and-effect conclusions were drawn. Both studies available online if anyone wants the full statistical analysis. Couldn’t find any studies on the effect of gluten alone (but I only researched medical journals; I sure there’s probably anecdotal evidence reported). By the way, I make these cookeis frequently, not because of gluten sensitivity, but because of the low fat content, as I have hyperlipidemia. They’re great when you just need that chocolate hit!

5. Debra

oh my god, those look amazing. I am not gluten-free, but try to stay away from flour just for health reasons. Can’t wait to try these, thanks for the recipe!

6. Terri A.

These look so good and I love the fact that they are lowfat. Can I just make them with Dutch Processed cocoa, though? I know they won’t come out as dark, but I’d like to make them tonight and DP is all I have.
    Thanks! You’re right, the cookies won’t be as dark but they’ll still taste good. Molly @ KAF

7. TracyT

I have the great pleasure of working here at King Arthur with PJ. She sits across the room from me, so I get to try all kinds of wonderful creations (like the Mocha Oreo Crunch ice cream this morning!). This has to be my favorite cookie she has introduced me to. There are no gluten restriction in my family but this is the cookie I make A LOT! We love ‘em!

Aw, Tracy, I bet you say that to all the test bakers… :) PJH

8. Laurel

Can you replace the espresso powder with something? I don’t do coffee :)

Sure – replace it with nothing, you’ll be all set. It lends flavor to the chocolate, but has nothing to do with structure. PJH

9. Annie

Thanks for the recipe — they look great!

I feel like I would want to refrigerate the dough so it’s easier to scoop even teaspoon/tablespoon-fuls of these guys. Will that adversely affect the spread/taste/consistency of the cookie? I would be willing to bet they would take a little longer to bake if I throw them in right out of the fridge.

This recipe originally called for the dough to be refrigerated; I didn’t find that it made any difference in any respect (including scoopability), but go ahead and refrigerate if it fits with your schedule… PJH

10. kate

oooh my… i have been looking for an easy chocolate chocolate cookie – THANK YOU!!! yum!!

I think i will be adding ‘espresso powder’ to the grocery list and making these TONIGHT! Will try to report back :)

(really, i just want to go home and bake – dont you guys have a telecommuting job opening somewhere? haha)

Hey, keep your eye on our Web site for job postings:) PJH

11. Anna

I have joint pain and gluten seems to bother me. My chiropractor friend swears that gluten is evil for joints. He wouldn’t eat the best pan of dinner rolls for anything…

Gluten-free and chocolate? Mmmmmmmmm…..

1. Julie

I turn arthritic with gluten, too. I used to think man COULD live by bread alone, but I’ll pass now.

Can’t wait to try these with mint extract perhaps or sandwiched with a mint filling?

12. rebecca

What happens if I sub the confectioners sugar for agave? My husband has tyoe 2 diabetes which means sugar free or low glycemic substitutes.
    Agave works great in the banana nut whoopie pies in both the cookies and the filling, and I substitute spelt flour for the other flours. Here, will it make a difference in the structure?

Sorry, Rebecca, I’ve never tried agave. Give it a try, let us know how it does. My sense is, without the starch in the confectioners’ sugar, the dough will spread too much… PJH

13. Ted

These look great, but my problem is not Gluten, but sugar, and somehow I don’t think that just replacing the confectioner’s in this with Splenda is going to work out… Got anything for the sugar free crowd out here?

Sure – many of our yeast bread recipes are naturally sugar-free. And take a look at our Splenda blogs – just search on Splenda. PJH

14. Mike T.

Laurel, don’t worry about the espresso powder, I don’t do coffee (the smell of it in the morning will turn my stomach), but in chocolate products you don’t taste it, but it does enhance the chocolate taste.

Rebecca, I would think Agave Nectar would be okay, but as PJ said, you will need to add cornstarch into it so that it thickens.

