Tell us what you’re baking for Thanksgiving–

img_4859.JPG

What’s the ONE thing you simply have to bake for Thanksgiving every year?

You know, your signature dish; the pumpkin pie, or cranberry bread, or even the stuffing that everyone demands of you. You might get tired of making it – but show up at your brother-in-law’s without it, and I tell you, Mr. Man, you’re in deep… trouble.

My #1 most-requested baked treat, hands down, is dinner rolls. These moist, soft, white-flour dinner rolls, melted butter lending their crust a satiny sheen, have over-the-top flavor. They’re the ultimate mild-mannered sop to the eclectic array of multiple flavors and textures that’s a hallmark of everyone’s Thanksgiving dinner plate. I bring pie. I bring cranberry cake. But the dinner rolls are a REQUIREMENT.

Pictured above is a new favorite, something that our test kitchen director, Sue Gray, conjured up this week. She took our Pumpkin Streusel Cake Mix and, instead of making it into a filled bundt-style cake, she simply spread it in a pan and made one heckuva yummy streusel-topped pumpkin coffeecake.

We totally chowed down on this coffeecake in the test kitchen last week. (Don’t worry – we shared with customer service, IT, and the merchandise team, too!) So if you’ve been charged with providing Thanksgiving breakfast – give this a look-see.

But back to my original question: What are YOU baking for Thanksgiving? Tell us about your Thanksgiving specialties, your personal favorite dish, memories, anything and everything having to do with Thanksgiving baking.

Thanksgiving is all about sharing. Please share you story: with us here at KA, and with your thousands of fellow blog readers. Personally, I’m looking forward to finding another MUST BRING to add to my dinner rolls – how about you?

comments

1. Myrnie

Unfortunately no matter what else I offer to bring, I can’t get out of ALSO bringing Grandma’s Jell-O salad. 1 box of red Jell-O, 1 carton of Cool-Whip, 1 carton of cottage cheese. Some family habits are hard to break! :o) However, since we have a birthday on Thanksgiving this year, I’ll also be required to bring our favorite cake (Martha’s one-bowl chocolate cake.) Yum yum!

Secret confession, Myrnie: I LOVE Jell-O salads. I think I’ll make this one! I have a recipe called, simply, Pink Stuff. It’s very similar – I think it’s raspberry Jell-O and Cool Whip and frozen strawberries. Now I’m going to have to dig it out and look! PJH

2. Jocelyn

I always bake Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Chocolate Pecan Pie, but I’m thinking of switching this year to the Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie that you posted the other day. I’ll also make an apple pie since my son hates nuts (what’s up with that?) and is on an apple pie request binge!

3. Mrs. Hamlet

For the last three years, my sister-in-law has demanded that I make the “company bread.” It’s my mother’s recipe for rosemary bread that I made for the first Thanksgiving I spent with them, hoping to impress. And impress I did! It’s a very simple recipe, but it requires about 3 hours of rising time, so I’m forever getting up before dawn on Thanksgiving to start it! And I also have to make an apple pie. Oh man, I LOVE Thanksgiving!

4. Hanne

Cherry pie. I can gallons of Montmorency and Stella tart cherries every July, pitting them and putting them up in a 50/50 blend of cherry juice and light syrup. I open my first jars at Thanksgiving, and make a totally out of season, but totally homemade cherry pie. No gloppy-gooey-cornstarchy canned pie filling here!

5. Quill

Betty’s Sour Cream Apple Pie, a one-crust pie with a sour cream and spice topping. I love it, but I only make it once a year, in memory of my mother’s best friend and my beloved mentor. Our families used to share Thanksgivings and Christmases, and I still miss her even now. I don’t think my family would know what to do with me if I turned up without it.

6. Melinda

No one in my house likes peaches except for me, so on Thanksgiving I take advantage of the fact that I can share a butterscotch-peach pie with other peach lovers.

Butterscotch Peach Pie?? Oh, my, that sounds spectacular – two of my favorite flavors! Any chance of you sharing, Melinda… at least the concept? :) PJH

7. Liliana Szachury

Hello there!!
    I live in Canada, so, the “Thanksgiving” was October 12 , I had to bring the cake and the bread, so I decided to make two cheesecakes and two sourdough and one rye breads, the day before I made the cheesecake and in the morning just make the breads, I decided to make two sourdough and one Pompernickel Onion loaf bread, so, I made the very early the sourdough and then the pompernickel dough, the kitchen was a mess because a the same time I was decorating the cheesecakes, when I finished the decoration, I thought, first I have to clean up the kitchen and then I will be able to bake the breads in calm, so I started puting away all the stuff I had on the counter and for me was easy put in the oven “just for a minute” the bowl with the sourdough, was risen beautiful (by the way) the oven was off, so, I started cleaning up, doing dishes, cleaning the counter so busy, then I saw the pumpernickel loaf was almost ready to be baked , so, I turn on the oven while cleaning , after five minutes, my husband came out from the bathroom and I said ” the sourdough is rising so beautiful look… in that moment my face turned green!!!! the sourdough bowl was in the oven and it was on!!! I have forgotten !!!so, inmediatly I took it and it was burned!!! I started crying and then I thought it is just 4 o 5 minutes!!! then is just the surface, so inmediatly I took off the surface and knead the dough for one minute and and put again to rise, and like a miracle was like nothing happent !!! perfect!!! so I made the two beautiful loaf breads after, and the pumpernickel, the cheesecakes …..so, never again I have thought put something in the oven “just for a minute” or for “clean up” and that night everything was nice after all!!! happy thanksgiving!!!
    Well Liliana – I was left both exhausted and somewhat stressed after reading about that episodic event taking place in your kitchen! My, you pulled that off quite beautifully. Good for you! I think most of us multi taskers have let situations get the best of us more than once. You are not alone. Elisabeth @ KAF

8. Allie

This year I’m taking chocolate truffles. I am also going to take some form of cake. I thought I’d use the Chocolate Indulgence Cake mix and make it into cupcake-sized cakes.

9. Susan Tedder

I will be making pies again, a family requirement. I am cutting back this year but it still will be extensive, 6 pumpkin pies, 3 apple pies, 1 apple currant walnut with brandy hard sauce, and German chocolate pecan pie.
    Last year it was 16 pies! Today I am making sour cream chocolate cakes.
    One batch for a Cinderella cake, one for additional cupcakes, peanut butter playdough to mold birds and mice for Cinderella, orange marmalade tarts and mini cupcakes for school.

Susan, all I can say is WOW! Eleven pies is “cutting back?” You go, girl! And the cakes – my hat’s off to you. PJH

10. Jamie

Definitely my grandma’s stuffing! Simply bread cubes, sausage, hamburger, seasonings, etc. But soooo good! I’ll also probably make a pie or tart, either apple or pecan.

11. Lyna

“Mother’s Dressing” is essential. It has 12 cups bread ( half heels or whatever, half cornbread-the crustier the better), 1 c fat (melted butter, bacon drippings…), 1 1/2 c celery, 2Tbs salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1Tbs sage, 3-4 eggs, 2-4c broth. It is best the day after, then you can add 2-4 cups chopped turkey. My oldest copy doesn’t include to bake in a large pan at 350 for 45-60 minutes, just the ingredient list.
    This was her mother’s receipe, pre-WWII.

