Blend up summer’s bounty: homemade yogurt smoothies

homemade-yogurt-smoothies

Spring and summer are seasons to renew the soul. The bright sunshine, long days, and cool nights help our bodies and minds rejuvenate; and the bounty of fresh fruits and veggies provide endless meals chock full of flavors and vitamins to invigorate us further.

We grow strawberries and blueberries in our backyard, and our front property is surrounded by dozens and dozens of blackberry bushes. It used to tickle me pink that the blackberries in the pancake photo online a couple of years ago were from my front yard. I love to bring heaping bowls full in to share with my co-workers. Berryfest!

Combine our homegrown fruits with the stunning array of produce offered at local farmstands, and we’ve got a world of flavor awaiting our imaginations.

As days get hotter I find I want a cooler, lighter breakfast than eggs or oatmeal. With 19 chickens, 3 dogs, and a cat to take care of in the morning, my time is often at a premium; and being able to take a nutritious and delicious grab-and-go breakfast is a real boon. Time to bring on the blender and make smoothies!

While you certainly can use store-bought yogurt to make smoothies, making fresh, homemade yogurt allows you to control the consistency and, most importantly, the ingredients to your taste. Know a local farmer who sells fresh milk? You’ve got it made. If not, check out local farmer’s markets and family-owned grocery stores for local products.

Let’s get started making the yogurt for our Homemade Yogurt Smoothies.

Here at King Arthur Flour, we  sell two different yogurt makers, and this little beauty is a real favorite. The small jars allow you to make individual portions that are totally portable; and the auto shutoff feature is a real hassle-saver.

To ensure that you’re growing only the bacteria that you want in your yogurt, the milk needs to be heated to kill off unwanted bacteria. Use a sturdy, heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat.

You’ll need to heat the milk to a minimum of 180°F, or until it just begins to boil. Remember how we always say it’s hard to photograph with only two hands? This was reading 196°F when I picked up the camera, then rapidly…

Boiled up and over the stove. A classic case of do as I say, NOT as I do. Luckily this was just a matter of seconds, so the milk was off the heat quickly. You don’t want to boil the milk for a long period of time, as this can lead to a grainy texture in your finished yogurt.

If you like your yogurt on the thicker side, a bit of gelatin will help. Use 5 sheets of sheet gelatin, or 1 packet of powdered unflavored gelatin. Soften the gelatin in cool water for several minutes to make incorporating it into the starter easier. I snipped this sheet gelatin so help it along, but it’s not necessary.

Here’s how the gelatin looks as it softens and dissolves in the water. Give it the occasional stir to help it along.

Once the milk has cooled to room temperature, around 77°F or so, you can add the powdered yogurt starter (or 3 tablespoons of store-bought yogurt with live, active cultures) to about 1 cup of the cooled milk.

It’s very important to thoroughly mix the starter in with the milk.

I stir with a spatula. Stir, stir stir.

Then I pour the milk/starter into the rest of the milk.  Stir, stir, stir some more. Then I pour the whole thing back and forth between the bowl and the pitcher a few times, like making a Manhattan.

Use the pitcher to pour the yogurt into the clean, dry jars. I find it much easier to have the jars in the machine as I pour, rather than trying to transfer them from the counter.

Another great feature of this machine is our new top-tier add-on. You can make two batches at once by adding this second level and another set of jars. Think of the possibilities. Plain yogurt for savory recipes on the bottom, sweet vanilla or fruit yogurt on the top layer for smoothies and snackin’.

For today though, we’re just making a single layer.

Then it’s simply plug in, set the timer up to 15 hours, and push the little red button. Glow little button, glow.

In case you’re wondering, the lids weren’t forgotten, they don’t go on until after the yogurt is done incubating.

Just checkin’ in partway through the process. The condensation is normal, and everything looks good.

Once the machine shuts off, you’ll need to unplug it and remove the jars. Place the lids on and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight for the yogurt to cool and finish firming up. Like this!

