Half a loaf is MUCH better than none – and sometimes even better than one.

img_4420.JPG

As much as I love summer – with its respite from boots, icy roads, and heating bills – I’m never devastated to see it go. Because hard on its heels is my favorite season, fall: best baking time of the year.

Think about it. Fresh, crisp apples, ready to slice, dice, and chunk into a cinnamon-y apple pie, or streusel-topped crisp, an apple challah, or my favorite totally moist, ridiculously dense apple cake with over-the-top brown sugar frosting.

And then there’s all that zucchini, crying to be made into chocolate zucchini cake. And the butternut squash (and potatoes, and onions, and peppers), perfect for roasted vegetable pizza.

And how about the holidays? Halloween pumpkin cookies. Rosh Hashanah raisin challah. And my favorite baking holiday of all: Thanksgiving, with its pies, stuffing, cranberry-orange muffins, and soft dinner rolls.

Perhaps, at the end of the day, it’s simply the cooler weather that makes autumn baking so compelling. After months of hesitating to turn on the oven, it feels good to warm your kitchen again. And it just feels right to knead dough, give it a good, long rise on the counter, shape it, let it rise again and, pleasurable hours after you started, pull an aromatic loaf of fresh yeast bread out of the oven.

If you’re a bread baker, you know what I mean by “pleasurable hours.” If you’re not a yeast devotée, join the fun. Bread-baking isn’t difficult. And it’s not time-consuming, in the sense that you spend lots of time actually performing some task.

Bread-baking is simply a series of simple steps, separated by blocks of time when you can read a book, take a walk, rake leaves, go shopping… or bake cookies.

And yeast is a saint in the pantheon of ingredients: it forgives all of your baking sins, growing inert dough into beautiful loaves, despite all your mistaken efforts to waylay it.

Bread is a wonderful thing to share. The following recipe came to me via a surgical nurse at our local hospital. As we chatted prior to my shoulder surgery, we discovered our mutual devotion to bread. We exchanged email addresses, and Gail’s go-to bread recipe arrived in my inbox the next day. Filled with oats, and flax, and whole wheat, it still makes a wonderfully light, moist bread, perfect for sandwiches and toast.

Perfect for sharing.

Perfect for autumn.

img_4334.JPG

Gail is a veteran bread baker, and so likes to use an array of artisan ingredients. For instance, Demerara sugar (above), a coarsely granulated “raw” sugar – granulated sugar in its less refined state. Tasting very mildly of brown sugar or molasses, it’s a good-looking decorating sugar, as well as a tasty sweetener.

img_4295.JPG

First, we’ll make a starter. You can let this starter rest at room temperature anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days. Yes, 2 days; really, it’s OK. It’ll get bubbly, and then just sit there getting more and more tangy, and generating more and more liquid. More about that later.

Put the following in a medium-sized bowl or other container:

1 cup King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
1 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, organic preferred
1/4 teaspoon sugar, Demerara preferred
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast, SAF Red or SAF Gold preferred
2 cups cool water

img_4296.JPG

Stir to combine.

img_4297.JPG

Mix till smooth. It’s very thin.

Cover, and let rest for 4 hours; or for up to 2 days, at cool room temperature.

img_4311.JPG

Here’s what it looks like after 2 days. Bubbly!

When you’re ready to make bread, stir the starter to recombine it with any freestanding liquid it’s generated.

img_3211.JPG

If it’s been resting a full 2 days, there may be quite a lot of liquid underneath.

img_4312.JPG

Read the note at the bottom of the list of ingredients below, about how much water to add. Then, combine with the starter in the bowl:

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt OR 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
6 tablespoons Demerara sugar or granulated sugar
4 teaspoons instant yeast, SAF Red or SAF Gold (special for sweet breads or sourdough) preferred
1/4 cup flax seed, ground (milled)
4 tablespoons butter or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup lukewarm water*

*The amount of water will vary here. If your starter has rested less than 2 days, and doesn’t have any freestanding liquid at the bottom, use 1/2 cup water. If the starter is very liquid and soupy, use just 2 to 4 tablespoons water.

img_4313.JPG

Mix everything till thoroughly combined.

img_4314.JPG

Sitr in an additional 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour.

img_4315.JPG

Beat till thoroughly combined. The dough may be VERY sticky, as it is here.

img_4316.JPG

If so, scrape down the sides of the bowl, then switch to the dough hook. Knead for about 7 minutes, till the dough is smooth and elastic.

img_3213.JPG

The dough may also be quite stiff, as it is here. A lot depends on how much liquid the starter generated, and how much water (if any) you added to the dough.

It’s OK for the dough to be sticky. It’s also OK for it to be firmer. A lot depends on the season, and the weather. You don’t want the dough so sticky it can’t hold its shape. Neither do you want it so dry it’s tough and stiff. An old rule of thumb is, when you poke “good” dough it should feel like a baby’s bottom: firm, yet giving.

img_4319.JPG

Cover the bowl of kneaded dough, and let it rise till it’s very puffy.

img_4337.JPG

Like this. This will take 1 to 2 hours.

img_4339.JPG

Scoop the dough out of the bowl, gently deflating it. Notice how nicely the gluten has developed, despite the whole grains.

img_4340.JPG

Next, divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a 9” log.

img_4341.JPG

Lightly grease two 9” x 5” loaf pans, and place each half of the dough in one pan.

img_4342.JPG

To make four loaves for sharing, divide each half of the dough in half again. Shape each piece into a ball, and nestle two balls, side by side, in each loaf pan.

img_4363.JPG

Cover the pans, and let each loaf rise till it’s crowned about 1” over the rim of the pan. This will take about 60 to 90 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat your oven to 350°F.

img_4369.JPG

The sharing loaves will snuggle into one another.

img_4366.JPG

Uncover the pans, and bake the bread for 20 minutes. Tent lightly with foil, and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until the center of the loaf registers 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.

img_4397.JPG

Remove the bread from the oven, and place it on a rack to cool. After about 5 minutes, turn the loaves out of the pans to cool completely on the rack.

img_4398.JPG

If you’ve made two loaves in a single pan, wait till they’re completely cool to gently separate, cutting with a knife if necessary.

img_4402.JPG

The sharing loaves are nice-looking, and a good size.

img_4596.JPG

This multigrain loaf makes wonderfully rustic peanut butter sandwiches. It’s also a tasty toasting bread. Thanks for sharing with us, Gail. Little did you know the recipe you slipped me one day last February would be shared with thousands of bakers around the world!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Sharing Bread.

