Foolin’ with fusion: Thai Chicken Pizza

ThaiPizza-C0F

A whole wheat crust, spicy peanut sauce, chicken with a hint of citrus, and peppery cilantro topping. Thai Chicken Pizza is one of my craving foods these days, but I tell you, gentle reader, it was not always so. Let’s take a peek at my culinary past, shall we?

Hot fudge sauce, no way. Coca-Cola, uh-uh. Salsa, not on your life. Looking back, I wonder what I did eat when I was 16. It’s funny when you realize that you’ve grown up, and now eat what you used to consider “grownup” foods. PJ and I have had several blog comment conversations with our fellow bakers on the joys and trials of being old fogeys, and it brought to mind for me how our tastes change over time, not just our vision and hair color. Here’s what else I’ve been thinking…

First, I can’t remember how I lived without dark chocolate or hot fudge. I know I didn’t like either, and remember my dad always hitting us up after Halloween for the Hershey’s Special Dark candy bars from our goodie bags. I know I gave them up willingly back then, but would put up quite a fight for them nowadays.

When I was in high school, Friendly’s restaurants came up with a sundae using Reese’s Pieces, the popular candy from the movie E. T. The sundae had hot fudge sauce and peanut butter sauce. Here’s how I used to order one. “I’ll have a Reese’s Pieces sundae, hold the hot fudge, double on the peanut butter, extra whipped cream and two cherries.” Holy sugar buzz, Batman!

I’ve since learned to love hot fudge, and now I don’t make such a fuss when ordering my sundaes. But I do still ask for two cherries.

Another culinary delight that I missed out on for years was spicy foods. When I was about 13, I went to pick veggies from my Gramma Coppolino’s garden. I picked the usual carrots, lettuce, and green peppers for a salad, and brought them home to wash. The little green pepper I had picked was just too tempting, and I took a big bite. CRUNCH!

OUCH! The pain was blinding; my eyes started to water. Who knew that peppers came in sweet and HOT varieties? No one else was home to help me, so I grabbed the sprayer in the kitchen sink and proceeded to spray my open mouth, face, and hands. Not much help; so I grabbed milk and poured it over my face. We didn’t have much money back then, and I recall being so worried about wasting all that milk, but I couldn’t help it. Sorry, Mom.

Eventually the burn faded to a dull roar, but that incident certainly affected how I felt about hot foods for many years to come. It wasn’t until I was in college that I consented to try salsa (mild salsa, thank you); and hot sauce didn’t follow until I was dating my husband after graduation.

Luckily, Asian flavors have always been among my favorites, and I’ve been pretty adventurous with trying new things on that front. I adore Thai basil chicken and pad thai. Dim sum and mu-shu are favorites and, of course, this Thai Chicken Pizza.

Fellow blogger Susan Reid is the mother of the original recipe for this pizza. The first piece I ever tried was when she was test baking it for our cookbook, Whole Grain Baking. The sweet, spicy flavors lingered on my tongue all during my ride home, and stayed in my mind for weeks until I was able to get more. When I started working on this blog, I did tweak the recipe a bit, but that’s what we bakers do; and Susan never once came after me brandishing a chef’s knife.

The white whole wheat crust is the perfect compliment to the citrus-y chicken, and tempers the mild heat of the chili garlic sauce in the marinade, as well as the bite of the scallions. Good golly, I’m craving it again. Let’s get started on our Thai Chicken Pizza. It’s an overnight recipe, so be sure to plan ahead.

img_0963.JPG

To prepare the overnight starter, place the white whole wheat flour in a medium sized bowl. Add a pinch of instant yeast
img_0964.JPG
…and the cold water.

Why cold water? The cold temperature will slow the yeast down so that it won’t wear itself out during the long rise.

img_0965.JPG

I find mixing with my fingers easier than dirtying a spoon.

img_0967.JPG

Loosely cover the bowl and leave it at room temperature overnight, about 12 to 15 hours.

img_0983.JPG

For the unique and authentic flavors in this pizza, you’re going to need a few specialty ingredients. Fear not, they’re available in most grocery stores, even in my local small grocery in a town of 1,000 people.

Left to right: Hot chili garlic sauce (comes in mild, too). Thai fish sauce and Thai peanut sauce. Each is unique and flavorful. Do try to find them, even if they’re a different brand; they make all the difference.