Now that we’ve got some tangy fresh yogurt, let’s get to the smoothies. Add 6 to 8 ounces (3/4 to 1 cup) yogurt to your blender.

Add 1 cup or so of your favorite fruits. I wish I could say these luscious berries were from my plants, but my crop is pretty small this year. I did buy these  at our local farmstand just down the road.

So, for my Berry Blast, I’m using 3/4 strawberries and 1/4 maraschino cherries. NOT local, but such a favorite of mine I couldn’t resist. Yep, I’m evil to the core.

Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of ice cubes (about 6 regular cubes).

Cover the blender, plug it in and whir on high speed or ice crush for 30to 45 seconds. Stop, unplug, and adjust the milk or fruit to get the consistency you like.

If you like a boost of flavor or sweetness, now is a good time to add a bit of sugar, honey, or even a few drops of extra-strong flavoring.

Re-plug and blend for another 30 to 60 seconds.

**Some blenders will tell you to add the ice cubes after the first blending; be sure to check your manual.**

Pour your smoothie into a fun and frosty glass, add a straw for sipping, and enjoy.

This basic recipe can open up a whole world of possibilities for smoothies. Please share with us your favorite combinations and smoothie tricks.

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Homemade Yogurt Smoothies.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Wei-Wei

Homemade yogurt… it looks amazing. My mom makes her own by adding milk to a live yogurt culture, but it’s quite clumpy and not all that tasty. But I guess it would be nice in a smoothie :D

Wei-Wei
    Hi Wei-Wei,
    I hope the blog helps you and your mom with making your own yogurt. I’m not a big fan of plain yogurt by itself, but you can add sugar and vanilla to the yogurt base before you incubate it for homemade vanilla yogurt.
    ~MaryJane

2. Laura

Yum, I like to make peanut butter banana smoothies, just a banana, a spoonful of peanut butter, and a cup of milk. I’ve also used cocoa powder in it for chocolate flavor. Yum. I make just about all smoothies with a banana because they add sweetness. This looks really good. I have some pineapple sitting around, it must be time to go make a smoothie.

3. Lish

I love making smoothies with the homemade yogurt, and I adore that machine, especially since I got the add-on. My 2 and 3 year olds love the plain yogurt that comes out of it, and I often make Indian or Thai food that calls for plain yogurt, and the homemade works so well in those recipes. I made a smoothie this morning with a jar of yogurt, fresh cherries, ice a few drops of almond extract. Absolutely yummy!
    I can’t wait until my mouth heals and I can use a straw again. I miss my smoothies, and our berries will be ready soon. Shannon used to love “yo-grit” when she was little too. ~ MaryJane

4. William Lundy

Good reading; we, too make our own smoothies as you do, but sans gelatin. We simply “seed” the pot o’milk with about a quarter cup of existing yogourt, and it works out just fine.
    Breakfast in our house for the past 14+ years has featured smmothies 6 days a week, and we’ve come up with a lot of things to include. For the protein required at breakfast, we’ve discovered pepitas (raw, shelled) – at over 20% protein by weight, they’re as good as bacon and eggs without any of the fat. Also, plums, peaches and so forth are pressed into service as they come into season throughout the summer. And when the berry season lamentably ends, we begin using our supply of flash-frozen berries.
    Keep up the great work on this blog!
    Hi William,
    Yes, the gelatin isn’t necessary if you don’t mind a thinner yogurt. I like the thick texture, so in she goes!
    ~ MaryJane

5. KimberlyD

What do you use if you don’t have a yogurt machine? As I read this I am having fresh blue berries in my ceral, makes me think of the time I picked them and made blue berry jam….yummmmm! Enjoy your blogs! A yogurt machine is essentially an incubator that maintains a temperature of about 112*F If you can find a way to incubate your yogurt at a constant temperature of 111-113 *F for several hours that would work

6. Tracey

We make our smoothies with frozen fruit and no ice is needed that way, we do use a little fruit juice.
    Yogurt– it is important to stir and not beat the yogurt. Read your manual for your yogurt maker. Mine requires the lids to be on and undisturbed until cooled in the frig. We just use Greek Yogurt as a starter and add powdered milk to the milk. Homemade yogurt is yummy with honey and fruit of your choice.

7. Lenore

just wondering if anyone has made yogurt with lactose-free milk? I know the theory is that the process of making milk into yogurt eliminates the lactose (good buggies eat it) but my hubby is very sensitive. thanks I have succesfully made it with soy milk.Mary@KAF

8. ATL Cook

I took the left overs from blueberry smoothies and made popsicles.

I am allergic to dairy so I make yogurt with soy milk. Been buying SO coconut milk the last 2 months and will try a batch with it in a few days. I’ll use some soy yogurt as my starter.

I am a maraschino cherry girl too. Sam’s Club sells that big gallon jar; one year’s supply for me.

I bought some frozen pulp at a Hispanic store and am making all kinds of delicious smoothies. Mango is the best. Lulo–not sure what kind of fruit since it is in Spanish and is something that does not grow in Zone 8. The coconut is sure to be good.
    OH man, the big jar of cherries. I’ve had to stop myself so far, as we don’t have room what with the big jar of artichoke hearts and the giant jar of pickles, but maybe I’ll give myself a treat soon. Thanks for the tip!
    ~MaryJane

9. Sharon

You mentioned sweet vanilla yogurt — have you had luck making this? Most recipes tell you to add sweetener after the yogurt is finished; I’ve tried adding a bit of sugar and vanilla to the warm milk but get very inconsistent results (too runny, too grainy, etc). I’d love to duplicate the store-bought vanilla yogurt my kids adore, but too often it fails, unlike my plain yogurt.
    Hi Sharon,
    For a 1 quart batch in the big Yogourmet yogurt maker, I add 1/4 cup sugar and about 1 tablespoon of vanilla to the warm milk before incubating. I definitely use the gelatin and it’s very close to what you buy in the store. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

10. Margo

Well, it may seem obvious, but I have learned that, no matter how much I love smoothies, if I do not like the individual ingredients I will not like the finished result.
    I followed a recipe for a banana mint smoothie once. I know I am not quite normal in this respect, but I really do not like bananas. Everyone raves aboutthem, and they are America’s number 1 fruit, so occasionally I try to overcome my dislike. Hence this smoothie recipe. Blech! Of course, it did not help that I had a shampoo at the time that smelled exactly like this recipe….
    So, the moral of the story is that if you like the fruit plain, you will like your smoothie, if you don’t like it, don’t bother trying it. But I’m sure the rest of you have enough sense already to know that as an obvious truth.
    I hear ya Margo! Sometimes even though I like an ingredient, I can’t bring myself to put it in a smoothie. I love spinach, both raw and cooked, but can’t seem to make the leap to putting it in smoothies, though I’ve seen several recipes calling for it. The mind balks! ~ MaryJane

11. Mrs. Hittle

For those without a yogurt maker: i make yogurt by the quart or pint, in canning jars, and just keep the jars well-insulated while they’re incubating. A cooler will do (i use the soft-sided lunch coolers for this), and it helps the temperature stay stable if you include a jar of hot water in the cooler as well. i’m sure it’d be easier with a yogurt maker, but i have a truly unbelievable amount of gadgets and appliances, and my poor kitchen just can’t take another, and this method does work. FYI: Your own homemade yogurt will work as a starter for the next batch. After a few batches, it loses its potency, but it’ll work quite nicely for four or five batches.

i haven’t made any yogurt in awhile, and i think i need to get on that– these smoothies sound great. i’ve been making my smoothies lately with just fruit and whole milk, but this sounds so good!
    Thanks SO much for sharing, I’m sure others will find this very helpful. Have a fun time smoothie-ing. ~ MaryJane

12. Allie

Some of my favorite smoothie combinations:

Frozen pineapple, frozen strawberries, and orange juice.
    Frozen banana, frozen blueberries, and orange juice.
    Frozen banana, peanut butter, and cold rice milk.
    Frozen banana, frozen pineapple, and orange juice.