Sounds like a great old-fashioned stuffing, Lyna – thanks for sharing. PJH

12. Peggy

My son and I are going to the Cape to visitmy Dad and I am going to bring the KA Cinnamon Eggnog scones for breakfast.

For the meal I am still trying to find a good cornbread dressing recipe…but will make the boiled cider apple pie and a ginger pumpkin tart.

Oh boy, love the Cape, Peggy – we were in Truro in October. As for cornbread dressing – take a look at this one, see what you think. Cheers – PJH

13. Sue

PJ,At my Hubby’s gatherings we always have “orange stuff” made kind of like your “pink stuff” but with orange jello and mandarine oranges and orange sherbet and whipped cream. Aren’t we all so creative with naming things LOL!
    I’m in charge of all the pies. The kinds vary depending on my side or Hubby’s side of the family. Chocolate mousse pie , raspberry cream,sweet potato, pecan and usually an experimental new pie to try out.

Sue, I’m such a pie aficionado – those all sound wonderful. I’ve been thinking I might make my very first ever mince pie this year. No one but my husband will even try it, but what the heck – I can say “I’ve made mince pie.” And maybe I should make Pink Stuff AND Orange Stuff, eh? :) PJH

14. V Reed

I too am responsible for the dinner rolls. My favorite part is kneading. I just can’t imagine anything more effective to release the stress of the world around me than kneading bread! Since I can’t eat sugar (horrifying, I know!) I also make sure to whip up a double layer chilled pumpkin cheesecake dessert that is sugar free. To top this year off, I’m thinking that my 3 1/2 year old needs to get in the act with some sugar cookies. Do you have a good ‘Preschooler Friendly’ sugar cookie recipe? :)

Not sure how preschool-friendly this is – I guess it depends on the preschooler, huh? – but it’s a sugar cookie recipe that’s easy to roll and only has a few simple ingredients… Try Holiday Sugar Cookies. Good luck – PJH

15. Melody

Always apple pie bars — basically a double-crust apple pie in a sheet pan, with streaks of glaze across the top. So delicious, and only made once a year for Thanksgiving. Overnight refrigerator crescent rolls are a must as well.

Melody, that’s interesting – I had someone contact me a few years ago looking for “slab pie” – which he said was flat apple pie in a rectangular pan with drizzles of white glaze on top. I’ll definitely have to try this sometime – maybe even this Thanksgiving – although I’ll probably add cinnamon to that white glaze. Thanks for sharing. PJH

16. Faye

My mom has to bring sweet potato pie to our Thanksgiving dinner; she’s the only one who knows how to make it “just right.” My favorite thing to make is Cranberry Chutney, with pineapple and golden raisins. The turkey just wouldn’t taste right without it!

17. Danielle

My dad and I have to make an apple pie together for Thanksgiving–he is in charge of the apple part and I make the crust. I was trying to remember when this tradition started (I think high school) which means we’ve been doing it for 15 years now. Last year I got new apple varieties and I often change crust recipes–we are always trying to make a more perfect pie each year. We’ve been using the KAF pie filling enhancer for a few years now, too.

18. tofugirl

Well, I usually make a sour cream pumpkin tart every year. This year, I think it’s going to be replaced by the less filling more crust apple pie you posted earlier! (I’ve already made it twice!)

We also usually pester my brother to make his bacon cornbread (so decadent). Although honestly, by the time we finish with the deep-fried turkey and stuffing and potatoes, etc….dessert is usually had the next day. Pie for breakfast!

19. linda

pj: this link for cornbread is a recipe from s yard @ spago & is amazing:

i have made it & frozen & the taste is still there!

happy holiday baking to all!

OK, Linda, viewed and am definitely saving this link – looks fabulous. Sherry Yard ia cool – the year our KA Baker’s Companion won Cookbook of the Year at the Beard awards, her book won the baking category, so we were onstage at the same time down in NYC. Nice person. Thanks for sharing- PJH

20. EdgeWise

I make a cornbread casserole (“spoonbread”) that I’ve been refining to be more healthy and more delicious over the years. I accompany it with a braised winter squash (great blue hubbard) / chipotle / red bean dish from Peter Berley’s Fresh Food Fast cookbook.

21. Glenn

I am the chief cook / baker and organizer for the IN-LAW side of my family. Years ago, we decided to have a Thanksgiving breakfast instead of a dinner. That frees everyone up to go to the other side of their respective families without having to eat turkey and trimmings twice.

Consequently, I am “required” to make homemade biscuits and gravy, hash brown casserole, and cinnamon rolls. There’ll be other stuff, too, but the question asked what we’d be BAKING. Most of my in-laws put in their requests as to what treats they’d like baked for Christmas (for the family get-together and as gifts).

22. Muffy

I’ll be baking Indian Pudding and Pumpkin Pie–but I cheat a bit there and use canned pumpkin. We live in southern Arizona, and good produce is very hard to find in the desert (my hub & I went to 4 stores in search of decent peaches/nectarines for ice cream this summer)!

We go to a pot luck dinner each Thanksgiving. So, in addition to the Pudding and Homemade Pie, I’ll also do some Creamed Onions–always requested. I may also whip up some Raisin Bread or rolls of some type or whatever the host needs (when I call to check on Wednesday).

23. Sue

The one thing that I absolutely must make is cloverleaf dinner rolls. Other must haves are mashed potatoes, and graham cracker cream pie, although I’m thinking of breaking tradition this year and making pecan. The chocolate chunk pecan pie is really speaking to me.

24. Suzanne

My family likes the same things every year. They don’t want me to change a thing and threaten rebellion when I suggest we try something new. I guess that means I’m doing something right, though. :) Thanksgiving is a two-day baking marathon. Pumpkin pies, pecan pies, apple pies, french bread rolls, sweet potato casserole, cinnamon rolls for breakfast–and all made with your flour. I usually go through close to 10lbs. My favorite time of year!!!

Suzanne, from all of us 167 employee-owners here at King Arthur – we thank you for using 10 pounds of our flour at a single holiday! Hope everything comes out DEELISH. PJH

25. Lauralee

I went up to Canada for Canadian Thanksgiving with my three sons and friends in British Columbia in October. For that event I made a pecan tart, a pumpkin pie, a chocolate cheesecake and Nainaimo Bars (traditional). Everything was delicious and I got rave reviews.

Now for USA Thanksgiving, I have been invited by my neighbors to spend it with their family and have been asked to bring the pumpkin pies. I also think I’ll make a rhubarb custard pie with frozen rhubarb from my garden this year. I’m looking forward to my 2nd Thanksgiving. Can’t get too many!

