It’s beginning to feel a lot like… Thanksgiving.

img_2482.jpg

“The frost is on the pumpkin.”

Sure, we’ve all heard that expression (haven’t we, class?) It comes from the title of a famous poem (well famous to us American lit. majors) by James Whitcomb Riley, a short bit of doggerel that begins like this:

When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder’s in the shock…

I don’t know about the fodder being in the shock, but I sure am. I finally took my summer vacation last week, down on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Where the temperature was 20° below normal, the state was recording its earliest ever snowfall, and the frost was definitely on the punkin.

I’d envisioned mild 65°F days, gentle breezes, and lots of sun. And experienced instead a succession of gray/dark gray/darker gray days; and a Nor’easter packing 45mph winds (and kicking up 15′ seas).

It was pretty; it was spectacular; in fact, it was pretty spectacular. But warm enough to walk the golden sands? Not without successive layers of wool, fleece, and Gore-Tex.

The cold weather did inspire me to think ahead, though, to my favorite baking holiday: Thanksgiving.  Between the soft white dinner rolls, cranberry muffins, stuffing bread, and pie, I get to cover my favorite carb groups all in one glorious day.

At the end of which it’s not only the turkey that’s been stuffed.

The recent shortage of canned pumpkin, due to a poor harvest, inspired me to check out supermarkets down on the Cape, as well as our local market. And I’m happy to report that pumpkin appears to be in good supply; no need to hoard for the holidays.

But if you’ve already purchased a few cans “just in case,” and are wondering what to do with them besides make pie – try these muffins. Packed with cinnamon bits and cranberries, they’re the perfect accompaniment to a cup of hot coffee.

dsc_0070_2.jpg

Preferably enjoyed while watching a glorious Cape Cod sunset.

img_2431.jpg

Do you like cinnamon? I do. And I love the assertive flavor of our cinnamon Flav-R-Bites. I know, wacky name (and yes, they look like pet kibble); but these little nuggets of sugar, flour, and cinnamon pack a healthy hit of cinnamon.

Since they need liquid to soften, they’ll be kind of crunchy in something like a scone (unless it’s a high-moisture drop scone), or cookies. But they’re just perfect in muffins, cake, and quick bread. If you want to use them in scones or cookies (or yeast bread), and don’t like the crunchiness, just soak them in water or milk for 30 minutes, drain, and go for it.

img_2427.jpg

Combine the following in a mixing bowl:

1 cup pumpkin purée, about half of a 15 1/2-ounce can
2 large eggs
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, light or dark
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice; pumpkin pie spice; or 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves + 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cinnamon Flav-R-Bites or cinnamon chips

img_2428.jpg

Stir till smooth, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl to combine thoroughly.

img_2430.jpg

Next you’ll combine the dry ingredients, starting with 1 1/2 cups of flour. We like a combination of all-purpose and white whole wheat flours. Use all AP (for a higher rise), or all white whole wheat (for more fiber and a lower rise), if desired. I’ve decided on 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, and 3/4 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour.

Notice the AP flour on the top, whole wheat on the bottom; very little difference in look or texture, eh? That’s because white whole wheat is a lighter, milder whole wheat flour than its red-wheat counterpart. I often use it in muffins and cookies, because you really can’t tell the difference; try anywhere from 50% to 100% of the total flour.

img_2432.jpg

Add 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 cup dried cranberries.

img_2433.jpg

Whisk to combine.

img_2435.jpg

Add to the wet ingredients.

img_2436.jpg

Stir to combine.

img_2437.jpg

No need to beat; stirring with a spatula is fine.

img_2505.jpg

Cover the bowl, and let the batter rest for 30 minutes, while you preheat your oven to 400°F. You’ll notice the leavening has started to work during this resting period; the batter will have lightened and become a bit “spongy.”

img_2504.jpg

Grease 12 wells of a standard muffin pan; or line with papers, and grease the papers.

Note: This recipe makes a generous amount of batter. If the cups in your your muffin pan are on the small side, you may have to bake a couple of extra muffins in a second batch. OR cut back the cranberries and chips to 2/3 cup each. The pan I’m using here has cups that are 2 5/8” across the inside top, 1 3/8” deep.

img_2506.jpg

Deposit the batter by the generous 1/4-cupful (a slightly heaped muffin scoop works well here) into the prepared pan. If you have a scale, each muffin will be about 90g, about 3 1/8 ounces.

img_2452.jpg

Next, choose your topping sugar. I love Swedish pearl sugar. It’s bright-white, and makes a big visual statement.

img_2451.jpg

Here’s pearl sugar on the left, coarse white sparkling sugar, my decorating standby, on the right. The pearl’s a tiny bit bigger.

img_2511.jpg

Sprinkle the top of each muffin with about 1/2 teaspoon sugar.

img_2448.jpg

Here’s the sparkling sugar going on – right out of the jar. I usually don’t bother to measure; just sprinkle till the top of each muffin is completely coated.

img_2517.jpg

Place the muffins in the preheated 400°F oven. Yeah, there’s one missing here; I was doing some kind of experiment, the nature of which now escapes me…

img_2518.jpg

Bake the muffins for 20 to 21 minutes, till a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the middle of a center muffin comes out clean.

img_2466.jpg

They’ll rise nicely. Notice this muffin is topped with both pearl and sparkling sugars; can’t help myself, I’m a confirmed “what if” type of baker.

img_2528.jpg

Tip the muffins in the pan to cool; this prevents their bottoms from steaming and becoming soggy.

img_2469.jpg

Now that’s one good-looking muffin, huh?

img_2456.jpg

Here’s what happens if you don’t give the muffin batter a rest prior to baking. The taller, “rested batter” muffin is on the left; non-rested on the right. The rest both softens the Flav-R-Bites, if you use them; and gives the baking powder and baking soda a chance to get going.

img_2492.jpg

Here’s one with a plain coarse sugar topping. I love the glitter of sparkling sugar.

img_2484.jpg

And here they are, in all their sugar-topped incarnations – even some plain Janes without. Trust me, they’re all good.

And if our taste-testers here at King Arthur are any indication, they’ll disappear fast!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Thanksgiving Muffins.

comments

1. Mrs. Hittle

Thanks for the tip of resting the batter. i’ve been making muffins lately (including a different pumpkin version), and the flatter top of the non-rested one looked more like mine. i was wondering what to do about that.