Ted, can you use Agave Nectar? Personally I stay away from Splenda and Aspartame stuff…. They do some weird stuff in the blood stream…

15. JanH

PJ, thanks for a great recipe. I can’t wait to try frozen yogurt ‘ice cream’ sandwiches. Since it is going to be in the 90’s all week, this is a great time for cool treats.

For those who can’t or don’t want to use sugar, stevia-which comes in a dry form-might be a viable substitute. It also has a low GI.

16. Ann

How much chocolate chips & nuts do you add?
    There is information in the sidebar next to the recipe. (Add up to 2 cups of chocolate chips or diced walnuts to the batter. You’ll lose the cookies’ “no added fat” attribute, but make some very tasty cookies. With 2 cups of add-ins, you’ll make about 24 large cookies, or 48 smaller cookies. Note: For larger cookies with add-ins, increase the baking time by 2 minutes, to a total of 10 minutes.) Joan @ bakershotline

17. Joyce

This recipe couldn’t have come at a better time. My sister will be having a luncheon this week with our Mom and our 2 aunts. One aunt has Celiac and has to eat gluten free. My sister was wondering what to make for dessert. Well problem solved. I will be taking a tray of these delicious looking cookies. One question, can I use regular cocoa? I don’t have Dutch processed. Thanks for all the great recipes. Can’t wait to try them. I hope aunty likes them.

Joyce

Sure, use regular cocoa. the cookies won’t be as dark, and won’t taste as smooth, but that’s OK; I’m sure your aunt will love them anyway! PJH

18. bridget

These look delicious! I have a friend with Celiac’s…I’ll make these next time she’s in town. Actually, I’ll make these BEFORE she comes to town. They look so good!

19. Bridget

I can attest to the FABULOSITY of these cookies…they are AMAZING….and gluten free, to boot, so that makes them even better in our book!

20. Bridget

RE: to refrigerate or not….when I made these the first time, i did refrigerate them…but did it for like a day or two and that was WAY too long…I do not remember what happend, but I remember enough to only refrigerate a few hours now…re: gluten free vanilla. Most vanilla’s are GF, the problem used to be the alcohol that was used in vanilla, but now most vanilla’s are fine. In fact, I have not found one yet that is not ok to use.

21. Kate

YUM! I just wanted to share that even if you mess these up they are salvagable and still insanely yummy!!

i missed the part about beating them in the mixer and just mixed it by hand … and it was WAY too thin to be a cookie. i also cheated and used the carton egg whites you can buy at the store – and they are pasteurized, which i didn’t realize until after i used them, not sure that it mattered, but the carton said they don’t whip up…

i was not giving up though! so i pulled out my mini muffin tin, greased them and filled them almost to the top with the batter and put them in the oven at 300 degrees for um 10-15 minutes (? i dont remember! just check using a toothpick!).

YUM YUM YUM! They puffed up and rose and are like fudgy yummy mini chocolate better than brownie cupcakes or something. DELICIOUS!

ok, going to go try them now by actually following the directions…

Good job, Kate – chocolate is ALWAYS salvageable! :) PJH

22. Candace

Hey Ted – you might try substituting xylitol for the sugar. I’m going to try this recipe today! Xylitol has been great for everything – and it’s actually good for you! I use it for cooking, making lemonade, and on top of my morning oatmeal. I no longer use sugar for anything.

Q: What would happen if you used a whole egg?

Egg yolks wouldn’t hurt these cookies… they simply add fat, the whites provide the protein/structure. PJH

23. JC

I think I did something wrong (not unusual for me in the kitchen). I used Hershey’s cocoa powder (the only kind I had on hand) and followed the recipe as listed. They came out tasting like dark, dark chocolate, which was OK with me but the kids spit out quickly. Is there a way to make them less dark chocolate/more milk chocolate? The chocolate was so overpowering they were just too much (I know, I know, how can there be “too much” and “chocolate” in the same sentence).