Two Thanksgivings – I envy you, Lauralee! Rhubarb is an unusual choice for Thanksgiving – but delicious. I froze tons of rhubarb sauce last spring – so good on ice cream. PJH

26. Kimberly D

Wow, I am tired reading what everyone is making. Than I read Lyna’s “Mother’s Dressing” and realized that is the same dressing my Mother made and I know make, not sure were my Mother got her recipe from, probably her Grandma. I will make pies, pumpkin and apple and fruit salad, and squash, sweet potatoes (fresh not canned), turkey, mashed potatoes and “green stuff” Pistachio Salad, pistachio pudding mix, whip cream, crushed pinapples, small marshmellows and more nuts if you want them. Yes I am making it all, there is only a small gathering, my dad, me, my two brothers, neither one are married anymore, and their kids go to their families now they are all married. I sometimes try a new dish. And I buy my rolls. And sometimes we go out to the local Faternal Order of Eagles club and just got to bring a dish to pass and the club provides the turkey. Depends on my mood to cook it all…LOL!

Thanks for sharing, Kimberly. I love how recipes circle around and around and around… sometimes taking on slightly different features, though it sounds like your stuffing and Lyna’s mom’s are basically the same – they must qualify as the Mother Stuffing. P.S. I like your Green Stuff, it sounds yummy. PJH

27. Joan

Yes! Green Stuff. Only my family calls it Green Goop. I’ll be baking pies – pecan, cream, and a fruit, either apple or raspberry. That rhubarb custard sounds good, too; especially since I’ve got tons of frozen rhubarb.

28. Ali

Turtle Cake. I think there would be a rebellion if I didn’t make it. :P Strangely, I only make it at Thanksgiving and sometimes Christmas… never at any other time during the year, even though it’s not really seasonal.

Ali, sounds like… chocolate-pecan-caramel? YUMMMMM PJH

29. Bee

Thanksgiving is a study in time management at my house. It’s all about the oven!! I am a private chef, so every year I first cook an entire dinner for my clients, deliver that, then start in on my personal baking projects. THANKfully, my entire family loves to cook, so I just bring desserts. Caramelized-apple brioche bread pudding with cinnamon custard sauce, brown sugar pecan bars, pumpkin ginger cheesecake and dozens of frosted turkey sugar cookies!! And we feast for two days!!! I think I need to place my KAF order ASAP!!

Oh, Bee – it all sounds so good. I’m glad you have enough energy to do both work AND family Thanksgivings! Yes, place your order soon – but never fear, we’re working like a well-oiled machine and are getting orders out the door VERY quickly these days – within hours… PJH

30. Ginger

Thanksgiving is at my house so I’m making the majority of the food. I will be baking Nana’s dressing (the recipe is actually from my Great Grandmother), sweet potatoes, rolls, the turkey, etc. I also make a recipe of KA’s stuffing rolls as sandwich buns for the next day’s left over turkey sandwiches. When we go shopping the day after Thanksgiving we bring our lunch and eat in the car. We don’t go shopping early, usually arrive at the mall about 9am. But bringing your lunch allows you to avoid the crowds at the food court, save money, and enjoy a left over turkey sandwich. When I was a child it used to embarrass me to do this, but as an adult I don’t mind at all.

Now a comforting turkey sandwich in the car is perfect, eh, Ginger? I feel the same. Amazing the amount of things we found embarrassing as a kid that are just “who cares” once you grow up, eh? :) PJH

31. Carla

PJH ~ Try Apfelkuchen – the yeasted version is flat/slab-like with apples arranged on top, sprinkled with brown sugar & cinnamon then baked and drizzled with powdered sugar icing. When I made these for our Oktoberfest, I subbed boiled cider for the liquid in the icing…OH! MAN! The kids in the German HS Class (who put on the Oktoberfest as a fundraiser) are still talking about the Apfelkuchen!

I’d heard of that, Carla, never tried it – thanks, I’ll dig out a recipe and give it a go – with the boiled cider, of course. :) PJH

32. k8

Well…I’m in charge of most of the Thanksgiving food prep, so quite a bit. Pumpkin bread, cornbread dressing (and the cornbread and other breads it contains), a turkey roulade, caramelized butternut squash, pecan pie, the pumpkin-almond custard pie that is the traditional pumpkin pie in our family, and maybe a pie that involves chocolate. And of course, the crusts for all of the pies, made with lard just like grandma and great-grandma made it.

33. Janey

Caribbean fudge pie! Mom has been making it since before I’ve been alive from an old Southern Living cookbook. Now it’s my turn.

I use a very basic pie crust recipe: 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup shortening, 1/2 tsp salt, plus about 1/4 cup ice water.

1/4 cup butter
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    3 eggs
    2 cups semi-sweet chocolate
    2 tsp instant coffee granules (I’m wondering how it would taste with your espresso powder…this is usually omitted at our household due to my brother-in-law’s taste, but sometimes we overrule him)
    1 tsp rum, rum flavoring, etc
    1/4 c all purpose flour
    The old recipe calls for chopped walnuts and walnut halves. We never use it.

Melt your chocolate, either via microwave or double-boiler. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add everything else and mix thoroughly. Turn into a 9-inch (unbaked) pie crust. If you’re adding walnut halves, add them now on top. Then bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

The result is a remarkably rich and dense pie, so thick and chocolate-y you need a glass of milk or coffee just to get it down! My question is, how could I make it even better…?

If anyone has excellent biscuit/roll recipes, please share!

34. Dorothy

Our family actually celebrated Thanksgiving today, since our out-of-town relatives were in for a visit. Corn casserole is a staple on our holiday table, as well as Stouffer’s stuffing (with raisins added) and homemade rolls. I couldn’t decide which ones to make this year, so I ended up making both the Soft White Dinner Rolls and Honey Wheat Rolls. For the dessert table I made an apple butter Bundt cake, cranberry crumb pie, and pumpkin gooey butter cakes…the trifecta of fall flavors, don’t you think?

People tend to forget about corn at Thanksgiving, but it was actually THE original Thanksgiving vegetable – Native American corn saved the Pilgrims from starvation that first year. I agree about that trifecta – with the spices du jour ginger and cinnamon. Thanks for sharing, Dorothy – PJH

35. jen

orange rolls…not those cinnamon-roll-type ones, but these are–well, it’s just not thanksgiving or christmas without mom’s orange rolls….creschent roll dough, dipped in oj+melted butter, coated in powdered coconut pecan frosting, baked, then drizzled with orange glaze…nutty, sweet, savory–heaven from a muffin tin!

Jen, question – what’s powdered coconut-pecan frosting? The whole thing sounds divine… PJH

36. Phyllis

Pies, pies, pies! Not having Thanksgiving here this year but am bringing a tart cherry pie with a lattice crust, my “apple flower” tart and a pumpkin pie (a doctored up version of Libby’s back of can recipe. I don’t like condensed milk so I substitute half and half and add 2T brandy, also a combination of white and light brown sugar.) My “apple flower” is a tart crust, 2 cups small diced apples in bottom with sugar, lemon juice and apricot preserves mixed in. Then, starting around the outsie rim I overlap apple slices. Continuing with acddtional rows toward the center, a “flower” is formed. A rolled up strip of apple forms the center. The tart is dotted with butter and after baking until the “petal” edges are sightly browned, the tart is then glazed with melted apricot preserves. These recipes with photos are on my blog: sweetpaprika.wordpress.com. I love Thanksgiving, second only to Christmas.

