This cake is the berries!

img_3130

I recently visited my cousin Kris at her mountaintop home in southern New Hampshire. We sat out on her deck, acorns dropping like mini-bombs around us, and talked about family, movies (she and her husband are film producers), and food.

After a bit Kris went inside, and emerged moments later with cups of coffee and a cake. Always on the alert for promising new recipes, I started to pry. “What’s that? Looks good. What’s in it?” I said.

“Oh, it’s those Italian plums on top of cake. Truly, this is about the only dessert I ever make. Why bother with any others, I think, when this is so good?” said Kris.

Further discussion revealed it was a recipe from Marian Burros’ The New Elegant But Easy Cookbook. What’s more, it’s been featured on American Public Media’s radio show, “The Splendid Table,” with host Lynn Rosetto Kasper.  APM’s Web site quotes Kasper as commenting, “Because of reader demand, this recipe has been published in one form or another in the New York Times almost every year since I went to work there in 1981.”

Gee – I guess LOTS of people think this recipe looks good!

Serendipitously, King Arthur Flour sponsored a company outing at a local orchard last weekend. Families gathered on a crisp, impossibly blue-and-gold September morning to enjoy hay rides, cider and fresh doughnuts, and acres and acres of apple trees and raspberry bushes, all heavily laden with fruit. The pickin’s were easy, to say the least – perfect for kids.

img_0046.jpg

Our online commerce director, Halley, stepped onto the apple scale for a group weigh-in with daughters Bella and Daisy.

img_2977.JPG

They picked a TON of apples. Well, enough for pie and a huge crisp, anyway.

img_0059.jpg

Me? I went for the raspberries. My mom and I picked 11 pints.

img_0407.JPG

Berry cake, here I come!

There’s nothing like late-summer berries, but they’re as fragile as they are fleeting. I froze all but 2 pints, scooping out a cup to go on top of this Late Summer Berry Torte, along with a cup of blueberries I’d picked up at another farmstand.

Let’s get started–

img_3075.JPG

Preheat your oven to 350°F.

Put 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking powder in a bowl.

img_3076.JPG

Mix till thoroughly combined, then add 2 large eggs.

img_3079.JPG

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. You can supplement the vanilla with 1/4 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor, or Fiori di Sicilia; both add interesting, though slightly different flavor notes.

img_3080.JPG

Add 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour.

img_3081.JPG

Beat briefly, just to combine.

img_3082.JPG

Spread the batter in a lightly greased 8” x 8” or 9” x 9” square pan; or a 9” or 10” round pan. In the larger pans, the batter will seem quite thin; that’s OK.

img_3083.JPG

The original recipe calls for 24 halves pitted Italian prune plums. Kris says she uses 2 cups of whatever fruit she has on hand. I chose 1 cup each raspberries (red, and golden); and 1 cup blueberries.

img_3086.JPG

Sprinkle the berries (or spread the fruit) evenly atop the batter.

img_3087.JPG

Like this. Isn’t that pretty?

img_3088.JPG

Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

img_3089.JPG

It looks like you’re using a lot, but don’t worry; it’s all good.

img_3091.JPG

Put the cake in the 350°F oven, and bake it for about 35 minutes.

img_3115.JPG

A cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, and the parts of the cake showing between the berries will be golden brown.

img_3114.JPG

Like this.

Serve with whipped cream, if desired.  Sounds pretty desirable to me, so let’s whip up some cream, using a trick I just learned:

img_3112.JPG

Yup, Marshmallow Fluff, long-time star of the Fluffernutter Sandwich.

img_3106.JPG

Whip 1 cup heavy cream till it holds peaks. This cream actually got away from me; it’s too stiff. Absolutely edible, it just doesn’t look smooth and pretty.

img_3109.JPG

Add 1/2 cup Fluff, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

img_3110.JPG

Mix till thoroughly combined. The Fluff helps stabilize the whipped cream, meaning you can whip it up ahead, then refrigerate till it’s time to serve. It also adds just the right amount of sweetening, yielding a whipped cream where cream is the hero, not sugar.

img_3124.JPG

And here’s the result of our berry-picking labors. How sweet (and fresh) it is!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Late Summer Berry Torte.

comments

1. Sue

That looks wonderful and no doubt tastes great with a number of different fruits. But, recipes that call for Marshmallow Fluff torment me. We cannot get it here and the other nationwide brand just isn’t the same. I’ll have to settle for plain old whipped cream. Poor me. haha!!

