What do readers say about this gluten-free pizza crust? “AMAZING!”

“Wow!! I’ve been gluten free for 4 months and I thought my other recipes were as good as it was going to get… This tastes like the REAL thing! My picky non-celiac husband said it tasted like real pizza!” – Ingrid, Maine

“Oh my word!!! My son has been gluten-free for 10 years. I have made every variation of every pizza crust attempt and this outweighs them ALL! He has eaten 5 pizzas in 5 days… and would have had more but his poor mother can’t make them fast enough! Thanks King Arthur Flour!” – Jen, New Jersey

“This is one of the best pizza crusts I have tried.” – Diana, Montana

“I was a bit dubious whether the dough would bake up nicely, as it looks, feels and handles differently than a gluten dough. I never should have doubted you King Arthur! The crust turned out beautifully light and crisp! Best of all, my husband is happy! Again, a thousand thanks!” – MZH, North Carolina

Our readers say it best – if you need to bake gluten-free, this pizza crust recipe is going to make you very, very happy indeed. Without further ado, let’s make a GF pizza.

Now, you have two choices for flour here. Our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour is pre-blended, so you can use it “straight” – no need to combine multiple flours. It’s a carefully tested blend of white rice and whole-grain (brown) rice flours, tapioca starch, and potato starch.

This blend is not only handy; it includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. It also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer. Which really isn’t key for pizza… so let’s move to the  homemade option.

If you’d rather make your own blend of GF flours, the following brown rice flour blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works well when substituted for our GF multi-purpose flour; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown rice flour. The recipe below makes 9 cups, so you’ll have plenty for future GF baking projects.

Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca starch or tapioca flour. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it’ll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version).

Now, on to our crust.

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

1 1/2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or brown rice flour blend
2 tablespoons buttermilk powder or nonfat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Whisk to combine.

Aw, do I REALLY need the xanthan gum? I don’t have any. What happens if I leave it out?

Your pizza crust falls apart. Yes, you really do need xanthan gum; it steps in for the missing gluten to provide baked goods with their structure.

If you’re going to be baking gluten-free, bite the bullet – buy some xanthan gum.

In a separate bowl or measuring cup, combine the following:

1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil

Scoop 1/2 cup of the GF multi-purpose flour or brown rice flour blend from the other bowl, and add it to this liquid mixture.

Stir to combine; a  few lumps are OK.

Set aside for 30 minutes or so, until the mixture is bubbly and smells yeasty.

Look at that yeast go!

Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients you stirred together earlier.

Beat on medium-high speed for 4 minutes, using an electric mixer. Yes, you must use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to make this dough; mixing by hand doesn’t do a thorough enough job.

The mixture will be thick and sticky; if you’ve ever applied spackling compound to a wall, that’s exactly what it’ll look and feel like.

Cover the bowl, and let the dough rest for 30 minutes or so.

While the dough is resting, grease a baking sheet or ≈ round pizza pan, and drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil into the center.

Let’s go back to the dough. It doesn’t look like it’s done much, does it?

But take a peek underneath the surface – the yeast is doing its thing.

Scrape the dough from the bowl onto the puddle of oil.

Using your wet fingers, start at the center of the dough and work outwards, pressing it into a 12” to 14” circle.

Let the dough rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes. As you can see, there’s plenty of oil to keep it moist.

Don’t like using so much oil? Your choice. But all of us here at King Arthur much preferred gluten-free pizza with an ultra-crisp bottom crust, an attribute only oil can give. And besides, 2 tablespoons of oil divided by 8 slices is less than 1 teaspoon per slice.

Preheat the oven to 425°F while the crust is resting.

Put the pan on a lower rack, and bake the crust for 8 to 10 minutes, just until it’s set.

The surface will go from shiny to matte.

Remove the crust from the oven, and take a look underneath; it should be browning nicely.

Top crust with whatever you like. Here we’re using classic red sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni.

Return to the oven to finish baking, about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the toppings you’ve chosen.

Remove from the oven. Gluten-free baked goods can tend towards gumminess; this crust, with its beautifully crisp, brown bottom avoids that pitfall.

Serve warm – with kudos from your GF friends.

A plain cheese version is fine for your vegetarian buddies.

And, feel free to make the crust a bit thicker, if you like. After all, not everyone likes “thin ’n’ crispy.”

