Putting it into reverse: Faux-Reos redux

img_5844

Inside out. Mirror image.

However you look at it, this fudge-filled vanilla cookie is a 180° twist on America’s favorite store-bought cookie, the Oreo.

A line extension, so to speak, of our original Oreo clone: the Faux-Reo. And its evil (calorically speaking) twin, the Faux Joe-Joe. As well as a bald-faced copy of the “Uh-Oh! Oreo,” one of Nabisco’s variations on their oh-so-popular original theme.

Once the first new Oreo (DoubleStuf) hit the shelves, it was only a matter of time before we began to see seasonal Oreos. Orange-filled Oreos for Halloween. Red for Christmas. Purple (yes, purple) for spring.

The white-on-white Golden Oreo; the milk-chocolate-covered mint Oreo. Cakesters, including Nilla Cakesters, “coming soon to a cookie aisle near you.”

Oreo ice cream cones. Oreo pie crust. The fun just never ends.

In fact, if you go to oreo.com, you can see the full range of Oreo products – at last count, 49  of ’em. Including (who knew? ) organic Oreos.

Now I promise you, I’ll never come close to matching Nabisco’s lineup with my homemade knockoffs. But Reverse Faux-Reos are a logical next step.

So why not go ahead and buy “Uh-Ohs,” you ask? Because it’s just such fun to figure out how to make your own.

And, let’s face it – you can never have too many crunchy vanilla cookies filled with rich chocolate ganache in your recipe repertoire.

img_5774.JPG

Two characteristics distinguish these cookies: their flavor, and texture. Since vanilla is the key taste, make sure you use a full-flavored vanilla. My favorite is “Crush,” laced with shredded vanilla pods and seeds. (The manufacturer, Sonoma Syrup, also donates a portion of its sales to breast cancer research. Thanks, Dave!)

And for a cookie fully able to retain its crunch while sandwiched around a moist, rich filling – ammonium carbonate, a.k.a. baker’s ammonia.

Can you make these cookies without baker’s ammonia? Sure; they just won’t be quite as wonderfully crunchy.

img_5779.JPG

See what I mean about the shredded pods and seeds? When you’re looking for elegant-looking flecks in your vanilla stuff (think vanilla bean ice cream), Crush is a great choice.

Let’s begin. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line with parchment.

img_5781.JPG

Combine 2 to 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon baker’s ammonia (or 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder), and 1 teaspoon salt in a very small bowl. Stir to dissolve the ammonia; the salt won’t fully dissolve.

If you use baking powder in place of baker’s ammonia, you can skip this dissolving step.

img_5782.JPG

Combine the vanilla mixture with 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar and 1 cup softened unsalted butter.

img_5783.JPG

Beat till smooth.

img_5784.JPG

Add 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, mixing till fully combined. The mixture may seem quite dry at first. Continue beating until the dough comes together.

This is a good time to talk about measuring flour. It’s winter right now, which means your flour is at its driest; and that, with the possibility that you’re heavy-handed when measuring your flour, may mean  the dough will be too dry, and never come together. Please read our tip on how to measure flour; you’ll find a video link there, as well.

Of course, if you have a scale, you can bypass the technicalities and just dump everything right into the mixing bowl, no measuring cup required.

img_5785.JPG

Scoop the dough into 1”-diameter, 3/8-ounce balls. A level teaspoon cookie scoop works perfectly here.

img_5788.JPG

Space the balls on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2” between them. I’m using my new best friend in the kitchen here, our USA Pans large cookie sheet.

img_5789.JPG

Use the bottom of a glass, dipped in sugar if necessary to prevent sticking, to flatten the balls to about 1/4” thick. If you have it, use the end of the food pusher from a food processor.

img_5790.JPG

Many of these pushers have a circular, ridged pattern on their end, which imprints the cookies with a nice design.

img_5794.JPG

Bake the cookies until they’re set, and a very light golden brown around the edges, about 15 minutes.