Your marshmallow “creme” might work in this recipe – give it a try. And, of course, you can always throw a tub of Fluff into your next KA order… :) PJH

2. marielle

you rock! This is very much like my favorite recipe for blueberry buckle minus the streusel on top. Oh and that marshmallow fluff trick is amazing. Oddly enough today I stumbled across a Martha Stewart recipe for an “instant” swiss/italian buttercream where you beat two sticks of butter into two jars of marshmallow fluff and then add vanilla.

Oooh, now, that sounds good too, Marielle! Have to try it… PJH

3. Lish

This looks yummy! Now I know what I’ll do with the berries sitting in my fridge, tomorrow. My son just told me that he wants it for breakfast! He is drooling over the picture on my laptop. Would this be alright with frozen berries in the wintertime, or would that add too much moisture? Just wondering for planning ahead what to do with all the berries I froze this summer! Thanks for a great baking project to do with the kiddos! CJ will love sprinkling the cinnamon sugar!

Lish, I was wondering what would happen with frozen berries – haven’t tested it yet. I’d assume you’d have ot bake longer. Also, my cousin suggests mixing the berries with some flour if they’re partciularly juice, so that might apply to frozen berries, as well. Or maybe mix with confectioners’ sugar, since that has starch in it, too? PJH

4. Sue

Thanks PJ! I had no idea that KAF carried Marshmallow Fluff!!

Made by an old New England company – we’re an old New England company – us old-timers gotta stick together! PJH

5. Sandy

Oooh…love the fluff trick!! I had seen Alton Brown a long time ago add a microwave softened marshmallow to whipping cream to stabilize it, just like the fluff does. Have been trying to find that info for a long time now (wanted to find out how long to soften the marshmallow and how many to use) and had given up. Will now do the fluff thing instead. Fortunately Marshmallow Fluff is available in our stores here.

Yeah, I just read about this somewhere recently – tried it, liked it, will use it from now on. FLUFF RULES! PJH

6. HMB

This looks an awful lot like a recipe I got out of Sunset magazine years ago. Usually I make it with Santa Rosa plums (love the way the cinnamon sugar combines with the juicy fruit to get all syrupy), but the other day I made it with sliced nectarines and peaches. It goes together so quickly and easily with ingredients that are readily at hand. Whipped cream is a lovely accompaniment, but as we also like to put the “schlag” on the coffee, no Marshmallow Fluff for me!

This is indeed a variation on a recipe that’s been around for decades – for good reason: SO easy, SO good! I love reviving older recipes, ones newer bakers might not have seen, and older ones might have forgotten… As for the schlag in coffee – hey, nothing wrong with marshmallow in your offee – just like marshmallow in hot chocolate, eh? :) PJH

7. AJ

Another “must-try” recipe! Was just planning on ordering my favorite mixed fruit (blueberries, blackberries and raspberries). I’ll just thaw them and drain the juices (I won’t waste the juice-have great uses for it).
    Think I’ll try the confectioners sugar to absorb the residual juice. Wish I
    didn’t have to put this off…been ordered to make several loaves of beer
    bread for a potluck this week. Thanks again PJ!

Hey, beer bread is good too, AJ – it’s nice to have current projects and future goals both! PJH

8. Terri A.

That looks so good – right up my alley! How do you store the opened Fluff once you’ve used the 1/2 cup?
    Hi Terri,
    Fluff is shelf stable at room temperature, so just store in the jar or container, tightly covered. ~ MaryJane

9. penny

The original NY Times recipe calls for sprinkling the fruit with lemon juice as well as cinnamon sugar. I think it adds a little extra flavor especially when you make this torte with pears or apples.

Penny

Certainly an option, Penny – it’s a versatile recipe, for sure. PJH

10. CindyD

I was going to make apple crisp for dessert for company this weekend, but maybe I’ll make this with peaches (we don’t like plums, aren’t we strange?) instead.

Cindy, I think peaches sound absolutely wonderful. I like plums, but I LOVE peaches! :) PJH

11. Gail C. Plante

I have been making the original plum torte to rave reviews for decades since it was first published in the NY Times. The original recipe is slightly different, using 1 cup of sugar and instructing the baker to sprinkle the top lightly with fresh lemon juice and sugar to taste, depending on the sweetness of the fruit before sprinkling on the cinnamon. Is there a reason this step was left out? Could it be that it is not necessary with the sweet berries?