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Gluten-Free Pizza Crust.

comments

1. Sandy

I placed an order yesterday for your g-free flour, choc chip cookie mix and pancake mixes. My 15 y/o granddaughter, who is Celiac, is coming for a visit this month so will try your flour and mixes out on her!

2. Wei-Wei

This looks amazing! Nobody I know has celiac, but knowing that there are decent gluten-free recipes out there certainly calms my mind. Thanks! :)

Wei-Wei

3. Lucy

I am so excited by this posting. My niece is arriving in one week and she needs gluten-free food, so this is definitely on my list to serve just for her. She is moving to Costa Rica with her family and i am going to arrange for a shipment of your gluten-free mixes to arrive when they move into their new home in a couple of months. Thank you again for all the research which went into producing your mixes. What a wonderful service to your customers and i hope they become a financial success for King Arthur. Your company is the best.

Our customer suggestions encourage and inspire us….our customer enthusiasm keeps us going! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

4. ladyfish

You made me cry! Been gluten free since January & I would do almost anything for a pizza. THANK YOU, Thank you, Thank you.
    (now for a good Ciabata bread recipe, please)

5. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

I have only one crucial problem here. Difficult to find Xanthan-gum here in my region, specially in my city. I´ll try to find it at Rio de Janeiro to try this thin crust pizza. I love this kind of thin crust pizza. Here in Brazil are commons pizzas made with fry-pan, thin and crusty, lovely. I have a nice recipe of Pizza Romana from Stella Standard book called Homemade Breads.I´ll give a try at that recipe with gluten-free ingredients!

6. Stephanie B.

I tried this crust recipe yesterday and it was really good. Mine was a bit thick so next time I will use less dough and make it thinner. But the taste and texture was great! Now if I could just get the King Arthur GF flours locally. Shipping makes it so hard to afford ording from you. Check out my blog (links included) where I have placed pictures of my pizza outcome.

Looks great, Stephanie! Thanks for sharing the link to your blog here- PJH

7. Mariana

Can you mix in in the bread machine?

I’d think so, Mariana, with all of that agitation from the long knead. Give it a try, let us know how it goes – PJH

8. sandra

where do I find these flours and mixes? I live in Texas
    Stores are just beginning to carry the products, and more are picking them up everyday. We don’t currently have a database of which stores in which states have the gluten free, but will offer that as soon as it’s complied and available. You can ALWAYS get the gluten free products directly from us. We’re happy to help. ~ MaryJane

9. ladyfish

Dear Sandra:

Found King Arthur GLUTEN FREE FLOURS in HEB, here in Beaumont, TX, yesterday. (I thanked the store manager!) Will try to make the pizza this weekend……

10. Melissa

I’ve been doing a gluten free diet for my 4 yr old son for the last 4 days and was ready to order the mixes and flour this week when I happened upon them at my local HEB in Round Rock, TX!!!! I was so thrilled and bought 3 different ones. I can’t wait to make him pancakes in the morning (he’s very excited as well and wants blueberry ones). I love to bake, as does he, and am happy I still can with the gluten free line. I can’t wait to see what else you come up with. I am such a fan of King Arthur products. Thank you so much!

Glad we could help you keep baking, Melissa – hope your son is VERY happy with the results! PJH

11. Marie Fonzi

Where can we purchase this product?
    We will be selling it in supermarkets and it’s in HEB stores now but if you don’t see it ask your store manager to carry it. Otherwise, you can order from us here Molly @ KAF

12. Colleen

Finally a thin, crispy gluten free crust! Thank you! Can this recipe be doubled/tripled for company?

Absolutely, Colleen – no reason why not. Enjoy – PJH

13. Rene

We just found out that our whole family has Celiac after are 12 mo started having severe issues. I have been an avid bakers since I got your bakers companion book for Christmas years ago (a subtly hint from my husband). It broke my heart that I wouldn’t be able to bake for my family anymore and that I was actually hurting them. I didn’t know where to turn until KA started advertising their GF products in the catelog. I could have cried. Of course, I thought, my resource for baking for years should have been the first place I turned to. I put in a huge order in today and know that I can again bake with satisfied taste testers as long as KA is in my corner. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You have given me the chance to bake again and the ability to keep my family healthy.
    Rene

14. Rene

P.S. Any chance of getting a GF recipe for Grahm crackers, or any cracker. Our celiac baby use to LOVE them.

