Coming (and not a moment too) soon to a store near you: eggnog!

img_2284

Now that November is a fact of life, rather than a somber cloud on the horizon, it’s time to accept it:  summer’s gone for good. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

After all,  autumn signals the start of the holiday baking season. And that’s a very good thing indeed.

Sure, none of us likes to feel pushed  – I mean, it’s downright irritating to see back-to-school ads in stores by mid-June, before school even lets out for the summer up here in New England. And Halloween in August? C’mon.

But when you love to bake, the return of cooler weather is exciting. It means you can light the oven without drawing sighs of exasperation from your overheated family. And without the garden calling you to come weed, you feel no guilt at all about staying indoors on a Saturday afternoon, poring over cookbooks, Googling recipes, deciding what kind of cookies to bake for this week’s school lunches.

Autumn also means the return of cooler-weather flavors. Cinnamon and ginger, nutmeg and allspice are perfect in apple and pumpkin pies, molasses cookies, gingerbread… all of the darker, lustier dishes that replace summer’s light, berry-based desserts.

And November – soon, now – signals the appearance of one of my very favorite seasonal ingredients of all: eggnog.

Come the holidays, I love the rich, distinctive flavor of nutmeg in cake, cookies, muffins… even eggnog bread, for French toast. I’ve never made eggnog pancakes, but why not? Any recipe that calls for milk or cream as one of the ingredients should work equally well made with eggnog – and taste a whole lot fancier.

That was what inspired these eggnog scones. A healthy helping of cinnamon bits adds nice complementary flavor, and a compelling look.

If you don’t care for eggnog – or can’t wait for it to appear in the supermarket – simply substitute heavy or whipping cream. But if eggnog is a special favorite at the holidays, something you wait for all year, then bookmark this blog.

Because Cinnamon-Eggnog Scones are bound to be a holiday hit.

img_2245.JPG

Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites (on the left), or cinnamon chips? Chips will be softer in your scones, with milder flavor; Flav-R-Bites will be crunchier, with more assertive flavor.

For softer Flav-R-Bites, soak in milk for 10 to 15 minutes (no longer – they’ll eventually dissolve); drain before using. Substitute the cinnamon-milk for some of the eggnog in the recipe, if desired; or brush it atop oven-ready scones, for added color and flavor.

img_2248.JPG

OK, let’s get started. Whisk together the following:

2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Add 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, cut into pats or small cubes.

img_2249.JPG

Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it’s OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.

img_2251.JPG

Stir in 2 cups cinnamon chips or cinnamon Flav-R-Bites, or a combination.

img_2246.JPG

In a separate bowl, whisk together the following:

1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon eggnog flavor
3/4 cup cold eggnog

img_2252.JPG

Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients.

img_2253.JPG

Stir until everything is moistened and holds together. A bowl scraper helps incorporate the dry stuff in the bottom of the bowl into the mass of dough.

img_2254.JPG

There. Now it’s ready to shape.

img_2255.JPG

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface; a silicone rolling mat works well here. Divide the dough in half; each half will weigh about 18 ounces. Roll and pat each half into a 6 1/2” circle.

img_2258.JPG

Each circle will be about 3/4” thick.

img_2259.JPG

Using an acrylic pizza wheel, a knife, or a bench knife that you’ve run under cold water, slice each circle into 6 wedges. BE CAREFUL – don’t bear down; you don’t want to cut the mat. That’s why I use an acrylic pizza wheel.

img_2261.JPG

Easy, right?

img_2262.JPG

Transfer the circle of wedges to a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet; a giant spatula comes in handy here.

Carefully pull the wedges away from the center to separate them just a bit; there should be about 1/2” space between them, at their outer edges.

img_2263.JPG

Alternately, use a 2 1/4″ round cutter to cut each circle into 6 to 8 rounds.

img_2264.JPG

To get 8 rounds, you’ll need to gather the scraps…

img_2266.JPG

…shape them into a 3/4”-thick rectangle about the width of your cutter, and cut 2 more scones.

img_2268.JPG

Can’t make up your mind what shape to cut? Cut one circle into wedges, the other into rounds.

img_2269.JPG

Brush each scone with some eggnog…

img_2272.JPG

…and sprinkle with sparkling white sugar, or cinnamon-sugar.

img_2273.JPG

Ah, beautiful! Ready to go into the oven, right? Not quite yet. For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered.

