pumpkin cinnamon rolls: Beyond pie

Ah! on Thanksgiving day, when from East and from West,
From North and from South, come the pilgrim and guest,
When the gray-haired New Englander sees round his board
The old broken links of affection restored,
When the care-wearied man seeks his mother once more,
And the worn matron smiles where the girl smiled before.
What moistens the lip and what brightens the eye?
What calls back the past, like the rich pumpkin pie?

- John Greenleaf Whittier

You know, I just HAD to print that 19th-century poem here, even though Thanksgiving is weeks away. And the recipe we’re making today isn’t pumpkin pie. Because, if you think you don’t like poetry, the verse above might make you think again.

Indeed, what DOES call back the past, like the rich pumpkin… sweet roll?

While you may be a dyed-in-the-wool pumpkin pie aficionado, there’s so much more to this humble gourd than a once-a-year Thanksgiving pie. Think pumpkin soup. And pumpkin muffins. And how about curried pumpkin scones? To say nothing of a pumpkin “jelly roll,” filled with a rich cream cheese filling…

Never knew pumpkin was such a versatile baking ingredient, did you?

Not only does pumpkin add great texture and flavor to all kinds of treats; it adds deep-gold color, as well. Beauty may be only crust-deep, but it doesn’t hurt to put something delicious AND pretty on the table. And what easier way to add color to what can often be a pretty beige-brown-tan affair: the holiday bread basket?

The following pumpkin rolls feature a swirl of cinnamon, plus cranberries and bits of crystallized ginger scattered throughout.

That’s a combination that certainly brightens my eye. How about you?

img_1909.jpg

Here’s the ingredient that’ll give your rolls their distinctive flavor and lovely golden color: canned pumpkin. NOT pumpkin pie filling; just plain ol’ pumpkin.

Can you use your own homemade puréed pumpkin? Sure. You may need to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe to balance the amount of liquid in your purée.

img_1910.jpg

This is one of those easy “put everything into a bowl” recipes:

1 cup canned pumpkin or squash
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup lukewarm water*
1/4 cup soft butter
2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 3/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
3 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast

*Adjust the amount of water by the time of year or your climate. For summer, or in a humid environment, use the lesser amount of water. In winter, or in a dry climate, use the greater amount. It’s always best to start with the lesser amount; you can always add more, but it’s pretty hard to go back and add less!

img_1911.jpg

Mix to combine…

img_1912.jpg

…then knead till smooth. The dough may be fairly sticky; that’s OK. So long as it holds its shape, you’re good.

img_1913.jpg

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or other container; I’m using an 8-cup measure here, so I can track how much it’s risen.

img_1939.jpg

Cover, and let rise for 1 1/2 hours, until it’s puffy, though not necessarily doubled in bulk.

img_1940.jpg

Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface.

img_1941.jpg

Roll the dough into a 14” x 22” rectangle.

img_1943.jpg

It’ll be very thin. Don’t stress if you can’t make it exactly 14” x 22”.

img_1944.jpg

Next up: the flavors of fall. Here we have 1/4 cup of dried cranberries on the left, 1/4 cup of diced crystallized ginger on the right. These will be sprinkled on the rolled dough…

img_1946.jpg

…after we’ve spread it with the filling.

Combine the following:

3/4 cup Baker’s Cinnamon Filling*
3 tablespoons water

*Substitute 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon for the Baker’s Cinnamon Filling and water, if desired. If you use sugar and cinnamon, DO NOT ADD THE WATER.

img_1947.jpg

Doesn’t that filling look GOOOOOOD!

img_1949.jpg

Spread it over the dough. If you use sugar and cinnamon, brush the dough with water, then sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar.

img_1950.jpg

Leave one short edge free of filling.

img_1951.jpg

Sprinkle the cranberries and ginger atop the filling. Don’t like cranberries? Leave ’em out. Don’t like crystallized ginger? Leave it out. Don’t like cinnamon filling? Try another recipe!

img_1952.jpg

Starting with the end with filling, roll the dough into a log.

img_1953.jpg

Seal it closed. Next, you’re going to cut it into 9 rolls. It helps to use a ruler and measure the entire log, divide by 9, then actually make slight cuts, as a guide.

img_1956.jpg

A serrated knife is the easiest way to cut this dough. If things start getting too sticky, rinse the knife in hot water (don’t dry it), and continue.

img_1957.jpg

There you have it: 9 fat rolls.

img_1960.jpg

Lay the rolls in a  lightly greased 9” square pan; the pan needs to be at least 2” deep.