img_5798.JPG

Remove them from the oven, and leave them right on the pan to cool, as you make the filling.

img_5800.JPG

Now was that the perfect size pan for these cookies, or what?

img_5802.JPG

Place the following into a large microwave-safe bowl, or into a large saucepan:

2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional but good
3/4 cup heavy cream

img_5804.JPG

Heat the mixture till it’s very hot; the cream will start to form bubbles. Remove from the heat, and stir until smooth.

img_5805.JPG

Don’t panic if the ganache (yes, that’s basically what this is: chocolate ganache) seems gloppy and uncooperative at first.

img_5806.JPG

Just keep stirring; all will be well.

img_5807.JPG

Next, sift 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar into a mixing bowl. Yes, sift it; you don’t want lumpy filling, do you? I seldom sift anything, but in this case, it’s worth it.

Don’t have a sifter? Simply shake the sugar through a sieve.

img_5809.JPG

Add the chocolate to the sugar, beating till smooooooooth.

img_5810.JPG

Well, PRETTY smooth; I see there are still a few lumpy flecks here. No matter. Scoop up about 4 teaspoons of filling; a tablespoon cookie scoop, filled to just below the rim, works very well here.

img_5814.JPG

Dollop the filling onto the flat (bottom) side of a cookie, spreading it to within about 1/2” of the edges of the cookie, if necessary.

img_5815.JPG

Top with a plain cookie…

img_5813.JPG

…pressing down gently to push the filling out to the edges.

img_5837.JPG

Place the cookies on a rack, or back on the cookie sheet, so the icing can set.

img_5842.JPG

And yes, they’re every bit as tasty as they look. For best freshness, wrap in plastic and store at room temperature.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Reverse Faux-Reos.

food-bank-jan-18-2010-011.jpg

In honor of Martin Luther King Day this past Monday, King Arthur Flour employee-owners participated in a range of community service projects, including working at a Vermont food bank…

img_8809.JPG

…cleaning and painting a homeless shelter…

img_8988.JPG

…and doing carpentry (preceded by shoveling snow!) in a Habitat for Humanity house in neighboring New Hampshire.

img_8929.JPG

Many employees chose to bake bread, which was then donated to a local shelter; and distributed at a dinner for our needy neighbors.

img_6739.JPG

Three times a year, we prepare dinner for folks needing a hot meal, as part of a larger community-wide program. We’re proud to say that King Arthur Flour dinners are some of the best-attended, due to the generosity of our menu – everything from appetizers to desserts. But then… we have a 220-year-old reputation for “doing the right thing” to uphold.

Did you know that King Arthur Flour regularly hired Irish workers at its headquarters in Boston back in the 1920s, when “Irish Need Not Apply” was the standard sign you’d see on the door of any business?

Did you know that King Arthur Flour sold flour to Jewish shopkeepers Max and Joseph Rabinovitz back in 1913, when no other Boston vendors would do business with them? The Rabinovitzes founded the Economy Grocery Company – which went on to become one of New England’s largest supermarket chains, Stop & Shop.

Did you know that King Arthur Flour is now owned by us, its 167 employee-owners? And that we’re proud of our history, and continue our centuries-old traditions of ethical business practices and community support?

Can you tell we’re happy to work here?

And what did we get for our volunteer day of dinner-making, bread-baking, stocking shelves, cleaning, painting, and carpentry? (Aside from the satisfaction of helping our neighbors, of course.)

img_6675.JPG

Reverse Faux-Reos, of course. Looks like a grand time was had by all.

comments

1. Emma

I’m sold. On the cookies and on the company. Can you give me a job? :) I’ll relocate!

Emma, we hire on and off all year. Keep your eye on our jobs board – right now we have two openings. C’mon up! PJH

2. Collette

This really makes me smile. Nope, not the Reverse Faux-Reos though they look lovely. Your company’s community service and history makes me smile. (And I actually just got back from the store with 2 bags of KA flour! Perfect timing.) So thank you.