While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F.

img_2271.JPG

Back to our wedge-shaped scones. Notice the bit of space between them? Placing them close together, but not touching, means their sides will bake up soft and tender.

img_2274.JPG

Bake the scones for about 20 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.

img_2286.JPG

When you pull one away from the others, it should look baked all the way through; the edge shouldn’t look wet or unbaked.

Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan.

img_2275.JPG

Serve warm, with a cup of holiday cheer… or some cold eggnog!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Cinnamon-Eggnog Scones.

comments

1. Nancy

OMG, I love eggnog and these look delicious! I never even thought about using eggnog to bake with….maybe because it never lasts that long:)

2. Jessica

Oh, wow. I can’t wait to try these. I saw some eggnog in the supermarket today and thought it was a little early, but I’ve changed my mind! And another recipe to try out the Flav-R-Bites in!

Lucky you, Jessica – eggnog’s not in at our local store yet… I’m waiting (im)patiently! Enjoy – PJH

3. HMB

I go nuts baking with eggnog — and because I like it all year when it’s not always available, I stash eggnog muffins and pound cakes and bread in my freezer to enjoy for those times I’m just craving that taste! I saw my first cartons of the season last week — made an eggnog poundcake this past weekend. Now I’ve GOT to try these scones, because I have some cinnamon chips in the house. You folks at KAF just keep coming up with so many great ideas! So many recipes, so little time!!!

Ha! I agree. I’ll bet I’ve made about 1% of all the recipes I’ve clipped over the years… But what fun to read through them and imagine, huh? PJH

4. cindy leigh

looks great! I use your scone recipe all the time to make various flavors. The basic recipe I printed does not have an egg, though. (It’s got buttermilk or cream, and I use half of each).
    BUT, our hens are laying like crazy and I’m looking for different ways to use eggs, and eggnog is at the top of my list.
    So, there are eggnog scones in our immediate future!

Wow, eggnog from scratch? You go, girl! Have fun with this – PJH

5. linda

hey sister,

i see what you’ve been up to… & it will cost me another round on the ole treadmill…but that’s ok. these look YUM!

this may seem like a dumb question…but, where can i purchase the silver tool used for dusting the cinnamon sugar…you are dusting cin sugar correct?

also, could you add chocolate chips to this recipe?

thanks

Hey back, sister – not a dumb question! Believe it or not, it’s a tea strainer – a little perforated ball on the end of a stick. Works grand for sieving sugar… I thinnk you can get them at most kitchen stores. And chocolate chips? Of course! EVERYTHING goes better with chocolate… :) PJH

6. Terri A.

These have now made it to my holiday baking list! Looks wonderful! I love eggnog, too. My mom used to make an eggnog jello at the holidays, which was the only jello mold I’d eat. We always make eggnog bread, too.

Eggnog gelatin mold – now THAT sounds… simply scrumptious. Hmmm… wonder how I’d recreate? Have to find a gelled salad recipe using milk or cream… Thanks for the inspiration, Terri! PJH

7. Rachel

Yum! I can’t wait to try these! ;D Now, to go buy some eggnog! ;) I have found a love for scones this year, always thought before they were hard. ;) HaHa! Not so at all! :D I bet these would be just delicious!