37. Christina

hummmm
    In our young family, I’m charged with creating our family’s baking tradition. My mom isn’t much of a baker (I taught myself from cookbooks during her teacher in-service when I was in junior high… yeah yeah I know, “kids should only use the oven with parental supervision”) aside from her cornbread dressing. I absolutely make her dressing with fresh cornbread, green onion, boiled egg, celery, broth, eggs, and seasoning. My husband’s mom baked all their pies, but my husband never got in on the preparation part.

So far our big one is the Amish Dinner Rolls from here. Crack, pure starchy crack. Last year, we sent the recipe to a friend whose spouse loves them because we were expecting our new addition mid November and I was pretty sure I would be too busy with a newborn come Thanksgiving. He told her that only I could make them and that he would wait. (blush)

I’m working on my pie crust skills and hoping to have pies in rotation soon. The KAF demo I went to here in town was wonderful! It really helped me get over my fear of pie crust. :)

I also really want to start the tradition of sugar cookies made with the little ones help. I think the sugar cookie recipe linked in the comments earlier is a good one for kids, but in my experience, we have to make the dough in stealth. For my preschooler, waiting for it to chill after it is made is just too much waiting while lusting after cookies.

Now… off to deconstruct the flapjacks from the English bakery in town. :)

p.s. – My “baby” turns 1 on Wednesday and I’m thinking he needs a whoopie pie…..or cupcakes… we’ll see.

Christina, I guarantee, whatever you make for Wednesday, it’ll end up all over his face. So be prepared with the camera. I’ve NEVER seen a 1-year-old birthday party where the b-day boy/girl didn’t end up smeared with cake. I’m remembering my son’s face now, 24 years later – carrot cake with cream cheese frosting – :) PJH

38. Steven

I’ve already baked and had my fill of pumpkin pie. For mine, I used a combo of KA’s “Guaranteed Pumpkin Pie” for the filling (the best I’ve ever tasted!) along with elements of the “Spectacular Pumpkin Pie” recipe in the Dec. 09 Southern Living. It calls for mostly covering a par-baked pie pastry with a gingersnap/pecan/melted butter/confectioners’ sugar crust (which keeps the pie crust from getting soggy), and then scattering a pecan streusel across the outer perimeter of the pumpkin filling, and garnishing with halved gingersnaps arranged vertically. Over-the-top, yes — but fabulous!

The past few holidays I have brought the “Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Roll” from the Holiday 2006 issue of “The Baking Sheet.” It’s always a crowd favorite, and it’s relatively easy to make and beautiful to behold. The plain-jane name doesn’t do it justice. It’s a pumpkin jellyroll cake filled with cream cheese frosting, and then drizzled with white chocolate, decked with candied pecans, and dusted with a snow of confectioners’ sugar.

For anyone wanting to give a from-scratch mincemeat pie a try, I recommend “Dried-Fruit Mincemeat Pie with Lattice Cream Cheese Crust” from Richard Sax’s “Classic Home Desserts,” which is one of my dessert bibles. The pie is redolent with fresh apples and pears, myriad dried fruits and spices, gingersnaps, and brandy, all atop a luscious crust. It’s a little time-consuming, because of all the ingredients (no meat or beef suet!) but it’s pretty simple.

Steven, thanks for reminding me of a pumpkin pie I used to make, and had forgotten – a Betty Crocker version with ground pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon sprinkled in the bottom of the crust before adding the filling. I like what you did for topping, too – who ever thinks of “topping” a pumpkin pie, but it certainly does add an extra touch, both taste- and looks-wise. PJH

39. Anna

It’s funny- despite being a huge fan of all things food, traditional Thanksgiving foods have never been my favorite. I’m more fond of the family aspect of the holiday than the actual meal. That being said, I’m finding myself craving these foods because I won’t be able to have them this year- I’m currently studying abroad in Nairobi, Kenya. There will be no turkey, no pumpkin pie, no stuffing, and no cranberry sauce for me this year. I wouldn’t be able to find any of the ingredients for them. But I will be making a pumpkin bread or pie using butternut squash! Missing out seasonal fall foods this year has made me so bad, but I’ve found that butternut squash can substitute in a pinch. Now if only I had baking equipment besides that one glass baking pan…

Anna, live in the moment – you’ll be back to your Thanksgiving foods another year, and you’ll always remember THIS year as the year of the butternut squash and ONE glass pan! PJH

40. jami

We have several “required” desserts: my aunt’s apple pie, my mom’s chocolate cake, and pumpkin cheesecake (courtesy of Bon Appetit, circa 1993). This year, my cousin is turning 80, and her favorite cake is my mother-in-law’s chocolate chip cake, so we will be breaking with tradition to celebrate her special day. While we’re at it, I’m also thinking of trying out the chocolate chunk pecan pie you posted about earlier this week!

41. Marianna

This blessed holiday is like the Olympics for those of us who love to cook and bake. Thanksgiving is all about sharing the table and everyone has their own idea of what is required at that feast. By the time you make everything you think will fullfill everyone’s wishlist, it’s almost impossible to find the time or the serving bowl to try something new! That said, I am definitely adding PJ’s Golden Pull-Apart Butter Buns this year! YUM! I am the baker in the family and my pies are what everyone looks forward to for dessert. Pineapple pie is a must. It is quite refreshing and best served chilled. Apple, blueberry crumb, and sweet potato or pumpkin pie are also big favorites and usually on my list. If I am feeling particularly thankful I bake small versions of pumpkin cake with dried cranberries and pecans for everyone to take home. The only part of all the cooking and baking I don’t look forward to is the clean up. UGH! I wish everyone abundant blessings this holiday season!

Thanks for sharing, Marianna – with your family, and with us here. Is the pineapple pie made with fresh pineapple cut in chunks (as opposed to, say, a creamy lemon meringue type pie?) PJH

42. T.B.

my tree is overloaded with hayacha persimmons and i have no idea what to do with them! i love to bake with them…but id love to bake with them even more with the guidance of you guys!!! any suggestions?? they are so beautiful and inseason right now!

