The one thing I HAVE to bake every Thanksgiving: pull-apart butter buns

img_3454

Oh, boy…  just look at these rolls.

I mean, feast your eyes on them. The golden, buttery crust. The soft, tender interior. Can’t you just imagine these, warm from the oven, the tiniest bit of steam wisping into the air as you pull them apart and reach for the butter dish?

Well, imagining is fine. But reality is right around the corner.

It’s called Thanksgiving.

Is there a baking holiday as gratifying, as delicious, as FUN as Thanksgiving? I think not. Thanksgiving is ALL ABOUT FOOD. No gift-shopping; no mall crowds. Just folks gathered together for a long, congenial day of football, friendship, family time… and food.

Turkey. Stuffing. Cranberry sauce. Mashed potatoes and giblet gravy, creamed onions, peas… The delicious double cliché of marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes, and green bean casserole mortared together with cream of mushroom soup and topped with canned fried onions.

Like old friends, these dishes aren’t perfect; they’re a bit tattered and worn, but comfortably so. Thanksgiving food is like that old pair of jeans you slip into when you get home from work. Undemanding; cozy; there for you, like a best friend.

We all have our signature Thanksgiving dishes. Maybe it’s homemade stuffing – buttery, onion-y, redolent of sage. Or perhaps cranberry nut muffins. Maybe your old-fashioned pumpkin pie?

Whichever of your recipes is the first one out of the box Thanksgiving morning, it’s undoubtedly a trusted standby, a guaranteed crowd favorite. For me, it’s these pull-apart rolls. I’ve dubbed around with the recipe over the years, and this is my current favorite version. I’m eager to share it with you here because it’s A) easy, B) delicious, and C) the essence of comfort food.

What better way to celebrate America’s favorite food holiday?

Let’s make Golden Pull-Apart Butter Buns.

img_3679.JPG

So, what’s with the white powders here? They’re two of my “gotta have” white bread ingredients: potato flour, and Baker’s Special Dry Milk. The potato flour adds moistness and keeping quality; the Special Dry Milk, a great rise.

Can you make these buns without these two ingredients? Sure, I’ll provide substitutions below. But if you make sandwich bread frequently, I suggest making them a regular pantry item; they DO make a nice difference.

img_3407.JPG

Mix together the following:

3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons potato flour or 1/4 cup instant potato flakes
3 tablespoons Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons soft butter
2/3 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup lukewarm milk

img_3408.JPG

Mix everything together to make a rough dough…

img_3410.JPG

…then knead for about 7 minutes at medium speed, till relatively smooth, but still rather sticky.

img_3485.JPG

Gather the dough into a ball, and put it in a greased container to rise. As always, I’m using my 8-cup measure; it’s fun to track the dough’s progress.

img_3487.JPG

Let the dough rise till it’s doubled; this’ll probably take 60 to 90 minutes. Look at those lovely air bubbles around the bottom – the yeast is growing, giving off CO2, stretching that gluten in the flour just like a balloon.

img_3427.JPG

Once the dough is risen, gently deflate it. You’re going to divide it into 16 pieces, which you can easily do simply by dividing it in half, then in half again, etc. You can eyeball the process; or actually use a scale to make perfectly-sized rolls.

The entire piece of dough weighs 812g; don’t fret if yours doesn’t weigh exactly 812g, OK? This isn’t rocket science.

img_3428.JPG

Divided in half: 405g. Remember what I just said – this isn’t rocket science. 405g is close enough.

img_3361.JPG

Continue along the same lines till you’ve made 16 pieces of dough.

img_3365.JPG

Next, shape each piece into a ball. Let’s do one at a time. First, flatten the piece of dough a bit by pulling on the edges, smoothing its top.

img_3362.JPG

Turn it over, and gather the underside into a knot; this smoothes the top side further.

img_3364.JPG

Knot-side down, gently roll the dough in circles beneath your curled fingers. No need to put pressure on it; just imagine the way you roll dice, cupping them in your hands and shaking. Same idea; the ball of dough will move freely under your hands.

img_3430.JPG

Ah – lovely. Sixteen round dough balls.

img_3431.JPG

Lightly grease two 8” round cake pans, spacing eight balls in each. Can you use 9” round cake pans, or a 9” x 13” pan? Sure; the buns just won’t nestle together as closely, so their sides will be a bit more baked. And they’ll be a bit shorter in stature.

img_3432.JPG

Cover the pans, and allow the buns to rise till they’re crowded against one another and quite puffy, about 60 to 90 minutes.

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

img_3434.JPG

Now THAT’S what I call buxom buns!

img_3436.JPG

Bake the buns for 22 to 24 minutes…

img_3437.JPG

…until they’re golden brown on top and the edges of the center bun spring back lightly when you touch it. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of the center bun should register at least 190°F.

img_3438.JPG

Remove the buns from the oven, and immediately brush with melted butter. You’ll need 1 to 2 tablespoons melted butter, depending on how generous you are. Trust me; this is a time for generosity.

img_3449.JPG

You may think that you’ve used too heavy a hand with the butter…

img_3452.JPG

…but it sinks in, leaving a really pretty, satiny sheen. This is why we call these pull-apart buns; they come apart very easily.

img_3455.JPG

Split open; add more butter. WOW.

img_3486.JPG

How about cloverleafs? Divide the original piece of dough into 36 small pieces. You don’t really need to try to make these 36 pieces all the same size; just divide the dough into 12 balls, then each of those balls into three pieces.

Nestle in the wells of a lightly greased standard muffin pan.

img_3488.JPG

Let rise till they’re puffing over the rims.

img_3491.JPG

Bake as directed for the regular rolls, brushing with butter when they’re done.

img_3500.JPG

Festive, huh? And so ’50s…

img_3514.JPG

So OK, I got a little carried away. But trust me, none of these had a chance to get stale. There’s just something about soft white bread that’s eternally compelling. Especially at Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Golden Pull-Apart Butter Buns.

P.S. I notice a lot of you have been asking about preparing these buns ahead. Here’s a couple of suggestions:

To make them a day or so ahead, prepare all the way through a partial bake (parbake). This means bake them, but not till they’re golden, only till they’re set.

How long? Not sure, in your oven. Just keep your eye on them, and when they’re just starting to brown a bit around the edges; and they feel set (not soft and liable to collapse) when you gently poke one, take them out. Cool completely, then wrap in plastic – right in the pan. Store at room temperature. Just before serving, bake in a preheated 350°F oven till golden; it’ll take maybe 10-15 minutes? Brush with butter, and serve.

To prepare more than a few days ahead, shape the buns and let them rise in the pan. Don’t let them over-rise; a bit less than usual would be good. Carefully tent risen rolls with plastic, and freeze. Once frozen, wrap more securely (but not tightly – a plastic bag is good).

The night before you want to serve them, place the pan of buns, still wrapped, in the fridge. Next day, remove from the fridge, and let them warm a bit as you preheat your oven. Bake as directed; they’ll probably need a few more minutes than the recipe says. Brush with butter, and serve.

Happy Thanksgiving, one and all!

comments

1. Amanda

Those are gorgeous! Saving the recipe to try ;) I have one similar to the second half of your post where you roll three balls and put them together in muffin tins. Yum

2. Sandy Heinz

Will I be able to make these rolls without a bread machine or mixer?

Thanks,
    Sandy Yes, you can make these by hand. These are the dirctions from another recipe, but they really list the strps nicely. MIXING
    Combine water, milk and the fat of your choice in a saucepan and heat until lukewarm. Pour into mixing bowl, add honey, salt, yeast, and 2 cups King Arthur Flour.Beat 2 minutes with an electric beater or vigorously by hand. Then, stirring by hand, gradually add enough flour until the dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.

KNEADING
    Put dough on a lightly floured board. To knead, fold the far edge of the dough back over on itself toward you. Press into the dough, pushing away with the heels of your hands. Repeat in a continuous rhythm. (After each push, turn the dough about one-fourth of the way around.)
    While kneading, sprinkle only enough flour on the board to avoid sticking. Knead for 7 or 8 minutes, or until dough is smooth, elastic and doesn’t stick to the board.

BEFORE RISING
    Round the dough into a smooth ball. Place it in a lightly greased bowl, turning over to grease the entire surface. Cover the bowl with a towel and set in a warm place. Let dough rise 1-1 1/2 hours or until double in bulk.

Have fun with it! Mary @ KAF

You can absolutely eliminate the sugar, Lucinda – it’s simply there for flavor. Enjoy – PJH

2. Lisa

If sugar is omitted what will the yeast feed on? I thought sugar is a must for bread recipes using yeast.

Lisa, yeast is perfectly capable of turning the starch in flour into the sugar it needs; added sugar is simply “fast food,” a quick meal for the yeast as it gets going. It gives it a boost, but strictly speaking, isn’t necessary; there are many recipes (e.g., baguettes, pizza crust) that don’t include sugar. Hope this helps – PJH

3. Kathleen

I will be one of the first to watch the video for rolling nice round balls of dough because I do have some trouble with that part of it but I was wondering why Baker’s Special Dry Milk and fresh milk? The extra boost from both milks helps to ensure a nice tender roll. Mary@ KAF

4. Lish

Awesome! I was trying to find a recipe for rolls for Thanksgiving. My mother still does all the turkey, stuffing, gravy and sides, and the only thing she will let me make is bread or rolls. So you have now given me exactly the recipe I needed. Can’t wait!

5. Pat

Now I am torn…which recipe to use…Potatoes Rolls (from 2009 Holiday Baking sheet),
    Soft White Dinner Rolls (from the KA Web), these Golden Pull-Apart Butter Buns. So many decisions, so little time.

What is the best way to freeze rolls? I think I would like to make the rolls, put into baking pans, wrap well and freeze…take out the night before, place in refrigerator and bake in the morning. Is that a viable plan?

I am going to make the cloverleaf rolls just the way Mom did. This is what Thanksgiving is about…old traditions, new traditions and families.

Pat Your plan should work beautifully! Enjoy those old traditions, add some new and have fun! Mary @ KAF

6. Elise

These look great, and I plan to make them for Thanksgiving. Can I do the first rise, form them, put them in the pans and refridgerate to hold until later in the day – then take them out for the second rise and bake?

