Zo = dough: Chocolate-Cherry Brioche

img_3661

Brioche.

If you have any experience at all with brioche, merely seeing the word probably sends a shiver down your spine.

A shiver of anticipation for the ultra-tender, super-buttery bread that emerges from your oven.

And a matching shiver of angst at the difficult dough that precedes that loaf.

There’s a reason brioche, France’s signature breakfast bread, is so tender. Two reasons, actually: butter, and eggs. Lots and lots of both.

Which means lots and LOTS of hassle with sticky dough – if you’re kneading by hand.

Here’s my advice: unless you’re one of those strong-willed folks who would have considered the Lewis and Clark Expedition a day in the (national) park, DO NOT try to make this dough by hand.

Use your mixer. Or better still, your bread machine, set on the dough cycle.

I try to be all-inclusive; I know there are many of you whose favorite tool is your hands. And I concur – a seasoned bread-baker can handle most yeast doughs without resorting to machinery.

But brioche dough? It’s sticky. It’s gloppy. Imagine trying to knead a pound of butter…

Which is just about what you’re trying to do here, given brioche’s butter-intensity.

Me, I resort to my trusted old friend, the Zojirushi bread machine. Hold on, purists – I’m NOT going to bake brioche in the machine. Possible, yes; desirable, not really.

But kneading brioche dough in the Zo?

Alors, c’est un piece de gateau! (Corrections welcome here – high school French was LONG ago.)

Plus, kneading dough in my Zo yields superior results. Take a look:

img_3554.JPG

On the left, Zo dough after its first rise. On the right, dough prepared in a stand mixer.

img_3555.JPG

After its overnight rise, the Zo dough is still winning the race (to the top of the cup). The bread machine simply does a superior kneading job – which is why we turn to our seven test kitchen Zo’s so regularly.

Sales pitch? You bet. The holidays are looming. Gifts are being baked and bought. If my mom didn’t already have a Zo, it would be at the top of my list for her.

I gave Mom a Zo several years ago, and she regularly makes her own sandwich bread, pizza, focaccia, cinnamon buns… all using the dough cycle on her Zo. Heck, she even makes soup and risotto and casseroles in it.

So if you know someone who LOVES LOVES LOVES bread; and is challenged by kneading (time, age, technique, whatever the reason) – please consider the Zo.

It’s truly a gift that keeps on giving. For long-time bread-bakers short on time and energy, or newbies just learning yeast’s secrets, Zo is truly the path of least resistance – and greatest success.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Let’s bake an over-the-top loaf of Chocolate-Cherry Brioche.

img_3613.JPG

What flavor marries well with cherry? Vanilla, sure. But don’t forget almond, a touch of which in any cherry dish points up its “cherri-ness.”

img_3564.JPG

Speaking of cherries, dried ones can be expensive. So if you’re going to purchase them, buy the best: our Michigan cherries are fat and moist.

img_3565.JPG

And BIG. Here they are next to golden raisins.

img_3597.JPG

Another choice to consider: the sugar atop the loaf. Pictured above are granulated sugar (at the top of the photo), coarse white sparkling sugar (left), and pearl sugar (right). Granulated sugar will basically disappear, leaving a slight glaze. Coarse and pearl sugars will remain intact, providing crunch and glitter (coarse sugar), or a snowy effect (pearl sugar).

Try mixing coarse and pearl sugars for the best of both worlds.

img_3545.JPG

Let’s get down to business. Put the following into your bread machine bucket, or mixing bowl:

2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk, white reserved for topping
1/4 cup lukewarm water
8 tablespoons butter

img_3547.JPG

Program your bread machine for the dough cycle, and press Start. After a few minutes the dough will look like this. See what I mean about a hand-kneading challenge?

img_3610.JPG

But when it’s done kneading – YES. Lovely and smooth.

If you use a stand mixer, this dough takes longer than most to develop, so be prepared to let it mix and knead for up to 15 minutes. You’ll probably want to stick with the beater blade longer than normal. How long? Till the dough comes together enough that it looks like the dough hook would work.

img_3611.JPG

If you’re using a bread machine, add 2/3 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks, and 2/3 cup dried sweet cherries about 1 minute before the end of the kneading cycle.

img_3612.JPG

You don’t want to add them too soon; the point is to barely distribute them throughout the dough without breaking them up.