2. Terri A.

Oh, one of these right now would be so good! I can’t wait to try these. Might have to order the flavrbites (I have the chips already).

3. Jojo

TOO MANY USELESS PICTURES.

PLEASE put away the digital camera and stop posting so many pictures with your recipes! Did we really need two shots of the dry ingredients, with and without the cranberries? How did that help anyone???!!

Less is more; what words don’t adequately communicate can be illustrated with a picture.

Get over the thrill of posting as many pictures as you feel like just because you can and START EDITING YOURSELF!

The words tell us what to do. The pictures should illustrate

Hi Jojo – Anecdotal evidence shows that we have a lot of beginning bakers reading these recipes; and I’ve heard from many that they appreciate the pictures. My goal is to enable EVERY reader to have as successful an experience as possible, thus the “overabundance” of pictures. Yeah, admittedly, I do err on the side of over-illustration at times. But you know what? If you don’t want to see the pictures, simply link to the recipe from the end of the blog, and all you’ll see is a picture of the finished product. You can click on a printable version there, too, which usually confines the recipe to a single page, perhaps 2 pages at the most. That sounds like it would be more to your liking. So, we have options for those who don’t want pictures, and those who do – I think that’s the best of both worlds. Thanks for adding your thoughts here – PJH

4. April in CT

Due to the impending doom of possibly not being able to find canned pumpkin (gasp!) I made my own with a $2 sugar pumpkin yesterday and have heaps of it now. Also, due to a wonderful visit to the KAF store (!!!!!) last weekend I also have cinnamon flav-r bites so I’m definitely making these today! I’d really like to move into the store and never leave.

What a great tip about tilting them to cool!

5. Erie

What if you don’t have the cinnamon bits or chips? Can you just add a teaspoon or tablespoon of ground cinnamon? I would love to make this sometime soon but don’t have the chips or bits, but plenty of ground cinnamon.
    Unfortunately ground cinnamon will not be the same. You could add more cranberries or a different dried fruit-dried apple would work nicely. Joan @ bakershotline

For cinnamon flavor, add 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. For added “bits,” chocolate chips are mighty tasty, too :) PJH

6. Sandy

Yummo…these look heavenly. And this time of year has me yearning for anything pumpkin. I just may make these when it is my turn to bring treats for my church Life Group gathering.

7. ant

Would it work to use non-dried (aka frozen) cranberries in this recipe? I have 2 cups of pumpkin in my fridge and need a good recipe to finish it off.
    You certainly can use fresh or frozen cranberries but they won’t be as sweet as the dried ones. Molly @ KAF

8. Lish

I was just thinking about making pumpkin muffins, and I thought I would check the blog. Awesome timing! I am a sucker for anything with pumpkin and cranberries. And I just got the flavrbites, and was wondering what I would try first. Can’t wait. I think I will make them while the kids are napping.

9. kate

haha this weekend i took a pumpkin loaf recipe my grandmother gave me and turned it into muffins! YUM! next time i will definitely include the ‘rest’ time for the baking powder… and add cranberries :) (i used walnuts but i think walnuts, cranberries, and pumpkin would be AMAZING in a muffin!)

10. Laurin

I love making muffins, and these look great. My problem – one that keeps himself buying and eating the storebought muffins – is that the first day, the muffins are great. After that, well, they start developing a moisture problem – namely, it all gathers on top of the muffin and it becomes slightly, well, slimy, for lack of a better adjective. Any topping – be it sugar, or a crisp topping or anything just melts into this general layer of moisture. The muffins become unappealing within a day or two. What am I doing wrong? I’ve tried storing in tupperware type containers, and out on the counter, it doesn’t seem to matter. Winter or Summer. Whole wheat in the batter or not. Do I need to freeze anything not eaten the first day? Help!!
    Are you baking them long enough? Try increasing the time by 5 minutes and make sure after that baking you tip the muffins in the pan so the moisture is dispersed. Molly @ KAF

11. Barbara Jamieson

The muffins look great! I’m going to try them with apple instead of the cranberries. I’ve got some that need to be used up! Thaks for the inspiration.

12. Margaret

Ouch….no need to get all crabby about the “excess” of photos. I am an experienced baker and I not only enjoy seeing the various stages of a recipe, but
    feel it is helpful. Thanks for providing options for the wide range of experience and interests represented by your readers.

13. Nancy Byrne

These look delicious!
    But that is not why I am posting today. I found “Jojo’s” comment to be quite rude. I am an experienced baker, and yet I still find all the photos and commentary to be both informative and entertaining. If Jojo is looking for a rparticular ecipe, just cut to the chase and skip the photos. Please don’t spoil it for the rest of us!
    I love this blog!!

14. The Novice Berker

I’ve been meaning to look into the Flav-R-Bites for a while now. Perhaps this is the occasion to place my order!

As an aside, I definitely disagree with the commenter above. I LOVE this blog because of how absolutely thorough you guys are. You don’t miss a beat and I find it reassuring to see pictures of every step if I’m tackling a new KAF recipe.

Thanks for all your hard work!

15. kim

Just wanted to throw in my $.02. KEEP IT UP WITH THE PHOTOS. Especially with yeasted items, I find the photos help me figure out if my doughs have the proper texture, or are moist enough, or have risen enough, or…..on and on. Thank you for great recipes!!

16. norman

PLEASE keep up the pictures. It helps me SO MUCH. This is one of the (many) reasons I turn to your blog and count on it to help me out when I wonder if mine looks right or not. I only wish many other recipe blogs paid so much attention to the little details. THANKS for thinking of me, the little baker who gets it right the first time because I have a little picture help!

17. violarulz

Oooh, cinnamon chips! I put ginger chips in my favorite pumpkin. You can buy them, or make your own: chop up candied ginger into tiny -chocolate chip size- chunks, put them in a zippy bag, add a bunch of white sugar, and shake/massage the sugar onto them so that they’re happy and coated in sugar. Let them sit out and get stale for a few days. When baked they’ll kinda melt into your baked goods and turn into happy little gingery nuggets of joy. Yum!

18. Kara

Had to add my thanks for the tips amongst the very helpful, illustrative pictures… ESPecially the tip about resting the batter! I couldn’t be more excited to have that tip in my arsenal now.