Hi – Another reader here has the same delicious issue, and suggests using them as you would applesauce. She sent us a case for the test kitchen; we waited till they were very soft, then simply squeezed the flesh out of the skins. Persimmon cake; persimmon custard pie; muffins… what else would you do with applesauce? Go ahead and do it with persimmons. Enjoy! PJH

43. Erin in PA

For my family, a lot of our traditions are not baked goods – we cannot have Thanksgiving without my grandmother’s jazzed up green bean casserole (bacon and cheddar cheese – how can you go wrong?); our homemade cranberry salad (jello and a whole bag of chopped cranberries, apple, and pineapple).this year I think I will make your butter rolls you just posted this week. I always bring a pumpkin roll for dessert and my aunt makes a pumpkin pie. Usually on Black Friday we have a Christmas cookie baking marathon – baking chocolate chip, gingersnaps, Swedish teacakes, pizzeles,buckeyes, and usually something new. This year I am going to try Vanilla Dreams,dipped in chocolate and chopped toasted pecans. Thanksgiving really is my favorite holiday! We love this holiday also, it’s all about food and traditions…..not gifts or other expectations! Irene @ KAF

44. Marianna

Hi PJH- The pineapple pie I make comes from Carole Walter’s book Great Pies and Tarts. She calls it Tropical Pineapple Pie. She recommends canned crushed pineapple and says she doesn’t feel that the results you would get from fresh would give you better results. What you do is drain a large (20 oz) and small can (8 oz) of unsweetened pineapple. You want 1 1/3 cup of juice and if you don’t get this from the cans add some orange juice. You set aside the fruit. Mix 1/2 c sugar, 3 tbs cornstarch, and 1/4 tsp salt together in a large saucepan and then over medium heat slowly add in the juice and cook it until thickened and translucent. Take the saucepan off the heat and add back the fruit, 3-4 tbs unsalted butter cut into pieces, 3/4 tsp fresh orange zest, 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest and 1 tbs of lemon juice. ( I LIKE TO USE EQUAL PARTS OF EACH ZEST AND I SOMETIMES HOLD BACK SLIGHTLY ON THE LEMON JUICE BASED ON HOW SWEET THE PINEAPPLE TASTES) Mix together and allow to cool slightly. Use your favorite pie crust recipe. Fill the pie, brush it with an egg white beaten with tsp of water, and sprinkle the top crust with some sugar. Bake until your pie is golden. If the sugar on the top crust starts to darken too fast, lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the pie. When it’s done I let it cool at room temperature and then I chill it. I think it tastes best when made the day before you are going to eat it because you allow all the citrus flavors to meld. The butter added to the filling really makes a yummy difference but I suppose someone could omit it if they wanted to. :) Wow! Thanks for the tips. Irene @ KAF

Thanks, Marianna – I’m definitely going to make this. I always loved the TableTalk pineapple pies… PJH

45. Claire

Our Thanksgiving Day starts very low-key, with just the three of us sitting in the living room, decorating your Butter Cookies cut into fall-ish shapes and watching the Macy’s parade. By then, all my baking has been done, and I love the peace of the morning.

Thursday afternoon around 2, we head over to the big celebration. A large gathering of family, and I’m the dinner roll queen. I’ve brought rolls ever since I was a teenager, and I found out the person who used to bring the rolls felt the ones in a can were sufficient. I usually make close to 40 dinner rolls to feed the masses, with plenty lef over for miniature turkey sandwiches late, late Thursday night/early Friday morning.

Friday we always celebrate my daughter’s birthday with the out-of-town family, so that means two carrot cakes (for our carrot top).

46. Brenda

Mom’s pumpkin pie (from an old falling-apart Occidental Flour pie cookbook), Mom’s oatmeal bread (similar to yours, but dare I say even better?), Aunt Connie’s pecan pie, and our version of Jello salad–strawberry Jello, frozen strawberries, crushed pineapple, & mashed bananas–served with whipped cream, of course!

47. Lynn Beck

Libby’s Pumpkin Pie is a must have. I’ve tried other pie recipes, but my family prefers the Libby’s recipe. I play around with other dishes, but this is a must.

48. Kim

I will be making pumpkin cake (everyone’s favorite), apple pie & homemade rolls. All my family will be coming to my house so I’ll also be preparing the turkey & mashed potatoes. Then we’ll break out Rockband & test our musical skills or lack of

49. CindyD

We have always had my husband’s homemade cranberry sauce, but sadly not this year – his diverticulitis is acting up and the cranberry skins and the nuts would bother him. (Did you know name brand cranberry sauce is 14 oz cans instead of 16 now?) I will make our traditional pumpkin pie, my mother’s recipe, which is a pumpkin custard pie.
    I’m actually cooking turkey this week, freezing some for Thanksgiving, then another turkey with all the sides on Dec 1st when our daughter arrives home from three months in Australia.

50. Meagan

Pumpkin pie. I make it with just 1% milk, none of that canned stuff. It makes the pie too rubbery. We like ours more like a soft but firm pudding texture that melts in your mouth. The recipe comes from the Lake Shore Pumpkin can, which I think you can only get here in Western NY. So delicious!

51. Terri J

This year, besides the traditional chocolate pecan pie and apple pie, I’m making pumpkin baked alaska: gingerbread base with pumpkin spice ice cream from a local orchard. Since I’m the only one who really loves pumpkin pie, I’ll make that on Friday or Saturday to enjoy with the leftovers. And this week, I’m baking a lot of whole wheat sourdough bread for the stuffing.

52. Vicki Williams

In my family, we alternate having Christmas & Thanksgiving with in-laws and parents. Luckily all my sister’s and I are on the same schedule so we can have the complete family there. This year is Thanksgiving with my parents. When we have Thanksgiving with them the entire Family goes camping for 5 days.

This year there will be 20 of us and we will have the usual Thanksgiving feast. As we’ve added brother’s-in-law we’ve had to add a few things to what we’ve always had for Thanksgiving. And since we are camping, our turkey preparation method has changed since turkeys don’t fit in the camper ovens!

So, our 2 turkeys will be done in the turkey fryer. Then we’ll have Cornbread Dressing, my mom’s Turkey Stuffing (50 years she’s been making it). Our jello salad will be a Coca-cola salad. Then Sweet Potato Casserole with EXTRA topping, green beans, mashed potatoes & gravy, canned cranberry sauce, a fruit salad called Bessie’s Fruit salad that my grama always made and (for me at least) is the most unnegotiable item of all! My mom used to make it with her mom while growing up. It has miracle whip, sugar, lemon juice, oranges, apples, bananas, pecans, coconut and grapes. You make it at least 2 hours before you eat it and mmmmmmmm…..and then the left overs for breakfast, oh my……

Plus 2 apple pies, 2 pumpkin pies and 2 pecan pies. The only thing we make before we go camping is the cornbread for the cornbread dressing and the pecan pies. Everything else we fix and cook in the campground.

Every dish does have a person who is “known” for it. Thanksgiving morning the entire family helps prepare the food. Cutting, chopping, making, cleaning up, taking things to the various campers to cook, etc. All the kids get to participate and they have a lot of fun memories of making apple pies, fruit salad, etc at the picnic table in the campground. Good thing all the kids like it since there are 6 boys and 2 girls and we need all the help we can get to feed adults, children and teenage boys!

It is much more complicated juggling cooking in tiny little camper ovens but I wouldn’t trade those Thanksgivings for just a one day rush rush event. All the camaraderie and fun. At least if you spill things on the floor you don’t have to wash the floor, just scrape it up so it doesn’t attract yellow jackets!

The one major trade-off since we began the camping Thanksgiving Holiday has been no Vicki’s Rolls which I always made for Thanksgiving. That was a non-negotiable at one time. However, making rolls while camping, for 20 people… It just isn’t going to happen! And with the competition for the ovens, reheating them without burning them and in a timely fashion hasn’t been figured out yet either. I may make a loaf or two of bread to take with us. It depends on how much I get done ahead of time.