img_1963.jpg

Flatten them with your fingers, so they’re fairly tightly packed.

img_1981.jpg

Then cover, and let them rise for 1 hour, or until they look puffy – like this. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.

img_2009.jpg

Bake the rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re lightly browned and feel set.

img_2015.jpg

Remove them from the oven, and set them on a rack.

img_2026.jpg

Turn them out of the pan, and allow them to cool for about 15 minutes. Towards the end of the cooling time, make the glaze.

img_2049.jpg

Combine the followoing:

1 cup glazing or confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoons milk, or enough to make a “drizzlable” glaze

img_2050.jpg

Stir till smooth.

img_2059.jpg

Drizzle atop the warm buns.

img_2061.jpg

Like this.

img_2071.jpg

Plan B: If you like a glaze that seeps down into the buns, leaving a translucent (rather than bright white) layer on top, apply the glaze while the buns are HOT.

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls.

comments

1. Bibi

My friend generously gave me one of these AMAZING cinnamon/pumpkin rolls, and I have offered to make them for my step-brother’s wedding brunch (on New Year’s Day!). There will be 54 people there… and lots of other food. My question is: if I make them very small (people like to eat many different items so full size is unnecessary) would they still need a 2 inch deep pan? I’m afraid I don’t have enough deep pans.
    HI Bibi,
    What a great thing to do, and a wonderful way to start the New Year. If you are cutting smaller, shorter rolls, you can bake them on sheet pans spaced just barely touching. You should be able to get many rolls on one pan, saving time and space. ~ MaryJane

2. Janet G

Please consider adding a print button for printing just the recipe. 28 pages of comments is not very green.

Use your computer’s “print preview” feature. This will give you the power to print only what you need. Frank @ KAF.

3. evelin

Actually, I’m going to second what janet suggested, but go even further, maybe a print page without pictures, even. I love your recipes, but it takes me 15 minutes to format the thing down to 1-2 pages without pictures/talky (which I love when I’m reading through, but not so much when I’m baking!!)

Keep up the great work.

Have you tried printing the recipe from the recipe page (rather than trying to print the blog)? Click on “printable recipe” and it’ll print without pictures (just the main recipe image). Hope this helps – PJH

4. LaShanta

I made these last night. I did not have a mixer of any kind, so I had to do the kneading by hand. The rolls were just OK. There were not quite as light and fluffy as I thought they were going to be……. And they didn’t puff up as much as I thought they would. I wonder if I did something wrong in the kneading process.

After I cut them and put them in the baking pan, I left them out for an hour and then I put them in the fridge overnight. Then I took them out in the morning. I let them sit on the counter for an hour and then I put them in a cold oven, turned the oven on 350 and let them stay in the oven for a total of 30 minutes.

Overall, they were just OK. Maybe I should wait until I have access to a standing mixer and try them again. Maybe that will help make them lighter and fluffier…..

The stand mixer will definitely knead better than you do by hand, LaShanta, and result in lighter, fluffier rolls. That said, you might also have needed to let them rise longer at room temperature, before baking. Probably should have let them sit 2-3 hours on the counter, before putting in the cold oven; they should have risen noticeably before you put them in the oven. Don’t give up, though; bread-baking is a learning process, and even the bread that doesn’t come out as well as you like is still tasty, right? :) PJH

5. Kristen

I’d been thinking of these since last year and the cold snap we experienced this last week in Michigan gave me the extra eagerness to make them at long last.

the verdict: delicious and definitely a harbinger of fall!
    thanks, you creative KAF bakers! :)

6. Stephanie

I had bookmarked this recipe a year ago and I finally made them yesterday… they turned out great! These were my first attempt at “real” cinnamon rolls. At the last minute I realized I didn’t have white whole wheat flour after all so I subbed whole wheat pastry flour and it seemed to work just fine. Thanks for a great recipe!

7. Debbie

I am new to making yeast breads, so what did I do wrong when I tried to roll out the dough? I greased the work area just like the instructions said, but everything was too sticky. I kept wanting to dust it with flour (like making biscuits!) to make it more workable. Help!!!

