Three pizzas: Hawaiian, high-fiber, and WOW THAT’S HOT.

Me: “Sue, what are you doing?”

Sue: “I’m making a Hawaiian pizza.”

Me: “Oooh, oooh, wait a sec. Stop. I need to blog this.”

Sue, whose hands have graced many a catalogue photo in her many years here at King Arthur, obediently stops spreading tomato sauce on a pizza crust, mid-stroke. I grab my camera, snap the picture, and she continues topping the pizza.

“Wait, wait – is that sautéed pineapple? And ham?”

Sue sees where I’m going. “Want me to dump ’em back in the frying pan so you can take their picture?”

Sheepishly, I nod. Together, we photograph Hawaiian pizza backwards – to the crust. At that point, there’s no undoing a risen bowl of dough.

So Sue hands me the recipe and I start again, making pizza dough from scratch.

img_6941.JPG

It’s a recipe I haven’t tried before, using an ingredient I love, but seldom remember to use: Hi-maize fiber.

Are you lukewarm about whole wheat, but would still love to add fiber to your diet? Hi-maize is your dream ingredient. Best of all, it’s completely “invisible.” Use Hi-maize in this crust, and no one will know they’re eating a high-fiber pizza, I guarantee it.

img_2884.JPG

For an ultra-chewy crust, try our highest gluten flour: Sir Lancelot.

img_6536.JPG

Put the following in a bowl:

3 cups Sir Lancelot High-Gluten Flour*
3/4 cup Hi-maize Fiber*
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Pizza Dough Flavor, optional but tasty
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, enough to make a soft, smooth dough

img_6537.JPG

Mix till cohesive…

img_6538.JPG

…then knead to make a soft, smooth dough.

img_6539.JPG

Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl or large measuring cup; an 8-cup measure allows you to track just how much the dough has risen.

img_6540.JPG

Let it rise for an hour; it’ll expand quite a bit, though it won’t double in size.

You can use the dough immediately, if you like. But I prefer to let it chill and develop its flavor. Refrigerate overnight, tightly covered, or for up to 24 hours.

img_6544.JPG

The dough will continue to rise as it chills. (No kidding – look at it!)

And, as I mentioned, it’ll develop wonderful flavor, thanks to the organic acids released by the growing yeast.

When you’re ready to make pizza, remove the dough from the refrigerator, and divide it in half.

Lightly grease two 12” or 14” round pizza pans; or a couple of baking sheets; or a couple of pieces of parchment (if you’re going to bake on a pizza stone).

If you’re using pans, drizzle olive oil into the bottom; this will make the bottom of the crust crunchy and super-tasty.

img_6549.JPG

Shape each piece of dough into a 10″ to 14″ disk (thick crust vs. thin crust), and place in the prepared pans.

I’m doing an experiment here: 14” pan on the left, 12” pan on the right. How thick will each crust wind up being?

You won’t be able to press the dough all the way to the edge of the pan at once. It’ll keep wanting to shrink back to its original size; that’s the gluten at work. Simply walk away for 15 minutes, come back…

img_6551.JPG

…and press some more. Wait 15 minutes…

img_6556.JPG

…and press some more.

Trust me, this takes longer, but it’s MUCH easier than trying to beat your stubborn, rubber-band crust into submission!

img_6575.JPG

Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let the crusts rise for 1 to 2 hours, till they’re as puffy as you like.

While the crusts are rising, prepare your fillings.

img_6407.JPG

We’ll start with the Hawaiian filling. Lightly grease a frying pan or skillet, and sauté pineapple till lightly browned. How much? One fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks; or two 20-ounce cans of pineapple chunks, well drained. Either way, you need 4 to 5 cups of pineapple chunks.

While sautéeing isn’t strictly necessary, it intensifies the flavors, and helps keep the pizza from getting soggy from pineapple juice.

img_6408.JPG

Remove the pineapple, and sauté 1 pound of thick-sliced ham, cut into squares.

img_6410.JPG

Spread each crust with as much pizza sauce as you like; Sue uses about 1 cup for a 14” pizza.

img_6412.JPG

Top with the ham…

img_6413.JPG

…distributing it evenly.

img_6416.JPG

Press the pineapple chunks on top.

img_6418.JPG

Sprinkle each pizza with 1 to 2 cups (4 to 8 ounces) shredded cheese; mozzarella, or your favorite combination.

img_6419.JPG

At last! Ready to hit the oven.

img_6420.JPG

Bake for about 25 minutes, until the crusts are brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.

img_6424.JPG

Lovely! Do you feel a luau coming on?

img_6564.JPG

Slice and serve, to a suitably appreciative audience.

