Simply sinful: Triple Cinnamon Scones

img_7981

Go here…

img_8067.JPG

…or here…

img_8073.JPG

…or here.

All with one ridiculously tasty, cinnamon-stuffed (in more ways than one), iced or glazed (or not) tender-and-oh-so-tasty scone recipe.

There are people in the world who don’t like cinnamon. I’m not one of them. Cinnamon has perfumed my life since the days when Mom used to pop open (literally) a can of Pillsbury cinnamon buns on Sunday morning, and lay them on a cookie sheet ready to go into the oven when we came home from church.

I’d hang around the kitchen so I could nab the icing can once Mom was done frosting the hot buns. Ah, pure sugar – a 9-year-old’s nirvana.

Later, Pepperidge Farm cinnamon-swirl bread captured my heart. (Did it have a streusel topping back in the day, or am I dreaming?) Toasted and spread with peanut butter, it was the perfect addition to my morning bowl of – you guessed it – apple-cinnamon instant oatmeal.

Snickerdoodles. Pie crust dough dusted with cinnamon-sugar and baked. Cinnamon toast. Cinnamon doughnuts. Apple-cinnamon anything.

In fact, cinnamon anything.

Are you still with me? If so, then you’re a fellow cinnamon-lover. And speaking of lovers – did you know cinnamon is an aphrodisiac? Supposedly, scientific studies show that American men find the scent of cinnamon in baked goods quite definitely… uh, “alluring.”

My Cin?

And on THAT note – let’s bake!

img_8610.JPG

If you love cinnamon like I love cinnamon, this array of ingredients will resonate with you. Let’s go clockwise, from upper left:

Vietnamese cinnamon. Because of its higher oil content, Vietnamese cinnamon disperses more fully throughout your baked treats, giving them cinnamon-through-and-through flavor. The flavor of this cassia cinnamon just pops, too – it’s considered by chefs in the know to be the world’s finest cinnamon.

Cinnamon-Sugar Plus. Our blend of superfine sugar and Vietnamese cinnamon. Intensely flavorful, and absolutely non-gritty, due to the fine grind of the sugar. Make your morning cinnamon toast with this sometime; you’ll never go back.

Baker’s Cinnamon Filling. Here’s what ”Joni from St. Louis” says in our product reviews:

“Wow – did cinnamon schmear scones last night and then used the glaze from the mini-chocolate chip scone recipe… My, oh my, the cinnamon filling is absolutely the best WHENEVER you want that ‘can’t beat it’ cinnamon taste! Yummy, yummy, YUMMY!!! Like others mentioned, I wouldn’t be without this stuff in my cupboard!”

It’s a dry powder; to make the best cinnamon filling ever, just add water.

Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites. I know, odd name, and they look like cat food. But for strong, true cinnamon flavor in chip form, these are the BEST. Warning: unless they’ll be used in a wet batter (e.g., cake or muffin), you really should soak them in milk or water before using. But the flavor is lovely, and quite intense.

And now, without further ado – Triple Cinnamon Scones.

img_7918.JPG

Combine 1 cup cinnamon Flav-R-Bites with 3/4 cup half & half or evaporated milk in a small bowl. Let the mixture rest for about 20 minutes; it softens the cinnamon Bites nicely.

Can you substitute cinnamon chips for cinnamon Flav-R-Bites? Sure; the chips won’t be as cinnamon-y. They also won’t need to be pre-soaked as we’re doing here with the Bites.

img_7919.JPG

While the milk mixture is resting, get started putting together the rest of the ingredients.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the following:

2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

img_8026.JPG

Add 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pats.

img_7928.JPG

Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it’s OK for some larger chunks to remain unincorporated.

img_8027.JPG

Add 2 large eggs, lightly beaten, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to the cinnamon-milk mixture.

img_7934.JPG

Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients.

img_8031.JPG

Stir until all is moistened and holds together. See the flour? This hasn’t been stirred enough.

img_8032.JPG

Grab your bowl scraper and work the dough to incorporate all the flour.

img_7938.JPG

Scrape the dough onto a well-floured work surface. Our silicone rolling mat works well here.

img_7939.JPG

Pat/roll it into a rough 9” square, a scant 3/4” thick.