Buy: Stop & Shop supermarket in-store bakery, Braintree, MA: Multigrain Sandwich Loaf, 24 oz., $5.29, 22¢/ounce

Bake at home: Sharing Bread, 22-ounce loaf, $1.52; 7¢/ounce

comments

1. PT

I LOVE making breads with starter. It makes the tastiest breads! And I love the idea of splitting the loaf BEFORE it bakes. How ingenious! Do you have any tips on how to make homemade breads stay fresh a little longer?

2. LT

So, in regards to the ascorbic acid… it is not something i ususally every use, but if you suggest it, I am willing to try it… here is the maybe somewhat bizzare question. Can i crush and powder up a vitamin C (ascorbic acid) tablet and then use 1/8 tsp? I have a great morter and pestle so being able to bring it down to a fine powder is not an issue for me (also especially because on my non-baking days I am a pharmacist ;) ).
    Thank you!
    LT

Sure, LT, grind away – vitamin C should be just fine (since they’re the same thing). Have fun – PJH

3. Sandy

Oh yum!!! I love fresh baked bread and used to make all my own bread when my grown kids were little (I grew up on homemade bread so I preferred to make my own). This recipe is fantastic. I will be visiting your store in November when up visiting the grandkids in NH. Plan to stock up on lots of stuff to have shipped home. Hopefully you will have the ground flax seed!

4. Lish

This looks delicious, but is there a substitute for ascorbic acid? Or could I skip it altogether? I don’t have any, and this is the only recipe I have that calls for it.

Lish, 1/8 teaspoon ascorbic acid in ANY yeast loaf helps. Yes, you can certainly go without; it’s not a deal-breaker. But if you bake a lot of bread, you might want to add it to your pantry; yeast loves it. PJH

5. Beth

This is such a clever idea. Just think how many little loaves you could get by filling up 2 or even 3 loaf pans for one bake. And I love the name: “Sharing Bread.”

Beth, if you take it to the limit, you have monkey bread, right? So it’s up to you… And glad you like the name! PJH

6. Melleah

This looks great– I may try this recipe this weekend. However, I don’t have any ascorbic acid (and I’m not sure that the local grocery store carries it). Will the bread be okay if ascorbic acid isn’t used?

Yes, Melleah, you can go without, the dough and shaped loaves just might take longer to rise. And if you’re a devoted bread baker, I recommend stocking it in your pantry; it lasts forever, and a little goes a long way. Good luck – PJH

7. Barbara

It a started the same thing as a sponge? I have friends who bake using the sponge method and I don’t quite know what that is. Thanks! I love the blog!

Thanks for your kind words, Barbara. A sponge is generally a short-time starter – i.e., a starter usually rests overnight, while a sponge only for a few hours. But basically the same idea – giving the yeast a head-start before making the dough. PJH

8. Yvonne

Can I use sourdough starter in place of starter described here?

Yes, Yvonne, use a scant 3 cups of fed starter, or about 24 ounces. PJH

9. Andie

How essential is the ascorbic acid?

Andie, ascorbic acid helps the yeast, and if you’re a devoted bread baker, it’s a good thing to have in your arsenal of ingredients. But just tack on a bit of extra rising time, if you don’t have it – PJH

10. Ginger

I am going to try this recipe using a tangy sour dough starter that I keep on hand in my refrigerator. Can you give me an idea of how much of my starter I should add to the dough ingredients?

Ginger, about 24 ounces, or a scant 3 cups, should do it. Enjoy – PJH

11. juliane in VA

JUST when i get my schedule priorities back in order (work, exercise, school, housecleaning/laundry) you toss a monkey wrench into my well-intentioned plans!
    Cooking/baking projects tend to be my undoing and you make it look so GOOD! (Even philanthropic!)
    So little time, so many recipes!
    So which will win out this weekend: exercise, laundry/organizing, or BAKING?
    Anyone willing to clean in trade for fresh bread???

Juliane, bread-baking doesn’t have to take a whole lot of time… I’d say make the starter Friday (all of about 5 minutes)l then Saturday, get the dough rising, then exercise; then shape, and let the loaves rise while you clean. YOU CAN DO IT ALL, SUPERWOMAN! :) PJH

12. Jonica

I love the idea of splitting the loaves. I cherish making bread and have so many requests to make bread. I am considered the bread lady of the family. I will start making these cute loves that are perfect for sharing. They will also work well when going to dinner parties. One for the meal, one for the host to enjoy later. Thanks KAF for another great idea.

13. Ruth

This is how my grandmother always shaped her bread. She used cake yeast, left the mixture out overnight, and completed the dough the next morning. Cooling loaves were covered with an old shawl. I have never been able to duplicate this bread, but it was delicious.

Her bread board and the shawl are gone, but I still have one old black bread pan.
    Oh, Ruth, you are very lucky to have such a treasure, and such wonderful memories. Happy Baking! ~ MaryJane

14. Kristine

Thank you for the bread making encouragement!

For some reason I think most people just assume that making bread is a monumental task. I’ve just recently started baking my own bread and wow- there is really nothing like that smell coming out of the oven and it really is such a feeling of accomplishment and pleasure to see my husband and kids’ faces light up over the whole process- they can’t get enough. As a result we are eating it more often than store bought bread- and subsequently I am baking a lot more! Hopefully the “novelty” of it will wear off soon and we will resort to our normal consumption rate! This recipe looks simple yet fabulous and is next on my list- thank you.

Just an FYI about the ascorbic acid dilemma a few people are having…. it is included in every packet of yeast (that I’ve seen in most supermarkets) that is labeled as “highly active” or “rapid rise”. Check the ingredient list…it’ll say “yeast, ascorbic acid”…you may already be using the acid and not even realize it. I understand it would probably be most ideal to use an organic yeast with the addition of ascorbic acid, but if you find yourself in a pinch or on a budget, the rapid rise should do the trick.
    Thanks for the info Kristine. Keep in mind though that Rapid Rise yeasts are formulated to work in one rise, and may not give you 2 rises as called for in this recipe.
    ~ MaryJane

15. Tom

What an incredibly good idea!

I almost wish I was going to be home this weekend so I could give it a try. The bread looks fantastic and dividing the loaf in the pan is sheer genius. I am curious though – it looks ‘seedier’ than I would expect. Did you use flax meal or roughly ground flax?

I hope the shoulder surgery went well! Thanks for the ideas.