And speaking of arsenal, these muffins are going there. I will search high and low for cinnamon chips so I can make these just as the recipe states… why mess with what looks like perfection!

19. mdlrvrmuncher

I couldn’t disagree with Jojo more. I have gone from cooking to baking to spend my limited free time all because of your blog and its description and pictures. I function visually best. My little fingers can easily move past pictures and text. Thanks for the great site and your great answer.

20. Sue

I have the cinnamon bits and the dried cranberries, and maybe even a can pumpkin. I can’t wait to be home long enough to try these. Usually I like my pumpkin recipes without too many add ins, but I think I’ll live dangerously and try this recipe! :-)

21. April in CT

I printed out the recipe, but for some reason it’s only printing steps 1-4. I’ve checked my printer settings and when I do a “print preview” it only shows one page, so maybe it’s something on your end? Just thought I’d let you know.

I’ve got the batter resting and oven pre-heating!
    Thank you for letting us know about the printing problem. I’ll let the web team know. In the meantime, I have emailed you the recipe, which I hope you will be able to print. Molly @ KAF

22. Lydia

I have to say that I like having the extensive pictures and the recipe. They fill very different purposes for me. If I want to print or save for reference, then I use the recipe.

Sometimes the pictures are very useful in giving an idea of what the texture of a batter should be or approximate volume or other details that words don’t convey.

The other reason that I like the pictures is pure eye candy. It’s almost baking through proxy; when I have a long day away from home, and I’m just quickly checking blogs between jobs, there’s something wonderful about seeing the baking in such detail. I may not have a chance to do baking myself on a busy day, but I can revel in reading about it and enjoy the pictures.

23. RobynNZ

Thank you for the ‘rest’ tip and illustrative photos. I am always anxious to get muffins in the oven promptly once I have the dry & wet ingredients mixed, not wanting to lose the work of the raising agents. Not that I’ve ever thought of doing a side by side to test my theory! Mind you, I turn to muffins as the fastest thing I like to bake when I need something quickly – they’ve always tasted great til now, so a little less muffin on those occasions will do! I’m going out for afternoon tea and was planning on taking muffins so I get to trial this today.

That’s one of the attributes of muffins, Robyn – SPEED. I don’t usually let them rest before baking; but I’d always wondered how those 2-week bran muffins, the batter for which you leave in the fridge forever, managed to work. I STILL don’t know, chemically speaking; but I’ve decided you don’t have to be a speed demon where muffins are concerned. Either way is fine. Thanks for connecting here – PJH

24. jsp

I love all the photos — makes me feel like I’m baking right along with you! For instance, I just made pumpkin muffins yesterday (using a Food Network recipe) but I still clicked through to see your version, because I love the step-by-step approach. Keep it up with the photos (and occasional video)…

25. Cait

I’m a beginning-ish baker and really appreciate the pictures. Thanks for taking the time and forethought to put them in.

These pumpkin muffins look delish, do you think raisins would work? Totally different flavor I know but I have them on hand usually, since my 2 year old loves ‘em. Oh and great tip on letting the batter rest! Sweet!

Raisins would be totally fine, Cait – bet your 2-year-old will gobble these up! Enjoy – PJH

26. Christina

keep up the pictures, please!

I’m not as much of a beginner anymore but we still love them. My 3yo is very visual and likes seeing the pictures as well. (As an aside the holiday cookie decoration video was a favorite of hers this weekend) Your step by step pics also help me know we’re on the right track when it is something new to me.

Now I am completely regretting not ordering flav-r-bites with my order arriving tomorrow! Darn it! Next time though for sure. I had wondered how they were different from the standard cinnamon chips and the visual helps. From what you indicated of the ingredients… they are w/o milk?

Off to the store to buy a can (or two…or three) of pumpkin. We’re making muffins tomorrow!

Yes, Christina, no milk – ingredients are all-natural wheat, corn, sugar, cinnamon, and soybean oil. They’re much more assertively flavored than the other cinnamon chips, which are smoother, milder, and more like a chocolate chip consistency. Have fun tomorrow- PJH

27. Janet

I love the pix with the blog. I copy blogs that interest me to a Word document, then reduce the pictures to a smaller size. The comments that I find useful I keep, the others I delete. I usually end up with three or four pages and email it to my daughters. I only print when I’m ready to cook. I’ll be making this over the weekend. Thanks for your quality site & products.

28. Tracey

These muffins look really fantastic! I’m definitely going to give them a try in the next few weeks. I’m intrigued by the resting time for the batter. I’d always been under the impression that when you made muffins the goal was to get the batter in the oven as quickly as possible once you combined the wet and dry ingredients. Learn something new every day!

I echo all of the sentiments about the photos – I really like them and they’re helpful for some of the more complex recipes. It’s super helpful to be able to see what something should look like at a particular point in the recipe.

Tracey, I’m with you – I thought speed was of the essence, esp. when using baking soda. So I was prepared to trade off a bit of rise for softening the Flav-R-Bites. Was I surprised when just the opposite happened – MORE rise! You learn something new every time you step into the kitchen, huh? What fun… PJH

29. Maria

I agree with most of the comments above – your pictures are not only helpful for baking but sheer entertainment – I like reading the blog as much as a good book! THANKS for this wonderful free service for bakers everywhere! (And the muffins look great – can’t wait to try!)

Maria, these are indeed good muffins; for a different twist, try spreading them with ginger marmalade – oh, my… And thanks for your supportive words. PJH

30. cheryl

I love all the pictures and would like to thank you for this blog. I check it everyday to see what is cooking at KAF.

Thanks, Cheryl – always something cooking. Right now I’ve got Westphalian rye bread “simmering” away – we’ll see how it turns out later today… PJH

31. Amy

I just found the blog today and I think it’s great the way it is with lots of pictures. I’ve been baking since I was a kid, but I’m by no means an expert. I find myself learning new tips all the time in areas where I thought I knew what I was doing. I’ve been wondering why my muffins have been flat lately and not very pretty. I’ll have to try out the resting step next time to see if that gives them the perfect muffin top. It certainly worked for you.