If you’re using a mixer, briefly knead in the chips/chunks and cherries once the dough is fully kneaded.

img_3615.JPG

Let the machine complete its entire dough cycle, then cover the bucket with plastic wrap, and refrigerate the dough for several hours, or overnight.

If you’ve kneaded the dough in a stand mixer, form it into a ball (it’ll be very soft), place it in a greased bowl, cover the bowl, and it let rise for 1 hour. Then refrigerate the dough for several hours, or overnight. Refrigeration will slow the fermentation and chill the butter, making the dough easier to shape.

img_3617.JPG

Here’s the dough after its overnight rise; as you can see, it’s puffed a bit. But this isn’t a wild and crazy riser, so don’t expect it to fill the pan (or even come close).

Before you start shaping the dough, make the filling by whisking or shaking together 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process. You’ll want to work quickly once the dough is out of the fridge – the warmer/softer the dough gets, the more of a challenge it is to work with. So best have all your ducks in a row (and your filling made) before you start on the dough.

img_3618.JPG

Turn the cold dough onto a well-floured work surface. I’m using our new silicone baking mat here.

img_3620.JPG

Shape the dough into a 24” log.

img_3621.JPG

Flatten it out so it’s about 6” to 7” wide. Don’t try to make it perfectly even; it’ll look ragged.

img_3622.JPG

Turn it over, to make sure it’s not sticking. See the excess flour?

img_3623.JPG

Brush it off. Don’t be finicky; just brush off what you can.

img_3624.JPG

Brush the dough with milk or water.

img_3625.JPG

Sprinkle the filling evenly atop the dough.

img_3626.JPG

Like this. See how I’ve left one long side bare?

img_3627.JPG

Starting with the long side that’s NOT bare, roll the dough into a log. Yes, this will be a somewhat messy process. Just tuck any errant cherries or chocolate chunks back inside.

img_3628.JPG

Place the log seam side down on your work surface, smoothing it as best you can.

img_3653.JPG

Lay the log in a lightly greased 9” round cake pan that’s at least 2” tall. You can simply lay it in a circle, squeezing the ends together…

img_3630.JPG

…or shape it into a coil, which I prefer. It makes the slices more interesting-looking when you serve the brioche.

Taper the tail end…

img_3631.JPG

…and tuck it underneath.

img_3633.JPG

Cover the pan, and allow the brioche to rise for 2 to 3 hours, till it’s quite puffy.

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

img_3634.JPG

Brush the risen brioche with the egg white reserved from the dough. Whisk the white with 1 tablespoon of cold water first; it’ll make it easier to spread.

img_3636.JPG

Sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons Swedish pearl sugar, or coarse white sparkling sugar. Or a combination.

img_3637.JPG

Here I’ve segregated the two sugars, so I could really see how they look, side by side, on the baked loaf.

img_3638.JPG

Go heavy on the sugar.

img_3640.JPG

Bake the brioche for 20 minutes.

img_3641.JPG

Nice rise! This is why you want to make sure your pan is at least 2” deep. Some manufacturers try to save money by skimping on depth, making a pan that’s 1 3/4” deep, or even 1 5/8”. A solid 9” x 2” round pan should be a basic part of every baker’s pan-theon (groannnn….)

Tent it with aluminum foil, and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until it’s golden brown and its interior registers 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.

img_3642.JPG

Remove the brioche from the oven, and after about 5 minutes loosen the edges.

img_3647.JPG

Carefully turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.

img_3676.JPG

So how do those sugars look?  As expected – the coarse white is glittery, the pearl snowflake-y.

img_3673.JPG

Remember what I said about the coil making a more interesting slice? Note the double swirl effect.

img_3654.JPG

How’s that, sports fans? The melty chocolate chunks, moist cherries, that cocoa swirl… all packed into a buttery brioche.

DO try this at home. Honest, it’s not hard at all – so long as you don’t try to knead the dough by hand.

(Have I mentioned recently how wonderfully the Zo kneads dough?)

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Chocolate-Cherry Brioche.

comments

1. Claire

This looks amazing! I have a mini Zo – do you think the recipe would work well halved?