Thanks for ALL your receipes, I love them all! That should work! have fun with them! Mary @ KAF

7. ,br />Dorothy

We’re celebrating Thanksgiving on Saturday (early, but it’s the best time for out-of-towners), and I “thought” I had my menu down…until I saw this blog post. My original plan was to make the KAF Guaranteed “Soft White Dinner Rolls,” which I’ve made before and really liked. How does this recipe compare in the taste & texture dept.? They seem very similar, and I’m tempted to switch up and go for this recipe. The recipes results in similar rolls. Nice , soft delicious rolls. Try them both and see which one you prefer. It ‘s like peanut butter differnt brands have slightly different tastes. I may prefer one but you prefer another. Viva la difference! Mary @ KAF

8. Tim

yay! they look yummy and these are always one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving dinner. Any advice on what to do if they need to be made ahead of time and then re-heated (or finish baking) later? *Nobody* is allowed in my grandma’s kitchen on Thanksgiving day itself…

9. Madeline

I make some rolls that are very similiar to these, but to bump up the “white bread” image, I toss in some ground flax seed and toasted wheat germ. I am going to have to try this recipe soon for a change! Thanks for all the great reasons to bake (as if one needs a reason or an excuse!).

10. Kelly

These rolls look wonderful. I have having 25 people for Thanksgiving, do I’ll need to at least double this recipe. Do they freeze well? I’d like to do ahead of time – the oven will be too busy for me to bake that many rolls real time. Thanks for the great photos, you make baking so much easier for us “new bread breakers” :) Yes , they do freeze well. mary @ KAF

11. Jamie AZ

Mmm… rolls! We’ll be adding these to our holiday menu! On a side note, my kids LOVE King’s Hawaiian Rolls and these look like the same texture/softness, but the KHRs have a sweetness to them. Do you think that’s as simple to achieve as adding a bit more of honey or sugar to these rolls? Thanks!! Yes, that should work. Mary @ KAF

12. Lauren

This looks great but I’m cooking for only 2! I’m planning to halve this recipe – is there any reason that this wouldn’t work? That should work. Have fun with it. Mary@ KAF

13. gayu

Can these be kneaded by hand – I only have a hand-held mixer and a small food processor. Will the food processor do the job? . They absolutely can be kneaded by hand. I think this would preferable to the food processor. Mary @ KAF .

14. Celeste

I learned a nifty shaping technique for rolls..press the dough into a rectangle, cut into long strips, stack the strips, and cut into 1-wide bundles. Put the bundles on their sides in a muffin tin; they’ll rise into round buns with layers. Pretty cool.

15. Bill C.

Is there any benefit to first rising the dough outside the Zo as opposed to in it? Not really. The Zo keeps it at a nice constant temperature. Mary @ KAF

16. Melinda

WWKAFD? We’re driving six hours to Thanksgiving on Thursday morning. I’d love to bring these along! Should I (1) bake entirely on Wednesday, (2) freeze rolls and then put in car defrost along the way and then bake at our destination on Thursday, or (3) find some other recipe? I would bake the day before , then reheat. If you were defrosting them in the car and delays happened, they might over rise. Have fun with them. Mary@KAF

17. Anne

Well, my beautiful daughter-in-law has taken over the Thanksgiving tradition, and she’ll be entertaining twelve of us this year. In our new tradition, I’m always asked to bring the bread. This went right straight into my recipe box, and I guess I’ll be baking two batches. Do they freeze well? Yes they do. Mary @ KAF

18. jane

My parents house is freeezing – any tips for how to get bread to rise in those conditions? Dough will still rise at cool temperature, just give it plenty of time. If you need to speed it up put a rack over a bowl of hot water. Put the bowl of dough on the rack and cover the whole thing with a large bowl, or plastic wrap and a towel. Mary @ KAF

19. Linda

Hmm, looks great with a minor issue. I can’t have dairy at the thanksgiving table (kosher)… so, if I use water instead of milk and milk powder, do i need to adjust anything else to bump up the protien… wonder if changing to the bread flour will be enough of a protein boost?

Thoughts? I would just omit the milk and powder, use water for the amount of milk and not change the flour. mary @ KAF </strong.

20. Debby

Oh, these are on my weekend baking list. I just spent money on KAF, and ordered more of your ingredients for improving bread baking. I just make Pioneer Woman’s buttered rosemary rolls in a cast iron skillet– using KAF wheat flour and vital wheat gluten. These are a great way to make white bread… some butter, sea salt and fresh rosemary, and these are going to be a hit! I just love this blog.

Love the addition of rosemary, Debby – I’ll definitely have to try that! PJH

21. BakingSpiritsBright

I had asked for a recipe for crescents that you sent me a link for. I was all set to make these but now I may have to make two kinds of rolls for Thanksgiving. I have an electric oven and I find that if it is cool in the kitchen I put things to rise in the oven with the oven off but the light on. The light gives off just enough warmth to help with rising.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

22. June

I will definitely be trying this recipe- I wish I had seen it at 5am this morning when I was stirring up the dough for rolls for our pre-turkey day dinner at work today. I made my standard roll recipe dough into crescent rolls (very easy to shape- my first try) and I think your recipe would work even better. I like the idea of the potato flour, and I just happen to have some in my flour cache! I love reading the blog here- I always get inspired and learn something. I envy y’all your jobs!

June

Hope those rolls ou made this morning came delicious, June – love the idea of pre-Thanksgiving at work. Our Web team usually spends the day before Thanksgiving here baking pies or rolls in the test kitchen – but maybe we should throw a turkey in the oven too, eh? :) PJH

23. Stewart

I’m definitely going to make these. I’m in a similar situation as Melinda.

How would you recommend reheating if I bake the day before? Covered at 300 or something like that?

Or, could I par-bake and finish at the destination?

Stewart, tent with foil and reheat for about 5-7 minutes in a 350°F oven. Or better yet, as you say, parbake till set but not golden; and finish baking the next day. PJH

24. June

PJ- they were tasty, although I mis-calculated my timing and they were ready an hour too early- we were trying to think of a clever name for dough that rises too swiftly ( I work in a medical clinic) – so far we decided it was “premature tumescence”- :-) We have our turkey day 2 weeks in advance of the REAL day since we don’t want everyone to be totally burned out on turkey and ‘punkin’ pie!
    PJ, you guys rock!

Uh…. gee, June, you guys have some extra time on your hands there at the clinic? Premature tumescence, huh? I can’t think of anything better! :) PJH

25. Allie

I can’t wait to try these. I find that any bread thing I make using my machine for dough comes out really well if it involves potato flakes for some reason. And I have finally found the perfect place to let bread rise–the top of my tropical fish tank with the light on. ;)

Well, now, THAT’S using your baking imagination, Allie! I’ll have to try that with my fish sometime… PJH

26. Michael

Got weights, preferably in metric, for these for those of us who prefer to bake by weight :) Is this recipe in the main site too or just the blog?

Michael, weights are listed in the recipe itself, which links from the blog – just toggle at the top of the ingredients, switching from “vlume” to “weight.” Sorry, we only had two spots, so no room for metric… PJH

27. Jackie Julty

Can you also use the buttermilk powder that KAF flour sells instead of the nonfat powdered milk?

You can indeed, Jackie – it’ll give the buns a slightly different flavor, and won’t help with the rise, but will add tenderness. In other words, it won’t do the same thing as the Baker’s Special dry milk, but it’ll do other beneficial things… It’s all good. PJH

28. Taneasha

I just volunteered to bring the rolls to thanksgiving dinner this year, so this was perfect timing! Those rolls look amazing.

On a different note, I noticed in one of the pictures that your paddle attachment seems to be shiny. Is that a stainless stell paddle attachment for your Kit… I mean “stand mixer”? If so, perhaps you could be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Taneasha, those shiny new paddles come with the new KitchenAids (HA – said it!). I just got a 6-quart/wide bowl, not sure of the model – “Power” something… the attachments are shiny, but not sure if they’re ss, or just shiny aluminum. Anyway, your eyes weren’t deceiving you! PJH

29. Beth @ 990 Square

I NEED those butter buns. But noooo way am I waiting for Thanksgiving! I just can’t get over how perfect they look!

Beth, these are the friendliest rolls – they’re just dying to please you by rising perfectly, browning perfectly…. I really, REALLY like this recipe. It’s pretty foolproof, and YUMMY. As I said – definitely my go-to roll. PJH

30. Bob

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them. I just got a stand mixer and have used it a couple times for bread making, but I’m not sure I have it down yet. When the dough is being kneaded with the dough hook, should it be stuck to the hook? The speed on my mixer goes from 1-12. Dumb question – but is “medium” around 6? Should I set the mixer speed until the dough slaps the sides of the bowl as it’s is spinning? Just not sure at what point I’m kneading the dough and at what point it’s just twirling around the dough hook not doing anything.

Thanks.

Hi Bob – If there’s an ULTRA-slow first speed, for mixing things, then I’d go up 2 clicks from that. If the first speed is just regularly slow, then click up to the next one. At any rate, you should be on the low end of the middle – maybe speed 3 or 4? The dough slapping the bowl is too fast. And if it sticks on the hook, it might be a bit too stiff; try making your dough a bit “looser” (more liquid). You can always add more flour if necessary. Keep experimenting – you’ll soon find what consistency dough works best. Enjoy – PJH

31. Ginger

I made these rolls last night and my husband loved them. For years he’s been asking for rolls “like his Grandmother made.” Since I never had said rolls, I’m going by his description. He said there were close except her’s had a more yeasty taste. I know her rolls were not sourdough. I’ve tried everything I can think of except cake yeast. Do you think cake yeast will give rolls a more yeasty taste? I come across it every once in a while, next time I see it I’m going to buy some and give it a try.

Yes, I think cake yeast would give them more yeasty flavor. OR try doubling the amount of instant, and just going through the whole process very quickly – they’ll rise like crazy. Worth a try – more yeast, more yeast flavor… PJH

1. Cecilia Naughton

For a slightly more yeasty taste, use a starter dough. Take a cup of water, a quarter teaspoon yeast, and enough flour to make a very stiff dough. Cover with plastic, and let sit overnight. Add to the roll dough along with the liquid ingredients and break it up well. Proceed as usual with the recipe. It will rise faster. and the texture will be improved.

