Happy birthday to US! America and King Arthur celebrate.

Happy birthday to us,
Happy birthday to us,
Happy 220th birthday King Arthur…
Happy birthday to
US!

That’s U.S., as in in United States of America, celebrating its 234th birthday this coming weekend. Though America is 14 years older than King Arthur, we feel like we’ve grown up together. Through decades of prosperity and harmony, interspersed with wars and economic downturns, the United States – and King Arthur – have both endured. And flourished.

Talk about the American dream – King Arthur has been living it for more than two centuries.

Our small company was established in Boston in 1790, the same year George Washington became President. We originally imported flour from England, as there simply wasn’t enough good wheat grown in the New World to provide American bakers with what they wanted: high-quality flour.

After about 100 years, King Arthur was able to source American wheat. But not just any American wheat; sticking to company standards established right at the start, King Arthur bought and milled only the best American wheat.

Which we continue to do to this day.

We use tons of flour (literally) blending our mixes here at our manufacturing facility in Vermont. Here are Martha and Barb, two of the members of our manufacturing team, with a newly arrived load of “the King.”

So, what does all of this history have to do with the cinnamon-topped muffin you see at the top of this blogpost?

Quality, and simplicity.

This “plain vanilla” Doughnut Muffin (a.k.a. French Puff) is wonderfully tasty, yet simple as simple can be. The recipe has endured in American kitchens for decades.

Just like King Arthur Flour.

Are you ready to bake with America’s oldest flour company? C’mon into our kitchen, and let’s make a tasty batch of Doughnut Muffins, perfect for your July 4th breakfast.

Cinnamon-Sugar Plus – one of my favorite ingredients. A simple mixture of superfine sugar and Vietnamese cinnamon, it’s fine as the sand in an hourglass. It’s a lovely, smooth, non-gritty topping for muffins or scones, cake or pie; and melts instantly on your buttered toast.

And on top of your butter-dipped muffins.

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Lightly grease a standard-size muffin pan. Or line with 12 paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups with non-stick vegetable oil spray; this will ensure that they peel off the muffins nicely.

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar

Beat till smooth.

Add 2 large eggs; beat to combine.

Add the following:

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Notice how I add each ingredient in its own separate space. That way, I can easily look into the bowl and immediately see if I’ve failed to add anything.

Beat till smooth – look how creamy this is getting. Part of it is the baking powder, starting to aerate the batter.

Next, you’re going to add 2 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour; and 1 cup milk.

If you add the flour alternately with the milk (beginning and ending with the flour), the batter will retain more air.

Mixing at medium-low speed, add about 1/3 of the flour, half the milk, another 1/3 of the flour, the remaining milk, then the rest of the flour.

Here’s your finished batter: fairly thick, and silky-smooth.

Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan; a muffin scoop works well here.

Fill the cups about 3/4 full.

Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes.

The muffins will start to rise quite vigorously – within about 5 minutes of putting them into the oven.

Bake until the muffins are a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.

Nice peaks, eh? I let these get a bit too brown; they should really be a pale golden brown, rather than this deeper color.

Remove the muffins from the oven, and tilt them in the pan (to avoid steaming their bottoms). A fork is helpful here.

Let the muffins cool for a couple of minutes, or until you can handle them. While they’re cooling, melt 3 tablespoons butter for the topping (this is easily done in the microwave). Put 3 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar in a bowl.

Use a pastry brush to paint the top of each muffin with the butter. Or simply dip the tops of muffins into the melted butter, as I’m doing here.

Dip/roll in the cinnamon sugar.

Be generous.

Serve warm. Or cool on a rack, and wrap airtight.

Nice shape, eh?

Plain as it seems these muffins would be (considering their ingredients), the hint of nutmeg – plus the butter/cinnamon topping – simply shout DOUGHNUT.

Hey, no harm gilding the lily. Butter is always welcome! I’m thinking apricot jam, too.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Doughnut Muffins.

A number of you have noted in the comments section below that you’ve made this recipe into mini muffins, a.k.a. doughnut holes. And I can testify – they’re wonderful!

Spoon the batter into greased mini-muffin cups, and reduce the baking time to 10 minutes. Roll each muffin entirely in butter and cinnamon-sugar to coat. You’ll make about 40 muffins, depending on the size of the wells in your pan; our mini muffin pan made 40 muffins.

Finally – want to make “real” doughnuts?

Spoon the batter into our lightly greased doughnut pan, filling the wells to about 1/4” shy of the rim; bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 10 minutes; remove from the oven, and shake warm doughnuts in a bag of cinnamon-sugar (no dipping in  butter necessary). The recipe makes 12 to 14 doughnuts, depending on how full you fill the wells in the pan, so you’ll have to bake in at least two batches (unless you have two pans).

Baked, not fried? Simply scrumptious.

comments

1. Baking is my Zen

I love muffins and donuts. Conclusion: I will LOVE these. I just know. Can’t wait to make them. Your tutuorials are phenomenal!

May KAF have many, many more birthdays!