Claire, no need to halve – your Mini will knead this dough just fine… PJH

2. Mike T.

As if the Cherry Almond (should be called Double Cherry/Chocolate/Almond) Brownie recipe in the catalog wasn’t enough, you have to do this to me first thing in the morning?!?!? Evil, you’re just evil…. :-)

Gonna have to try this for a weekend breakfast treat! Do you think almonds would go well here too? Chopped up or slivered?

Sure, Mike, almonds would be great. But you know what? I think I’d put them on top, so they’d get nice and toasty. How does that sound? (Are you allowing yourself off your diet for T-giving??) :) PJH

3. sarah

Wow, that looks delicious. I already have the Zo, as does my mom and brother….but is there any chance you all might bring the recipe book for it back? Last time, I was out of town and missed getting it before it sold out. that, I would definitely be getting for xmas presents!!

I don’t think there’s much chance of the recipe book coming back :( But I’ll pass your request along to our merchandise team. Maybe they have a few leftovers hanging around somewhere… PJH

4. Melissa S

Wow this looks delicious! I’ve never had a brioche before, let alone actually MAKE one, but I think I’m going to have to make this for our Thanksgiving feast!!
    If I don’t have a 2″ deep cake pan will it spill over the side? Or will it just not look quite as lovely when it is removed?
    Thanks for such an awesome blog!!

Melissa, it MAY spill over the side; not sure. If your pan is almost 2″, it might be OK…. Maybe wrap a 1/2″ or so rim of tin foil around the top of the pan, to make it taller? PJH

5. Beth @ 990 Square

My mouth is watering…this might be the next at home bread project!

And now I want a Zo. Is it really heavy? I see a shipping weight of 16 pounds online. I have limited counter space, so the only appliance that gets a permanent space out is my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Is this too heavy to put away and get out?

Beth, you might be interested in the Zo Mini, whose 8″ x 11″ footprint is just less than a standard sheet of paper (8 1/2″ x 11″). It kneads dough made with 3 cups of flour very nicely, and has a handle on top so you can swing it in and out of the cupboard easily. The bigger Zo does more, but of course it’s bigger and heavier. Really not ultra-heavy (somewhat less than 16 lb., if shipping weight is 16 lb.) – but it’s definitely more awkward to get out and put away than the smaller, vertical Mini. As I say, we use the Zo’s all the time – they’re awesome. The only reason I don’t show them in the blog all the time is because I figure readers are more likely to have a stand mixer… but if you’re an inveterate bread baker, trust me, you’ll love the Zo. Hope this helps – PJH

6. Jessica

As the proud owner of a Zo mini, I was so excited to see this post – would this recipe work in the mini? Or should the ingredient quantities be reduced?

2 3/4 cups flour, Jessica, should work just fine. Go for it! PJH

7. Gabby

This looks fantastic. I normally would be intimidated but with the step by step photos and my trusty Zo I think I will give it a try. I’m going to try a dried cranberry/chocolate chunk combo with vanilla and then add the sparkling sugar and slivered almonds on top. My church is having a ladies’ coffee on Saturday and this should be perfect. Thanks!

Your trusty Zo won’t disappoint you – and I’m betting the ladies will be very happy! PJH

8. Benita

This. Looks. Amazing. I think I just died a little inside. I’m allergic to dairy and miss buttery brioche like crazy.

Any idea how this would work with margarine (like Earth Balance) instead of butter? How about a substitution for the dry milk? I usually just look for bread recipes without any dairy but I would really, really like to try this one if at all possible.

Haven’t tried it without butter or milk, Benita. You could certainly leave out the dry milk. But margarine instead of butter… I think if you use “real” margarine, not low-fat or tub, it should work? PJH

9. Kevin

When I went to get a printable version of the recipe, the volume measurements called for 8 tablespoons of butter. Switching to the weight measurements listed 4 tablespoons of butter. I assume that it should have read 4 ounces. Am I correct?
    Thank you.

Yes, I’ll fix that right now – thanks, Kevin! PJH

10. lillian hearn

Looks great…Have no room for a full size Zo. Can I purchase a Mini from your company? I DID HAVE A BREAD MACHINE. WHICH i RUINED., not a Zo, Thanks

Sure, Lillian – See the Zo Mini right here. Zo’s are very, very strudy – believe it or not, with all we put them through, we haven’t had one go on the blink for us yet – PJH

11. Nadine T.

This looks amazing, but I don’t have a bread maker. Last time I tried making bread in my KitchenAid, results were … less than spectacular. I seem to remember the dough kept climbing up the blade. Any tips?