Cecilia, yeast breads are usually very happy to “start with a starter” – as you say, it helps the yeast get going, and adds flavor via organic acids and alcohol, as well. Thanks for sharing this tip here – much appreciated! PJH

32. D. M.

I just delivered 90 rolls, with butter and homemade peach and apple butter, to a homeless shelter yesterday for their dinner last night — it was our church’s turn. And today I read your blog. Mine were good, but yours sound great!

May I share a little trick my son-in-law taught me? When kneading bread by hand, as it starts to feel less sticky, take a little pinch of dough and stretch it out while holding it up to a sunny window or a light. If it becomes translucent before it develops any holes in the dough, you’ve kneaded long enough. This really works!

33. Suzie

Is there a way to substitute liquid milk for dry and potatoes or potato water for instant flakes in this recipe, and what would be the difference in final roll? I have a time-tested family recipe used and passed on to each generation but it has liquid milk, no potato, and I always added extra yeast. Of course done in cloverleaf, there is just nothing else acceptable–tradition. I would like to have another great roll recipe and this one looks good, want to know though about liquid rather than dry ingredients.

You may omit the dry milk and replace all of the water with fresh milk that has been scalded and cooled. Fresh boiled potatoes will vary in moisture, determining the exact substitution will need a bit of experimentation. Frank @ KAF.

34. Tink

Thanks to you and Bob for stand mixer information. I have used a mixer for some time, but am never sure how liquid the dough should. I have never made rolls before. I look forward to trying butter buns.

35. Deb

Hey PJH!
    These rolls are making my mouth water just looking at them! I don’t have the 8 cup measure, but I do have your 2 qt. and 6 qt. rising buckets. Would these work? Which one would you recommend? And how do I determine when the dough is doubled? Could you give me a close guess? I more than likely will use the 6 qt. as i think the 2 qt. would not be big enough. Thanks!!

Either bucket will work. To make the doubling easier to see, place a piece of masking tape vertically uip the side of the vessel. Mark the level of the dough on the tape with a pencil. Then measure up an equal amount. That is the “doubled” line. Frank @ KAF.

36. Angie

Why do you use the stretching method to shape the roll instead of rolling it in your hand, which is what I normally do? The rolls look delicious.

Either method will work. Use the one you a most comfortable with. Frank @ KAF.

37. Nancy

Hi, Just wanted to tell you that my grandma or my aunt taught me to make these rolls by greasing your hands and pinching off a tennis ball, or so, size piece of dough. Then you kind of flatten it in your hand and using one thumb, go to the middle of the dough. With the other hand, start rolling the edges of the dough to the middle, using that thumb to kind of punch the dough into the middle. You are basically kneading the dough in your hand. Continue doing this all around the round until you have a nice ball in your hand. Place seam side down on the pan and let rise.

You’re right this is really hard to describe with just words and trying to visualize it!!!

38. Linda Traylor

Have wanted this sort of perfect soft roll recipe for a very long time and was thrilled to find it in my email this morning. My question: I have both the potato flour and the Baker’s Special dry milk powder; but both are at least 5 years old. They have been stored in an airtight glass jar. Are they still OK or do I finally need to order some more? Or should I try them and see what happens and then order more to replace that which I have?

If both of these ingredients are still free flowing, then yes, use them. Frank @ KAF.

39. Jackie

As another blogger said–just in time. My brother has been doing dinner for past several years after my mother “retired” from cooking. He’s given me the task of rolls. I’m definitely going to make these, but I’ll have to try them out on my husband this weekend. I have a new Zo which I haven’t plugged in yet (lost the directions–just found them). Should I use it through the first rise or just for mixing the dough? Also, the bottom of you 9″ pan looks corrugated. Is that an optical illusion?

You are gonna love the Zo. Use it for the mix and the first rise. The dough will come out ready to shape. That is no illusion. This is our new 9″ cake pan, made by USA Pans in Crescent Township, PA. They have corrugation for more efficient heat transfer. Frank @ KAF.

40. Mary T.

We have always had rolls similar to your Golden Pull-Aparts, with one difference: Instead of the 4Tbsp. butter melted and poured over baked rolls, we makw a powdered sugar, rum and cream frosting to spread over baked rolls. Can this change work for your recipe?

That sounds good to me mary. I’d give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

41. Karen

Oh boy… Looks like I need to try these! I just made my first rolls the other day using my Master Dough (Artisan Bread in 5) & they turned out delish. These, however, look so soft and yummy. Perfect for so many meals! I think I might just have to “test” this recipe out before turkey day!! Thanks for sharing with us!

42. sharon q

You explained it so clearly, so beautifully. Now, that’s the way recipes should be written. It’s like you read everyone’s minds or anticipated their questions.
    You’re absolutely right, shaping dough into tiny balls is so miserable to explain. I’ve been frustrated more than once trying to create perfect shapes.
    King Arthur Flour – you’re the best! Too bad you’re in Vermont, so far from Montreal, but I just might want to drop by when the weather gets warmer. Molly of KAF also always comments on my blog; that’s very encouraging of her!

43. Ruth

I can’t wait to try these rolls. I am so crazy about this website and the recipes. I have sourdough bread on it’s final rise this very moment.

44. Lani

Can mashed potatoes be subbed for the potato flakes?

yes, you could make this alteration. But be aware that fresh boiled potatoes will have a variable moisture content. You will need to experiment to determine the correct amount. Frank @ KAF.

45. Gert Martel

My mother lived in upstate NY where she was famous for her dinner rolls. Your recipe is very similar, except she always added 2 eggs which gives them a nice golden color. My mother made these rolls until she was 93 years old. The holidays wouldn’t be the same without them. My children and grandchildren always request them and I love making them.

46. Elizabeth

I baked rolls yesterday using the pan roll recipe you used in July ’09 with the kids in the kitchen. The recipe isn’t listed in “recipes” … After going through the Archives I finally found it “Monkeying around Bread”… will you please add this to recipe listing..? Thanks.. Of course I omitted the cinnamon/sugar…. makes a great 8″ pan of rolls for two or three … :-)

Thanks for the info. – should be all set now. Glad you enjoy them! PJH

47. Joe Beene

I heat a cup of water in the microwave for three minutes, then put the uncovered dough, in a lightly oiled pan, in the microwave, leaving the cup of water there, to let it rise. It rises much more quickly this way than on a counter top. Is there a down side to this rising process? It always seems to work for me.

It works for me as well Joe. My kitchen hovers around 50 degree in the winter, so this method is a “can’t live without” trick. Frank @ KAF.

48. Lee

These look lovely. Very buxom. ;) I do have to put in a plug for the Sweet Potato Sandwich Rolls too. Last night I made them into pull-apart rolls like these pictured here and they were scrumptious! The kids begged to have them for breakfast the next day, too. I’m thinking they’d make great mini turkey sandwiches with a little cranberry sauce. Which reminds me – you all have a wonderful stuffing-flavored sandwich loaf that would be great to showcase sometime soon too! :) :)

Lee, as one of our other readers recently commented: So many recipes, so little time… I think the sweet potato rolls AND the butter buns, in one bread basket, would look gorgeous. And the sandwich loaf is definitely great for turkey sandwiches, like the SP rolls. I personally love just plain turkey, salt, coarse black pepper, and LOTS of mayo on a soft white dinner roll. Talk about childhood memories – it’s what my grandmother would always send home with us in the car, the day after Thanksgiving. PJH

49. Jackie

Can I use instant potato flakes instead of potato flour? Would I need to put them in the food processor or blender to cut them finer?

Jackie, go ahead and use them in the amount indicated in the recipe. No need to put them through the food processor first. PJH

50. Betty

I just made your Soft White Dinner rolls and loved the “yeasty” taste they had, similar to what my grandmother use to make. (I used your instand yeast, and powdered milk). They were a little dense, although that was not a bad thing, and I wondered if these golden pull-apart butter buns were lighter…also do they have that nice yeast taste the soft white dinner rolls have? Thank you. I am making rolls for 30 people for Thanksgiving and appreciate all the feedback you have on your web site.

The two recipes are very similar, Betty. I believe the pull-apart buns might be a tad less dense/moist, though a lot really depends on how long you let them rise, and especially on how long you let them bake. I can’t comment on whether they have the same yeasty taste, as that’s a matter of your palate vs. mine; neither one tastes particularly yeasty to me… Why not do a practice run with the pull-apart buns this weekend, then decide which recipe to make for Thanksgiving? Good luck – PJH

51. billi

These look absolutely ‘to die for!’ Wanted to tell ‘sharon q’ that if she thinks Montreal to VT is far, she should try from OR to VT! I think you need to establish a second KA store in the Pacific Northwest somewhere (hopefully not IN a huge town, but rather like your storein Norwich — please?

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with you all last month — I decided I just couldn’t come to the NE without stopping by, though I could mostly ‘drool,’ as the car was quite loaded already with 3 of us and luggage for 5 weeks! Thanks for a great memory!

And thanks for all the great recipes you share with all of us too!
    HI Billi,
    Glad you got a chance to visit us. I spent 10 days in Oregon in 1989 as a college graduation gift, and it was just beautiful. I still remember the brunch at the Columbia River Gorge Inn very fondly. Come again soon! ~ MaryJane

52. Sue E. Conrad

Oh, P.J., you’ve done it once again……these rolls look oh-so-yummy!!! Question – could the dough be shaped into crescent rolls (I’m thinking yes)? I’d love to make these for T-day (we’re doing our annual trip to Daytona Beach to share the day with relatives of my husband), BUT I’m the pie baker for the group – apple, pumpkin, pecan, and most importantly, mincemeat. Fortunately, one of our Vermont daughters found a supply of Grandmother’s mincemeat in a little speciality store in Waterbury…….YAY!!! Should be arriving in FL on Monday, then I can start the holiday baking ball rolling.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of the KAF folks.

