Worth their salt: Gourmet Soda Crackers

With the approximately 697 varieties of crackers on supermarket shelves, why would you ever, EVER choose to make your own crackers?

Because you can.

Because it’s fun. And because you like spending time in your kitchen surrounded by cookbooks and bowls and timers and butter and flour and your kids, who hang out to lick the bowl and get some face-time with Mom.

And also because, believe it or not – with ALL of those aforementioned 697 varieties of crackers available at the grocery store – your homemade crackers actually taste different: fresh, flavorful, and made with love.

The following crackers have a depth of flavor way beyond most anything you could buy. The secret?

Yeast. And time. An overnight rise in the fridge allows yeast to grow slowly in a cool environment, where it releases organic acids and alcohol that ramp up flavor wonderfully. Not only in crackers, but in pizza crust, rolls, bread… anything yeasty.

So get out your rolling pin, and be prepared to acquire a new skill here: cracker-making.

Store-bought, meet homemade – and may the tastiest cracker win!

img_6909.JPG

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

1 1/2 cups Italian-Style Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon King Arthur Easy-Roll Dough Improver, optional but helpful
1 teaspoon sugar

Mix till thoroughly combined.

Put 6 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons butter, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a microwave-safe cup, or in a saucepan. Heat gently just to melt the butter. Remove from the heat, and cool to 120°F-130°F. If you don’t have a thermometer, this will feel hotter than lukewarm, but not at all uncomfortably hot; it’ll be cooler than your hottest tap water.

img_6912.JPG

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients.

img_7279.JPG

Beat first at medium speed, to combine; then at high speed, for a total of about 90 seconds, to make a soft dough.

img_7282.JPG

Notice how rough this is, compared to well-kneaded yeast dough; that’s OK.

img_7480.JPG

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl (or measuring cup), cover it, and refrigerate overnight, or for up to 18 hours. It won’t rise much; the bowl or cup can be small.

img_7484.JPG

See? Not much rise.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and allow it to rest for about 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

img_7315.JPG

Lightly flour a work surface (a silicone rolling mat works well here), and remove the dough from its rising bowl. It won’t feel like normal yeast dough; it’ll be more clay-like. Shape the dough into a 3” x 5” rectangular block.

img_7316.JPG

Pre-shaping it like this will help you roll it out evenly.

img_7317.JPG

Roll it into a rough 13” x 15” rectangle; it’ll be quite thin. Be sure to keep the rolling surface well-floured, to avoid sticking.

img_7318.JPG

Starting with a shorter side, fold the dough in three…

img_7319.JPG

…like a business letter.

img_7320.JPG

Turn it 90°, and roll it out again, this time to an 11” x 19” rectangle, or thereabouts. The dough will shrink when you stop rolling it; your goal is to end up with a rectangle that’s about 10” x 18”.

img_7321.JPG

Notch the edges of the dough at 2” intervals; this will help you cut nice, straight 2” crackers.

Next, select your topping salt(s).

img_6926.JPG

With all of the gourmet-type salts out there now, which two did I choose for this recipe? Sarah’s Tuscan sea salt (left), because it combines salt and Italian-style herbs so beautifully; and Yakima applewood smoked sea salt, because I’m a fool for smoky, grill-type flavors.

img_7322.JPG

Sprinkle the dough with your choice of salt, and gently press it in with the rolling pin.

img_7324.JPG

Using a rolling pizza wheel (easiest) or a baker’s bench knife, cut the dough into 2” squares. Note: If you’re using a silicone mat, cut very carefully – you don’t want to damage the mat. We like to use an acrylic-blade pizza wheel.

img_7325.JPG

The crackers on the edges will be a bit misshapen. If you like, trim them straight. I just don’t care about appearances that much to take this extra step; but go for it, if you’re into perfection.

img_7326.JPG

Transfer the crackers to two lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheets; I’m using one of my favorite tools here, a giant spatula.

img_7327.JPG

Put the crackers fairly close together, as they’ll shrink as they bake, rather than spread. Prick each one once or twice with the tines of a fork.

img_7329.JPG

Put the crackers in the oven.

img_7330.JPG

Bake them for about 10 minutes, till they’re a very light golden brown. Watch them carefully towards the end of the baking time; they can darken very quickly. Notice how nicely they puff up.

img_7338.JPG

On the left, a cracker I forgot to poke with a fork, prior to baking – a perfect little balloon! On the right, one that was poked; light, flaky layers.