Actually, that was how Kris’ recipe read – but the recipe on The Splendid Table Web site, which claimed to be from the NY Times, used 3/4 cup sugar, and no flour/lemon juice. Looks like the “real” original is becoming lost in the mists of time… PJH

12. Lee

awhile back you asked about hot bread memories – well I have fresh raspberry memories – my all time favorite fruit. Seeing that handful of berries pictured in the blog sent me right back to a summer in The County where I was able to pick raspberries to my heart’s content and eat them every single meal for as long as I was there. mmmmmmmmmm
    Now I have to settle for little plastic squares from the grocery store.
    thanks for the blog trip down memory lane! :)

And The County is… where? The County is Aroostook in Maine… Thanks for connecting, Lee – PJH

13. Halley

Phew – glad you cut out the part that shows how much our family weighs! ;-]

Oh, I DID?! Let me go back in there and see if I can crop differently… PJH

14. Fran

Wow – just took this out of the oven. It was so simple to make and it looks just fantastic – smells wonderful!! Your timing was perfect, as I had just enough blueberries and was wondering what I was going to do with them. This recipe’s a keeper! Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed it, Fran! PJH

15. Alison T

PJ Says “throw a tub of Fluff into your next KA order… “. Yeah uh huh. I threw TWO into my last order, and they’ve all ended up IN MY TUMMY in sandwiches and just-plain fingersfull of Fluff! Doesn’t hold a candle to Creme, and I live in Utah, and Creme is all there is here. It IS shelf stable – but not indefinitely – my second tub got a smidge grainy on the bottom after a couple of months (but I still think it would work in the recipe, and it didn’t stop me from having one *last* fluffernutter!).

16. Linda

Another trick with whipped cream is taking a couple of marshmallows and cutting them and heating them briefly in the microwave (just to soften) and add those to the cream being whipped. Mine is pretty stable with powdered sugar since the cornstarch keeps it set but I also have a dry product (found in most groceries) that can be added to stablize the cream more. I’d rather have unstable cream than whipped topping so I will try if needed to make it more stable but otherwise suggest a quick stir to get it back together if it weeps a bit. Too good to substitute.

This recipe looks marvelous. We are lucky in Oregon–we keep berries at the farmers’ market until October. I’ll have to go and get some berries this weekend to try this one. Can’t wait!

17. Poppy

I have the original NY Times yellowing recipe and have made several every fall since it first appeared–my friend says it is even better than her German Grandmother’s. The original does specify sprinkling the top of the plums with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon, but I have always tossed the plum halves with all three in a bowl first, then made the batter, arranged the plum halves on the dough, and poured the juices over the top–they get into the plums better that way than they would through the skins. There is also a variation with apple slices and cranberries. Now I’ll try the mixed fruit.

18. Barbara

I read the recipe on the other link. Do you really arrange the plums skin side up? When I bake a fruit like that, it’s always been skin down so the fruit accepts the sprinkled sugar and gets juicier and soft. I also think it’s easier to bite through a plum half from the top.

Just doing what my cousin says… please feel free to arrange the plums however you like, OK? PJH

19. Poppy

If you put the skin side of the plums down, the fruit juice will not seep into the cake as it bakes to moisten and flavor the cake part of the torte; think oysters on the half shell. Also when I use only plums, I arrange them in concentric circles, and the shiny skins poke through the risen batter for an attractive finished look. There is a nice contrast between the tart fruit and the powdered or sparkling sugar I sprinkle on the torte before serving. Maybe try it once?

All sounds good, Poppy – I might have to make a cake and do half skin sides up, half down; half confectioners’ sugar, half sparkling… Thanks! PJH

20. Charlene

THis is almost the EXACT same recipe from my Aunt Aischa, a WWII bride from Germany. She made this many many time and it makes me think of her!! She put the plums fruit side up and sprinkled sugar and cinnamon all over. YUM
    I am going to make this again in her memory!! Thanks!

Glad we could bring back some warm memories, Charlene – PJH

21. Marty

A variation of this recipe has been in our family for geneations! It came down from my mother (who would have been 99 this year), who got it from her great aunt.( who would probably be around 150 yr.) We called it The Berry Dump Cake because you mix up the batter and just dump the berries and cinnamon-sugar on top. Have made it with every berry and stone-fruit California has to offer. It’s great with apricots and cherries and even cranberries though you need a bit more sugar when using fresh cranberries, and a few toasted almonds add a nice crunch It can’t be beat with vanilla ice cream or just heavy “pour” cream over a hot or warm slice, especially if you can’t wait to whip the cream!!!!!