Carmen

2. Nancy

These just made my holiday weekend baking list!! My husband suggested a honey-dip type topping for some of them — I’ll have to try it!

3. Andrea

These look DELISH! Happy Birthday, King Arthur! The world is a better place because you exist. Can’t wait to make these…can you tell me what size of scoop you use for your muffins? I have a few different scoops and have yet to determine which works best. :) Thanks!

1. Laurinda

A #20 disher or scoop sold at stores which sell a variety of professional type equipment is perfect for scooping muffins into tins. Alton Brown recommended this on a show and I found it to be perfect. Since some tins are a little larger than other, you can heap slightly if you need more to achieve the size you want. A # 18 scoop works for most mini tins. Again, sizes vary slightly so use a scant scoop if your tins run small. The #20 is great for large cookies and the #18 is great for average size cookies. It’s always great for tools to multitask. You can also make ice cream balls with the scoops.

4. Teresa

Whoa! I’ve seen something like this on TV, but have never tried it. Does it really taste like a doughnut? with a texture that is light and fluffy? Hmm, might have to try this out. Thanks!

Yep, they really do taste like cake doughnuts. Frank @ KAF.

5. Rebecca

Happy birthday KAF (and US too)! These muffins sound like a great way to get that fantastic doughnut flavor without the doughnut fat! I bet these would be really good as filled jelly “doughnuts.” Perhaps I’ll play with the recipe and attempt a “chocolate cake doughnut muffin.” (Ha, ha that’s a mouthful. No pun intended.) And of course top it off with the best…Vietnamese cinnamon!!!! :D
    Thanks!
    Now that is worth blogging about, Rebecca! Elisabeth @ KAF

6. Wei-Wei

Wow wow wow! Congratulations to King Arthur for getting to be SO old! It proves that you guys must be doing something right. These doughnuts look absolutely amazing. :)

Wei-Wei

7. Mags

I’m partial to muffins with domed tops and geeze, I’m just a muffin freak period. This looks like a fabulous recipe to try. I’ve never tried one of yours that I didn’t like, so I’ll be diving into this one face-first with nary a worry.

Happy 220th anniversary King Arthur! (Hubby and I will be celebrating that one shortly… or maybe it just seems that way…lol)

8. Allie

Wow. Those look fabulous. Of course I’ll have to try them in my doughnut pan…
    Let is know how it goes in the doughnut pan, Allie. Elisabeth @ KAF

9. Rosa

Wow, this is a milestone. Happy Birthday and long live to KAF! I would love to find your produce on the old continent…

Those muffins look fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa
    Maybe some day, Rosa! Elisabeth @ KAF

10. Shirley

Very warm post. We all feel like we are a part of KA family and proud to be so especially at this great holiday. The 4th is also my son’s BD. Of course, as a child, he thought the parades and celebrations were for him. Thanks from a loyal fan. Oh, PS I will make the muffins for the 4th, simple and delicious.
    Muffins with candles for your 4th of July baby! Happy 4th and Happy Birthday to your son! Elisabeth @ KAF

11. Jeri Hurd

THAT explains it! I have always wondered about the alternating wet/dry ingredients thing, and whether it really made a difference. Now I know!

But it raises a question: I’m moving to Mongolia for a few years–elevation about 4,300 feet. I know that makes a difference when baking, less air pressure, faster rising, etc. In something like this, you would want to incorporate less air, then, so would you not do the alternating ingredients? Or just add less leavening? Both?

grin–I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but I’m also taking the KA starter with me, so it’s going international! I’m so grateful you guys are online–I don’t have to cart along a ton of cookbooks!

Altitude adjustments aren’t that complicated. We have a lot of the adjustments already worked out: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes2008/high-altitude-baking.html Just experiment, keep good notes, and have fun! Bon Voyage. Frank @ KAF.

1. Barb White

I live here at 4300 feet and don’t need to make any changes for the altitude. BUT we are close to the mountains and it is DRY most often here so, some times my recipes are unpredictable because of the lack of humidity in the flour. Baked goods also don’t last as long as advertised but that’s ok most often the KAF recipes disappear quickly anyway.
      We lived in Saudia Arabia and sometimes the flour came with added “protein” …a problem in hot countries with a different infrastructure than we are used to. We used to put the flour in the freezer for a few days and then sift out the extra “protein”
      Happy travels!!

12. Lish

These are so yummy! And since I am doing weight watchers again, they are a much more point friendly treat than the doughnut. And they really do taste like my favorite doughnuts. I often make them in mini muffin tins and my kids will eat lots of them. Thanks for reminding me of this recipe. We are having people over to help us put in a new kitchen floor so I think I will make these to have before we start. Good treat for all the nice friends coming to help.

13. SMJ

Happy Birthday King Arthur Flour! I will bake these soon. So simple, yet so elegant. I think they will be a hit with my co-workers, who are the ones that get to eat what I bake. I am preety popular at work since I started baking from your recipes earlier this year!