I’ll ask the test kitchen to add that one to the list. Frank @ KAF.

15. SM

I can’t wait to try this crust. That’s what I’ve been missing. A local restaurant has GF pizza but there is nothing like making it yourself! For Rene, I found a GF graham cracker recipe at Living Without Magazine online that I like. However, don’t fuss with making them square. It’s faster and less frustrating to scoop them out into balls and squish them flat instead. Lots of opportunities to use KAF there ;)

16. daphna

Is there a non-dairy replacement for the buttermilk powder, my son is sensitive to dairy as well and I need to avoid it. Thank you. Looking forward to trying this out with just veggies :-)
    You can just leave the milk/buttermilk powder out. It will still turn out fine. JMD@KAF

17. omaria

I just baked the pizza! Only for 10 minutes because I need to freeze it to take to my daughter. When frozen how long do we bake it with all the stuff on and at what temperature ? I asked the same question as Daphna and a nice lady at KAF told me I could use 2tbl. soy milk and take 2 tbl away from the water. I also added a teaspoon of onion powder and the kitchen smells wonderful. Will continue this story after my daughter has eaten her wonderful gluten and dairy free pizza. Thanks everybody!
    Hi there,
    I checked with the test kitchen and they had some great tips. Preheat the oven to 400°F, if you have a stone definitely use it. Place parchment under the crust or if you are using a pan, grease the pan well. It should take about 15-18 minutes to bake the frozen crust. All ovens vary though, so don’t worry if yours takes longer.
    Hope this helps! ~ MaryJane

18. Sarah

I just made pizza using your recipe, and it truly is very, very good. I only made one pizza, and am sad that my husband and I will have to order out so that our children can eat all of the gluten-free pizza- it’s that good! One question: I found the dough to be difficult to spread thinly in the pan (the stickiness wasn’t a problem as much as the quantity- there just wasn’t a lot of dough, and it was very soft), and was not able to raise the edge as in the picture on the recipe page. Any hints for getting a nice rolled edge? Thanks!
    Adding a bit of oil to your fingers really helps you be able to move the dough around, and it does take a bit of time. Put your iPod on your favorite song and just work away at it for a few minutes. Have fun! ~ MaryJane

19. Zanne

Can this be rolled out between 2 oiled sheets of parchment? I don’t care what shape it ends up being. I would make 2 smaller pizzas.

Also, could the initial baking, to crisp the bottom, be done on a cast iron griddle? Gluten pizzas can be baked that way, but I was thinking of that initial step while the oven was heating. If the griddle was hot and oiled, the crust should firm up quickly.

I just made what should have been a yummy pizza, but it was a storebought GF crust, and it was terrible. The toppings were good, but the crust was like cardboard. I HAVE TO GET KAF flour asap!

Thanks

Yes, you could try rolling out between greased pieces of parchment; but it’s VERY sticky, so not sure it would come off. You could also try the griddle; again, not sure you could get it on and off, as the crust is so very sticky… Maybe try tolling on parchment; hopefully peeling off the top piece of parchment, and flopping it onto the (well-oiled) griddle. Maybe once it firms on the griddle, the other piece of parchment could be pulled off. Not sure about all this, but give it a try – PJH

20. Zanne

I forgot to ask one other question. Are the sugar and buttermilk powder just a taste preference or necessary? Usually, traditional pizza is just flour, salt, water and maybe some olive oil. Just trying to figure this all out – will it work without the sweetener and milk?
    Thanks

Yes, I believe you could leave out the sugar and milk – they’re there for texture and flavor, but I’m thinking the crust would work without them. Give it a try – PJH

Rosemary, yeast is very capable of converting the starch in flour to sugar for its food – when a recipe calls for adding a bit of sugar to dough, it’s simply to give the yeast a “fast food” meal. Good question – thanks for connecting here. PJH

21. Jessica Forsman (Duluth, MN)

This recipe was insanely delicious!!!! Kudos to the folks at King Arthur!!! I could not get my hands on the GF flour, but tried the Brown rice mix recipe. My family raved about the crust. Most definitely a keeper. :)

22. Ben (NH)

FINALLY! We have been trying out gf pizzas for a few years now and this is one of the best. Thank you so much! When we used to make regular pizzas though, we would add the sugar or honey straight to the water and yeast, does this affect your recipe much?

