Quinoa, sorghum, millet, amaranth, and… bread: Ancient secrets revealed!

“Waddaya mean, ‘quinoa, sorghum, millet, amaranth, and… bread?’ You don’t think those grains make good bread?”

Well (she says sheepishly), millet is that yellow birdseed my parakeet used to scatter around the cage, and quinoa has some weird soapy stuff you have to wash off, and amaranth is supposed to have protein but no flavor, and sorghum — heck, isn’t that a weed?

OK, all of you “unusual grain” apprecianados; I give up. And give in. And I give a round of applause to our new Ancient Grains Blend, a mixture of the aforementioned “beyond the pale” grains.

They make bread that’s pretty good. I’m a dyed-in-the-wool white bread fan, so I can’t say this whole-grainy bread is my exact cup of tea. But for those of you who go the back-to-the-earth, whole-grain route, this recipe is a keeper.

Just ask Jim, our King Arthur Web developer.

(Don’t know what a Web developer is? I don’t either. But I know it’s important. Jim spends endless hours keyboarding what looks like gibberish to me, and in the end it turns into… this lovely, engaging Web site. Thanks, Jim!)

Anyway, Jim is a veteran of the high school class of 1967. He graduated at the beginning of the Summer of Love. And all these years later, I can still see the vestiges of that watershed year in Jim. Peace. Love. The Beatles.

And whole grains.

Today Jim showed me what he was drinking with his lunchtime sandwich: hemp milk.

HEMP milk, Jim?

“Yeah, it’s good. Smooth.”

As yummy as milk made from hemp can be, I’d guess.

img_9996.JPG

Actually, after I photographed this, I tasted it. (Secrets revealed, indeed — just had a teaspoonful. I know you wouldn’t mind, Jim.) It was OK; pretty much like soy milk.

We were talking about our Ancient Grains blend at lunch, and Jim said, “Joanna made bread with it this weekend.” (Joanna is Jim’s wife.)

So, how was it?

“Well, she said it was kind of weird to work with.”

But how was the bread, Jim?

“Really good. I loved it.”

Case closed. It’s groovy. We can dig (into) it.

Come on baby, light my… oven. Let’s bake Ancient Grains Bread.

img_9869.JPG

And here it is, in all its nutritional splendor: our new Ancient Grains Flour Blend. It’s relatively pricey, at just under $5/pound. But then again, you don’t use that much of it. This particular recipe uses a lot — about $1.25 worth.

To pack extra nutritional punch into a typical bread, muffin, or cookie recipe, spoon 3 tablespoons of Ancient Grains into the bottom of your measuring cup, then fill the cup with whatever flour you’re using. A typical muffin recipe might use 50¢ worth of Ancient Grains — not a lot, considering you’re probably paying about 50¢ per teaspoon for pure vanilla, if you purchase it at the supermarket.

Or 21¢ per teaspoon, if you buy our wicked good Nielsen-Massey vanilla in the bulk 32-ounce bottle. Which, by the way, makes a GREAT gift for any of your baking friends; keep it in mind for the holidays.

img_9870.JPG

Here’s another ingredient you might not have in your pantry. But if you bake whole grain bread (or want to), an extra shot of gluten really does help with the loaf’s rise.

img_9906.JPG

As with almost all yeast breads, we’ll start by putting all of the ingredients into a bowl. We recently received a commont here on the blog asking that all of the ingredient amounts be listed; that way, if you use your laptop in the kitchen, you won’t have to toggle between the recipe and the blog. Good suggestion! So here’s what goes in the bowl:

¾ to 1 cup (6 to 8 ounces) lukewarm water
1/2 cup (4 ounces) orange juice
2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) vegetable oil
2 tablespoons (1 ½ ounces) honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup (1 1/8 ounces) Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
2 cups (8 ½ ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
1 cup (4 ounces) King Arthur whole wheat flour, Traditional or White Whole Wheat
1 cups Ancient Grains Flour Blend
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

At this time of year, start with 3/4 cup water; in the winter, when it’s less humid, you’ll probably need the extra water.

img_9907.JPG

Mix to combine. You’ll find yourself with a “shaggy” dough: sticky and rough, but cohesive.

img_9911.JPG

If you’re using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook, and knead for 7 minutes or so. The dough will remain fairly sticky, but will smooth out nicely.