Hi – Did you use natural cocoa? Like, just Hershey’s regular, not European-style? Natural cocoa is harsher/more acidic, which is probably what the kids were tasting. Next time, leave out the espresso powder, use Dutch-process (“European-style”) cocoa, and use a few tablespoons less – that should help. Understand these will never be a mild, milk chocolate cookie… And I’m with you, “less” and “chocolate” don’t belong in the same sentence together! PJH

24. Rachel T.

I can just say one word, AMAZING…
    There are no gluten restrictions in my family, but these cookies looked delicious, and sounded too easy to make.
    We are all in love with chocolate, and I am always looking for low calorie chocolate treats. This one is perfect. I added 2 tsp “black cocoa” to the recipe, and it was the darkest, chocolatiest, chewiest cookie I ever had.
    The cookies tasted even better the day after, because they seemed to taste less sweet. Next time I will try it with only 2 cups or even less confectioners’ sugar.
    I had no problem scooping the cookie dough; probably because I chilled the dough in refrigerator for 20-25 minutes, and kept it in there while a batch was baking in the oven. The dough was still sticky, but my kids loved licking the spatula, and the cookie scoop.
    I took a few pictures of the cookies, because not even they taste great, but they also look devilishly good too.
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Rachel, thanks for sharing your experiences – what a nice community this is! PJH

25. Denise

Thanks JC for asking about the Hershey’s cocoa! I too used the regular (I assume natural) Hershey’s since that’s what I had on hand. I like dark chocolate but this was a little bit too much. Thanks PJ for the great suggestions. I probably wouldn’t have tried them again but now I’m inspired!! These were really easy to pull together and I can see them being a regular in our house!!

26. Rae

Am I doing something wrong? I made these with powdered erythritol (a sugar alcohol) and liquid splenda, cocoa, and three egg whites, but the dough was crumbly, almost like shortbread. I’ve added three additional egg whites, I still haven’t got that runny, cake batter texture from the picture. Should I keep adding whites until the texture is right? Should I have sifted the cocoa before measuring?

Rae, I didn’t test the recipe with powdered erythritol and liquid Splenda, so no telling what happened… Sorry, I’ve never used either of those two ingredients. Perhaps they come with a recipe you could use, one that was developed specifically for their special properties? Not sure if these are salvageable at this point, and Id hate to have you keep adding more stuff. Maybe try simply adding water and pressing it all into a pan, like brownies? PJH

27. pam studer

i am in love with these cookies!! i was diagnosed with celiac disease this past march, and always was a big baker, especially cookies. i hadn’t until now, found a decent gluten-free cookie recipe. these were/are DIVINE! they are such a luscious rich treat. i did have to use 4 egg whites, and i added a cup of semi-sweet chocolate morsels, too. oh, they are sooo good! ps

Were you using large eggs, Pam? Sometimes eggs can vary a lot in size… And I usually do follow the chocolate chip option; it sends them over the top. Glad you found a cookie you can enjoy. PJH

28. catherine wiese

I too missed the directions re the mixer. I mixed the batter by hand and it was very stiff. I added the chocolate chips and the cookies really didnt spread at all, stayed in mounds from the scoop. They tasted great, but I am not sure what I did wrong. Would the mixer have made the difference? Thanks

29. Lauren B

Hi Rae, erythritol does not work well in cookies. It tend to crystallize, imparting a “cooling” menthol flavor, and a crumbly texture. It does not have the texture properties of sugar for this application. It works quite well in cakes, things with a lot of moisture. See my blog for cake/cupcake recipes using erythritol and stevia. :)

PJ, those look great! I’ll fiddle around with sugar substitutes because I have to eat GF/SF, but these look so simply and yummy. I’m guessing a combo of powdered xylitol and Splenda would work well.

30. jami

Just a note – I used a silpat for one tray and parchment for the other, and I found it infinitely easier to remove the cookies from the parchment.