Marinating the chicken can be done in as little as 2 hours, or as long as overnight. As long as our fingers are dirty, let’s do it now and allow our chicken the time to develop incredible flavor.

img_0979.JPG

Cut the chicken into large chunks and place in a non-reactive bowl with the fish sauce, brown sugar, and chili garlic sauce.

img_0977.JPG

Next, squeeze in the juice of one lime. Fresh is best; try to avoid bottled juice for this recipe.

img_0978.JPG

To juice your fresh lime, place it in the microwave for 20 seconds, then roll it under your palm on the countertop for another 20 seconds. Then slice and squeeze. The heat and pressure release more juice with less effort.

Hey, you say, what’s wrong with that gal’s lime? It’s funky, it’s camouflaged! Actually it’s a lime that has already had its zest removed. Remember, if you zest fruit it’s still good on the inside. Just use it within a few days of zesting, as it dries out more quickly.

Now, off to bed. Sweet dreams!

img_0968.JPG

Good morning! The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and your overnight starter is happy and bubbly. All is right with the world.

img_0969.JPG

Look at the lovely gluten development for the starter.

img_0972.JPG

Place all the starter, plus the water, flour, yeast, and salt, into the bowl of your stand mixer.

img_0973.JPG

Knead on second speed for 5 minutes. This is a soft, rather wet dough. Don’t add more flour, it’s fine. Really!

img_0974.JPG

Look at the gluten development now. I know the dough looks a LOT softer and wetter than a typical pizza dough; but trust me, this is how we want it to look at this point. The whole wheat flour is going to hydrate more during the rise, and the slack texture will allow for a good rise and great texture in the final crust.

img_0975.JPG

Cover the bowl lightly with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature. Set a timer for 30 minutes and then meet me back here for the first fold.

img_0984.JPG

Wow, it’s 30 minutes later, the dough is puffed up just a bit, and it’s still quite sticky. To help develop the gluten and build structure into the dough without kneading, you’ll be making a fold (also known as a bucket fold, or bench fold).

You’re literally going to be folding the dough over on itself to redistribute the yeast and stretch the gluten. It can be a messy business, but you’re going to be well prepared.

img_0985.JPG

Get a bowl of cool water deep enough to dip your whole hand into. Try to use just the one hand, it really cuts down on the mess factor. Dip your hand in and gently shake off any excess water.

img_0988.JPG

Reach down into the bowl and grasp the dough on the side. Stretch the dough up and fold it over the remaining dough in the bowl. It always reminds me of picking up a corner of a blanket and pulling it up and over to cover your feet.

img_0989.JPG

Turn the bowl 1/4 turn and repeat the fold process. Turn once more and fold once more.

img_0990.JPG

See? Thanks to the water dip you aren’t that messy at all. Cover the bowl and set your 30-minute timer again. See you then!

img_0991.JPG

Here’s the dough after the second set of folds

img_0992.JPG

And during the third folds. By now the dough is much less sticky and easier to work with. It still has plenty of moisture, though, and great extensibility.

img_0993.JPG

And finally, ready to turn out and prepare for pizza. You’l notice this dough is not a high riser. It won’t double, but will look full and puffy between folds.

Time to preheat the oven to 450°F, please.

Let’s get back to our chicken topping.

img_1015.JPG

In a large sauté pan, cook the chicken over medium-high heat, along with about half the marinade. Cook until the chicken begins to brown, and the sauce has thickened and clings to the chicken.

img_1022.JPG

Allow the chicken to cool slightly, then chop into bite-sized pieces. I like to use parchment paper to keep the sweet sauce off the cutting board and on the chicken.

Why not cut the chicken into small pieces first? The larger pieces will keep the chicken moist during cooking, so they won’t be dry on the pizza.

Chop the scallions into 1/8” slices, and set aside.

img_1018.JPG

Divide the dough in half, and place one piece on a sheet of parchment paper. For this wet dough, parchment paper will be your best bet; it’s well worth the investment.