I sometimes add some flaxseed meal or brown sugar or both to the peanut butter banana combination. Smoothies are wonderful after my long runs (10-13 miles) on Saturdays.
    I’ll have to give the rice milk one a try. I love rice milk chocolate for it’s light smooth texture, so this would be another great way to try it. Thanks! ~ MaryJane

13. Chloe

@KimberlyD: if you have an older oven with a pilot light, you can use that to incubate the yogurt. Just put the jars on a baking sheet to keep them stable and put the sheet on the rack that’s closest to your pilot light (mine’s at the bottom). Leave the yogurt like this overnight; then put it in the fridge to let it thicken. You can strain it in a cheesecloth lined colander for a few more hours if you like a really thick texture close to Greek yogurt or labne.

14. Heather

My husband is from Turkey, where it is very common to make your own yogurt. I try hard, but with mixed success…I think the last box of yogurt starter I bought was from a bad batch so I’ve been in a slump lately. When I do make it, I usually pour it into a covered glass dish, wrapped in a thick towel, and put it in the oven with the light on overnight. For people with gas stoves, the pilot light is usually enough to keep it warm. I really want a non-electric way to make yogurt, though, so I’ll have to try Mrs. Hittle’s method!

Also, I’ve found that ultra-pasteurized milk doesn’t give as good a result as just plain pasteurized. I’d be interested to know if anyone else has found the same thing, or if it’s all in my mind…

15. Chloe

@KimberlyD: If you have an oven with a pilot light, you can incubate your yogurt in there. Just put the jars on a baking sheet to keep them stable, and put the baking sheet on the rack closest to the light (mine’s on the bottom). Leave them like this overnight, then put the jars in the fridge so that the yogurt thickens. If you would like an even thicker texture (like Greek yogurt or labne), strain the yogurt in a cheesecloth lined colander.

(Sorry if this is a repeat–I don’t think the initial comment posted)

16. Holly

Loved this entry as I recently began having smoothies for my breakfast instead of cereal. Has anyone tried using raw goat’s milk to make yogurt? I was recently given a Salton yogurt maker (Model YM-4) but have been unsuccessful at getting a good batch. :-( Pasteurized whole cow’s milk worked but as I’m lactose intolerant I’d like to use the goat milk.

Anyway, just wondering if raw goat’s milk has ever been successful with either of the yogurt makers KAF is recommending.

Many Thanks!
    Hi Holly,
    I haven’t tried goat’s milk at all, sorry. I’ll post this in case someone has tips and hints. Anyone??? ~ MaryJane

17. Cathie

You can preheat a crockpot crock with steamy hot water, pour in your hot milk, stir in the starter, put on the lid, and place the crock into an oven preheated on the “warm” setting. TURN THE OVEN OFF, lol–you don’t want to bake the milk! Anyhow, 8 hours undisturbed should see you with good yogurt. Then chill as usual.

18. fer

A good way to add nutrition and sweetness to a smoothie is with the addition of a tablespoon or two of frozen orange juice concentrate. Remember that stuff from the days before we bought it in cartons? Yep, you can still get it.

Indulge me w/ a quick grandma story: One of my granddaughter’s first words was ‘acoo’ which meant ‘yogurt’. We always wondered where she got ‘acoo’ for ‘yogurt’. She’s now just turned 3 and was helping her mom make the grocery list recently. She said, “What’s that stuff? …….that stuff I call acoo?” My daughter said, “Yogurt?” “Yes, yogurt,” said granddaughter, “…..why do I call it ‘acoo’?” Darn, we thought she knew! :)
    Too funny! Thanks for the giggle! ~ MaryJane

19. Summer

I make my own greek yogurt weekly by straining homemade yogurt in a cheese cloth. After this I have also found that blending it in the blender for a few seconds gives it a very smooth and creamy texture similar to what you would purchase off the shelf.
    Thanks for the tip. I just heard the same thing about ricotta cheese. A quick whirl makes for a silkier, creamier lasagna. Whirl away! ~ MaryJane

20. Sarah

Perfect timing on this post! I just got a yogurt maker and made my very first batch of homemade yogurt last night. I love it! Thanks for the tip on using gelatin to make a thicker textured yogurt. I used some nonfat powdered milk which worked pretty well, but will give the gelatin a try next time.

21. lynn

Gelatin! Obviously! While I enjoy my home-made yogurt, it’s never as thick as I’d like (I want my spoon to stand up) and gelatin would certainly help.

22. Lish

We have used raw goat’s milk to make yogurt, and it was fantastic, really rich and creamy and my kids loved it. We are very lucky that we live near a goat farm that sells both raw and pasteurized goat milk and they both work well, though I suggest the powdered starter if you are using goat milk. It works much better than using the yogurt as a starter.

23. UglyGerbil

Great timing, I’m actually drinking a strawberry banana smoothie made with my own homemade yogurt right now!

I don’t have a yogurt maker, I use old quart yogurt containers & incubate them on a heating pad turned to medium. Wrap them loosely in a towel to help keep the heat in.

I use water instead of milk in my smoothies so it’s more like a lassi. Also, a little King Arthur rosewater and / or lime oil are amazing additions!

24. Mimi

My husband and I used to make our own yogurt without a yogurt incubator. We found that the absolute lowest heat setting on our electric stove would hold the mixture at 118 degrees for the minimum 6 hours it took to make the yogurt. Now we have the Eurocuisine model and we love it! When we moved, our stove was hotter and we had to buy the machine to properly make the yogurt. I didn’t realize you could by a top tier addition, though. Now I can make 2 batches at a time and only sweeten one! I usually sweeten the yogurt after I make it. I put the yogurt in a yogurt strainer overnight to firm it up, then use honey and vanilla bean paste to make make wonderful yogurt to eat with fruit for breakfast!

25. Carly

I WORSHIP homemade yogurt. I make it every week with the oven-pilot-light method and the cheesecloth-straining method so that it turns out very thick. I seriously think it is the best food ever created and I could eat it at every meal. Not exaggerating. It’s luxurious. If you want the creamiest yogurt you will ever have, take the strained Greek yogurt you’ve made after all the whey has drained off and blend it with a bit of milk. Best everrrr.

26. JoAnn

Gelatin sounds great but I have 2 questions:
    How much cool water would you dissolve 1 packet of gelatin in?
    When do you add it to the milk? After the starter?

You guys are the best! I have learned so much from your blog. Keep up the good work!I usually dissolve it in 2 tablespoons of cold water, then stir it into a small portion of the hot milk to fully dissolve it, then stir that into the hot milk . cool the milk, add the starter and let it incubate. Mary@KAF

27. karin

I have been making my own yoghurt for some time now. If I want my yoghurt to be thicker I use à spion of low fat milkpowder. Just mix it in with the starter and it will do the trick.

28. Gretchen

Heather, it’s not all in your mind. Ultra-pastuerized milk does not work as well. (For me, it didn’t work at all.)

My biggest challenge has been figuring out how to make a large batch. I’d like more than one or two servings for the labor that goes into scalding the milk, etc., and I have two young men with large appetites still at home. As my oven does not have a pilot light, I’ve resorted to my 18 qt. roaster oven. (It did take some time and some fiddling around to find where to set the temp to keep it between 105-110 degrees F.) I fill a 4 qt. crock pot 3/4 or so full with milk, on High, until it reaches 180 degrees. (No close monitoring needed!) Stir in 3/4 c. nonfat dry milk, place crock liner in sink filled with cold water to cool. Add a single serving container of Greek yogurt (containing only milk and active live yogurt cultures) to 1 c. cooled milk (105-110 degrees), mix till smooth, then add to crock and stir well. Place crock of milk into roaster oven, on a small rack, for 5-8 hrs, or more if you like it tangier, refrigerate until cool. This is gives me enough firm, “spoon standing up” yogurt to last all four of us for a week, although that may change when we start making smoothies!

Something I haven’t figured out yet, though, is why it would lose that nice firm texture and become runny when I add sweetener and vanilla. Of course adding a liquid will cause some of that, but it gets runnier the longer the mix sits in the refrigerator, which I don’t understand. Any ideas? I think the sugar and the alcohol in the vanilla break down the cell walls, but I’m not a chemist. Anybody have any ideas? Mary@ KAF

29. HMB

You can also make yogurt in a large Thermos — I have a quart size one that works great for that. I also have a yogurt maker similar to the one you sell for making individual-size portions.
    Another way besides gelatin to thicken your yogurt is to add about a quarter cup of powdered milk per quart of liquid milk. Or strain the yogurt once it’s cooled for a really thick yogurt cheese, and use the whey in baking or to drink.
    One of my favorite gadgets for yogurt making is a timer you can set to go off when something cools to a particular temp. I tend to forget about the milk while I am waiting for it to cool off to add the starter. I stick in the probe, set the temp and add the starter when I hear the beep.

30. AJ

I love orange smoothies. I use yoghurt, a bit of frozen orange juice concentrate and a slice or two of a good sweet cantalope and a good dollop of vanilla frozen yoghurt. Or, a cupful of frozen strawberries.
    Oh dear, wish it was breakfast time!

31. Olga

Yogurt smoothies are a staple at our house as are the yogurt parfaits. I use frozen fruits (strawberries, blueberries, bananas, pineapple, 2 tbsp. flaxseed meal, and vanilla yogurt. If I use plain, I add a little honey. I only use ice if my fruits aren’t frozen. My cardiologist uses my concoction ‘recipe’, too. Keeps us going until noon. The parfaits a regular on camping trips, use flaxseed meal and nuts and granola in layers. The gelatin just doesn’t sound very appetizing to me.

32. Vanessa

I make homemade yogurt in the microwave. I use 2% lowfat (or vitamin D) milk. I heat the milk in the microwave and let it cool slightly, then I add plain yogurt as a starter. I put it back in the microwave (since it is still warm from the hot milk) and leave it overnight. If it is not think enough or did not set correctly the next morning. I warm up the oven and put the batch in there for about an hour or so (only warmup the oven and then turn it off). Refrigerate after that. I will try the gelation next time since I like my yogurt firm.

33. Lee

Love this posting! I’ve been so curious about this yogurt maker ever since seeing it in the catalog. I appreciate the close up tour! I’ve been making homemade yogurt with the quart jar method for awhile. Started using raw cow’s milk (so I don’t heat it beyond 114 degrees or it will kill the good enzymes that make it so gentle to digest!) and make a silky smooth yogurt with that. I’ve also had good luck making it into vanilla yogurt. What I really want to know how to do is to make the fruit flavored yogurt that isn’t fruit on the bottom but rather non-chunky fruit flavored through and through. Don’t tell me to use Kool-aid or Jello – I don’t do artificial flavors.
    I make a lot of kefir, more than I do yogurt. It is less temperature sensitive and also packs a load more probiotics. We use it to make our smoothies with too. Some favorite combos – frozen banana, fresh bing cherries, raw honey and a drop of vanilla extract; frozen banana, honeydew and fresh pressed ginger juice (use a clean garlic press and a slice of fresh ginger and squeeze it into the blender!)
    If you don’t like bananas but still want creamy then use avocado. Same texture without the banana flavor. I also put in a leaf of kale every so often to get my leafy greens without having to cook a big pot. Ithink the fruit must be stirred in after it is made, but I don’t know the secret to keeping it from separating when you stir it. Do any of our readers have any suggestions? mary@KAf

34. Cindy

I use my crockpot to make my yogurt. It gets a bit too warm if left on so I turn it to low and let the innoculated milk come up to about 120 degrees on my instant-read thermometer and turn it off until it cools to just below 110 degrees. I start it in the morning when I’ll be around to tend it. After about 6-8 hours it is thick and I turn it off and let it set until it is room temperature, then I chill it overnight. I make 2 quarts at a time and use it in MANY recipes.