14. Erin in PA

My daughter and I love making these muffins – the dipping part is perfect for a 4 year old helper! The texture of the muffins is also wonderful. Thanks for the small history lesson, and the peeks into how your flour ends up in my kitchen – I can’t wait to come up to King Arthur sometime and see the actual facility!

15. Beth @ 990 Square

Happy Birthday KAF! I just converted one of my friends over to only using KA flour and now she agrees that it’s just the best flour out there. Here’s to another 200 years!

And these muffins just made my fourth of july cooking list. We have a coffee shop near our house that makes something similar, except they call them danger muffins. dangerous indeed!

16. rocio

congratulation¡¡¡ and thanks ¡¡¡¡ 220 years more
    My housband and I send you XOXO from Cancun, Mexico

17. Sharon

Happy Birthday, King Arthur Flour. I have used your products and cookbooks for years. Love receiving your catalogs, too. I have never had a bad baking result using KAF products and recipes! Plan to try these muffins this weekend. Again, congratulations on turning 220! Happy Birthday to the US, too. KAF and the US make an unbeatable pair.
    Sharon – Thank you for being such a long time loyal customer. We love to hear from each and every one of our baking friends. Sharing baking experiences is so valuable! Elisabeth @ KAF

18. Susan

Happy birthday, KAF, and may you have many more years! After all, who else is going to inspire today’s youngsters to bake? And thanks, for another wonderful recipe to mix up and bake! I’m looking forward to trying delicious looking muffins!

19. Denise in Kent, WA

Happy Birthday, KAF!

Despite my love of baking in general, I have an irrational dislike for making muffins. Too messy? Washing the muffin pan too much of a bother? In any case, I will definitely be trying this recipe – these muffins look WAY too yummy to pass up. :)

20. Cyn

I love the way those muffins look, and am ready to try out the recipe! BTW, one of the best hints I ever read on the blog was to use non-stick cooking spray in muffin or mini-muffin cup liners. I hate peeling off the liners only to lose a good 1/3 of the muffin or cupcake!

I have a couple of mini Bundt pans (6 mini Bundts each) and am tempted to try this recipe in them. I think I’d get the doughnut thing going on, with the cute little Bundt shape.

Happy anniversary and July 4, KAF!

21. Audrey

Happy Birthday!!! I’ve been making French Puffs for years and now I’ll have to try your recipe! Thank you for all of your hard work!!! :)

22. Sarah

Oh, yum! These look like a perfect thing to make this weekend. My son loves doughnuts but seems to have an aversion to nutmeg (Eggnog muffins didn’t go over well). How could I flavor them instead of nutmeg? Don’t doughnuts often have some cardamom? How much would you use? It seems like as much as the nutmeg might be too much.

Yes, cardamon is potent. In this recipe I think a good place to begin would be with 1/4 teaspoon to replace the nutmeg. Frank @ KAF.

23. Kyle Minor

Happy Birthday KAF… and thank you for sharing this recipe, PJ! There is a cafe and dessert shop here in San Francisco that makes these beauties and calls them “Dirt Bombs.” Can’t say why, but the simple, perfect taste belies their strange nomenclature.

I have often thought that the struessel-topped coffee cake recipein my beloved copy of The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion would make great muffins, but no need to adapt a recipe now! Can’t wait for the weekend…

24. Wendy

Happy happy and Congratulations on such a milestone!

I have a question on the ingredients. Why does the recipe call for both butter and vegetable oil? Is there a specific reason, or can you substitute all of either one for the other?

Thanks so much!

Wendy, I’d say butter adds flavor; oil adds more liquid fat, which tends to keep muffins softer. You could certainly do all of one or all of the other, but I like the combination. Up to you – baker’s choice! :) PJH

25. Ann Adrignola

These donut cupcakes look wonderful…next on my list and also going to try them in my donut pans…by the way thank you for giving us a Font selection…..this is a wonderful company and John Barrecelli is a favorite baker of mine and he gives so much credit to Mr Hammelman…just bought his great book..,83 year old Gramma that loves to bake….thank you

26. Janet

Happy Birthday KAF. Love your website, blog and products. In your honor, I will use my Zoj and KA flour to make a loaf of bread. Since it’s 110 right now in my area of AZ — the Zoj is going to do it all!! Will try this recipe later.

27. Paul M.

Just made these today and they were wonderful. Easy to make, and delicious to eat. I made them in the mini-muffin pan, so each one is bite size. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
    Glad to hear you had success with the mini version, Paul! Elisabeth @ KAF

28. Sue

I’ve been baking a version of these for years. They are a favorite of my son.
    If you bake them as mini muffins you can dip the whole thing in butter and then roll in the cinnamon sugar. They seem especially good that way. :-)
    I have a question regarding the no stick spray you use. Does it build up on your bakeware over time?
    I personally could not live without our Everbake spray. It is a big can and will last 6 months or more and I bake a lot! I find very little to no build up. Elisabeth @ KAF

29. Linde

Can’t wait to try these!! I saw the same “doughnut muffin” on a FoodNetwork show. They were a chef favorite from a bakery in California – they actually dipped/brushed butter on the whole muffin and then rolled the muffin in the cinnamon sugar. They looked awesom and so do yours. To think I was looking for “sour salt” online and found KAF! Soooo glad I did!! Happy B-Day and many more.