Pat and stretch the dough into a 10” circle. Keeping your hands wet will help.

img_1020.JPG

Take your time, and let the dough rest for a few minutes if it fights back. The dough should be about 1/2” thick, and slightly thicker at the edges. Repeat with the other half of the dough.

img_1021.JPG

Spread about half the peanut sauce on each crust. Top with the chopped chicken, scallions, and your choice of pizza cheese, then it’s off to the oven.

img_1025.JPG

Bake the pizza on a hot pizza stone or baking sheet until the cheese bubbles and the crust is a light golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.

img_1028.JPG

The underside of the pizza will be crisp and browned.

img_1027.JPG

Sprinkle torn cilantro over the top of the pizza, and serve immediately.

เพลิดเพลิน! Phelidphelin! Enjoy!

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Thai Chicken Pizza.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

Another new variation for an old delicious bread, our loved pizza!
    I love in this recipe the fact that dough rested for long period under refrigeration. It improves taste for this bread, certainly!
    I´ll try this recipe of pizza just in this weekend. Here in Brazil we have lots of seafoods and we always ask for seafood and white meats variations. specially to fill pizzas on top. It´s more healthy. But i never found here the kind of white wheat flour. I only have here semolina flour of high gluten content. Can it replace that white wheat flour with same results?
    Thanks by this new cool recipe Mary!

Ricardo – Yes, you could use semolina flour. But, I think you could skip the sponge technique if you do. Another option is to use traditional whole wheat flour in place of the white whole wheat. In this case, make the sponge, perhaps add a little more liquid to your recipe (1-2 t. per cup of whole grain flour). Also, you may want to substitute some orange juice in place of the water, (1/2c. will do). The orange juice will help to temper some of the tannic flavor of the traditional whole wheat with out giving off any orange flavor. Elisabeth @ KAF

2. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

Back again, i wanna suggest and wanna know your opinion about replace the garlic hot sauce by standard Tabasco hot pepper, with minced natural garlic plus a tablespoon of unsalted butter melted, all of them beated well in food processor?? Is it a well combination for this recipe? That sounds like it should work. Have fun with it. Mary @ KAF

3. Terri A.

Wow! 8am and I’m salivating for this. This would be terrific during our big snowstorm this weekend, but I don’t have any peanut sauce. Will have to wait until next weekend. Thanks for the great idea!

4. Han Broekman

The recipe sounds delicious. Unfortunately, my daughter is severely allergic to peanuts. Is there a substitute?

Peanut allergies are relatively common, a general workaround would be nice …

Han – If you want to avoid all nuts, how about using some hummus in place of the peanut sauce? MaryJane? Elisabeth @ KAF

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions, you guys are the best! ~ MaryJane

5. Trisha

MaryJane, you give me great hope for my 4 year old, Mr. “I like plain foods.” That alone would set a great tone for the day but you also made me a teensy bit less afraid of such a wet dough. Maybe I’ll try it sometime. Thanks!

6. Jeri Hurd

I’m not a big fan of chicken on pizza, but this sounds amazing! And my fiancee loves it, so I guess I know what I’m fixing for dinner this weekend. I think I’ll add straw mushrooms sauteed in some of the sauce, too, just to build in more veggies.

7. Jeri Hurd

Forgot to ask–what type of cheese would you recommend? It’s hard to imagine what would go with this, since cheese isn’t a typical Asian ingredient. Might almost be better without the cheese?

Jeri – MaryJane recommends using mozzarella or a blend of pizza cheeses (romano, mozzarella, parmesan). Mozzarella would be my first choice as it is mild tasting, not overpowering. It will allow the thai flavors to shine through. Use just a little cheese. You do not need to pile it on like most American pizza pies. Elisabeth @ KAF

8. Erin in PA

This looks FANTASTIC – we too are settling in for a snowy weekend, and I have dough rising for pizzas tonight. My three year old can have red sauce, but I think Mom and Dad will be trying this! Love the whole wheat dough idea – will definitely be trying this soon!

9. April Blazich

This is a great idea! If you can, consider adding a bit of fresh chopped mint and fresh sweet basil, preferable Thai, to the cilantro topping for an even more authentic flavor. That turns it into Vietnamese pizza…opening lots of “ideas for food” doors…
    HI April,
    I love the Thai basil flavor, it would be a great addition to this pizza. Thanks for the suggestion. ~ MaryJane

10. Cristine

I agree that hummus might be a good replacement for peanut sauce but I would add or use black bean garlic paste -the flavor of the hummus would get a nice asian kick!