-Tom
    HI Tom,
    The flax seed is ground. It’s item 1508 on our website, or you can find it in health food stores or the natural foods section of larger grocery stores. ~ MaryJane

I think you might be seeing the oats too, Tom. And the shoulder surgery went… OK. Not thrilled with the results, but still hoping time will heal. Thanks for asking – PJH

16. Sandy

Hi. Can I omit the flax seed, or substitute??
    HI Sandy, yes you can substitute for the flax seed. Perhaps ground sunflower seeds? Have fun! ~ MaryJane

17. Janene

I think that is a wonderful idea about splitting the loaves and baking them together. So cute! I love to share the bread I bake with those I love. I hadn’t planned on baking tomorrow, but I’m thinking I will! Thanks for the inspiration! Happy World Bread Day!

18. Mary Nelson

Can I substitute cracked wheat for all or part of the rolled oats in this bread recipe?
    Hi Mary,
    We haven’t tried the recipe with cracked wheat, so start with a small substitution, and if you like the results, you can increase the wheat next time you make the bread until you reach a ratio you are happy with. Enjoy! ~ MaryJane

19. mary mcdarby

this may be redundant since I sent a note to your bakers via regular e-mail but I was wondering about using this flour in a bread machine…
    HI Mary,
    Yes, you can use both the bread flour and the whole wheat flours in bread machines. ~ MaryJane

20. Emilie

My quick question is about the sugar — how close is Turbinado to Demarara? I’ve got one in my pantry but not the other. Are they interchangeable in your opinion? Thanks!
    Hi Emilie,
    Yes, you can use Turbinado for Demarara sugar, they are nearly identical. Happy Baking ~ MaryJane

21. Chris

I also grew up on homemade bread, but at the time while I was younger, I did not appreciate it because all my friends had “store-bought bread”. But now I appreciate all the work my mother did so that my sister and I stayed healthy. I do not remember my mother putting in ascorbic acid, but I understand how well it can work with the yeast. I love to make bread and will definitely try this recipe. I am a product of parents from the depression era, and am proud of it.

22. Dulce DeLeon

Hi there, I didn”t know that there was a celebration like this, I heard about Icecream Day and others. Good idea, I have all the ingredients on hand and a new baking pan with 6 mini loaf molds, so tomorrow some of my neiborghs will enjoy an small mini loaf of bread, so I will celebrate the Sharing Bread Day!!!

23. AP

I’ve heard flax seed can be hard to keep around before it goes rancid. Since I don’t have another use for it, can I substitute something else for the 1/4 cup of flax or just leave it out? A second question, could you freeze this bread after baking and have it taste just as good once thawed?
    HI AP,
    Yes, you can leave out the flax seed, or substitute another type of ground seed like sunflower. If you store flax seed in the freezer, it is less likely to go rancid.
    When you are freezing breads, be sure they are cool to the touch before wrapping well and labeling. You can refresh the bread in a 350 oven for 5-10 minutes and it will be great once again. Happy Baking! ~ MaryJane

24. Mitch

Gail,

I have NEVER had one of my loaves blow up like the photo of the single loaf (in the loaf pan). Are we attributing this incredible oven rise to the ascorbic acid? Or do I just not have the magic?

Also, I routinely bake with the regular KA whole wheat and bread flours that I purchase in my local supermarkets and don’t really want to bother ordering the white whole wheat flour. If I were to substitute the regular whole wheat flour for the white whole wheat flour in the starter, do you see that as a problem.

Thanks.

Hi Mitch,
    If you are getting small rises out of your breads, it may be that the dough is a bit on the dry side. Keep an eye on the texture of the dough and adjust if needed to get a soft dough that is slightly tacky to the touch. The ascorbic acid will also help give you a nice rise, but do check the dough texture as well.
    As for the traditional whole wheat, it behaves the same way in white whole wheat, so you can certainly use it as a substitute.
    ~ MaryJane

Hi Mitch – MaryJane is right – in general, the softer your dough (within reason), the higher the rise. And yes, you can use regular whole wheat; the bread will be darker, and more strongly flavored. Good luck – PJH

25. Marjorie

Hi, I love the idea of this bread. Do you need to use the organic white whole wheat flour? I don’t have any yet and I’d like to make this bread soon. I will order some from you if my store don’t carry it I have your white flour and the bread flour. Thanks for your imput. I too love the way you did 2 loafs in one great idea. My mother lives alone, so this size will be great for her.
    Hi Marjorie,
    You don’t need to use the organic version of the flour, it’s just a real favorite of PJ’s. The recipe will be fine with regular White Whole Wheat flour. ~ MaryJane

26. Patricia Kachold

Love this recipe. Can’t wait to try it out.
    I haven’t been able to find any recipes beginning with
    a starter. Many years ago I had a recipe for friendship bread,
    it was an Amish recipe. The recipe was lost and my days of baking with a starter ended there.
    Thanks again, can’t wait to get started and Share my Bread.

27. lisa

What if you dont have flax seed…. which I don’t, or the right pan, also which I dont. I love all your products and can’t wait for the catalog each month, I just wish there was something we could do about the horrible shipping costs to AK! I am still a loyal fan tho…
    HI Lisa,
    You can substitute for the flax seed. Perhaps ground sunflower seeds? Or you can leave it out altogether. The pan is a bit of a bigger issue. You can usually pick up a decent bread pan at a local department store, or kitchen shop in your area. It would be best to look around for the pan before making the recipe.
    Have fun! ~ MaryJane

28. Jane Spangler

To PT: I’m not sure what you mean by “fresh,” but to keep mold at bay, I wrap my bread in a length of paper towels (2-3 regular-size towels) to cover all sides before tucking it into a plastic bag. This works beautifully to discourage mold. This method gets a nod of approval from a professional baker in Los Altos, CA.
    In warm weather I cut my loaves in half and freeze one, wrapped the same way as above. This allows the paper towels to absorb any moisture created when the bread thaws.

29. Kathleen

This sounds absolutely delicious and I love the idea of dividing the dough to make two loaves in each pan. I’m surprised no one thought of it a lot sooner. I have some wonderful neighbors who helped me in a time of need. I love baking and sharing with them. They, of course, enjoy eating their “rewards” as much as I enjoy sharing with them. King Arthur’s test kitchen crew is the greatest. Thank you for another great recipe.