Turn off the oven, and open the door completely. Yes, completely; this isn’t one of those “crack the oven door” times.

Leave the pans of crackers on the oven rack; they’re going to cool down right in the cooling oven, in order to preserve their crispness. Keep your eye on them for the first couple of minutes; if for some reason your oven isn’t cooling off quickly, and the crackers are continuing to brown, pull the rack out partway.

img_7337.JPG

When the crackers are completely cool, remove them from the oven.

img_7448.JPG

Stack o’ crackers. Now, don’t you feel a sense of accomplishment?

Wrap any leftovers airtight, to preserve their crispness. I stored some in a plastic zip-top bag for a couple of weeks, to see how they’d keep; fine.

Then I threw them in my glass cracker jar at home. Several weeks after that – at least 3 weeks, I’d reckon – I found a few strays at the bottom of the jar. Just as tasty as ever. These crackers remain fresh-tasting and crisp for a LONG time. Good to the last crumb!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Gourmet Soda Crackers.

comments

1. Shannon

These look yummy! I was wondering about how long you think it took them to completely cool. I can foresee needing to watch the oven as my dog would be very interested in these and my oven is under the counter. Thanks!
    Too funny Shannon! With 3 doggies in our house, I can certainly sympathize. It will take probably 45-80 minutes for the crackers to cool, depending on your oven, room temp. etc. Maybe you and the poocher could go play outside while you wait. Then you’ll both be ready for a snack when you come in. :) ~ MaryJane

2. Mags

I had to laugh when you commented about why anyone would make their own crackers when there are so many varieties already out there on the market. It’s the challenge… I get it! I’m the one that will take an entire day to make something from scratch that could easily be bought by standing in line for five minutes at the grocery store. It seems ridiculous, but I get what you’re saying…LOL!

That said, I failed big time when I tried to make my own lavash crackers and I’ve since left my cracker making up to the professional elves at Keebler. However, this blog post has sparked an interest and I’m going to give it another shot. They look absolutely delicious, by the way.

You’re a woman after my own heart, Mags… Try these crackers, the elves might lose your business. :) PJH

3. Scott

My (obvious) question is “How about substituting an equal protein flour?” if we don’t have the Italian 00 flour on hand. I reason that the flour flavor would is more noticeable in slow yeast rising doughs that bubble away for days. This is a relatively quick, chemically leavened dough, which makes me wonder if the strong american flour flavor would be very noticeable in a side by side tasting?

Sure, Scott – if you have an 8.5% protein or thereabouts, it should act the same. Our Italian-style flour is American – it’s simply milled to those Italian protein specs. Also, notice there is in fact yeast in this dough – and it rests overnight. That’s what creates the flavor, not the type of flour. PJH

4. Teresa

Mmm, these look terrific. I’ve made crackers from the Bread Baker’s Apprentice book and homemade are delicious. Yours look great. The only problem is that home made crackers disappear far quicker than the time it takes to make them!

Absolutely true, Teresa – which is why I hid these, segregated from the rest of my cracker supply. There are SOME in my house who can’t distinguish between homemade and store-bought (read: don’t appreciate), so I saved these for myself! :) PJH

5. Mrs. Hittle

i’ve never heard of yeast crackers! This i must try. What’s the distinctiveness of the Italian-style flour? Is there a good substitute?

The Italian-style flour is simply easier to roll, and makes a crisper cracker due to its lower gluten content (8.5% protein). Substitute pastry flour or another lower-gluten flour if you like; or simply accept that it’ll take you a few stages to roll the dough, since with higher protein flour you’ll need to let it rest a couple of times for the gluten to relax. PJH

6. AmandaLP

what is the purpose of cooling them off in the oven? What happens if they are pulled out and left to cook on the counter or cooling rack?

