Beyond flourless chocolate cake and macaroons: chewy almond cookies

img_7239

So Monday is the first day of Passover. I’m sure you’ve got your seder meal all planned. Except maybe the dessert. Hmmm, what’ll it be this year? Same old, same old? How about something different, like almond cookies?

Almond cookies?! B-O-R-I-N-G…

Not if you like almond flavor – and certainly not these particular almond cookies, the likes of which you’ll never encounter in the cookie aisle at your local grocery store.

First of all, these aren’t the crumbly-textured almond cookies you’re served at the end of your American-Chinese restaurant meal, with chunks of pineapple and fortune cookies. Or fragile, lace-like Almond Crisps. Or dunkable almond biscotti.

No, these almond cookies are wonderfully chewy, and bursting with almond flavor – thanks to three types of almond: paste, extract, and oil.

Not only that, they’re flourless and unleavened, which makes them perfect for Passover – so long as you can work your way around the confectioners’ sugar and other possibly non-kosher ingredients.

They’re also just right for any of you craving a gluten-free sweet treat.

And finally, with only six ingredients, they go together in about 5 minutes flat. Plop the dough onto a pan, bake for 20 minutes, and you can have warm, intensely almond cookies – light and meringue-like outside, dense and chewy inside – on the table in well under 45 minutes.

That’s one of the reasons these cookies have become one of my go-to treats for the non-chocolate crowd.

Hmmm… speaking of chocolate, wonder what would happen if I added chocolate chips?

img_9591.JPG

WOW!

img_6934.JPG

Attention, almond lovers (you know who you are ) – this recipe demands almond paste, both for taste, and texture. And for over-the-top, pure almond flavor, bitter almond oil is key.

The bottle pictured above is labeled simply “almond,” as you can see. When we asked the manufacturer why their bitter almond oil was labeled just plain “almond,” the said it was because people these days don’t know what bitter almond oil is, and became confused.

So, what’s the difference between almond extract, and bitter almond oil? Almond extract comes from sweet almonds; bitter almond oil comes from bitter almonds. Or, it used to…

Bitter almond oil still comes from bitter almonds in other countries, but the United States has banned bitter almond products, due to their potential toxicity. The bitter almond oil we use here is manufactured, not extracted from almonds. So if you have some vague notion that bitter almond oil can be harmful, no worries; at least here in America.

Bitter almond oil is more potent and aggressive, while almond extract is smoother. When you use the two in combination, the bitter almond oil enhances the almond extract, ramping up almond flavor without the odd aftertaste you might get simply by increasing the amount of almond extract.

Let’s get started. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

img_7181.JPG

Put the following in a bowl:

10 ounces almond paste
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

img_7187.JPG

Beat until the mixture becomes crumbly; this is most easily done in a stand mixer, though an electric hand mixer will do the job, too.

img_7182.JPG

Put 2 large egg whites in a small bowl.

img_7186.JPG

Whisk till frothy. This makes them easier to drizzle into the almond mixture – which is the next step.

Unbeaten egg whites would simply PLOP into the bowl all at once; if you whisk them first, they become pourable.

img_7190.JPG

Add the egg whites gradually, while mixing, to make a smooth paste.

img_7192.JPG

Stir in 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, and 1/8 teaspoon bitter almond oil.

img_7193.JPG

Here’s the stiff dough, ready to scoop.

Note: this is the point where you’d add 1 cup chocolate chips, if you’re a chocolate fan.

img_7194.JPG

Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons; a tablespoon cookie scoop is the ideal size.

img_7196.JPG

Deposit onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2” between the cookies.

img_0030.JPG

Hint: Want to make Italian pignoli cookies (above)? Dip tops of balls of dough in pine nuts, and flatten gently on the baking sheet. Skip the confectioners’ sugar and three-finger indentations in the following pictures, and bake as directed.

img_7200.JPG

Sprinkle heavily with confectioners’ sugar.

img_7201.JPG

Using two fingers and your thumb, make  three deep indentations in the top of each cookie.

img_7203.JPG

Here they are, ready to bake.

img_7205.JPG

Bake the cookies until they’re brown around the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.

img_7224.JPG

Remove them from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.

img_7225.JPG

Light and crisp and crunchy on the outside…

img_7258.JPG

…wonderfully chewy and almond-y inside.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Almond Cloud Cookies.

comments

1. PJM

Can I use up a big chunk of homemade marzipan in this recipe? It is probably a bit coarser than the almond paste from the can. These look delicious! And nutritious, too – there are only so many ways my kids will eat nuts….