Nope, shouldn’t affect it at all, Ben. The yeast doesn’t really need a sweetener right away; it can get going on its own just fine. But do it either way – as I said, it really doesn’t matter… PJH

23. sagehaus

Not good at all. Every person in my house made the same comment without hearing what the person before said. When I ask each one in the family what it tasted like they all said communion bread. This crust has a spongy texture and a bad aftertaste. I am a baker, so I do know how to prepare baked goods. So far I have not been impressed with the gluten free products I have tried from King Arthur.Sorry to leave a negative comment.
    We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the products. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-827-6836, so we can make this right! ~Jessica

24. anne

These measurements are off Or am I not reading it correctly. I am trying to half and I can’t decide to use ounces that you have or the correct amounts. Thanks Anne

Anne, sorry, what has you confused? The ounces are equivalent to the volumes; use either one. If you’re confused about weights, it’s true, 1 cup of stabilized brown rice flour doesn’t weight the same as 1 cup tapioca starch; dry ingredient weights are often different from one another. If you’re still confused, please call our bakers’ hotline: 802-649-3717; they’ll help you. PJH

25. Shea12484

Hi! We are pretty new to the GF world, and are trying to find foods that help us eat some things that we used to enjoy, like pizza. :) We have a lot of dietary restrictions (gluten, dairy, soy, eggs). Is there anything that we could replace the milk product in this recipe with that would be ok? Thanks in advance, hoping to try this tomorrow! :D

Just leave the milk powder out – it should still be fine. Enjoy your pizza! PJH

26. James

I made this crust yesterday and noticed that while the crust was setting in the oven, it started to puff in certain areas. Is this normal? Should the crust be docked?

Yeast crust will sometimes puff while baking solo without the toppings- either air is trapped underneath the crust or in the crust. If you prefer it flatter, poke the air pockets as they appear (as you might for a pastry crust baked without filling that may puff instead of lie flat). Happy GF Baking! Irene @ KAF

27. James Sklar

Thanks so much! This recipe is amazing. The author clearly has mad skills.

James, the recipe’s author is actually Sue Gray, our “Gluten-Free Goddess” – I will absolutely pass your kind comment along to her. :) PJH

28. James Sklar

Thank you. So one more question:

I roll out the dough on a cutting board and then using a ring mold, make a perfect 9″ circle. However, how do I transfer the dough to the baking sheet without destroying it??

James, roll on parchment; that’s your best solution. If you don’t have parchment roll on greased waxed paper or foil, and flip the crust onto the baking sheet, peeling off the paper or foil. Good luck – PJH

29. James Sklar

Hello,

I bought some pizza screens and am going to make the dough then transfer it to the screen to make life easier!

30. James Sklar

I would like to make a smaller version, a 10″ size pizza… How would I adjust this recipe accordingly?

James, a 10″ pizza would be about 22% smaller than a 12″. Go to the recipe, toggle it to show grams, and reduce everything by 22%. For the ingredients not measured in grams, you could either measure the original, and subtract 22%; or reduce the volume measurement by about 1/5. Or, simply keep the recipe as is, and shape it into a thicker 10″ crust… Good luck – PJH

31. Eddie

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. My poor wife needed to give up dairy, gluten, eggs, and a bunch more good stuff while breast-feeding. She tried a couple of gluten-free pizzas from local restaurants but was not impressed (maybe even depressed..)

I used 1/2 soy milk, 1/2 water since she can’t have dairy; it turned out amazing! Even better, she thinks I’m amazing! And the parchment paper trick is the only way to go. I spread the dough on the paper with an offset spatula, then slid it onto a cast iron pizza pan that I’d preheated in the oven for that initial bake. Perfect! And thank you again!

32. Fair S.

I don’t have any King Arthur in my pantry yet… Made this tonight using Mamas GF Almond Blend Flour mix. Question- are you supposed to mix the dry ingredients together and then remove 1/2 a cup from them to add to the yeast mixture. Or are you supposed to use 1/2 of plain GF flour that is independent from the dry ingredient mixture of flour/baking powder/buttermilk solids/salt you mix for this recipe? For a total of 2 cups of GF flour in the completed recipe. I did the latter. My dough looked similar to yours- albeit almost not as wet- and I am wondering if this was a mistake or simply due to the type of flour mix I used. My yeast failed to do much of anything- but our pizza still turned out well. Tasted great! Will be making another this weekend for sure! (^-^)
    Yes. you mix the dry together (except for the yeast) and then remove a cup to mix with the yeast, oil and water. If your yeast was inactive, it may have expired, or your water may have been too hot. Glad you enjoyed the recipe! ~Amy

33. Chris H

I am about to try your gluten free Pizza mix. Question:

Our oven is uneven and I always get best results using a stone. How do I use a stone with your mix? Bake maybe 10 min (or how many at what temp?) on steel baking pan – let cool a bit, slide on to a peel with cornmeal – top and then slide on hot pizza stone?