30. Sylvie

I don’t have a mixer, so am always concerned about sticky doughs.
    How do you handle mixing and kneading this by hand, without adding extra flour?
    Hi Sylvie,
    Try using some water or a touch of oil on your hands as you work with the dough. This helps keep the dough from sticking all over you without added flour. Using plastic dough scrapers as “extra” hands can be a big help as well. ~ MaryJane

31. Bobbi

This recipe looks wonderful! I hope to try it this weekend. The good news is, I’m not going to ask anything about ascorbic acid! :)

Could you make this recipe using only King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour? No bread flour? I know this would affect the rise of the loaf. Possibly compensate by adding a little vital gluten? Thanks for your fantstic products and recipes!
    HI Bobbi,
    We haven’t tried the loaf as 100% whole wheat. You’ll definitely need to experiment with this. Have fun and let us know how it goes! ~ MaryJane

32. Jonica

OH! You’re my new favorite blogger fyi

33. Kathy

I, too, love making bread and your sharing bread recipe is a great idea. Our town has a small food pantry that supplies a few struggling families with donated non perishable foods. We have recently been trying to find a way to occasionally provide some fresh foods as well. I will make this recipe so that fresh bread can be included when we make our deliveries.
    Thanks KAF.
    Thanks Kathy, for sharing with us, and with your community. I’m sure those families appreciate all that you and others do for them. ~ MaryJane

34. Tess

For a few years I’ve been making bread using the recipe on the back of your K.A. Whole Wheat flour bag, adding in some ground flax ( use your coffee grinder with whole flax seed) as part of the flour. When giving away the second loaf, I always give credit to King Arthur for a great recipe! Instead of using a bread pan, I divide the dough into two balls and bake them on a cookie sheet. Interested in adding in ascorbic acid if that will produce a better loaf. Thanks for great recipes!

35. ErolB1

I have a similar recipe that I make every week. I make two loaves, take one in to work, and it’s very popular. The biggest difference is that I use milk & honey (scalded together in the microwave), and don’t use flax seed.

One minor problem: My version with milk works well, but I need a dairy-free version for my nephew who has a very bad dairy allergy. And I can’t get a dairy-free version to rise well. So I’m interested in seeing what makes this recipe (the variant with oil rather than butter) a good riser.

WRT ascorbic acid. I have a jar that I got from the local mall vitamin-shop. I tried it once, and didn’t notice any difference. I’ll have to try it again.

36. Andrea

This is a must try for me! I love the look of the little loaves, they are the perfect size for us to go with a meal since we never finish a loaf. And definately great for sharing, what a cute idea!
    We use alot of ground flax seed, mostly as an egg substitute since my son has an egg allergy. FYI to those who don’t normally purchase flax seed – it is widely available at most grocery stores now! You can purchase it already ground or in seed form and grind it yourself.
    I love bread recipes that do not require exact timing.
    Can I use regular instant yeast? I don’t have any SAF yeast, but I do love an excuse to visit the KAF store.
    Thanks!
    Hi Andrea, thanks for the flax tips. Yes, you can use any instant yeast. We just love our SAF :). Now is a perfect time to visit us here in Vermont. The bakery is making pumpkin whoopie pies, my favorite. Have one for me when you go! ~ MaryJane

37. Jane

What a sweet idea! Funny how such a simple idea, really, never even occurred to me. This is one of my favorite ideas that you have shared in recent posts.
    I am a seasoned bread maker, but never have used ascorbic acid. What, in your opinion, are the “musts” or little additions that make the difference in bread? I use gluten and malt powder in every loaf I make and am excited to try something else in my little kitchen laboratory.

Thanks for sharing!
    Hi Jane,
    It is fun to try new products but use just a hint of caution. You don’t “need” a lot of additions to make great bread, and it can be overdone. If you want to try the ascorbic acid, you won’t need the malt powder at the same time. Try a loaf with each and see which one you prefer. It’s all part of the fun of baking! ~ MaryJane

38. skeeters

I love how this bread looks and I love having the little loaf to share …. Question: Can I substitute diastatic malt powder for the ascorbic acid?
    Yes, you can use the diastatic malt for the ascorbic acid. Just remember with diastatic malt that a little goes a long way, and too much will turn your dough into soup, so use just 1/4 teaspoon, no more. Happy Baking!~ MaryJane

39. Lish

Did you say pumpkin whoopie pies? My husband and I are coming Sunday for the pasta class, so I guess I know what I will be bringing back to the babies! Plus a couple to eat in the car, it is a long trip back to CT after all! Can’t wait for the class, and of course to shop! Will most assuredly be picking up some ascorbic acid for my biweekly bread baking. Love to try anything new to improve my baking for my family. I was very proud of myself this week, as I pretty much created my own recipe for mulitgrain bread! Very exciting to be confident enough to try something new, and not fearing failure. I want to thank KAF for that!
    Lish, what a bummer! I usually work at the pasta classes, but not this time, so I won’t get to meet you. I’m sure you will have a fantastic time, the class is sooo much fun and you get to eat and eat. You’ll love Rosemary as a teacher. She is so knowledgable, and has such respect for food. Have a wonderful time and try a whoopie for me. ~ MaryJane

40. Mrs. Hittle

i have a question about the water amount. i have baked with starters before, but not enough to really understand them. Why is it that the standing liquid amount changes the amount of water added to the recipe? My thought is that it would be about hydration level rather than how soupy it looks, and the hydration level in the starter would be the same regardless of if it has separated, since it had the same amount of water added to it at the beginning. Do you know what makes the difference there?

Yes – as the starter sits, the yeast consumes more flour, and produces more and more liquid alcohol as a result of fermentation. Thus the starter becomes more and more liquid, and that’s the difference. PJH

41. Patti

Can I make the dough in my Zojirushi? What adjustments should be made to the recipe for a bread maker?

Patti, I think this is too much dough for your Zo – you’d best cut the recipe in half. Make the starter in a bowl ahead of time; then combine it with the remaining dough ingredients, and go from there, using the dough cycle. Should work fine – PJH

42. Mike T.

Looks great, but as today is Friday, the bread that I will be making and sharing is Challah. You can bet that I’ll try this one tho… :-)

Thanks PJ!

43. SJ

Hi. Can I use baguette pans instead of the loaf ones? I have already started recipe; forgot I recycled my loaf pans. Thanks

Give them a try – you won’t get the same type of bread, it’ll be crustier. You could try round cake pans – try putting 3 or 4 round balls in a cake pan (like you would sticky buns, only bigger) – might be interesting. PJH

44. Jill from Anchorage

I have made bread for my family for years. There is just nothing like it for morning toast and sandwiches. Even though my children are grown with families of their own, they still head for the bread box when they walk in our door. I’m looking forward to using this recipe. Sounds wholesome and delicious. In all my years of baking, I’ve never thought of splitting the dough into two loaves per pan. Let’s hear it for those who think “outside of the box!” And Vitamin C pills ground for the Ascorbic Acid – fantastic. Most all of us have those around our homes.

In response to Lisa from Alaska, has KAF considered using the USPS flat rate boxes for shipping items to Alaska? It saves you money and us too as UPS and FedEx have exhorbitant Alaska shipping rates.

