Peanut butter marshmallow pie: Fluffernutter-tastic!

fluffernutter-pie

As a food nation, we love to meet new people from different regions and introduce them to our local specialties. In my travels I’ve been introduced to grits and oysters  in Florida, guava jelly and surullitos in Puerto Rico, and  Joe-Joe potatoes in Rhode Island (I think that’s where we were that day; please correct me if I’m wrong).

My baking and cooking co-workers here at KAF have introduced  regional and cultural favorites such as Taylor ham, sweet chili sauce, white pizza, persimmons, and truffle oil. Some I’ve liked, some I’ve met with a big  “blechh,” and some are now standards in my own kitchen.

I’ve done my share, too, of introducing friends to local favorites. Are you old enough to remember when Ben and Jerry’s was a new thing, something you would buy when friends were coming to dinner, dessert designed to impress?  I sure am.

Here in New England, we love to introduce new friends to the (to us) quintessential lunchtime treat, the Fluffernutter. I know PJ and Susan and I have all probably waxed nostalgic about Fluffernutters on the blog before, but just in case you missed it let me tell you about it again.

A Fluffernutter is a sandwich of peanut butter and Marshmallow Fluff served on squishy white bread. The salty peanut butter, the sweet and foamy Fluff and the bread all sticking to the roof of your mouth is a taste and texture sensation not to be missed. Packing a Fluffernutter for lunch always meant a plastic sandwich baggie with sticky Fluff in the corners as it escaped from the confines of the bread. Licking the creamy white sweetness from the bag was nearly as fun as eating the sandwich itself.

I would consider Fluffernutters on the list for DO NOT EAT on a first date, right up there with spaghetti and liver, but definitely on the list for a fourth or fifth date so see if you are suitably matched. Anyone who couldn’t get into the groove of licking fingers, possibly elbows, and enduring a bit of Fluff in their hair wouldn’t work out too well, in my opinion.

As much as I love Fluffernutters, I’ve never really craved one for dessert; but I do so love peanut butter pie. In the way that lots of our food conversations go here, we were talking about peanut butter pie and someone mentioned topping theirs with Fluff instead of whipped cream. OHH, I could feel a blog brewing here. Knowing how sticky Fluff is, though, I couldn’t imagine layering it easily; so I started thinking about mixing the PB and fluff together into a mousse-like filling. Now we were gettin’ somewhere!

A graham crust sounded like a delicious addition – but how about homemade instead of store-bought? Our whole wheat pastry flour is also known as graham flour, so a quick, easy pie crust using that flour quickly followed, and the Peanut Butter Marshmallow Pie was born. Let’s get to it!

This pie crust is very different from traditional pie crust. It’s more closely related to cookie dough in preparation. For those classical bakers out there, it’s quite similar to pâte sucreè, (paht sue-cray)  with butter, sugar, milk, and egg.

Begin with creaming the butter, sugar, and salt in the bowl of your mixer until light and fluffy.

Add the egg yolk and beat until well combined.

Add 1 cup of the graham flour. At first the mixture will be quite sandy.

But it’ll soon come together to a smooth batter.

Have you been keeping an eye on that butter on the beater? Me too, I’d better scrape my bowl and beater more often.

Add the milk and the second cup of graham flour. Mix until a soft, slightly firm dough forms.

Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for 8 to 10 turns until the dough is smooth and cohesive. Divide into two even pieces, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for several hours or overnight.

(I did try this dough both with and without refrigeration. You can roll it right away, but you do get a nicer, crisper texture with the chilled dough. Less sticking, too!)

Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 3/8” thick. To aid in moving the dough to the pie pan, first fold the circle in half,

then in half again. You’ll have a fat, four-layer quarter circle.

Lift the dough and place the tip of the pointed wedge in the center of your pie pan. I’ve spritzed my pan with a light layer of cooking spray.

Unfold the layers until the crust is open again. Gently fit it to the pan without pulling or stretching, as this would cause the crust to shrink later. Fix any tears with your fingers.

This dough is very soft and tender – like cookie dough – and is a delight to handle. There were ooohhs and ahhhhs in the test kitchen from my fellow bakers as I worked with the dough, and everyone literally had to get a finger in as we took turns poking and pinching the dough.