And thank you, Collette, for baking with us. Cheers! PJH

3. tia

that’s awesome that you guys are owners too and it’s obvious how much you enjoy working there. i wish all work environments were as wonderful :) consider yourself lucky!

We absolutely do consider ourselves lucky, Tia, believe me. I started working here 20 years ago, and hope I can stay till I’m old and gray. Hey, wait a minute – I’m already (pretty) old and (kinda) gray! :) PJH

4. Kat DeFonce

I just love these cookies and can’t wait to try them! I’m also sold on the company – King Arthur Flour! I’ve bought nothing elser buyt KA Flour for the past 30+ years.

Thank you SO much, Kat – I bought my first bag of KA in 1973 (I remember because I was cooking on my own in college, and decided to try “the bag with the horse.”) So I guess I’m quite a long-time user, too. When you find a good thing – stick with it. I always say, I can’t afford the biggest diamond, or the best car, or the most extravagant vacation – but I CAN afford the best flour in the world. :) PJH

5. HilarieMae

I’ve been following your blog religiously for about two months now and I love it! This cookie going to make an appearance at my next tea party and I can’t wait. I have no doubt that it’s going to be a huge hit. Keep up the amazing work!!!

Thanks, HilarieMae – these are quite good, and I love how the cookie part stays crunchy, and the filling smooth and soft. Don’t skimp on the vanilla, that’s my advice – the contrast with the dark chocolate is OO-LA-LA! PJH

6. Janene

The cookies look fab! It’s always good to give back to our community and I’m pleased to see that KAF continues to “do the right thing”. Part of my family is Irish (came over after the potato famine) and have heard stories of “Irish Need Not Apply”. I already knew your company was filled with good folks, but you just re-affirmed it again.

My grandfather came over from Donegal, Janene, around 1910 – and thankfully didn’t run into that in Philadelphia. And yes, I’m proud KA has been carrying the banner for fair and equal treatment for these past couple of centuries. Thanks for your kind comments. PJH

7. linda

such an interesting post pjh!
    i loved all the “tidbits” about kaf…what a rich history.
    it is so rewarding not only for you & your colleagues but,
    for all your readers to understand where kaf “came from”
    & how you all are keeping up the grand traditions & giving back
    to the community.
    i support your efforts (by shopping online) & applaud kaf for continuing
    to strive for excellence in your products (which i truly think are fabulous)
    & to reward us with such wonderful blogging & recipes!
    …now i am going to get my food processor “pusher” & being prepping
    reverse faux-reos!!

Thanks so much, Linda. It’s a privilege to work here, and I realize it. Have fun with the “faux” – isn’t that pusher a good idea? PJH

8. Nicole

could I use Nielsen-Massey vanilla bean paste instead? That’s what I have at home. If so how many teaspoon or tablespoon do I use?

If I’m going to be using baking powder instead of baker’s amonia, is the measurement 1:1?

Nicole, sure, vanilla bean paste is awesome. I’d use a teaspoon. The recipe gives you the specific amount of baking powder: 1 1/2 teaspoons. Enjoy – PJH

9. Terri A.

Vanilla dreams have become my all time favorite cookie. I like them plain or the chocolate nut version. These look great, too. I might add a small layer of peanut butter before putting on the ganache. Thanks for another great recipe!

Or then again, Terri — PB filling, chocolate coating? OK, that’s 3 – only 46 more to catch up to Oreos! PJH

10. Bee

Ooooo…These cookies look so good! I made lots of sandwich cookies during the holidays, and this one will definitely be added to the list. I like to “squish” my fillings all the way to the edge of the cookie, and then roll the edges in chopped toasted nuts..makes them fancy!!