30. Jill

Happy Birthday King Arthur! May you (and all of us!) look forward to many more!

We make a version of this muffin except we use allspice in addition to the nutmeg. I also add a little whole wheat flour so I can pretend I’m feeding my kids healthy snacks. We call these “Sparkly Muffins” because when my oldest was much younger she thought the cinnamon-sugar topping made the muffins “sparkle!” So, Sparkly Muffins they remain.

I also appreciate the tip about alternating wet/dry. Mine never peak as much as yours did so I’ll have to try it.

31. Cheryl

I just made these and they are fabulous! Plain donuts are my absolute favorite, and these are addictive. Thanks for a great recipe!

Definitely one of my faves, Cheryl – glad you enjoyed them. PJH

32. Brenda

Hippo Birdy two ewes, Hippo Birdy two ewes. Hippo Birdy deer King Arthur! Hippo Birdy two ewes.

Brenda, I have no clever rejoinder – just THANK YOU. :) PJH

33. Carolyn

I think a batch of these as mini-muffins will be perfect for all the folks at the local US Census Office to kick off the holiday weekend. My manager told me the other day that after hearing me and another employee (one time restaurant chef) talk about KA flour she finally bought some. Another co-worker has a flock of hens and we’re all buying her eggs so we’re really using the BEST ingredients. So Happy Anniversary to KAF and Happy Birthday US!!! Here’s to many, many more!

Hey, thanks for talking up KAF, Carolyn – we appreciate it! And hope the Census Office folks enjoy those cinnamon-y little mini-muffins… PJH

34. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZil

I´m interested in what Americans bake at 4th July.
    These French Muffins are emblematic and represents part of America´s baker influences that comed from French bakeries!
    I love the American history and culture, and it´s similar to Brazilian bakers history. French influences were great in all our baker´s history. In case of Brazil, French bakers come and bring us the first white wheat flour bags with D. João V, King of Brazil, who took some French bakers in his travel to our country when he transfered the Portuguese Court to Brazil late 1808. That French bakers introduced technics and culture of good breads among us. Nowadays in Brazil the most consumed breads is far the French Bread we call here ´Pãozinho Francês `!!!
    Until that time, Brazilians only knew manioc or corn flour breads, same as North-americans who only had at around 1700, corn breads, made by indigens with corn flour. Those breads were shaggy, dried, with not good structure, because the glúten was not present on that meals!
    So, the influences of French bakery at our both countries was enormous and of great importance!!
    I love the history of both our countries, so, i wish all of the best to all American citizens at 4th July.
    I know the importance of American skills and the value of U.S. bakery to me and all the world at this time of our lives!
    My best wishes to KAF´s staff and all involved in the company progress.
    It´s my sincere words!

Ricardo, thanks so much for that short history – I had no idea of the French culinary influence in Brazil. You’re right, so similar to this country. Thanks for connecting here, as always – does your country have a specific birthday date, too? PJH

35. Anne W.

Happy Birthday, King Arthur! I love your products, your recipes, your catalog, and your loyal subjects–sorry, I mean owners–who write this blog. Thanks for everything; you make my life happier, whether I’m baking, reading, or wish-listing!

And Anne – you an so many others make King Arthur what we are. It’s the connections we value – the connections that foster baking, and sharing, and carrying on this wonderful cultural tradition we all love. Cheers! PJH

36. KimberlyD

Thank YOU, thank you for this recipe! I’ve heard of these and seen them on the food channel, and since I use to make donuts (“got to get up and make the donuts) I think I will like these. I bet a glaze would be good on them and spinkles….oh ok thats the donut maker in me….lol!

Happy Birthday to KAF! I so want to take a road trip east!!! LOL!
    While on the topic of glazes, how about a chocolate glaze made by adding cocoa powder to this Vanilla Glaze from our Guaranteed Cinnamon Roll recipe? Elisabeth @ KAF

37. Lee

Can you do one like the molasses cake donuts you find in Maine?
    We haven’t tried it yet, but we’ll add it to the list. Let us know if you try a version like that before we do. ~ MaryJane

38. Eliza

Dear KAF!

Happy Birthday! Employee owned companies rule!

When i make muffins i usually put a chocolate square in the middle of each cup. Could i put some jam in these muffins [as in layer of dough, tsp of jam, layer of dough on top] or will the area around the jam stay raw? With chocolate there is no rawness, usually. Thanks and LA MULTI ANI!
    Now that is worth a try for sure. Will this work PJ? Elisabeth @ KAF

39. Eliza

Dear KAF!

Hi Eliza,
    I bet a dollop of jam would work just fine in these muffins. You might want to try baking the muffins for about 5-8 minutes then adding the jam, pushing it down into the batter, then finishing the bake. ~ MaryJane

40. Dulce

Happy Birthday to all of you. Thanks for all those delicious recipes, I have make some of them. Keep working hard for all of us, LOL.
    I love donuts so I´ll sure love this one. They look not only yummy but it shape sure looks nice.
    Congratulations from Venezuela.