Sure, Sue – the dough is very nice wot work with, so shape it however you like. Glad your daughter was able to find Grandmother’s for you – we still have it in our supermarket here. I’ve never tried it, but everyone raves over it – so maybe this will be the year! Thanks for your good wishes, and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too – may your pie crusts all be flakey! PJH

53. AmandaLP

Yum! This was really good! Of course, I have crappy measuring spoons and didnt realize I was using a half teaspoon measure, so my ingredients were mixed weirdly. I loved how my KA mixer kneaded the dough. I overproofed the rolls (about two hours instead of 60-90 minutes), so they only took 30 minutes to rise the second time.

Not quite “traditional,” though traditional at my grandmothers house were the parcooked rolls from the supermarket, but very close. Yum!

54. Alyce

Can I freeze the rolls prior to baking, take them out the night before and put in the frig, and let them rise in the afternoon and then bake right before T-day dinner? Thanks for such a great blog.

Sure, Alyce – please read the P.S. at the end of the blog, it tells all about freezing/thawing baking. Enjoy – PJH

55. Carol Menier

I found it interesting that you knead this dough for 7 minutes in a big mixer (Kitchen Aid, I assume) and yet the direction for kneading BY HAND that someone requested also say to knead for 7 to 8 minutes. Wouldn’t this be totally OVERKNEADED if you did it for 7 minutes in a heavy-duty mixer? I often have problems with my breads not having good oven spring or seeming to “deflate” or “sink” a bit after I take them out of the oven. I’ve called your test kitchen about this a couple different times, and they always tell me a likely problem is that I’m overkneading the dough in my Kitchen Aid and doing something to the gluten and I should only knead for about 3 or 4 minutes tops. Can you please comment? This just seems like such a long time to knead if you’re using a big mixer.

I LOVE your blog, have learned so much, and gotten wonderful recipes! Thanks so much!

Carol, I knead at very slow speed in the KitchenAid; and I think if I were to knead by hand, it would be for about 10 minutes. You could probably knead a much shorter time at medium speed. You can also barely knead at all, and let the dough rise longer; gluten develops all on its own as dough ferments. There are just so many different ways to approach the kneading/rising process, it’s best to figure our your own favorite method. To me, the lack of oven spring and sinking you mention sounds like too much rising, rather than too much kneading. Try putting the bread in the oven when it’s about 3/4 of the way to where you think it should be, and see if that helps, OK? PJH

56. Leslie

Do you have to use potato flour? Can you make these without the potato flour?

Sure, Leslie, you can use instant potato flakes as indicated; or just leave them out. The rolls won’t be as moist/tender, but will still be good. Another option is using potato water (water in which potatoes have been boiled, cooled to lukewarm) for the water in the recipe. PJH

57. Kara

We make rolls very similar to these every year for Thanksgiving. Actually we have made them every year I can remember. We are not allowed to show up without them!! I’m glad others can enjoy such fabulous rolls too now!

58. Theresa, Homosassa, FL

These make my mouth water, when we were up north in PA and the house seemed chilly, I sometimes resorted to raising my bread on a heatpad set on low. Surprising what we do to make a good yeast bread!!
    May all your homes be filled with family and good food, Blessing to all!!!
    Can’t bake without KA!

59. Suzanne

Can this recipe be used in a breadmaker?

Sure, Suzanne – use the dough setting to make the dough through its first rise – then take it out and shape and bake as directed. Enjoy – PJH

60. Jana

Mmm just printed off this recipe for the test run before T day… where are the sweet potato buns recipe they sound perfect to mix and match with these. Thanks everyone for the great ideas and KAF for the fav bread recipes!

Here you go, Jana, Sweet Potato Sandwich Rolls, perfect for turkey sandwiches. Enjoy – PJH

61. Marilyn Casey

These were good rolls. I should have baked them longer, past the 24 minutes. Since I melted too much butter, I had melted butter to brush on the inside. Could I use KAF White Whole Wheat flour for half of the white flour? Thank you.

Sure, half white wheat is a great substitute, and won’t lower their fluffiness quotient substantially – go for it, Marilyn! PJH

62. Julie

I just made these as a “practice” for Thanksgiving (I usually don’t try untested recipes in front of guests). I thought they needed a bit more salt. For the real day, I’ll add more.

Salt is very personal, Julie – we all like different levels. Additional salt in the dough may slow its rise, however, so keep that in mind for your next batch. Enjoy – PJH

63. BakingSpiritsBright

I am making two batches of these as we speak. I have one in my bread machine on dough cycle and the other I made using my stand mixer and dough hook, that batch is now in the oven with the oven off but the light on in a large mixing bowl covered with a tea towel. I didn’t think my bread machine could handle a double batch. So I am curiouse to see what differences there may be as we go through the rise stage. When I first mixed everything together it seemed a little stiff and dry but by the time it finished kneading it looked and felt great. I plan on making several different shapes and I plan on freezing some for turkey day. I can’t wait!

64. P.B.

Can you substitute non-dairy coffee creamer for the dry milk powder? Also, these look like they would make really good hot dog or hamburger buns (shaped a little larger, of course).

They would definitely make good hotdog or hamburg buns. I’m not sure about the non-dairy creamer – as with anything kinda off the wall, give it a shot and let us know – won’t give you the rise the Baker’s Special does, but it’ll probably add some tenderness. PJH

65. Anna Mae

Thank you so much for this recipe!!! I made these rolls today as a test for Thanksgiving. Well, talk about a thumbs up from my family. Wow!
    And I see by another posting, I can do most of the work the day before, refridgerate, then do the last rising on Turkey day and bake. How wonderful is that?
    Thanks again,
    AM

Glad they were a hit with your family, Anna Mae – PJH

66. sophia

Hi,
    these sound so great, i want to try it out but is the potato flour called for same thing as potato starch? thanks!

Not the same, Sophia, but go ahead and substitute – it should work out just fine. Enjoy – PJH

67. Lauren

Just made these last night for my husband (I halved the recipe). They were outstanding! The texture was perfect. Thanks for another great recipe!

68. GiovanniSr

First a comment-made these yesterday afternoon-they’re outrageous!! even more interesting with a thin slice of prosciutto Di Palma, a smear of French mustard plus a glass of Barolo–that was dinner!!!
    Second, a few questions-what would you quess the highest temperature you would be able to safely raise dough in? (I have several ovens) I also have used the

Giovanni, you really don’t want to let dough rise in a hot place. it prefers room temperature or, at best, warm – optimum is probably 76°F-78°F. If you HAVE to put the dough somewhere hot, understand it’ll rise quickly, and smell/taste quite yeasty, almost unpleasantly so. I wouldn’t go over 100°F, certainly… PJH

69. Carol

I was so exceited to try this recipe and it failed me. There are very few from this site that do. I used all fresh ingredients. I think my issue is that there was not enough water and it was not hot enough. In the past when I mix all the dry ingredients including the yeast I need to use pretty warm water/milk. I used the suggestion that you use very warm water and add it to the milk. I think this was my downfall. I do not think the liquid was warm enough. The rolls rose very little. I froze them to bake later and when I did this the rolls deflated. Hum? I went back to my old standby recipe which is similar to this one but I used very warm water and I baked the rolls first and froze them. Jus thought you should know.

70. Sara in SE MI

I tried these out last night. Yum. Kids loved them and 2 pans didn’t last very long. I thought my dough was drier than what your photos showed but it worked up very well. I feel sorry for the poor folks who still buy the brown and serve rolls. They don’t know what they are missing and these are so easy too. Grandma would be proud!

Sara

71. Barb

Made these yesterday as a test run. The dough was a little dry so I added about another ounce or so of water. Probably b/c I dipped the measuring cup & forgot to fluff up the canister. There are only 2 left & the kids are fighting over them, so these will on the Thanksgiving table. I like the prebake option & will do that. Mine seem to be a little bigger than yours, as they touched each other in the pan even before rising, but they rose nicely & were yummy.
    FYI, I have the new spiral dough hook on my mixer, and I find that it does the kneading on some breads a minute or two less than the traditional C hook. I never go over speed 2 on it. Do you find the spiral works a little faster?
    I don’t have any experience with a spiral just the C hook, but make sure you are not over mixing the dough. Molly @ KAF

72. Ruth Shirk

I just wanted to say what an outstanding job the photographer did with this photo shoot.
    Hi Ruth,
    PJ takes her own photos, and our beloved Brenda takes the shots for the recipes. Glad you enjoy them. ~ MaryJane

Thanks, Ruth – just a regular little Canon pocket digital camera, and a table set in the front hallway under a window. This time of year it’s a challenge – only get about 2 hours of partial sun a day, so I have to time things just right! PJH

73. Suzanne

I made these rolls today and I thought, “should I halve the recipe since it’s just the four of us?” But I didn’t and am so glad! These are THE BEST rolls I have ever had. Better than any restaurant, better than any bakery. I asked my girls if I should make them for Thanksgiving and my oldest said, “you should make them every day.” Thank you so much for the recipe!!

Suzanne, you do my heart good! Thank you so much – now I wish I had one of those rolls right now… I’ll be making a double batch for Thanksgiving, to take to my brother-in-law’s, because my 89-year-old mother-in-law demands them! PJH

74. hector buenafama

How important is the potato flour ?. How about if I avoid it ?. Thanks.

DANNY

Danny, potato flour helps give these rolls their soft, moist texture. Sure, leave it out; they won’t be quite the same but still quite delicious. PJH

75. Linda

Help! Help me figure out what went wrong. I followed the instructions and the pictures almost exactly only adding a rest (autolyse) after mixing together all the ingredients. Did each step by hand, no mixer or breadmaker. Let first rise go to double (Took a long time, more than two hours). Collapsed and formed one batch of eight rolls by weight for round pan and another for extra large muffin tin, also by weight. Baked in 350 degree oven measured with an oven thermometer. It took 28 minutes for the rolls to look anywhere near golden. Took them out, generously brushed with butter and tasted. TASTELESS! Let them cool and warmed one up about six hours later in the morning. Still tasteless. Tried one cold after another six hours. A bit more taste.

I’d like to make these for Thanksgiving since my grandchildren won’t even taste anything that looks like whole wheat, I picked these for them.