They wouldn’t be as crisp/crunchy, Amanda. The cool-off in the oven makes sure that last little bit of moisture inside the crackers doesn’t migrate out to the surface and condense in the cooler kitchen air – by leaving them in the oven, any moisture is dried out as soon as it hits the warmer oven air. PJH

7. Marianna

I am up in the middle of the night (or the wee hours of the morning) trying to resist the temptation to snack. Of course I decide to check out what’s going on at KA and I get smacked in the eyes with some really yummy looking crackers! I have never made crackers but this is just the inspiration I need to get me started. These crackers look like just the kind of thing that quells your hunger when you need a quick bite but want it to be real and delicious. I seriously doubt you would ever say “Why did I eat that?” after having a stack of these crackers. I am going through my busy season at work so I am a bit behind on my baking projects but I think this is something that will jump to the head of line! I am going to order the Italian style flour and those beautiful salts and get crackin’ on the crackers on April 16th! :)

“Get crackin’ on the crackers” – thanks for an early morning smile, Marianna, and I hope your workload lightens soon so you can get back to the REALLY important stuff – baking. :) PJH

8. Becky

I was just thinking that it was time to try another cracker recipe. Great timing as always, KAF! :) These look great! I can’t wait to try them.

They seem plain, till you taste them – I’m telling you, that overnight rise in the fridge gives them real depth of flavor… and they seem to get better the longer they sit. Enjoy, Becky – PJH

9. Erin in PA

Hurray! I bought a package of your Italian flour a while back and am looking forward to trying it with this recipe. I have never made savory crackers before, but I have spoiled my family by making graham crackers. Once you have homemade, it’s VERY hard to go back to the store bought! :) I am mixing them up before I head off to work!

You go, girl! Have fun- PJH

10. Kristen

I have made homemade “wheat thins” and absolutely loved them, but they didn’t have yeast in them. I so intrigued by this recipe that I am going to have to try these. Thank you for the tip of pressing the flavored salt into the dough with the rolling pin. That is exactly what was missing in my crackers. I sprinkled them with salt, but it mostly fell off.

Yes, Kristen, there are what I think of as the “pie crust” type of crackers, like wheat thins; and the leavened crackers, like these, or those leavened with abking powder/soda (or both yeast and chemical leavening, as these are). I think the leavened ones are more “crackery.” Hope you enjoy these – PJH

11. Trisha

My husband once made fun of me for making cheese crackers but then ate them all up. I don’t have Italian-style flour, but I do have several bags of Perfect Pizza Blend–do you think that would work? This sounds fun and like something that will help in my ongoing efforts to master rolling out dough.

Perfect pizza blend is higher protein than AP flour, Trisha, and would be harder to roll. I wouldn’t go there. Better to use KA AP flour, if you don’t have a lower protein flour. (You can do this! Think positively! Rolling dough is definitely a challenge till you’ve done it a lot, then it becomes second nature…” Good luck – PJH

12. Angela

These sound wonderful! I just bought your whole grain baking cookbook and I am really getting into baking with whole grains. Is there a whole grain substitute for the Italian flour? I recently went to Whole Foods and bought oat flour, spelt, barley, wheat, millet, quinoa, etc. (I know a little overboard!) so I would love to use an alternative to the flour you mention, just not sure which one would be best…

Angela – The Italian flour has a low protein level of 8.5 %. This flour is unenriched and milled from soft red winter wheat. It is perfect for making flat breads and crackers. You just stocked up on a alot of nice whole grains. This flour is not a whole grain. Your best bet is to use some all purpose flour and you could substitute with some white whole wheat flour to get some whole grain in the recipe. You are in the experimental phase! Elisabeth @ KAF

13. FRAN S (IN PA)

I WOULD ASSUME THE VARIATIONS ARE ENDLESS. I WAS THINKING ABOUT A SPRINKLING OF GARLIC SALT AND FRESH GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE, MAYBE A LITTLE OREGANO TO BOOT.
    I THINK I’D REALLY LIKE TO TRY THESE AND GRAHAM CRACKERS AS WELL. DOES KAF OFFER A RECIPE FOR THOSE? OR PERHAPS ERIN IN PA WOULD BE WILLING TO SHARE.
    I WILL BE MAKING PIZZELLES, ALMOND COOKIES AND CLASSIC CHALLAH THIS WEEK TO BRING TO EASTER DINNER. MAYBE CRACKERS TOO.
    HAPPY EASTER AND HAPPY PASSOVER TO ALL!