31. Julie

Is your cocoa powder packaged in a peanut/treenut-free facility as well. I am looking for cocoa powder that is gf/df/nf can you help? I just found out I can not have treenuts or peanuts anymore due to a severe reaction I had the otherday out of the clear blue sky. After eating nuts at least 3 times a week for most of my life I was shocked to have had such a reaction. I am a baking instructor and am looking for a company to source cocoa powder and chocolate from.

Sorry, Julie, we can’t guarantee our cocoa powder to be nut-free, as we do pack nuts in our facility… I don’t know of a source for this, but I suspect that if you do a Google search you’ll find some help. Good luck – PJH

HI Julie, You might want to check out Vermont Nut Free Chocolates, they have an extensive line of products. 1-888-468-8373 is the number, but I’m sure they must have a website if you Google them. ~ MaryJane

32. Emma

I just made a batch of these but did not have espresso powder, so I used cinnamon instead (since I LOVE the taste of chocolate and cinnamon together!). I used all the rest of the same ingredients, but my batter did not turn out syrupy at all. It was much like a regular cookie batter, except maybe a bit stickier. I’m not complaining, but any ideas why mine was not syrupy? I had to bake them for about 14 minutes but they were delicious!.

Emma, I’m guessing it was how you measured your flour. A bit too much flour would yield a thicker dough, for sure. Are you sure you used King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour? Using a different type or brand of flour could yield different results, too. Glad they were still delicious, anyway! PJH

33. Anne

I can’t wait to try these cookies! I actually purchased the double Dutch cocoa and espresso powder from KAF to try out the flourless chocolate cake from this website to bring to a Passover Seder.

I was wondering if I could use these cookies for a crust for a Chocolate Mousse Pie I want to bring to the Seder as well. The original recipe calls for an Oreo Cookie Crumb Crust (it is made in a springform pan).

Your thoughts??
    I’d definitely give it a try Anne. You might want to add just a touch of margarine to make up for the fat from the cookie filling in the Oreos. See how it looks and adjust if needed. ~ MaryJane

34. Arlene

For Anne, re: crust for chocolate mousse pie for Passover. I’ve used Passover macaroons for a crust for cheesecake and I bet that in a chocolate mousse pie it would remind the guests of a Mounds bar. I’ve also folded chopped up macaroons into Passover brownie batter for the same effect.

35. jim

would the same recipe work without the cocoa ?? thanks :D
    Cocoa is the essence of these cookies. But if you want to try these without the cocoa it will be an experiment-if you do let us know how they turn out. JMD @KAF

36. Dianna Muselman

About the RA/ Gluten intolerance connection. They are both related to thyroid disease. It seems if you have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (an autoimmune disease) you are more likely to get RA (another autoimmune disease) or other autoimmune diseases. Both leave you having a difficult time tolerating gluten and prone to overgrowth of yeast which makes it a good time to develop sugar-free, low glygemic index recipes…Agave anyone?! =>)

37. Innkeeper Seely

To make a milk chocolatey version maybe you could substitute instant hot chocolate mix for the cocoa. (I haven’t tried it yet for this recipe but I have a cookie mix that uses the hot chocolate mix for flavor that is just delightful.)

38. mrsdrake

WOW YUM!

I put the mix-in cookies on the same sheet as the regular ones; I will not do this in the future as the mix-in cookies (I used white chocolate chips… oh wow) take a bit longer to bake. Or perhaps I made them bigger than the regular kind… anyway, something to remember for next time. And there WILL be a next time!

Thanks for gluten free treats that don’t taste like fava bean!

Glad we could help- :) PJH

39. kathleen

These cookies are heaven on earth. I first tasted them at the King Arthur store. I assumed then they were loaded with butter and flour, and am delighted to find they are not that bad (only 80 calories each) with no fat or gluten. Thanks to the writer who said use parchment. My first batch on a greased sheet produced a thin cookie; my second, on parchment, looks just like the picture. Who needs fat-laden brownies if you can have these?