41. Colleen

My mom used to make these and it’s been a while since I’ve made them myself. It’s going to be a long day until I can get into my kitchen to make myself a batch!

42. Cristina Potmesil

I know I have made these before and the recipe is on the back cover of a Baking Sheet issue. It would be from more than 10 years ago because I was living in Wyoming at the time. I will have a nice time looking back through all of my issues (from 1992) to locate it. :-) I have your doughnut pan and I’m thinking this recipe should be appropriate for the pan, yes or no?

Should work in the pan, Cristina – good idea! Let us know if it does indeed work out. And yes, this was a BS recipe long ago… PJH

43. Cristina Potmesil

YES! The Jan./Feb. 1993 Baking Sheet was all about doughnuts and the Doughnut Cupcake recipe is on the back page.

44. RobynB

Has anyone tried making these with your White Whole Wheat flour? I’m trying really hard to stick to WW flour in almost everything. It probably won’t be as tender, but…? Anyone tried it?
    Feel free to jump in ya’all! ~ MJR

45. Maggie

This is for Jeri about baking at higher altitude. I live in Salt Lake City, elevation 4500ft. Many recipes need alterations to work at our altitude. The one change that improves my baking the most consistently is reducing the sugar 2 Tbs per cup. Tweaking the amount of flour (increasing 1 Tbs/cup) and decreasing the leavening slightly can also help, but reducing the sugar makes a huge difference even on its own. Being a scientist I’ll often follow a recipe as written the first time, but if it didn’t rise well, was too crumbly, or the cookies spread too much, then reducing the sugar is the first thing I try. Oh, and as recommended by the KAF bakers, keep good notes so you can reproduce your successes!
    And Happy Birthday KAF! Love your products and your website! Thanks for making this such a great community!

46. Willi Reinhart

PJ,

This may be a little off topic but I have a question about quick breads. I have trouble sometimes telling when they are done with the toothpick method. I was wondering if you can use 190 degrees as a general rule of thumb as a better guide. I use my instant read thermometer on all my yeast beards and it would be great if I could do the same for my quick breads.

I’d appreciate your professional opinion. Thanks,

Willi

Willi, I started to test this, but never finished. As I recall, the quick breads were a bit higher – maybe 195°F to 200°F. This would be a great thing to nail down sometime, wouldn’t it? I’ll have to put it on my to-do list! Thanks for the reminder – PJH

47. Erie

Happy Birthday! I never knew that KA was almost the same age as the USA. I understand the tipping of the muffin to prevent steaming the bottom. How does that work when you use paper muffins cups, taking them from a hot muffin seems akward to me but leaving them on gives the steaming problem. What do you recommend?

Happy 4th of July!

Erie, I think the steaming is less if you tip them, paper cups or not…A lot of the heat will blast right through that paper. Do you seem to have trouble with soggy or leathery muffin bottoms when you use paper cups? PJH

48. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

Ok, PJ thanks.
    Of course here we have our Independence Day at Sept. 7th.
    I know about a music concert, that Blues Traveler band play at Red Rocks Amphiteatre at Morrison CO in honor of that day!! How i wish to be there, because after the breads, Southern Blues Music is my passion!!!

49. Sandy

Good thing you can’t actually hear me singing Happy Birthday to you KAF! That would clear the board for sure!! I know what I am making this weekend! They look wonderful. I am a purist..love those good plain cake dougnuts and this looks like it will taste just like a cake doughnut in muffin form..can it get any better than that?? And Happy Birthday to this great big wonderful USA!!!!

50. Tonia

Oooo! I see these as mini-muffins that are immersed completely in melted butter and then rolled in cinnamon/sugar so can just pop in your mouth like a doughnut hole!! Mmmm. . .yum!

51. Mona

These were fabulous!!! They do taste just like donuts….. Mmmmmm!!

@Tonia….. I was JUST thinking the same thing. Next time I make them I will try the mini muffins. They will be the perfect size : )

Mini muffins, a.k.a. doughnut holes! You rock, ladies – PJH

52. Charice

YUM! In response to whether you can use white whole wheat flour–I substituted 2 cups for the AP (adding 1 Tb liquid for the whole grain) and they turned out great! I have a convection oven (a great boon at 6700 feet!) which really helps my whole grains rise to the occasion :) As for high altitude baking, I decreased my leavening 1/4 tsp, and the sugar about 1 Tb.

Ricardo–I plan to see that concert at Red Rocks. We’ll be sure to toast your nation’s Independence!

53. Olivia

OMG! I made these in my mini-muffin pan. Wow, they really do taste like doughnuts.

The recipe is really fast and easy. What is amazing is the texture. I am guessing it is the combination of the oil and the butter that create the cakey doughnut mouth feel.

Congrats to you for another fab recipe.