Trim the crust with a paring knife or your handy-dandy safety scissors. This pretty pie pan has fluted edges build right in, so I didn’t have to do anything but trim.

Dock (prick) the dough all over with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming in the crust, and to allow steam to escape.

Add a pie crust shield to protect the tender edges, and into the oven she goes.

Mmmm, golden brown and delicious. As you can see, there was hardly any shrinkage to the crust too, leaving a nice deep space to fill with PBM goodness.

Set the crust aside to cool completely while we make the filling.

Here are some of the star players in this pie. Creamy peanut butter, sweet fluffy Marshmallow Fluff and Instant ClearJel blended with a touch of sugar.

You’ll need heavy cream and fat-free half & half, too.

In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream and fat-free half & half until it begins to hold a trail.

You can certainly use all cream for the recipe, but taste testers really liked the lightness that the fat-free half & half brought to the party.

Add the sugar/Instant ClearJel mixture, the peanut butter, and the Fluff.

Whip on high speed until light, fluffy, and thickened.

Prepare the crust by spreading a little peanut butter in the bottom.

Pile in the PBM filling. It’s a very generous amount of filling, so really heap it in there.

Cover the pie with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight.

For another tasty version, try Matt’s PBMJ pie. Matt is the “new guy” here in customer service, and we just love him. He’s a great baker in his own right, and loves to talk food. He suggested the original pie would be even better with a big blob of jelly, so I decided to give him his wish.

Spread half of the PBM filling into the pie shell; make some swirls and depressions with your spoon.

Fill the holes with your favorite jam or jelly. I’m pretty partial to red raspberry.

Give the whole thing a good final swirl with the spatula and top with the second half of the filling. Cover and chill as directed above.

Whichever way you customize your Peanut Butter Marshmallow Pie, its gentle reminder of lunches in days gone by will please the palate and soothe the soul.

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Peanut Butter Marshmallow Pie.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Lish

Peanut butter and fluff is a staple in my kitchen, and makes a special lunch treat for my kids and for me. To make it into a pie sounds brilliant and fabulous, and I always have everything needed to make it. I just may have to try this on the weekend when we have some friends over so I am not overly tempted to eat the whole pie, as I am sure I would. I have always been partial to a bit of marshmallow fluff on top of my ice cream, especially peanut butter ice cream that I used to make, with a swirl of chocolate in it. Heavenly!
    Hey Lish, any chance of your sharing the ice cream recipe? Ice cream is my all time favorite food and the PB and chocolate version sounds fantastic! ~ MaryJane

2. Miss Rachel P.

Oh, my! :D It looks soo delicious! :D My family are HUGE fluffernutter fans! ;) I am really going to have to surprise them with one (or two) of these pies! :D Very creative of you! :) Thanks so much! :D

Blessings!
    ~Miss Rachel~
    I’d go with the two pies, they disappeared fast here each time I made them. Have a great time!
    ~ MaryJane

3. Terri A.

Peanut butter pie is one of my favorite desserts! I can’t wait to try this – no jelly for me, though. Love PBJ, but love my PB pie unadulterated!
    It’s all good Terri, enjoy it your way! ~ MaryJane

4. Maria

Good Morning!
    My husband and I just spent all afternoon Saturday at the King Arthur Store in Norwich, VT!
    We perused the store for quite a while and brought home lots of goodies! I can’t wait to use my apple peeler this fall to help with our backyard apple harvest!
    My family woke up Sunday morning to scones for breakfast and yesterday, I wrote a post about our visit …
    What a great time we had!

I just added your newly found blog to my sidebar so as not to miss a baking tip or recipe! I’ve used your ‘graham flour’ before but never thought to use it for a pie crust… I’ve always loved baking but oh, do I have lots to learn!

Thank you for sharing this recipe and for the wonderfully detailed photos!