Welcome, Amy – hope you visit often! We have a lot of fun here… PJH

32. Soupaddict Karen

Love the photos, and I appreciate the work it takes to capture the perfect composition and then process and post it. I’m an experienced baker, but I am certainly not beyond learning something new (and yes, as an avid KAF fan, I also like seeing KAF products. I still remember when I first saw the Beater Blades for the KitchenAid standmixer in one of your baking photos. I must’ve stared at the picture of the inside of the mixing bowl for a solid minute thinking, “What *is* that? Are those squeegees on that blade?” So, I learned about my favorite KitchenAid accessory EVER from this blog and its pictures). I can’t wait to try the Kibble for Spice-Lovin’ Humans – there’s nothing like the scent (and taste!) of warm cinnamon at the holidays….

33. Kimberly D

My vote is for the picture, I like them for when I am baking something totally new to me. Ok, do you carry the big muffin papers for all I can fine locally is the standard size muffin papers. I think the suggestion to putting chocolate chips in is a great idea, I put them in my banana bread.

Here you go, Kimberly – Texas muffin papers. I don’t usually like the fruit/chocolate combo, but definitely like cc chips in banana bread and pumpkin bread… PJH

34. AmandaLP

These look awesome!

I have a question about the White Whole Wheat flour. The Bakers Companion says that with regular whole wheat flour, even though it is really high protein, only part of the gluten is available for baking. Is this the same as the white whole wheat? I have hesitated switching all my baking to it since I was worried about the high protein.

I also tried the box spice cake mix and canned pumpkin recipe today, and was about to start looking for a non box replacement, and this looks like a great one! :)

Amanda, the gluten in whole wheat is there, but rendered fairly useless, as far as rising goes, because the bran in the flour is sharp and cuts it up. Think of a balloon having holes punched in it; not too good for rising anymore, is it? So the high protein in whole wheat flour doesn’t translate into strength (for yeast breads) or toughness (for pastries) as it would in white flour. Hope this helps. Have fun with the muffin recipe! PJH

35. Alvara

I have been baking for more that 55 years and I log on to read this blog every day. I love learning new things and being reminded of things I may have pushed back into the memory bank. I know to tip the muffins in the pan after baking but never heard about resting muffin batter. I like corn muffins to have a big bump on top so I will rest that batter. I also love the pictures. They entice me to bake the recipes.
    PJ you are too kind to some of the rude people who write in. They should get over themselves.
    Three cheers for the pictures!!!

Thanks for sharing, Alvara – you must be one of our true baking veterans. I’ve only been baking for 35 years – hope I’ll get to where you are someday! PJH

36. Kathleen

Great Tip about resting the muffin batter for 30 minutes. I have never thought about doing that. I just made tree different kinds of muffins and each went right into the oven right after the batter was mixed. On another note, I don’t like pumpkin, never have but the instructions can be used for any kind of muffins, so I find that a big help.

37. Shirley

I hope you continue to use your judgement about the blog. I check it every day and enjoy all the pictures. I’m not an experienced baker but it gives me hope. I’m grateful that it continues to be free as I would pay to gain all the info I have thus far. I guess we all know how to go straight to recipe or comments without viewing the pictures. I hope baking and enjoying the products make us happier and more content people.

38. Susan

I’m an experienced baker and, no, I don’t NEED the pictures, but I love seeing them anyway, so keep doing what you’ve been doing. It works for 99.9% of us!

39. Carla

I agree with everyone above with the exception of Jojo…I love the pictures…all of them! I love that I can hop on here and live vicariously through your blog on the days I cannot bake…which are many right now. I thoroughly enjoy the personal side of the posts as well…I love the vacation pictures and stories. I love hearing that Susan (If I remember correctly) always has to search for local community/church cookbooks when she is on vacation…I do the same thing…they contain the best recipes.

PLEASE…this is a BLOG…it is intended to share whatever the author chooses to share and I have enjoyed every moment of it! Please don’t change a thing…well, you could change ONE thing…you could post more often!!!! heheheheh!!!

40. Cindy

Thanks for the idea of using ginger bits – after reading the ingredients on the back of the cinnamon chips package I couldn’t bring myself to put them into these muffins… – or put them into anything I want folks to eat, actually. So, until I order some Flav-R-Bites, I’ll play with the ginger and be happy!

And – speaking of being happy – your photos are the best for those days when I NEED to bake, but don’t have a second to myself. They are so detailed that I can feel /smell / and taste the process. And, as an extra added bonus – all that but no calories!

41. Amy

Those look really good! I need cinnamon chips.

Keep up the good work and keep including all your pictures–that’s what makes it a blog and not just a recipe.

Also, I love your New England weather reports–as a transplanted Bostonian living in Texas, I miss fall!!
    HI Amy,
    Here’s the morning report. Chilly, but no frost. Beautiful sunrise, purple over the mountains. Cloudy now, but no rain. The leaves are falling fast, almost time to jump in the leaf pile. ~ MaryJane

42. Lish

I have learned so much by reading this blog and seeing all the pictures. I love them. It has helped me become a more confident cook and baker. I am making these muffins, and can’t wait to try them with the ginger marmalade and citrus ginger marmalade I made this year. Keep up the great work, most of us really appreciate it!
    Citrus Ginger marmalade? That sounds fantastic. Just as good as a pumpkin whoopie!~MaryJane

43. stacy

Thanks for all of the great tips and pictures. I learn so much from your posts! I often have to adjust recipes due to allergies and could use all of the help I can get. I honestly have always thought my muffins were flat because of the I can’t use egg. I can’t wait to try resting the batter! Please keep the tips and pictures coming.

44. Stephanie

I love baking, and am excited for another pumpkin recipe, but I am really a novice, and have a question regarding the paper cupcake holders:
    1. Do we have to spray paper cups?
    2. When I do so, it makes mine very weak, am I doing it right? And when I don’t, the paper sticks to the cake.
    3. Should I invest in another reusable cupcake mold of some sort?
    Hi Stephanie,
    We like to spray the cups to avoid the sticking. If you find the cups aren’t strong enough, try using double papers. You can invest in silicone muffin cups when you are ready. They are a breeze to use. We still spritz them with spray, you can never have too much insurance. ~ MaryJane

45. LB

One last note on the plethora of pictures -

Where I work we have many people who insist baking is too hard, long, or time consuming. When they’re having a bad (or hungry!) day we often look over the latest post. Seeing these step by step make them realize they can go home and bake something! It gives them more of an idea of what to see, and builds their confidence. :) For those of us here who bake all the time we happily drool over the “food porn.”