Fran, here’s our graham cracker recipe, and our chocolate graham cracker recipe. And happy holidays to you, too! PJH

14. deede

PJ,
    How long is the shelf-life of flours like Italian flour, or the Queen Quinevere flour or any of the “specialty” flours? I go through regular flour fairly quickly, so I don’t really have an idea about these others that I might use less frequently.
    Thanks!
    These crackers are VERY tempting!

Deede, most non-whole-grain flours (AP, cake, Italian, etc.) are good for a year or so at room temperature, longer tightly wrapped in the freezer. When storing at room temperature, add a bay leaf to the canister – it discourages pests. Whole-grain flours should be frozen if you’re not going to use them within a month or so. Hope this helps – PJH

15. Jeanna

I wonder how the Vermont Cheese powder would impact this recipe? Cheese is one of my favorite flavors.

Try our Vermont Cheese Crackers recipe, Jeanna. And yes, I’m assuming you could add maybe 1/3 cup cheese powder to this recipe – though I haven’t tried it, so no guarantees… PJH

1. Amy

Jeanna, I took the route of adding 2 tbsp of cheese powder to the dough and then sprinkling a bit more on the rolled-out dough before the “fold like a letter” step and it worked beautifully. I didn’t want a full-on cheese cracker, only something with a bit of savory roundness to them; if that interests you, I’d recommend trying it.

16. bill

“…and get some face-time with Mom.”

Ahem. Or with Dad.

Just sayin’….

I hear you, Bill. Sorry – my bad! PJH

17. bill

to FRAN S (IN PA) —

I wish I had your energy in baking! Not to mention, a pizzelle iron — or a way to retrofit different plates onto, say, our Foreman grill, or the waffle maker…

18. Kathy

Thanks for shining a light on the joy of making crackers! They’re one of those foods that many people — even avid bakers — seem to blank on, forgetting that the reason why the big companies sell us their crackers is because they’re just doing what people used to do at home, and for a profit. There are as many kinds of crackers as there are imaginations; I like to tell people who are agog that I take the time to make them that a great place to start is to add a favorite herb or spice to a favorite pie crust recipe. Besides, if a baker can handle other types of dough and batter, there’s no reason that a baker shouldn’t take a stab at crackers. They can be as easy or as complicated as one wants.

Bernard Clayton has written some baking books with terrific cracker recipes; his New Complete Book of Breads is a good place to start, I think.

You’re absolutely right, Kathy – Bernard Clayton’s New Complete Book of Breads is what got me started on crackers, many years ago. In fact, this cracker recipe is similar to one of his. the book is well worth a look-see. PJH

19. Sherri

Ooh, these look good. I’ve been really wanting to try a cracker recipe lately, but like others have been a bit intimidated by having to roll it out really thin.

If you’re going to bake on parchment paper anyway, would it be useful to roll it out on the parchment paper, or would that be too tricky? I thought it might save a step of transferring, and might also save your rolling mat from accidental cuts too.

Another idea I remember hearing somewhere is the idea of using a pasta roller to roll out cracker dough really thin. Would that work here, or would the dough be the wrong consistency?

Thanks as always for your wonderful blog!

Both of those options would work, Sherri. For sure. it’s a bit tricky to make the parchment stand still for the rolling, but you can try anchoring it with something heavy; or wetting it very lightly. Tape doesn’t stick, I tried it (well, DUH, nothing sticks! That’s the point…) And yeah, give the pasta machine a go – excellent idea. Cheers – PJH

20. Becky in GSO

These look lovely. It’s really nice that these crackers keep well, but hardly pertinent. If past experience is any indication, this recipe, like others from this site, will not yield leftovers. I doubt they’d ever get past the pan-on-the-stovetop stage.