img_9912.JPG

Place the dough in a greased container. I’m using an 8-cup measure, so I can easily track its rise.

img_9913.JPG

An hour later: WOW. Guess the yeast loves quinoa, millet, sorghum, and amaranth.

img_9914.JPG

Shape into a log and place in a greased 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” loaf pan.

img_9915.JPG

Tent with plastic. I always use a shower cap — works like a charm, and rumor has it you can get a whole pack of them at the dollar store.

img_9923.JPG

An hour or so later, the bread has risen nicely. Actually, whether it was the barometric pressure or what, I found this bread was a really quick riser. It only took 30 minutes for it to rise this much when I tested it on a stormy June afternoon.

img_9921.JPG

It’s hard to see from this angle, but the loaf should have risen about 1” over the rim of the pan. You can let it get a bit higher, if you like; the loaf doesn’t have much oven-spring (i.e., it won’t rise a lot more once it goes into the oven).

img_9922.JPG

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a preheated 375°F oven. To prevent over-browning, tent loosely with foil after the first 20 minutes; it’ll continue to brown, even with the foil, but won’t get nearly as dark.

img_9933.JPG

The finished loaf should be a lovely mahogany brown all over.

img_9934.JPG

Here’s an option: run a stick of butter over the bread’s top crust while it’s still warm.

img_9936.JPG

Don’t worry, it’ll soak in. The bread will have a very compelling soft, buttery, satiny crust.

img_9954.JPG

Slice when cool. And — just like Jim — enjoy your connection to baking antiquity.

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Ancient Grains Bread.

And — how did you like being able to read the ingredient amounts right in the blog post? Helpful? We worry that now maybe you won’t click to the recipe (which does include some extra information), but let’s see how this goes, shall we?

Finally, if you’re looking for a 100% gluten-free recipe using Ancient Grains Flour Blend, try our Ancient Grains Biscuits. They require xanthan gum, potato starch, and tapioca starch, all of which you should have on hand if you’re a gluten-free baker. We don’t currently carry these products, but will research offering them in the future.

Bake vs. Buy

Buy: Nashoba Brook Breads (voted Boston’s #1 bread) — 7-Grain Bread, 33¢/ounce

Stop & Shop Supermarket in-store bakery — multigrain sandwich loaf, 22¢/ounce

Bake at home: Ancient Grains Bread, 10¢/ounce

comments

1. Jeri Hurd

lol–this blog is KILLING my diet! I think I’ve made four things in the past 10 days–along with my ice-cream making binge. So here’s’ one more to add. I’m taking a roadtrip with my Dad to KA this week. Very excited! My own little version of Mecca, I guess! Will have to get some of this flour when I’m there, and try the bread.

Welcome, Jeri – in advance! Hope you have a great visit – PJH

2. Mags

I’ve had King Arthur’s ancient grains blend on my “to order” list for quite awhile. Now that you’ve posted this recipe, I can’t wait to order it and try it out. That bread looks fantastic.

3. Terri A.

Looks great! The measurements in the blog don’t matter to me one way or another. Usually if I’m going to make the recipe, I go to the recipe and print it out anyway. I’ve found that if I have my laptop in the kitchen, I need to scroll down about the time that my hands are covered in something.

4. Lish

I already made this bread a couple of weeks ago, as I ordered the ancient grains the second I saw it for sale. It was delicious, and I have added it to several other recipes, rolls, muffins, etc, with great results. And I love making such nutritious bread easily at home. Thanks for great products and great recipes!

5. wren

I like the amounts in the blog, thanks.

Does andyone know how this would do in a bread machine?

Don’t know, but I suspect it would do pretty well, baking in the machine. Kneading dough in the machine would be just fine. Let us know how it comes out if you bake in the machine, OK? PJH

6. Kim

I recently discovered the “brush with butter” trick with another recipe and now I use it for all of my yeast breads. It makes the crust SO much better!

7. twyla

I prefer having the ingredients list in the blog. It gives me a better sense of how the finished product is going to taste. Sometimes proportions give me an idea of what to expect. If I actually want to make the recipe, I’ll go the recipe link b/c I want to have a good printable version. I don’t like to use my laptop in the kitchen and I hate scrolling through a page trying to find the info I need. The bread looks yummy btw.