Jill, we’ve looked at shipping to Alaska every which way – it’s a real challenge. I’d assume we’ve looked at the flat rate boxes, but I’ll definitely pass this suggestion along to our operations people – thanks! PJH

P.S. Sandy, our ops manager, says she’ll definitely check this out. Thanks again – PJH

45. Kathryn Henry

I do a lot of canning and I am wondering if Fruit Fresh can be used to replace the ascorbic acid. What do you think?

Yes, I think if you check the label, Fruit Fresh is ascorbic acid. Frank @ KAF.

46. Rebecca Madsen

Is it possible for you to have a printable version with each recipe? I LOVE your recipes but don’t have a computer in the kitchen which makes it hard to follow.

You will find this option on every recipe. It is the third choice in the line directly below the recipe title. Frank @ KAF

Rebecca, link to the original recipe from the link at the end of the blog. Then, as Frank says, “printable version” is below the recipe title, just above the photo. PJH

47. Sheila

Can i use a little lemon juice in place of ascorbic acid .I’m a gread fan of this website
    Sheila,
    If you don’t have the ascorbic acid, you can leave it out rather than replacing with lemon. ~ MaryJane

48. TiV

Made the dough and it is rising now – hopefully:) I used 2 cups of rolled oats as said in the recipe. The dough became very very dry and I had not used the remaining 3 cups of flour yet. Had to use quite a lot of extra water. Let´s see how it will be, I used whole spelt flower instead of whole wheat. Might be that the oats might need different amounts of water?
    HI TiV,
    Yes, different flours will absorb water differently. Use the look and feel of your dough as your guide. ~ MaryJane

49. Joy

What is the best way to keep the bread fresh and the best way to freeze the bread, and one more……how long can you freeze it? Ilove your recipes and have made several with great success (and pounds!).

Joy, keep the bread fresh for up to a week, tightly wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature. Freeze for up to 2 months or so, realizing it’ll be deteriorating little by little all the time; again, tightly wrapped in plastic, then in foil. To restore, cut off how much you want; wrap lightly in foil, and reheat for about 10 minutes at 350°F. PJH

50. Linda

This is about the best whole-grain bread recipe I’ve ever had the pleasure of making! Perfect texture, slightly sweet, nice hearty feel to it. Kids liked it! Yes! The kids liked it! (Score one for mom er, King Arthur).

We prefer bread baked daily, so I tend not to make full recipes. This recipe halved perfectly! I purchased golden flax seeds from the grocery (having never used them before) and ground them in my spice grinder. I also ground half the oatmeal (fearing if the kids saw too many oatmeal flakes they would flake on eating it.) I used fruit fresh for the citric acid.

This is an outstanding loaf of bread! (I made the split loaf and did, in fact, give one away on World Bread Day, lol:)

Linda, good show – score one for all of us, kids included. And thank you so much for participating in World Day of Bread by giving a loaf away. What better gift? PJH

51. Knead2quilt

I made the starter last night abd just took my loaves out of the oven. Didn’t bave flax seeds to grind or the ascorbic so I simply ignored those ingredients. Ended up with gorgeous looking bread (2 loaves divided into 2 “balls” each) and can’t wait to share with my neighbors. There’s nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread! Thanks for yet another keeper recipe.
    K2Q

Sharing warm bread – it doesn’t get any better, does it? :) PJH

52. Rick

As a self taught baker, I thoroughly enjoyed the article with pictures. It was very informative and gave me a chance to see and understand baking better. It is also the first time I’ve heard of the “ascorbic acid” trick. Got to give both a try. Thanks.

53. Gody

This looks great, but I have a question is ground flax seed meal the same as flax seed milled.
    Thanks in advance.

Yes, ground flax seed and milled flax seed are the same thing… PJH

54. Mike Johnson

Made this yesterday–very good. starter was 17 hours old, moderate liquid, good smell. Used 3 of the 4 oz. of added water. No flax added. Uesd sea salt 1.5t. wet dough 57 oz. Baked 30 minutes @ 350, internal temp. 194. No tent. Butters well ( strong) makes great toast. Tks.

Mike, thanks for your Twitter-like report – everything we need to know about your experience with this recipe. I find it so valuable to see/hear what other bakers do with a recipe – thanks again. PJH

55. Lindsay McSweeney

I echo everyone here about the brilliance of how to make two small loaves; for the two of us it’s great. Oh, and the bread makes great French toast.

However, there was a small problem with your instructions. I used the weights, which I preferred. The ingredients called for 19 ounces of bread flour in the dough. However, the instructions called for 4 1/2 cups of flour. Since one cup of bread flour weights 4 7/8 ounces, the 4 1/2 cups would actually be almost 22 ounces. I used the 19 ounces, 4 tablespoons of water and it came out perfectly.

Difference is in measuring, Lindsay – we use the sprinkle and sweep method, which yields a weight of 4 1/4 ounces for 1 cup of bread flour. Take a look at our how to measure flour page for both instructions, and a video. Glad your bread came out well anyway! PJH

56. Allan

I have a week off starting on Tuesday and I plan on baking bread each day; going back through the blog and picking seven recipes to make but I’m going to start with this and finish with biscotti on Monday. So when anyone asks me how my vacation was I’m going to give them a piece of biscotti and let them come to their own conclusions. BTW… I order the ascorbic acid from KA a while ago but haven’t used it but if it works as well for dough as the espresso powder does for chocolate, it goes in all my bread. I put an eighth of a teaspoon into tonight’s bread machine dough just to see what happens.
    HI Allan,
    Sounds like a great vacation to me, have fun! ~ MaryJane

57. Milinda

Thank you! While I haven’t made this particular recipe yet, I did make my standard multi-grain today and split the loaf. This is wonderful. I am single and only bake every two weeks but by the end of that second week, the bread is a bit iffy–assuming that mold hasn’t visited my kitchen. By splitting the loaf like this, I can easily put one in the freezer. For some reason, a whole loaf recovers from the freezer much better than a half loaf.

Thank you!

58. Sue

Awesome! I made this bread this weekend and turned out great. I split the loafs which I think will keep better, and shared one with a friend. I did not have any ascorbic acid on hand, not even Vit C. However I did have sourdough starter. I refreshed it and used about 1/4 cup, and added it to my starter. My starter was quite happy. I let the starter sit for about a day and made the bread. They were gorgeous. I like to feed my family multigrain bread, but have not found one they liked. They had no problem eating this one. Just one question, if I want to bake it in batches can I split the dough after the first rise, and refrigerate half? I can take it out later and let it rise the second time. I realize the second rise will take longer, but I can have fresh bread 2x a week. If this can be done, how long can I keep it in the fridge?
    Because the yeast will lose its ooomph, it’s best not to let the dough site for longer than overnight. Molly @ KAF

59. Sue

Wow! It’s been quite a while since I’ve made any bread like that. And it was a Braided Cheese Bread which looked as good as the bread pictured here. I also used to use my bread maker to make Cinnamon Raisin Bread and Pumpkin Bread.