11. Doris

Han, give Hoisin sauce a try but thin it out with a very small amount of water. I do hope your daughter is not allergic to sesame seeds because it has sesame seeds in it.

12. Cynthia

Stop already!!!! How many pizzas can I make in a week??? This looks fantastic.
    My husband (who is recovering from quint bypass surgery) loves, loves, loves the Chicago Deep Dish I made with all veggies (roasted eggplant, zucchini, sauteed mushrooms and the tomatoes), my son loved it in its original incarnation… we lived in the Chicago metro area for six years and never touched a deep dish pie! Our loss.
    But this is high on the list to be the Super Bowl Sunday Pie!!
    Thanks, KAF!!!
    Now, how about Stromboli???
    Hi Cynthia,
    I actually have a roasted asparagus stromboli planned for later in the spring. Ohh yeah! ~ MaryJane

13. Jean in NJ

With reference to the comment by Han Broekman, my daughter has a severe allergy to peanuts, also. I have found great success by substituting Soybean Butter whenever Peanut Butter is called for. She loves the spicy Thai style sauce I make for dipping chicken tenders! Soybean butter has the same consistency and almost flavor of peanut butter.
    Hi Jean,
    Would you be willing to share your recipe for the Thai style sauce for others here? I’m sure it would be greatly appreciated.
    ~MaryJane

14. Anne in AZ

This looks absolutely fantastic! I too have a daughter with severe nut allergies! I read the suggestion about hummus, however, we are not fond of hummus. I am wondering if there is a spicy tomato type sauce you may have a recipe for. Also, I have been longing for a really great whole wheat crust, and this looks like it will be perfect! Do you also have a sourdough crust recipe? I love sourdough crust!

I loved your comment on the Reeces Pieces sundae from Friendly’s. I grew up in PA, and long for Friendly’s sundaes (especially now that I am pregnant with my fifth child–boy the cravings I get!!)!
    Find the sourdough pizza crust here and the tomato sauce here
    best wishes with your pregnancy, and all your little ones. Mary@ KAF

15. Anne

Can’t wait to try–the entertaining instructions and insights, as well as the great photo-instructions make the two-day process seem like a “must do!”
    HI Anne,
    It really is quite easy as an overnight recipe. Just mix up the pre-ferment before bed and then the dough in the morning. You can set a timer for the 30 minute intervals, and do other things in-between, like shop online or read more great recipes! ~ MaryJane

16. Susan

I love the whole wheat crust recipe. Is it okay to use KAF high gluten flour in place of the bread flour if that is all one has? Also, not to be nitpicky but the description for the recipe says that the crust is 100% whole wheat flour, which isn’t technically true with the bread flour in it.

Thank you! The high gluten flour will make for more chew to the crust. You may need to increase the liquid slightly because of the higher gluten level- maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons more. You are correct it isn’t 100% whole wheat. Mary@ KAF
    Mea Culpa on the recipe. I meant to post the 100% whole wheat version, posted the bread flour version, and luckily Mary caught it during a “buddy check”. The online version is now the 100% whole wheat. ~ MaryJane

17. SoupAddict Karen

Mmmm … Thai pizza. You are awesome! (And the seasoning includes fish sauce, the discovery of which was like a revelation!). At least you were only 13 when you first bit into a hot pepper. I was in college and cooking on my own for the first time, when I spotted those pretty little Scotch Bonnet peppers in the produce aisle.

Got it home, washed it off and bit right into it. No wading into the shallow end for me, no siree.

I have never felt such pain, including the time I grabbed the handle of a cast iron skillet that had just come out of the oven. Ice made the hand feel better, but *nothing* could squelch that pepper juice.
    Man oh man, nothing burns like that pepper. I do like some hotter things now, but if I burn the corners of my mouth, all those memories come rushing back. I’ve got to get over to your site soon, I’ve got me a craving for soup. See ya there! ~ MaryJane

18. Jan in NC

It seems like a very long process. Most people don’t have that kind of time to spend on pizza dough. Isn’t there a recipe (whole wheat dough)that doesn’t require all of that and is good tasting. This whole wheat dough takes less time and tastes good, too. See it here .