8. Ginger

This looks like a bread I would enjoy. I’ll have to add Ancient Grains blend to my next order. If you are taking requests for recipes along the same lines I would love to be able to make something similar to Ezekiel 4:9 bread (made by the Food for Life Baking company). This is the only bread I ever buy. I’ve found copy cat recipes on line but most are way too involved for me to attempt right now with an infant underfoot.

9. Amy

I really think anyone able to read your blog — which requires an Internet connection — are familiar enough with the Internet not to need an explanation of what a web developer is (or would skip over that term if they were truly befuddled). Maybe it’s just me!

Anyway, I’m going to find this flour as soon as I get rid of the terrible moths in my pantry… I’m sure I haven’t seen it in any of my local stores!

Amy, try our moth traps – they’re one of our top-selling items. PJH

10. Susie M

Gorgeous loaf, I will have to try it! I love whole grains. First I need to order that flour!

Actually I was in the Whole Grains class just yesterday at the KAF baking center and we baked a bread with the Harvest Grains blend. I will definitely be doing that one again, too!

11. Brenda

Totally unrelated, but going to visit my brother in Lancaster NH the beginning of next month, and hope to FINALLY make it to your store! Better get started on that shopping list. Now where’d I put your newest catalog…?

Brenda, have a great trip. Lancaster is in a beautiful part of NH… And if you can’t find your catalogue, I’m sure we can find one for you! PJH

12. Sue

This note is for PJ regarding the post with the sticky buns and her son’s first loaves of bread.
    My son is living on his own for the first time and wanted to make some bread so I sent him the link to that post. His summer accommodations aren’t permanent so we haven’t gotten him all set up with everything he needs but despite that he made his first loaf of bread yesterday using that post as his guideline. He doesn’t own a scale, measuring cups, or measuring spoons, and he was still successful. He eyeballed the flour, used an empty apple juice can to measure the flour and apparently eyeballed the rest of it. He ended up having to add more flour because when he went to shape his loaf he said the batter was “running” through his fingers. He mixed up the ingredients in a pot, and baked the loaf in a skillet.
    There were several phone calls from start to finish, but when he took the loaf out of the oven he called me and said it tasted great and the crust was really, really good. He sent me a cell phone picture and it looked great.
    I figured you would be just about as proud of him as I am, so I wanted to share.
    Thanks for your part in helping him make his first loaf!!

Sue, what a wonderful story!! Thanks so much for sharing. It’s nice that we, as moms, still have something we can teach our sons – even when they’re “all grown up.” BTW, my son called the other night and said he’d made pizza, but the top was all burned and the bottom raw. I asked him if he’d used a high oven temperature. “Yeah – broil.” OK, lesson 2: How to read an oven dial… :) PJH

13. gary hamilton

I assume you have to need the air out of the bread after the initial rise before you form it and place in your loaf pan? I did not see this step anywhere but I cannot imagine not doing it and not having holes in the bread. Please comment. Thanks.

Gary, the dough naturally deflates as you shape it. I never deliberately deflate my yeast dough (let alone punch it!); it seems to take care of that step just nfe on its own. PJH

14. Lee

Here’s some extra info on all those ancient grains:
    Millet: the chief cereal grain for millions of people in India, Africa, China and Russia, it is gluten-free and low in phytic acid. It is high in silica making it good for our bones.
    Quinoa: a staple food in Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia it contains up to 20% protein, it is high in certain amino acids that are lacking in other grains. It contains iron, calcium phosphorus, B vitamins and E. Indians of the Andes made a gruel of quinoa specifically for nursing mothers.
    Amaranth: is a stunning plant that can be featured in flower gardens for its unusual showy magenta flower head and ornamental leaves with vivid varigations similar to coleus. The grain is gluten-free, high in protein and amino acids as well as iron, calcium, other nutrients and fiber.
    Sorghum: an important worldwide food crop it is used primarily for animal feed in the US and even considered a “noxious weed” in 19 states. Also gluten-free it has more protein than corn and is high in iron and zinc.
    Thanks for featuring these great grains in your blog/recipe this week! Thanks for the interesting info Lee! We’re excited about all the possibilities using this flour! Tara@The Baker’s Hotline