In general, PJM, marzipan is 1 part almond to 3 parts sugar, while almond paste is 1 part almond to 1 part sugar. (If you have the marzipan we sell, Love ‘N Bake, it’s 1 part almond to 1.5 parts sugar). So marzipan is much sweeter. You’d want to cut back on the sugar – maybe use just 1/2 cup? No guarantees, but see how that works, and let us know, OK? Good luck – PJH

2. Beth @ 990 Square

I love pignolis, which are those cookies on the label of the almond paste with the pine nuts on top, so I’m thinking I would love these too! Do you think I could subsitute almond meal for the paste?

No, not a good substitution at all, Beth – don’t go there, totally different products. PJH

3. Karen

If you don’t have bitter almond oil, can you substitute with more almond extract? Thanks! :)

Sure, Karen, add another 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, should be fine. PJH

4. Bridget C

So, how did the ones with the chocolate chips taste???

As the caption said – WOW. If you like chocolate and almond flavor, you’ll jump up and down and say YIPPEEEEE – :) PJH

5. RobynB

The cookies look yummy, and are the perfect blog to prompt me to ask a question that’s been bugging me as I put together my next order: PLEASE explain the difference between almond paste, almond filling, and almond marzipan! You sell all three, and I don’t know what makes them each unique. The paste is sweetened, and I always though marzipan IS sweetened almond paste… and the filling is also sweetened almond paste, right? Help!

Depends on the brand, Robyn – but if you’re talking the Love ‘N Bake brand we sell: almond paste is 2 parts almond to 1 part sugar; marzipan is 1 part almond to 1.5 parts sugar (so sweeter than almond paste); and almond filling is almond, sugar, oat flour, and spices. It’s softer and spreadable; grainier, showing flecks of almond, unlike marzipan or almond paste; and less intensely flavored. It’s less an ingredient, more a filling. Hope this helps? PJH

6. Maggie

I made these cookies for the first time about a month ago. I love almond flavor but didn’t have the bitter almond oil on hand. I made a half batch of these cookies as written and the other half I added a little lemon oil as suggested in the recipe. Although I haven’t tried the cookie with the almond oil, the lemon oil made a great almond cookie absolutely incredible. I took them into work and even my pickiest European colleague said they could eat 20 of them. Unfortunately my husband is allergic to nuts, including almonds, so I’ll have to save these for times when I’m baking for friends.
    As an aside, my dough wasn’t as stiff as what I see in the blog (great photos!) I even used the Love & Bake almond paste. Maybe my large eggs were closer to extra large? The cookies still came out wonderfully but a tad thinner. The cookie scoop helped immensely. It is my favorite baking gadget and worth every penny.

Yes, Maggie, the eggs would be the only thing that made a difference – we use large eggs here. Glad you like the cookie scoop! PJH

7. Sandy

Yummo…and these are gluten-free with no flour in them. Will make them for my adult daughter (gluten-free required) as soon as the splint is off the right hand after having surgery!

Oooh, Sandy, sorry ’bout the surgery – but these are almost easy enough to do with one hand tied behind your back! :) PJH

8. Paul

I’ve made great cookies like these before, most notably using Jacques Pepin’s recipe, but I’m intrigued by the two types of almond oil so I’m keen to try those. Also do you think flaked almonds would work either in or on top of the mix, or would they possibly burn?
    Flaked almonds on top would not burn and would be delicious in these cookies. Molly @ KAF

9. JEM

I love these cookies and indulge myself, making them when I feel I want to really treat myself. The last couple of times I’ve made them I’ve added a few drops of fiori di sicilia. For me this just takes them to another level!
    janet
    KAF employee-owner

10. Jessica

Someone told me a similar almond recipe and I never wrote it down. I happen to have a thing of almond paste at home burning a hole in the cabinet. Thursday night snack?

Bring on all t he almond flavored recipes you can find! I can’t get enough almond flavored treats!

11. Jackie Julty

Wow, these look great, but, confectioner’s sugar(has cornstarch in it and definitely a no- no for Passover), but as that I don’t keep kosher at all, it wouldn’t make any difference to me, but I like various foods of my youth that my grandmother used to make.[She had her own take on the holidays- kind of marched to her own drumbeat.Was the only person in her apartment building who didn’t keep kosher and used to open all the windows in her kitchen when she cooked bacon. A bit of a small scandal :-) ] I imagine that superfine sugar might work?

Jackie, it won’t look the same, but sure, try superfine sugar – or get some kosher-for-Passover confectioners’ sugar. Not a problem- PJH

12. tracu

These are definitely on the list for next time. My husband can’t have gluten and usually flourless cookies way overdo it with the egg whites. These seem to have substance. I don’t know if that made sense.

It did indeed – the almond paste being the main ingredient does lend them more body than most “eggy” cookies. PJH

13. Julie

So, silly question here. Does pressing the 3 indentations into the cookies make a difference? And can the dough be rolled out and cut in shapes instead of scooped?

