Save that sourdough! Cinnamon-Apple Flatbread

img_8733-1

One of the most common queries we get via our Bakers’ Hotline is this:

“I hate discarding a cup of sourdough starter every time I feed it. Isn’t there something else I can do with it, besides just throw it away?”

Ah, we’re all thrifty New Englanders at heart, right? And I agree – it just feels wrong to throw flour (starter) in the trash bucket. Luckily, there’s plenty you can do with excess starter besides dump it. So here goes:

•First, be generous. Give a cup of starter to your neighbor to feed and cherish and make her/his own;
•Whip up a batch of overnight sourdough waffles or pancakes, best you’ve ever tasted;
•Celebrate a birthday with a lovely layered sourdough carrot cake;
•Pizza is always a plus; and sourdough pizza crust is yummy;
•Tea and Sourdough crumpets, anyone?

Really, you can use that sourdough in a whole variety of recipes. Think of it this way: sourdough starter is basically equal parts flour and water, by weight. So 1 cup of flour (4 1/4 ounces) + 1/2 cup water (4 ounces) = 1 cup starter. (No, I’m not arithmetic-challenged! We don’t quibble about the 1/4 ounce.)

Back to that about-to-be-discarded starter: do you have another bread recipe you’d like to make? Substitute 1 cup starter for 1/2 cup of the water and 1 cup of the flour. Keep in mind your loaf may be slightly tangier than usual. Most savory-type yeast loaves (rye, whole wheat, artisan breads of all kinds) will do great with this substitution.

Beware of substituting willy-nilly in recipes that are chemically leavened, e.g., anything using baking powder/baking soda. Why? Because the starter will throw off the acid balance these leaveners depend upon to work. However, if the recipe calls for buttermilk or yogurt (both acidic, like sourdough), you could try replacing 1/2 cup of the buttermilk and 1 cup of flour with 1 cup unfed sourdough starter.

So why even bother to feed sourdough, if you can just go ahead and use it unfed? First, to keep it alive. And second, without being fed, sourdough doesn’t have much leavening ability. It’s the feeding that gets the yeast going. Use unfed starter in a yeast bread recipe strictly for flavor (and to use up the starter); not for its leavening power.

OK, are we straight here? You don’t HAVE to throw away that cup of starter prior to feeding your sourdough.

But neither do you have to use unfed starter in the following recipe. Fed, unfed… both will work.

What will the difference be in the final product, you ask? The fed-starter crust will be slightly lighter-textured.

img_8704.JPG

We’re going to begin this recipe with sourdough starter.

I’d just fed this sourdough the night before, so it looks very happy. (I took the unfed starter and made overnight waffles.)

Happy, fed sourdough looks glossy and “full” and bubbly. It smells “wheaty,” and mildly of vinegar/alcohol.

Spoon 1 cup of fed sourdough starter into a mixing bowl. Or 1 cup of unfed sourdough. Don’t worry, there’s enough added yeast in this recipe to make up for any lost leavening power.

Not into sourdough? You can still make this flatbread. Simply substitute 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour and 1/2 cup lukewarm water for the 1 cup of starter.

img_8619.JPG

Here’s the starter in the bowl.

img_8621.JPG

Add the following:

3/4 cup lukewarm water
2 teaspoons instant yeast
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons olive oil

img_8622.JPG

Mix till cohesive…

img_8623.JPG

..then knead till smooth.

img_8710.JPG

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or large measuring cup

img_8712.JPG

…and let it rise for 1 hour. It will have become puffy, but probably won’t have doubled.

Gently deflate the dough, and allow it to rise for another hour.

img_8714.JPG

The dough should have at least doubled in bulk, or come close to it. While the dough is rising, prepare the topping.

img_8629.JPG

Core 4 very large, firm, unpeeled apples (about 2 pounds). Cut each apple into 8 wedges; an apple corer/slicer works well here.

img_8631.JPG

Cut each of the wedges into 3 pieces; you’ll have 7 to 7 1/2 cups (about 27 ounces) of apple chunks.

img_8632.JPG

Two of my favorite apple ingredients: boiled cider, and grade B “cooking maple” maple syrup.