15. Kirsten

I made this bread on the 4th of July to go with the steaks and veggies my husband was grilling for the family. I admit, I’m not really a wheat bread kind of girl, but I thought the recipe sounded interesting in the catalogue so I’d ordered the flour blend. I made it with the White Whole Wheat flour (my distaste for wheat bread is short-circuited by this particular flour :), and the resulting loaf was really, really good. I was surprised. Everyone liked it, and there was only enough left for me to have two pieces toasted for breakfast the next morning. So, two thumbs up here! :)

Oh, and I also found it to be a very fast riser. Normally, it takes bread a long time to rise in my kitchen, but this shot up in about 40 minutes. I just had it under a towel on the island in the middle of my kitchen. Clear day, no clouds, for the barometrically-curious. :) Kirsten, We’re glad you took the plunge and were rewarded with a bread that everyone enjoyed! The White Whole Wheat flour seems to appeal to even the most ardent non-wheat Bakers!
    Several years ago I started substituting white whole wheat for the all purpose flour in a couple of my favorite recipes; my family still has no idea that they are whole grain and oh so good for you! Good observation on the rise time, I’ll be interested to hear what other bakers have experienced too. Tara@The Baker’s Hotline

16. Lee

Since you have featured these alternative grains I think you should continue in this vein and do a blog using sprouted grains! There’s a great sprouted loaf in the KA Whole Grains cookbook that our family loves. I also wish KA would sell a sprouted flour, is that commercially possible?

We don’t carry this style of flour right now. It is commercially produced. Just Google: sprouted grain flour. Frank @ KAF.

17. Sue

How rude – you note your ancient grains are gluten free and then give a recipe that not only has wheat flour but throws in a little added gluten so you can get a nice stretchy dough that bakes into a big, beautiful loaf. Where is the challenge? If you are going to tote something as being gluten-free, than please get out your xanthan gum and take a whirl at a gluten-free loaf of bread. No need to give me a price breakdown. There are no blue-light specials on a gluten-free diet.

Sorry you felt I was rude, Sue. I didn’t mean to infer the bread was gluten-free; just wanted those on a gluten-free diet to know that they could use this mixture in any of their gluten-free recipes. PJH

18. pam pedersen

Is there a way I could modify this recipe to make it completely vegan? My daughter and granddaughters do not eat any dairy, which would exclude the dry milk.
    I know milk helps the texture; do you think I could just ignore the dry milk entirely?

This bread recipe sounds delicious. To make my bread more healthy I put harvest grains, flax meal or flax flour , oat bran, oat flour in many of my loaves but I would like to have bread recipes that require no dairy at all.

Yes, you could omit the dry milk if you like. Frank @ KAF.

19. Stacey

Has anyone tried making whole wheat pizza crust with the vital wheat gluten? I just ordered some and am looking forward to the challenge!

For a thin crisp crust I don’t think you will need to use this. If your aim is for a thicker, chewy crust, then 1 teaspoons per cup of whole wheat flour is a good place to start. Frank @ KAF.

20. Denise

Looks wonderful and so glad you’ve added the ancient grains blend. What are your ideas for gluten-free options?

Sorry, Denise, you can’t make this bread gluten-free. I’d suggest a good gluten-free cookbook, for the best array of recipes; we offer Gluten Free Baking Classics Cookbook, which is a good choice. Also, we hope to be coming out with a nice selection of gluten-free mixes this winter – stay tuned. PJH

21. Lindell

Ok – I was excited when I saw the gluten free flour so I forwarded the KA email to a friend who is on a gluten free diet. Only after did I read thru the blog to discover that one of the ingredients in the bread is vital wheat gluten. Is it necessary in this recipe?

I apologize for any confusion. This is not a gluten-free recipe. Yes, all of the ingredients are needed to produce the loaf featured. Frank @ KAF.

22. Melissa in NH

Can’t wait to try this, but ya gotta be kidding: slice when COOL??? Ha! No way I can wait that long to eat fresh-out-of-the-oven bread. Hint: if you carefully (and thinly) slice off both ends, it won’t squash the loaf.

23. Jean B in CA

Really like the ingredients with the blog, thanks. Looking forward to trying this one as soon as my KAF order comes in!