That’s what hiding places are for, Becky. I put mine in a mason jar behind the prunes in the cupboard – not somewhere most people would look! :) PJH

21. Jamie

This looks so delicious! After making my own graham crackers, I’m never going back to getting them from the store! I have a bunch of chickpea flour left over from a cookie recipe. Could I substitute that for the Italian-style flour? Or is it better to just use all purpose?

Jamie, you could try maybe 1/3 chickpea and 2/3 AP – not sure how it would work, but worth a try for sure. PJH

22. Daria

These look divine, like everything you make. It’s nice to know that you don’t have to buy crackers!

I’m wondering, since Kraft discontinued the Nabisco Crown Pilot crackers a couple of years back, if you would consider putting together a recipe for us chowder-loving New Englanders who are without our favorite chowder companion. I know they’re in the hardtack family but I’m kind of afraid to try out any online recipes – I don’t want to end up with dozens of inedible bricks and waste my precious KAF.

I’m thinking these might double for Crown Pilot if you skip the salt on top (as I recall, Crown Pilot weren’t salted, right?); and make them thicker and cut them larger, Daria. Give it a try if you like – let us know how it goes. PJH

23. Phil W

Nice looking Crackers, but, c’mon, men bake too. “Face time with mom?” Lets not perpetuate stereotypes.

(I enjoy the blog though, and I’ll continue to check it often ;-)

24. Betsy

2 questions — could I use my sourdough for the yeast, and/or could I use baker’s ammonia for the chemical leavening? How much of either would I use, and what amounts of other ingredients would I need to change? We haven’t tried sourdough or baker’s ammonia in these, but it might be worth a try. I would try using 1/2 cup sour dough starter for 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup of the flour, and maybe about 1/8 of a teaspoon of baker’s ammonia. Give it a try and let us know how it comes out. Have fun with it!

25. Dana Booth

Can you bake it as one huge cracker and then break into irregular ones afterwards? What would you suspect the effect on baking time would be? I’m thinking longer, but not sure by how much. These look great!

My feeling is they wouldn’t be as crisp – the outside ones would be crisper, the inside ones softer… Maybe cut the dough into 4 to 6 larger squares, if you don’t like the thought of moving a lot of crackers around. But I don’t think I’d leave it all in one big piece, Dana. PJH

26. Lyn from PA

I’m wondering if this dough would be amenable to the pasta rolling attachment to the mixer. When I make pasta, I run the dough through a few times, folding it over and over so there are layers. Then lay it out and cut it. It would be a uniform width.

Absolutely, Lyn – since you’ve got a pasta machine, go for it! PJH

27. Bridget C

So, you say a low-gluten flour is best for more crunch…hence the italian-style flour…so, how about making a gluten free cracker recipe? there is no commercially made “cheeze it” type cracker, and not any really good “saltine” type crackers on the gluten free market right now…

We’re trying to forge ahead with gluten-free recipes, Bridget – right now (as we speak) I’m baking my third batch of GF biscotti. I’ll definitely share your request with our product development team – thanks! PJH

28. Deb in SC

I agree 100% with the because you can and because you enjoy it statements. I had a dinner party once and the morning of the party decided I didn’t want to go to the store and would make dinner out of whatever I had on hand. Somehow I had NO STARCH at all…not potatoes, rice, noodles…nothing. So, I decided to make noodles….they were awesome, but all of friends said ‘you’d rather MAKE noodles than go to the store and buy them’? Some people just don’t get it….

29. Barb

Can I substitute baker’s ammonia for the soda? If so, how much?
    Love your website.
    Thanks,
    Barb
    We haven’t tried it but you should use 1/8 teaspoon in place of both the baking soda and cream of tarter. Let us know how it comes out! Molly @ KAF

30. Lynn

Sherri, if you have a silicone baking mat/sheet you can lay your parchment right on top of it and roll your crackers out on the parchment. It anchors the parchment beautifully.

Oh, nice idea, Lynn – thanks, I’ll try that! PJH

31. Renee @kudoskookies

Holy cow those look like a lot of work but so worth the effort! I appreciate the recipe post and all those wonderful photos. If I ever were to attempt making these (and who knows? maybe someday I’ll try) I think I’d have to do mine ‘free form’ without all that pesky measuring (but that’s just me). Thanks for the recipe!
    Renee

32. Dorene

Hi I am Dorene and I am living in Singapore.
    I love to bake and very impress with King Arthur recipes .
    I try to get King Arthur unbleached AP Flour but seem not available here.
    It is possible for you to advise me whether can I get them in my country?