Wishing you and everyone at King Arthur Flour a summer filled with blessings!
    ~Maria

Thanks for your comments, and your wonderful blog post, Maria! So glad you enjoyed your visit here – and discovered our blog! -Allison@KAF

5. HMB

My little niece and nephew are arriving this week from Germany for a month’s visit — this sounds like a great All-American treat to make for them!
    Have a great visit, and I hope they enjoy the pie. ~ MaryJane

6. Rebecca

This sounds really good! I think a layer of banana between the peanut butter and fluff would be even better
    Great minds think alike Rebecca, that version was on my list to try too! Let us know if you make it how it comes out. ~ MaryJane

7. AJ

My son loves peanut butter pies and I think I’ll add this one to our
    collection. He favors his in chocolate crusts. I make or buy chocolate
    crumb crusts but I’d like to have a chocolate pastry crust. I know you
    have a Cafe Au Latte version-any chance of KAF developing a chocolate
    version? I’ve found recipes on-line but I’d like your “twist” on it. I’ll pass that suggestion on to our recipe team.Mary@KAF

8. Michelle

Oooooohhh…. I’ll have to make this to win over my boss! Peanut butter is her FAVE! :) Thanks for posting!
    Hmmm, maybe a raise to go along with the pie? Good luck! ~ MaryJane

9. Natalie

I want to make this for my bookclub tomorrow! There’s no chance of getting ClearJel in time – is there a do-able substitue I can use? In a pinch you might be able to use unflavored gelatin which you dissolve in some water before you add it to the peanut butter. The pie would need several hours chilling time for the gelatin to set. We haven’t tried this variation, so it would be an experiment. Let us know how it goes so that others can learn along. Mary@ KAF

10. Jeanne from NJ

Not a big fan of peanuts, but I can’t wait to use this crust recipe! I like the flavor of graham cracker crusts, but hate the crumbly, grainy texture. Also, there’s always that feeling that I’m somehow cheating if I use a box of crackers or a bag of crumbs to line a pie plate instead of making a “real” pie crust. Does this crust have that same graham cracker taste? It seems as if it would be perfect for key lime pie! I don’t think it is quite as sweet as a graham cracker crust. Mary@ KAF

Hi Jeanne,
    Mary’s right, it’s not quite as sweet as a traditional graham cracker crust, but you still get the nice graham taste. I really like this crust and I’m going to try it with coconut cream and custard pies too. ~ MaryJane

11. Jenn in Willi CT

My husband is away on business, so dinner last night was a Fluffernutter for me :-) I will have to give this pie a try someday – maybe for an upcoming family picnic, so I’m not tempted to eat it all myself.
    Hi Jenn,
    Maybe you could make it as a welcome home treat for your honey. Hope he’s home soon. ~ MaryJane

12. Jocelyn in South Oz

Hiya! Marshmallow Fluff has only just made a recent appearance on our supermarket shelves in Australia so I can’t say I’ve used it in either a sandwich or in a pie!

Unfortunately I’m quite allergic to peanuts (including peanut butter), so I’m wondering would it be possible to do a chocolate version?
    You could try one of the seed butters that are available. We find these in food coops and natural food stores here in this country. Also take a look at this yummy recipe: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-chocolate-hazelnut-pie-recipe JMD@KAF

13. Jennine Quiring

looks good enough for the California state fair this week I have a new blog about entrering things in the fair. I am 73 years old and also go to baking school to get to my blog go to

You GO girl! We should all be so lucky and adventurous as you, no matter what age. Best of luck with the blog and the fair. ~ MaryJane

14. Cyn

Oh, my. That looks yummy! OK, now this might be going over the top (since it’s sweet anyway)…what about a Nutella version with, of course, some of the Nutella spread on the bottom of the crust? Also, thanks for the suggestion about possibly using unflavored gelatin in place of the ClearJel. Definitely worth trying!
    Rock the Nutella Cyn! I bet it would be fantastic! ~ MaryJane

15. Jennie Bartlett

If you ever get that peanut butter ice cream recipe, I would love to have it. The graham flour crust sounds like a winner and can’t wait to try it. I have a peanut butter banana pie recipe that it would surely be even better with the graham flour crust.