Marty, thanks for all of this! And here I thought I was thinking up something new with the cranberries, when you’d already mentioned it… I love the thought of cold cream poured over warm cake. I think cream mixed with some puréed pumpkin and Fluff, poured over cranberry cake, would be a different Thanksgiving treat… Hey, we must be true bakers, thinking about Thanksgiving baking already, and it’s just the first day of fall! Thanks for connecting – PJH

22. Kimberly D

Do you think Michigan prune plums will work? Also, my Michigan fruit memories are going camping up north by Grayling is picking wild blue berries, they called them huckleberries and taking them back to camp and having my mom or aunt make pancakes. Or my mom taken apples and take the core out filling it with brown sugar, cinnamon and baking them, or making raspberry jam. Both my mom and aunt would of loved this recipe, I sure miss them both since they passed away.

I’m not familiar with Michigan prune plums, Kimberly, but if they’re small, firm, and dry, don’t see why not. And thanks for letting me know what huckleberries are – I never could figure out what they were, aside from the first name of a Mark Twain character… PJH

23. Sue E. Conrad

Oh, PJ, you’ve done it again!!! Unfortunately, here in Florida we have to rely on supermarket fruit – small baskets at HUGE prices, but this recipe is definitely one I’ll print off and add to my collection! We can, however, buy Marshmallow Fluff, even the strawberry variety! Me, I’m partial to the plain stuff……….and ONLY Fluff, not Kraft Marshmallow Creme!! When it comes to apples, I usually stick with Granny Smith, a reliable, year-round variety here, but the apples pictured at the beginning of this blog made my mouth water! Will be in Massachusetts in a little over a week to attend my 50th high school reunion, so may just take advantage of the availability of fresh, local apples. With an eye towards my Thanksgiving pie baking, am also hoping to buy my supply of Grandmother’s Mincemeat which used to be made in Natick, MA but is now produced by a British conglomerate…….still tastes the same, though.

Hey, Sue, you don’t need to use berries here – how about diced peaches? Or pears, or apples? Dried apricots? Cranberries wold be WONDERFUL, speaking of Thanksgiving. I think any number of fruits would do well in this cake. As for Grandmother’s – I’ve seen it in the store forever, but have never tried it. Considering your recommendation, this may be the year. And Fluff – from Lynn, Mass. – take a look at their Web site, and click on the “jingles” at bottom left for some vintage Fluff songs… “First you spread spread spread, your bread with peanut butter…” :) PJH

24. Nitza R.

I made this with prune plums and everyone is in love with it, including my family members who are Austrian and are very picky about their sweets. I dare say it is the best prune plum cake I’ve ever tried, and I’ve tried a lot of different ones over the years. I made it in a springform pan and added a little almond extract. I think that almonds might be a nice addition. When do you think you would add them? Mixed into the batter or sprinkled on top? Also, why do you add the baking powder with the butter and sugar? That is a bit of an unusual technique which intrigues me. Thanks for a great recipe! Happy Fall.

And happy fall to you, Nitza. Sue Gray, our test kitchen director, and I discussed adding the salt/baking powder while creaming butter and sugar just recently. We both do it; we feel it distributes them both more evenly throughout the batter, AND helps us remember to add them, since we’re adding them first! the almond estract here sounds perfect – and I’d sprinkle the almonds on top, so they could brown a bit and become crisp. Thanks for connecting – PJH

25. Esther Shacham

Hi PJH
    Do you use cold butter, and cut it into the flour, or room temp. butter, and the creaming method?

Good question, Esther – I do just what it shows in the blog. Cream the butter with the sugar and other ingredients, add the eggs, then the flour. Room-temp. butter mixes with the sugar more easily, but since I never plan that far ahead, I always use it right from the fridge. PJH

26. Patricia Brennan

The recipe sounds wonderful. I can’t wait to try it. The photos are lovely too but I really would like to have the option of a text only recipe in the standard recipe format: Ingredients listed followed by the directions, just because it makes it much easier to do a copy past into my recipe software. Love all of the KA recipes. Thanks.

Patricia, just link to the recipe at the end of the blog – you’ll get to our online recipe in traditional format, where you can see both weight/volume measurements, in a printable format. PJH

27. Flour Floozie

Really GOOD! I baked this today with the Fiori di Sicillia and only the blueberries. I left the cinnamon out of the sugar for the top because I will be serving this tonight with homemade lemon ice cream. I just sniched a bit with a little of the ice cream and YUM! Thanks for all the great recipes and inspiration.

You’re welcome, “Floozie” – love your screen name! PJH

28. Kimberly D

PJH, I got to admit when I think of huckleberries, I think of Huckleberry Hound…..LOL! At least you think of a great literature character, I think of a cartoon characters…LOL!

Ah, forgot – was he the one with Baba-Louis? PJH

Oh PJ, you need to get your Saturday morning cartoon mojo on. Huckleberry Hound was tall and blue and had a very strong southern accent. Baba-Louise was the little donkey who worked with QuickDraw McGraw. Quickdraw was the white horse Sherriff, a few sandwiches short of a picnic usually. Man, I loved cartoons! ~ MaryJane

29. Kimberly D

Yes he was from Baba-Louis. Also Michigan prune plums are drier than regular plums. I will have to go buy some and make the cake and let you all know how it turned out.

30. Streusel

I made this and it was a great hit. Instead of the sugar cinnamon on top I made a streusel topping. I laid plums skin side up and doubled the amount of vanilla. I baked it in a 10″ pie dish and it was delicious. Next time I’m going to cut the plums in quarters. Now I want to try all the other fruits.

Oh, I made this by hand, no mixer and it worked fine.

Thanks for the reminder about a great cake.

31. Barb

i made a version of this torte using peaches. sprinkle top of peaches with lemon juice,drizzle 2T of melted butter on top,sprinkle with nutmeg, cinnamon & sugar,bake. while still warm coat top of torte with 3T of nuked peach preserves & sift non-melting sugar ontop. this is a winner in our home.

32. Mrs. Mac

Fantastic! Made this last night with frozen berries that I put up this summer (Oregon blueberries, raspberries and blackberries from the local farmers market). Really delicious and not overly sweet.

I’ve been looking for something fresh and different for a meeting my hubby has next week, and I think the guys will go for this! I’ll try a double recipe in a 13×9 pan and just adjust the baking time a bit.

33. Noreen Lambert

I read this blog on Tuesday. I made this cake on Tuesday night. I work and I got the ingredients on the way home. While cooking dinner I threw this together and it couldn’t have been easier. I made the cream too, just like you suggested! The marshamallow fluff addition is simply brilliant! The cake is to die for and there was just enough for my husband and I to eat for breakfast the next morning. YUM! We liked it so much that I made another last night. We ate it for breakfast today. This would be great doubled and served at brunch, or for that matter, who needs an excuse? I will definitely be keeping this recipe in my special folder for future use! Thanks KAB I love you guys!

Thanks for the enthusiasm, Noreen! I’ve been thinking it would be good to bake two cakes, stack, and use whipped cream between the layers and on top – yes? PJH

34. Beth from VT

I didn’t read this blog until today…what a surprise! I actually made FOUR of these last night to use up the last of my home-grown raspberries and blueberries. I purchased Fiori di Sicilia just for this recipe last time I was at “The Store”. The flavor is new to me so probably I should have used the smaller amount. I think I will use less cinnamon when I use berreis next time. There will be three happy families at church tomorrow when I share this yummy treat. Oh, I didn’t add the marshmallow fluff. Reading all these comments I think I need to find some plums for the next try.

35. Rosemarie from NH

This looks lovely – I will try it today or tomorrow. The hint about Marshmallow Fluff sounds great! I usually have some on hand (I spent much of my childhood in Lynn, MA). With my Italian prune plums I usually make my husband’s favorite German version with a sweet yeast dough base, cut the plums in half and then almost through to the bottom, stand them up in rows. I sprinkle with cinnamon sugar after using fresh lemon zest – sometimes sliced almonds. The prune plum season is so short – I just bought some gigantic ones at an orchard last weekend. I have started freezing them after pitting and storing them in plastic bags for winter, worked out great!!