19. terri

my daughter is allergic to tomatoes so can’t do red sauce and allergic to peanuts so can’t do thai peanut sauce and won’t eat humus

any other suggestions for the sauce?…How about a bechamel sauce with a touch of honey mustard in it? Mary@ KAF

20. Bernie

Am I seeing this correctly? You baked the pizza on the pizza stone with the parchment paper still under the dough? So a pizza pan is not necessary and neither is a peel?
    By an odd coincidence, we are going out for pizza tonight at a place that serves a Thai chicken pizza that I love but was timid about trying to duplicate. Thanks so much. The next Thai chicken pizza will be homemade.

Bernie, it’s easier if you have a peel to transfer the pizza/parchment from counter to stone. But if you’re careful, and the parchment is strong, and the pizza not too heavy, you can pick it up with your hands and kind of sling it onto the stone… PJH

21. Melinda

Can you suggest a substitution for the fish sauce for someone who is allergic to seafood? Thanks, this recipe sounds really delicious. I would suggest soy sauce. Mary @ KAF

22. Mary Lou

Can this pizza be frozen & then cooked when desired? We haven’t tried it. I think it should work fine. Try it and let us know how it comes out. Mary@ KAF
    I’d try freezing the crust and the chicken separately, then topping the frozen crust with the sauce, etc. before baking. ~ MaryJane

23. Lesley

Is the cheese necessary? I just can’t be happy with the chicken, spice, peanut flavors and cheese. Will the whole thing be undone if I just skip the cheese? You could omit the cheese if you wished. Mary@ KAF

24. Marcia

I too am allergic to tomatoes and just leave off sauce. “White” pizza; Whole Foods will make them on request by the slice or whole pie. California Pizza Kitchen sells them too; frozen as well as at the restaurants. But home made is best; no sauce on it works fine.

I will try this recipe and have everything needed. Last pizza I made had a sour dough crust.
    HI Marcia,
    I love white pizza! I make a good white garlic sauce, just a rue with fat free half and half, and plenty of garlic, then add parm. cheese. Shannon’s friends are wild about it. ~ MaryJane

25. Judy in PA

I have all of the ingredients except the White Whole Wheat flour. What adaptations would be necessary with regular unbleached King Arthur bread flour? You may need a bit less liquid, maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons. Mary @ KAF

26. Paul from Ohio

MJ – I’d like to compliment you on your great writing for this tremendous sounding pizza: it reads really well, with a big helping of who you are as a person. Nice.

I’m not a chicken on pizza kind of guy, but my partner is digging the Thai seasoning sound of things. Since I too grew up with a very limited/selective food palette (my dad hated onions and garlic spicey stuff – so they never put in much an appearance), I am learning in my older age to at least just try it!

Surprising what an adult taste bud can find luscious. I’m not sure that anything will ever beat out Hot Fudge and Dark Chocolate – but at least I’m will to expose my taste buds’ exposure to ‘possibilities’.
    Thanks Paul, I’ve got the warm fuzzies now. I do hope you give the pizza a try, or at least the chicken as a stir fry. It’s awesome. Best to Toby dog from Toby dog too.
    ~ MaryJane

27. JanH

For all of you who are not fans of chicken, I suspect that shrimp would be a nice substitute with the peanut sauce. Probably cut the marinating time back to an hour or less.
    HI Jan,
    Yes, I agree shrimp would be good here too. It would cut the spice of the peanut sauce nicely. Can’t wait to try it myself.
    ~ MaryJane

28. sheryl

Pizza sounds great. Do you think you could pull it off using a bread maker for the dough instead of the overnight process ? Also for Han, my husband is allergic to peanuts as well. We have found ground soy bean butter to be a wonderful substitute. Probably could thin it down with a bit of olive oil for spreadable consistency. can find at most health food stores and some grocery stores will stock it now It would be worth a try doing it in the machine. You won’t have as much flavor development, with the shorter rise times, but it should still be good. Mary@KAF

29. Michele

Several comments have been about the recipe’s using bread flour, but I cannot find that as a listed ingredient… only White Whole Wheat flour seems to be listed. Am I missing something?

MJ started with two versions of the recipe – the first included bread flour, but that later changed. So you’re not missing anything, Michele – PJH
    That’s right Michelle, the original version from the Whole Grain Cookbook used bread flour, but I wanted to use 100% whole wheat, so that is the online version. ~ MaryJane

30. Alissa

Now if only you could figure out how to cut the soy (trust me, it’s in the peanut sauce) out, I’d be a happy camper!

Thanks for such interesting recipes.
    Hi Alissa,
    I’m sure there are great peanut sauce recipes online or in cookbooks that you could make soy free. I’d give it a look. ~MaryJane

31. Marianna

The chicken topping on this pizza looks good enough to serve as an entree over rice. As long as I come to read this blog, I will never run out of new creations to master. Thanks!
    HI Marianna,
    Yes, you absolutely can use the chicken marinade as the base for a stir fry. It would be great with snow pea pods for sweetness, maybe some baby corn? mmmmmm! ~ MaryJane

32. Duane Stegall

Nice pictures and story but not worth a damn without the recipe. How much flour? howmuch chicken bla bla bla.

Duane, calm! The recipe link is at the end of the blog. And here it is again: Thai Chicken Pizza. Enjoy! PJH

33. Karen

I noticed you did not use the Easy Roll Dough Improver. Does it not work well with whole wheat?
    The Easy Roll Dough Improver works fine with whole wheat but this particular dough is so wet that it’s better to pat and stretch it into place. Molly @ KAF

34. Liz J

This is very good, and I also tried this with just a tablespoon of brown sugar,and added bean sprouts and a finely sliced shallot, but left off the chesse. Wonderful!
    *Gasp* You are a genius! I never thought to add bean sprouts, but they would be sooo good, nice and cool and juicy. Can’t wait to try that, thanks for sharing. ~ MaryJane

35. HoneyB

I love this dough – I am definitely going to be trying it this way!
    This IS a really nice crust for any style of pizza. Glad you are going to give it a try. ~ MaryJane

36. Jeri Hurd

I made this last night. Flavors were great, but it was really salty. Do you think that was the fish sauce? Realized afterwards I forgot and left out the sugar, but it was fine without it. I also added sauteed shiitaki mushrooms. The crust was AWESOME, btw….

My fiancee really liked it, so I’d like to keep playing with it to tone down the salt, as that made it all but inedible for me.

One other hint: I had to replenish my sourdough starter, so I used that instead of the recipe’s starter. Gave a nice, subtle tartness to the crust that complimented the citrus in the chicken.
    Hi Jeri,
    Yes, the salt can be from the fish sauce. Different brands will have different sodium levels. I’ve never looked for a low sodium version, but it may be out there. If you want to use the same brand, try using some chicken broth or even water to replace some of the fish sauce in the marinade, say about 2-3 tablespoons. Hope this helps! ~ MaryJane

37. Carla

To transfer my pizza to my baking stone I turn a sheet pan upside down, slide the parchment on to the bottom then slip it onto the stone. So far it works fine, just have to hold on to an edge until I get it to the stone – I am the consumate klutz.

38. Lish

My husband and I have been drooling over this recipe in the Whole Grain cookbook and finally decided to make it after seeing the pictures here in the blog. We have a fantastic Thai marinade from Stonewall Kitchen that we will use in place of making one, and the bean sprouts sounds like a great addition. The cilantro will only make it to my slices though, as hubby thinks it tastes like dirty soap. His words, not mine. I love the stuff. I have a whole wheat sourdough in the fridge in need of replenishing, could I sub that in the crust? Use a cup of that and start the crust same day I am planning on eating the pizza?

39. Ann

Prepared the chicken as directed. Found it WAY too salty. Not just a little. A lot too salty. Never tried marinating in fish sauce before. Then reducing it…it was too much. Anyone else have this problem?

But this recipe gives me all the ideas for components of a great Thai pizza. I’ll tweak it for my tastes.