Scones, unfortunately, have a fairly short shelf life (except these glazed mini scones). But oven-fresh – a few hours old – or briefly reheated, not dry at all. Glad you discovered them, Rachel! PJH

8. Alissa

These look totally delicious! I just wish our oven was working so I could bake some right now :)

My oven at home hasn’t worked for years. Lucky I have the job I do. So, not even a toaster oven, huh, Alissa? We’ll have to figure out more microwave baking – and I hope your oven recovers soon! PJH

9. linda

HAHH!
    thought it could be a tea strainer…very, very clever!!! i have one in my arsenal! you go girl! :)

Yeah – I actually have two – the one you see, with the little holes, that’s my upscale one. I also have a cheap sieve-like one. Well, after all, you never know what kind of sifting you’re going to want to do! The silver one is better when you just want a little bit; the sieve when you want more, or when you’re using something potentially balky like lumpy confectioners’ sugar. It’s occasions like this I start to think, “You went to four years of college so you could play with sifters?” And the answer is: YOU BETCHA! Have a great day, Linda- sisters rule… PJH

10. Kelly

Am I seeing correctly that you’re using your paddle on the stand mixer to cut in the butter? Does that mean I don’t have to use that blasted butter-cutter-inner that I have?! I detest that thing and if I can avoid using it I’ll be making these scones very soon indeed!

Yes, you may use a paddle attachment to cut in butter. Frank @ KAF.

11. twyla

I adore Eggnog. My husband laughs at me for it. I have some in my fridge right now and will definitely try this :).

btw, your link to egg nog bread takes me to the muffins?

Thanks, Twyla – link fixed. PJH

12. Sue

Thanks for another recipe using cinnamon chips. I bought both kinds and still haven’t used them. I need to get crackin’!!

Yeah, Sue – get crackin’ some eggs! :) PJH

13. JUDY

I HAVE FORWARDED THIS RECIPE TO MY HUBBY, ALBERT ( THE ULTIMATE BAKER ) AND HOPE HE TAKES THE, NOT SO SUBTLE, HINT ……. THESE SCONES ” LOOK MAHVELOUS ” !!!!!!!!!

Albert – step up, now, OK? :) PJH

14. Melissa D. SC

What is the option for adding cinnamon if you cannot purchase the cinnamon chips or the cinnamon Flav-R-bites? We are on such a restricted budget until we are completely out of debt, which should be in the next 2 months..I’m really working hard on that….but I would love to make these.

Would it be possible to just add cinnamon and end up with more of a swirl look and how much would you suggest…..

Thanks so much for your time.
    Blessings,
    Melissa D. SC

Melissa, how about simply sprinkling lots of cinnamon-sugar on top? You could also sprinkle the dough with cinnamon sugar, then knead it in very briefly, to create a swirl effect, as you say – try 1 teaspoon cinnamon, sprinkled evenly over the dough, then briefly kneaded in. Good luck – PJH

15. BakingSpiritsBright

I love eggnog but it never occurred to me to use it in baking. Now I know. I love my pastry blender (butter-cutter-inner thing) but I really like the idea of using the paddle attachment too. I happen to have Devon cream in fridge to put on my scones so I will be making some soon, maybe today!

16. Nancie

YUM YUM. I have a question for you though, I have one of your scone mixes, the French Toast flavored one. If I change the liquid for that mix with egg nog, would it be enough to flavor it? I do have an egg nog oil flavoring, since these are stronger, how much of that would I need to use? Otherwise, I will just make these from scratch, we have egg nog in the stores!

Yes, you could totally make the French toast scone mix with eggnog, Nancie – you may need to use a bit more, as it’s so thick. Adding additional eggnog flavor would depend on how strong you like the eggnog flavor – how about trying just 1/8 teaspoon? Have fun – PJH

17. KathyD

These sound wonderful. I can’t wait to try them. Could we soak those flavor bits in the egg nog before adding to the recipe or do they soak up lots of liquid? My hubby will love these cinnamon and egg nog in the same breakfast…mmmmm. I can almost smell them baking now!

They do soak up some liquid, but I’m betting not more than a tablespoon – so sure, soak in eggnog – thanks, Kathy, great idea! PJH

18. kate

I am drooling over these! i think i am going to have to start a new tradition – Thanksgiving BREAKFAST which will include these scones. yum!!!!

19. Jennifer

I will have to try these. My Dad use to make the best eggnog. Doesn’t any more. Obviously I will need to make two batches. One to make sure I can make them and the second to give to Dad for Christmas.

20. monica

Do I just store these in the freezer until I’m ready to bake them? I want to make them now, but have a pot roast in the oven!

Yup. that’s right, Monica – freeze for up to a month or so, well wrapped… PJH

21. Alice

I have a recipe similar to this (though it has baking soda and some proportions of ingredients are slightly different) and it is really good. I got it from a coworker who brought the scones in to work. They were so popular that I asked for the recipe, dropped it accidentally, and some other coworker absconded with it (I got it back but the coworker asked if they could make a copy as well).

They’ve been very popular with my friends and my parents (who want me to bake it everytime I come home for christmas now) and I’ve substituted buttermilk for the eggnog when it’s not holiday season and also have with great success turned the buttermilk version into a peppermint chocolate chip scone (very tastey particularly if you like chocolate and mint flavor together).

Alice, thanks for the feedback – peppermint scones with chocolate chips sound delightful… PJH

22. AJ

I knew I wasn’t the only one who saw eggnog and thought..what if…! I’ve even played around with those *flavered* creamers…ever tried hazel-nut french toast? Hmmm…hazelnut scones? Have fun friends!

23. Cher

I was so excited to see this recipe — I even broke my cardinal rule of not baking on a weeknight to try these. This recipe rose a little higher than some other recipes I have tried in the past and these scones were SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

My whole house still smells like egg nog, which is a bonus.

I always look forward to seeing what new taste adventure will pop up next on the blog. Thank you for the inspiration!

24. BakingSpiritsBright

Well, I had to make these last night to make up for a little bickering with hubby. I made them with heavy cream, vanilla and cherry flavored craisins (his favorite). I sprinkled half with cinnamon sugar (his favorite) and half with sparkling sugar. They were great at 10 pm with my clotted cream and they reheated very nicely this morning for hubby. It worked, we’re all good!

25. Sue E. Conrad

Wow, talk about the holiday spirit!!!!! I’ll certainly be making these THIS year…… And the combo of eggnog and cinnamon – in the words of one well-known chef, “How bad can that be”??!! With these scones plus the Easy Cinnamon Bread, I’ll be in cinnamon chip heaven/eggnog heaven!

26. Lish

I have pumpkin flavored eggnog in my fridge, since my husband always picks me up eggnog, especially in the new flavors. I adore eggnog and eggnog flavored things. I am thinking these would be great with the spicy eggnog coffee from Green Mountain, my personal favorite flavored coffee. (Along with their french toast flavor) Awesome! Will make them today with my pumpkin eggnog. I think they will be a pretty orange color.

Lish, you’re right – they’ll be a lovely light-pumpkin color, I wager. AND I’m drinking a cup of GM spicy eggnog coffee right now! Just got a box of K-cups – gingerbread, holiday blend, spicy eggnog, and chocolate glazed donut… It’s that season, isn’t it? :) PJH

27. Peggy

OMG doesn’t even begin to describe these scones.

I just made them this morning and I was in shock!! I was at KA last weekend and had the cinnamon cream scones they were sampling. I have to say that this recipe is even BETTER!!!

Don’t pass up the opportunity to make these. They are amazing.

Thanks, Peggy! Hope you enjoyed your trip to our “campus” – PJH

28. Phyllis

Just read your blog and have everything to make these for breakfast tomorrow morning.
    I have some Egg Nog Syrup along with the egg nog I use to make Latte’s, can I use that in the scone recipe instead of vanilla?

Sure, Phyllis – even better, brush it over the hot scones when they come out of the oven. Extra flavor, extra moistness. Sounds wonderful. PJH

29. HMB

When I saw the photo of the perfect round of dough, I thought to myself, “How come my scones never look that perfect?” Mine tend to look a little shaggier and rugged, especially around the edges. But, wow, when I made these yesterday, they were picture perfect too! And tasty — but how can you go wrong with all those cinnamon chips and the eggnog? Yesterday was also the first time I ever made scones in the mixer. Previously, I’ve always cut the butter in by hand — I figured it was easier to control the size of the butter bits and would keep me from overworking the dough. But, hey, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! The scones turned out great!

Just hear us old dogs howwwlllllllll, right? We’re always learning new stuff in the kitchen. Like, who would have thought coarse white sparkling sugar would be the perfect topping to caramelize for creme brulée? We always figured fine sugar would caramelize more evenly… not so. Thanks for adding your thoughts here, HMB – PJH

30. Phyllis

Just wanted you to know I tried these with the Eggnog syrup in the batter and brushed on top after they were done. They are wonderful.
    Thanks for all your recipes and comments. Love it. If only I didn’t live 3000 miles away – someday I’ll visit your store.

31. Kimbob

I made these this morning and they were delicious! My husband had 3 of them for breakfast! The only change I made was to use 1 1/2 cups of cinnamon chips (instead of 2 cups) since I don’t have a lot of chips left. I gave some to my friend and she loved them, too. This recipe is a keeper!!!

32. Tom

Lately we’ve been into scones especially with your cinnamon bites, so this recipe will get a test run real soon. Here in the mid-west we have “Holiday Nog,” an egg nog drink that uses 2% milk instead of whole milk (I think.) Please share your thoughts if this might be a fair substitute for regular egg nog. Be honest – I’ll use the real thing if you think it might detract from what I’m anticipating to be a most excellent scone.

BTW – Egg Nog Syurp…Pumpkin Egg Nog? My, my. where do you find these earthly delights?

Tom, 2% eggnog would be just fine, and your waistline will probably thank you… We have pumpkin eggnog (and cinnamon eggnog! and soy eggnog! and fat-free eggnog – something for everyone) in New England – I think it comes from our biggest milk producer, Hood Milk. Eggnog syrup, haven’t seen except online – sounds yummy, though- PJH

33. Katherine

These were so good, would have been better were it not for my temperamental oven. 15 minutes to burn, whereas the brownies I baked earlier took 50 minutes instead of 30. Even with an oven thermometer to verify.. Sigh!

Love the cinnamon bites too. :) What a way to impress coworkers!

34. Trish

Can I use my scone pan for these? Or even my mini-scone pan?
    You certainly can. Why not double the recipe and use both! Molly @ KAF

35. Marguerite A.

This is a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat recipe… delicious! Even though commercial eggnog is a seasonal item, it can be homemade by adding egg yolk to light cream or 1/2 & 1/2 or even milk for that matter. I think a need a larger stock of cinnamon chips and flav-r-bites!

36. Susan

Wow! I made these for Thanksgiving and they are a hit! The aroma was wonderful while the scones were in the oven and the taste was … WOW! My husband demands that I make these as often as I can! Thanks for the blog and the recipe!

Sounds like a great success, Susan – thanks for sharing! PJH

37. Trish

Can you get 2 cups of cinnamon chips out of a 12 ounce bag?

Yes, Trish – you’ll get about 3 cups of cinnamon chips out of a 1-lb. bag, so you can definitely get 2 cups out of 12 ounces. If you’re talking store-bought at the supermarket, I think they’re exactly 6 ounces per cup. – PJH

38. Connie Harrell

I made these for Thanksgiving and they were awesome! I would like to give some as Christmas gifts. Can they be frozen and cooked at a later date; like Christmas morning? If so, how long would they need to thaw before cooking? Thanks!

You can bake them right out of the freezer, simply giving them about 5-10 more minutes. Or, you can thaw in the fridge overnight and cook for the regular amount of time, maybe adding a minute or two. Either way, cook till golden brown. Enjoy – PJH

39. kaf-sub-jvannierop

My family loves these during the Holidays. After the eggnog disappears from the store shelves, I use flavored syrups. French vanilla, hazelnut, and mocha. I just mix 2-3 teaspoons into whole milk. And add the chips of the day (mint, chocolate, peanutbutter, etc).

Thanks for the tasty ideas! PJH