16. Cecelia

Wow! This looks REALLY GOOD!
    However… would it be possible to substitute something like 7 minute frosting for the marshmallow fluff? (We don’t usually keep fluff around the house)
    Keep up the baking!
    Hi Cecelia,
    Sorry, I don’t think the frosting would hold up in the recipe. I hope you give the Fluff a try, it’s a great combination.
    ~ MaryJane

17. FRAN S

THIS LOOKS REALLY GREAT! MY SON LOVES PEANUT BUTTER PIE TOO SO I WILL GIVE THIS A TRY. WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE FOR THE FLOUR IN THE CRUST SO I CAN MAKE THIS TODAY?
    I HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR MEASURING PEANUT BUTTER AND FLUFF. THOSE CYLINDER SHAPED MEASURING CUPS THAT PUSH UP FROM THE BOTTOM LIKE A PUSH POP WORK GREAT FOR MEASURING STICKY THINGS LIKE PEANUT BUTTER, FLUFF, CRISCO, MAYO ETC. I LOVE MINE.
    Hi Fran,
    If you really need to make the pie today, you can use any crust recipe on our site, or your favorite regular crust, and save the graham crust for next time. ~ MaryJane

Readers, we sell the measuring cups Fran describes – Adjusta-Cups, check ’em out. PJH

18. Jenn in Willi CT

Can pie filling enhancer be used in place of the ClearJel? I think they are similar, but the enhancer already has sugar as well.
    Hi Jenn,
    Yes, I think you could use the pie filling enhancer to replace the sugar and Clear Jel. It does have a tough of citric acid in it, so it might change the flavor of the pie just a touch. Let us know how it goes if you give it a try. ~ MaryJane

19. Terri Illes

Wow! How about a twist on Matt’s idea. Gently warm some fruit preserve and serve over top, (with a little hot fudge!)
    Oh, yeah bring it on! ~ MaryJane

20. Lisa

This looks great! I am a big chocolate / peanut butter fan as well. How would I change the recipe to make a chocolate graham cracker crust? I would add chopped Reeses Peanut Butter Cups along with the chopped peanuts to the topping – sound good? :)I would try exchanging 2 or 3 tablespoons of cocoa for the same amount of flour for the crust. yup, peanut butter cups would put it over the top! Have fun with it! Mary@KAF

21. Kristen

I still remember the day when I gathered all four of my sons together in the kitchen and introduced them to fluffernutter sandwiches. I tried to impress upon them what an occasion it was; that they were joining an elite group of people who enjoyed such sandwiches. My husband, a Seattlite, looked at me as though I’d lost my mind. He obviously has not spent much time back East!

What a treat to see it in pie form.
    Kristen, that reminds me of when my dad would sit us kids down and try to get us to have sardines with him. We would usually find some excuse to leave. He finally gave up on us and shared with the cat. The time he shared butter pecan ice cream with me was much more of a success, and I do remember how special I felt that he shared such a grown up treat with me. Thanks for sharing!
    ~ MaryJane

22. Carley

I don’t ever keep marshmallow fluff around the house either but I was bound and determined to not leave the house but to make this pie the minute I saw it. I dug out my candy thermometer and made homemade marshmallow fluff then made the recipe with it!! Best peanut butter pie I have had in a really long time!! Thank you for the recipe!

23. KimberlyD

Could I use Signature Secrets instead of ClearJel?
    Hey there,
    I haven’t tried making the cream pies with Signature Secrets. I find it a bit grainy at times. You might want to try just using it to thicken and stabilize a small batch of whipped cream first. Let us know how it goes. ~ MaryJane

24. Eulalia

Wonderful look! In my country we have not such a “Marshmallow Fluff”. Any idea on a substitute to try? I can imagine it is, along with PB, the heart of the pie… But cannont resist trying it even if it is just far from the original!

Thanks for so many baking ideas that keep my family testing and coming happily to the kitchen everyday!
    Hi Eulalia,
    There are many recipes online for homemade fluff using common ingredients. Try http://www.allrecipes.com or a Google search. Good luck! ~ MaryJane

25. Kim

I would like to try this pie but am currently living in abroad in a country without marshmallow fluff (or peanut butter for that matter). Someone commented on making their own marshmallow fluff though. Can you recommend a good recipe for this? Thanks!
    I’ve seen lots of recipes online for homemade fluff. Try http://www.allrecipes.com, they have nice recipes and a good rating and review system. Happy hunting! ~ MaryJane

26. Lish

I will absolutely post the peanut butter ice cream recipe, but it will take me a couple of days, as our kitchen is torn up putting in a new floor, and all my cookbooks and recipes are in boxes piled in my dining room! But it will be here soon, so worth the wait!
    Ohhhh, we are just dancing with excitement. Take your time though, no need to get all hot and bothered in this heat wave. Thanks so much, and we look forward to the recipe. ~ MaryJane & everyone else.