I prefer to bake my crusts before topping. I think they have better texture, and the toppings have less tendency to get hard or burned, too.

So let’s hark back to our risen-and-ready crusts.

img_6577.JPG

Bake the untopped crusts in a preheated 425°F oven for 12 minutes.

img_6582.JPG

Take the hot crusts out of the oven. Top one with pineapple and ham; pizza sauce is optional.

img_6579.JPG

Top the other with garlic and onions.

Here I’ve taken half a head of peeled garlic cloves, and whirled them in the food processor with 2 teaspoons of Pizza Seasoning and 1/4 cup olive oil.

img_6580.JPG

This is one very large sweet onion. I cut it in chunks, and sautéed the chunks slowly, in olive oil, till softened and browned.

I brush the baked crust with the garlic/olive oil, then layer the onions on top.

img_6612.JPG

Next up: cheese.

I open the fridge. Bars of Cabot cheese fill the vegetable bin. Ah, reduced fat cheddar… nah, not today.

I choose Habanero for the garlic/onion pizza, Pepper Jack for the Hawaiian.

img_6567.JPG

“Hot Habanero,” the label says. Habanero, Jalapeño, Pepper Jack… whatever, I think. A bit of heat goes well with any pizza topping.

I’ve tried many Cabot cheeses, but not Hot Habanero.

I pop a chunk in my mouth.

Now, one would think the modifier “hot” would have clued me in to the fact that this cheese is more than simply spicy.

It’s HOT.

dscn0009.jpg

WOW.

Susan happened to be holding her camera, and snapped a picture of my Scoville Scale blush. I’d just managed to smile (barely), after about 30 seconds of watering eyes, burning mouth, and speechless hand-flapping.

ZOWIE. Hot Habanero is right.

img_6583.JPG

Anyway, back to the Hawaiian Pizza.

img_6584.JPG

And the Not-Hawaiian (Onion-Garlic-Habanero) Pizza.

img_6586.JPG

Into the 425°F oven they go, for 12 minutes or so, till the cheese is melted, but not rubbery or hard.

img_6588.JPG

On the left, Pepper Jack Hawaiian. On the right, the Deadly Habanero Onion-Garlic.

GREATLY enjoyed, later that evening, by my asbestos-tongue, iron-stomach husband.

img_6603.JPG

Back to that crust experiment. What’s the difference between a 14” thinner crust pizza, and 12” thicker-crust? About 1/2” in height.

img_6592.JPG

Dig in!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Hawaiian Pizza.

comments

1. RobynB

Those toppings look wonderful! I’m frustrated about pizza crust, though. I have tried many recipes, including several KA ones, and still haven’t found what I want: a THIN, NY style crust that bubbles and gets blistered and blackened in touches without turning to rock-hard cardboard. Not a bread-y crust, but not a cracker crust. I can’t explain it, and I can’t find it. Any suggestions? I have a pizza stone, I’ve got sourdough starter that I’ve tried, I’ve tried cold-ferment rises, I’ve tried semolina and high-gluten flours, and still no luck.

But thanks for the topping suggestions! My favorite pizza is pineapple and red onion with cheese, but I never thought to saute the pineapple first! Yum.
    Hi Robyn,
    The NY crust is a bit tricky to get, especially if you don’t have a 800°F oven. I like to use high gluten flour and high hydration for a fairly slack dough. There are some great NY style clone recipes out there, find them with a web search. I’ve seen many copies of “Ray’s” in the past. Have fun trying new recipes! ~ MaryJane

2. nika

can I have your job? Please? Ok, not YOUR job but one just like it? In THAT kitchen and THOSE ingredients?

:-)

I have been on a pizza kick lately – KAF Whole Wheat dough and rolling REALLLLY thin and pitching right onto the rack in a 525 F convection roast oven. Comes out quite nicely.

I also made some non-kosher matzohs (see this link http://nikas-culinaria.com/2010/03/20/matzoh/ )

NICE! Love the pictures, Nika – that matzoh looks like Carta di Musica, if you’ve ever seen that- PJH

3. Amanda

Mmmmm… King Arthur Flour and Cabot Cheeses are 2 of my very favorite things! I must try the super hot Habanero cheese pizza!