Boiled cider is a thick syrup boiled down from fresh apple cider. No extra sweetener is added – but none’s needed. Tasting intensely of apples, it’s the perfect final touch for any kind of apple dish.

Cooking maple is stronger and more assertively maple than pancake syrup. But actually, I prefer it to pancake syrup. Never mind the Grade A, “light amber” stuff; I want my maple syrup STRONG.

img_8634.JPG

Put the chunks in a shallow microwave-safe bowl, and drizzle with 1/4 cup boiled cider and 1/4 cup maple syrup. Don’t have boiled cider or maple syrup? Drizzle with 1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup agave syrup, or the sweetener of your choice.

img_8636.JPG

Toss till the apples are coated with the syrup.

img_8641.JPG

Cover the bowl, and microwave the apples till they’ve softened, but still hold their shape. In our microwave here, that took about 9 minutes.

Can you do this on the stovetop? Sure. Cook gently till the apples are al dente – not crisp, but still able to hold their shape.

img_8642.JPG

Drain the apples, reserving the juice. Set them aside to cool while the dough is rising.

Lightly grease an 18” x 13” rimmed baking sheet (half-sheet pan), or two 9” x 13” pans.

Drizzle olive oil atop the spray; the spray keeps the bread from sticking, while the olive oil gives the bottom crust great crunch and flavor.

img_8644.JPG

Gently deflate the risen dough, and place it in the pan. (Or divide it in half, and put in the two smaller pans.)

img_8645.JPG

Pull and shape the dough into a rough rectangle. Pat and stretch it towards the edges of the pan.

The dough will shrink back; as soon as it does, cover it and walk away for 10 to 15 minutes.

img_8648.JPG

Return, and pat it towards the edges of the pan again. You may have to give it another rest; that’s OK. Your ultimate goal is to stretch the dough to cover the bottom of the pan, with perhaps just the very corners uncovered.

img_8649.JPG

Arrange the apple chunks atop the dough.

Mix 1/4 cup of the reserved syrup with 1/4 cup Baker’s Cinnamon Filling or 1/4 cup cinnamon-sugar. The Baker’s Cinnamon Filling will yield a richer, creamier topping.

img_8652.JPG

Drizzle the syrup over the apples.

img_8653.JPG

Try to drizzle as evenly as possible. I made kind of a puddle in the middle – the  hazards of trying to drizzle with one hand, and take an action photo with the other!

img_8658.JPG

Cover the bread, and let it rise for 1 hour, till it’s nice and puffy. See how the edges have started to puff up around the apples?

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.

img_8662.JPG

Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons white sparkling sugar over the apples.

img_8664.JPG

This flatbread is really looking good, isn’t it?

img_8665.JPG

Bake it for 25 to 30 minutes, till the crust is golden brown around the edges and feels set in the center.

img_8672.JPG

Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out onto a rack.

img_8671.JPG

Serve warm.  Room temperature is fine, too.

img_8674.JPG

Here’s how sourdough helps with this bread’s texture – it’s truly lovely. Crisp on the outside, light and soft within.

img_8682.JPG

One more look… dig in!

I got so enthused with this crust, I decided to make pizza.

img_8708.JPG

Cabot chipotle cheddar…

img_8711.JPG

…sautéed mushrooms…

img_8724.JPG

…and pepperoni, layered on top before rising.

img_8722.JPG

Let the dough rise up around the toppings, just as it did around the apples.

img_8740.JPG

Bake till golden brown. The result is pizza with the toppings partially embedded in the dough; a stuffed pizza, of sorts.

jim.jpg

Party time! Seems like we always celebrate birthdays with pizza. Jim, our Web designer, got to wear the birthday hat and enjoy the first piece.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Cinnamon-Apple Flatbread.