27. Alexandra

OK, I was debating about trying this recipe to bring to my in-law’s on Sunday since I don’t have graham flour or ClearJel. I’m rethinking this now after reading all the comments and suggestions for substituting. Thanks, everyone!

28. Kay Harline

Your pie looks delicious. When I was watching the Galoping Gourmet once he had a great suggestion for putting the crust in the pie pan. Roll out the dough and then gently roll up the dough on the rolling pin. Carry it to the pie pan and unroll it over the pan. Has worked every time for me and doesn’t break. Just and FYI.
    Hi Kay,
    I used to move all my pie crusts that way until I got a snappy rolling pin with ball bearings. Now it rolls so smoothly I’ve had my crust unravel like a roll of TP on the way to the pie pan! :) ~ MaryJane

29. Allison Furbish

Mmmmmmm. I’m going to save this recipe for sometime when I need to score points with the hubby! :-)

Are you kidding? Just point to that beautiful baby you gave him, and SCORE! Make the pie for yourself you hard workin’ Mama you. :) ~ MaryJane

30. Brenda

One of these days, may have to make your upcoming butterscotch pie with this crust in the chocolate version, maybe replace 1/2 cup of brown sugar in the filling with 1/2 tablespoon molasses to keep the flavor and reduce sweetness, and top with a meringue so egg whites wouldn’t be wasted. Maybe try a walnut & meringue crust filled with softened coffee ice cream, possibly topped with ganache, and definitely topped with lots of the strawberries I just froze. How would a baked meringue crust freeze, or would it be necessary to scare up enough people to eat right away?
    It will be best to invite company to enjoy the pie-unfortunately meringue will not freeze well. JMD@KAF

31. Tom Mix

I’d like to try this but I notice a few out of the ordinary ingredients like graham flour, clear jel (which I happen to have) and fat free half which I have never heard of. And I don’t understand the combination of HEAVY cream and FAT FREE half and half. What’s up with that?

Anyway, I’d be inclined to try it with a simple graham cracker crust to which no one would object, I’m sure.

The beauty of baking at home is the ability to adapt or adjust a recipe to fit your personal preference or pantry inventory.

The blend of ingredients is selected to produce a smooth velvety filling. To do that the amount of fat in the recipe is critcal. If you use all heavy cream, there is a real danger of the filling breaking/dashing out butter when mixed. That is the reason to use non-fat to finish out the amount needed. Frank @ KAF.

32. Lish

Finally finished the kitchen floor, and putting cookbooks back, so here is the peanut butter ice cream recipe, so good!

1 1/2 cups milk
    1 1/2 cups medium whipping or light cream (heavy cream is usually too heavy)
    1/2 to 2/3 cups sugar, I prefer a little less sweet
    3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    Blend all together in a blender until smooth, creamy and thoroughly mixed. Chill in fridge at least 30 minutes. Longer is better. Freeze in your ice cream machine. Towards the end of freezing pour in melted chocolate chips or chocolate ganache if desired. This is one of my favorite ice creams. Hope you like it!
    This looks great and simple to make also-thank you for sharing. JMD@KAF

I second that emotion. Thanks Lish! ~ MaryJane

33. Deb Zemek

They have Fluff in Australia but not in the western US? Life is so unfair…fortunately my family lives in New England so I’ll hit someone up for some. We have marshmallow cream here in Utah but it’s just not the same…now I want a fluffernutter!

34. milkwithknives

Sorry, I know this is an elderly entry, but what do you think about using this crust on the old fashioned apple slab pie? I rarely have a reason to make pie, but I have been dying to try this crust out, and I think I want to take the apple slab to our Halloween potluck in a few weeks. Two birds, one stone, maybe? Or is this crust ill-suited for the slab?
    Hi there,
    I don’t think this is the best crust to use with the slab, sorry. How about a nice apple pie with struesel topping? ~ MaryJane