And it all is wonderful having been made fresh. Thanks for the article
    on the bread making.

60. Kevin

This bread was a LARGE hit not only in my house , but several others as well. I’ve already been told that more of this bread must be on the table tomorrow. btw…ground up vitamin C pills worked perfectly.

61. Lish

This bread looks great, as it is rising now. The ascorbic acid does seem to make a difference. Bought it yesterday. The pasta class was absolutely wonderful. But I was so disappointed, there were no pumpkin whoopie pies! The sweet potato tortelloni we made in class totally made up for it though. So amazing.
    Me too Lish! We were out shopping yesterday and I told my husband I’d get him a whoopie, only to show up and NO Whoopies. Boooo hooooo hoooo we cried! Glad to hear you enjoyed the class ~ MaryJane

62. Mary

I would never have attempted this bread without the pictures and detailed instructions, as it is more complex than the usual recipes I use for my mini Zo. Thanks for the details.

I cut the recipe in half. Since I couldn’t find powdered ascorbic acid in our small town, I used KAF Whole Grain Bread Improver that I recently bought; it contains ascorbic acid, among other things. It seemed to work. I already had the flax and the Demerara sugar. When the starter was ready and I had time, I used a spoon to combine the starter with the dough ingredients and then dumped it all in my mini Zo for kneading on the dough cycle. (The mini Zo is large enough to knead a large loaf, but not large enough to bake it. It bakes a smaller one pound loaf.) There is a rest period at the beginning of the dough cycle and I think it may have helped with the absorption of the liquid. After the kneading, I made the two balls and put them in the loaf pan as directed. It turned out wonderfully well – two beautiful small loaves.

I’ll certainly make this bread again and try two small loaves with other recipes. Thank you!

And Mary, thanks for sharing your experience with the Zo Mini – it’s a great little machine, isn’t it? Love the footprint – same size as a piece of 8 1/2″ x 11″ paper. It’s a real charmer, and works just fine for kneading the dough for single loaves. PJH

63. Alice

I also have NEVER been able to get my bread to rise as high as the one in the photo. I proof my yeast first and then continue with recipe. We DO get nice fluffy bread but just smaller. Is there a rule of thumb that says each bread loaf should have at least 3 cups of flour or something like that? Also, the fluffy bread is WHITE breads and my WW NEVER is nice and fluffy. We bake all of our breads (for about 2 1/2 years for a family of 6!) and I want less white and more whole wheat and we want fluffy. I’m trying this recipe and the starter is happening as I speak! Can’t wait to see if I can get a high rise this time!
    Hi Alice,
    Are you sure your pans are 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″? If the pan is bigger, your 3 cup flour recipe won’t rise to fill the pan. ~ MaryJane

64. Kevin

Is there a difference between Demerara sugar and Turbinado sugar???
    Hi Kevin,
    There isn’t much of a difference between the two sugars, and most bakers consider them interchangable. Demerara tends to be a bit more molasses-y, and turbinado has honey tones, but in baked goods like this it would not be noticeable. ~ MaryJane

65. Catherine Garone

This loaf just gave me the excuse I needed to order your organic flour. I am a regular baker and have most items needed in my pantry. Professional bread bakers seem to swear by “organic” and think it makes a better loaf. I’m willing to try.

Not too long ago I made a “7 grain” loaf and used WHOLE sunflower seeds. I think I would prefer it to grinding them up – after all they are so tiny they are hardly noticeable. I am not crazy about flaxseeds but know how nutricious they are. I buy them already ground-up, when I need them in the supermarket.

There are only 2 people in my family, and we don’t share the same taste in bread. I ALWAYS FREEZE OUR BREAD and take it out to defrost a short time before a meal. With a sharp knife it can be cut when it begins to defrost and then the slices soften quickly. I put the remaining loaf right back in the freezer for the next meal. I use freezer-type ziplock bags. I sucessfully freeze all rolls, bread, waffles, pancakes, cakes, etc., because I like the out-of-the-oven taste. After all the work it takes to make good homemade stuff, I want to enjoy it for as long as I can.

Thanks for all of the great recipes.

66. Matt

Is the recipe right in calling for a total of 4 1/4 teaspoons of yeast? I made this recipe last weekend, and the dough doubled in volume in something under half an hour and kept going like gangbusters even after I put it into the refrigerator to retard the rise, even though I hadn’t added any ascorbic acid. I’m thinking that the next time I make this recipe I’ll cut down on the quantity of yeast by about half and see what happens.

You can certainly cut back the yeast, Matt; I find this rather fast-rising, too, but wanted to stay true to Gail’s recipe to see where it took me. Your dough will also rise very quickly if it’s on the slack (moist) side, and I’m betting yours was. Give it a try with about 2 teaspoons, and I’ll bet it’ll slow down to your liking. Good luck – PJH

67. mariette verboven

could you please send me a recipe of white bread made with fresh yeast,thank you

Sorry, Mariette, we don’t have any white bread recipes written specifically for fresh yeast. But if you’re asking for one, I assume you know how to work with fresh yeast, so here’s our favorite white bread recipe. I believe an ounce of fresh yeast is what you’d substitute for the instant, dissolving it in the water first. Hope this works out well for you – PJH

68. Jill

I made this a few days ago and it was so fabulous! I used quick rise yeast because I was confused about the yeast, but it worked out fine. I’ll try the SAF next time, and there will be a next time!

69. Julie

I made this bread yesteday and just loved it. Ate half a loaf by accident! It rises really well and has a nice complex flavor. If I am not using a mixer, how much should I knead by hand? I did it just a minute or two until the dough felt good, but the gluten did not develop as much as in your pictures. Also, I greased the bowl it was rising in. Does that make a difference?

Julie, I’d think you’d need to knead this for at least 7 minutes, maybe more like 10, with a couple of minutes rest midway. And greasing the bowl is just fine – doesn’t really make a difference, that dough will rise as much as it wants, grease or no… PJH

70. Deb

I made this recipe last weekend and it was great- but tried again yesterday and ran into a problem I seem to get fairly frequently. The dough rises beautifully in the pan, but seems to collapse when it gets to the oven. Occasionally I have issues with the dough sticking to the cover during the rise causing problems when it’s pulled off at the end, but there was no sticking going on here. What do you think I’m doing wrong? (Don’t get me wrong, the taste was great and these loaves will NOT go to waste- more likely they will go to waist!)
    This sounds like a problem with overproofing if your dough collapses when you put it into the oven. You can spray or oil your cover ( I assume you are using plastic) and that should take care of the sticking problem. Joan @bakershotlineg

71. Dany

This bread looks great !!. I have some questions however,
    1. Can I use your 1576 loaf improver instead ?.
    2. Can i use sourdough starter, and active dry yeast ?
    3. If the rising time ends when dough is 1″ crowned over the rim, does the final rise take place in the owen ?
    Thanks.

1. Instead of which ingredient?
    2. Yes – it’ll be different, but it should work. You’ll need to add more water to the dough than is called for – not sure how much more, it’ll depend on the liquidity of your starter. Do it by eye, to make a soft dough. If you’re asking about active dry yeast, I’ll assume you know how to use it, so won’t go into that here.
    3. Yes, final rise takes place in the oven – it’s called “oven spring.”
    Hope this helps – PJH

72. Tamara D

Fantastic! We love this bread. I usually make one loaf and 12 dinner rolls with the recipe. I have been making this every other day. We can not get enough. I also add 1/4 cup of whole flax seed to the 1/4 ground and add 3/4 cup of raw sunflower seeds. Sometimes use honey instead of the sugar. This is a keeper ……….
    We thank you!

Love the addition of the extra seeds, Tamara – thanks for sharing your success! PJH

73. Angie

I tried this yesterday and it was just okay. I will have to get the ascorbic acid since my bread did not rise that high, it just went down the outside of my loaf pans.

Angie, it sounds like your bread rose, then collapsed if it went down the side of the pan. Perhaps it was a bit too soft? Did you let ti rise more than 1″ ovr the rim of the pan? I don’t think ascorbic acid is the issue here – try making it again with a bit firmer dough, and letting it rise till it’s 1″ above the rim of the pan – no more, because it’ll rise more in the oven. Hope your next attempt is more successful – PJH

74. Angela

I baked this bread today. I can not believe how fast it rises. The first rise was about 1hr 15 min and the second was only about 45 min and it was 1 in over the top and it continued to rise in the oven. It turned out beautiful and the taste is wonderful. Will be making this bread often. It is really quick and easy to make. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

75. Alvara

I’ve made this twice since you posted it. I love it. I have shared it each time and all who received it also loved it. It is wonderful for toast. Thanks for another great recipe.

And thanks for sharing your bread, Alvara. That’s so much of what baking is about – PJH

76. Adele Humphrey

I have to tell you how wonderful your blogs are, and the pictures take all the guesswork out of baking! While a lot of folks are writing about the asorbic acid, I have a question on the yeast. I’ve been reading all the blogs this year about making rolls and different kinds of bread, and they all list the SAF red yeast. All the customer comments praise it and it’s listed as the yeast of choice by KAF kitchen testers. It sounds like it’s the best thing since sliced bread! (Sorry for the bad joke!) I’ve been thinking that would be the answer to the problems I have been having with an old family recipe (a braided sweet bread with nuts and raisins), which is beautifully risen when I put it in the oven, only to fall while baking (after two rises and spending hours on it!). I was all ready to order the SAF Red, THEN I see this recipe and it recommends the SAF Gold for sweet breads! If I wanted to make your hamburger buns, rolls and other breads, as well as a sweet-yeast bread, could I just use the SAF Gold or do I really need to buy both? Is there a problem if only one type is used? Thanks for your help!Generally the red is the all-purpose yeast. it can be used for sweet doughs, but you may want to increase the amount by about 1/2 teaspoon. I keep both yeasts in my freezer, but use the red the most. Mary @ KAF

77. Kate

XThis bread looks delicious. I’ve been using the two loafs in one pan trick since I read about it in Cook’s Illustrated a few years ago. It works great. But this is another recipe calling for a 9×5 pan. I have 8 1/2″ and 10″ Chicago Metallic pans, all from KAF and which I love. But I’ve searched for a 9×5 pan, one without nonstick coating, without success. I wish KAF would stock this size especially since you’re giving us all these tempting recipes specifying that size.
    Have you looked at our new 9X5 pan item 4664? It does have a coating but it is an enviromentaly friendly coating. We also have item 5785 tea loaf pan which bakes a wonderful quick bread. Joan @bakershotline

78. Magdalena

I made this bread yesterday, it came out very tasty but a bit dense.
    Could it be because I used KAF Whole Wheat Flour? Or could there be another reason.
    I would appreciate your feedback.
    Great blog, I enjoy reading it. Thanks.

Yes, whole wheat will make a somewhat denser loaf than white wheat, in my experience. Did you use King Arthur bread flour, as well? Did it rise, and then fall? Please call our bakers’ hotline, 802-649-3717, and they can talk you through this, OK? PJH

79. Willian Lundy

Superb! In my second batch I subbed 1 cup of 12-grain flour for 1 cup of white, and the results were still superb. Everyone who has received one of these marvelous loaves has loved everything about it. Some have separated the halves and frozen one part (that is, if they haven’t scarfed down most of it already) — an excellent idea for our single friends or those who (sadly) don’t eat a lot of bread.

Thanks for sharing, Bill – your bread, and your experiences. That’s what it’s all about… PJH

80. Phyllis Lauber

I was so excited to find this recipe and am trying it today – my first time to make bread. My six-year old son and I have also given it a new name – Snuggle Loaves.

Oh, Phyllis… that’s sweet. Thanks for sharing – now I’ll always remember it by that name… PJH

81. Laura

My regular oven has not been working for a bit so I bought a bread machine. So far I’ve just been using pre packaged mixes but am ready to start trying something else. Any advice and tips would be appreciated. I would very much like to adapt some of my Mom’s recipes for blueberry bread and apple sauce cake for this machine as well. Can’t afford to replace the regular oven right now and the cooktop works just fine.

Laura, use breads that call for about 3 to 3 1/2 cups of flour; and don’t choose ones that need long, long rises. Start simple. As for cake, think of it as a little tiny oven; Fill the pan maybe 1 1/2″ or so full, and bake? Best to consult the instructions, I guess, as I can’t quite remember how to use the cake/jam cycle… Good luck – my oven hasn’t worked for 10 years. (Lucky I work where I do!) PJH

82. Tom Garbacik

Used the ‘two-balls-in-one-pan’ technique today. I had a batch of PaddyL’s buttermilk sourdough (from the Baking Circle) and decided to do two pans of the double loaves. Worked great. We kept one half-loaf and shared three. Thanks for the idea! -Tom

83. Tom

I baked this recipe today – you guys are generating recipes faster than I can try them! I used the ‘two-balls-in-one-pan’ method. Wonderful!! Great flavor, excellent texture. This IS a keeper!

Thanks, Tom. Oh, and I’ll let you know when those oatmeal cookies are ready… PJH

84. Jude

I’m a novice sourdough baker and would like to bake this delicious bread. I returned home from a trip to Alaska with a starter and have been enjoying bread ever since. I just scoop a cup or 2 and create an addictive masterpiece. My question is the amount of sourdough starter used. Is it equivalent to 2 cups or more. Love the Blog (especially the photos) as well as your products. Thanks for your help. -Jude

Sorry, Jude, don’t understand your question – is the sourdough starter equivalent to 2 cups or more of.. what? Clarify, please – PJH

85. Jude

Sorry, maybe I can be clearer. I would not be making your starter because I already have my own. I did not know how many cups of my starter would equal yours. Most sourdough bread recipes I use call for either 1 or 2 cups of starter, your starter recipe looks like it may produce more than that. I was just wondering if you knew how many cups your starter makes. If this is still confusing, I’ll just experiment. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

No problem, Jude – that’s what we’re here for! I think most starters are similar – they vary in thickness and sourness, of course, but all are flour/water/wild yeast. I’d use our starter in the amount the recipe calls for – no adjustment needed. Hope this helps – PJH

86. Jude

Clarification I was planning on using my own starter vice yours. I was wondering if you knew how much product your starter produced so I could add the equivalent of my starter to the remaining ingredients (oats thru water). Most of my sourdough recipes require either 1 or 2 cups of starter to make bread loaves. If this is an unknown, I’ll just start experimenting. Hopefully this makes my question clearer. Thanks for your help.
    Give us a call at the Baker’s Hotline to discuss this further. Molly @ KAF

87. diane

I have made this recipe a few times now, and I really love it.

This time, though, I let the starter sit for close to 3 days (I forgot). I mixed it up anyway, and its rising right now. It definitely smells fermented. but I cant tell if its in a good way or a bad way. J

Will it be ok?

It’ll be fine, Diane – just a bit more tangy/sour than it’s been in the past. If it was “bad,” it would smell bad, like something had died, vey unpleasant; so long as it smells alcoholic/sour, you’re all set. PJH

88. Bev

This bread turned out fabulously! I was concerned as at first it seemed to wet, then after correction it seemed to dry, then after more correction, to wet, you can see the pattern… I finally just left it to the universe and low and behold fantastic bread – great texture, bite, flavor.

Also, due to my poor timing, the bread had risen its 1″ in the pan and the oven was not heated. So by the time it was fully heated the loaves were huge. I was expecting very collapsed, deflated loaves, but to my surprise I had 2 loaf pans of “Dolly Parton” bread (I had made the “splitable loaves”). They had risen. And risen, and risen. Big, bold and huge. I wish I could download the photo!

I only used 3 tsp yeast and feel I could cut down to 2. But I did use bread enhancer which has the ascorbic acid, lecithin & ginger.

Good show, Bev – your kitchen must be a very happy atmosphere for yeast. Sometimes things just come together perfectly – weather, season, yeast, recipe – and you get these unbelievably buxom loaves… Glad the recipe was a success for you! PJH

89. Stacey

I made this bread today and it turned out so good! Using an electric knife allowed me to cut it while it was still hot. Have you had luck when freezing a loaf? I was thinking of putting a half loaf or 2 in a food saver bag and freezing it for later. Thanks for the great recipe!

Yes, Stacey, this freezes well, so long as you wrap it tightly in plastic (once it’s absolutely cool), then over-wrap with foil. I wouldn’t keep it frozen for more than am onth; the longer in the freezer, the drier it’ll get… Glad you enjoyed it- PJH

90. Caroline

I made this recipe last week and I really liked it. I made one sharing loaf and 12 cloverleafs to go with some chili (yum!). I’ve made two adjustments this time: I used 1/2 tablespoon less sugar (the bread was a little sweet for my liking before) and I added 2 tablespoons of wheat germ for a nuttier twist. Everything went beautifully and now I have enough bread to weather the snow storm that’s coming in tonight in eastern Pennsylvania!

The sharing loaf concept is perfect for me because I can freeze 3 mini-loaves and keep one out. It never lasts long enough to go moldy! I love this recipe. Thank you!

And Caroline, thank YOU for sharing your tips and tweaks here. The wheat germ sounds delicious – I’ll have to try that. Best of luck with that snow! PJH

91. Casey

Thank goodness for this blog! I made this recipe two times with the same unacceptable result. I was working just with the printed recipe and I used all the ingredients exactly as posted except not organic flour. Each time I had very dense, dry, hardly risen loaves. But the first rise on both attempts was superb – happened quickly and went to near triple bulk. I was NOT to be outdone by this really wonderful recipe whose ingredients I always have on hand so I knew it could become my favorite. So I looked up the recipe again and went to the blog (do you know that if you type Sharing Bread in the blog search, this is not the first recipe that comes up?) Reviewed the steps and read the comments….all of them (whew). Wet dough? Sticky dough? I had just found my problem. Set a starter to brew last night at 10 p.m. and started working with it today at noon. Making sure that I added all the water, and then a bit. Currently there are two beautifully high loaves baking in my oven. Amen. Thank you for a Keeper Recipe – just took me a while to get here!

And Casey, thanks for persevering. Glad the bread’s working out for you today. yes, search on our blog platform, WordPress, is just awful… I’m really sorry about that. Unless/untill we move to a new platform, we just have to put u p with it. But you can always link from the recipe to the blog directly. Cheers – PJH

92. sandylee6

Well you have heard it all before – You guys/gals are the BEST!! So patient with all us novices — I am ready to try this recipe – I think I am fully informed ;-) On the side, I have one question –

I have your red yeast in a plastic container in my frig – should it be kept in the freezer for longer life and how long will an opened SAF yeast bag last??
    Thanks again – Sandy in CT

Sandy, yeast keeps best in the freezer; store it in glass or plastic, tightly capped. It should last up to a year; perhaps even longer. Enjoy- PJH

93. snowpeech

Hi! I just started the starter and didn’t realize the recipe is written for 4 mini loaves, not 2.. As much as I love bread, I only have one bread pan. Can I make the whole dough and throw half in the fridge while the other half bakes? It would be a difference of about 3 hours or so, I think.

Sure, not a problem at all… PJH