I added walnuts but I think chocolate chips would be too much. These cookies already have a deep rich chocolate taste. Nothing further is needed. I have a recipe for a chocolate cake that you mix in the pan and it uses cocoa powder, too. It’s amazing what a rich flavor this produces and also a beautiful dark chocolate color.

Thanks PJH for heaven on earth, I can’t wait to share these with my family on Christmas.

Kathleen

And thanks for adding your kudos to these tasty (yet diet friendly) cookies, Kathleen – enjoy! PJH

40. vrehn

Would these cookies survive being mailed? I’m thinking about sending some in a care package, Priority Mail 2-3 day delivery. Would they be stale or crumbs on arrival?

They’re quite moist, so I think that they’d be just fine… go for it! PJH

41. michael145

Would the cookies be fluffier if we whipped up the egg whites?

Probably, Michael. More like a meringue, eh? Never thought of that. Give it a try, let us know how they turn out, OK? PJH

42. Cricket

Oh my goodness these are wonderful! No one in my house is gluten free, but we are both chocoholics. These taste like a portable molten chocolate cake and there is nothing I can find wrong with that! No one believed me when I said they were practically fat free. Another winner!

Thanks for the excellent feedback, Cricket. We love hearing success stories! PJH

43. Chris V says:

Ok, did I miss the amount of cocoa, sugar and salt for this recipe? Also, I don’t remember that it said confectonary sugar. Could you please give the amounts, I would like to try this recipe.
    Thanks
    Chris
    Hi Chris,
    Here is the link to the recipe. We always put the links at the beginning of the pictures, and at the very end of the post. Happy baking!

44. NNgardener

Made these and love them totally. Followed the recipe to a tee and they turned out great. Next time I’ll try the add-ins. Thanks, Betty

Glad they worked out well for you, Betty – PJH

45. Kelsey

Love the fact that everyone is patting themselves on the back about these cookies being low-fat and gluten free, and no one pays one bit of notice to the fact that they are mostly pure sugar.

Aw, Kelsey, don’t rain on our parade. Some people are OK with sugar in their diet, but not fat or flour. Some are fine with dairy, but no carbs. To each his own, OK? No baking police. PJH

46. slanspaugh

Mike~
    My daughter in law has RA, Hyper Thyroid and MS, she says that she is gluten intolerant, so eats gluten free almost everything. My daughter, since having children, now can’t have anything with MSG and is Hypo Thyroid. They both have to stay away from Gluten, specifically for the Thyroid, but I suspect it helps the RA immensely as well.

Sarah

47. DK

I am going to try this recipe with granulated Splenda in place of the confectioners’ sugar. I have been low-carbing for a long time to maintain my 170 lb weight loss. I am not a fan of nut flours or low-carb baking mixes. Maybe this will be great! Thank you!

170 pound weight loss – wow! Congratulations on your willpower. And good luck with this – let us now how it works out, OK? PJH

48. Karen

I need to make these TONIGHT. I just got my gallbladder removed, so not only can I not have gluten, but I also have to eat a low fat diet. I didn’t think I was going to find any recipes worth making within these constraints, but I’m really excited to try these (likely with half of the sugar substituted with splenda)! :)
    Hope you enjoy them, Karen! Feel better! :) ~Jessica

49. kathybeach

These are absolutely wonderful! I used your Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa and added just 1/2 cup each of walnuts and chocolate chips. One of our local grocery store chains has a version of this cookie, but this one is so much better. Can’t wait to try more of your gluten free recipes.

50. Sherry

I am guessing (but wanted to check for sure) that these will not work with an egg replacement? My son is also allergic to egg so my go to thing has been Ener G brand replacer. Just wasn’t sure if they would have no shape at all!