Julie, you can try rolling it out; it’s awfully sticky, and personally I wouldn’t do it. You’d have to add so much flour to make them rollable, they’d be dry. The three indentations are traditional; they also help the interior stay dense/sticky/chewy. If you want to make almond rollout cookies, how about taking a simple sugar rollout cookie recipe and adding almond extract? That would be a heckuva lot easier… PJH

14. Ellen in Texas

These cookies are fantastic! I’ve made them several times, and included them in my care packages last Christmas. If you bake them slightly more than the recipe calls for, you get a crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside cookie. Yummy!

15. Irena

Do you have a carb count for these? Also, any idea how it would be to sub 1/2 c Splenda blend for the 1 c sugar?

Sorry, Irena, no carb count, and you can try subbing Splenda, but we haven’t tried that in these cookies, so don’t know how it would work. Check out our blog on Splenda sugar cookies and brownies for an example of what the difference between Splenda and sugar is, though. PJH

16. KimberlyD

Ok you added the chocolate chips, how about coconut flakes. I wonder how much? Wouldn’t want to over do it. But I am not much of an almond fan.

Kimberly, if you’re not an almond fan DO NOT MAKE THESE COOKIES, they’re not for you. They’re VERY almond-y. Lucky thee are so many other cookie recipes on the site! PJH

17. Phil Goldwasser

These cookies look yummy, but there are many problems with them for use on Passover (and NOT the confectioners sugar!). First off, kosher for Passover almond paste will be very hard to find in America (but it does exist, from an Israeli company called Lin’s Farm). Similarly, Almond Extract is available, but hard to find. Almond Oil is not available for Passover.

Sometimes you can get confectioners sugar, but not every year. That is easy to remedy though. Take one cup of sugar and remove 1/2 tsp of the sugar and replace with 1/2 tsp of potato starch. Then grind this up in a food processor or spice mill until powdered.

Thanks for the input, Phil – it must be a real challenge trying to keep kosher for Passover… PJH

18. giz

Your preamble to the Passover recipes said exactly what I’ve been thinking. So far I’ve printed off 3 of the recipes and I’m elated to find them – yayyy.

19. quinn

These cookies look fantastic! Once again I have learned the danger of reading this blog when I am hungry!

I’m curious about the bitter almond oil available in other countries. Shall I add it the the list of specialty items I look for when I travel, or do you think it would be confiscated at Customs?

Quin, I have NO idea about bringing in bitter almond oil from overseas, and wouldn’t dare to even hazard a guess about it… Sorry. But glad you like the recipe! PJH

20. aj

will this recipe work substituting spenda for the sugar?
    regardless, im very excited about this recipe!
    thanks!
    We haven’t tried it but Splenda generally works better used in combination with sugar in baked goods. Molly @ KAF

21. Sarah

These look wonderful! I’m wondering how long they will keep and if they would survive being mailed? I have a friend who would love a batch.
    They’ll keep for about a week and I think they’ll ship fine because they’re soft. Molly @ KAF

22. Susan

I’d love to be able to make these tonight, but… my almond paste has been in the fridge a loooong time. Any tips for checking that it’s the right consistency, and/or fixing it if it’s not? What could I add if it’s too stiff?
    Letting it warm up and stirring will bring it to the proper consistency. Molly @ KAF

23. crevans

I am allergic to almonds (and all other nuts). Is there a way to make these cookies without using nuts? I am allergic to coconuts as well.
    I would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. Thank you.
    Unfortunately, this particular recipe is made using a nut paste and so you’d have to find a paste of the same consistency to make it work. Molly @ KAF

24. Sue Bradford

Thank you for publishing this. I am always thrilled to find gluten-free pastry recipes that aren’t blah. I can’t wait to try this.

25. Mark from MD

PJ-I have made these cookies and another KAF recipe use the “bitter almond” oil and found the taste medicinal, as did everyone else. Obviously, from the comments this should not be the case. Or did all the preceding bloggers grow up with a “little spoon of sugar to help the medicine go down?” Help!
    Try using less bitter almond oil or using all almond extract. Molly @ KAF

26. Sarah

Thanks for the response about how long they will keep and shipping. They are in the oven now! I do have one more question though. I’ve never worked with almond paste before and could only find it in 8 oz cans while the recipe calls for 10 oz. How should I store the remaining of the almond paste and how long does it keep? I put it in a plastic container in the fridge for now.The company says to store air tight in your refrigerator and use with in one month. JMD @KAF

27. Michelle

I love your blog about freezing cookie dough. Can this cookie dough be frozen?
    Hi Michelle,
    You should be able to freeze this dough dropped out on the cookie sheets, then put the frozen cookies in a zip lock bag. I’d try to use them up in 4-5 weeks. ~ MaryJane

28. Janet

WOW, just made these and they are incredibly good…wonderful!!! Do you think they would freeze well? Thanks so much for the recipe and the excellent instructions!