New to sourdough? Find the help you need for all of your sourdough baking at our Sourdough Essentials page.

comments

1. Leslie Limon

I’ve never tried making my own sourdough starter. But I think I’m going to have to give it a try. Both the Cinnamon-Apple Flatbread and the Pizza look DELICIOUS! :)

2. Bonnie

Thanks, PJ – I really do hate tossing that cup of starter each week. I have a question on the apples – would this work as well if the apples were peeled, or would they just turn to applesauce?
    If you want to peel you apples that will be fine, they will not turn to applesauce. JMD @KAF

3. Carol

Wow, this looks good. I’ll definitely try it but will add some whole wheat flour– I never bake with all white any more. Wish you’d give tested options with more whole grains as often as possible!

1. bakersresource

</brstrong>When using wheat flour in an all purpose recipe, start with 1/4 whole wheat for white. If the taste and texture meet your needs, increase to 1/2 whole wheat flour. Check taste and texture again and increase to meet your expectations. Happy (whole wheat) Replacement! Irene @ KAF

4. Katerina

Hi,
    I understood how to make a sourdough starter but I don’t know how to feed it. Could you please help me on that? Thank you.
    Here is a link for directions on feeding your sourdough. JMD@KAF

5. B Haramis

Being a “Mainiac” by birth, I appreciate the suggestions for the use of the “throw-away” starter. I cringe when I refresh.

6. non

I didn’t understand the substitution for boiled cider…I have maple syrup, but not the boiled cider. I should use 1/4 cup maple syrup and how much agave syrup or honey?
    Also, can I make boiled cider on my own by boiling down regular cider? (if so, how concentrated should the boiled cider be? 1/2 regular strength, 1/4, or what?)
    Thanks for any help
    the apple-cinammon flatbread just looks delicious…!

7. Sharon

PJ, how do you store your starters at KA? I’ve always just put the remaining starter in the refrigerator, and left it until I want to use it again. Then, I take it out either the night before, or very early the day I want to use it, and feed the starter.

Lately, I’ve been reading that some people leave their starters out, and feed them twice a day. I’ve been baking bread with mine for the first time. Prior to that, I only made pancakes or waffles. The starter I ordered from KA is very active, so much so that I do have to stir it down once just after I put it in the fridge.

I’m just curious if I’m feeding it enough to bake bread. I notice Bonnie says she only uses hers once a week, too.

I’m a neglectful parent, Sharon – I feed my starter about once every 3 months, if that! The rest of the time it sits in the back of the fridge. When I do neglect it like that, it helps to feed it twice, a day apart; revs it right up again. If you keep it out and keep feeding it and using it, it’ll become very active; good for people who want to make sourdough with no added yeast. I just don’t bake sourdough that often. Either way is fine – whatever works for you. PJH

8. non

“You can “Drizzle with 1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup agave syrup, or the sweetener of your choice.” instead of the maple syrup or boiled cider. Boiled cider should be reduced in special equipment and not made by the home baker. JMD@KAF”

ah – OK, thanks. Now is there some problem with using 1/3 cup maple syrup? (I like the flavor more than honey)

Anyway, this looks terrific and thanks for your help

1. bakersresource

This sweetener of your choice (maple syrup) sounds terrific! Let us know how your finished product tastes. Yes, focaccia is another good platform for many toppings – savory or sweet. Irene @ KAF

9. Jackie Julty

Hi:
    Wow, this looks cool! Can you make your own sourdough starter without having to buy one? I would like to try to make this. Or can you make it with a foccacia dough?Thanks

There are a couple sourdough starter recipes on the recipe section of our website. Focaccia dough would be a good platform for this apple/cinnamon treat. Irene @ KAF

10. Mary J

Glad for the fresh ideas. Guess, I’ve been in dullsville for a while.
    I’ve only been using my starter for bread making. Love the carrot
    cake idea and the flat breads look delicious. Thanks for the wake
    up call.