I’d say you’re right, Sherry – I think these need the protein in egg white to turn out. Not sure exactly how Ener-G works; you could try it, but you might end up with chocolate sauce – just have the ice cream ready! :) PJH

51. cartvl219

You keep talking about walnuts. Wouldn’t pecans be OK too? I really like pecans much better than other nuts although I have a variety on hand. Right now I am self-diagnosed with celiac. (Yes. I’ll get it all done right – later.) I have for a number of years made 6 or 7 kinds of cookies to take to my niece’s to fill the fancy St. Nicholas cookie jar I gave her. (It is fairly fragile and no doubt stays behind a glass door – just on display!) Of course I can still make any kind of cookies for her and her family but where’s the fun when you can’t taste what you bake? So I will make these this year and taste them – with pecans!! :-)
    Feel free to use any nut you like or have on hand! Pecans would be delicious! ~Mel

52. terry

haven’t tried these yet, but want to know first whether these last a few days or not. i read the tips about the gluten free chocolate chip cookies, and learned that they stay fresh only a day-not long enough to ship to my daughter in college. will these still be good packaged and then opened up and eaten about 5 days later? also, can they be kept in the freeze-either as cookies or as dough? thanks so much.

These will be firmer, but not sandy, after 5 days. Give them a try. The baked cookies may be frozen. Frank @ KAF

53. jenaij

I made these cookies last night, using Hershey’s special dark cocoa. I’m not sure what I did wrong, or if maybe it was because of the cocoa I used, but these turned out FLAT. They’re paper thin – thinner than my spatula. Maybe I didn’t stir the batter enough? I was thinking maybe if I’d whipped the egg whites first they would be more firm. When I POURED the batter onto the cookie sheet (on a lightly oiled silpat), it looked like I was pouring thin pancake batter – not at all like the picture of your batter on the cookie sheet. What happened??

Hi – Sounds like some back-and-forth with our experts on the baker’s hotline would be the best way to solve this issue. Please give them a call – 802-649-3717. I’m sure they can help you get to the bottom of this. Thanks – PJH

54. glpruett

I just baked these, and they are terrific! (Yes, I HAD to taste one as soon as it had cooled!)

Thanks ever so much for the tip to cover your mixer bowl with a dish towel while mixing! I am quite sure that if I hadn’t, I would have had a powdered sugar/cocoa dust cloud hanging around the kitchen. The dish towel trick worked great, and I imagine I will be using that trick anytime I’m mixing a fairly dry dough.

Thanks again, for an easy, quick, delicious cookie recipe!

I learned the dish towel lesson the hard way – after forgetting it several times, and spending some significant cleanup time! Glad we could help – PJH

55. Julie

Do you think these cookies would turn out as a base for fruit pizza? In other words, I would basically be baking a giant cookie in a pizza pan! These cookies are a huge hit amongst my family and friends and I’m thinking about making a dark chocolate, nutella and cherry fruit pizza.

Actually, Julie, if you bake the big cookie first – then reheat only very briefly with the topping – I think it would work. The cookie is quite soft, and I don’t think it would do well with a lot of juicy stuff melting all over it… But that’s just my opinion. Sounds delicious, however you manage it – PJH

56. Julie

Thanks so much for your advice! I was planning on baking the big cookie first as you suggest and then adding the toppings. I don’t even think I’ll heat it, that way the cookie part won’t get all soggy. Again, thanks so much for the recipe – this is a winner for sure!

Sounds like a good plan, Julie – I’d love to be one of your taste-testers! PJH

57. Bob

See, you got it easy, you got one of those mixer thingies’. I had to use my hands. They ended up looking like really dark bricks, they’re in the oven at the moment, hoping they turned out good. xD
    Hope so, too! Elisabeth

58. Kim

Just made these and they didn’t flatten out at all – I’m at a very high altitude; could this be part of the problem?
    Hi Kim,
    Yes, altitude can make the cookies puff up more. Give them a gentle push down before baking and that can really help. ~ MJ

59. Katherine Willis

I’m going to try this as soon as I find good quality cocoa powder, like the one shown. Not sure if my grocery stores carry Double Dutch. If I replaced the vanilla extract with peppermint, would it taste like a certain ‘thin mint’ cookie? It’s for a friend.