Bee, so right – these are definitely a candidate for that trick. You might want to overfill them a bit to make a wider area to cover with nuts. Hope they make the cut next holiday season! PJH

11. Marianna

Oh how I love a vanilla cookie with a chocolate filling. When I look at these, I actually think more of a Milano than an Oreo. I guess I need to bake them and do a taste test! ;). I am so glad I have some baker’s ammonia in the cupboard. I love the results I get with it in my cookies. I will be trying the recipe with vanilla bean paste, too. I have been baking with KA flour for at least 28 years and shopping your catalogue about 20 years. The more I get to know about the “mission” and the people behind the products, the more I respect you and shop with you to support your endeavors. Thank you all for understanding that people and communities matter!

Marianna, thanks for your loyalty – bet you’re one of our first customers. We started the catalogue in 1990. These cookies aren’t quite as dark chocolate-y as Milano, but also more vanilla-y – give ‘em a try, see what you think. PJH

12. Allison

I had the good fortune of sampling these cookies while doing the volunteer bread baking earlier this week, and they were SO good! Thanks for another great recipe!

Thank YOU, Allison, for participating in our company-wide breadbake – baking fresh bread for local charities. The Jan. 18 Day of Service is a great way to use our gifts for the benefit of others. Irene @ KAF

13. Moxie (Young Fogey)

I can sense through your blogs that you love working at KAF. There is such happiness that comes out in everyone’s writing. What a great company.

You betcha, YF – every company has its ups and downs, but we seem to be able to work together to both ride the rapids and enjoy the smooth sailing. I think it has a lot to do with employee ownership – we’re not beholden to some faraway stockholders… just ourselves. We work for the people on our team, the bakers in the bakery, the folks loading boxes and selling flour and doing the bookwork. We’re all in this together. Thanks for your kind words- PJH

14. Sandy

How about using Nutella for the filling?

This sounds delicious, but may be a bit soft – you don’t want the layers to slide apart. You might also consider a filling used in the Walnut Cookies. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

Yes, I endorse that suggestion heartily – what a wonderful all-purpose filling! Thanks, Sandy – PJH

15. FRAN S

A couple of tecnical questions:
    1. Could I use a slice and bake method here; roll the dough into a log, chill and slice?
    2. What would happen if I scooped but did not flatten?
    3. Is rice flour sometimes used in cookies to make them crispy?
    I vaguely remember seing it called for in some shortbread receipes.
    When I made the faux reos I dipped my glass in cocoa to prevent sticking but it left a bitter residue on the cookie.
    Thanks for your help.

Hi Fran:
    1. I’d guess so… don’t see why not. I never liked that method, as my rolls are always misshapen and I think it’s much more trouble than it’s worth. But go for it, if you like doing it.
    2. Don’t know – try it. They may just be a bit puffier and taller.
    3. Rice flour is sometimes used in cookies to make them tender; since it doesn’t have gluten, it makes for a lower-gluten (read: tender) dry mixture. It may add a slight bit of “gritty” crispness, but it’s more to lower the gluten, I think.
    4. Try refrigerating the cookie balls on the sheet before flattening; then you probably won’t need to sprinkle with cocoa.
    Good luck – PJH

16. fer

I am so impressed w/ all your community service projects. It makes me proud that I always insist on buying KA flour in the grocery store. And now I need to get together a mail order for the wonderful things you have that aren’t available in the local stores.

17. Marcia

I think a sample of this cookie would be perfect at the Atlanta demos! I look forward to coming. If the chocolate had a little mint; I would not object.

I subscribed to Baking Sheet for many years. But, being type 2 diabetic it was too much, as I tried most every recipe. Now, all these years later, cooking for one, I enjoy your “banter” as I participate in virtual baking.