But we’ll have fun – bread or no bread, rolls or no rolls because FAMILY RULES!

Vicki, this is fascinating – you must be (hopefully) down South someplace, so you’re not also doing all of this in the snow! Thanks for your wonderful sory here – and you’re right – FAMILY RULES for sure. PJH

53. Lish

There are seferal things we make every year. But the important part isn’t what we make, but who with. My mom and I always make the pies. It used to be pecan, pumpkin, apple, and my personal fave, lemon meringue. Now that we have fewer people at the table and most of them are diabetic we make a wonderful crustless pumpkin pie, and a whole wheat apple crisp. My dad and I always make the Casavant stuffing. It is a French Canadian meat and potato stuffing, and it only tastes right if we make it together. Even though I am a mom of two, married with my own home, we still make these together the day before Thanksgiving, so that Thursday morning we are all able to watch the parade together with the kids. I love the continuity combined with new ideas every year.

Lish, I love that you value the process as much as the product. Keep it up – carry it forward, as they say… PJH

54. cher

It has to pumpkin pie with brown sugar merengue and pineapple waffle bake (think bread pudding made with waffles on steroids!)

55. Carol

I have to make a sweet potato dish (no marshmallows allowed) that we started making about 10 years ago. It has a yummy pecan topping, and the best part is it’s a light version of a previously fattening dish, but it tastes wonderful.

56. Dana

Thanksgiving, along with all holidays, is at our home, so I get to cook! Like most families, we have our traditional favorites, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, sweet potatoes or butternut squash, strawberry jello salad (has a cream cheese filling), raw vegetable plate, scalloped corn (sometimes with oysters) and homemade rolls. It just isn’t a holiday unless everything is made from scratch, so I end up making most of the food. Of course, for dessert we have apple pie and pumpkin pie with either homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. I am so tired by the time the dishes are done, but never happier. When the little ones go down for a nap, the older kids play games. The guys are watching football and our home is FULL of love and thanks for all we have.

57. Bridgid

chocolate pecan pie, apple pie (mom makes it better than me, even though I use her recipe) and pumpkin pie. I think I have been making the chocolate pecan for 20 years now.

58. Ariel

My mom always takes care of the turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. For the past two years the rest is up to me. From the time I was 11, I always made twice baked potatoes. But last year, I finally switched it up and made sweet potatoes with balsamic onions and parm. This year I’m planning on stealing the cranberry sauce from my mom and making cranberry chutney instead. Some sort of cranberry bread is always requested, and the only dessert request is that I make it, though it is typically a gooey pie or crisp with apples and whatever else I feel like throwing in. I was going to do variation of the King Arthur Applesauce cake, but with homemade spiced applesauce. I couldn’t resist and made it last week instead (it makes a great coffee cake with crumbs and almonds and cane sugar on top) so now its back to the drawing board. Keep the suggestions coming on the blog!

59. Trish

Just baked a batch of Outback Honey Wheat Bread loaves (copycat recipe of the bread served at Outback Restaurants), and will be baking an apple pie, in addition to making a large portion of Thanksgiving dinner. It’s been a tradition since we moved to Florida to host Thanksgiving dinner, and the in-laws, plus some friends, come here for dinner. Usually everyone contributes something, so we make the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and pies (husband Kevin makes the pumpkin pies).

60. Weaver

Our must have’s for the Thanksgiving feast are stuffing (actually, a dressing for us since I don’t put it in the bird but I like calling it stuffing :)), mushroom gravy (we soak dried mushrooms to use instead of turkey drippings so that vegetarians can eat it too) and buckeyes (my grandma always made them before Thanksgiving and when my brother and I got to set the table for 28, we got to put one at every plate. My Grandma doesn’t make them anymore so I always mail her a few of mine :)).

On the slab apple pie, my husband calls them boots. I know, very strange but here’s the why. As a kid, when he worked at his Boy Scout camp, his mom would send him this pie in an old boot box. Treats from home were always fair game for sharing, but no one ever asked to “share” the hubby’s “boots” :) Almost 20 years later and he still asks for “boots” every fall

Well – I just learned something new. Didn’t know it was “dressing” outside the bird, and “stuffing” inside! Thanks – and thanks for the story about the “boots” – I’ll think of it when I make my first “slab”! :) PJH

61. Pat

I’ll be making a Pumpkin Custard Torte. The first step to to create two pumpkin breads. Then line a springform pan’s side and bottom with thin slices of this bread. Cube the remaining bread and toss in some walnuts and dried cranberries. Fill the prepared pan with this mixture. FInally, make a custard sauce, pour it into the pan, then bake until the custard is set.

Now THAT sounds really good…. I just printed out an earlier commenter’s pumpkin bread recipe. I hope I get a chance to try this… Thanks for sharing, Pat – PJH

62. Sandy

I have several items that are a must each Thanksgiving….Grits and Sausage Dressing, Scalloped Pineapple, Mushroom Pie (for the vegetarians) and of course, Pumpkin Pie! By the way…was at the KAF store this past Thursday (was in NH visiting the grandkids) and bought a ton of stuff to be shipped home to NC!

Sandy, hope you enjoyed your visit here – we’ve been having nice weather for November, that’s for sure. I love how you can shop and then they ship it for you – so convenient when you’re on vacation, eh? Thanks for sharing – PJH

63. Megan

At 23, I am a budding baker and cook. A couple weeks ago I made “Soft White Dinner Rolls” for dinner at my parents’ and my mom demanded that I make them for Thanksgiving! I am also making the cranberry sauce (a cranberry pomegranate terrine). This will be my first Thanksgiving contribution and I am thrilled.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Thanksgiving food prep, Megan – may you bake people happy for many years to come! PJH

64. Libby

The darned pumpkin pie. I didn’t do it one Thanksgiving, and boy did I hear about it from my brother. In fact I still hear about it. The reason I didn’t is that I was just very bad at pies (the crusts). But I have worked on them all summer (and whined about pie stuff on my blog) and now I do much better. A really nice coconut cream pie was a recent triumph.

The family seems to like homemade pumpkin pie over storebought, and they CAN tell the difference. So in years past they would have still preferred my “patchwork pumpkin pie” – sometimes the crust had to be pieced together from a half dozen pieces. This year I plan to have my pie magazine cover perfect as well as tasting good. I hope ;-)

Libby, it must be your name that makes everyone demand pumpkin pie from you, right? :) And you know what I always say – filling covers a world of pie crust sins… PJH

65. MaryJane

I just had to chime in and say how much I am enjoying reading all the comments and the “oh, yeah I hear ya on that one” feeling. I am required to make a half sheet pan’s worth of rolls not so much for eating at dinner, though we do, but for making mini sandwiches for dinner that night and the next day.
    We’re really scaling back on Thanksgiving this year as my DH David is having back surgery the week before, but we have plans to make our Christmas dinner into Thanksgiving already. I’m totally addicted to the chocolate cream pie at our local diner (Hi Elsie!) so I may buy a whole one for dessert, and spend my day catering to his majesty’s whims!
    ~MaryJane

66. twyla

When I’m with my family they have to have my broccoli and cheese casserole. It’s not my favorite thing to make since it’s so simple and easy but they’ll rebel without it. This year though, we are with the in laws and someone else is doing that. I’m taking (twiced baked) roasted potatoes and an inside out german chocolate cake from epicurious that’s amazingly good.