Dutch process cocoa (that may be available at your grocery store) will work for this recipe. The double dutch does offer that deep dark color and flavor. Yes, using the peppermint may get you closer to the minty cookie of your friend’s dreams. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

60. Gloria

Is there a reason you can’t use regular cocoa in these? I have 2 cans of it!!! I want to make these, but the dutch cocoa is too expensive for me right now.

Absolutely, Gloria, use natural – with no chemical leavening, these cookies are fine with either type of cocoa. The Dutch-process gives them deeper color and less acidic flavor, but they’ll be absolutely fine with natural. Enjoy – PJH

61. Gloria

I left a comment on the recipe site today. These came out perfect. My changes will be on the recipe site. Wish I could upload a photo!

62. Gloria

Made these again today. The dough was stiff! I used the exact same ingredients as i did
    last time. I checked the ratios 4 times. The only difference is I beat the eggwhites by hand until they were just a little foamy. Do you think that caused it?? They are in the oven now..I’m scared to check on them!

It sounds as though your sugar or cocoa may have been compacted in the measuring cup. Please call us at the Hotline so that we might troubleshoot together. (855 371 2253)~Jaydl@KAF

63. Gloria

I made the recipe again, exactly as I did the first time. The first time the batter was syrupy. The 2nd time and this time the batter was stiff.. I measured the ingredients the same way I did the first time. I added a total of 5 egg whites before the batter was shiny and syrupy. Maybe my large egg whites were on the small side…

Could be, Gloria – despite standards of size, there can be some variation within egg classifications. And using 5 egg whites, a small variation could translate to something significant. Glad the cookies worked out for you the second two times. PJH

64. Debora

These look delicious! I was hoping to use this recipe as a pie crust for a french chocolate silk pie. Is this batter stiff enough to hold against the side of the pie?

This batter is actually -very- wet. As such, it really won’t bake whell in a pie pan. I would suggest a standard chocolate cookie or tart dough, it will work much better! Jon@AF

65. Kelly

Oh yum. Just finished making these. Delicious! I would recommend, however, not letting them sit before baking while you go shovel for an hour or so. The first (pre-shoveling) pan spread and crackled much better than the rest of the pans (post-shoveling). They were a lovely treat to come back to the house after shoveling for, though!

Good to know, Kelly – I’ll definitely remember that next time I have a choice between shoveling snow and baking these cookies! :) PJH

66. gigiormsby

Just made these – super simple and very chocolaty. I was wondering if I could substitute Chambord or some other type of liquer for the vanilla

67. Margaret

Am I missing an ingredient? I followed the recipe to the letter, only stirring by hand and not with my KitchenAid as shown above. However, with the confectioners sugar, the cocoa, the salt, the egg whites and the vanilla, I end up with a very thick dough and about a third of a cup of dry ingredients that won’t mix in. What happened? No one else seems to have run into this problem and I’m a bit distressed! All the descriptions of the dough are that it is runny and wet. So what did I miss? I followed the recipe *exactly* as it appears on the website.

Margaret, all I can think is that you were perhaps a bit heavy-handed with the cocoa and sugar – did you weigh, rather than measure? It’s easy to add too much when you use a measuring cup. Or that the eggs you used weren’t large eggs, or were labeled large but really were smaller. I’m sorry these didn’t work out for you, but not sure what else I can tell you… You might want to talk this through with the folks on our hotline: 855-371-2253. PJH

68. Svetlana

Mine stuck to the aluminum foil despite using ample amounts of coconut oil. Also, they broke. :( They tasted great though! I just ended up with crumbles. Suggestions?