I really want to use the stone for a non-soggy bottom…

Chris
    I think that would be an excellent way to get the best results with a stone. YOU GO FOR IT! ~ MaryJane

34. Vicki

This pizza comes out amazing.
    It can hold the toppings and tastes good with no graininess!
    I used the buttermilk powder and sugar instead of honey and followed the directions.
    I even used a thermalpen to make sure my water was 100 degrees for the yeast.
    I put my dough onto parchment paper and cooked it on a stone.
    First pizza that looked liked pizza, crunched like pizza, and there was nothing left like good pizza. I’ve thrown soooo many pizza’s away. Finally, a pizza everyone loved. AMEN
    Please KA, sell this in a 5lb bag! The box is too small.
    I know we can mix our own but if you make it, we will buy it!
    Thank you so much for this recipe.

Your suggestion to sell the GF multi-purpose flour in larger quantity has been added to our customer observations. It’s one engine that drives change. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

35. Vicki

I put my dough onto parchment paper and then slid that onto the stone. Came out beautiful and I did have my oven on 550 degrees.
    I just watched it carefully and adjusted the time a bit.
    Mine took 8 minutes for the first bake and it was very brown already and then 12 minutes with the toppings. Was perfect inside and out. I’ve made it in a metal 12″ pan as well that I just put onto the stone and it still came out fine.
    Don’t skip any steps or time.
    I used a thermal pen to make sure the water was 100 degrees for the yeast and timed it for 30 minutes. Beautiful bubbles just like your pictures. I used a big piece of plastic wrap to spread out the dough instead of using wet hands.
    The buttermilk powder was at my regular grocery store.
    I just never noticed it before. Adds a nice flavor.
    I’ve tried it with the buttermilk powder and with milk powder.
    We all like the flavor of the buttermilk best.

Wow – thanks for this list of tips – it will help our other GF bakers make successful and delicious pizza. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

36. Judy

Can I freeze this dough before cooking it?

An excellent question, and one I am not too sure about. However, I did ask our gluten free expert, Amy and she had this to say: “I have never frozen it raw, though I’m sure it could work. I would recommend that they do it after mixing and not let it rise first, but that they add an extra ¼ tsp. yeast to the dough when they mix it to give it a wake-up boost when it thaws. Then after thawing, it would need to rise, etc. What I HAVE done is to actually shape the crusts, par bake them and freeze them so all you need to do when you want to use them is pull them out, top them and bake until hot.” I hope that helps!-Jon

37. Sam

I made this tonight with just a gluten free flour blend I threw together as I didn’t have King Arthur flour on hand. We’ve been gluten free for 3 years now, and I make pizza once a week or so. This was by far the best crust recipe I’ve tried, everyone in our family loved it!

I doubled it, but otherwise made as directed including the oil on the bottom. Amazing.
    I am so pleased to hear everyone loved. It is a keeper! Elisabeth

38. Rereann

This really IS the BEST gluten-free pizza crust recipe!! I have baked professionally and have been baking GF for over 8 years. I did not have the nonfat dry milk powder so I used milk instead of water and it still came out great! I used Trader Joe’s new GF flour as I did not have the King Arthur brand. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be able to make homemade pizza again!

So glad it worked for you – and give our KA GF flour a try sometime, too, see how you like it. I think you’ll be impressed… PJH

39. Colleen

My daughter is a vegan as well as gluten-free. Do you think not adding the dry buttermilk would make a huge difference? If so, is there something I can add that’s vegan?