Thanks for any thoughts.

So sorry this recipe did not work for you. It’s the perfect opportunity to problem solve with one of our bakers. Call our Baker’s Hotline at 802-649-3717 – we’ll be glad to trouble shoot this in time for the upcoming holiday! Irene @ KAF

76. Sheryl

I made these rolls as a test last night, and while they were very tasty, they were not as soft as I would have liked as I only have 9 inch round pans. I also thought they were a little small for my husband’s hungry family. Could I increase the recipe by 50% and make the same amount of rolls and bake in my 9 inch pans? I would rather not add more pans to my ever growing collection. Or do you think 50% might be too much? Thanks for a great web site! That should work. You would be using about 3 ounces per roll as opposed to PJ’s 2 ounces per roll.That would make a good sized roll and 8 should fit well in your 9″ pans. I wouldn’t increase the yeast, but leave that the same. Have fun with it! Mary @ KAF

77. Karen

If I parbake them today, (I didn’t read the whole blog carefully!) can I refrigerate them until Wednesday, or do I need to freeze them? Thanks!

For a 5 day “lay over” the freezer is the better option. Frank @ KAF.

78. Carol

I also just have 9″ pans and they are only about 1 1/2″ deep and your pans looked at least 2″……the rolls look like they rise quite high and don’t want them to go over the pan…..any suggestions??

Carol, I THINK 9″ x 1 1/2″ would be OK, since 8″ x 2″ is fine. If you’re worried, divide the dough in half, then take a bit from each half and bake it separately (cloverleafs?) in a muffin tin. PJH

79. Angie Archdeacon

I gave these rolls a trial run before Thanksgiving. They turned out wonderful. I did the par bake and could not believe how good they were even 2 days later. This is a keeper. Thanks to King Arthur and your Blog.

Our pleasure, Angie – PJH

80. MomintheKitchen

Can I say that this recipe and pictures put tears in my eyes? These are the rolls that the “good old cafeteria ladies” used to make! Oh for memories of the good old days- Thank you so much! I have been trying to get these right for years and you hit it right on the head-I was missing the dry milk!

Spatulas!
    Misty-aka “MomintheKitchen”

And let’s hear it for the “good old cafeteria ladies,” who generated so many of our food memories… Thanks for sharing, Misty – PJH

81. Bryan

Can the dough be made, shaped, and frozen several days early, then baked?

Yes, Bryan, let rise in the pan, then freeze. Let thaw in the fridge overnight before baking. Enjoy – PJH

82. Shiyiya

I have been informed that my grandmother wants me to be in charge of making bread things this year. (dinner rolls at thanksgiving are normally from the store – I’m only eighteen, so I haven’t really had a ‘this is what i bring to thanksgiving’ before.)

My response was: “Awesome! I have an excuse to make those rolls that were on the KAF blog!”

Have to remember to buy more flour first though…. Used up the last this morning making biscuits and didn’t have another bag like I thought I did!

Shiyiya, THANK YOU for carrying on the bread tradition for your family! And for using King Arthur Flour. I hope your rolls (and everything else about Thanksgiving) turn out great – PJH

83. Shiyiya

We only have soy milk in the house to cook with (though we do have dry milk powder so that’s no problem). Is there a point in subbing soy milk for the milk, or should I just use water instead?

Sure, sub soy milk – while it won’t help with the rise, it’ll add some fat, which will make the buns tender. PJH

84. Trish

P.J.: I tried a trial run of these yesterday with not such great results. I have been baking bread for about 3 years and I decided that I either under-kneaded (I use a 6 Qt. KA with the spiral dough hook) or the yeast was old. I took out new yeast I just bought and had in the fridge and tried again this morning. WOW! What a difference. They had doubled in about 40 minutes. Also regarding your method of making the rolls – I get it! Mine are rising in the pan right now and they look just like the picture. I really appreciated your step by step tutorial regarding shaping. I’ll update after I’ve baked. These will be served Thanksgiving day. Thanks as always – Trish

Trish, Im so glad the SECOND time was the charm… Supermarket yeast does tend to be not as fresh as it might be, so kudos to you for guessing correctly what the issue was. PJH

85. Laurie

Hmm, what did I do wrong? My rolls came out more like soft pretzels than like rolls. They were very dense and took a very long time to brown. The bottoms got very dark brown…but the tops just barely had a brown tint. The dough ball seemed to double on the first rise, but then the rolls did not plump up enough to really touch each other. The rise times were just about an hour each.
    Thanks!

Hi Laurie – Did you use exactly the ingredients in the recipe, including King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, and SAF instant yeast? If so, I’m kind of mystified; it sounds like the yeast was pooping out on you too early. Also sounds like you’ve got a problem with your oven, if the bottoms burned and the tops didn’t brown – unless you had them on the very bottom rack, which probably isn’t the best choice. For more info., please call our Baker’s Hotline, 802-649-3717 – they can help talk you through it. PJH

86. Debby

Well, I made these on Friday night and they turned out like hockey pucks…BUT, it’s my fault. I rushed the proofing (with SAF Yeast). I also think I dumped too much flour in…anyway, they were more like hard biscuits. Today, I used 3 cups of flour and patiently did the 90 minute proof. I also used your dough enhancers– dry milk powder, roll improver stuff (forgot the name) and a little bit of vital wheat gluten– 1 tsp. Whoa! They came out BIG and fluffy and buttery– these are the bomb! I wish I could attach my photos, but it’ll be on my blog in the next day or two. I usually make whole wheat rolls, but these are officially my Thanksgiving rolls. Thanks so much!

Debby, I’m glad you gave these another try – good show! They are indeed da bomb…. thanks for sharing your success. PJH

87. Dave

Just a note to say that I made my second batch today (which were greedily consumed by our friends at a pre-Thanksgiving feast).

I tried the suggestion about increasing by 50% since I have 9″ pans, and it worked well, the only issue being that the first rise took well over 90 minutes. I did keep the yeast at 2 teaspoons, so that might have been part of the issue. The second rise seemed normal, but I did it in a warm oven.

Regardless, they came out great and I’m looking forward to making them again on Thursday :)

88. William

I have been looking for a new role for Thanksgiving…. These pull apart Butter Buns look so good….. Good to read your blog and some of test problems. I have all new KAF ingredients to work with…. After baking for 25 years I have made most of the above mistakes already….. like old Yeast….My first use with KAF instant yeast will be put to the test.

Wish me well…..

Bill

Happy Baking! You’ll love the ease and time savings of instant yeast! Irene @ KAF

89. Alvara

I tried the recipe for the rolls tonight. When they had risen in the pans, I put them in the freezer until Wednesday night. I will bake them on Thanksgiving when the turkey is cooling. Thanks so much for the pictures with the directions. Mine actually look like yours and you explained how to shape the rolls great. It was easy.
    Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving. (and great turkey sandwiches the next day on the stuffing bread)

Alvara, you reminded me I need to make stuffing bread – thanks! And happy Thanksgiving – PJH

90. Phyllis Lauber

This is the second bread I’ve made in my life (after making the snuggle loaves) and it is so easy (I’ve already made two batches in one weekend)! Thank you for giving me the inspiration and recipes that really work. My question about parbaking is that those buxom buns of mine have become wrinkled and shrunken after they’ve cooled off. It that what they should look like or I did take them out too early?

Hopefully your par bake was for at least 75% or 3/4 of the time suggested in the recipe. Wrinkled crust is usually a shaping thing, so be sure you shape according to the recipe. Irene @ KAF

91. Phyllis Lauber

Thank you for the tip about shaping, this second batch my four year-old wanted to help so I think that would contribute to the wrinkles.

92. Susan

I’m going to try these–and am learning a lot from the comments so far! Will this recipe double easily?

Yup, Susan, so long as you have a big enough mixer and can work fairly fast; don’t want the first rolls over-rsiing while you’re still laboring over shaping the last ones. Or bake in shifts. I made 64 rolls (4 batches) concurrently today, using four bread machines, eight 8″ pans, and two ovens. But then, I have an entire test kitchen to play in – which was pretty deserted today, given people were cutting out early… Good luck, and Happy T-giving! PJH

93. Heather

I just noticed that in the actual recipe for these rolls (not the blog entry), there’s a little sidebar that gives a “baker’s tip” about using hot tap water and cold milk to make lukewarm liquid. While this sounds like a great idea, people should be aware that consuming water from the hot tap isn’t advised, especially if you’ve got pipes installed before the late 1980s — hot water can leach out lead from the pipe solder. To be safe, it’s almost always best to start with cold water and heat it on the stove instead. Hope you don’t mind the PSA, but since I (and probably many of your other readers) bake at home because it’s healthier than buying supermarket goods, I’m particularly sensitive to health concerns like this.

Thanks for your advice, Heather – PJH

94. Linda J

I made my first batch yesterday and followed the directions for make ahead. There are just the two of us here in the household so one pan headed to the freezer for our Christmas meal and I par-baked the other for out Thanksgiving meal. All I can say is yummers!! I had to use 9 inch round pans so mine didn’t quite get as buxom as the wonderful blog shots but close!

Technically it might be my 2nd batch though. I was not sure that I had added the yeast to the first one as there was just too much going on in the kitchen. I was almost done with the kneading but didn’t want to take the chance and tossed it. Could I have selvaged it in some way? I told my husband I was just out about 4 cups of flour and such so why risk failure?

Glad that second batch worked for you, Linda. You could have simply added the yeast in and kept kneading – if active dry, you would have dissolved it in a bit of water first. Instant you could have added right in. I’ve made dough, left out the yeast, left it to rise, come back 2 hours later and realized what I’ve done, THEN kneaded in the yeast – and they’ve come out fine. Now you know, for next time the kitchen becomes too hectic! PJH

95. sophia

O MYGOD! i just made these and tried one right now and it is SO good. first time making rolls like these. These taste better than store bought and i can taste the milky softness of the bread. its amazing. i am so proud of myself but mostly so thankful to you for posting this recipe with easy to do step pictures! I did use potato starch as you said it’s ok in sub for potato flour and it came out fantastic. Thank you so much again!