Thanks & Regards
    Dorene Tay
    Hi Dorene, you would have to place an order through us and we’ll ship it to you. Email us at customercare@kingarthurflour.com and we’ll be happy to help you. Molly @ KAF

33. Doris

PJ, I baked the whole wheat/flax crackers when the recipe first came out and they were a bit too hard for me. I prefer my crackers lighter with flaky layers like these. Do you think I can add yeast to the recipe to make it lighter?

Hmmm… no, not really, Doris. I think yeast crackers are an entirely different process. But you could try making these half whole wheat and using seeds on top instead of (in addition to) salt – that might be a good solution. PJH

34. Lee

words like mono and diglycerides, hydrogenated soybean oil and the like are why I started looking for homemade cracker recipes. But so far I’m the only one who will really eat them and I’m the one who doesn’t need to! What is the secret behind getting them crackery-crisp vs. break-a-tooth crunchy? And do you think a tortilla press would work for rolling out?
    I have a sourdough cracker recipe next up on the docket (found it online) so I’ll try and let you know how that goes. But I would like to try these yummy looking crackers soon too!

Lee, these crackers are your answer – I know exactly what you mean by hard vs. light/crunchy – these fall into the latter category. You could press with a tortilla press, though not sure it’s easier – if you do, you might want to cut out round crackers. Give it a try, though – PJH

35. Brenda Appleseed

I love you guys. KAF has made my kitchen locally famous. I expect these will put me over the top. Thanks!

WOW, we’re humbled, Brenda… Thanks so much for sharing your “fame”! PJH

36. Dorene

Hi I am Dorene and I am living in Singapore. I love baking and very impress with your recipe but the problem is in my country I can’t get King Arthur unblenched AP flour.
    Can you advise whether at my country where can I get the KAP flour?

Thanks and Regards
    Dorene

Dorene, our international sales come via this Web site. You can order our King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, and we’ll ship it to you in Singapore. Thanks for joining the fun! PJH

37. Becky in GSO

Sherri/PJH– Re: rolling dough on parchment paper:

I’ve had very good luck keeping flexible work surfaces in place with the rubber mesh drawer liner/shelf paper available in various places like the dollar store, fabric store, and kitchen/bathroom sections of department stores. No more chasing the dough!

38. Hal

What about rolling it out on the counter and transferring it to the parchment, and cutting it there. If they shrink anyway, will they separate enough? And cook right?

That’d save transferring each individual one. (Not that it’s a big deal, but just wondering.)
    That would be fine, you’d just have to be careful that you don’t cut through the parchment. Molly @ KAF

39. Kathy

Me again — I just had a revelation. I’ve also been following Smitten Kitchen for a bit now (www.smittenkitchen.com), doing an equal amount of baking lately from both KAF’s and Deb’s recipes. Well, she’s got this recipe (well, LOTS of people have this recipe, but some of us are just now hearing about it) where you boil butter & sugar, pour it over matzo, bake it briefly to set it, then spread chocolate over it (sea salt optional and awesome). Here’s her original post: http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/04/chocolate-caramel-crackers/

See where I’m going with this? Imagine this addictive treat made with one’s own handmade crackers. (One commenter mentioned making it with big Cheez-It-type crackers. I might just die thinking about it.)

I’m with you, Kathy – graham crackers and Saltines are DA BOMB with this, too. The salt… the sweet… the chocolate… :) PJH

40. Lish

I have been making my own crackers for a couple of years, since I saw a Good Eats with Alton Brown about making crackers. I especially love the whole grains recipes in the whole grain baking cookbook. I actually have everything for these and will be making them with a low fat cheese spread for Easter. My kids love to help roll out and top crackers. We have had good luck with graham crackers and I even have a special tool to cut a whole sheet of crackers at once, it looks like an accordion pizza roller, love it!