Make sure the surface underneath the dough is very well floured. If necessary, use a giant spatula (or the biggest spatula you have) to lift the square, and sprinkle more flour underneath.

img_7998.JPG

Next, make cinnamon filling. We’ll be marbling and swirling this filling within the scones.

Mix 3/4 cup Baker’s Cinnamon Filling with 3 tablespoons water.

img_7999.JPG

Stir till smooth.

img_8006.JPG

Spread evenly atop the scone dough.

img_8007.JPG

Go most of the way to the edges.

Don’t have Baker’s Cinnamon Filling, you say? More’s the pity – the stuff is AWESOME.

You won’t get the same thick, rich, gooey result, but sprinkle liberally with cinnamon-sugar if you don’t have the filling.

img_8008.JPG

Fold one edge into the center and over the filling, as though you were folding a letter.

img_7942.JPG

Fold the remaining edge over the center to complete the three-fold. You’ll now have a rectangle that’s stretched to about 4” x 12”.

img_7943.JPG

Gently pat/roll it to lengthen it into a 3” x 18” rectangle.

img_8034.JPG

It’ll be between 3/4” and 1” thick.

img_8035.JPG

Cut the rectangle into six 3″ squares. For most accurate cutting, measure the dough and score it first.

img_8036.JPG

Transfer the squares to a lightly greased (or parchment-lined) baking sheet.

img_8038.JPG

Now you have a choice. You can make scone strips, or tiny squares. Cut each 3” square into three 1” x 3” rectangles, for a total of 18 scone strips. Gently separate the strips, leaving about 1/2” between them. Or cut each 3” square into nine 1” squares, to make 54 bite-sized mini scones.

img_8037.JPG

Here’s a cut strip, showing its center. MMMMMM…. look at that cinnamon filling!

img_8039.JPG

For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered.

While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F.

img_8040.JPG

Put the chilled scones in the oven, and bake them for 16 to 20 minutes, till they’re puffed and golden brown.

img_8041.JPG

Nice oven spring, eh?

img_8047.JPG

Remove them from the oven…

img_8048.JPG

…and gently separate.

Baking the scones this way, rather than individually, keeps them nice and moist.

img_8049.JPG

OK, now what?

img_8055.JPG

More cinnamon!

Stir together the following glaze ingredients. If the sugar seems particularly lumpy, sift it first, for an extra-smooth glaze.

3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
7 tablespoons water

You’ll have a very thin glaze, not an icing.

img_8060.JPG

Now you’re going to coat each scone with glaze. You can dip each one individually, which is quite time-consuming. Or line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment, and pour about half the glaze atop the parchment. Set the scones atop the glaze, swirling them around a bit to coat their bottoms.

img_8061.JPG

Then drizzle the remaining glaze over the top.

img_8062.JPG

Use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over each scone, to coat it entirely.

img_8063.JPG

The glaze is very thin, so this is easily done.

img_8066.JPG

Transfer the scones to a rack set over parchment, to catch any drips. As you pick each scone up, run its sides over the glaze in the bottom of the pan, both to use up some of the extra glaze, and to make sure all sides are coated. Allow the glaze to set before serving the scones.

img_8069.JPG

You can also choose to make a thick cinnamon icing. Mix together 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 3 to 4 tablespoons milk.

img_8072.JPG

Spread/drizzle over the scones.

img_8074.JPG

Why do these put me in mind of some kind of Hostess snack cake?

Must be the shape of the cake, or the “drape” of the icing.

img_7944.JPG

OK, all you purists out there. “Never mind all the fancy schmancy stuff, just show me how to make my normal triangular scones.”

Fine. Be like that.

Go back – WAY back – to that 18” x 3” rectangle you made from the dough. Score the dough into six 3” squares, but don’t cut it yet.

Spray with water…

img_7945.JPG

…and sprinkle heavily with cinnamon-sugar.

img_7948.JPG

For large scones, cut each square in half diagonally to make a triangle; you’ll have 12 scones.

img_7951.JPG

Place them on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Gently separate the scones (if you like scones with crunchy edges), leaving about 1” between them.

img_7957.JPG

Chill and bake as directed for the smaller scones, increasing the baking time to about 20 minutes – or till the scones are golden brown.

img_8011.JPG

For medium scones, cut each square in half diagonally again, making four triangular scones from each square. For soft scones, separate the scones just enough to break contact between them.

img_8013.JPG

Chill and bake as directed.

img_8014.JPG

While still warm…

img_8015.JPG

…pull apart to create four perfect, moist scones.

img_7982.JPG

Love that filling!

img_8075.JPG

Scones on parade! This recipe is nothing if not versatile. You can make 12, 18, 24, or 54 scones, depending on the occasion and the crowd. And you can  ice’ em, glaze ’em, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, or just leave ’em plain on top – ALL good.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Triple Cinnamon Scones.

comments

1. Erin in PA

PJ – You had me at the word cinnamon (isn’t that the line from Jerry Maguire?!?), but TRIPLE cinnamon!!! I have all the ingredients and this will be a delightful treat for my co-workers tomorrow morning! Do you think these could be frozen and baked off just a few at a time like other scones? I am wondering because of the filling – I haven’t yet used the Baker’s Cinnamon I bought with my last order! we haven’t tried it, but I think this recipe would freeze very well, to be baked as needed. Mary@ KAF

Yes, Erin, the cinnamon filling would freeze just fine. Go for it! As for Jerry Maguire… only saw it once and that was long ago, I’ll take your word for it. PJH

2. Beth @ 990 Square

I’m a BIG cinnamon lover (and I also always hung around to get the empty can of pillsbury icing–I’ve licked so many of those!) These look amazing! I have some flavor-bites that I ordered last year and never got around to using. This looks like just the thing!

3. Mike T.

I love scones and especially cinnamon chip scones! But I’ll take cin-filled ones as well! :-)

Question, have you tried the chocolate schmear in them??? I have a can of that in my cupboard right now… :-)

Go for it. Sounds good to me.Mary@ KAF

Sure it would work just fine, Mike – the schmear is totally good for baking. YUM – PJH

4. pamela

Wow! I’m fairly new to LOVING cinnamon, I used to just think it was okay. But now, I really, really love it. These scones look amazing, and I think I absolutely NEED some of that cinnamon filling. :)

5. steve

I miss the price comparison homemade vs. store bought. These scones are great though.

Sorry, Steve, it was taking way too much time to figure out and find comparisons – I need another 6 or so hours in the day, but I don’t think I’m going to get it! :) PJH

6. Marcia

I am tempted to eat a spoon of that cinnamon baking filling. I am close to the kitchen, so it would be easy to do,.

I wish the recipe made about 1/4 the amount. Hard for one person to eat that many-well tempted to eat more than needed. Freezer already full.

I am a deep lover of cinnamon.

Marcia, you could easily cut the recipe in half, at least. Cut and place on baking sheets, and freeze. When frozen, wrap tightly. Bake only as many as you want to make; it’s simple to whip together tiny bits of icing when you need it. And oh, BTW – take a gander at our FREEZE blog. Lots of good info. there – PJH

7. tofugirl

Drat, I have to stop reading this blog at night because I get so hungry looking at your photos and reading these recipes! And it’s too late (midnight here) to bake scones…sigh. Guess I’ll have to wake up early!

8. Amy

I have to say that KAF does cinnamon right. I got the Cinnamon Filled Creme Scone mix once and when I mixed the cinnamon filling, I thought, “Holy jeeze, that’s a lot of cinnamon.” But it was sooooooooo good. Even if you’re like, “I like cinnamon but that looks like a lot of cinnamon.” Don’t be scared! Try it- it’s awesome :)

9. Joni M

Whoa, anything with cinnamon in the name would have caught my eye–but TRIPLE cinnamon– I hadn’t even read the blog yet and I knew I was drawn in hook, line and sinker and going to be making these! And then I saw you added my comment about the filling and I had to laugh because ummm, maybe I was an inspiration for this new recipe in my description of what I had previous described?? How fun! Anyway, I’ll be making these asap as I loved the outcome of what I’d done before and this one doesn’t look nearly as messy as my first attempt! I wish I was home in the kitchen instead of behind my desk today as I think I can smell these even though I’m miles away from my oven!!! Oh boy, for a cinnamon lover–this just may become my new favorite of all! Thank you thank you, hugs to you all!