11. Amy

I have a bag of apple slices in the freezer that stares me in the face every time I open the door. Now I know what to do with it besides making apple pie or apple crisp. DH loves “pizza” and I think the apples would be a fun change of pace.

How do you distinguish between “fed” and “unfed”? If I fed my starter 24 hours ago, is it now unfed? What about if it’s only been 8 hours since it was fed?
    A fed starter is one that has been fed up to 12 hours ahead. We have some great information at this link. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/tips/sourdough-tips.html JMD@KAF

12. Bonnie

I’m back again to report, as I made this recipe last night. A couple of observations: as noted in the directions, it’s probably best served warm, but I made it last night and brought it in to the office this morning. Should have warmed it up this morning but didn’t have time :( It’s good, but the bread is just a teensy bit dry from its overnight sit on the counter. I think it would be absolutely awesome served warm or within a couple hours.

Secondly, when spreading & shaping the dough in the pan, be careful not to pull too hard and thin out the middle. I found myself doing that, and a thin middle means too much bread on the sides. Once I caught myself and reshaped, it was fine.

Lastly, this is not a super-sweet bread, and that’s one of the things I like about it. The apples in the boiled cider/maple syrup/cinnamon filling are really marvelous.

13. Jackie Julty

Wow! This looks really cool. Can this be done , say with a foccaccia bread dough? Can you make a sourdough starter at home without having to buy a starter? This is a really cool site.I wish there was a KAF store in the SF Bay area[ I know that I can get the flour locally, but it is the other goodies that I would like to be able to buy;-) ]
    Yes you may make your own starter at home-we have some recipes to do this on our web site in the recipe section. And yes you can use a foccaccia bread dough if you choose to. JMD@KAF

14. Kate

Thanks, PJ, for giving me the courage to admit that I am a VERY neglectful starter parent. Would you happen to know just how long starter can be neglected before it has to be tossed out?
    If your starter has any pink or purple in it you will need to start again. Time wise it is difficult to say. But if yours has been sitting in the back of your fridge for awhile you can feed it and see it it responds to the new food. If it does (and you may have to feed it a few times if it has been awhile) you are all set. JMD @KAF

15. Mags

Oh wow. I just finished making this and have to tell you that it is fabulous. I’ve dubbed it “Apple Cinnamon Focaccia” because the dough reminds me so much of focaccia. I subbed half white whole wheat flour and half bread flour for the AP flour and I had to make my own cinnamon drizzle because I was out of the Baker’s Cinnamon Filling (how could I be so careless?) but stayed on course for the rest of the recipe. Great recipe!

16. Jeri Hurd

Oh, this looks great! Might be a lovely brunch, with some scrambled eggs!

Oh, hey, while I’m thinking about starter (I’m another 3 months in the back of the fridge person)…you guys will love this. I got my starter from KAF when I was taking the Artisan bread class. Susan told us the whole story of how long it had been going, etc.

Well, I’m moving to Mongolia in August…and definitely taking my starter with me! So now your starter is going international! : )

Jeri, how cool! An international presence for a New England starter…. best of luck as you make bread halfway around the world- PJH

17. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

I´d made this bread yesterday. I had no dry milk, then i used non-fat liquid milk. The result was that the dough didn´t achieved the crunchiness we desire. It turns softly, and it was not so good. Otherhand the taste and nice view of this bread was pretty good! I´d added some walnuts on top, and used a brown sugar mixed with water, and cinnamon sugar as a drizzling. Not so good too, but sometimes it works, if we don´t have another options!
    Nice delicious bread!!

18. Stacy

I just got my starter yesterday and was reading how to activate it and then the feeding directions and was thinking it was such a waste to just throw all of it away everytime I fed it, so I am really really excited about this and your site in general, I am just now getting into making my own bread! Thanks for the tips!