41. rcakewalk

I just finished making these with 1/2 c. white whole wheat (KAF) flour and 1 c. AP flour, and they turned out great! Just needed a bit of patience with the rolling out. I may splurge on some Italian flour on my next order, since it does seem like a good thing to do once in a while…

42. Katherine

These look great. Time to place another order.

My husband thought I was nuts when I started making crackers at home… Now he’s realized – if it keeps me happy and isn’t bankrupting us, he might as well just let me go on my merry way. :)

43. deeter

I just made a batch of these crackers and they’re nearly gone. My husband can’t get enough. In fact, I think I hear him in the kitchen again. :)

I didn’t have the gourmet salt, so I used some Frech grey sea salt and Italian seasoning. The dough was a pleasure to work with. I’m thinking lemon pepper and dill for the next batch!

Thanks for yet another recipe that makes me look like a baker-extraordinaire!

And they stay fresh for a lonnnnnng time, Deeter – that is, if “someone” doesn’t eat them all… :) PJH

44. Lisa!

I just made these, and boy rolling them out was quite a workout- even with the easy roll dough improver. I don’t know if I got them thin enough.

I used Penzey’s Mural of Flavor and Fox Point seasoning on them. I can’t wait for them to finish cooling so I can try them out…

45. venus39

I made these today. Light and crispy but they ALL puffed up even though I pricked them with a fork. I won’t suppose guests will mind because they taste fab.

I used KA bread flour not realizing Italian flour isn’t a bread flour. My dough wasn’t too hard to roll out, or like clay, but medium soft/dense.

Next time I will double the batch and use olive oil for the vegans. If I’m going to work this hard baking crackers I want to more to share even if it means letting the oven heat up and cool twice.

I think that bread flour’s gluten was so strong, those crackers just HAD to puff! Glad they were tasty, anyway… PJH

46. GSB

The Easy-Roll Dough Improver is listed as optional, so those of us avoiding soy could just leave it out. But it seems like it must affect (improve) the flavor, since it contains buttermilk and sour cream. And the old saltine crackers were sometimes called buttermilk soda crackers.

Can you suggest substitutions for this particular product in this recipe so as not to lose all of the flavor effect of the Easy Roll Dough Improver? I’m thinking maybe some fluid buttermilk in place of part of the water (adding it after the heating process) plus maybe a little diastatic malt powder. If this is on the right track, could you suggest quantities?

And please let me know if something else would work better than the substitution I thought of trying.

Again, this is primarily due to wanting to avoid soy as well as the perhaps infinitely small amount of aluminum–but perhaps KAF offers a soy free version of the Easy Roll Dough Improver?

Actually, you don’t use enough of this to really affect flavor; it’s almost strictly to mellow the dough, making it easier to roll. I’d substitute dry milk powder or dry buttermilk powder, in the same quantities called for; that would be your best bet. Good luck – PJH

47. Grandma Dottie

You forgot one of the important reasons for making your own crackers. Allergies. I will use flour without additives to make these so my daughter can enjoy the holidays.

48. adawnd69

Could you make these crackers with just kosher salt on top? My family isn’t one to go for “wild and crazy” flavors. (my son once said that about some herbed bread…my little comic!)

Oh yes, plain kosher salt will work fine!-Jon

49. nichael

Here’s a question about a problem I have with most cracker recipes:

That is, following the directions above, I find that –no matter how careful I am– when I try to transfer the crackers from the mat to the parchment-lined baking-sheet that I usually end up “mangling” quite a few crackers.

So what I’ve been doing is the following:
    – pre-cut my parchment to fit the baking sheet.
    – then, when I’m ready to do the final “rolling-out” of the dough, I place the dough on the parchment and roll it out there.
    – I then do the final cutting “in place”. I can then pick up the parchment+crackers and place them on the baking sheets.

Now, this takes a little planning. And it really only works for recipes like the one above (i.e. where the crackers shrink during baking) but the end results seem a lot neater. (Also, by cutting the crackers in place, I’m able to more “efficiently” fill the baking sheet.)

Does this make sense? Do you foresee any problems with doing things this way?

You should have the option of both ounce and gram measurements on the recipe page. Jon@KAF