I drink 2% milk but use whole milk for my yogurt. I also drain it in a cloth-lined strainer over a bowl in my fridge. Then I have yogurt cheese to use instead of sour cream and cream cheese and whey to use as the liquid in my next batch of bread!

35. Christine

for really rich yogurt, i make it with a quart of half and half with a tsp or so of powdered milk… soo good, almost as thick as greek yogurt without the straining… the culture i use also says you can make it with heavy cream… i’m VERY reluctant to try that, ya know, eating 3/4 cup of heavy cream in a single serving…lightly sweetened with fresh strawberries… in a smoothie…. oh, dear… but if you want me to try and get back to you, i will… all in the name of educating my fellow KAF blogophiles ;)

36. Sarah

I used to make yogurt using a wide mouth thermos. It only made a pint at a time, but that was all I needed.

37. KimberlyD

Thank you Chloe for the tip on the oven. Also I like the idea of using a crock pot that Cathie metioned. And all the other tips being giving in the other post. This is a great blog, you get so much helpful info from everyone from the posters to the replies from the KAF staff.

38. Annapurna Moffatt

You can also use powdered milk to thicken yogurt. It works really well (since my family is vegetarian, we wouldn’t dream of using gelatin–I doubt Mom would even let it in the house).

39. Ray H. Ring

Hi, How much milk are you using in your directions? One Litre or a quart?
    Thanks.
    Ray – For a single layer, 1 quart. Elisabeth @ KAF

40. Maggie

I wanted to mention for any lactose sensitive readers that straining yogurt through coffee filters or cheesecloth to make the thicker Greek yogurt removes a lot of the lactose in the whey. If you strain your yogurt a full 24h and make sure your yogurt isn’t sitting in the whey as it drains, your yogurt will be very thick and luscious. Depending on your level of lactose sensitivity, removing the whey may be enough to bring yogurt back to your menu!
    Another thing I heard is that Greek yogurt doesn’t have as much calcium as regular yogurt because removing the whey also removes some, not all, of the calcium. I still prefer wonderfully thick Greek yogurt, though.

41. Lish

I make this all the time and put the required amount of fat free milk in a large glass batter bowl that has a pour spout in the microwave. I have a beverage setting that you can adjust to the ounces of liquid, I use that. When it comes out I whisk in powdered fat free milk, let it cool some, and then add the powdered starter. It comes out thick and creamy and is really easy to do this way. I also set the timer to the max setting. If I am making Greek or Indian recipes that require really thick yogurt, or a cheese spread I take 2 or 3 jars and empty them into a cheesecloth lined colander in a large bowl. I use the whey instead of milk or other liquid in muffins or bread, and end up with superthick yogurt that is great for making tzatziki.
    WOW! Thanks for sharing. I’ve never tried heating the milk in the microwave but it sounds like something to put on the “to do” list. ~ MaryJane

42. V Reed

I love the idea of making my own yogurt. My kids love yogurt and making my own is a great way to control the sugar, which doesn’t like me. Question…when scalding the milk, if I add a vanilla bean to the milk before it heats and then remove it before blending the gelatin, would this infuse enough flavor that I don’t have to add sweetener and extract later?
    I guess it kinda depends on how strong you like the flavor to be. I’d give it a try and see how you like it. You can always add more vanilla next time. Let us know how it goes. ~ MaryJane

43. Elaine

Gotta love smoothies! – you should also try honeydew melon, cucumber and mint combo – its good I promise!
    Hi Lainey! Well, after 25 years, I guess I should trust you. I’ll give it a try. Hope you had a delightful birthday and got a good chuckle from the card. Hope to see you soon! xo ~ MaryJane

44. Heather

I didn’t think to add this before, but a great way to use whey strained from thickened yogurt is to make ayran — just stir some of the yogurt back in along with a pinch of salt to make a creamy, delicious drink. It’s similar to an Indian lassi. It took me awhile to get used to it, but there’s nothing better than an icy cold glass of ayran on these sweltering summer days!