67. Kathy

It’s funny, but at age 31, I still don’t have HAVE to bring anything to family Thanksgiving feasts — older relatives continue to make enough food to feed an army and insist that I need not bring a thing! However, what I have brought has varied. This year, it’ll be decided through collaboration with a few members of my boyfriend’s family (as that’s who I’ll be with for the weekend) and the main squeeze himself. His sister-in-law is a fellow avid cook and baker, so we have only begun to rub our hands gleefully and plot our starchy, sugary invasion.

That said, I made a pan of fleur de sel caramels last night to cut, wrap, and share with his family. There will be more… oh yes, there will be more.

Kathy, you hit my hot button – fleur de sel caramels, YES. I’ll be over next Thursday – :) PJH

68. Kim

At my family’s Thanksgiving table, we have our traditional cranberry salad that is to die for – it’s my grandma’s recipe. We also have an unusual turkey dressing – it’s a sweet dressing with apples, currants, celery, saltine cracker crumbs and cinnamon. It’s fabulous. (No sage, croutons or Stouffer’s for this family!) As for me, I usually make apple cranberry and pumpkin pies, but this year I’m too busy so I’m only making a pumpkin. My mom is making the apple.

69. Nancie

This year, it’s Pumpkin Cheesecake and a family favorite. I mom always made a potato dish we called grated creamy potatoes. She never had a written recipe, it was always from her memory. Basically she would grate russet potatoes into a pot of water with powdered milk(enough liquid to cover the potatoes), flour, butter, season with salt, pepper and Mrs. dash. She would cook it slowly on the stove top, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes were done and the mixture was thick. Let it stand for at least 20 minutes to let it continue to thicken. These are everyone’s absolute favorite potatoes and we always had them on Holidays. I have been practicing every year to get them perfect and I’m getting close! As leftovers they are fabulous!

70. Victor Morrison

Baking powder biscuits… everyone wants them and especially wants to leftovers for turkey/cranberry sandwiches for the days that follow!

71. Amanda

As a singleton who still heads over to her parents’ for Thanksgiving, I don’t have any regular dishes requested of me. But I thought this year I’d give pumpkin eggnog cheesecake a go. Boiled apple cider is also in my KA order that should arrive this Wednesday, so maybe I’ll see about doing an apple pie as well.

72. Trisha from NJ

I have the bring the cranberry-orange-apple relish each year. At home I make sweet potato biscuits from the leftovers. My family thinks they sound so yummy I have to bring the fixins to Thanksgiving this year.

73. djc

Since I’m a Brit living in LA, I don’t really have a set of personal Thanksgiving favorites, but a Christmas favorite for me is mincemeat pie made from Delia Smith’s recipe. http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/mincemeat/home-made-christmas-mincemeat.html

The mincemeat itself is a great make ahead as it can be canned, I usually put up six pints. When she mentions vegetarian suet – not sure what that is, but I’ve used Crisco successfully. As an alternative to baking it in the oven, it can also be made in the slow cooker on low for about 8 hours, in which case you don’t have to let it sit for 12 hours beforehand.

74. suemac

We have a fairly consistent Thanksgiving menu; Mom always says “let’s not make so much this year”, but then it seems that everything on the menu is a ‘must-have’ lol! We have turkey, gravy & mashed potatoes, of course, but aren’t particular about how they’re done. Our special recipes are Mom’s dressing (half bread, half cornbread, very moist w/lots of sage), Grandma’s potato rolls and Aunt Myrtle’s pecan pie – no variations allowed with those! We’ve added Champagne Oranges recently, a totally easy, but fantastic treat: http://www.recipezaar.com/Chagne-Oranges-21800. I also have to make a fresh cranberry relish – http://www.cgv.com/up/file/Miss_Grimmetts_Cranberry_Relish_V.pdf – that is to die for; I keep it throughout the holidays and munch on it indiscriminately.

Fun thread – it’s interesting to see what everyone else eats for the holidays

75. Steph

My grandmother always made grapenut pudding in the green bowl. I think she brought that family tradition with her from New Brunswick. I now have the green bowl, and therefore the responsibility for supplying the grapenut pudding whether I’m there or not for Thanksgiving dinner!

76. samanthasmom

I don’t want to sound like a Thanksgiving Scrooge, but my favorite Thanksgivings have been the ones where we have given our children our blessing to spend the holiday away from us, and my husband and I have been all alone for Thanksgiving. We have our children near to us all year so if their parents-in-law want them for the holiday, we’d be selfish to complain. Once we sent our daughter on a “mission of mercy” to spend the holiday with a friend who couldn’t get home. Neither one of us is especially fond of turkey so dinner might be a prime rib or lobster. Dessert varies from year to year. Maybe a decadent chocolate mousse or crème brulee. We spend the weekend resting up for Christmas, which does take place at our house, when both children come here, they bring their in-laws with them! This year we are breaking with tradition and joining some friends for Thanksgiving. I’m in charge of dessert for 15. It will be a great deal of fun to bake for everyone, but it is amusing how many phone calls and emails I’m getting asking, “You are going to bake such and such, aren’t you? It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without it.” Where I would be inclined to make a pear and pumpkin torte with caramelized pumpkin seeds, the pie I’m being asked to make is the one from the back of the Libby’s can. I’ll do both, and maybe I can jazz up the traditions a little for next year.

77. Alissa

Usually, I make everything, but this year we are spending it at my mom’s and half the people we are spending it with are on a diet or just plain picky. So while they are making Weight Watchers pumpkin pie, I will be making your new butter pull-apart rolls and probably an apple pie. But I don’t eat either pie so hopefully I can make something else, say that chocolate pecan one or the mini chocolate caramel pecan ones on your site.
    The one item I am planning on making but not baking is an orange, spiced walnut and cranberry salad. Salad in a basic sense not a jello sense. Sliced oranges, sugared and spiced walnuts sprinkled on top, with a reduction of cranberry juice and dried cranberries on top. It’s a new recipe for me so hope it tastes good. If I luck out, I can convince them to have gingerbread waffles over the weekend, with lemon curd, of course.

78. Lisa

Oh my, everything sounds just amazing, out of all the posts, Bee’s post of 11/14 at 9:01 pm is sticking with me. The Carmelized Apple Brioch Bread Pudding sounds amazing. I can only hope Bee will see my post and maybe share the recipe.

79. Yvonne

HEy there,
    Well, it wouldn’t be a Thanksgiving gathering if we didn’t have Grammy’s molasses popcorn balls, grapenut pudding and apple cobbler.
    Yum!

80. Lyna

To Anna in Kenya–what are the local celebration or holiday foods? Maybe you’ll find a receipe to bring home and add to the must-have list for the memories.