Congratulations, Sophia – Welcome to the wonderful world of “better than store bought”! I made a quadruple batch of these yesterday and brought them to a gathering of 28 friends/family – they were a big hit. This recipe is indeed a keeper… Thanks for sharing your success here. PJH

96. Susan

I decided to make two batches of the dough, one right after the next, and it worked out fine–I baked some of the rolls in a glass pie plate, some in a nonstick 8″ round cake pan, and most of them in a 9×13 pan (into which I stuffed some tin foil on one end, to encourage the rolls to smoosh up against each other more. The rolls in the 9×13 pan (which is made of thin metal) browned on the bottom but not on the top, but all of them tasted just superb! Thanks for a great addition to our table tonight.

Glad it all worked out for you, Susan – thanks for sharing your success! PJH

97. Christina

I made these rolls for Thanksgiving dinner tonight. They were wonderful!! I received rave reviews from my guests, and many wanted to take leftovers home!!I doubled the recipe and used a stand mixer to make the one really big doubled batch (however, the doubled recipe would not be too big to mix and knead by hand). Shaping the dough balls was not difficult: I divided the dough into 32 balls and shaped them quickly. Instead of using several 8″ round pans, I used two glass 9″x13″ and they both fit in the oven at the same time. The rolls were close enough together to nestle and become the pull-apart buns pictured above. Because there were two pans with many more rolls than the original recipe, the baking time was 25 minutes in my oven.These rolls were absolutely delicious and will be made over and over again!

98. Larry

The recipe is great and the blogs are even better. I increased the recipe by 50% because I have 9″ pans and par baked them for 18 minutes the night before Thanksgiving. I finished baking them at 350 for 15 minutes and the tops browned, but not the bottom or the sides. I used a heavy duty cake pan with 2′ sides, the temp of the center bun reached 165 before I lost access to the oven. Still tasted good. Do have any Ideas on what I can do to get the sides and bottom to brown properly? I am going to give it another whirl tomorrow.

Larry, maybe you should put them more towards the top of the oven. I bake mine in the middle at least (not towards the bottom), and often more towards the top. If you find them browning too quickly, just lay a sheet of foil across the top; that’ll slow the tops form browning while the bottom/sides catch up. PJH

99. Cheryl

These were fantastic! Two batches disappeared before Thanksgiving dinner was over. Thank you.

Thanks for letting us know about your success, Cheryl! PJH

100. Alan Kessler

I was the hit of three parties with the pull a part rolls. All I heard was more rolls and where did they come from. My first time to bake rolls.
    I used instant flavered mash potatoes – cheese. i made over 6 batches.

101. Sunny

I too, have always made the yeast rolls for every family occasion. I have used the same recipe since I was about 13 years old, but since I have joined the KAF family, I decided to try these. Other KAF recipes I have tried have been wonderful. I (and my family) was disappointed with these, as they came out heavy. Everything was fresh, measured correctly, and correct temperature. So I don’t know what happened. I will try again, to see if I can figure out what happened, but certainly not for a special occasion, until I know they will come out right.

Sunny, thanks for trying these, anyway. Not sure what could have happened; it’s hard to diagnose yeast issues from afar! Since you have a recipe you’ve been using for years, and you like it – probably best to stick with it for special occasions, as you say, and experiment with something new, like this, when it’s “just you” and your family. Better luck next time – PJH

102. Sharryn

I have two questions:
    -Should the rolls be cooled in the pan?
    -What about cooking rolls in glass pans? I don’t have a metal 8×8 or 9×9. I just reduce temperature 25°, but wonder if tests in your test kitchen indicate rolls turn out better in metal pans.

Maybe I’m going to have to turn in my third order in less than 3 months! LOL

Sharryn, I like to take the rolls out of the pan as quickly as possible – if they stay in the pan, they get soggy. Glass pans are fine – especially for soft rolls like these. We have stoneware pans we use quite a bit, and I’d imagine stoneware would be equivalent to glass in how it bakes. PJH

103. Lish

I made these early Wednesday morning, and reheated in foil on Thanksgiving. They were such a huge hit, and my grandparents loved them immensely! I had to use every ounce of willpower I had not to eat them in the car on the way to my parents house on Wednesday. They were still warm and smelled so good. My son kept asking what smelled so good in the car. I will absolutely make these again, for every holiday meal! Thanks for the great post!

Always good when we can bring the grandparents some pleasure, right, Lish? Thanks for sharing – PJH

104. WML

Didn’t want to try to make these for thanksgiving since I have never baked any bread successfully, so finally tried them today. Wow, these are great, thanks for the how-tos, tips and pictures. I used potato flakes, no dry milk powder, buns came out nice and soft. I now finally have a bread recipe that I can bake on any occasion. Just want to share my experience in case anyone is tempted to bake these but haven’t yet.

Thanks for the encouragement for other first-time yeast bakers – much appreciated! PJH

105. Bob

Is it feasable to add cheese to this recipe?
    I was thinking asiago would be a nice touch.

Sure, Bob, sounds good, give it a try – let us know how it goes- PJH

106. DeJay

I’m curious about use of the stand mixer. In the pics on blog, I see the beater bar is used to mix doughs, then dough hook is used to knead. Further, here for example, it says to knead at medium speed. I have a Kitchen Aid 6 quart bowl-lift mixer with the heavier 575w power. Manual says to always use dough hook for both mixing and kneading, and to never use higher than speed 2, to do otherwise is to risk equipment failure. Using the dough hook to do the mixing has been less than satisfactory. And speed 2 is slow.

So I guess at KAF you’re using professional mixers rather than the kind of stand mixer home users might have? I’m trying to learn to make bread, and not doing that well at it. I do want to use mixer for kneading as little strength in fingers and hands. I’m wondering how to translate your medium speed kneading for about 7 minutes into time for my mixer at speed 2! Even 7 minutes sounds like a lot to my green ears. Surely I wouldn’t knead for 14 minutes. LOL. Sure are a lot of obstacles, even when using recipes by folks trying to help. :-)
    We have found that gathering the dough into the shaggy ball with the paddle attachment works well. Switching to the dough hook to knead on the second speed for 5 minutes does a fine job developing the gluten. Be careful, because you can easily overknead dough with the mixer. As always, give us a call at the Baker’s Hotline if you have more questions. Molly @ KAF

Hi – I ramp my KitchenAid up to one notch above speed 2 – I find speed 2 just too slow. Yes, I’m risking “damage” to the machine, but I’ll take that risk – it only has a 1-year warranty anyway. I knead for 7 minutes, generally. And I would never mix with the dough hook; it would take forever. I mix with the beater, then switch to the dough hook. So, that’s what I do… If you choose to stick with speed 2 (and that would be what to do if you’re worried about voiding your warranty), then you may need to knead longer. You want to knead not so much by time, but by what the dough feels and looks like. Generally, a fully kneaded dough will be smooth, supple, and elastic. Good luck as you learn – you can do this! PJH

107. June

I have made this recipe three times. It always tastes good, but I have a question…

I’m in the Midwest where we have low humidity — DRY WINTER…
    The dough always takes longer to rise than advertised and doesn’t seem to ever rise as high as pictured.
    The rolls are a little to the heavy side — not quite as light and high as they look in your photos.

What can I do to achieve a better rise and a lighter roll? Should I mix a little differently (longer?)? Should I add a bit more yeast to the recipe? Try adding a bit more water, or using a bit less flour. In very dry conditions, the flour gets dry also, and needs more liquid. mary@KAF

108. Heather

Tried these for our Easter dinner. I used a brand new box of yeast and kneaded in the stand mixer for seven mintues. My dough didn’t rise nearly as well as those depicted here. I gave it close to 90 minutes both times. Did I overknead the dough? Any suggestions?

Heather – I am very sorry your rolls did not work out. If you dough was too stiff, it may not rise as well. The dough should have felt soft and somewhat sticky. A stiffer dough would be caused by too much flour added either while measuring or during the kneading time. Also, maybe your kitchen is cooler and the rising needed longer than the specified times. You may have overkneaded if the dough no longer looks somewhat smooth. Be sure to switch to the kneading hook from the paddle. Elisabeth @ KAF

109. Sonia

OMG! These cute buns are killing me. I don’t have stand mixer but I would definitely try it by my hands. Thanks for fantastic step-by-step pics, those are very helpful.
    btw, I really wish you could sold your items here in Australia. I have already asked for your Baker’s Catalogue and awaiting for it. I’m really thinking abt to buy your products once I have your catalogue on my hand. :) Thanks!

110. Patti

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! As I posted on the recipe review, these rolls, if there are any left over, have a way of disappearing in the middle of the night and, mysteriously, often the next morning, next to the “designated spot for baked goods” is the peanut butter jar. I wanted to “mix these up a bit” this weekend and add some fresh herbs and carmelized sweet onions. Any tips on adding these ingredients? I use the dough cycle of my bread machine with awesome results. Iwould add them when it beeps for the extra ingedients. Have fun with it. Mary@KAF

111. Patti

Mary, I just had to let you know how these rolls turned out with the added ingredients; um, the word I’m looking for, oh it’s on the tip of my tongue…oh yes, that’s it…AMAZING! I carmelized one medium roughly chopped sweet onion in approximately 2 Tbsp butter on the stove top for approximately 40 minutes at med/low – medium heat. Let cool completely. I chopped approximately 3 Tbsp of “fresh from my herb garden” rosemary. Added both of these at the “beep”, let continue to rise in the bread machine and then took the dough out and went from there to complete the rolls. I didn’t want the additions to overpower the flavor and the quantity was just right. Can’t wait to try some other variations of this “go to” recipe. Thanks!

112. Katrina Dodro

Hi very novice baker here.
    I tried making these last week, with horrid results. My dough in the stand mixer was hard, tough, and looked nothing like the dough in the blog. On a Kitchen Aid, which speed is “medium”? I set mine at 4.
    Also, I used rapid rise yeast, since I didn’t find instant yeast. So far, I’ve found active yeast and rapid rise at my grocery stores (I asked store management, and was told “those are the only kind I know of”). Is “instant” yeast AKA any other name?
    Also, I couldn’t find special baker’s dry milk locally.
    Thanks in advance (yes, I know I have loser grocery stores near me)!

Katrina, sounds like you used way too much flour. Please watch our video on the correct way to measure flour. Were you using King Arthur Flour? If not, that was a mistake. SAF instant yeast is carried in many grocery stores; it’s the brand we use here in the test kitchen. Fleischmann’s and Red Star call their instant yeast “bread machine yeast,” so you might find it under that name. If you can’t find it, try active dry; dissolve it in 3 tablespoons of the liquid in the recipe before adding it to the bowl. Substitute nonfat dry milk for Baker’s Special dry milk. Hope you give these buns another try – they’re REALLY good… any further questions, please call our Baker’s Hotline – 802-649-3717. PJH

113. *hathaway*

Alright, so I’m an aspiring baker who has tried a number of roll recipes trying in vain to recreate the delicious yeast rolls my grandmother would serve every Thanskgiving. Many were dry, others lacked flavor, some made it through one bite before being retired to the trash. I gave this recipe a try last weekend as a test run for the upcoming holiday and the taste was fantastic. The size however was on the diminutive side. Couple questions…

1. I was concerned regarding adding the yeast without “activating” it in warm water/milk prior to adding it to the dry ingredients. The first rising seemed to take FOREVER. And the rolls never quite “puffed” to what I had anticipated on the second rise. If I was to activate the yeast in one of the two wet ingredients, would this help?

2. I mixed/kneaded all by hand rather than with a mixer but followed the same instructions as if I had used the mixer. I then realized that a hand mixing recipe had been posted, is there any harm in using the mixer recipe but mixing by hand?

Thank you for all the fantastic information and this delicious recipe… my gram would be proud!

I’m glad that you’ve found a keeper. A slow rising dough may be caused by a cool room temperature or excess flour. To your questions:
    1) No. Instant yeast is never proofed. It should be added directly with the dry ingredients.
    2) You may use either method to develop the dough.
    Please call us on the hot line if you need assistance: 800-827-6836.
    Frank @ KAF.

114. wkw

re: the following comment in step-by-step, “Knot-side down, gently roll the dough in circles beneath your curled fingers… …You know, when we ever have video in this blog, this shaping technique is the first thing I want to show! It’s so easy to do – and so miserably hard to explain…

See “Bread Shaping Demo with Ciril Hitz”.
    Watching the whole vid. is quite satisfying, but you can advance to the 2:15 (two minutes, fifteen seconds) mark to see the small rolls technique discussed here.

115. ogoshi

what if i don’t have king arthur flour? will these buns work? also, is skim milk powder the right thing to use? just wondering!

Your ingredients should work just fine. Look for a soft, supple dough that when pressed feels like you are pushing on your cheek with your index finger. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

116. vanessabryce796

I just made these and all I can say is absolutely beautiful and delicious! I can’t believe how buxom they really are after rising…gorgeous! Tastes delicious too! I used the 1/4 cup instant potato flakes instead of potato flour and used disposable 9×13 cake pans.

Keep ‘em in mind for Thanksgiving, Vanessa… Glad you liked them! PJH

117. mjimd55

I made these for Thanksgiving and they went like “hotcakes.” Mine didn’t look as nice as yours, that I can deal with, but they weren’t “Yeasty”, read light. What is the texture suppose to be like? Thanks, wheat rolls are next.

These rolls are more “tender” than “light”. If you think they were too “heavy”, they may have had a little too much flour. You might want to review our method for measuring: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/measuring-flour.html Frank @ KAF.

118. Ruhina

These buns are a family favourite. Thank you for this recipe. Only, I’ll be shifting from the UAE and where I’m going, I doubt I’ll find potato flour or flakes. Could these be made with boiled, mashed potatoes as well? If yes, what would the ratio be? Please do tell. Thanks a ton :)

Don’t know the ratio for mashed potatoes, exactly - I’d start by using 1/2 cup mashed potatoes and cutting the liquid back by about 1/4 cup – see what happens. You can always adjust the dough consistency on the fly. Good luck – PJH

119. Brittany

Made these and LOVED them. They are perfect. I’ve been looking for a good roll recipe forever and haven’t ever found one that was “the one.” I love these, though. They will be our Thanksgiving rolls!

120. Kim

This will be my first time trying to make bread and I want to try to make the Golden Pull-Apart Butter Buns! None of my local stores carry “Instant Yeast,” but they do have “Dry Active Yeast.” Can I substitute the “Dry Active Yeast” for the “Instant Yeast?” If so, how?

Absolutely, Kim – use the same amount of active dry, mixing it right in with the other ingredients. No need to dissolve first. It’ll start more slowly than instant, so you’ll probably have to extend your rising times; but by the final rise, it should have caught up. Enjoy! PJH

121. Reggietan

The picture of the buns with butter won me over and I attempted to make this recipe BUT the buns turn out to be pretty hard..The base on the bun was hard and I was wondering if it is because of the way I rolled them? I know it’s being mentioned that rolling the buns is easy but for a newbie like me, it was pretty hard for me to fathom. I had all the ingredients and I know that I measured them accurately.. Can you advise where did I go wrong?

Sounds like maybe you baked them a bit too long, or in too hot an oven, or on a lower shelf in the oven? Perhaps in a dark pan? To keep those bottoms soft next time, set the cake pan on a baking sheet; this double insulation helps keep the bottom crust soft. Also, bake in the upper half/third of the oven, not towards the bottom; I’m sure both of these steps will help. And, take them out when they’re a light-to-medium golden brown, not dark; err on the side of a bit soft, rather than too hard. Good luck – I know you can make these successfully! PJH

122. castadiva1

Please define a lightly greased work surface and what do you use to grease it? Also, what is the temperature of a lukewarm liquid? Thanks
    You may use some vegetable oil or vegetable (or canola) spray to lightly grease your surface. Do not use so much that you have a substantial coating of grease. It should be only a thin coating. Luke warm will be about 105 degrees. Elisabeth

123. chickpad

Made these for dinner after Christmas and they were heavy as lead, not fluffy at all. Tasted good but were like little bowling balls. Also, the bottoms of the rolls were hard. Followed the recipe exactly; can’t imagine what happened. Any ideas?

Chickpad, call our bakers’ hotline, 802-649-3717; they can talk you through this and ensure your success next time. PJH

124. thefiverogers

Looks like no one has been on here since Christmas but I just made these rolls for dinner tonight, results were exactly as described and pictured in this blog. I use a scale to weigh ingredients for baking, and I use all KA products: all purpose flour, potato flour and dry milk, which may account for the perfect results. I see several newbie bakers on this blog and I want to tell them that skill only takes you so far – above average results require excellent ingredients. If you want to improve your baking – purchase KA ingredients! These rolls were very simple to make with my bread machine and the dough was so easy to work with. Blog photos really helped to ensure I was on track and the appropriate amount of rise. Blog also gave me the idea to bake one pan and place the second pan in freezer to bake later. Thank you KA for for another great recipe, can’t wait to pop them out of the freezer/refrigerator for another meal.

We second that emotion! While we may not be able to afford every luxury life has to offer, but a few pennies more for good ingredients can give you results that are satisfying beyond measure! Thanks for your good words here. Susan

125. bibiswas

Made two batches of these rolls for a dinner gathering yesterday. I made them the night before, shaped and placed them in the refrigerator (eight buns each) in four KAF Bake and Give Round Pans. Took them out at 11 am to bring them up to room temperature and baked them as directed at 3.30 pm. The end product is beautiful. Here are my concerns though: 1) I had to increase baking time by 8-10 minutes ever after switching oven racks midway through baking. 2)The rolls stuck to the pans like crazy. They were brown, soft and looked like a painting, but I had to tear them off from the Bake and Give Round Pans – any insights welcome – thanks!

It sounds to me like the paper wasn’t conducting heat as well as metal, thus the increased baking time. Did you grease the pans before using? If so, then I’m kinda out of ideas- but please call our bakers’ hotline, 802-649-3717. They’ve got lots of experience with those particular pans, and I know they can help you. Cheers – PJH

126. Claire

I am new to baking with yeast. My first attempt was made 2 days ago with a very simple buttermilk loaf and whole wheat loaf. The buttermilk loaf was fine except for the crust (too crusty for a sandwich bread for me and my 3yo) and the wheat bread – I’m feeding that to the birds.

I’ve tried these today substituting a couple of things to what I have available in my pantry: dry milk with buttermilk, potato flour with mashed potatoes, ran out of APC so I used about 1/2 of red whole wheat. OMG! They’re so moist and soft with a certain level of chewyness in them. They’re just a bit yeasty for my taste but that’s probably because I forgot to check on the dough on it’s first rise and it inflated like a balloon inside my oven. I’m from the Philippines and it’s about 85F today. But regardless, I love them and I’d like to thank you for sharing this. I hope that your products will become available locally. I certainly believe that that will up the quality of my breads. I used locally available ingredients. The only SAF yeast I can find is the blue one. Thank you so much and I’m looking forward to baking more yeast breads from your test kitchen! You inspire me!

Claire, good for you, persevering in the challenge of having to substitute ingredients. Tthere’s no plan for our products to become available in the Philippines, unfortunately; thank goodness, you can order anything you need from us online, because we do deliver to the Philippines. Best of luck with your future loaves – the more you practice, the better you’ll get. And, as you say, even the “failures” can be appreciated by the local wildlife1 :) PJH

127. misysdsb

I made these buns the second time this week (yes, they are yummy) but this time I experimented with a slight twist on the recipe.

Last night I put about 10 oz. of the flour and all the water in a glass bowl and “innocuated” it with my KAF sourdough starter (about 1/4 cup) and let it stand on the kitchen counter. It got all happy and bubbly overnight.

This morning I finished the recipe with the milk, the remaining flour, yeast, and other ingredients. Wowee!!
    At KAF, we love it when fellow bakers experiment and make the recipe their own! betsy@kaf

128. cailhammons

I’m practicing now for a perfect roll to serve with Thanksgiving dinner. Do you have any advice/experience adding sweet potato mash to this recipe?