24. Maria

That melting stick of butter…Niiiice touch, guys. I’m telling you I’m ready to eat my screen so I can taste that buttery, fresh baked, ancient grains bread. God, that looks and reads yummy.

No one does it like KAF. Not even (shhhh) Martha.

25. Lissa

I’m looking to replicate Roman Meal bread, which is no longer available in Minnesota – would the Ancient Grains bread be comparable? I have searched the Net & experimented with recipes but have not found one that is like that bread. Anyone who has suggestions?? Thanks!

I don’t know what Roman Meal bread tastes like, but at least this would be the same color and (I think) the same consistency. Here’s what’s in Roman Meal:
    Whole wheat flour, water, vital wheat gluten (wheat protein), high fructose corn syrup, yeast, whole wheat, honey, salt, soybean oil, dough conditioners (may contain one or more of the following: mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides, sodium stearoyl lactylate, malted barley flour, azodicarbonamide, ascorbic acid), cultured whey, yeast nutrients (monocalcium phosphate and ammonium sulfate), vinegar.

So Roman Meal is basically just whole wheat bread… PJH

26. B. Seevers

I havent tried the new flours, but the high fiber flour I would love to try, but on my budget and it at more than two times the price of your regular flour I am just going to have to pass.

27. DonnaR

In case there’s any confusion, the KAF 12-Grain Flour Blend used here IS NOT gluten free! ThHe first ingredient is wheat, and further down is spelt and barley!

This recipe does not call for our 12 Grain flour, item 1690. It features our new gluten free Ancient Grains Blend, item 3410. Please call or email us anytime you may have a question about any of our recipes or ingredients. Frank @ KAF.

For a gluten-free recipe using our Ancient Grains Blend, try our yummy Ancient Grains Biscuits. PJH

28. DonnaR

Oh, yes, I am mistaken. GREAT!! A new flour with many of the same nutritional gluten-free grains as the 12 Grain!! Thank you for the correction and the item number. :) You KAF Bakers are so on top of all concerns and issues. One of the many reasons I LOVE your company!

Glad to help, Donna – yes, even on a July Saturday when we should ALL be outside enjoying the summer! :) PJH

29. Robin

As an amateur baker who’s been working with GF flours and recipes for five years now, let me suggest adding ground flaxseed to the Ancient Grains blend. (I use about one tablespoon to one cup of flour.) It won’t make a nice big fluffy loaf the way wheat flour and vital gluten will, but it does make a nice focaccia style bread that’s excellent for open-face sandwiches and a base for pizza or, obviously, foccacia :) You can use whole flaxseeds as well, they add a lovely rustic touch to the dough. A no-knead batter recipe works very well with flaxseed and GF flours. Also, soaking the flours in the recipe liquids before adding the yeast generally makes for a smoother, less gritty bread.

When you go gluten-free you have to make a few adjustments, but after a while you learn to make more quickbreads and flatbreads and move away from traditional raised loaves that need gluten for structure. It’s well worth any changes and sacrifices to be free of the ravaging effects of gluten intolerance. For me, one slice of wheat bread means two weeks of illness and substantial physical damage. Thanks so much to KAF for making the Ancient Grains blend available. I’m going to try the biscuit recipe as soon as it’s cool enough to use the oven! :)

Thanks for sharing, Robin. I’m passing this along to the rest of the test kitchen bakers – Hope you enjoy the biscuits (once it cools off) – PJH

30. Tami

I gave this bread a shot in the bread machine this weekend, full-through the baking. I used a Cuisinart machine. I set the machine to whole wheat, 1.5 lb, light crust, and perhaps I was off a bit, because the loaf is very dense and the rise was pretty limited. On the plus side, though, it’s not at all a bad texture. It’s very heavy, but moist, and not at all crumbly. It slices very nicely, and toasts up without falling apart. It feels like a cross between yeast bread and a biscuit, I guess.

Even though my results don’t look like the blog pictures, it’s a very delicious bread. I’ll definitely give it another run in the machine, trying the white bread setting next time, I think.