54. CM

The doughnut muffins were fabulous. I added some KAF doughnut flavor powder (Do you still sell that?..haven’t seen it lately in the catalog.)
    Request: Please find us doughnut shop style “jelly” to turn these into Jelly Doughnuts!
    Tried rasperry jam, but if you could bring us the *authentic* jelly dougnut filling…that would be awesome! Love all of the recipes…thank you.

55. Kara

Do you think fiori de sicilia would work with these? Not sure if it would or not. Can’t wait to make these!

Sure – instead of cinnamon-sugar, though, I’d use some vanilla sugar and butter on top, or citrus sugar – just mix sugar with a few drops of orange or lemon oil; or with some vanilla. Put in a jar and shake-shake-shake to make scented sugar… PJH

56. becky at MyKidsMake

Just made these, they just came out of the oven and we are eating them at this moment. My 4yr old just said, “Man these are DELICIOUS!”. My thoughts exactly.

Ah, a happy 4-year-old… nothing better, Becky. Thanks for sharing! PJH

57. Nancy Paine

Hi fellow bakers and King Arthur Flour lovers!
    1999-my first visit to Cape Cod, with our young family. On our way to the airport after a lovely week, my husband pulled over at a bakery for me to run in and grab us 2 coffees to go- and I saw these divine-looking baked goods- had to chose something quick! I chose “French Puffs”, and they were sooooo delectable! At home I fondly recalled these as I stumbled upon a recipe for them in my beloved “Country Inns and Bed & Breakfasts” cookbook! Baked them, and ahhh- heaven on earth! The beautiful Cape came back to me, also, and the memories we made there as a family. Don’t you love how foods can evoke memories of special times? We revisted the Cape and New England 20 years later- last Autumn, 2009, which was a dream of mine, to see the leaves in full glory! I also wanted to get up to Norwich to visit the home of KAF, but we ran out of time. Sounds like another trip will be in order!
    Happy Birthday KAF and thanks for enriching my life! Nancy in AZ

Wonderful story, Nancy; thanks for sharing. I go to the Cape every chance I get, and am always on the lookout for small bakeries with old-fashioned treats. There’s a place that sells nothing but pies, I think it’s on the way to Falmouth… Anyway, next time hope you’re able to come up and visit – we’re just 2 easy hours from Boston, all highway. Cheers! PJH

58. Lilly

These were a hit with my family! I substituted Ener-G egg replacer for the eggs and Smart Balance margarine to make them vegan, decreased the sugar slightly, and replaced 1 cup of the flour with whole-wheat pastry flour. Instead of the cinnamon topping, I let them cool and then rolled in confectionery sugar. They looked just like little white doughnut holes–and went just as fast!

WOW, Lilly, how wonderful – that you were able to make all those changes and come up with something you all enjoyed. Guess this speaks to the fact that this is a really good basic recipe – and you really know what you’re doing with subbing ingredients! :) PJH

59. Sara

These are fabulous. I’ve made them twice this week: once for company, when my husband was at work at didn’t get to try them, so then again two days later to make up for it. We are muffin fiends in this house (my three year old doesn’t believe it’s morning until there are muffins to eat), and although these aren’t the healthiest version I make, they are an outstanding treat. They actually satisfied everyone, my doesn’t like it plain four year old, my only wants it plain three year old, my eats everything spicy twenty month old, and my husband, who eats without complaint, God bless him. Oh yes, and I loved them, too. :)

Sara – miracles do happen! Sounds like you’ve got quite a challenge getting everyone to give the thumbs-up at the same time, eh? PJH

60. Annie

Okay now, these are mind blowing delicious!! I was up a t 5:00 a.m. this morning pondering what to make for our holiday weekend guests. They are still asleep and I’ve polished off two with my morning cup of coffee. Lord, help me! I’ve always been the one to grab the old fashioned doughnuts if given a choice at a doughnut shop and these are a wonderful beyond all my expectations. They are sitting in a tartan plaid napkin clad basket waiting for the first sleepyhead to arise. So pretty and tempting. Thank you once again for a stellar recipe.

I’m with you, Annie. I was craving one this morning when my brother-in-law plopped a box of kinda-stale supermarket doughnuts on the table… Enjoy! PJH

61. Sue Francus

Yum! My family LOVED these muffins when I made them yesterday for the first time. Reminds me of the cider mill doughnuts we used to get when I was little. So good. So easy. And sooooo much less expensive than a trip to the doughnut shop (last trip at local place was >$7.50/doz). Thanks for the memories and a great addition to my recipe repertiore. :)

62. Janet T

Made it; ate it. Even non-sweet eating hubby liked them. Will definitely make again. And it has a great aroma when baking. I can imagine having these baking when your expecting guests. What a way to say welcome!

63. Jane

I made these for the office just last week and now look at this blog entry! I used a mini-muffin pan instead (people are much more likely to take treats if they’re small, I found) and they flew off the plates!

Today is my birthday…24 now, going on 100, it seems. King Arthur has always been one of my favorite brands and posts like these make me proud that it’s not just delicious, it’s amazingly patriotic as well and represents some of the best things about America. Happy birthday to all of us!

Jane, Jane… going on 100? Hope you don’t feel THAT old! My prescription for a long, happy life: be positive, help other people, and share everything you bake. :) PJH

64. Shirley

I had to share this recipe with a friend who always raves about “doughnut muffins” at this bakery in Roslindale, MA! These look every bit as good.

Thanks for sharing, Shirley- that’s what it’s all about. PJH

65. Maria

I made these yesterday and they are great! They have a moist and airy consistency and with the cinnamon-sugar taste like a cross between a doughnut and coffee cake. I made two batches and added mini chocolate chips to one. The chocolate pairs nicely with the cinnamon-sugar and the kids devoured them immediately. This recipe is a hit. Thanks.

Happy Birthday King Arthur!

66. Judi

I made half the recipe just to try it out, WHAT WAS I THINKING? These are wonderful and now I have to bake more!

Happy Birthday, King Arthur!

67. Sandy

Finally made these today. Wow…so glad I did!!! They are wonderful and so quick and easy to make. Am sending them to work w/hubby tomorrow. Of course I had a couple just to make sure they turned out!

68. Patty

FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS KAF! and thanks for all your awesome recipes and tips! You know, reading your blog and watching the photos is like being in a cooking class with a very nice and kind teacher. How I wish you have a shop here in Mexico City!. Best regards to all you.

69. Dave

By chance I made the same recipe on the Fourth of July without looking at my e-mail. I have used this recipe many times for its simplicity and the fantastic taste. Cardamom is nice instead of nutmeg if you want a slightly different flavor. This time, I used the original recipe but added a cup of the KAF cinnamon chips. My family loved the muffins. Thanks as always for your tremendous ingredients, website and cookbooks. The helpline is awesome!!

Glad we can help, Dave; thenaks for the cardamom suggestion. I just made these as mini muffins this afternoon, for a brunch Sunday. Oh, my…. as they say in Maine, SOME good! PJH

70. Elizabeth

I finally tried this “donut Muffins”. Donuts not fried ?!? Tye are so wonderful I shred some with friends. They puffed like donuts, taste like donut but like a yummy muffins you have never tasted ! Result? made everyone smile ……………. Thank you for the wonderful recipe, King Arther. Elizabeth

71. Judy

These are simply superb. I tried some Vermont Maple Sugar as part of the cinnamon sugar topping and added some of the sparkly white sugar as well. They are simply phenomenal ! My firefighters and dog groomers are gonna be really happy with these.

72. Cyn

Back to report! I did make these today in my mini-Bundt pans. They really did look like crullers — very cute! I must confess, though, that I wasn’t overwhelmed by the taste. I thought they were bland and had very little taste, even rolled in the butter and cinnamon sugar. I followed everything correctly and used KAF flour. Perhaps I was expecting something different; boyfriend adored them and gobbled them up, so that is a good thing! I think I’ll stay, though, with a tried and true recipe for coffee cake and bake that in the mini-Bundt pans. Sorry, and this is one of the very few KA recipes I did not like. So, not too bad a record!

Thanks for reporting in, Cyn – it’s funny, some people just don’t like them that much… my mom included. But I made them as mini muffins for my brothers-in-law today, and all three said they were THE BEST muffins they’d ever tasted in their lives. Go figure, huh? :) PJH

73. Shan

I made these this weekend for Sunday dinner dessert. I actually had 3 doughnut pans. I got 12 mini doughnuts, 6 full sized doughnuts, and 6 muffin tops. My mom really flipped over them! I loved the rising–that’s why I thought to make them in the doughnut pans. The minis were done in about 5 minutes…mixing them took longer. Easy peasy recipe.

74. Jean

I just made these today and they are just yummy! I used a mini muffin pan and injected seedless raspberry jam. I will definately be makng these again and again!

75. Lee

I just made these today, too, and got rave reviews from everyone who ate them! I subbed 1 cup of freshly milled whole wheat pastry flour for one of the cups of white flour. The 1+ tsp of nutmeg really shines in these and they taste exactly like the best cake doughnuts! I took them to church for the little cafe’ and everyone really enjoyed them.

76. Eliza

Hi everyone! I’m just checking back with results of the jam filled doughnut muffins. Many thanks to Elizabeth and MaryJane!
    I followed your exact instructions and they turned out great! The shiny dollop of jam in the center was so cute. And i rolled the edges in the cinnamon sugar, so the top of the muffin looked like a round doughnut with jelly in the middle! those grainy/shiny textures were so intriguing, i swear i wanted to rub them all over my face! but maybe that’s just me :p Thanks again KAF!

77. Kerry Joy Dean

I visited my daughter and she made these muffins and they were fabulous! I have a cake doughnut recipe I love and everyone who ate them did too. But I gave up making them because the frying is so unhealthy. But these taste just like them! I am thrilled to have a recipe to take their place! Thank you.

Glad you find these muffins as wonderful as we do, Kerry. I love to make them into mini muffins and roll them entirely in cinnamon-sugar – JUST like doughnut holes! PJH

78. Dwight

These were simple and delicious. My batter seemed a little thinner than the pictures, but no matter, they still rose to the roof. I probably overbrowned also, but they were still fine.

Had enough batter for 3 extra muffins(smaller pans?) and made sure not to cook the tops past the blonde stage.
    These last three were absolutely perfect in every way.

Can’t stop eatin’um.

I love love LOVE these, Dwight – I bring them anytime I visit someone where breakfast/brunch will be involved… Glad you feel the same! PJH

79. roxanagrc

I am new at baking and I love everyones reviews. I wish my muffins would come out like everyones else, but no my muffins were stiff and hard. The only change I made was the oil I used saffola oil instead of vegetable oil. Did this change made my muffins hard and still? Please, let me know so I won’t change the oil next time.

Sounds like you might be measuring your flour in a way that adds too much flour to the recipe. Please read our tips on how to measure flour (and watch the video, too) – that should help. Also, are you sure you were using King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour – not some other brand, and not bread flour? Makes a HUGE difference. Keep trying – I’ll bet your next batch will be better! PJH

80. yipeiokyay

I’ve made these a few times and everyone loves them.

I made minor changes to improve the texture…they were too light for me.

I used 1 stick of butter and no oil and 1/2 & 1/2 instead of milk. I also added 3 T. Boiled Cider to the batter and baked them without papers so I could dunk the entire muffin in the melted butter and coat with the cinnamon sugar.

They are great!!!

81. gracetango

I made these right away and they’re absolutely fabulous! They really do taste like the old fashioned cake doughnuts. I made a couple of tweaks to the recipe. I set the oven at 400 degrees, substituted half the flour with white whole wheat flour, added 1/4 tsp mace, and substituted 5 tablespoons of the milk with boiled cider. While they were still warm, I dipped the tops into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar. This recipe is a keeper and will be at the top of my muffin list from now on! Thank you KAF!!

I’ve discovered that if you make these in a mini muffin pan, and dip the entire mini in butter and roll in sugar, they’re a perfect match for doughnut holes… Glad these have made it to the top of your list! PJH

82. Naughtysquirrel

I just got around to making these and I will never buy cider mill donuts again..I will go for the cider, though!! The only change I made was to replace some milk with boiled cider…next time I will add more to the recipe…bravo once again to KAF – another keeper….NS

83. majorswife

My grandaughters spent the night and the four year old helped me make these delightful muffins for breakfast. They really do taste like doughnuts without all that fat. My, what a warm fuzzy we all got when we had fresh from the oven muffins!!! Later in the day, we took some to the girls’ mother and they were still light and airy and utterly delicious. My family thinks I am a baking genius…..I won’t tell who the real genius is…that would spoil my reputation. Thanks, KAF for making me look good!

And thanks for making US look good with this lovely story… PJH

84. jlamb814386

Made these several times. My Grands love them. G-ma

P.S. Love all your products. Wish I lived right next door to King Arthur :-}

We wish you did too – you could enjoy our bakery, café, and store! PJH

85. cherminwil

This muffin recipe has been a favorite of mine since breakfast prep duty at boarding school forty years ago. I wish I’d had your wonderful how to photos back then. Delicious!

86. fran16250

I have only whole nutmegs in grinders. Any ideas on grating a significant amount (1 tsp +)? I’m thinking coffee/spice grinder but fear it may be too hard. How about a micro plane? A little risky for my knuckles perhaps. I think these will make a nice treat for a snow day coming up on Wednesday. I really like the idea of the boiled cider. I may just have to break down and buy some.
    It just occurred to me how even though this post is older you guys always reply to every post with a question. That seems like you must get an awful lot of posts. Keep up the good work!
    I like to use my microplane for grating nutmegs. I use a whole one and grate it to about half so that my fingers don’t get too scuffed up. ~ MaryJane

87. ksherman

I made these muffins last week and they came out exactly as the picture indicates. Thye were so delicious, really do taste like a donut but are in the shape of a muffin. Worth trying. I am obsessed with King Arthur products, if you follow their recipes exactly, they come out perfect every time.
    I recently signed up for the newsletter, and was at the store and picked up some old copies. I have tried several recipes and they are to die for. Wish I had signed up sooner! Pat
    Thank you for trying our recipes/products and the feedback! Come and see us soon! Elisabeth

88. nahiifa

My Mother used to make French Puffs when I was young-a long time ago. I will have to make these and send the recipe to my Brother. Brings back such fond memories. Thanks!

89. sharonbeck

Wow. I had no idea KAF was that old. I’m so impressed. Happy Birthday. My mother-in-law is visiting from Budapest and my husband translated what she said about the flour I have for her use. She said it was the BEST. I had never heard of KAF until I joined “Bake! Napa Valley” baking club. Our first guest author was Shirley O. Corriher and she told us she only uses KAF. What better recommendation could one have? And my health food store carries it. Now that’s a blessing!
    Sharon Beck

Sharon, thanks so much for your kind comments. We pride ourselves on our flour; it’s our focus. So we always love it when its quality is recognized (kind of like someone complimenting your child…) :) PJH