This recipe is the best soft and tender roll, without any variations or substitutions! If you’d like a tried and true roll written for sweet potato, use the sweet potato roll recipe. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

129. haugesmh

Could I make these on jelly roll pans? I am cooking a about 6 doz for some of the marine guys in the barracks Thanksgiving. I was thinking this would be an awesome recipe but not sure about that large a quantity. thanks!

Jelly roll pans are a bit shallow; the rolls on the edges may blob over. But if the pan has at least a 1″ side, I think you’ll be OK. Good luck – and thanks for taking care of our Marines! PJH

130. eaorazi

I have to make these for thanksgiving and take them to someone else’s house where they will have to be warmed. Should I wait to brush them with butter until after they are warmed or when they first come out of the oven?
    Waiting until after they’ve been warmed will give you the best results. ~Amy

131. Carol from CA

My rolls are beautiful! I have tried rolls severals times so I was worried. Then, the dough immediately swirled around the beater, so I took your suggestion and add more liquid. I am SO happy with these. Thanks a million.

132. jaredkemper2009

I made these last week as a test run. Don’t have a stand mixer so I kneaded by hand, slap and fold style. Super sticky but it worked out in the end. I made half in an 8″ x 2″ cake pan and the other half into two small sub loaves. The rolls turned out great. Had sandwiches on one loaf and made garlic bread for lasagna with the other. It was probably the best garlic bread I have ever had. The rolls turned out great and I am excited to make them for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Thanks for the great write up!

I made these early this morning – 4 dozen,and they’re all gone (though certainly not forgotten!). Glad you enjoyed them, Jared – PJH

133. Maggie

I made these last night just to try them out with our Mother’s Day dinner and they were a total hit! baking more tonight per the kids request. I made it them by hand with no need of a machine. i just started baking 3 days ago so I was more than ecstatic that they were easy to make! Thanks!

134. Diane

Any suggestions on how to make these for a big Thanksgiving crowd? (34 people) These would be made to bring to a relative’s house where I’m guessing oven space would be at a premium so probably couldn’t actually bake them there – maybe just warm them a bit when everything else is out of the oven. Can you triple the batches at once – or would that be too much for the mixer? (I have a fairly heavy duty Kitchen Aid 6qt Professional 600 stand mixer). Would I bake them and try to keep them warm or let them cool and re-heat? These rolls look awesome and I’m sure they’d be a real hit (much better than the supermarket brown and serves we usually have…)

1. Amy Trage

My recommendation is to no more than double a yeast recipe and make multiple batches, not only for the sake of preserving your mixer, but also to ensure the integrity of the recipe results. Warming them before serving would be fine. ~Amy

135. Denise Wecker-Seipke

Do you have this pull-apart butter buns recipe in a gluten-free version? They’re very close to my traditional recipe, and I dread holidays without them, now that I have to eat gluten-free.

136. Chi

Hi…you mentioned giving the substitute for potato flour and the dry milk? Where I live potato flour is usually not easy to come by….would appreciate your reply. Thanks

1. Amy Trage

Hi! The substitutions were listed in the ingredient list on the blog. For the potato flour, instant potato flakes and for the baker’s special dry milk, use nonfat dry milk. Hope you enjoy the recipe! ~Amy

137. Aidan

Do you think it would make any difference if I assembled and froze these in paper pans? I’d love to do some advance prep, but I don’t think I could do without my metal pans!

138. Carmen

Maravillosos estos bollos, como todas tus recetas, todos los panes tuyos que he hecho han salido perfectos, muchas gracias por compartir tus recetas.

Gracias, Carmen – Me alegro de que haya “nos invitó a su cocina,” y espero que hornear y disfrutar de muchas más recetas. PJH

139. Peggy Soucie

When I read some of your recipes, that calls for Potato Flour, I wonder if you can use Potato water instead. In place of or instead of the Potato flour, called for in the recipe. I remember some OLD recipes where they used Potato Water instead of, or with the water or milk, for that extra raise and softness.

You bet, Peggy – potato water is SUPER for soft sandwich-type breads and rolls. I often freeze mine for just that purpose. Just remember to adjust the salt in your recipe, if you salted the water in which you boiled the potatoes. Cheers – PJH

You bet, Shel – I’ve made these rolls MANY times using the dough cycle of my Zo… Enjoy – PJH

140. Anais

Wow these looks yummy.
    I was just wandering if I could substitute the instant potato flakes with instant potato granules, or pearls?

Sure, Anais, just substitute 2 tablespoons buds (about 3/4 ounces, perhaps?) for the potato flakes. I’m sure it’ll work just fine. Good luck – PJH

141. Fara

I love to make these rolls, but I do not even know where I can even buy instant potato flakes. Is it the same as instant mashed potato? I have been to many stores asking for potato flour. No one had it. I can definitely use potato water instead, but would you please tell me how much I need to substitute it for the amount of potato flour? thanks!

Fara, you can always buy potato flour here on our site. And yes, you can use instant mashed potatoes; use the same amount as potato flour (be weight), or double the amount (by volume). Potato water is always good, too. Good luck – PJH

142. Kathy

My first attempt ever at buns, turned out FABULOUS! Test for Thanksgiving (next week). I used bread machine on dough setting, Fleischmann’s Active Dry yeast, refrigerated over night after first rise. Did not read blog, so my shaping did not turn out as pretty as yours (I’d send you a pic if I could). Think I will do the clover-leaf method on ‘the day’. Thanks so much… I feel like a baking super hero!

Give yourself credit, gentle baker – you ARE a baking super hero – probably wearing an apron instead of a cape? Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

2. Kathy

An addendum: I would like to recommend the KAF dough rising bucket and dough cutters (plastic). I got them when I tried the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day (with which I was not quite sympatico)… they work great for ‘regular’ yeast breads.

143. Fara

Finally I made these beautiful buns. They almost doubled in size after 5 hours. But once I started to divide them into smaller pieces, I did not get big buns as I saw in the picture. Mine were like an inche bun each. Is it how it is supposed to be? I have left it to rise for the 2nd time. I am sure though they will not look like the ones in the picture!!

Fara, did you divide the dough into the number of buns specified? If so, you should end up with buns that are about 2 1/2″ in diameter. I hope that was the outcome… If not, please call our baker’s hotline, 855-371-2253. They can talk you through what might have gone wrong. PJH

144. Stefani Velasquez

Hi! I have one question before I make these for Thanksgiving

1. My stand mixer died on me last week :( and I cant afford to get another one yet; could I knead the dough by hand? Would the dough rise like the way you describe it?

thanks!

You sure can, Stefani – people kneaded their dough by hand for thousands of years. Be sure to leave yourself extra time for the rises, as dough continues to develop its gluten as it rests; so if you don’t knead it as thoroughly as your stand mixer, time will do the job. Good luck – PJH

145. katiu

I would like to make a batch of these (9×13 pan), freeze, and remove from the pan (into a bread bag? zip loc freezer bag?), and give to a friend to take home for Christmas (with directions). The instructions above say to freeze in the pan. Suggestions? Thanks! Kathy H.

You might try lining the pan with parchment paper. That would allow you to more easily remove the buns from the pan.~Jaydl@KAF

146. Jen

I have always been successful with the above recipe. I would like to make sub rolls using the above recipe. Is it possible?

Also I have KAF diastatic malt on my shelf. Have read great reviews about it on your website. If I have to add it to above recipe, how much should I add? And should I add it to dry ingredients? With the addition of malt will I have to make any changes to any of the I ingredients. Thank you.

Jen, sure, you can simply shape the rolls into sub shape, instead of rounds; they’ll retain their same soft texture. Add 1/4 teaspoon diastatic malt along with the rest of the dry ingredients; it’ll help the yeast. No need to change any of the other ingredients. Good luck – PJH

147. Isagani

Utterly AWESOME! Where can I get King Arthur unbleached flour, and potato flour and dry milk as you mentioned, I’m in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia!

We don’t have any physical distributors in Saudi Arabia, but if you send us an email through the website or give us a call at 1-800-827-6836, we’d be happy to put together an order and ship all that to you. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

148. Lalita

I live at high altitude. Should I be making changes to this recipe? Can I use bread flour instead of all purpose?

Sure, Dena, you can use bread flour; just increase the liquid by a couple of tablespoons or so, to yield a smooth, soft (but not sticky) dough. Enjoy – PJH

149. susan

Will it make any difference if I use the dried buttermilk in this recipe instead of regular dry milk?
    The former is a staple but the second is not. Any substitute for the potato flour as well? Thanks! Susan

Use the dried buttermilk for a nice, slightly tangy flavor. No potato flour? Consider using 1/4 cup potato flakes, or use the water from boiling potatoes as the liquid in your recipe. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

150. KathyTobby

I made these rolls tonight (followed exactly except I added dough enhancers for better or worse- non diastatic malt, lecithin and ascorbic acid) and they were just amazing. My husband said they were the Krispie Kreme of donuts- light as a feather and so delicious. I will make this my new dinner roll recipe. I used half the dough to make cinnamon rolls and they were perfect too. My only problem was getting the softened butter mixed in uniformly with the flour. Would it change or hurt anything to melt the butter? When I added all the flour the dough went dry and I had a difficult time mixing the butter into the dough. My kitchen is very dry because of all the cold weather and dry heat. Still the recipe is forgiving because in the end they were perfect. Thank you so much! This is a recipe I plan to commit to memory.

Kathy, go ahead and melt the butter; it doesn’t add to the rolls’ structure, so doesn’t matter how it goes in. I’m so glad you love these rolls as much as I do! Happy Thanksgiving – PJH

151. Donna

I wish to do these in Cloverleaf fashion and the “Brown and Serve” version.
    What is the reason for not allowing the rolls to rise fully before freezing?
    Do the rolls rise a bit more after they are thawed and when you bring them out of the refrigerator and before baking?

The rolls will continue to rise slightly when they are put in the freezer because the inside of the dough is not frozen immediately. And yes, the dough continues to rise a bit after it is thawed. Happy baking! Laurie @ KAF

Hi Jennifer,
      Unfortunately we don’t have any nutritional information available for this recipe. Our team is working to include that information for our newer recipes and I will be sure to pass along your desire to see those statistics made available. Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF