Beat the heat! No-knead garlic-cheese flatbread

WOW. It’s too hot to bake.

Not only that, it’s too hot to fuss.

But – what about our daily bread?

Fuss-free, no-knead, quick-baking focaccia to the rescue!

The East Coast has been blasted by a serious heat wave this week, and it’s reached all the way up here to northern New England. We’re experiencing Florida-like weather – without the AC. Temperatures have been in the mid- to high-90s since Monday, with suffocating humidity.

And, since this prolonged hot weather only happens once every few years, frugal New Englanders don’t buy air conditioners; they just wait it out. And talk about the weather.

My Web teammate Tracy says, “When it’s this hot, there’s NO cooler spot on your pillow.” Many of us have taken to sleeping in the cellar where, if we’re lucky, the temperature might be in the low 80s – as opposed to the stuffy 90s of most upstairs bedrooms.

Or my kitchen at home, which happens to be on the top floor where all the heat rises and collects. Sure, it’s nice and cozy in the winter, but right now? BLECHH.

Still, I have to have my bread…

…and my crunchy nibbles to enjoy with a glass of mint limeade, out on the deck at about 10 p.m., when it finally cools down to the upper 70s.

Relief is on the way; thunderstorms and cooler temperatures are predicted for tomorrow. So I’ll be back to my usual array of sandwich loaves and ciabatta.

But I won’t forget this easy flatbread. No-knead? No-fuss? No problem! Even when the world around you is melting…

Put the following ingredients in a bowl:

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
3 tablespoons olive oil (plus additional for drizzling into the pan)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon instant yeast
4 teaspoons Pizza Dough Flavor, optional

Beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds. This is what it’ll look like after about 15 seconds.

After 60 seconds, it should be nice and smooth.

And the gluten will be nicely developed. See the stretch? It’s this elasticity that captures and holds CO2 from the fermenting yeast, causing your bread to rise.

Next, prepare your filling. Peel some garlic cloves. How many? We used 8 here. Use fewer if you’re not a garlic fan. In fact, leave the garlic out entirely, if you like.

A pair of scissors does a good job chopping the garlic coarsely.

We like to leave the garlic in fairly large chunks.

Next, add 8 ounces of cheese, which you’ve cut in chunks. I used sharp cheddar here, but choose your own favorite.

Hot enough for you?

If you love spicy foods, try Cabot’s Hot Habanero cheese. For less heat, their Pepper Jack is a great choice.

Beat gently, just till the cheese and chopped garlic are distributed evenly throughout the dough.

Lightly grease a 9” x 13” pan, and drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom.

Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan.

Push it into the corners of the pan.

Cover the pan, and let the dough rise at room temperature for 60 minutes, till it’s become puffy.

Like this.

It looks like a big soft pillow, doesn’t it?

I’ve always wondered what would happen if you made a huge amount of dough and put it in a bathtub to rise. If you got in, would you rise with the dough? I think it’s a matter of weight and surface area, but I was never a great physics student…

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.

Sprinkle the risen dough with pizza seasoning.

Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes.

When it’s golden brown, it’s done.

Remove it from the oven.

After a minute or so, turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.

See that layer of olive oil at the bottom? It makes the crust delightfully crunchy, like a Pizza Hut pizza.

And the melting cheese and chunks of garlic are just heavenly.

Now, once you’ve enjoyed your bread warm, you can take the leftovers and make them into crunchy bread sticks.

Cut the bread crosswise, into two 6 1/2”-wide pieces. Cut 1/2”-wide strips, and lay them on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake in a preheated oven, anywhere from 350°F to 400°F, for 20 to 30 minutes or so, till the sticks are golden and crunchy.

Like this.

Great nibbles with drinks!

Parsley pesto is a lovely accompaniment.

And guess what? You can substitute King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour for the all-purpose, and make a wonderfully light 100% whole-grain loaf. Here I’ve used “Buffalo cheese” from our local supermarket’s deli counter.

No, not buffalo milk mozzarella. Buffalo, as in “buffalo chicken,” as in spicy.

So I figured it would be kinda spicy.

WOW. Was it EVER spicy!

Bread made from whole wheat on the bottom, and made from all-purpose flour on the top. Only the color is different; both rose equally. YEE-HAW!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for No-Knead Garlic-Cheese Flatbread.

comments

1. Becca J

PJ, this looks delicious! For those of us who don’t have Kitchenaids, could you mix this bread with a lowly hand-held electric mixer or (even more low-tech) a wooden spoon? Just wondering if either of those methods would get the proper gluten formation. As far as gluten development goes, the hand mixer would probably work,if your mixer could stand it without burning out . The armstrong variety of wooden spoon would also work ;) but would take at least 5 minutes of constant heavy duty stirring. A food processor might be another option. Try it have fun! Mary@ KAF

2. Wei-Wei

Mmm, I love foccacia! I think I would mince the garlic, though – I don’t like big chunks of garlic (or onion) in anything. And I might grate the cheese and leave a few in cubes for those awesome melty pockets of cheese you get. This looks like a great recipe and the results are just awesome! I don’t have a stand mixer, though. Does that mean I still have to knead?

Wei-Wei You wouldn’t knead but would need to use the armstrong method- at least 5 minutes of vigourous stirring. If you have a hand mixer or a food processor, they might be an option also. Mary@KAF

3. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

It sounds nice delicious. A pretty variation of the KAF BREAD STICKS recipe i bake here constantly. I´ll give a try to this LOVELY recipe. The bread sticks are really delicious. I love the spicy version. Here in Brazil i bake those sticks with Lemon Pepper, plus another spices like thyme, nutmeg, oreganum. The mix of garlic cloves, plus cheeses sounds yummy!!!

4. Lee

I love your title “King Arthur Baker/blogger” – reminds me of the Sam Adams beer labels – Sam Adams “Brewer/Patriot”. First things first! :)

I have a package of that Cabot Hot Habanero in my frig and no plan for dinner yet, it’s headed into the mid 90s here in FL, I think I’ll give this a try. Some cold cuts, salami, pepperoni, provolone on the side and a salad will make it a meal.

5. BellesAZ

I’m drooling, while at the same time wiping the sweat from my brow. It is 113 degrees here in sunny Arizona! I’m baking anyway.. to heck with the heat!

6. Joni M

whoa baby–I know what I’m making this weekend!!! Oh dear, talk about making a mouth water–this looks delightfully yummy, and easy at that!

7. John VanNierop

I will have to try these flat breads they sound wonderful. I’m down here on the west coast of Florida where heat and humidity are par for the course for summer weather. I cook my flat bread usually Naan on the grill. It does not heat the kitchen up and make for higher AC bills. Carne Adovada (pork cooked in red chiles) and gyro meat go well wrapped in hot Naan bread. Let me know if you want the recipes for the Carne Adovada or the Gyro meat.
    Naan Bread.pdf Those sound great. If you’d care to send them to us at bakers@kingarthurflour.com and put attention Mary on them. I would appreciate it. Thanks. Mary@ KAF

8. April in CT

HOLY COW!!! I can’t wait to make this, even in this awful heat!! That is gorgeous!

And about this heat, I’m from GA and even I can’t take it! Bring on the Fall and Winter, I’m dreaming of it. :)

9. Jan

This recipe sounds quick and delicious, and I cannot wait to try it. I would appreciate a printable version though!

10. Lisa Mills

I always love your recipes and blogs, they express your passion for food and life. It’s nice to know I have a kindred spirit out there that has unique mental processes like my own. There have been many times I have wished for a dough bed because I love the texture and poof of rising dough! This recipe is so flexible that you can suit even the pickiest appetites, and easily customize to compliment any type of meal.

11. Lish

This looks fantastic, and is so timely for me. I am having guests tomorrow, and I normally grill everything, but it is supposed to rain and I wanted something easy for an appetizer. This is perfect with some homemade pesto, since I have tons of herbs in the garden just waiting to be used. My guests love LOVE love garlic, and spicy cheese, plus I have everything to make it. YUM-O! How would a mix of white whole wheat and semolina or pizza blend do for this? I think the blend of either some semolina, or whole wheat would work very well. The pizza blend should work well, too but would be a less noticeable change. Experiment, Have Fun!Mary@KAF

12. Bonnie

The bread looks yummy. And what can I say about your heat wave “up there”? Here in Houston, TX, we’ve been super lucky that we haven’t hit 100 yet, but we’re not even halfway through our summer! The humidity is ridiculous and we’ve had so much rain that the whole city smells like a big, wet dog. BUT, we do have A/C. Down here we wouldn’t even attempt to live without it. Sweltering doesn’t begin to explain it. On the flip side, we don’t get your winters! If you get overwhelmed by the heat, open up the freezer & stand in front of it for a minute. Try & stay cool, and thanks for ALL the great recipes.

13. Angie C

This looks very much like the focaccia my grandmother used to make. She pronounced it, “focach” and would put a bit of olive oil on the top of the bread as well. She’d also squeeze some canned tomatoes and put a bit of them on the top of the bread and dimple it with her fingers before seasoning the bread.

Thanks, I will have to try this soon!

14. Margaret Woodside

I have made this bread plain with just some dried oregano sprinkled in. I have made it with pesto smeared on the top. I have made it plain for bread sticks. I have given the link to the recipe at least a dozen times. This is just the best for that quick tasty bread that everyone loves. I am going to try with cheese and garlic. Everyone will love it, too. Thanks all. I, too, am baking for a better world. Hope it cools off for you. We are having a cool summer here in CA.

15. Erin R.

Oh, HOORAY! I do have a focaccia recipe I’m happy with but, dang it, now this one needs to be given a turn. I have a brand new Bosch mixer I need to break in (husb dumped my old mixer off the edge of the counter and smashed it to smithereens), so I believe this will be a good project for this weekend. God bless you for trying it out with the white whole wheat flour, which I ALWAYS manage to work into any bread I make. Good to know I can use all WWW in this one.

Thanks for all your great ideas and efforts. I really appreciate each blog entry you send out, and have learned so much from you.

16. Andi

We broke high temperature records here in southeastern PA this week, an honor I could do without!
    This goes on the top of the “next thing to try” list. You are always there with something new and interesting for me to try.

17. LaJuana

This looks incredible and while I’ve not tried this recipe, I live by the ABin5 books and recipes. I have not bought a loaf of bread since buying their first book about two years ago. I’ve tweaked their method to make it even easier on myself …and everything I make with it from pastries to whole grain breads is a favorite with everyone who tries it.

I carried sandwiches to a work function yesterday and half were made with the buttermilk enriched dough out of their first book and and the other half from a whole wheat dough out of their second. Half the people couldnt believe that it was really homemade bread and everyone loved them…the bread especially.

And by the way, I also carried two pies made with your Summertime Peach Pie recipe of a couple of years ago. That is the best crust not just that I’ve ever made, but that I’ve ever had…flaky and oh so tasty! They topped off the sandwich lunch perfectly!

You have to LOVE recipes you can depend on every time! Many thanks to not only Jeff and Zoe but also to all of you at King Arthur Flour for all you do to make this a reality for us!

18. Sherry from Connecticut

I can’t wait to try this recipe, especially with WWW, but will wait until it cools down a bit more. I live on the 3rd floor of a 3-family house with no AC. To Bonnie in Houston who suggested standing in front of the refrigerator to cool off… FYI, my cat tried to crawl into the fridge the other day when it was 101F. Can’t blame him because I’d have crawled in right after him if I could. I once lived in Miami, FL and this is just like that only with pollution. I too can hardly wait for autumn.

19. Margo

Thanks for giving 2 basic versions – one with whole wheat and yellow cheese and the other with white flour and white cheese – the family will have to try them side by side for our very own taste test and see what the consensus is!

20. Melanie

This looks amazing! I noticed the pan you used seems to have ridges in the bottom and on the sides. I have tried to make that delicious pizza hut pan crust in a pan that is smooth and it never comes out quite right. Are the ridges in the pan the key to the crispy oily bottom? The ridges certainly help. Mary@ KAF

21. Chcocomouse

I have this rising now! I added fresh garlic chives for a little color and flavor. I also reduced the water a bit to make it easier to handle, and will shape it into 6 inch rounds to cook on the grill. I haven’t cooked inside for a week now, and with this heat, I’m not about to start. Thanks for the great ideas!

22. SoupAddict Karen

There are some things that are just worth turning on the oven for – this is one of them. Oh, Cabot cheese! My local grocery conglomerate recently contracted with Murray’s Cheese, so, they’re indifferent to my pleadings for Cabot. (Savages.)

23. Tony

Cool – LOVE the savoury biscotti version!

Tony, that’s exactly the process – they’re just thinner… PJH

24. rose

I use a rotisserie (larger than just a toaster oven) oven in patio so I do not have to put oven in house on and so far, there is nothing I can’t bake/broil/steam/reduce/braise…absolutely enjoyed your little tidbits like cutting the garlic larger with scissors, etc. Will proof dough all night in cold oven in house and bake in the morning…thanks for such an informative and honestly humorous blog! The high heat setting is fine in my oven:

25. Caroline

Yum! I had sliced garlic and shredded sharp cheddar on hand, so in they went. It’s only 90 degrees here in Philly today (a slight reprieve from triple digits!), and this sounded too good to resist. This will make wonderful croutons tomorrow…

26. Judy

Yum! Sounds great – - can’t wait to make it. Could you give directions for making the bread in my “Zoji” Bread Machine?

Thanks!

Judy, knead the dough for about 15 minutes on the dough cycle, then add the cheese and garlic, continue to knead till it’s incorporated, cancel the machine, and continue with the recipe from there. It’ll work just fine. PJH

27. Cyn

Does that ever look good! I don’t know what is going on with the weather this summer. You on the East Coast have the sweltering temps that are generally here at this time in the Midwest. In the meantime…we have cooler weather (relatively speaking!) So weird for me to be able to bake in July. No complaints, though!

28. Janet B

I’m out of fresh garlic and don’t want to go to the store. Can I just sprinkle with garlic salt instead?

Leave it out, use olives instead, sprinkle with garlic salt or garlic powder – let your imagination be your guide, Janet. The add-ins aren’t integral to the recipe – just suggestions. Enjoy – PJH

29. karen

Rosa is right! This is droolworthy! Its been hot here,too, so I did this out on the grill. Worked great! Had it with gazpacho,too. Yum! and, THANKS!!!

30. ATL Cook

It has been in the low 100s the last few days. Cold meals, but I want to make this. No doubt it would rise fast @ 80º inside the house.

It could bake in the toaster oven on the back porch or on the gas grill.

Publix sells Cabot cheese and butter and I love them. Plenty of garlic and I will try the toppings–olives, Vidalia onions, and thin sliced tomatoes.

31. Lisa

I made this bread today. WARNING…My husband and I can’t stop eating it! It’s wonderful!

I used grated Mexican cheese for the cheese. I used minced garlic from a jar too. I used my cheap handheld mixer instead of my Osterizer Kitchen Center with dough hooks. The cheap handheld mixer was fine and did a great job. Just be careful that the dough will work up on the beater things if you don’t pay attention..just scrape it back down with a rubber spatula and keep mixing for the 1 minute. I just mixed the cheese and garlic with the rubber spatula instead of mixing it with the mixer at that point..it worked well.

I made it in my 9″ x 13″ glass pan. I will make it in my 11″ x 15″ glass pan next time to make it just a bit thinner. We want more of that crunch that forms on the crust on the bottom so we decided the bigger pan would do better for us.

The only problem I had was when I went to flip it out onto the cooling rack. It didn’t budge. So, I loosened the edges all around and then flipped. The top came out and the bottom stayed in. Had to use a spatula to get the bottom out of the pan. Next time, I know now that I should loosen it with the spatula on the bottom before flipping.

I used the white all purpose flour this time and will use the unbleached whole wheat the next time.

32. Judy

I will be making this and the muffins tomorrow, but do you make your limeade with Mint from scratch and if so, HOW? please, I have a lime tree and mint in my garden. My firemen that I bake for love the bread I make for them and the Carti Di Musica . Can’t wait till I am in Vermont for all of the classes I am taking with you.

Hi Judy – Combine 1 1/2 cups fresh mint leaves, lightly packed, with 1 cup each sugar and water. Simmer 2 minutes. Let cool, then strain syrup into a jar, discarding leaves. Store syrup in fridge. Mix syrup with fresh-squeezed lime juice and water to taste. We look forward to welcoming you to our BEC here in Vermont! PJH

33. michellemabell

LOL at the thought of the ‘bathtub rise’!

Thank you so much for posting the pictures so accurately and not just written descriptions. I have a hard time not adding too much flour. But now I see in this photo just how wet the dough should be….Thanks!
    michelle

34. Betty

I have some dried cherry tomatoes – how would they go with this? Gotta try it. It’s cold here in “sunny” Ca. (foggy foggy dew – 2 months now).

B.
    Sounds good to me, give it a try! ~ MaryJane

35. Louanne

I have a pan rising at this very moment. I’m in south Louisiana, so the a/c is at full-tilt boogie. It’s already reached 90 degrees and it’s not even 10 am. Love this blog, btw.

36. Sue

More add ons, or add ins – we call this beach bread at our house (easily portable). Chopped artichoke hearts and a few chopped anchovies on top, sprinkled with coarse salt – or capers and dried tomatoes and some sliced pepperacini, or chopped Greek olives and feta and chopped herbs – So good!