You can leave out either of the milk powders and just use water in this recipe. Thanks for asking – happy baking! Irene @ KAF

40. Jen Quavelin

Any chance I could increase baking powder/add baking soda and skip the yeast? I have multiple food allergies – wheat and yeast among them…

Unfortunately we have not tried this recipe with just baking powder so it is hard to say how it will work as a complete yeast replacement. However, I would suggest to call our Baker’s Hotline and ask to speak with Amy. She is our resident gluten free expert and she may have some tips.-Jon 855-371-2253

41. Dave

Hi, I tried the recipe, and had some issues. I found that surprisingly, even with the oil, the dough was inseparable from the pan after baking. I basically had to chisel it off the pan with a spatula :(

Now, admittedly, I didn’t use a non-stick pan. But I thought the ample oil would give it enough non-stickiness to compensate. Plus, it was SO sticky that it seemed to me that even with a non-stick baking pan, it would’ve been tricky to get off the pan.

Has anyone else experienced any “release” issues in terms of getting this recipe off the pan once baked?

Several factors contribute to the release of the crust from the pan – the sticky dough and it’s 30 minute rest, 2 tablespoons oil in the pan, high heat (425′) and the lowest rack in the oven for the bake. We hope you try the recipe again and call us if you need help along the way (Baker’s Hotline direct number is 855-371-2253). Happy GF Baking! Irene@KAF

42. Dave

Hi Irene, thanks for the reply. I tried the recipe again…this time I made sure to fully and generously spray-oil the pan, followed instructions precisely to the letter (30-minute rest, 2 Tbsp oil in pan, 425, lowest rack, etc). Still had a problem getting the dough loose after 10 minutes in the oven. Had to really shove with the spatula to loosen it, and even with that, I still had part of the bottom in the middle get left behind once I finally pried the crust loose.

That being said, I was able to top the crust and (barely) slide it onto my pizza stone, and once baked, it was quite delicious. The stickiness of it, though, is really puzzling me. Are you saying that when you folks make this recipe, there’s no stickiness to the pan at all?

Dave, are you spraying the pan with non-stick vegetable oil spray first, then adding the 2 tablespoons oil? That might help. Also, after 10 minutes it’s probably not ready to come off the pan; I think you have to forgo your baking stone for this particular recipe, and just bake it completely on the pan. When it’s fully baked, it should lift off the pan easily. Next time give that a try, and check back to let us know how it went, OK? PJH

43. Dave

Hi, yes, I did spray the pan before adding the 2 Tbsp of oil. Quite a bit, actually.

I can try it without the stone this second time (I tried it without the stone the first time, by the way, which is when it stuck like glue…although that time I didn’t spray oil the pan). Like I said though, I’m pessimistic about the chances, since it went from not sticking at all when I pressed the dough out into the pan, to partially sticking after the 10-minute bake this last time I tried it. The only thing I can think of is that it’s not a non-stick pan; it’s a regular silver aluminum pizza pan that I got at a restaurant supply store in New York for baking pizza. But, then again, I’ve used it with other GF pizza dough recipes where it has performed fine, no sticking at all.

Anyway, I’ll give this recipe another shot and report back, since it really did turn out quite delicious.

Thanks for getting back – try baking all the way in the pan, without using the stone. I use just plain aluminum pans (not non-stick); and I really do think the issue is not baking fully on the pan. Let us know, OK? PJH

44. Dave

Well, I’m frankly at a loss.

I just finished my third attempt. I baked it on my 14″ pan exclusively, no pizza stone, on the lowest rack. I set my oven to 430, just in case my oven was running a little bit cool. Preheated 20 minutes in advance. Everything was fine right up until the baking–the crust looked just like the pictures on this blog once I put it into the pan just prior to baking.

I par-baked the crust 10 minutes, took it out, topped it with nothing but sauce and cheese, and then put it back in until the cheese was almost burnt–about 12 more minutes. Although this time the pizza did release, the bottom was completely UN-browned. It almost looked, and tasted, uncooked. And the crust was so limp and soft that it was very difficult to get out of the baking pan and onto my cutting pan.

So…I’m at a loss :( I’m going to continue trying, as I loved the taste of the second one I made (the one where I finished it on the pizza stone). But I’ve given a lot of thought now as to why my pizza isn’t behaving like the one shown in the blog, and I just can’t think of anything (I’m a fairly experienced pizzamaker, as I’ve studied the craft for years).