You have cookies left over to freeze? All kidding aside, keep these in a container with a tight lid at room temp. Irene @ KAF

29. Sue Kimball

When I saw this recipe I knew I had to make these for Passover! So I made these tonight for our seder tomorrow. I forgot to put the three holes in them and didn’t dust them with the conf. sugar (not because it’s not kosher for passover, but again I forgot…). So I will let you know how they came out. I also took half the recipe and rolled them in pine nuts (my daughter’s request) – she tasted one of the and loved it! It should be interesting tomorrow night as we have more desserts than people! I have many cookbooks and love the New York Times Passover Cookbook – I made a great recipe from it for Mississippi Praline Macaroons – only 3 ingredients!

The pine nut variation sounds wonderful, Sue. Good Pesach – PJH

30. Andrea

I made the dough but it is very runny. Is there anything I can do to firm it up before trying to bake? I only had x large eggs so maybe that is the problem.
    The x large eggs could definitely be the problem. Try adding more ground nuts. Mary @ KAF

31. Gilda Gildenberg

Cookies taste good but the recipe made only 15 cookies- next time teaspoons instead of tablespoon size. Also- the cookies should be about 2 inches apart. Mine ran into each other. Almond paste comes in 8 oz. cans and is expensive. I cut the sugar which worked fine. Egg whites should definitely be beaten with a whisk and not a fork- food processor worked well.

Gilda, I used a tablespoon cookie scoop (4 level measuring teaspoons), and got 21 cookies; and they barely spread at all. Did you heap up your tablespoon measure, perhaps? Not sure why yours ran… And yes, a whisk works very well for beating egg whites – thanks for sharing that tip! PJH

1. chefara

Guess it’s a little late, but for those who, like me, have come to this recipe recently, let me correct PJH’s typo: A Tablespoon measurement is equal to *3* level measuring teaspoons, not 4. Delicious recipe.

32. Susan

Got ready to make these; was at the grocery store. It seems your product is not the standard. I can find Solo almond paste in 8 ounce cans and Odense (usually available wherever I have lived) in 7 ounce packages.

Now I have to redo the recipe for a different quantity of almond paste ’cause I really didn’t want to waste any by buying 2 containers. Gotta figure out what 80% of 2 large egg whites is for starters. Argh!

Sorry, didn’t realize the Love ‘N Bake products were so hard to find – we have them in our grocery store here. Since 75% would be 1 1/2 whites, that should be close enough… PJH

33. Judy Diehl

I made these yesterday and they are wonderful! They are chewy on the inside and a little crisp on the outside. I love anything almond so this was perfect. They are very easy to make. It made 21 cookies. I only had the 8 ounce size of almond paste, but I’m sure I will find a use for the leftover paste. I used the tablespoon cookie scoop. I will definitely make these again. I wonder if they freeze well?
    Hi Judy,
    The cookies freeze well before baking, but after baking they will lose their crisp texture. ~MaryJane

34. Sue Kimball

Well the cookies turned out great! I used the 8 oz Solo Almond Paste and used slightly less sugar (I tried to make it .8 cup), a little less egg (I used large eggs) and slightly less extract and bitter almond (I have some from Germany). They definitely were my family’s favor dessert item of the night (even without the indentations and powered sugar). The pine nut version was wonderful as well. I used my small scoop (1 tablespoon) and made at least 30. Thank you for a wonderful recipe! These will be on our Passover menu forever (and probably other times of the year as well!).

Good show, Sue! glad you were able to tweak and fiddle and get something you like. I’ll have to try rolling in pine nuts to make pignoli – I forgot all about them. Thanks for the reminder! PJH

35. Katie

While trying to find the ingredients for this recipe at my local supermarket, I was only able to find sweet almond oil, but not bitter. Can I still use this? And if so, do I need to change the recipe at all? Thanks!
    Katie, the regular almond oil will be just fine, no changes needed. ~ MaryJane

36. Andrew

I made these for Passover last night… I made the almond paste from scratch, which was so simple to do following this recipe that I found online:

1 cup blanched almonds
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg white
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 teaspoon almond extract

In a food processor, process the almonds and sugar until powdery, about 1 minute. Add the egg white, butter, and extract. Process until the mixture forms a ball. (Makes about 1-1/4 cups or 11 ounces)

The cookies were amazing, and such a hit! Thanks KAF!

37. Doris Kramer

Make these in the food processor, it’s a natural. Just substitute “food processor” for “stand mixer.” They were great, everyone loved them.

38. Nootsie

I am interested in finding a french macaroon recipe especially one that explains the piping process for forming the cookie. You all have the almond flour but how many does that make? Thanks

There are plenty of macaron (French spelling) recipes online, Nootsie – we spent quite some time working on one the past few weeks, but in the end decided it was too challenging for the typical home baker, and thus we didn’t want to include it in our catalogue. We might resurrect it at some point for this Web site – I’ll check into it with the women who were working on it… PJH

39. Christen

These cookies are amazing. I’ve now made 3 batches in less than a week, and I am giving out the cookies and the recipe to everyone I know. Thank you!