10. Deb

Are you guys mind readers? I was DYING for something cinnamon-y, and guess what I find in my mailbox? A great recipe and I’ve got all the ingredients. I know what I’m doing this afternoon! Yum-yum-yum!

11. Betty

I am a cinnamon lover now and have always been. I can’t wait to try this recipe and all the alternate versions. I have cinnamon chips from KAF, but I am definately placing an order for more cinnamon stuff!

12. Joyce

Hi PJ,
    I love cinnamon too and I happen to have the Cinnamon Filling which I have used many times and love. I make scones often and I used the basic recipe that came with the pan and made cinnamon scones putting half the dough in the pan, then the filling and topping with the rest of the dough. They were delicious. My question is after I put them in the pan should I freeze for 30 minutes before baking like you suggest in the recipe on this site? I never knew about doing that.

Joyce

Wouldn’t hurt, Joyce – it should make them rise a bit higher. Give it a try – bet you’ll like what happens! PJH

13. FRAN S

PJ,
    You’ve done it again! You’ve read my mind. As I was reading your list of cinnamon favorites all of my favorites came to mind just before I read them there on your list. I have been known to put cinnamon in pulled pork and chile. I will definately give these a go, but I don’t have the cinnamon filling on hand. What can I use for a substitute? Did you at one time sell cinnamon schmear? Thanks for another great no-fail recipe from KAF!!

Substitute for Baker’s Cinnamon Filling = 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon. We offer almond and chocolate schmear. Try the Love n’ Bake website for Cinnamon Schmear. Irene @ KAF

14. Sue E. Conrad

YA-A-A-AY FOR CINNAMON!!!! Used to have a supply of cinnamon chips on hand (must admit, though, that they were Hershey’s) but just like the raspberry chips, they’re no longer available in grocery stores, even during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season!! But good ole KAF has come through, and I’ll be adding cinnamon chips to my list of supplies to be acquired during our annual summer pilgrimage to The Baking Store. My favorite recipes utilizing cinnamon chips?? Easy Cinnamon Bread and Cinnamon-Eggnog Scones……………

We love it when our customer/bakers share their favorites….it helps the rest of us to sort through all the options knowing others have had success (think of it as another test kitchen?). Irene @ KAF

15. Peachess

PJ,

You are killing me…I drool every time I get a King Arthur email…and as I read all these oh so yummy recipes…I know I’m gaining 5 lbs for each one…LOL But, keep’em coming though…what a delicious way to go :-)

16. Joyce

Thanks PJ,
    I will give it a try tonight. I’ll let you know what happens.

Happy (evening) Baking, Joyce! Irene @ KAF

17. KimberlyD

When my dad sold Watkins products I found out the difference between store cinnamon and very good cinnamon. And I love cinnamon like everyone else that has posted here. Will try these soon! Cinnamon Sugar on toast was one of my childhood favorites that my mother would let me have.

18. Bridgid

I have to say that the Vietnamese Cinnamon you sell is AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING (can you tell I love it?) I use it specifically in my cinnamon buns (which I am known for) and now in my carrot cake (your whole grain recipe – I added more spices to it – it is what started my baking business again) and now my hermit cookies and well, I could go on and on… So yes, these will be on the list to make very very soon (Saturday?) I don’t have the flav-r bits but I’ll figure out something. It is much better than “store bought cinnamon” – just as the cataloge describes! Also love your cinnamon filling. Thanks so much for your great stuff and your great blog!

19. Joyce

Tried the scones last night baking them in my scone pan. I did freeze them for 30 minutes as suggested. Wow. These scones came out taller than any I have ever made. I guess there is something to be said for freezing. Thanks for the great tips and the great products.

Joyce

20. Margy

I LOVE cinnamon! I actually have 4 different varieties in my spice shelf right now–China, Korintje, Ceylon and Vietnamese. They all have differences in nuance and flavor. BTY, there is research to suggest that cinnamon has a positive effect on the regulation of blood sugar. Hmmm, tasty AND good for me? I feel a batch of cinnamon buns coming on this weekend.

21. D.

A couple of months ago, I made the mistake of purchasing several bags of Cinnamon Flavr-bites instead of Cinnamon chips. I tried a couple of recipes but was never able to make anything with them. I was beginning to worry I would have to toss the bags out. This recipe is perfect! The chips became crunchy and added tons of flavor. My husband who’s never is impressed by much was crazy for these scones.

Thanks for the recipe!

22. Kelly S

I’m making the scones now and am using the chips because I failed to buy the flav-r-bites. Anyway, the tip says “Want to substitue cinnamon chips for the Cinnamon Fav-R-Bites? Don’t soak the chips in the half and half/milk. And reduce the liquid to 1/2 to 2/3 cup starting with 1/2 cup, and adding more if the dough seems to dry.” What liquid? The milk/half and half? It is the only liquid in the batter so I’m guess it is that, but when I mixed everything together without any extra liquid – eggs, vanilla, & chips only – it all stuck together without flour showing. I’ll call your help line but unless someone is there at 10 pm EDT, I think I’m winging this one.
    I’m sorry the recipe gave you trouble. We’re open from 8 a.m. til 9 p.m. EDT, Monday through Friday and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., so give us a call and we’ll be happy to troubleshoot it with you. Molly @ KAF

23. Christina

I was trying to avoid coming here and then you had to do it. Triple. Cinnamon.

I altered the recipe a bit to make it dairy free:
    -Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks for butter,
    -cinnamon/sugar for the Baker’s Special Cinnamon (it has a dairy product in it – sodium caseinate, iirc)
    -coconut milk beverage/creamer for the milk.

The smells coming from my oven are fabulous and the kids are in the kitchen pestering my husband about if they are cool enough to eat them.

My straight out of the oven nip tells me they are a winner! Way to go!

Way to go to YOU, Christina. Those substitutions sound absolutely delightful – hope they turned out to be a hit with your family. :) PJH

24. Kate

Oh I’m so excited!! I’ve been looking for a good cinnamon scone recipe for YEARS… can’t wait to try this!! :) Thank you

25. Rebecca

I made these wonderful scones and TOTALLY forgot to add the cinnamon chips! So they were “double” cinnamon. Yet, they were absolutely delicious and I love them. They were so easy and FUN to make. I had never even looked at a scone recipe, thinking it was something too complicated, but your blog with the everday, chatting conversation from the cooks along with the everyday closeups of how to make them made me think I could do it. And I did, with great results. Thank you so much!!

26. Karen Greene

I made these yesterday morning when my adult children and friends were in the house. The smell alone brought everyone to the kitchen. A lot of mmmmms and these are the best scones I’ve ever eaten were the comments. They were so full of cinnamon and absolutely delicious. I used regular cinnamon chips, which is what I had on hand, and adjusted the liquid like the reciepe stated. Plan to make another batch tomorrow. I love your website and especially the bakers banter. I have steered many people to your site and am a firm believer that KAF truely does make a difference in baking. Thanks for all the great tips and recipes!

27. Diana

(Don’t know if anyone will see this, as it’s so long after all these other posts, but it’s worth a try!)

I’ve just made these wonderful scones substituting the recommended butter/brown sugar/cinnamon mixture for the KAF Cinnamon Filling. Is there anything I could have done to prevent the filling from oozing out all over the pan? There’s still enough inside for total yummy-ness, but they don’t have that neat look yours do.

Is there some trick to keeping a butter-&-sugar filling inside where it belongs?

Diana, glad you decided to comment here – we’re always happy to hear from our readers. You could try adding cornstarch – maybe 2 tablespoons? – to the mixture. That should help keep it inside. I’m glad you enjoyed them, despite their looks – remember, beauty is only crust-deep! :) PJH

2. Diana

That’s going to be my new baking mantra! :D Thank you, PJ! Trying your hint is a great excuse to make these again soon!