Still – I think it’s great that this is an open enough forum for Jojo to post their comment, and am really pleased with your response. I’m so glad you let even the negative comments get posted, seriously! ;)

46. Jackie

And all this time I’ve been reading that you *must* put batter in the oven immediately otherwise the end result will fall. I was always suspicious of that wisdom so I’m glad to see your proof. I love a high rise on my muffins, and I often use a popover pan to get them really tall and puffy.
    Great tip Jackie, thanks!

47. Candace

We all have busy lives, and as for mine, I have found baking to be a relaxing part of it, if I let it be. Otherwise baking, like everything else, is just another chore to be gotten through. Sitting with my tea while enjoying your blog is one of the highlights of my day. Keep the photos! Even the stuff I have no need to make, I can dream about baking!

48. Cheryl

This is the best blog and I am extremely grateful to be able to check in on a daily basis. I love the visuals because it allows me to have a general idea as to what the finished product should look like.
    Your photos are the greatest!

49. AJ

Even I, who been cooking since I was 8, learn from your pictures. Plus, when trying to explain to the ‘kids’ how something should look or just how to do a step, I refer them to the photos, encourage them to go through all the photos so they have a better understanding of what they’re supposed to be doing.
    On the pumpkin issue, we’ve used many different things when we didn’t have pumpkin on hand: for instance-mashed, cooked carrots and of course, sweet potatoes. We added a bit of ginger to the spices for the carrot version.

50. Margy

I’m a reasonally experienced baker, and I love the pictures–as the saying goes “a picture is worth a thousand words”. I like having a picture with which to compare my results. Plus, my co-workers often crowd around saying “Make this, and this, and this!”

51. KandisInMi

I’m with the VAST majority of commentors–Keep the photos! I’ve been baking for 41 years, since I was 7, and I may not NEED them, but I love to see them! This is the best blog…so much inspiration. I also like to read the comments, because many give really great ideas.
    Laurin-my sister bakes Sunshine Muffins to keep on hand for a quick breakfast, and she always puts them into zipper plastic bags and freezes them as soon as they’re completely cool. They take only about a minute to thaw out, and they stay fresh-baked yummy, no goo on top!
    Violarulz-thanks so much for the ginger bits idea! I’m going to roll mine in cinamon sugar! I’ve been craving pumpkin muffins, now I’m going to go bake some!

52. Lorena

These look amazing, can’t wait to try them! A suggestion for using the remaining pumpkin, if you have a dog or cat, try feeding them some. My cats won’t stay out of the kitchen when I’m using pumpkin.

MaryJane, I appreciated your comment above to Stephanie about using silicone muffin cups, but did I read correctly that you still spray them with cooking spray? And if so, how the boy-howdy do you get them clean? I’ve got silicone stuff that a year and many washes later still has cooking spray on it. Or is it something to just grin-and-bear-it?

Lorena – As Mary Jane said, the light spray on silicone just provides a little more assurance for releasing the muffin. You could spray some and not others and do a “test” bake. Also, some batters may be more prone to sticking and others not. In the test kitchen, we use a canola spray called Everbake Pan Spray (item # 1449). It is wonderful stuff! Elisabeth @ KAF

53. bookboxer

My extended family included a whole group of bakery owners – my maternal great-grandfather and each of his 4 sons each owned their own corner bakery from the early 1900s through the 1960s. That was a tasty time according to my mother, but it resulted in the fact that NONE of the women in my family learned how to bake! Until I started reading this blog, I had more brick-like bread and crunchy chocolate chip cookies than I care to count. So, more pictures is always better for an old newbie like me! And I’m proof that you CAN teach an old (baker) new tricks…

54. Betty George

I’ve been baking since I was 10 years old and that was 68 years ago. I just want you to know that your blog along with all those exceptional pictures you add to it just make me want to try every recipe you show them with. Of course that isn’t practical since my ten children that ate everything in sight that I baked are all grown up now and scattered all over the country with children and grandchildren of their own. I do test some of them on the families in my church that are like my own to me and they are always received with thanksgiving.
    Don’t change anything about your blog! It’s always fun and exciting to read and I’ve also learned so many great tips from your pictures and your writing. I look forward to it every week.
    Never too old to learn!

Betty, your comment here is so heartwarming… I hope you get to see those 10 kids and your grandchildren often. And I’ll bet they love seeing you, because I’m sure you’ve always got the warm cookies waiting! Thanks for connecting here – PJH

55. Sarah

I never post comments…but wow, I was kind of taken aback. Yeah, sometimes there are a LOT of pictures. But you don’t have to be rude about it. These muffins look amazing. I hate cranberries, but they might be delicious with the cinnamon kibble and some toasted pecans. Or mini chocolate chips. Yum. :)

Or raisins? Dates? Any kid of dried fruit would be a good match here, Sarah. And OF COURSE chocolate is like your little black dress – goes with anything! :) PJH

56. Beth

How could anyone complain about the pictures?! They are incredibly helpful. The #1 complaint I have read in cookbook reviews is the lack of photos.

57. April in CT

First of all, I made these and they are great! I think I’ll cut back a bit on the cinnamon flavr-bites, but that’s just personal taste. I sent them to work with my husband and they were well received! I think the addition of walnuts next time is a must.

Secondly, in the 15 years I’ve known my husband he’s NEVER cooked. I can’t get this across enough, but when I say NEVER I really mean it! He recently started making breakfast and I’m still shocked. He’s done crepes with both savory & sweet fillings, french toast and waffles. He recently made a no knead cranberry walnut bread using the detailed steps on this blog. Without those helpful pictures a novice may not have had such good results, but the bread turned out fantastic!

I can’t fathom someone complaining over an excess of pictures on a FOOD blog. It’s extremely time consuming to pause and photograph each step when you’re in the kitchen and I think I speak for many of us when I say thank you to the spectacular bloggers at KAF for taking the time to do so. Don’t change a thing!

58. Marcia

I love the photos and often forward your BLOG to beginning or want to learn bakers. Many have never heard of KA. But, they always say using the flour was great.

Glad to see another full page KA ad in the new Eating Well magazine.

I’ve been baking more than 50 years, and like someone else posted, the photos are eye candy. Don’t bake much as there is no one else to eat it. Type 2 diabetic; not much carbs. This BLOG fulfills my need to bake and eat carbs. But I did make pumpkin muffins last week and shared them with the Apple Computer Store folks–loved them.

59. Robin D

Minus the cranberries theses muffins look good and I never really thought about adding sparkling sugar…good suggestion.

Contrary to JoJo…I really like the pictures. In fact, I need the pictures and have come to really rely on them….Especially as a first time baker with yeast. Keep them coming and I’ll keep baking!

60. Sharryn

I recently discovered the KAF web site, and love everything about it, especially the way each recipe is so well documented with pictures and descriptions. The tips you gave on this recipe made me curious. Does the 30 minute rest period work just for muffins, or would it be applicable to all quick breads? And, does tilting the muffins work better than removing them to a wire rack?

I’m a snowbird now in Arizona, and I can’t wait for it to cool down a little so I can start baking here. One of the first loaves I’m going to try is the Marbled Rye you gave the link for! King Arthur flours are available right down the street!

Sharryn – Yes, the 30 minute resting period can give muffins/quickbreads a headstart in leavening. Once they hit the preheated oven to get that blast of heat, the leavening goes wild for a second time. Tilting the muffins will prevent them from steaming their bottoms while they begin to cool. Ever get shriveled bottoms? That is from steaming in the pan. Moving them to a rack after a tilting period is recommended. Elisabeth @ KAF

61. linda

a picture is worth a thousand words….please keep them coming…they are invaluable…thank you for all your photographic efforts on our behalf.

this is a very interesting recipe & since i have never used the cinnamon flav-r-bites i am going to give this a try…

oh…

i would have had a question on the baking of these bites…but since you photographed the muffin cut open i can see that the flav-r-bites appear to be delicate… so the taste must be the same way!!

thank you sister survivor…look forward to your next post with your fab photos!!

62. Judi

Oh, those pictures!! Sometimes there are recipes I could skip, crumpets for example, until I look at the pictures, then I’m a gonner!! I’m quietly saving my cans to make crumpet rings and just dying to make the recipe NOW. The pictures and your vivid description of eating them cinched the deal.

And now pumpkin muffins with cranberries … such a great idea.

Please keep all of the pictures, they really do help!

63. Cathy

Although I have been baking many years, I find that I can still learn something new that might help make my finished product even better. Often it is technique that makes the difference. In that regard, I have always found hands-on, or the “visual” to be the best teacher. Keeping “snapping” away, please.

Please tell me – is there any difference between tilting a muffin right in the tin or to placing them as quickly as possible (5 minutes usually) on a cooling rack?

I never have a problem with muffins/cupcakes rising properly. The baking powder I use is “Rumsford” and it is always so vigorous (found in my health food store and Trader Joes). I will however try the resting procedure out of curiosity.

I did not have a Mom or Grandma to turn to for wonderful recipes. If it were not for the great food photographers out there, I would not have spent the last twenty or so years recreating their work. When a neighbor tells me that my latest food gift looks just like the photo I showed her – I feel like an artist. The visual/taste connection cannot be denied.

The proof is in the pictures on the blog. You can see the rested muffin is taller than the one put right into the pan and right into the oven. Tilting helps reduce condensation and keeping the hot muffins in the pan to do this helps them keep their shape. Irene @ KAF

Cathy, putting the muffins right on a rack is fine – tilting them simply lets me handle them sooner and prevent the steaming more quickly. I’m too lazy to pick each one up with a hot pad and place on a rack; instead, you’ll find me doing the little “oo-oo-oo” dance as I nearly burn my fingers tilting them in the pan! PJH

64. linda

a picture is worth a thousand words! i thank you for all your wonderful photographic efforts…they are invaluable. this recipe looks great & i will purchase the flav-r-bites! &…
    OH!!!…
    since i have never baked with flav-r-bites i would have had a question about the intensity of the cinnamon & texture after muffin was baked had i not seen your photograph of the muffin cross section…
    &…
    please keep up your fantastic & creative baking & photography!
    your sister survivor!

Thanks, Linda – I’m betting you’ll really like these. Good health, and be well, sister – PJH

65. Faricha Lewing

I love all your pictures! It is great to be able to compare each step with what I have already been doing. Sometimes I learn that my way may not have matched what I should have been doing! Or comfirms that I am proceeding correctly! So never a waste. Keep the pictures coming! Video is also wonderful!!

66. Janice M. Biscoe

HI, Really liked the article, recipe and pictures. One question and I am not sure if it has been asked, answered or tossed before……..instead of using canned pumpkin, I make my own puree and when it is time to bake, get it out of the freezer, measure, add goodies and it’s good to go. Is there a terribly big difference between canned pumpkin and the pumpkin you do from scratch? Gotta say that my pumpkin butter is the best! I KNOW what’s in it.
    Janice

Home style pumpkin, can vary in moisture content. The variance could cause issues with the filling, too watery for example. You will have to experiment. Frank @ KAF.

1. lizg789

Janice, I almost-always use the processor (or you could use a foodmill) to puree leftover squash or pumpkin and then put it (gently) into a medium-to-fine mesh strainer for an hour or so. That way it’s always the same texture and moisture… similar to canned, but much tastier. The strained liquid goes into the next pot of home-made soup. Sometimes there’s a lot; sometimes not.

You can freeze extra purée in recipe-ready amounts, and also freeze the pumpkin liquid in one-cup increments if soup isn’t on the menu in the near future. And, if one of my frozen containers isn’t full, I top it up before starting a new one.

67. sheilad58

About that resting period: would it make a difference to rest the batter already in the muffin tin vs. in the bowl (before being scooped into the tin) as you have done? Thanks.

Nope, no difference, it’ll rest just fine in the muffin cups, Sheila. – PJH

68. Janice M. Biscoe

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply regarding the water content in the puree. I should have mentioned that I put the puree in cheesecloth in a sieve over a bowl in the refrigerator overnight to make sure that there isn’t a lot of water. So far, so good. I am going to make your pumpkin pie and audition it with family. They have loved every recipe I have done from your business. Just wish you were closer so I could come to the store.
    Janice

69. Sue E. Conrad

Hi, P.J.!