40. Bridget C

GLUTEN FREE BAKERS BE WARE: I did not have time to order almond paste from KAF, so I bought some at my local store. When I got home and looked at the package, right there clear as day in the ingredients was glucose syrup made from wheat starch….with wheat listed in the allergen line as well. ARGH. So, be sure to CHECK the label of your almond paste if you don’t get it from KAF (I have not confirmed the KAF to be gluten free yet, though, so someone should probably check that as well)
    Our almond paste happily is gluten free. JMD @KAF

41. Karly

I would love to try making these with Pistachio paste you sell, I can’t find many recipes out there using it. What would you recommend using extract wise to keep from overpowering the pistachio flavor?
    Hi Karly,
    Pistachio flavoring would enhance the pistachio flavoring rather than detract from it. I’d give that a try. ~ MaryJane

42. Lee-Ann

OMG! I have been looking for a recipe to make these cookies for 5 years now! The first time I had them was in Rome and I fell in love. They are very popular in Sicily. I have family send me boxes of them a few times a year! In Sicily they also make these cookies with pistachios!
    I am going to try this recipe and pray these are the same cookies!

Hope your prayers are answered, Lee-Ann… :) PJH

43. TC

I have been looking for a recipe like this for ages. I live in the UK. over here we don’t measure in cups. I have tried to convert the measure to grams or ounces but failed. The cookie mix I made was not a paste but a slop. It would not scoop into balls as the consistency was just too thin.
    I also cannot find almond paste. I used marzipan instead. Is this where I want wrong?

Please Help!
    HI TC,
    Unfortunately, the marzipan has a lot more sugar than almond paste, and that can definitely throw off the recipe. Using our ingredient weight chart here may also help you with the recipe conversion. Good luck! ~ MaryJane

44. Wendy

I have a friend that has gluten, dairy and egg restrictions. Is there anything you would suggest to substitute for the egg in these cookies?
    I would recommend the Ener-G egg replacement. We have found it to work with our gluten free cookie mix. ~Amy @KAF

Or try this: To make gluten-free cookies without the egg called for in a recipe, you may replace the egg with either a flax gel, or a starch-based egg replacer. Both types of egg replacers work well; the flax gel makes chewier cookies, while the starch-based replacer yields crisper cookies.

Flax gel egg replacer: For 1 large egg, use 2 tablespoons flax meal (the more finely ground, the better) blended with 3 tablespoons cold water. Let for 10 minutes to thicken before blending into cookie mix.

Starch-based egg replacer, for 1 large egg:
    1 1/2 teaspoons tapioca starch
    1 1/2 teaspoons potato starch
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon (a big pinch) xanthan gum
    3 tablespoons cold water

Whisk everything together. Let sit for 10 minutes, then whisk until it appears lighter; the mixture will increase in volume a bit. The idea is to trap some air bubbles to help with leavening the same way eggs do. – PJH

45. gfvegheads

Wowee, is it me or are these insanely sweet?! From the looks of the above comments, it’s just me (but then again, I don’t have a sweet tooth.) The cookies were delicious and I will definitely make them again, but I’ll halve the sugar next time. (Just double-checked, and I used your recommended brand of almond paste, not marzipan, so that wasn’t it… must be my taste buds!)

Anyway, thanks much for a great gluten-free recipe!
    You can certainly decrease the sugar if they seem too sweet for your tastes, but the sugar lends to the chewy texture in the cookies. I would decrease 1/4 cup at a time. ~Amy

46. Bill

I made some of these cookies last night, very tasty. I followed the recipe with the exception of the sugar. I used half cup of Sucralose in place of the sugar. It seemed like the right amount of sweetness, not overbearing, but sweet enough for the taste.

I didn’t have any almond extract or bitter almond, but I had and used a 1/4 tsp. of Capella Toasted Almond flavoring I got from Netrition.com. The almond taste of both the paste and flavoring were spot on to me.

This was the 1st time I used almond paste [Love N Bake] and when I opened the can it appeared like a baseball size and had to be cut with a knife to get it out of the can and into the food processor. I presumed it would be like a peanutbutter or butter like consistency, but not so. The food processor had a tough time chopping up the paste, sugar mixture at first before it started to crumble. Best to cut the paste up into smaller chunks at first to help the processor do it’s job.

After mixing the eggwhites/flavoring, I scooped out tablespoons of the mix unto a silicone line cookie sheet. I got 15 cookies out of the batch.