19. Patti S

Fantastic information, all of it! “The fed-starter crust will be slightly lighter-textured.” That’s the kind of info that helps me decide what to make with what I have. “…replacing 1/2 cup of the buttermilk and 1 cup of flour with 1 cup unfed sourdough starter.” Thanks for that tip, too! I bought your starter and crock last year and it’s been a great addition to my baking. I work full time so it’s not unusual for me to have a time crunch in relationship to the starter feedings and my baking schedule.
    Have you any experience with an “Amish Friendship Starter,” the one that is fed flour, sugar, and milk? Sometimes it’s called “Herman.” I’ve used it in quick bread, muffins, pancakes, coffee cake, cornbread, waffles, and even aebleskivers.
    I bake for a diabetic person and wish to keep the sugar to a minimum. For that reason, I only feed the starter KAF whole wheat flour, whole milk, and only half the sugar the traditional recipe calls for. Sometimes the sugar I choose is raw sugar, but it thins the dough out quite a bit and I can more reliably add the starter to my recipes when it’s thicker. The starter itself is fed sugar while I substitute some or all of the sugar in all recipes with Stevia (used to use Splenda but more and more medical concerns arose in the press). My intention is to lower the glycemic index without losing the best properties of the starter (moist, tender crumb, complex flavors, etc).
    Can you help me find the optimum interval after feeding the starter where I can expect the sugar content to be the lowest? Conventional wisdom holds that the before-feeding starter is lower in sugar, but I know I have to feed the thing for it to survive. Does the sugar content ever drop enough to become a non-issue for a diabetic? Are there any better ingredients to feed Herman?
    I truly enjoy the results this starter gives my quick breads and such, and I think the whole wheat flour has helped me provide a more healthful baked good. The substitution of the sugar with Truvia / Stevia (in the recipe, not the starter) has also proved healthful, but I am anxious to find the starter’s optimum yeast growth coupled with the lowest sugar levels to make my recipes even more healthy for a diabetic without losing the wonderful flavors and texture we’ve enjoyed.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Gosh, I’m sorry, Patti – we make it a practice to never advise on condition-specific health matters (e.g., diabetes). We’re just not qualified to do so. Beyond that – you’re much more experienced than I in feeding Herman. I had Herman once, but it was probably 18 years ago, and I remember very little about the experience. I wonder if you might just use a regular starter fed with milk, but not sugar? Or fed the normal way, with water? I’ve used regular starter to make cake with great success – so perhaps Herman can become just “Regular Joe” starter and still be used in your sweet recipes? PJH

20. Lish

I made this with my home canned peaches rather than apples, since my husband finished the apples making me something yummy. I drained the peaches really well, and didn’t cook them since they were blanched and then boiled in the canner. I used a little of the drained peach juice mixed with the bakers cinnamon filling and it was wonderful. I can’t wait to try it with the apples, but the peaches were a great thing to try anyway. I adore this crust, and I even used my whole wheat sourdough to make it. So fantastic, tangy tender and crunchy on the outside. I even used orange flavored olive oil on the pan, and my kids ate a ton of this for breakfast. I love seeing recipes that use things I almost always have. Thanks for another favorite way to use my sourdough. It gives me reason to feed it more often, as I am also a 2 month back of the fridge sourdough girl.

Alicia, great ideas – orange olive oil? Never thought of it, but perfect! Thanks for connecting here – PJH

21. Sarah @ Mum In Bloom

Saw your link over at Brenda’s Canadian Kitchen – your blog is great! I’m so glad I found you. You’ve inspired me to get started with sourdough – thank you :) I’m going to add you to my blog’s sidebar and follow.

Hey, thanks, Sarah – appreciate the link. And thanks for chiming in here- PJH

22. Han Lam

Hi,
    I just wonder if there is a way to prepare the dough a night or 1 to 2 days before and make the pizza the next day? I’d really appreciate your thought.