37. Cheryl

Would feta cheese be suitable with this recipe? I am not fond of cheddar cheese.
    Sure you can use feta cheese or any cheese you like. But for this recipe drain your feta first. JMD@KAF

38. Anna

I don’t have instant yeast can I use something else.
    Yes you may use active dry yeast that you proof in some of the water from the recipe. JMD@KAF

39. Marcia

I have it in the oven right now. I used the white whole wheat flour but mine formed a ball which made it tricky to get the cheese chunks in. I’m hoping it just will melt together as it bakes. The garlic was fresh from the garden several weeks ago and has been drying in the garage. It smells delightful. Will serve it with pasta tonight.

40. Mimi

My batch is in the oven right now. The smell alone is driving me insane! I used garlic and jalapeno cheddar (made here in Colorado) in my batch. I am planning to cut mine into squares and make BLT’s for dinner tonight! The rest will be made into breadsticks, per your wonderful recipe. It will go great with chopped tomatoes, sweet onions and basil tomorrow for lunch.

41. Lee

I made this yesterday. It’s too much effort to ever get out the mixer so I dumped it in a bowl at noon when I had the time (except for the cheese and garlic) I used Frontier Organic Pizza Seasoning herb mix in place of the Pizza Dough flavoring(I am anti-autolyzed yeast extract, too much like msg!) I left it to rise for the afternoon while running errands and kids sports activities. Got home, kneaded in Cabot Hot Habanero and the garlic and baked it in my 9×13 stoneware pan. Everyone came running as soon as they caught scent of it baking! We had it along with a big chef’s salad and it was perfect!
    Tonight I took the half that I hid away last night and made the “biscotti” breadsticks and we had it with spaghetti and meatballs when the grandparents came over. What a great way to stretch a loaf of bread! Thanks so much for the great recipe. We’ll do this again!
    Thanks for sharing your variation and menu tips! Irene @ KAF

42. Judy

Looks good, smells good, tastes good. It is easy to make ! I did not have whole garlic, so used a Roasted Garlic Puree which was nummy. I did not have pizza seasoning either, so topped with a combination of basil, oregano and parsley.

43. Tom

Nice. Very, very nice. I made the WWW version, and we had some with a Greek salad tonight for dinner. This is a ‘print out and keep’ recipe!

Glad you enjoyed it, Tom – PJ

44. Pam

This bread was fantastic. I just happened to have bought the Cabot Hot Habanero Cheese the day before. That is some REALLY hot cheese! It made a real tasty bread too. King Arthur really came through on how easy this recipe was and not so time consuming, either. The blog really helps us to know what it should look like, and mine looked exactly like the picture. Today we had left-overs for lunch. It was still moist and worthy the second time around. Now for the rest of the leftovers, I may put slice of tomato sprinkled with some cheese and bacon on the pieces and broil it. I am anxious to play with other kinds of cheese and ingredients like olives. It must be fun to work in a test kitchen like KA!

Pam, thanks for reporting in – it all sounds wonderful! And yes, we do enjoy our jobs here – it’s great working for a company you actually own, rather for some far-off stockholders… We’re very fortunate. PJH

45. Lish

I made this yesterday with homemade pesto for dipping. I used 8 cloves of garlic minced and a bar of Cabot 75% light cheddar. I used white whole wheat with some pizza blend, since I am trying to use some of it up, as my mom gave me an extra bag of it. It was light and delicious, though I had the same problem as another person of having it stick in the bottom. I sort of cut it in half in the pan and scraped out the bottom so it all stayed together. I think next time I will line with a silpat or some parchment. The bread and pesto was a huge hit, and there was none left. Thanks for a great and easy idea!

Lish, did the cheese glue it to the bottom, or was the actual bread stuck? Did you grease the pan before drizzling with olive oil? Did you try to take it out as soon as it was done? Parchment would keep it from sticking, but you’d also lost that crispy/crunchy, olive oil bottom… Anyway, glad it tasted good! PJH

46. Debra

Wow – incredible!! And so easy…made the whole house smell like pizza. I can’t find any reason not to make this every week – thanks for the terrific recipe!

Yay, Debra – a keeper! Thanks for sharing your success- PJH

47. Tammy

It came together beautifully (hand snipped the garlic, used pre-shredded cheddar because I had it in the fridge), but I had to pry the loaf out of the pan (totally stuck despite being greased and oiled – I used a corningware 9×13 baking pan, if that makes a difference). Even somewhat ragged from the de-panning, it smelled great, but my husband didn’t like it at all. I thought it was really dry and the oiled crust on the bottom wasn’t ‘pizza hut crispy’ but kinda gritty. I might try it again, maybe, but it just didn’t work out for us.

Tammy, might have been the Corningware didn’t get hot enough to make a really nice bottom crust, like metal would. Do you have a metal pan you could try it in? Use two 9″ round cake pans if you don’t have a 9″ x 13″…

48. Lish

I greased and oiled a metal 13×9, which is semi-nonstick, but the cheese melted and browned so much that it glued. I think if I just cut smaller chunks of cheese, or maybe pour a small amount of dough into the pan before I mix in the cheese I could avoid the sticking cheese problem. I will absolutely make it again, so I will have to try to find a way to make it not stick. Even broken the bread only lasted an hour once the guests showed up, so it is a keeper!

Sorry this recipe effort was a stickler. If you try this again with the same size cheese chunks, consider sprinkling them on top of the dough in the pan – then let the dough rise around the chunks. This may suspend them so they won’t stick to the bottom as much. Irene @ KAF

49. Sharon

I made this bread yesterday using cubed sharp cheddar cheese and pre-minced garlic. I used ‘Everbake’ to grease the metal pan, then sprinkled it with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. I used the ‘pizza blend’ seasoning on the top of the bread. After baking, I used a spatula to release the sides of the bread and also to release it on the bottom in some areas, but it was because the cheese had melted and stuck! The bottom turned out really crispy and it tasted wonderful! What a great recipe and so easy and versatile! Thanks again, KAF!!

50. Allison

I made this for dinner last evening, despite the hot hot day. But it got me thinking…could I toss the whole pan onto the grill (I used Pyrex) instead of heating up the oven and house?

Allison, you’d want to put it on indirect heat, like off to the side of the main area of heat; kind of the indirect smoking technique, without the smoke. Also, make sure what temperature your Pyrex dish is safe to, and use the temperature gauge on your grill to make sure you don’t exceed that limit… Worth a try, next time the temperature climbs into the 90s (like today!) – PJH

51. Mary

I made this today – outstanding! My boys loved it too. I’ll definitely try it again with the spicy cabot cheese and whole garlic cloves. . .maybe directly on the grill, so I don’t heat up the house. Thanks for another great recipe!

52. Angela

I will definitely be making this later in the week! Thankfully here in Dallas almost *everything* is airconditioned so I bake happily year round!

Having said that I’ll share this trick with Tracy from my youth staying on my grandparents farm which didn’t have AC. Create your own cool spot on the pillow. I would take my pillow case and my top sheet too and put them in the freezer for a few hours between dinner and bed! It’s really refreshing and just as the sheet starts to warm up I was always just falling asleep.

Angela, I’ll pass this along to Tracy tonight, via email – it’s still 89°F here, so I’m sure she can use this information! Thanks so much – PJH

53. Laurie

I made this to go with dinner tonight–didn’t even think about starting it until nearly 4:00, and we ate before 6:00. It was perfect with a salad for dinner; now I can’t wait to try the breadsticks with the leftovers. I think next time I might cut the recipe in half, for the two of us. I used half pepper cheese and half cheddar, using up the leftovers in my cheese drawer.

54. Mickey

Recipe looks great but I have a question. What temperature is lukewarm? I have always had a problem with water temperature and yeast so I have started using a thermometer to make sure the water is warm enough and also not too hot. luke warm is about 100-105 degres F. Mary@ KAF

55. Tracy

Does all that garlic mellow and lose the raw garlic taste? Heck, I may not wait for an answer and go ahead and make this anyway! ;)

Yes, it does mellow – I found it very pleasing, Tracy. Hope you do, too… :) PJH

56. Becka

I made this bread this afternoon and lined the pan with Reynolds non-stick foil and then added the oil. The bread did not stick at all and was delicious in some sub-like sandwiches for supper. The leftovers will be served with spaghetti tomorrow night and as croutons with our salad on Sunday. Thanks for another great recipe and for one of my absolute favorite blogs!

57. Pam Linkous-Polan

I feed a bunch of hot, tired Boy Scout Camp staff every Saturday in the summer when they emerge from the woods to shower and do laundry on their day off. I threw this bread together in a hurry around mid morning (I left out the garlic to appease the picky eaters) and by early afternoon it was gone! Those kids loved it as a quick snack to hold them until the rest of the meal was ready on the grill. I see lots of variations of this winner to get us through the season. Thanks for spotlighting this recipe!!!