A recipe for 2 once in awhile would be nice. Or, maybe a link to a downsized recipe.
    Thanks for sharing Marcia. Would you believe I have “small” recipes on my blog list for some time in 2010? Just gotta find the time! ~ MaryJane

18. Rosemary Capitolo

Your company is awesome!!! I knew this before I read all the facts today that were unknown to me. Not only do you have an excellent product, but your customer service is unbelievable. I had a problem with some candied cherries that oozed out of the container and the problem was taken care of immediatly, and a new shipment sent out. I used to have to get my ammonium carbonate from the druggist and then crush it myself, (I often felt like I was doing something illegal) until I found it on your web site. Once again, I could make an old family recipe. THIS recipe looks sinful, therefore I must make it right away. Thanks again for all you do.

Glad we can help, Rosemary – PJH

19. Claire from Jersey

I just have one thing to say because everyone else here has posted my sentiments already! I LOVE YOU!!!

I always buy KAF, too. And my heritage is Jewish and my husband’s is Irish, so I have now discovered even more reasons to love you.

Bless you all.

Thanks, Claire, for your loyalty, and kind words… PJH

20. Joyce

A company can only be as good as the people who own it and work for it.
    You all seem like very special, caring individuals, people that I would be happy to have as friends. Keep doing what you do, baking, inspiring and helping in your community. You all make this world a better to live in.

Can’t wait to try these cookies. I am thinking that maybe I will try freezing the dough in balls and then taking some out when I want to bake a few. Think it would work? I’ll give it try and let you know.

Joyce

Thanks for your kind words, Joyce – and yes, the freeze and bake method would work fine for these cookies. Then you can just make teeny-tiny little bit of ganache frosting to stuff them… :) PJH

21. Jeannie

yes I wanted to known if i could use whole wheat flour to make these cookies ,because of some members in my family are diabetic.
    Consider white whole wheat flour as a substitution. It may take a bit of experimentation (use half the amount of whole wheat for all purpose, see what your results are like – then increase in the next batch). Some bakers are successful with total substitution. Irene @ KAF

22. Rachel

Yum! They look so good! I will have to try those out on my younger brothers! ;D HeHe!

I am so glad to see a company doing community service like that! :) And in a Habitat House too?!! That is so wonderful! Our family LIVES in a Habitat house! Thank you for your help! I know the workers, Habitat for Humanity, and the “soon-to-be” house owners are greatly appreciative! :D

Blessings!
    ~Miss Rachel~

23. Kathleen

Does my flour weigh the same, summer and winter, dry days and wet days? I keep my specialized flours in the freezer. Does this affect their weight. Thanks.

Our all purpose flour weighs 4.25 ounces per cup…..no matter the weather. We encourage our customer/bakers to extend the shelf life of flour by storing in the freezer. No need to warm it up to use it in recipes – the weight will be the same. Irene @ KAF

24. cindy leigh

I don’t see the “bake vs buy” info anymore. Is it there and I’m missing it? (Haven’t had my coffee yet!)

Gave it up awhile ago, Cindy; it was a matter of too much to do, too little time… I had to decide what of my work life could go, and “bake/buy” got the ax. It actually took a TON of time to do – keeping ingredient coats updated, finding comparables at restaurants or bakeries (ever tried to find a piece of chocolate sauerkraut cake for sale anywhere??) Sorry ’bout that – PJH

25. Heather

How long do you think these will keep before going stale? Hubby is out of town and I’m dying to try these, but am also supposed to be eating healthier. I *shouldn’t* devour them all at once, but I’d hate to let them go to waste. Thanks!

We think a 3-5 day window or shelf life will be best. Maybe making them the day before his return will be best? Irene @ KAF

26. Tracie

Just made these yummy and super simple cookies. Made them on the whim after reading the blog today. My husband, who is a picky cookie eater loved them. He likened them to Brussels :). Keep up the good work!

Oh, excellent – glad even the “picky eater” took to them! PJH

27. Heather

So, I broke down and made them, but ended up with the same problem as one of the people who commented on the recipe page — even though I followed the recipe to a tee, the cookies spread WAY out and butter oozed everywhere. Looked nothing like the cookies in your photos. The flavor is good, but the texture was weird — crispy at the very edges and chewy (not in a good way) in the middle. I used the baking powder version, if that makes any difference. I didn’t even bother to make the filling, which looks like the best part :(

Heather, baking powder doesn’t affect spread – I’ve made them both ways. Are you sure you used 1 cup (8 ounces) of real butter, not low-fat, light, or margarine? Did you use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour? If you used all the ingredients exactly as listed, please call our Baker’s Hotline (802-649-3717) to see if you and one our bakers can figure this out. Sorry it didn’t work for you – PJH

28. Steve

Tried this recipe, but I had an issue where the cookies spread out way too much. Could it be from using baking powder instead of the baker’s ammonia?

No, Steve, I’ve made them both ways, with BP and BA, and it doesn’t affect the spread. Did you use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour? Other flours are lower protein, and could cause your cookies to spread. Also, if you inadvertently used too much sugar, that would cause them to spread. If you like, give our Baker’s Hotline a call – 802-649-3717 – to discuss other possible causes. Better luck next time! PJH

29. Shannon

These look great and I can’t wait to try them. Now I just have to order the baker’s ammonia. And it looks like you guys had a great Monday. Great for getting out there!

30. Sinful Southern Sweets

It looks like y’all had a fabulous time. I love the looks of those swirl-imprinted cookies. How ingenious to use a swirl bottom glass. I will certainly borrow that little trick in the near future!

It’s amazing, SSS, how difficult it is to find a flat-bottom anything. Most of the jars and cups you look at these days have slightly concave or convex bottoms. So this food processor pusher is perfect. PJH

31. sugar plum fairy

oH SO SO SWEET….the cookies and the dinners thrice a year and everything about KAf.
    I began blogging in mid september when got my first laptop and computer last year but began baking in jan after a kong hiatus and it was only KAF that i relied on and all ur recipes were sure shot….
    For awhile i got lost in the world of food but am back here and have to try out all ur bookmarked recipes now that my photography has improved too(jus got my first digi cam by my fly less than a month ago.)….and am so eager beaver about that…..
    Beats me what tok me all this while to add u guys to my blogger reader-now am assured of not missing a single post yeah….
    Would love to shop with u guys-do u ship to india,goa too?
    Cheers and have a happy cherry brite rocking ,filled with elciious baking day to all u guys at KAF.

Hey, good job with the new camera – your pics are gorgeous! Yes, we do ship to India – call 800-827-6836 for details… Glad you’re back into baking – welcome! PJH

32. Kim

Great recipe that I cannot wait to make. It reminds me of one of my favorite cookies I used to get as a child from the Helm’s Bakery van that came to my neighborhood in Los Angeles.

Now, besides your recipes giving me a “warm fuzzy” feeling, your community work and history does also. I love King Arthur.

Thanks, Kim – glad we can help revive those childhood memories! PJH

33. Liz from Ocean County, NJ

For the person who asked about rice flour – I always use rice flour in my shortbread for a little extra crispness. (My Scottish grandmother would use it when she could get it and I have her recipe – basically.) My recipe calls for 5 cups of flour so I use 2 cups KA All Purpose, 2 cups KA White Whole Wheat and 1 cup white rice flour. I’ve found that white rice flour is almost imperceptible but brown rice flour does make it a little gritty. So, substituting a little white rice flour in this might add to the crispness.

I want to add that I have been a huge fan of King Arthur Flour ever since I read an article about the company in Smithsonian Magazine about 10 years ago. I loved the story of the company and the fact that the Sands’ sold it to the employees rather than to another company. It made me want to use nothing but King Arthur Flour. Back then the flour wasn’t easy to find in the grocery store; now I can find it just about everywhere (unless the store is sold out). Now with the catalog and the blog, I’m in baking heaven! Someday, I’m going to make it up to Vermont and visit the store and bakery. Glad you can find it locally. Do visit us if you can. We are definitely worth the trip! You might be interested in taking a class as part of your visit. Fun, Fun, Fun! Mary@ KAF

34. Deangela

I would love to see a “faux vanilla joe joe” recipe. I thought I loved the black and white cookies until I tried those little gems. They’re so addictive and I usually go for chocolate over vanilla. I can only imagine how good a KAF version of them would be.

I totally agree. The vanilla Joe-Joes are my secret addiction, too. I have to try to get that vanilla filling figured out sometime – can’t quite nail it yet. They’re just SO vanilla-y – OK, you’re inspiring me, Deangela… PJH

35. Cher

After waiting for felt like forever for my baker’s ammonia to come in (it was actually only a couple of days, I am just impatient), I was able to make these last night. I have been secretly wanting to try working with the ammonia and this gave me a perfect excuse.

I was very happy with the results. Did not need any adjustments to the recipe except for baking time (only took about 12 minutes to bake). The filling was a little runny at first, but I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes to set up and the consistency was perfect. The bottom of the food processor “pusher” worked really well and gave the cookies such a cool look.

Now, I have to try making the original “Faux-reos”!

36. sugar plum

WOWOWOWOW…U GUYS ship to india?thats fantastic and thanx a ton PJH,i mean u actually hopped by and compiment my attempts at f stops and white balance….thanx a ton…

..LOVE IS IN THE AIR AND I WISH U LOADS OF IT..

37. Cassandra

I attended your baking demonstration in NYC last year, and I really loved it. I wasn’t very familiar with KAF before then…now it’s all I use! Not just for your superior product, but your company’s values are very admirable. I was so disappointed that you weren’t coming back to New York with your demo this year, but I felt a little better when I saw you were doing the same one I saw. I STILL make the sweet yeast dough often, and I learned so much about making bread dough! I’d love to see your road show again, with different recipes!

Having been married to a Greek, I was used to using baker’s ammonia (they use it in a few of their traditional cookies), but I’ve never seen it used for non-Greek cookies!

Can’t wait to try these!

Enjoy the cookies, Cassandra – glad you already had a supply of baker’s ammonia on hand. PJH

38. Sue Drover

These cookies are absolutely wonderful! My kids (17 and 22) and my husband can’t leave them alone. It was just the kind of recipe I needed to perk up a cold winter… something completely different from what I usually make. Thank you!

Glad we were able to perk up your winter, we know the cold part isn’t over yet! Irene @ KAF

39. Kate

Wow, these are amazing. SOOOOO rich. I bought Baker’s Ammonia just to make them, and it was totally worth it! I’m looking forward to making the Vanilla Dreams (it’s the same recipe, no?) and the Fudgies. Please post more recipes using this smelly secret ingredient!

Yes, Kate, same as vanilla dreams. As I run across more recipes, I’ll certainly post them. And feel free to experiment in other crisp (not chewy, not moist) cookie or cracker recipes – try baker’s ammonia in 1/3 the amount of the baking powder called for. PJH

40. Megan

Hello! I tried these out and had the weirdest experience! One pan of cookies turned out flat, greasy and tough (like a bad type of chewy). The other pan turned out pretty much like the picture (although I haven’t tasted them yet). The difference? I used a silpat on the flat, not-so-great ones. Could this really have made a difference?? I’m a novice baker, so I’m just trying to learn from my mistakes! :) It was the same batch of dough and I did substitute the perfect pastry flour for the all purpose flour.

Otherwise, beautiful cookies! My coworkers will surely appreciate them in the morning!

I think, Megan, between the lower-protein pastry flour and the “slipperiness” of the Silpat, your cookies just spread too much. On the non-Silpat pan, with more “grip,” they didn’t spread as much, and looked more like the picture. I actually like rolling on Silpat, but not baking; I prefer parchment for baking. Anyway, hope the cookies are a hint tomorrow- PJH