Sure, Han – you could prepare dough the day before, and leave it in the fridge for 24 hours or so. Cut back the yeast to 1 teaspoon. And give the dough extra time to rise the next day, since it’ll be cold. For loner storage, best to freeze the dough, then thaw overnight in the fridge when you want to use it. Again, give it extra rising time. Good luck – PJH

23. Kimberley A. Fisher

I’ve been having so much fun with my sourdough starter! Thanks for yet another wonderful recipe for using it. The Sourdought Carrot cake is fabulous and I’ve tried at least half of your other sourdough recipes from crumpets & waffles to bread. It also made me think of the Amish Friendship bread starter which is something I’ve “acquired” from a friend a couple times over the year and is my husband’s favorite. So a few weeks ago I decided to try it starting with KAF sourdough starter. I didn’t want to have WAY too much of it in the end and didn’t want to be throwing any away so did it as follows: 1/2 c. KAF sourdough starter, 1/2 c. Milk, 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 c. sugar (the usual recipes always tell you to do 1 c. each of milk, flour & sugar). I let that sit for a couple days and then fed it again two more times at about 2 day intervals. Then I used it according to the Amish Friendship bread recipes I found on the internet. There are many different versions but I just did a plain vanilla-cinnamon and a lemon-poppy seed. They were really delicious.

Also, I’m a little puzzled by the idea of throwing away starter at all…whenever I feed my starter it seems like I actually have to increase it in order to have enough for whatever I’m going to make and still leave at least a cup in the crock. I’ve never thrown any away except for once when I went too long between feedings and had to “revive” it. Perhaps this is becuase I usually make at least a double or tripple a recipe when I make bread and need it all? I typically bake with it at least once a week so it’s getting fed every 7 days or so any way. Is that often enough to feed it? Do you discard some only because when it’s fed you end up with too much or is there an important “chemical” reason for discarding some? Also, I find it seems too thick at 1/2 c. water to 1 c. flour and typically add slightly more water than that, maybe 2-3 T. If I don’t add the extra water it’s almot too thick to stir. I do it so that I can just barely stir it all up but it’s still pretty thick. I do live in a drier climate than you folks on the Eastern Seaboard so maybe that’s why I seem to want to add more water. What would happen if I’m actually getting it a little too wet? Will that hurt the cultures in the starter or just affect the outcome of the recipe slightly? In general I use the amount of flour in a bread recipe as a “guideline” rather than an exact amount and just add flour until the dough is the consistency that I’m looking for.

Kimberley, sounds like you’re feeding your starter just fine; whatever schedule works for you and your bread is the “right” schedule. As for getting it too wet, I believe the wetter the sourdough, the more sour it can become more quickly, so it would affect the recipe slightly, both in taste, and in flour/liquid balance. The discard is simply so that you don’t end up with too much; no chemical thing happening. So if you’re making double/triple recipes and using more starter, then you probably wouldn’t need to discard. Only discard (or share, or…) if you find yourself with too much. Bottom line – sounds like you’re doing everything right. Keep up the good work! :) PJH

24. Cheryl Meadors

I’m starting to lose my faith in KA recipes. I spent 3.5 hours making the Apple Flatbread last Saturday. It smelled great and looked great but my husband’s comment was ‘disgusting’. The flavor combination of olive oil, apples and cinnamon was not appealing. I’ve had similar ‘feedback’ on 2 other recent recipes (coconut chocolate ship cookies were hard as rocks and rhubard muffins out of the last Baker’s Sheet were off on multiple dimensions.) Please restore my faith! I’m sorry you had problems with those recipes. I suggest you give us a call so we can help trouble shoot. 800-827-6836. Mary @ KAF

25. Micki Bauer

This looks delicious, and something I’m sure to pass on to my daughter who has been doing lots of sour-dough experimentation.