Sure could use a bit of that cool weather down here in FL……although we did have about two days with temps in the 70s and low humidity – YEAH!!
    Back to the same ole-same ole now, though!

Thanks for the tips about the resting phase prior to baking the muffins AND the tilting after baking!! Next time I make muffins – perhaps this weekend? – I’ll put those tips into practice.

Still waiting for one or more of my daughters to send me my supply of Grandmother’s mincemeat; however, I’m told it won’t be available in stores until the beginning of November. Ah, the memories of Grandmother’s wafting through the air in Natick, MA where it was made for over 100 years….now it’s made in NJ, but at least it’s still being made!!!

Happy baking to all at KAF!!!

And happy baking to you, Sue – may your mincemeat pie be everything you imagine and remember form years gone by… PJH

70. Linda D.

The comment about the photo of the dried cranberries in the flour mixture made me think of something I read. I seem to remember that getting flour all over the dried cranberries or raisins before adding them to the wet ingredients is supposed to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the baked good. So either this is an old wives tale or that photo illustrates an important baking tip. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks. I’ll be making muffins this weekend.

Indeed, Linda; the flour sticks to them and buoys them up a bit in the batter. Not an old wives’ tale at all! PJH

71. Quinn

I love the blog and appreciate the time and effort of stopping to take photos to illustrate the process! Thank you!

One question: where were you on the Cape? The only place I’ve seen the sun both rise and set while I was looking out to sea is the Keys…I’d love to have that double pleasure a bit closer to home (central MA)!

Thanks :)

You’re right, Quinn – it’s unusual. We were in Truro – Provincetown, Truro, and Wellfleet all see the sun rise and set – because Boston is far enough to the West that you can’t see it, only water… PJH

72. Dolores

It’s 7:00am, I’ve just woken up and started the day with a cup of coffee and a look at this wonderful blog- and since it is also Saturday I am totally happy even though the day is starting rainy and dreary. It’s baking day!
    :-)

73. Quinn

Thanks – that’s really good to know! There may be an off-season getaway in my future…

Off-season being the key term. DO NOT go to the Cape May-September. But you must already know that, being a Bay Stater… October-April rates are much lower, and it’s deserted; just the ocean, sand, and a lot of closed-up T-shirt shops on Route 6. Gorgeous. PJH

74. Debj

Made these, and really like them. However, how do I get muffins that are more ‘cracked and crispy’ on top? These were more moist. Is it because of the oil? (and, I don’t have a convection oven, but I know that would help.) These seemed to be a bit more like a cupcake… I’m looking for ‘muffin tops’? Any thoughts?

It is the combination of pumpkin and oil that contributes to the very tender nature of this muffin. For the texture you are looking for, try adding a few tablespoons of additional flour. Starting with a firmer batter will give a bit more dome and crackle to the top. Frank @ KAF.

75. Diana

The muffins looked great in the pan, but then I totally butchered them trying to ‘tip’ them out. Any suggestions on how to tip them w/o burning your hands or mushing the pretty muffins? Could’ve used that in one of the photos (definitely love photos and I’m a regular baker!).

Diana, I use my thumb and index finger to pinch the tiniest edge of muffin paper and quickly tilt them. And yes, it hurts; my fingers are pretty tough, but I like to do this while they’re HOT. I guess I should have demonstrated the method via photo, huh? Though I would have had to fake it while they’re cool – it requires a lot of juggling to do something with one hand while you’re taking a picture with the other (no, I don’t have an assistant!) :) PJH

76. Joni M

Humm, my mother always used to say “if you can’t say anything nice then don’t say anything at all…” I’m with practically everyone else who has commented here on the prickly comment–please keep on keeping on with all the pictures–they serve as a wonderful tool to all of us whether experienced baker or not. You all do a GREAT service for us which takes lots and lots of time AND talent and I appreciate KA and this blog so much! Absolutely LOVE you all–so don’t change a thing!

btw–I was on vacation in Florida on the panhandle when you were at the beach–I think it might have been colder there than where you were–with that wind coming straight from the north…yikes–have you ever heard the ocean silent? We did–was the strangest thing ever while the wind sounded like we were in the middle of a howling blizzard, and I’ve been to the ocean a few times to know that at least for us, it was a very unusual experience seeing absolutely no waves coming in at all on the beach…but going off season is absolutely the best even if the weather doesn’t cooperate!

77. toula

I like to thank you in advance for the great work you do for all of us!!!
    I was in your show at HILTON/NY happy to see u all ladies!!!
    I didn’t win anything but I’ll visit you in Vermont hopefully soon with my friends to buy all the goodies in person!!!

I like to know instead of muffin/pan to use 9×5 bread pan to bake it as
    i do my granberry nut bread?Yes a 9×5 pan will work nicely. Joan @bakershotline

78. Geri

This is my first visit to your great site, I’ve joined and would like to voice my opinion about using “flavorings”. Those cinnamon chips sound fantastic and I want to try them also. In my baking experience I’ve found something that has helped me bring out the flavor I’m aiming for by tripling the flavor in different forms. For example if I’m going to make anise biscotti I use anise oil, anise seeds ground and anise liqueur. It all depends on your tastes so if you love a flavor try using it in strength and you will really be satisfied.

Welcome, Geri! And thanks for that good advice. That’s why I really like the strong flavors we sell – when there’s not three forms of a flavor (for example, vanilla butternut), you can simply use 1/2 teaspoon or so of the strong flavor and get a really good hit. Do you like anise pizzelle, by the way? Seems like most people don’t but I do… PJH

79. Geri

PJH and all, Yes yes YES, Pizzelle are wonderful especially with anise. Coming from an Italian culture “anise” must be part of our gene make up! LOL. They can be rolled and filled or eaten as is off the pizzelle maker or irons. They are so beautiful the designs and make great gifts for any occasion. I’m so excited being part of the reading and baking group here. There is so much satisfaction in taking time to feed your family and friends good quality foods especially with great products like KAF etc. Thanks so much for the welcome. Happy to join at this time of year when all the ovens are hot.