Pam, my son was a Scout – and well do I remember those days in the woods. Thanks for feeding that hungry staff! PJH

58. Don

I like really spicy food, I live in the wine country of Baja Mexico in the winter and Montana in the summer, (best of both worlds) at any rate I have sprinkled the top of this bread, or one similar with canned chopped chilies and if you can stand the heat even canned chopped Jalapenos, I have even used the Jalapeno rounds, and then covered the whole thing with grated Parmesan,not the powdery kind, the real grated, holds the chilies on, and as it melts and browns it really accentuates the cheese inside.
    Sliced with a topping of Guacamole, or Pico de Gio and a glass of wine, what could be better.

59. Yorkxan

Easy, tasty and a hit! Suggestion, I fought getting a Kitchaid mixer for 15 years. After my husbands constant nagging of why I do not get one with all the cooking I do I gave in. Should of listened to him 15 years ago. For anyone that spends anytime in the kitchen save your money and buy one. Be sure and read the reports and get the basic + for the extra power in doing doughs and stiff cookie mixes. It is amazing how many times my Kitchenaid gets used a week.

60. Cyn

Totally agree on the Kitchenaid. I find that I cook and bake a lot more with its help — it just makes so many things much easier, even when I’m simply mixing a basic cake batter.

I baked this flatbread the other day with the cheese chunks; I worked in some dried onion flakes and sprinkled more on top right before baking. The moisture in the dough worked on the dried onion on top, and I wound up with some lovely caramelized flakes on the surface.

I am now cutting squares of the bread, then cutting the squares in half lengthwise. I layer thinly sliced ham in the middle, brush the outside top and bottom with olive oil, and grill them in my “George Grill” (which really is a pretty good panini press when you apply gentle pressure to the lid!) An excellent sandwich that makes a hearty lunch w/o heating up the kitchen. Thanks as always for these super recipes! Hmmm. The Fluffernutter pie may have to be next…oh, what a tough choice!

61. Anne Ardoin

This is in my oven baking as we speak and it smells amazing and looks beautiful! Thanks for another time saving but delicious recipe!

62. Andi

I am waiting for the second batch of this bread to rise as I type.
    I made this last week and we just love it! I used Penzeys Italian Herb Mix on top. After we had it warm at dinner, I froze the rest in serving-size pieces and it warmed up beautifully.
    When we finished it at dinner last night, I got a request to make some more. You couldn’t ask for a better bread with a light summer meal.
    Thanks again, PJ.

63. Mary

I cut this delightful bread into circles and then cut the circles in half and used them for hamburger buns. Oh my goodness the family went nuts. The leftover “scraps” from cutting out the circles were cubed and baked and used a crutons. Just the best ever! Thank you

64. Elizabeth

So, naturally I find this recipe about an hour before I head to bed and into a work rotation…It’ll have to wait a few days, I can’t wait to bake and eat!

65. Barbara

My goodness! I spent the weekend adding recipes to my recipe box here to copy to MasterCook. Long story short, I chose to make an Italian dinner tonight, everything from scratch so guess what bread I made? This flatbread is amazing in its simplicity. I am so pleased that it turned out exactly like yours PJ and I didn’t have a bit of trouble turning it out of the pan. Everyone loved it so much that they want me to slice the leftover chicken and slice the bread horizontally and make sandwiches for them for work tomorrow! I guess I will have to make another loaf so that I can try the breadsticks!

Every single recipe I have made from KAF has made me look like an expert and I absolutely love the step by step instructions.

Next, I am going to make crumpets (as soon as my English muffin rings get here that is!) Thanks to all your contributions in making this a favored site for so many people.

We all make this site successful, Barbara. It’s about baking, and sharing – what we make, and how we get there. Delightful, eh? Thanks for connecting- PJH

66. rccx2007

I made this a few weeks ago, but the dough was much stiffer than suggested in the recipe. I am in Arizona and I know it can be pretty dry, so I did try to compensate by slightly increasing the water – but obviously not enough and once the dough comes together it’s really difficult to incorporate additional liquid. What might have helped (and this goes for all the recipes, especially doughs) is to list ingredients by weight rather than volume (particularly flour). This would have probably allowed me to get much closer to the results shown.

FYI – while it was a little more difficult to work with, it was really delicious and will definitely make again.
    Hi there,
    Sorry to hear that you had a bit of trouble with the recipe. We do offer weights versions on all of our newer recipes. When you are on the recipe page, just below the bold Ingredients header, just change the bullet from volume to weight. Hope this helps! ~ MaryJane

67. cadia

I made this last night using 2.5 all purpose and 1c whole wheat, I did have to use more water than called for. I used oregano as my pizza spice and cheddar cheese and garlic of course!
    I was a little disappointed in the texture ~ it seems too cakey. I’m wondering if I left out the oil in the flour mixture but still used the pan oil if I would get a more chewy texture?
    Anyone know?
    Next time I’ll try a black olives and feta with oregano and maybe some lemon zest!

Leaving the oil out (substituting water) would give you a more chewy texture, yes – as would leaving out the Pizza Dough Flavor, and switching to a higher-protein flour (e.g., bread flour or high-gluten flour), and increasing the liquid by a couple of tablespoons (if you switch to the higher-protein flour). Give any or all of those a try next time, see how you like it. PJH

68. Arti

This one is super fast, super easy and super yumm bread!!!! I made it yesterday and was amazed with the results!!! I made it with bread/pizza flour and got nice, porous and crusty bread!!!
    Thanks for the recipe!!

69. Hotdog

Hi.. My dough didn’t rise up within an hour so I thought of giving it a little more time. Has anyone else had this problem with the dough? I’m worried. I used whole wheat flour for half the mixture but, that can’t be the reason, right?
    Can someone help me with this?
    thanks.

Hi – using even partly whole wheat flour will definitely not only slow down the rise, but reduce it; the bran in whole wheat flour cuts the developing strands of gluten, and your dough becomes a “leaky balloon.” Still, it should rise – not as much, and more slowly, but it SHOULD rise… Perhaps you’d like to talk to someone on our bakers’ hotline? They can give you more guidance on this. 802-649-3717. PJH

70. gemgirld

I made this tonight to go with my pasta/chicken sausage pesto and it was sooo delicious! Very easy too. I had the King Arthur Italian Style Flour in my pantry so I used half that/half regular flour. Fantastic! I can’t wait to make it again and switch the flavors a bit.

This is indeed a super bread for tweaking to taste with all kinds of herbs and tasty add-ins… PJH

71. Madison

Can i make it with whole wheat instead of all purpose flour? Do I have to increase the yeast level?
    You should be able to add some whole wheat to this. Start with a 25%, then if you like the results, go to 50/50, etc. until you reach a ratio you are happy with. You don’t need to change the yeast, but you’ll need to increase the liquid. The more WW you use, the more liquid it will absorb. Be sure to report back and let us know how it goes~ ~ MaryJane

72. Daryl-Atlanta

A word to the wise: You have to be careful with the mixer on high. I have a large KitchenAid and have been told by my local KitchenAid repairman that I should definitely NOT do dough on the high setting as it’s very east to torque the motor and damage the “made to fail” gear. Since he warned me, I did and it failed and the repair was $95. Best to monitor any mixer with a thick, wet dough and start out s-l-o-w. Then, at the first sound of a motor skip/slip or vibration…stop the mixer and do the rest by hand.

73. Reggie

OMG! Amazing. I followed this recipe very closely except for plopping the cheese on the top since I was worried about it sticking as others had mentioned. It came out wonderful. I also made it on my lunchtime and didn’t bake until I got home so it rose for about 5 hours. It was a bit puffy when I got home but when I took the saran wrap off, it deflated and baked up just fine. I will definitely make this again! I used 8 cloves of garlic but I will actually add more next time. Wasn’t enough for this garlic loving family!

74. Lexine

Made this with shredded cheese and loved it, trying chunks of pepper jack this time around. Used the leftovers for homemade croutons and they were a BIG hit! Thanks for a delicious bread.

75. hookergram

Made this today & OMG it’s soooo delicious and beyond EASY to make. Made dough in the morning, left to rise, went shopping and when I came home, put it in oven & couldn’t help myself but cut a slice when it came out of the oven. Put a little butter on it & couldn’t stop eating it.
    The only problem I had was trying to get it out of the pan. I would suggest not only spraying the bottom with Olive Oil spray, but the sides also

Thanks for the tip – much appreciated. PJH

76. sigkat

Has anyone tried this no-knead garlic-cheese flatbread in a 10 x 15 stoneware jelly pan? I want to try it but wondering if it would be too thin and make it hard all the way through. Please let me know & thanks!

I’d try spreading it into the pan, though not to the very edge; it will continue to spread a bit as it bakes. I’m a little nervous about the shallowness of the pan… But give it a try, let us know how it works, OK? PJH

77. Ana Rita

You explained it very well and the photos help a lot!! Make it seem like it can´t go wrong I am certainly going to try this recipe out today! Wish me luck!!

Thank you for sharing!! :)

Glad you enjoyed the blog post, and I do wish you luck, Ana – I’m sure you’ll love the bread! PJH