4. Beth

Now I really want to turn that leftover Easter ham into pizza!
    That’s one of my favorite plans for leftover Easter ham. That, and lots of ham salad with pickles! ~ MaryJane

5. Elisabeth

Ooooh that pizza looks so good. I love your website – thanks for all the great recipes! Last weekend I tried the Banana Bread (the one with the apricot jam) and it was a crowd pleaser at my in-laws (though crowd)!! Thanks

Hey, glad that banana bread worked out well for you, Elisabeth – I like that one in particular, too. Thanks for connecting here – PJH

6. Lish

Hawaiian is my husband’s favorite, and I absolutely hate it! Unless I drown it in creamy Italian dressing. Gross I know. My personal favorite homemade pizza is BBQ sauce, grilled chicken and the Cabot chipotle, which I can’t find around here anymore. Also good with caramelized onions. I love pizza, as do all my family. I just do not like the pineapple on it. I think I will do a half and half with it, or make individual pizzas or calzones so hubby and the kiddos can have with pineapple, and me without. Would this dough fit well in the 4 individual deep crust pans you sold?
    Hey Lish,
    I’ll ask PJ to give her feedback on the deep dish pans, I’m sure she pop up a comment soon. ~ MaryJane

Can’t remember the size of the individual pans we sold, Lish – but high school math will let you figure it out. Pi-radius-squared tells me that this amount of crust will cover at least 226 square inches. If the pizza pans are 4″ dia. (?), with 1″ deep sides (?), that would give them a working diameter of 6″. So Pi-radius-squared would be 28 square inches – which means with the amount of dough in the recipe, you could fill 8 pans. And you thought you’d never use geometry again! :) PJH

7. Steph

Your posts always make me so hungry! I LOVE them!

Do you put the olive oil on the pan *under* the dough before spreading it? I’ve noticed a nice flavor from spreading olive oil on top of the spread-out dough, but would like my crust crunchier so maybe I should put it underneath (too). I’ve never considered myself a fan of hawaiian pizza but just realized it’s like what we eat at Christmas. I definitely feel a luau coming on!

Steph, put some non-stick pan spray in the pan, THEN the olive oil. The oil underneath will give you that crunchy, “Pizza Hut” fried-type bottom crust. YUM. :) PJH

8. Natalia Rivera

That dairy drawer is a thing of beauty! I appreciate the comparison between thick and thin crusts too.

9. Marianna

ZOWIE is right PJ! Just typing the word Habaneros makes my eyes water! LOL You know someone is a good friend when your eyes are melting and your tongue is on fire and they grab a camera! hahaha I commend you for putting a smile on your face! I have always wanted to try a Hawaiian pizza but haven’t done so yet. This looks delicious and easy enough to try at home EXCEPT I think I will use the Pepper Jack instead. I love Cabot’s Pepper Jack and I think that has enough of a kick for me. ;)
    I’m with you Marianna, I love the Pepper Jack. It’s awesome on nachos, and just in slices with a good cold beer.
    ~ MaryJane

10. Nicole

i so want to try make my own pizza, with this detailed instruction, i would probably be able to do so now.
    You bet you can! We’ll be here if you have questions. ~ MaryJane

11. Shirley

For some reason I haven’t been letting my crust rise before baking. Your crust is so much higher than mine has been and I’ll try it for sure. Loved the looks and can taste the onion one. Be good with potatoes too for me.

Yes, Shirley, definitely let that crust rise before baking – much lighter that way. Enjoy – PJH

12. SMJ

Looks great! Question: If I prebake the crust, can it be refrigerated/ frozen for conveinience? I am thinking that I can make quick meals by taking the stored baked crust, adding toppings and popping in the oven.

Absolutely – bake till set but not brown (like a supermarket Boboli crust); cool; and store at room temp. for a couple of days, or freeze. When you’re ready, just top and bake till toppings are done. PJH

13. Deb in SC

OMgosh! I LOVE it when I sign onto the website and there’s a new post. and I have lots of leftover ham…and totally didn’t think about a ham/pineapple pizza. Now I know what we’re having for dinner tomorrow night; I already have the hi-maize flour, but no Sir Lancelot….could I use KA bread flour instead?
    Hi Deb,
    Bread flour will give you a very nice crust, not quite as crispy and thin, but still delish! ~ MaryJane

14. Joanne

Very interesting–I really like experimenting with your recipes–you are a great motivator!
    Question–has anyone heard of putting about 1/2 of the cheese on the bare crust, then adding the sauce, toppings and then the remaining cheese? I read this years ago in a cookbook and have been doing it that way ever since–folks think I am nuts, but it stops “pizza slide” (when you take a bite and all the cheese and toppings come sliding off the crust.) Has anyone else heard of this technique? The author said it was taught to her by a NYC pizza maker.
    Hi Joanne,
    While I’ve never seen this in a pizza place, Tony Gemignani (World Pizza Champ!) does use this technique on some of his pizzas. Par-bake the crust with 2 ounces of cheese, then chill the dough and add sweet toppings like sweetened mascarpone and strawberries. YUM! ~ MaryJane

15. Cheri

These look so nummy! I, too, love a thin and crispy crust like Robyn (and am biding my time til I can build my outdoor pizza oven). I have actually had pretty good luck with a KAF recipe, I think it was the KAF Guaranteed one. What I did was section the dough into small balls big enough for small to medium thin pizzas, maybe softball size and freeze them. I then pull two balls out in the morning before going to work and let them thaw/rise/explode on a flour dusted cookie sheet on the counter. Make my pizzas (Caprese w/ basil pesto, chicken and mushrooms for me, BBQ chicken w/ red onions and extra sharp cheddar for him) and cook on a pizza stone. I don’t know if I am doing it right, but it turns out thin and crispy like we like it.
    Thanks so much for sharing. Love the “explode” for your dough! ~ MaryJane

16. Alison T

Looks good. If I have AP flour and gluten, how much gluten do I add to equal Hi Gluten Flour? I do have the Hi Maize, fortunately.

Suggestion: I like to go to the recipe first when I get the email links. That way I can read the recipe, determine if I want to make it, then read the blog. However, while there is a link to the straight recipe in the blog, there is NO link to the blog on the recipe! I would LOVE to be able to hit a “see the blog” link on recipes for which blogs have been written!!! This is especially helpful once a blog has “aged” since it’s no longer first on the list if you hit the regular “blog” link. Another benefit is that people leave comments both on the blog and on the recipe, and the comments are extremely helpful, so being able to toggle back and forth helps me to find the comment that I need. Just a thought.

Thanks again for a WONDERFUL feature of your site!
    Thanks Alison,
    First for the links. We just updated our recipe module, and it will have a place to link to the blog in the recipe. Yea!!

For the gluten content, we can’t share the exact amount for making Sir Lancelot, it’s a proprietary thing, but try adding 1-2 teaspoons of vital wheat gluten per cup of flour to increase the gluten content until you reach a level that you are happy baking with.
    ~ MaryJane

Alison, the new blog link is right directly under the recipe photo; it says “see step photos on our blog.” I load it as soon as I post the blog. For older recipes/blogs, as MJ said, we’re gradually going back and making the links. I’ve gotten through November 2009, working backwards, so I still have a ways to go! But do look for that blog link right under the recipe’s main image. PJH

17. Erin R.

I LOVE homemade pizza! My husb and I bang one out every couple of weeks or so, and I rotate back and forth between a whole wheat crust recipe and sourdough. We roll ours out very thin and parbake on a pizza stone to get it nice and crispy. I do have leftover ham in the fridge and was planning to use it on a pizza with some sauerkraut and Jarlsberg, but I never thought of sauteing beforehand. Genius! Thanks for the idea.

18. Andie

This is my favorite pizza! Question: I have a slew of KA flours but no Sir Lancelot. I do have Hi-maize Natural Fiber and vital wheat gluten. I also have KA Potato Flour, AP Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, White Whole Wheat Flour, and Pizza Dough Flavor. Will any combination of the above produce the same result? I, too, am still searching for the perfect pizza crust! Thank you!

~ MaryJane

19. FRAN S

I had to laugh at your scoville blush. I too can’t handle hot stuff. I get all flushed in the face too. Beer does it to me too. I can’t handle Cabot’s pepper jack but the hubbie and kids love it. I on the other hand can’t get enough of anything wasabi, even if that makes me blush too. I guess I’ll have to go have some pizza for lunch now. We recently tried taco piza at home, dough, taco seasoned ground beef, mozarella cheese and a dash of cholula hot sauce. Yum!
    Love the Cholula hot sauce! There used to be a small Mexican restaurant in Hanover that had a rack of different hot sauces on the wall behind your table, that’s where we discovered the little wooden topped bottle, and it’s been in our fridge ever since. ~ MaryJane

20. Sherri

Mm, another good looking pizza! Our family loves Hawaiian pizza, but we haven’t had good success with making pizzas from scratch so far. The kids like their crusts soft and chewy, rather than crisp/crunchy; if it’s thin crust or hard at all, they’ll balk and won’t eat it. :( A few of ours have come out more like crackers than pizza!

Any advice for a good pizza crust recipe that’ll make more of a chewy (rather than crisp and thin) crust? Will this one work if we use different equipment (pan instead of stone, or some other method)? Calling all pizza mavens! :) Thanks!
    Hi Sherri,
    I would highly recommend using our Italian Style flour and the focaccia recipe on the back of the bag for the pizza crust. This is my go-to recipe for thick, fluffy, chewy pizza crust with just a hint of crisp on the bottom. I do use a pizza stone, so you could bake on a sheet pan to avoid the crisp bottom. Really, it’s just terrific! ~ MaryJane

21. Jill

What kind of pizza sauce do you use? Is it a recipe you’ve written or is it a commercial brand?
    We use jarred sauce in the test kitchen, pretty much whatever is on sale. We try to be smart shoppers! ~ MaryJane

22. Jackie B

Lish–if I don’t want a sweet pizza with my ham, I’ll have mushrooms instead. I’ve also had ham/mushrooms and Canadian bacon. I too was wondering what to do with my leftover Easter ham. My problem is that I don’t have the Hi-maize fiber. I can alter the flour as you’ve noted, but what can substitute for the natural fiber?
    You can use additional flour instead of the Hi-Maize, just be cautious not to add too much and dry out the dough.
    ~ MaryJane

23. Sue E. Conrad

I’m a member of the “can’t-handle-the-really-hot-stuff” crowd; growing up all those years in New England made for tame taste buds…..but I have since learned to appreciate a little more heat in foods, just not the stuff that makes you feel like you swallowed a blowtorch!!!! And as for pineapple on pizza……….NAH!!! And for pizza crust, I like thin crust; the thick crust to me is like eating a loaf of bread……….I know, picky, picky, picky!!!

See you KA folks in July when we make our annual pilgrimage!!!
    Thanks for chiming in Sue. Can you believe summer is just around the corner? Bring on the sunshine! ~ MaryJane

24. KimberlyD

Oh put bacon with the Hawaiian pizza, it adds a great taste to it. I was always I can eat it or leave it till I added bacon to it. I will have to try sauteing the pineapple and ham. Hmmm maybe in some bacon greese, oh I don’t use much of the bacon greese, maybe a teaspoon.
    Oh, be still my heart! Yum! ~ MaryJane

25. Cheri

Just had to add this tidbit when i saw the question regarding pizza sauce. I cheat, sorta. What I have found that I LOVE is: one small (I believe 8 oz) can of tomato sauce and one package Zesty Italian Salad Dressing Mix combined. It has to be the Zesty, plain Italian mix just isn’t the same.
    We don’t call that cheating, we call that innovative! ~ MaryJane

26. Lindy

I’m curious about the color of the bag of Sir Lance. It used to be blue, I believe. Now it’s maroon. Different mill run? I use it for bagels and noticed with the change in the bag color, there was a very subtle change in the taste.

Those pizzas look so good, I might have to slice a bagel into four thin slices and create mini pizzas!
    It’s still the same delicious flour as ever but we do like to change the labels occasionally. Molly @ KAF

27. Janet

My answer to that NY style bubbly, crispy, slightly charred in spots crust…..is to use the gas grill. It certainly gets over 500 degrees with the lid closed. I heat mine up on high and after 10 minutes or so, I place my dough directly onto the grates…turn with a pair of tongs when the top is full of large bubbles and the bottom is done with some charring. Turn over and cook for a short period. I then bring the crust inside and top with toppings and cheeses and finish in my oven. Topping must be cooked though as it doesn’t take long in the oven.

28. Carolyn

I am a big fan of thin, thiiiiinnnnn pizza crust. Found a recipe in Cooks Illustrated that I make occasionally. Rolling out the dough takes a while and you have to stop and let the dough relax a couple of times. The dough is so thin that it won’t support a lot of toppings but it is wonderfully crisp. It’s rolled on a piece of parchment (make a sandwich of parchment, dough and plastic wrap). The parchment/dough/toppings can then be slid right onto a hot baking stone. I’m getting hungry. Too bad, the batch of dough needs to rise overnight in the fridge. Maybe for tomorrow though…..

29. Carol

This sounds wonderful….try BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce….it’s awesome!! I also add some chopped red onion for more flavor. I’m going to have to try this dough.