Dave, I think your best bet at this point is to call our hotline and ask to speak to Amy. She’s the one most likely to be able to help you with this. Like you, I’m at a loss; without being in your kitchen, it’s really difficult to try to assess what might be going on, and why your results are different than what I’d expect. I’ve made this pizza, followed this recipe, a number of times; it works well for me. The only wild card might be the pan… I use dark anodized aluminum. Could that be the difference? Just don’t know… But call our hotline: 855-371-2253. I hope, together, you can figure this out. PJH

45. Dave

Ah. Well, the dark anodized aluminum would definitely explain it :) That’s a much better pan for crisping than the regular silver aluminum pan that I have. Thanks for passing that info along, that was the missing piece of the explanation!

That could very well be, Dave… Thanks so much for your patience as we’ve worked through this together! PJH

46. Melody

What type of pan are you using to cook, and could this recipe be done using the Emile Henry pizza stone… if so, how would you modify it?
    Hi Melody,
    Here is the pizza pan used in the blog. I think you could use the Emile stone, but you may want to try spreading the dough out on parchment and putting the parchment on the stone. GF doughs are notorious stickers, so that it something to be aware of. Let us know how it goes. ~ MJ

47. Monica

Parchment is a gluten free baker’s best friend.

I do the parbake on parchment. Next I brush the crust with olive oil and coat liberally with garlic salt. I then top it and put it back in directly on the rack.

These are the ONLY changes I made as this recipe is perfection. This is coming from someone who made gluten crusts for 15 years prior to my diagnosis.

48. Rebecca Lovell

I just made this for the first time – thank you SO MUCH!! I was afraid that after realizing that I’m gluten-sensitive, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy pizza anymore. Before this realization, I had just pretty much perfected my pizza crusts, which the rest of my family can still enjoy. I’m wondering, it would probably be okay to put additives in this, right? Like some oregano and dried cheese powder?

49. Sue

Hello. This looks amazing. Do you know if I can use guar gum instead of xantham gum?Our gluten free guru Amy says yes. However, guar gum has a distinctive flavor. I know use use the same amount. Betsy@KAF

We haven’t yet experimented with freezing this dough. You might be more successful parbaking and then freezing your crust.~Jaydl@KAF

50. Samantha

I received the Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker as a Christmas gift. While no one in my household is gluten-free, I ordered the KA Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour Mix for the sole reason of trying it with my new pizza maker. Because I love pizza so much but am attempting to eat wiser, I was hoping to find an easy home-made alternative to traditional pizza dough.

This dough, by far, exceeded my expectations. The pizza this recipe/product produced was outstanding! It was thin and crispy and delicious. I know it was good because my husband ate several pieces after he had already eaten a pizza made with the KA Pizza Crust recipe.

For any others out there who have the Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker, I followed the recipe exactly through the initial rest. After the initial rest, I made two pizzas rather than one. Using two sheets of parchment paper topped with 1 tablespoon of olive oil each, I placed ½ of the dough on each of the two sheets and worked, with wet finger tips, to approximately 10 inches in diameter. I pre-baked the pizzas in the pizza maker on the parchment paper for about 7 minutes. After removing and topping, I placed them back in the maker (still on the parchment paper) for about 3 minutes, then pulled the parchment out and let them cook directly in the machine (on the pizza stone) until the crust was browned and crisp and the toppings were hot and bubbly. I had no issues with sticking.

I cannot say enough how easy this is to make and what delicious pizza it produces and while my family is not gluten-free by necessity; our home-made pizza dough will be gluten-free by choice! Thank you for a great product and recipe!

51. Sheila

Would love to try this recipe. I have the King Arthur gluten free all purpose flour. Could you just omit the xantham gum or is it essential?

Hi Sheila, the xanthan gum helps bind the dough together. I fear a dough without it might not hold together.~Jaydl@KAF

52. Sheila

I made the crust last night with Xantham gum – It was good, but my crust was a gummy in some places and crispy in others. It did not rise much. I think my mistake may have been using Red Star Active yeast, rather than instant? My yeast mixture did not get bubbly, so I let the dough mixture rest longer (1 hour). Is that my problem? Must I use instant yeast, or how do I modify using regular active yeast? Thanks!

1. Amy Trage

I don’t think the extra length of time was the issue, to be honest. It is fine to use the active dry yeast instead of instant, but it can take a little longer to activate. ~Amy

2. Sheila

OK – it could be my water was too hot and I killed the yeast – will try again with warm water. If I double or triple recipe is this OK (need to make 3 pizzas), do I need to modify anything? Thanks much!

Sorry about that, Sheila. Go ahead and double/triple, and just follow the directions as you’ve been doing. That should work out fine. Enjoy – PJH