Thanks.
    HI Ann,
    It could be that particular brand of fish sauce has more sodium. You can compare brands, or cut down on the marinade amounts and marinade time. ~ MaryJane

40. Moxie

Had this for supper last night. This is definitely a keeper. Smelled wonderful and tasted better. I am sure that it must be the brand of ingredients that is causing the salt problem that some are complaining about. I dislike too much salt but this was perfect. My only change I might make is that since I am a “from scratch” sort of person, I may try making my own peanut sauce. And this also would be lovely over rice as a change of pace. Any chance of a peanut sauce recipe, MJ?
    I checked with MJ, who said she didn’t have a recipe but that if you googled it and found one you liked, to please let her know. Molly @ KAF

41. jill emblidge

Just had the leftover piece for lunch, still incredibly good! I mixed chicken and bay scallops and went light on the cheese. This recipe is a keeper!
    Oh man, hadn’t thought of scallops yet. Great idea! ~ MaryJane

42. freddc1

I’ve made some of your pizza before, including several recently for a New Year’s Eve dinner and results have been excellent.
    this weekend finished the topping but distractions, delays, etc. etc so was too late at night to make the dough so ended up putting the topping onto angel hair pasta instead. Next time will start a little earlier but wanted you to know the topping is also excellent. Keep up the good work.

43. Megan

My husband and I made this pizza and absolutely LOVED it! It was so different from the usual pizza we make. The flavors were amazing. We will definitely be making this again. Also, I couldn’t find fish sauce at my grocery store, so I substituted soy sauce. It turned out great…but I really want to try it with the fish sauce…

Thanks for all of your amazing recipes, tips, and photos. It is a gold mine for a young cook/baker like me. I check in everyday to read the comments and check for new blog entries. All of you are really amazing! It’s fun to feel like a part of the KAF family!

It’s great to mix it up a bit and discover different tastes from our tried and true recipes. We’re pleased to have an enthusiatic cook like you in the baking fold. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

44. Karla

I have just mixed up the starter. But, I did add 2 tablespoons of my 10 year old sour dough starter from Nancy Silverton, La Brea Bakery. I can hardly wait until tomorrow to continue… I also don’t have the peanut sauce. But it is so very easy to make. In a medium sauce pan place 1/4 peanut butter, 1/4 milk, 3 tablespoons ketsup ( which is sweet soy sauce or you could use regular soy sauce and add 2 tablespoons honey) the juice of half a small lemon, a couple of shakes of garlic powder and I always add some hot chili peppers. Turn the heat on low and stir until creamy. You may need to add more milk. You decide the consistancy that you want Yummmm! This is also great over satay’s

45. Karla

Well, I made your recipe and it was OUTSTANDING!!! I am not a lover of peanuts, so I used crunchy almond butter instead. The crust was to die for… I have to say I had to make myself not add more flour but your recipe was so well written that I followed the directions exactly. I did also add some onion power to the above peanut sauce recipe just for a little added flavor. This recipe is a winner!!!

46. marietta

I was slightly disappointed with the flavor of the crust. I would rather have used all purpose flour for the crust.
    It is a denser crust and just full of nutrition. You can certainly use your favorite pizza crust recipe next time and move forward with this recipe. Elisabeth

47. EH from PA

Despite having been to Thailand I have not yet made this as described b/c no one else would eat it. However, we did make thus crust last summer for a BBQ Chicken pizza and are making a double batch tonight for a ranch+steak pizza & a taco pizza. The white whole wheat does great with bold, sweet & flavorful toppings. We have also been very pleased with how thick, chewy, and surprisingly light the crust has been for us. It may be from the extra sugar since I like substituting a little citrus juice for some of the water or maybe it is b/c we cook it in 525 deg. preheated cast iron (17 in rnd & 10×10 sq)? We stretch it out on the floured counter top, pull out the hot pan, dust w/ cornmeal, lay it in & press to edges. Then I par-bake it under the broiler for 2 min with just a VERY thin layer of sauce, pull it back out, top it quickly over a high burner, and then throw it back under the broiler to finish (just until the crust is golden & the cheese melted). A variation of this skillet broiler method is what I use for every style now, from NY & Neopolitan to NE, Chicago or Sicilian, just with few adjustments here and there. Thanks again for such a great whole wheat recipe!

That method sounds really interesting. So, you broil the crust the whole way – no baking at all? I’d assume this would be great for a thin crust, though not sure it would work with thick… And I love the cast iron pan idea. And the OJ in the crust – did you know OJ tempers the potentially strong taste of ww flour? Looks like I have a lot of things to try here thanks to you, EH! Thanks. PJH