81. Liz from Ocean County, NJ

I just had to comment on Green Stuff, Pink Stuff, Green Goop, etc. My family has been making a dessert for years that we just call “Glop.” Nobody remembers the real name; it’s been Glop for so long. I think my father dubbed it that because it had a tendency to fall apart and just glop all over the dish when served.

It’s a graham cracker crust topped with a mixture of cream cheese and Dream Whip (maybe some other things – I’m not usually the one making it) and finished with a can of pie filling (our family prefers cherry). It’s a no bake dessert so it’s great for the summer but my one sister likes to make it for every family function. My dad always used to ask for it and now my nieces and nephews ask my sister to make it.

For Thanksgiving, I will probably bake apple and pumpkin pies. Just over a week away and my husband and I still don’t know where we are going for dinner. Maybe we’ll stay home in which case my must make is my mother’s stuffing: bread crumbs, chopped onion, seasoning and pork breakfast sausage. I’ll probably throw a loaf of (pseudo) Swedish Limpa bread in the bread machine. I’m still trying to recreate the bread we used to get in a local bakery in my hometown of Brooklyn, NY. It was dark and slightly sweet with a hint of orange and maybe cardamom and made the BEST leftover turkey sandwiches. I wish I could find their exact recipe; I’ve found lots that are close but not quite the same thing.

82. Jenn in Willi CT

I already tested the your Soft White dinner rolls this weekend, but may now have the try the Golden Pull Apart Butter ones too! My brother in law is craving cream puffs – which I used to make all the time, but haven’t made in ages – so I guess I’ll be bringing those. My husband wants the Honey Wheat rolls, so I’ll be making those as well. I’ve been lucky to spend all of my 39 years with my family for T Day – but now mom & dad have moved to NC and my sister is going there with her kids, so hubby and I will spend time with his family instead.

I noticed Brenda’s post about the Jello – we called it Jello Salad – with strawberries, bananas & pineapple – I hate Jello but love this stuff. The only difference is we never have this time of year – only in the summer for cookouts. It goes great with burger, dogs and potato salad.

Another thing I may have to bring is my mom’s stuffed celery. My husband’s family always has one with clams and cream cheese (eewww!) but we always had one with cream cheese, marischino cherries and walnuts. Mom was a cake decorator, so this mixture was piped into the celery stalks in a beatiful fashion. Weird, but yummy!

I definitely got my love of baking from my mom. It is relaxing for me, and I while I don’t decorate for the holidays, I will bake. Christmas is usually at least 16 different cookies (5-10 dozen of each!) as well as fudge & spiced nuts. I love your blog, but it is making my holiday baking decisions even more difficult this year. :-) I’ll be sitting down with my stack of printed recipes on Black Friday to make out my shopping list of baking supplies that I haven’t already ordered from KA!

83. Deirdre

I always make pumpkin pie as it is a favorite in our household. Not sure which recipe. This year I will make sure not to burn it. We also do a dessert party for friends so I can indulge my love of dessert making. I will definitely be making the chocolate chunk pecan pie and Indian pudding (a personal favorite). Perhaps one more but not sure yet what it will be. Might also do some bread making but haven’t yet decided. It is a great time of year for baking!

84. Beth

There is no “one” thing that I have to make for Thanksgiving dinner, but I think the family would riot if I didn’t make the cornbread-sausage dressing, a recipe that I found in Southern Living (from 1987, I think) years ago. As soon as I dig it up, I’ll post it. I think the correct title for it is: Texas Cornbread Sausage Dressing. I also must make sweet potato pie that is decorated with pecan pieces and whipped cream. At least one of the kids would be very upset if I didn’t make pecan pie too. If you can believe it, last year was the first year I made the infamous green bean casserole.

Maybe one of these days my sons’ wives and/or girlfriends will learn to bake at least something to bring to the Thanksgiving table… or (hint, hint… help me clean up afterwards).
    Oh Beth, all that work and no help with clean up? Time to get creative and try hints like “I’m having such a great time talking with you, let’s chat more as we wash up” or
    “wow, the mountain of dishes seems to grow each year, I’m so glad you’re here to help me out”. Hope they take the hints! ~ MaryJane

85. Kyle Minor

We hosted Thanksgiving at our house for several years running, and I developed what I think is a fool-proof method for Turkey! I had to cobble it together from several sources, but I never failed to be delighted by the results.

Because we have a good friend who is gluten free, I also devised a method of making gravy w/o flour.

You can see it all, and more here if you like:

This year we’re going to two dinners! I’m supplying dessert for one, and a salad for the other. @Susan Teddler… eleven pies is cutting back? Wow. That’s incredible.

86. Carol

One year I received a bread maker and a cook book. Now every year I make at least a dozen loaves of cranberry/nut bread. If I don’t bring the bread to Thanksgiving, I can’t come! :) This year I’m experimenting with Apricot/Pecan Bread. Hopefully that will go over as well.

87. Mary Boldman

We will be celebrating with my brother & wife this year. Since we travel the longest distance, 2 hours, I am asked to bring whatever can be transported successfully – vegtable tray with cheeses and my home made pickles (my mother’s recipe), fresh fruit salad and something cranberry. This year I am trying a new cranberry sauce that is cooked with dried cherries. The mention of mincemeat pie brings back alot of memories. My Mother used to make mincemeat and true mincement is made with meat. She would slow roast the meat and then finely chop and grind it. To the meat mixture she added chopped apples, currents, oranges, lemons, citron and raisins as well as spices and cider. The smell of it cooking was heavenly. Another familly tradition is scalloped oysters.
    HI Mary,
    I remember as a kid that my husband’s family always served a pickle tray at Thanksgiving. It was something I had never seen before and will always be a clear Thanksgiving memory for me. Your traditions sound delicious! ~ MaryJane

88. Rachel

My favorite TG recipe is a savory one – Leek Bread Pudding baked in muffin tins…SO good! I’m attending a TG dinner and hosting a post-TG ‘never too late’ dinner on 12-5 – so I’ll make it twice!

89. Heather

Pumpkin pie, made with fresh pumpkin purée. None of that canned stuff in my house! I have cheated with butternut squash in the past, when I forgot to buy a pie pumpkin in advance (they’re impossible to find here after October). This year, I bought a 14-pound fairytale pumpkin, roasted and pureed it, and froze enough to make at least 6 pies, so I’m all set! My hubby of one month hates cinnamon, so I’ve got to tweak the spices…but at our friend’s Thanksgiving pre-party this past weekend, there weren’t even any crumbs left, so I guess nobody minded! Will tweak a bit more for real Thanksgiving, though :)
    Hi Heather,
    I know you TRIED to sneak it in there, but we noticed. CONGRATULATIONS NEWLYWED! Have a great holiday. :)
    Happy Baking ~ MaryJane

90. Jen

I will be baking Walnut Rolls and Buttermilk Potato Rolls. Mom does the turkey, which is just an excuse to eat all the yummy side dishes…my favorite is corn pudding, which sounds weird but is actually quite tasty!