36. Lish

I finally made this with plums, and it was awesome. My husband doesn’t care for sweets too much, but he ate half of this cake the first day I made it! My kids loved it, and it was so delicious. We will absolutely make this again. The only problem I had is that the plums weren’t very soft, so a little hard to cut. If I had baked long enough to soften the plums completely the cake would have been overdone. The plums weren’t overripe but were easy to eat raw, not crunchy. Should I just use riper plums? Any suggestions?
    Hi Lish,
    It sounds like the plums could have used another day of ripening. You can put them in a paper bag on the countertop to speed them along. ~ MaryJane

37. Candace

PJ, I made this and used berries I froze a few weeks ago, one cup raspberries and one cup blueberries. I tossed them with 3 T. confectioners sugar to combat the extra liquid I knew the frozen berries would release. Then I used only about a third of the cinnamon-sugar mixture, not only because of the already sweetened berries, but also because I could see it dulled the gorgeous colors of the berries. Perfect! I baked it in an 8 inch pan and served with vanilla ice cream. 6 guests, 9 servings. Everyone had a piece, then later two of the guys went and ate the other 3 pieces. Not a good move for them, judging from the howls of the third, second-helping-less fellow!

Howling for cake in your kitchen, huh? That conjures up delightful mental images, Candace… PJH

38. Evelyn

This looks wonderful. For another option for a topping, either Devonshire cream or Mock Devonshire cream would be wonderful. Regular is with cream cheese, Mock is with either yogurt or sour cream, depending on how much you need to downplay calories, fat or carbs. I did this for a pie awhile back and it was so much better than whip cream. If the Fluff you speak of has high fructose corn syrup, I can’t use that, so the cream would be wonderful. Loving your flours and recipes!! Keep up the great and very yummy work!

39. Jackie

I loved this recipe for years. It is easy, gorgeous, freezes well, basically a perfect cake. But in recent years we are bot allowed butter (or margarine). Any ideas on how to adapt it with oil?

40. Elsa Seidel

I made this torte today using Italian plums, skin side up. I baked it in a 10″ round ceramic pan. While it rose around the edge of the pan, it really was concave toward the center and moist. Is this due to the altitude (5,000 ‘) here? Perhaps I should reduce the sugar and baking powder a bit and increase the flour. Regardless, it has almost disappeared.

Hi Elsa – It might have been the heaviness of the fruit itself or, as you say, the altitude. Please read our tips for high-altitude baking; hopefully you’ll find some useful information there. PJH

41. Nancy

I’ve been making the plum torte since the recipe was first published in the Times so many years ago. As I remember (I’m not home, so I can’t check) there was no vanilla in the original recipe. When I make it with prune plums I add 1/2 t. of almond extract….it goes so well with plums. I often make three or four and freeze them. After thawing, heat gently befor serving and you’ll have a taste of summer in the winter!

42. Manette

Do you think I can freeze this after it is baked? I have berries that need to be used but I do not want to have too many sweets sitting out begging to be consumed.

Sure, Manette – Freeze, then thaw, and simply microwave individual pieces to “freshen” before serving. My grandma always froze whole unbaked apple pies, and that seems to work well, too; just pop the frozen pie in the oven, and bake it longer than normal, till the filling is bubbly. Good luck – PJH

43. Manette

OK I feel ridiculous since I just noticed the entry before mine talks about freezing it!

Not a problem, Manette – Answers-R-Us! PJH

44. Geri

The cake looks and sounds yummy, however looks can be deciving. How can we actually comment without baking and tasting this.
    I tried one of the recipies that looked amazing, yet it was terrible.
    I have no comment at this time, but I will try to bake this one

When/if you have a bad experience with one of our recipes, I hope you call our baker’s hotline – 802-649-3717. They’re SO good at walking you through the recipe and finding out what might have gone wrong… Best of luck on this one. PJH

45. glpruett

I have a quick question on the whipping cream/marshmallow fluff mixture. After the cream is whipped to hold peaks, and you add the marshmallow fluff and vanilla, do you continue to use the mixer whisk to incorporate the fluff or do you do it with a spatula or bowl scraper? In the picture, you show a bowl scraper, but it doesn’t seem like it would be possible to get it mixed well enough that way. Thanks!
    Folding in the fluff and vanilla is best. Otherwise, the whites would become over beaten. Elisabeth

46. sharon

I made this torte with splenda plus I used apples and cranberries with walnuts and I doubled the recipe. I also made it with peaches and blueberries plus the splenda. It’s a five star dough. I have since made it with many other fruits and nuts. It’s great for people with diabetes like me. I love KING ARTHUR recipes. enjoy! shana