I tried mixing some Almond flour, maybe a couple of tablespoons, with the last 4 cookies to stretch out the mixture some. I broke up some bittersweet chocolate I had, and pushed a few chunks into several cookies. This worked well, and tasted yummo.

I had no confectionery sugar, so I lightly dusted sucralose on top of the cookies instead to prevent the finger sticking.

The addition of the almond flour to the last few cookies still had that almondy chewy flavor, just a tad bit drier, but still deliciously chewy. So the almond flour if used sparingly will help extend the batch.

This was the 1st time I used a silicone mat as well. The cookies came out awesome, crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and the bottoms were evenly toasted golden brown. These mats save a lot of greasing, spraying, and cleanup is a breeze. The cookie sheet didn’t even have to be cleaned!

At $11 a can of almond paste I think I will try adding some more almond flour next time to stretch out the batch. Maybe add some coconut oil, so it doesn’t get too dry. The 15 cookies I got are pretty pricey, but they were also very awesomely tasty! I could eat the whole batch in one sitting, that’s how good they are.

Bon Appetit

47. Antonio

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Although it’s a quick and easy recipe the photos and your explanation made it really simple for my daughter and I to follow along together. We may have missed it, but it would be helpful if you had the full list of ingredients at the top. I.e

10 ounces almond paste
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs.
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    1/8 teaspoon bitter almond oil.
    Confectioners’ sugar

Optional: 1 cup chocolate chips

Thanks again
    Antonio @ Recipe Conversion

It may be easier to just link on to the recipe from the blog entry in order to view the list of ingredients with ease. ~Amy

48. bambicats55

These look so delicious that I must try some. I am curious, though, as to what you are using as a sifter for the confectioners sugar. Is that a teaball?

Exactly, Bambi – it’s a teaball. I find it useful for all kinds of small sifting tasks. PJH

49. ragskne

I loved the flavor of these cookies. Very similar to a lost family favorite my grandmother used to make. Although the flavor was spot on – the cookies were very flat. Thy didn’t run together, but were not “cloud like”. Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong?

A few thoughts: Did you follow the recipe by using large eggs (not extra-large or jumbo)? Were they store-bought (not home-raised)? And did you use almond paste (not marzipan)? Any of these might have added either too much sugar or too much liquid to the dough, causing spread… PJH

50. BrandiLynn

I had a monster brain fart and got paste when I meant to get filling – BUT I found your chewy cookie recipe! I am going to make it, but instead of the chocochips, I am going to add dried cherry bits, as my beloved is an almond/cherry fiend!

Thank you for this recipe! I am not keen on crispidy cookies and its a challenge to find such a simple and non crispidy cookie recipe!

51. Gail Marirea

I’ve been looking for this recipe for ages. However, where I live there is no almond paste to be found so I tried an internet recipe–the only one which was incorrectly written it seems. My mix turned out very runny. So, after having blanched and peeled all those almonds I wasn’t about to throw the mix out. I followed the recipe using half the runny almond paste mix and kept adding flour until the mix was thick enough to hold together. I pressed sliced almonds into the tops of the cookies and baked them expecting a complete disaster. They turned out wonderful–a little flatter than they should have been but chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside. Instead of making two lots of cookies, I put the balance of the mixture into a square cake pan and made cookie bars. Don’t know which I like better as they’re both delicious. I’m using the rest of the runny almond paste mixture today and adding flour to it just as I did before as they are soooooo good.
    I admire you for trying to make your own almond paste, Gail! The consistency can sure vary as you found out first hand. I am pleased you were able to improvise and create something delicious. Folks also get a little confused between almond paste and marzipan and that can wreak havoc on some recipes as they are not always interchangeable. I think I have to make these cookies, Gail. I am being lured by the picture with the chocolate chips! Elisabeth

52. Eeswanson

anyone have any idea approximately how many calories are in a cookie? thanks! gluten free and dieting!! :)

While we do not have nutritional information for this recipe, we do hope to offer nutritionals on all of our recipes in the future. In the meantime, there are several websites that offer free nutritional analysis of recipes.

We like http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp and

Frank @ KAF.

53. gaa

The past two Christmases, I made an almond cookie similar to this. It was very good; in fact, people who ate them really enjoyed them. Then I found this recipe. Read PJ’s blog on it and thought this looks really good, better than the other recipe somehow, probably because of the extra almond oil (I’m like my mom — really, really REALLY love almond flavor!!) and, of course, the bittersweet chips. So I placed an order for the almond paste and the oil and made the cookies this past weekend. This recipe is EXCEPTIONAL!! They came out perfectly, crispy on the outside, then chewy almondy goodness on the inside that was light, light, light in texture like, well, a cloud. And what do the bittersweet chips bring to this flavor party?? That WOW WOW WOW factor! These cookies just disappeared. SO out with the old recipe, in with this recipe and I ain’t looking back. This recipe is a masterpiece. Thank you KAF for sharing a recipe so similar to your best selling cookie in the bakery. For those of us who can’t make the pilgrimage to Vermont, this recipe brings your Vermont bakery to our own kitchen.