26. Sarah @ Mum In Bloom

I just noticed there’s no way to print this great recipe :( I’m going to copy it and past it into Word then print it I think. Would be great if I didn’t have to though :)

Recipe link’s at the end of the blog, Sarah. Next time, jst click on “printable versoin,” above the recipe photo. Here’s the link: Cinnamon Apple Flatbread. Enjoy- PJH

27. larry

It seems my starter is very, very thick. It doesn’t look like the pictures on your sourdough tips page. I’ve been feeding it with 1/2 c water to 1 c flour. Have I ruined my starter? Can I thin it without changing the acidity?

Sure, Larry, no problem. Just feed it with equal parts, by volume, flour and water. Once may be all you need; if you want it thinner, do it again. Sourdough can vary wildly in consistency, but the standard I strive for is like a thick pancake batter – barely pourable, but definitely not as thick as dough. Good luck – PJH

28. GenPenrymuG

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
    I’ve been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

Thumbs up, and keep it going!

Cheers
    Christian

29. Joe

This cinnamon apple flatbread was wonderful – I have a neighbor who always wants apple pie for her birthday. I made this apple bread instead of pie. She looked a little disappointed when i presented it to her, but after eating the apple bread she requested that I make this for her every year. Congratulations on another good recipe.

30. MGW960W

It was after reading this post with all the comments, as well as the other sourdough posts on the KAF site, that I finally decided to take the plunge. A week ago I began creating the sourdough starter from Peter Reinhart’s The Bread Baker’s Apprentice, which begins with rye flour and pineapple juice. It’s a strange combination that Reinhart says helps inhibit “bad” microbes and encourage good ones – he credits the bakers from KAF for the information. In my fairly cool kitchen it took one day longer than he describes, but I now have a nice bubbly starter in the fridge. Thank you, PJ, for your laid back attitude toward sourdough and for the instructions on using the starter removed from the crock. Like so many, I couldn’t possibly throw away a cup of starter at every feeding and I couldn’t possibly feed it on the rigid schedule to which so many people adhere. This blog and the KAF products and people have made my retirement life a productive series of happy baking experiments. My family, neighbors, and I thank you.

So glad we could help – and thank you for connecting here. Happy baking! PJH

31. albaatros

Hi. I am a recent sourdough baker. I guess you could say I’m “hooked”. So far I have made the sourdough baguettes (liked original better), rustic sourdough bread, sourdough chocolate cake (amazing, can’t say enough good about it), and, most recently, sourdough carrot cake (very good). Merlin’s magic sourdough bread is currently bubbling away on my countertop. I also feel it is a waste to throw out the cup of starter. So, now I am searching for ways to use that cup (unfed) in recipes. I purchased my starter from KA. It smells sour, but it does not have a strong sour flavor in bread. From what I can read, it seems that may be caused by using it at least once (usually more) times a week. I suppose that is a good thing because my family is not quick to accept new tastes. This way they can get used to the new flavors gradually. My starter is also very thick (not liquidy at all, more like a very soft, sticky dough). It works just fine in recipes with a little moisture adjustments. Just my experiences!

32. Diane

What a disaster! Next time I will throw out that starter. If you don’t have the boiled cider dont think you can substitute the drippings from the apples or maybe it shouldn’t be drizzled on the dough until just before hitting the oven. The syrup/sugary liquid ran under my dough and proceeded to burn, filling my house with smoke. Even the smoke alarm went off. I’m so sad that I wasted my precious apples. I will stick to pies and cobbler.
    I’m sorry to hear this recipe didn’t work out for you. Next time you might want to try reducing apple juice to a syrup and using that in place of the boiled cider. Or, reduce the leftover juices from the apples to a syrup after cooking. Please call our Baker’s Hotline and we’ll be happy to help! ~Mel .

33. Elissa Feldman

Dear KA,
    I just made your Cinnamon Apple Flatbread, and it came out fabulous ! Thanks for a great blog with terrific instructions. You made it easy. Thanks, PJH and KA!