Hmmm, Svetlana, sounds like a sticky situation! :) I wonder if coconut oil is good for greasing pans (or foil)? Usually a solid fat is better. If you want to avoid greasing entirely, try using no-stick foil; it works very well. And if the cookies were crunchy/crumbly rather than soft, it sounds like they might have baked too long; perhaps your oven temperature is off? It’s always good to check your oven’s temperature with an oven thermometer, rather than relying on what the dial says (as the dial is often incorrect, especially when it comes to being ready after preheating). Good luck, and please feel free to call out hotline for more help: 855-371-2253. PJH

69. Sally

I can’t wait to try these! But I do have one question – is there any version of this recipe that might be made with Splenda and maybe a little bit of flour? That much sugar scares me a little bit. Is there a diabetic version of this recipe?

Hello Sally! I’m sorry to say that no, we do not have a version of this recipe with a sugar substitute. Good luck on your search and happy baking! Jon@KAF

70. Mel

My kids loved these (I put just half a cup of choc ad ins) – but I followed the recipe from the website and it just says ‘stir’ so I did it by hand and the batter was very stiff (made using gram measurements so not the wrong quantities) – I added about 1/3 of an extra egg white as I really could barely stir by hand. Anyway, they came out really thin, but were very popular and because so easy will definitely be making again. Next time I will use my mixer. I really think you should change the website recipe to say use your electric mixer.

71. Ann Goldman

I made the cookies – with chocolate chips and chopped nuts. They are fabulous! My kids dislike the taste of matzah in everything, so although not gluten sensitive they will appreciate these delicious “cookies” on Passover! Thank you.

72. Gloria

Making these for the 4th time. Still can’t get the cake batter consistency like I did the first time. I used 4 egg whites and cut the sugar by 1/4 so only used 2 cups. Too much sugar should not be the problem. They came out good anyway, but not much of the crackly crust I got from the first time. Maybe next time I will spoon the cocoa powder into the measuring cup rather than dipping the cup in.
    Thanks again for this gluten free, kosher for Passover recipe!

1. Amy Trage

Gloria, what size are your eggs? They might be too small if your batter is too thick. ~Amy

73. Lily

This recipe was exactly what I was looking for!! I make a lot of ice cream and always have leftover egg white I need to use up. These are easy to whip up, and were great with some homemade strawberry ice cream sandwich between two!

Chilled homemade strawberry ice cream with rich fudgey cookies to contain it’s summery freshness…it doesn’t get much better than that! Keep up the good work and happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

74. Deedee

These cookies are just wonderful, so chocolatey and delicious. The batter is so runny I’m wondering if it could be piped onto the baking sheet instead of being scooped.

It could definitely be piped, Deedee, if you like. It wont hold a piped shape very well, but if you’re just doing circles, no prob. Good luck – PJH

75. Melissa

I loved the recipe. The batter however never appeared shiny, the batter was really thick and not runny thus the batter did not spread while baking. The cookies where a hit however!

76. Carole

I’m going downstairs right now to make these!
    Two of us in our family have problems with gluten products.
    Just a quick summary for those of you questioning the auto immune problems; a year ago, I was
    not able to turn my head without pain and had limited use of my shoulders, as well. After expense of physical therapy with no results; I stopped eating products containing gluten, as much as I could control. I was getting anxious driving my grandchildren to activities and not having the mobility I needed.
    I’m driving, still~ and the pain is almost gone.
    Now…..to make these cookies!!

77. swedishtoo

I have made these amazing cookies several times for my grandson, who is gluten intolerant. They come out perfect every time, both with and without add-ins. If you could only see the joy on his face when I bring them over!!!! They are super easy to make, either by hand, or with a mixer. With so few and common ingredients, it’s easy to make them at a moments notice. Thank you for a wonderful, no-fail recipe.

We can practically imagine your grandson’s big, chocolate-covered grin now! Thanks for the positive feedback, and we hope you have many more batches of Flourless Fudge Cookies in your future. Happy baking! –Kye@KAF

78. KJH58

Has anyone tried to use these for ice cream sandwiches ? I make ice cream often these look like they would be great with vanilla ice cream between them.

Works for me – I think due to their softness, they’d freeze nicely, too – not too hard. Go for it! :) PJH