54. sasand

I took these cookies to a party yesterday and everyone loved them. However, I found them too sweet. I used the almond paste that comes in a roll because I didn’t have time to buy the brand that King Arthur sells. So that may have contributed to the overwhelming sweetness.

I am wondering if I could decrease the sugar to half a cup and replace it with some ground almonds in order to get the sweetness down to a level that I would find more satisfactory. However, I am concerned that the texture of the cookies would be changed if I did that. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

The texture would probably be less chewy, more crumbly; but that may very well be a tradeoff you’re willing to make, eh? If you try this, let us know how they come out, OK? Thanks. PJH

55. info293

Made these today and even made my own paste from scratch – TURNED OUT AWESOME! Not only do they look like a million bucks they taste AMAZING! As a gluten free person these are great for the house hold with gluten eaters – can’t tell the difference because there’s no nasty wheat free flour in it! A+++

Thanks so much – glad you’re enjoying the cookies. That’s one of our top-ranked recipes, and for good reason, eh? Happy holidays – PJH

56. SandyG

I just came across this recipe for the Almond Cloud Cookies for the first time, and they sound heavenly! My question is: I am a tad nervous about using the bitter almond oil. If I substitute plain everyday almond oil, would the flavor be compromised?

If the almond oil is just a cooking oil, then I would not use it. If you have an almond extract, that will be better: use just a 1/4 tsp! Best, Kim@KAF

57. Sherry R

I make these cookies whenever I have a craving for something and don’t know what it is….these cookies absolutely satisfy! And lucky me, my husband doesn’t like almonds so I get them all for myself! These are absolutely the easiset and best cookies ever. (I do only lightly dust with confectioner’s sugar though – otherwise they were too sweet)

58. Gallos

I made 15 macaroon tarts using this filling. The almond paste came as a rock-hard block, difficult to chop up. However by the time the mixture had been beaten and blended together, adding the egg-whites made it almost runny,…and NOI didn’t use Ostrich eggs!! it would appear that, in my case, only one egg white would have been sufficient. Incidentally, I used only 1/2 cup of sugar as recommended by some subscribers. Any suggestions?

Using less sugar would have made this mixture more runny as it the main ingredient that will absorb moisture in this recipe. I would agree that one less egg white would have helped.-Jon

59. George Allso

Just made my third batch of these with same results each time. It appears that two egg whites are one too many since the mixture is runny and spreads out on the baking sheet. Perhaps our local eggs are larger!! I’ll try again using just one….George

60. Gloria

I only have a 7 oz container of almond paste and I want to make these today or tomorrow. Odense Almond Paste is not gluten free, but I’m going to use it for gluten-tolerant folks first.
    Would I cut all ingredients to about 3/4 of the amounts shown on the recipe?

Yes, Gloria, that should work fine. Beat the egg whites, and weigh or measure out 3/4; the rest of the ingredients are pretty straightforward, as far as reducing to 3/4. Good luck! PJH

61. Gloria

I’ve got all the ingredients and I”m ready to make these.
    How do I store them?
    How long do they stay fresh-tasting?

Gloria, this is a nice, moist cookie, and stays fresh for at least a week, I’d guess, at room temperature. Hard to say, since they never last that long in my house! Store them wrapped in plastic or in a plastic container, to retain their moisture. Enjoy – PJH

62. Gloria

Just eating a warm cookie from the oven. AMAZINGLY good! Thanks for your replies to my questions above. I used the 7 oz container of ***Odense*** almond paste and reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup, took two tablespoons of liquid out of the frothy egg whites (probably could have just used one egg white as my cookies were a bit flat), and kept the salt and almond extract the same. I used an 1/8 t of orange extract instead of the almond oil. Used my 1.5 T cookie scoop and they only took 17 minutes to bake. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and easy to make. Pretty darn near perfect!!! ***Odense almond paste is NOT gluten free (it contains wheat starch) so don’t use it for GF folks.