31. Joyce Klauck

Thanks to you all for some lively comments. I wrote on Facbook that I organized my flour in my pantry. A person who is a friend of a friend commented back to me that what is organizable about flour – it’s just a bag of flour. So I commented back, well, there’s white whole wheat, and traditional whole wheat, and ancient grains, and rye blend, and pasta flour, and unbleached bread flour – they are all organized on my King Arthur shelf! I am going to try the ancient grains recipe tonight and I can’t wait. I made rye bread with raisens on Saturday morning and added toasted sunflower seeds. It’s the first time I tried instant yeast – since I have been a traditional “proofer” for 30 years. The bread was phenomenal!

32. tanya

hi, pjh–i rather think that you owed no apology for “sue’s” july 14 comment, as she is the one who was rude, not you!

Just trying to prevent any “troubled waters,” Tanya – but, thanks! PJH

33. tanya

hi, pjh–the mini scone recipe sounds great–i will try it one of these days. on a different topic: i have always been puzzled by the many comments by cookbook authors that wholewheat has a bitter taste, as i do not find that to be true of the grain i mill. i do agree, though, that too often store-bought wholewheat bread tastes bitter, which is why i don’t like it. i have finally come to the conclusion that rancidity is the cause for some wholewheat flour tasting bitter!! everybody has bitten into a nut that has gone rancid, and you know how ba-ad that tastes! perhaps commercial producers of wholewheat bread products just are not careful enough with the flour they use. what a good thing that bakers have access to the excellent ka flours!

34. tanya

for lissa: the roman meal co. started in germany in 1686: the one we are familiar with is in tacoma, washington. the mix included whole wheat, whole rye, added bran, and flaxseed, according to wikipedia.

35. Trina

I purchased this flour blend a few months ago when it first showed up. It has sat in my pantry this entire time because I honestly didn’t know how to even get started. I also have Rye flour in there wanting desperately to bake a really good loaf of Rye bread. I’m sure I don’t have all the requisite components for Rye bread but I’m hoping to attack that project soon as well. We have started eating Ezekiel english Muffins for breakfast as well as some sprouted 7 grain muffins. I look forward to finding good recipes for all of these special type (meaning hard to find good versions of) bread products.

36. bakersresource

For Lissa; Try putting someKing Arthur’s Irish Style Whole Meal flour in your “Roman Meal” Bread. It gives it the texture of the flakes of wheat. Mary @ KAF

37. Diane Atkatz

Can you post recipes for “gluten free” bread. If I buy Ancient Grains how do you prepare a gluten free variety of bread? What else is needed?
    Too many comments and not enough exact instruct ions on preparing the bread.

do you have another website with instruct ions? You can’t make this bread gluten-free, without adding a gum or something similar to provide the structire. I’d suggest a good gluten-free cookbook, for the best array of recipes; we offer Gluten Free Baking Classics Cookbook, which is a good choice. Also, we hope to be coming out with a nice selection of gluten free mixes in the fall. Mary @ KAF

38. S & S

We made this in the Zo yesterday (basic/light crust) and it became a very fine-grained but light loaf. It was done 15 minutes early – usual for this machine. Think we’ll try molasses instead of honey next time for more flavor.

39. Scooter Markis

I’m a newbie when it comes to baking but I started off by getting daisyflour organic flour from online and I made my first batch of biscuits with it on Saturday and I must say organic flour is not only healthy but it tastes pretty good.

40. cafilbeck

Please PJ (or the recipe writer) continue to put both the Volume and Weight measurements on the same page. I usually print out one version and then write in the weight measurements on it. Having both in the same recipe saves paper and work. I really appreciate having both methods available.

We’re probably going to change the way we currently display recipes to include metric weights, as well as volume/American weights. the question right now is, do we display each (metric, volume, American weight) in a different column, so that they never appear together on the same page? Or do we display volume/and both weights together – e.g., 1/2 cup flour (2 ounces/57g)? At any rate, change is coming… PJH

41. dimo

I added a t. of wheat germ and 2T. of gluten flour. The bread had fabulous flavor. It rose OK but I would like more rise. A great bread and I will make it again.

42. Susan

I would like to make this recipe and add my sourdough starter. What adjustments do I need to make ? Less water and flour to equal the amount of my starter? What about the orange juice?
    You are correct, Susan. Use 1 cup of starter while removing 1 c. of flour and 1/2 c. of water from the recipe. Keep everything else the same. You may need to play around with the consistency of the final dough, so do not hesitate to add more liquid or flour to achieve a soft and smooth dough. Have fun! Elisabeth