Nadine, I’m not sure why this is happening. You were using the dough hook, right? How about if you tried greasing the dough hook so the dough couldn’t get grip? Maybe it was just the particular recipe you were using… Readers, have any of you solved this issue? – PJH

12. Lee

could you, would you – slice up the log in pseudo-cinnamon roll style and put it in a pan that way?
    we love choc/cherry here. Just made the choc/cherry scones from the KA whole grain cookbook and took them to the cafe’ at church to rave reviews!

Sure, Lee, go for it – although that would expose the chocolate and cherries to more heat, and more chance of burning. Maybe tent the pans with foil? PJH

13. Carol

I have used a double paddled Breadman Plus for years and use the dough cycle most of the time. In your instructions you say to complete the dough cycle – does that mean letting it go into the rise cycle or not.

I am anxious to try this new recipe. I usually make bread for myself and give the second to friends, and I know they’ll love this.

Yes, let it complete the entire dough cycle, then refrigerate overnight. Enjoy – PJH

14. Tom

And I intended to say that even though our Zo is old, we still use it at least twice a week. Usually we use it to make dough, but we also make the risotto frequently. Jam works well, too. The machine’s major strength is making dough. – Tom

15. dksbook

My Zo was a gift in 1989 – so it’s been going strong for 20 years – thru 7 military moves and use on a transformer. I knead my brioche in mine, too, from an old Sunset recipe I adapted. I’m a brioche purist, though, so the tarted-up version will probably not make my table, but I love the coil shape. My next brioche loaf will look a little like this one!

Thanks for the testimonial! My Zo at home is from 1992, I believe – one of the old vertical models. They just never quit, do they? :) PJH

16. Jody

Just got a Zo and am not familiar with the timing for the various “cycles”. Could you please state how long the Zo’s dough cycle takes? Especially since you say to add the chocolate chunks & cherries one minute before the dough cycle ends. That would mean I would need to time it exactly, so specifics would be welcome!

Looks quite tempting and something I will definitely make.

Jody, I actually programmed in my own dough cycle using the memory feature, so I know exactly how long the kneading goes. I believe the kneading part of the pre-programmed dough cycle is just about 25 minutes; but I believe there’s a preheat cycle tacked onto the front of that, so… Your best bet will be to either study the instruction manual (they should have a chart with all the various cycles/times); or make some dough while you’re in the kitchen, and use a count-up timer or stopwatch to find out how long it goes from pressing the Start button, to the end of kneading. If you’re confused, please call our Baker’s Hotline: 802-649-3717. Good luck – PJH

17. Tim

@Benita: I’ve used the Earth Balance margarine in the tub before in several recipes, but the Earth Balance sticks are easier to use. As for the dry milk, there are probably some substitutes but I’ve never really investigated them.

18. MichiganKimberlyD

Thumb up on Michigan Cherries, is there a shortage of them this year for I was told by my local news here on the east side of Michigan (Thumb area) that Travis City had to import cherries for their festival.

Haven’t heard of a shortage, but you’d know better than we would out East. Better stock up! PJH

19. Sherry

My bread machine will handle enough flour at once to double this recipe — is there any reason not to make two loaves at the same time?

No problem, Sherry – be sure to keep half the dough refrigerated as you work with the other half. It gets very sticky when warm… Enjoy – PJH

20. Julie

C’est l’enface de l’art– the equivalent to “It’s a piece of cake.”

Julie, what does that mean, literally? I don’t know “l’enface…” Thanks – PJH

21. Cher

For Nadine — I do sometimes run into the “climbing dough” with the Kitchen Aid mixer on some recipes that are either large or “sticky”. I have found that occasionally stopping the kneading and pushing the dough back down is usually the best way to deal if it is becoming too irritating.

Unless its a really sticky dough, it shouldn’t create issues (i.e. gooking up the top of the attachment). Don’t give up on your KA for making bread. This is only a <3 cup flour recipe, so you shouldn’t have any problem!

22. Lish

Nadine-
    I sometimes have the issue with the dough climbing the dough hook, though it doesn’t usually adversely affect the dough. Often a sticky soft dough will do this, or if the dough is not the right consistency. It never climbs over the top of the hook, and greasing your hands and pulling the hook out and pushing the dough down once or twice usually takes care of the problem. Don’t let it discourage you, I use my kitchenaid to make at least two to three yeast projects a week, and they all come out great! Good luck!

23. Eileen

I deal with the milk thing, too, and buttermilk (cultured — real, not dry) is a substitute that can almost always be used. In bread machine recipes with lots of whole grains, it works better than adding gluten. Keeps in the refrigerator for months (really!). And as for the butter — sometimes you just have to pay the price!

24. Kat

For Benita: I am lactose intolerant too. I have found that margarine, while fine to use as a substitute for some things. makes a poor substitute in Brioche. And, since I go ahead and use the butter, I go ahead and use all the iother milk products as called for. Just stock up on some Lactaid tablets. It is well worth it! believe me.

25. Joni

I did it! Used my KA mixer and a 9in springform pan to get the 2″ sides. Am currently looking at a masterpiece that looks just like the picture. Now how do I store this? While eating the entire brioche is an option– I’d prefer to freeze some for the next month. Heavy duty tin foil and a slow oven re-heat?

YAY Joni! Excellent! Yes, plastic wrap, then aluminum foil; thaw at room temp., and reheat for about 10 minutes in a 350°F oven, should be good as new. PJH

26. Christina

Benita: We’re dealing with dairy intolerance in my home and while I can’t vouch for this recipe (yet), I have had really good luck using Earth Balance (original) in the sticks for bread recipes that call for butter. I can almost always drop the dry milk in exchange for soy/rice/almond/hemp/etc milk that is liquid. You can usually sub 1 cup of liquid dairy sub for 1 cup of water + 1/4 cup of dry dairy milk in a recipe (sometimes it takes just a wee bit less)… but if it is less than 1 cup of liquid total in the recipe, I just use the non-dairy sub for total liquid or just use the water. It tends to work out ok for me, but maybe that gives you a starting point.

PJ: We’re saving up our “dairy chips” (so to speak) for this one. Chocolate, cherry, and yummy bread… hurray!

I’ve got the Zo on my wishlist and hoping that Santa or Santa’s helpers send one my way!

Christina, thanks for sharing this good info. May Santa reward you – remind him if Rudolph is on the blink (so to speak), he can get free shipping on the Zo this month … PJH

27. Pilar

This sounds amazing. Usually my husband is in charge of the bread. We have a Zo, big present ever… I was concern it may not get lot of use, silly me. We use it at least 3 times a week, is wonderful.
    Thanks,

Pilar, surprising how much bread (and pizza, and rolls, and focaccia, and bread sticks, and pretzels, and…) you’re suddenly making once you have a Zo, huh? :) PJH

28. Kate

Mixed this up last night and it’s rising on my counter at this very moment. I also used my Kitchen Aid with no problem and no climbing. It started out looking very suspicious with the dough hook just trailing through a dough-ish mess that looks like quicksand, but by the time 12-15 minutes are up, the dough had come together nicely and was clinging in a ball to the hook.

29. sherry

Can I replace potato flour with corn starch? It is earier to find corn starch at grocery store.
    Thanks,
    Sherry

No, that’s OK, Sherry – just leave it out, or use instant potato flakes – about double the amount of the potato flour called for. PJH

30. Sue

MichiganKimberlyD, I have family in the Traverse area and the main reason they imported cherries this year, is that the cherries we sooo late. A very long spring and then a cold, wet summer. I use dried cherries a lot because I don’t like raisins, and I haven’t noticed a spike in prices.

31. Shannon

Yes, Zo’s do quit. We had two around 1995. The first one failed during the warranty. They replaced it with another and it failed, just after the warranty expired. We only used it to make bread a couple times a week. We have one of their fuzzy logic rice makers, it makes the best rice.

Hi, Shannon – you may have gotten one during a period when they were switching manufacturing facilities from Japan, to China, to Korea – they did go through some tumultuous times for awhile. All I can say is, our X20s here in the test kitchen are hanging in there just fine. Glad their rice cooker is working for you – and I’ll tell you, they make the BEST thermoses – the only coffee thermos I’ve ever had that keeps coffee HOT – and I mean HOT – for 8 hours, while I sip it all day long… PJH

32. HMB

This was so good and it looks BEAUTIFUL!!! I made it with chunks of bittersweet SharffenBerger chocolate and used tart cherries rather than sweet because that’s what we prefer in this household. I think I’ll have to try this with chopped hazelnuts and nutella sometime. Or with almonds and apricots. Never thought to make brioche this way. I consider myself a pretty experienced home baker, but I learn so much from you folks. I love KAF!!!

Thanks for sharing – I love your other combinations, too. Now you have me thinking… :) PJH

33. Ernestine Ranson

This looks wonderful. I have always been too intimidated to try brioche.
    Is there a reason for using this pan instead of the traditional brioche pan?
    I have to admit, the pan was one reason I’ve always wanted to try this.
    HI Ernestine,
    You certainly could make this in a traditional brioche pan. We like the ring, it’s rather festive as the holidays draw near, but other shapes are just fine. ~ MaryJane

34. Ronnie Daldos

This looks amazing! I had been drooling over getting the machine and the free shipping, combined with 20% off pushed me over the edge and I gave myself an early christmas present! Any chance I can get hold of one of those recipe books? Can’t wait to try my new bread maker on something fun!
    Hi Ronnie,
    We are going to be re-printing the Beyond Bread books, but don’t have a date etc. Just keep your eyes peeled in 2010. ~ MaryJane

35. Anne

I am a new Mini Zo owner – 1st breadmachine – have never used it to made dough. I’d love to try this recipe & would appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Specifically, can this dough be made in the Mini? I’m presuming the refrigerator rising should be in a bowl, not the bread pan of a Mini.
    Trying to figure out the right time to add the chocolate & cherries.
    What is the minimum time to refrigerate the dough if I’m not going to let it set overnight? The directions say several hours…would that be 3, 4 or more? Is it better if it sets in the fridge longer?

I’m eager to make this and thank you in advance for help.

Yes, Anne, this recipe can be made using the Zo Mini – just go ahead and follow the directions as written. No difference between the larger Zo, and the Mini, as far as process goes. Add the cherries and chocolate about 1 minute before the end of the final kneading cycle; you can find out how long that kneading cycle is by looking at the instruction manual. (And if you have any questions, please call our customer service folks – 1.800.827.6836.) Yes, the dough can rest in its pan in the fridge; it handles most easily when it’s thoroughly chilled. Not sure how long it takes to thoroughly chill, but I’d suspect at least 3 hours. Longer is fine, too. Just stick you finger into the middle of the dough – if it feels fridge-cold, it’s thoroughly chilled. Good luck – you can do it! PJH

36. Karen

Any ideas on freezing? Would love to have this at Christmas but don’t want to do all my baking at the last minute.

Probably best to freeze the finished loaf at this point, Karen. Wrap airtight in plastic, then in foil. Unwrap, leaving lightly tented with plastic or foil, and thaw at room temperature. Just before serving, tent with foil and reheat in a 350°F oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. Enjoy! PJH

37. Lindsay

I had been eyeballing this recipe for weeks and today’s brunch was the perfect occasion! I was worried about the awkward rising timing for a brunch, so I made the dough on Friday, rolled/shaped it Saturday, then covered and fridged it. Sunday morning, I brought it to room temp and baked it with multicolor sparkle sugar. No adverse effects from the extra overnight in the fridge. Got rave reviews from my semi-foodie mom group!

I made it in a 9×13, rolled up in the middle, as I don’t have any rounds of the right size. This seemed to work fine, although without having a pan edge around them, the outer lower edges were much darker than the lovely risen golden coil in the middle. Next time, I think I’d roll a looser spiral so that when it bakes, the inner edges would just meet and result in a flatter, wider spiral rather than one that peaks in the middle. I baked it for 2 minutes less in the 9×13, and if I rolled it in this manner, I’d hope to cut a few more minutes off and get a more overall lighter golden color. I’d also tuck the plastic wrap in next time; I just covered the pan tightly, but the extra air probably dried out the edges a bit.

Good improvisation, Lindsay – thanks for your feedback, and glad it worked out well for you. PJH

38. Mel A

I want to do this with a brown sugar & crushed pecan filling (pecan pie brioche!), but I only have active dry yeast. How much should I use to sub for the instant yeast and should I bloom it before putting it in the Zo?
    Use 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast; put the recipe’s liquid into the Zo first, add the yeast, then the remaining ingredients, and mix away. It will be fine. Susan