Thanks for checking back, Gloria – glad to hear the cookies turned out well for you. And thanks for the Odense warning, for those baking GF – appreciate you sharing! PJH

63. Sandy Gillespie (Please don't print my last name)

I plan to make these delicious cookies after having bought some at KAF on a recent return to the Upper Valley. I, like some others, found them very sweet and rich. However, I would not change a thing about the recipe. I would just like to make them a bit smaller. As I am not a consummate baker, I would love some advice on making them a tad smaller. Thank you!
    Sandy

Sandy, make them about half the size by scooping the dough balls smaller; I use a teaspoon cookie scoop when I want smaller cookies. You can make just one indentation, too. You’ll want to bake them for a shorter time – maybe 12 to 15 minutes? I’d suggest you bake one or two first, and nail the time, before doing the whole recipe and deciding you’d baked them too long (or not long enough). Good luck – PJH

64. Debbie Movelle

After 3 tries, I finally perfected the first cookie sheet, the ones I added dark chocolate chips to I over cooked…they looked fine on top, but too dark on the bottom…LOVE this RECIPE!!!
    Thank you so much!
    First time I bought almond filling, cuz that’s all they had at one supermarket. When i had a runny mess, i added almond flour, they were good but too too chewy! Talk about making a cookie last in your mouth! Second time the second egg i separated was a double yolk! And a little tiny bit of yolk got in there I could not spoon out, they didn’t rise too well, so I tried again, i was determined to make a cookie that looked like yours! YUMMY!!! Now I am going to try to make them again with the chocolate chips and take them out a little sooner than 20 min!

65. Michelle

New to the Gluten Free World – Love to bake – made these cookies – DELICIOUS and they taste like a from scratch cookie not a vegtable! Thank you so much…..Michelle Henrie

What a great first dive into gluten-free baking Michelle! Congratulations on your success and we hope to keep helping you have many more successes in the future! Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

66. del

I ate a very similar cookie in a cafe near where in live in B.C. Canada. The owner/chef was sitting nearby and told me I was in for a treat. When I bit into it, I knew what he meant. I loved it right away. Then, he proceeded to tell me how to make it. I was shy and thought it would be rude to whip out my notebook and write it all down. Of course, by the time I got out of the cafe, I had forgotten most of what he told me (my memory!) Anyway, on my way home, I stopped at the local supermarket and bought almond paste which incidentally, was not on the shelves. I asked the baker in the baked good section and she measured out some from a large container, weighed it and sold it to me. This was Christmas eve by the way. I came home and searched the internet – typing in keywords like crazy. OMG! I found this and it totally resonated with what the chef in the cafe told me. Honestly, I hadn’t even removed my coat but proceeded to make this recipe and it was so very amazing. Thank you. I might still have a photo in my iphone!

67. quey2

I made these cookies yesterday, and they are Very Good!! They are exactly like pignoli cookies. I didn’t put pine nuts on them, but they taste just like the pignoli.. Very, Very easy to make. The only thing for me was, I could only find almond paste in 8oz. cans, so I used a 1/4 of a second can. worked out fine..

We’re so glad to hear you enjoyed these! They are one of my all time favorites, which out of thousands of recipes is saying a lot! Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

68. Kathleen

My daughter and I bought these cookies at the shop in Norwich. I have never liked the taste of Almond such as marzipan. But these cookies are so delicious. I will be making them for the holidays. Ordering my almond oil and almond paste today

I am with you Kathleen! Even being a fan of all things almond, these cookies have been one of my all-time favorites in any category for several years now. And they are so simple to make as well! Happy Holiday Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

69. justginster

A client gifted my office today with a cookie tray from a local bakery, and among the assortment were these chewy almond cookies. I’d never had anything like them before, and I couldn’t stop eating them! I immediately went online to try to figure out what they were, and came across KA’s recipe. Impatient to try this recipe and confirm whether it was the same as what I’d sampled earlier, I picked up almond paste after work and had these baking away lickety-split. Unfortunately the bitter almond oil wasn’t something I could find at the store, so I went without…I also didn’t bother with extra powdered sugar topping or finger impressions, but the cookies turned out just perfect! I was worried with reading other’s reviews that I might have issues with runny batter, but mine turned out just as pictured in this post. The only thing I’d note is that my cookies were already getting pretty browned by the 15 minute mark, so I’d suggest keeping an eye on them earlier on to prevent over-baking…I pulled mine out at about 18 minutes. I’m loving how quick and easy, yet delicious these turned out to be! Thanks for a great recipe!

This is one of my favorite recipes ever! It is easy and quick and always impresses! If carry the Bitter Almond Oil on our site and our catalog. It is super duper strong so I recommend using an eye dropper to dispense! Elisabeth@KAF

70. Sally in VT

I craved the flavor of these cookies, so I made a trip across to your KAF store in Norwich to find the bitter almond oil, but needed assistance from your able floor clerks to establish that the Bitter Oil specified in the recipe was the equivalent of the tersely labeled “Almond” bottle on the shelf. Now it’s a snow day so it’s time to fire up the oven….

It is possible to make your own almond paste in a food processor; do a Google search for a recipe. It won’t be quite as smooth and fine as the premade, but it will work just fine and have a bit more texture. Happy baking! Laurie@ KAF

71. Sharon Williamson

Can splenda baking be used in this recipe. I’m a diabetic and need to control the carbs. Recipe sounds good.

We don’t test with substitutions, but you should check out the Splenda website for guidance on substituting the sugar. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF