Sweet (maple) + salty (bacon) = scrumptious scones!

Bacon sizzling on the stove.

Pancakes hissing on the griddle.

Gently warmed maple syrup.

Eggs, ready to scramble…

Ah, a multi-tasker’s dream!

But what if you’re NOT one of those bright-eyed sorts who leaps out of bed at 5 a.m., ready and eager to tackle another day? What if weekend breakfasts leave you cold – with dread?

You’re the worst pancake-maker ever. You burn the bacon every time  – to say nothing of spattering the stovetop, and a 12” radius of countertop, with sticky bacon grease.

Perfectly scrambled eggs? Forget it. The pan’s too hot; the pan’s too cold. And besides, you’ve run out of patience.

Where’s Cap’n Crunch when you really need him?!

But wait – so what if you’re not the best breakfast cook in the world? Step away from the stove. Get out your mixing bowl. And whip up a batch of these Maple Bacon Scones, the easy solution to one of those “gotta have pancakes and bacon” mornings.

Love maple? Here are a couple of tasty ingredients: Vermont maple sugar, and maple flavor.

Next prepare the breakfast meat of your choice. Whatever you use, make sure it’s cooked.

A half pound of maple-cured ham is a good choice. And it’s easy to dice it with a pair of scissors.

You want pieces about 1/4” to 1/2” wide.

How about a pound of maple-smoked bacon?

Lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet…

…and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, till golden brown. No standing over a hot stove being spattered with bacon grease!

Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Carefully pick up the parchment, and discard. Your baking sheet will need only a quick wash in soapy water to remove the small amount of grease that escaped the parchment. No scrubbing; no fuss.

Want to save time? Start with 3 cups + 2 tablespoons of our Basic Scone Mix, the perfect base for adding your own fruit, nuts, chips – or bacon. The mix is slightly sweet and faintly scented with nutmeg, making it a good starting point for all manner of scones. Just add butter, milk, and an egg – plus your favorite imaginative additions.

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar or maple sugar

Add 1/2 cup cold butter, cut in pats.

Work the butter in till the mixture is unevenly crumbly.

Combine the following:

1 large egg
1/2 cup cold milk
1/2 teaspoon maple flavor, optional

Whisk till well combined.

Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture.

Add 2 cups diced cooked bacon or ham. That would be 1/2 pound of ham, or 1 pound of bacon, cooked.

Mix just till everything is evenly moistened.

Does this look evenly moistened? No.

Ah, there we go!

Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment or a lightly floured or lightly greased work surface.

If the dough seems fairly stiff, grease your work surface. If it’s REALLY sticky, use flour. This dough wasn’t at all sticky, so I sprayed my rolling mat with Everbake.

Roll or pat the dough into a 9” square.

For the best-looking scones, try to make the square fairly straight-edged.

GENTLY cut it into nine 3” squares. If you’re using a rolling mat, don’t bear down; you don’t want to cut into your mat.

Cut each square diagonally to make two triangles.

You’ll have 18 triangles.

Place the scones on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, and put them in the freezer for 30 minutes.

While the scones are chilling, preheat your oven to 425°F.

Brush the chilled scones with milk or cream…

…and sprinkle with additional maple sugar, about 2 tablespoons total.

Is your oven up to temperature?

In they go.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, till scones are a medium golden brown.

Like this.

Remove from the oven, and let them cool briefly on the pan.

Serve in all their simple glory, with scrambled eggs, if desired.

Or gild with maple syrup. Or maple butter.

Now THAT is tasty!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Maple Bacon Scones.

comments

1. Simone

Bacon in the oven? I love the idea! However, doesn’t it splatter the grease around and fill the oven (or even kitchen) with smoke?? Thanks!

Actually, it seems to just simmer and brown gently, no spattering – though yes, it does fill the kitchen with a lovely aroma (no smoke)… Try it – PJH

2. KimberlyD

If I wanted to freeze extra would I do it before baking or after? Also what do you think of dipping them in french toast egg mix and frying them?

Freeze before baking, Kimberly. As for frying like French toast – did you mean in place of baking? If so, I’d think you’d want to shape them differently; roll the dough about 1/4″ thin, and cut in squares or circles. You might have just invented a great new dish here – “French-fried scones!” :) PJH

3. Bridgid

one of my favorite combinations – maple & bacon! mmm mmm mmm…these need to happen in my kitchen when it is not 100 degrees outside!

It was 95°F even here in Vermont today – WOW. Definitely – dare I say it – a “leave the oven off” day! :) PJH

4. Angela

These look sooo yummy! One question though, I would like to use my scone pan instead of baking them free-form, what changes would I make to do this?
    Hi Angela,
    Just cut the scones into wedges that will fit into your scone pan and gently pat them into the wells. Bake as normal. Enjoy!
    ~ MaryJane

5. SoupAddict Karen

Two flavors just made for each other. I ordered the maple sugar, and I’m thinking of drizzling Vermont maple syrup over the bacon as it bakes (I could drink that stuff right out the bottle – maybe that’s why it comes in a jug…). I’m soooo making these this week!

6. Lee

Maple and bacon – super combination! I’m so lazy I’ve stopped rolling out my scones. I use an ice cream scoop to dip the batter out onto the parchment paper. Ever since you ran the “how to” on freezing the pre-baked scones awhile back I’ve been doing this with my scooped up scones. Once frozen I put them in a freezer bag and whenever we want a couple of hot scones for breakfast it’s easy to bake only what we need. Thanks for great recipes and ideas!

7. Sue E. Conrad

YAY, a scone I can make until eggnog (cinnamon-eggnog scones) once again becomes available…and my husband is already asking why I’m not making these right now!!!! I’m considering substituting prosciutto for the bacon or ham – good idea, yes???
    Yes a great idea. It is nice to be able to make something simple and make your husband happy! JMD@KAF

8. Dinah D.

This is the first time I’ve read “how to” info on the KA website. This was splendidly written and photographed and so very informative. I love the idea of using a scoop, eliminating the rolling out mess! What a time saver!! Would it be viable to use a cupcake pan?

I’m in a motorhome where kitchen space is quite minimal, so each step to cut down on need for counter space is most helpful.

Looking forward to future recipes……
    I hope you will take a look at our blog. There is a wealth of information there with great and helpful pictures to guide. If you do not have a sheet pan yes you may use your cupcake pan. JMD @KAF

9. Margy

OK, so I’m thinking bacon and….chocolate? Sounds yuck, but I recently had a bacon chocolate bar (Mo’s Bacon Bar from Vosges Haut Chocolate) that combined smoked bacon, smoked salt, and chocolate. It’s all or nothing–you either love it or hate it. I loved the combination of the chocolate with the smoky salt-sweet bacon. I was thinking to use vanilla extract, skip the maple, and add chocolate chips in addition to the bacon. Half the fun is in the experimentation. Besides, between work and family, there’s always someone willing to eat mistakes! Gotta wait for the weather to cool off, tho–records highs yesterday and today!

Well, one nice thing about scones is, the oven isn’t on for TOO long. It’s down to 92°F here now, after going up to about 96°F earlier. And, I think your chocolate-bacon idea sounds worth a try – I can see it. In fact, I might prefer milk chocolate in this case, though dark chocolate is usually my choice. Milk chocolate might not be as assertive and “competitive” with the bacon. Give it a try – let us know if it’s a fave or a flop! :) PJH

10. Sarah Schroeder

These sound so yummy, but having just been told to count my salt, sugar, calories and carbohydrates, so what is left, do you have those numbers somewhere?
    And …… when I found oven cooked bacon, I freeze it in convenient serving size portions. Voila
    I will have to try cooking my bacon and freezing it. Less baking in this hot weather is an excellent idea. Unfortunately we do not have the nutritionals for this recipe. JMD @KAF

11. Darla Hursh

Oh My!!! THes soudn wonderful and so far everything I’ve made from this blog turns out wonderfully! I don’d have the scone starter mix, and was wondering what to use in place of it?

Darla, no need at all to use the scone mix, it was just a suggestion. Simply follow the recipe as written. Enjoy! PJH

12. Kate B.

I just bought maple sugar last weekend at the farmers market on a whim, and hadn’t figured out what to do with it. Perfect!

13. kim

I’m really excited to make these, but I don’t have maple sugar or flavoring, but I do have real maple syrup. Can I substitute that straight for the sugar?

Kim, eliminate the sugar, and substitute 3 tablespoons syrup for 3 tablespoons of the milk. Should work just fine- PJH

14. Mary

Wondering about the bacon and shipping of baked scones to an elderly relative. Is it safe to have these unrefrigerated for a few days? Love the idea of the chocolate. What do you think about white chocolate, cranberries and bacon? I don’t think I would try it in the summer months, but if the bacon was cooked very very crisp, possibly in the winter months , if you overnighted it, maybe. White chocolate, cranberries and bacon sound awesome. Have fun with it. Mary@ KAF

15. Shannon

What’s the best way to store these once they’re baked?

If you cook the bacon thoroughly, they should be OK for a few hours at room temperature. FDA would say no more than 2 hours. Other than that, best bet is to freeze, then reheat in a 350°F oven, draped in foil, for 10 minutes or so. Or store for a day or so in the fridge, and reheat as desired. PJH

16. subo

These maple, bacon scones sound wonderful…
    Using parchment paper while baking the bacon is a great idea. I almost always bake my bacon for the family and then have to deal with the messy pan. From now on its parchment paper.
    Have you made these scones with gluten-free flour? None of my nearby stores have your gluten-free scone mix so I need a recipe with gf flour to enjoy this interesting recipe.
    I would love to make these for my celiac husband.

Hi – Your best bet would be to amend our basic gluten-free scones recipe, adding bacon and maple. Read the recipe all the way through, then dive in; you’ll probably have to purchase some GF ingredients, unless your pantry is already stocked with xanthan gum, King Arthur gluten-free multi-purpose flour, and/or stabilized brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Good luck! PJH

17. Shell-Bell

These look fantastic!

That being said, I too like to watch what I eat (or at least know what I’m getting myself into!) So to those who wish the recipe included nutritionals, they are as follows (calculated per the recipe exactly as written):

18 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 280.5

Total Fat 18.0 g

Saturated Fat 7.7 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 1.8 g

Monounsaturated Fat 7.5 g

Cholesterol 47.3 mg

Sodium 520.8 mg

Potassium 148.4 mg

Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g

Dietary Fiber 0.6 g

Sugars 2.4 g

Protein 10.4 g

Not too shabby considering the caloric load of your average fast food breakfast sandwich. I’ll be making these tonight! :)

18. SarahJ

If you want to make them the night before, and you stop at freezing, how do you cook them?
    Hi SarahJ,
    Just put the frozen scones on a baking sheet, don’t thaw them. Then straight to the preheated oven, adding about 5 more minutes to the baking time. Enjoy! ~ MaryJane