Love that, Geri, “when all the ovens are hot.” So true, esp. compared to August. My husband’s family is Italian; read their reaction to my pizzelle in an earlier pizzelle blog. And for anyone interested, we’ve just started selling a new pizzelle iron that makes pizzelle in less than 30 seconds – it’s awesome! Pizzelle are always my take-along treat; they look so fancy, but they’re so easy. But I’m not allowed to bring anise, Geri – they get the thumbs down (though I love them myself). Just vanilla, or almond, or lemon. I do sneak some flavors in, like vanilla butternut and Fiori di Sicilia… Welcome again – looking forward to hearing from you. PJH

80. Donna

These muffins sound and look great, but I am a bit confused. Is the apple and pumpkin pie spice used together or is it any either/or situation? Aren’t they just about the same ingrediants? Sorry if this sounds “dense”. ;)

Love the blog, pictures, crazy stories and all. That’s what gives a blog its personality!! This one is loaded with it. Your hard work, valuable time and information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks ya’ll

Sorry to be confusing, Donna – it would be apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice, not both. And yes, very similar – both heavy on the cinnamon. Thanks for your kind comments! PJH

81. Kim

These would have been MUCH better had I remembered to put in the brown sugar in the batter. They looked beautiful and then I ate the crumbs from the testing toothpick and knew instantly something was wrong. Thankfully I sprinkled the tops with sparkling sugar so if I eat them upside down, they’re edible. (My tongue hits the sugar and then I don’t notice it’s missing from the muffin.) I didn’t have the cinnamon chips either, so those might have helped disguise the missing sugar, too. I also now see why you said to spray the papers. I did, but they still stuck so I guess I should’ve been more generous with the spray. Next time they’ll be better, I promise.

82. Kim

One question – Is there a way to store muffins so they keep that crusty top and not get soggy from the sugar on top? I love them when they come out of the oven, but then I put them in a container well after they’re cool and they lose the crusty-top that I think is the best part! Any ideas?

Kim, unfortunately I think that’s basically impossible – thee’s no fighting basic chemistry! Your best bet is to reheat muffins, tented with foil, in a 350°F oven for 5 to 8 minutes or so, just before serving. PJH

83. Rebecca

I was inspired by this receipe! Since not everybody likes cranberries, I divided the batter into three parts — one with cranberries/cinnamon chips, one with cinnamon chips, and one with (leftover) chocolate chips. And used several different sugar toppings — including cinnamon and suger. ALL were so delicious. GREAT recipe. The muffins have a very fresh pumpkin taste and are extremely moist! LOVE this blog!

84. Janice

I love this blog! Thanks so much for having it available for us. I love your entire web site, for that matter. I think I’m becoming addicted to it! : ) Please keep the pictures coming. I’ve baked for years, but I still love the pictures. I never used King Arthur Flour until a couple of years ago. Now I don’t use anything else. It is the absolute best! I just got my dough whisk today and have used it already. I love it!

Janice, thanks so much for your kind words. We’ll definitely keep the pictures coming – and everything else! PJH

85. cristine

I am so relieved that I have too much to do or I would be baking everything I see on your blog! LOL! I end up as big as a house! For now, I’ll just drool. I just love pumpkin, in fact, I can never make Jack O’Lanterns because they seem to be too much waste of good yummy. These muffins I are on my weekend to do list!

Please do not remove the pictures, just put in a link on top to the recipe or a link to virtual prozac :-) I love looking at the pics, often I hurry through a recipe, relying on my ‘years’ of experience only to mess it up because I missed a new trick -the pictures are very helpful for keeping me on track :-) Keep up the good yummy work!

Thanks, Cristine – enjoy your weekend baking! PJH

86. KG

Been baking for 40 years learned from my MIL(she taught me to only use King Arthur flour) and Grandmother -now that they are no longer around your pictures and blog answer my questions and teach me new ways or correct what I’m doing wrong. My 2 DILS are new to baking, I offer advice over the phone but you show them with the pictures what I can’t, keep up the good work with LOTS of pictures.

87. Margaret Woodside

Dear PJ: I have made these several times, changing a little as I get more familiar with the recipe. I don’t like pumpkin pie spice much so I use less than the recipe calls for and I put pumpkin seeds (pepitas) on top instead of sugar. However I bake them they are a great hit. Thanks for this really splendid idea. Making 2 recipes of baby ones for a coffee tomorrow. Nice little bites of fall!

88. Sonia

Love the pictures, always — love the whole baking blog and the ensuing “conversations”. I’m looking forward to trying these in a couple of weeks when we have the family over for Thanksgiving.

Question is, what’s the best approach to making them ahead? Complete the baking and just reheat next day? Freeze muffins? Refrigerate mix and cook next day? (I’m guessing that might spoil the rise effect…)

When I tried the muffin-tilting idea, I used my cooking tongs (love that tool!) to gently grab an edge of the cup, and tilt them that way. If you are gentle enough, paper won’t tear. No guarantees, but it does save your fingers!

89. Lorraine

I made these delicous muffins not too long ago but doubled up the batter into six extra large muffin tins, baked them about 5-7 minutes longer and they were just scrumptious. Since I live alone, I take half of a muffin to work for my a.m. snack and the other half for after dinner.

Great recipe. by the way, I used the rest of the pumpkin puree (1 cup’s worth) to make a pumpkin tiramisu laced with Frangelico. Ummm.

90. Carol

One important criteria for me to purchase a cookbook is PICTURES! Having the pictures on this blog is almost as good as attending a class. I think it’s an overwhelming majority that love and appreciate the visual learning aid in your pictures here on the blog.

91. Kym

I just checked my email and saw the repost of this recipe. Grandkids coming over tonight so I just made them and know they will be a hit! Love the fact that there is only 1/2 C. of brown sugar in the entire dozen, half whole wheat flour and the added fiber and vitamins of the pumpkin and cranberries. But what they don’t know…..

92. Louse

Hi — quick question. Would it adversely effect the muffins if the batter was made in the evening and them parked in the refrigerator overnight and baked the next morning?

The short rest is just what these muffins need. An overnight rest of the batter would expend all of the leaveners, leaving you with “dead” batter the next morning. Frank @ KAF.

Might work, though, Louise – it does with a bran muffin recipe I use. Reserve out a bit of the batter to bake a few muffins the next morning, see how it works. Then the next time, you’ll know. PJH