Next time, if the dough is THAT sticky, dust with flour – it’s OK! The reason we generally don’t roll on a floured surface is the more flour in the dough, the heavier/drier the final product; oil helps prevent adding too much flour. But it sounds like you could have used some… Don’t be discouraged, Debbie. The more you bake bread, the more you learn, the more comfortable you get with it. PJH

8. "FoodIsLove "

Just finished devouring my first roll. Most excellent… just like every KAF recipe I’ve made. You guys are really good at this.
    THANK YOU.
    Didn’t have the crystalized ginger, so I went with plumped golden raisins and walnuts. Bought ginger for the next batch while the little monsters were resting in the fridge.
    I went out on a limb with the filling, using softened butter, cinnamon, powdered sugar, and a couple glugs of KAF boiled cider… hoped the cornstarch in the sugar would thicken the cider. Looked close to the consistency of your filling. AND IT WORKED. (quite proud of myself) THANKS AGAIN…Edie

9. Msgervasi

Made these pumpkin rolls for the first time this week. Dough came out perfect and was easy to roll out and manage. The one variation I made to recipe was to add 1/4 tsp of maple flavoring (ordered through KAF) to the icing. Got rave reviews from my daughter and her dorm friends!!

10. chinchillalover

I made this and it was delicious,but i wanna make it again and i’m low on whole wheat flour.Would it be very differant if i made it with all-purpose in place of the whole wheat?
    You could make this recipe with all purpose flour instead of the white whole wheat. You might want to put the lower amount (2 Tablespoons) of water in and just add more as needed to make the dough. ~Mel

11. rochelle_keefer

If anyone is like me and doesn’t have a dough hook, I can say this is difficult to hand knead, but not impossible. I put my new silicone rolling mat to use- a very good purchase- to minimize the mess. After mixing the ingredients by hand, the mixture looked dry, but it was actually very wet once I dug in. I kneaded for about 20 minutes to get it smooth and holding shape. The dough rose great. From all the previous comments about maple icing, I threw in some maple flavor bites to the cinnamon filling which is very yummy. Great hot out of the oven. Looking forward to having another for breakfast!

12. misoranomegami

This right here is why I love King Arthur. I was thinking of pumpkin breads on the way home from school and though “Hmmm I wonder if there are any good recipes for pumpkin cinnamon rolls.” Lo and behold!
    I am so pleased our bloggers did not disappoint! Elisabeth

13. MyThy as in "Mighty"

I made this last night and it came out great! (wish you could post photos here)

I made the following substitutions b/c it’s what I had on hand:
    3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 tsp nutmeg + 1/4 all spice for the 1/2tsp ginger
    1/2 cup milk (replaced all water w/ 1% milk b/c I didn’t have dried milk as mentioned in a previous review)

Filling:
    For half the cinnamon rolls:1/2 cinnamon sugar spread like recipe
    dried cranberries
    chopped pecans
    The other half I used Trader Joe’s Almond Cocoa spread (like nutella) and added chopped pecans.

Glaze:
    1/2 cup Fat free sour cream
    5 TBP powdered sugar
    1 TBP maple syrup

I used my dough hook for the first time and I’m glad I did b/c it the dough was stiff w/ just 1/4 cup milk. It took me 1/2 milk. The first rise was slow and it took 2 hrs for it to double.

I filled my dough w/ half

Its cold here in MI so I shaped filled and shaped my rolls and left them on the warm electric oven top to rise overnight. They “poofed up” nicely and into the oven they went this AM!

Glazed after 10 mins and it was delish!

14. FILOMENA

CAN I MAKE DOUGH DAY B4 ROLL AND FILL IT THEN COOK NEXT DAY?

Shape the rolls, place in the baking pan – then refrigerate overnight. Next morning, remove from the fridge, preheat the oven and place the fridge risen rolls right in. Now that’s happy – and efficient baking! Irene@KAF

15. Shannon Ratliff

I would love to try these. What do you suggest to use to make them Gluten Free? I am new to gf baking and don’t know what substitutes would be good.

16. fer

The dough is rising as I type, and it is some beautiful dough! But I’m wondering why you called for all-purpose flour in the recipe instead of bread flour. Ever since I discovered KAF bread flour quite a few years ago, I have used it exclusively whenever I use any unbleached flour in yeast baking.

It seems that these rolls will be awfully big if I make just 9 so I’m going to try making 12.

1. Amy Trage

Usually AP flour would be used for this application, but if you are happy with the bread flour, you certainly may use it! It will give a tighter, sturdier crumb and a chewier texture to whatever you are making. ~Amy

17. fer

It’s me again. This is some beautiful dough! I would highly recommend it for beginners or for anyone cooking with kids. I kneaded it in my Kitchen-Aid, using the smaller amount of water plus about 1 teaspoon more since it was quite humid here when I started. It’s SO easy to roll out, even thinly. But I’m going to have to get a bigger silicone mat as mine was no where big enough!