Make French macarons at home? Mais oui!

Macarons: the French confection that’s sweeping the nation.

Or, the right and left coasts, anyway. Maybe Chicago?

Actually, I’m not sure where else these colorful cookies have landed just yet. They certainly haven’t made it up to our neck of the woods. Last time I checked Lou’s Bakery, I didn’t see them nestled in among the mile-high apple pies and sugar crullers.

So if you want to try macarons, you might have to order them online.

One problem. The first two sites I checked selling macarons offered them at $8.00 for four, and $22.00 for 15, respectively – before shipping.

HELLO. Guess if I want macarons, I’d best make them myself!

And actually, they’re not hard. Yeah, they’re a bit fussy, with some sifting and whisking and filling required. And, with boiling sugar syrup involved, they’re absolutely not something you make with kids or dogs in the kitchen.

But they’re totally do-able. Just follow these directions, and you’ll be enjoying crisp/chewy macarons in no time at all.

And without shelling out big bucks.

Sound good? Let’s get started.

There are a couple of out-of-the-ordinary ingredients you’ll need for these cookies. Almond flour (finely ground blanched almonds) gives them body; without almond flour, these cookies would be simple meringues.

Can you make your own almond flour by grinding blanched almonds in a food processor? No; they need to be ground in a special way that prevents them from becoming oily.

Cream of tartar stabilizes beaten egg whites, allowing meringue to hold and keep its shape. Substitute Bakewell Cream (Bakewell Cream – NOT Bakewell Cream baking powder), if you have it.

First step: Measure out 1 1/2 cups almond flour by stirring, then gently sprinkling into a measuring cup. If you have a scale, this is easy: weigh out 4 ounces.

Pour into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add 1 cup (4 ounces) confectioners’ sugar.

Process for 20 seconds.

Sift to remove any large pieces, and to aerate the mixture. Set it aside.

Put 3 large egg whites, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of cream of tartar in a large bowl. Set it aside.

Combine 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon (1 5/8 ounces)  water and 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (4 3/8 ounces) granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a rapid boil.

Boil for 2 minutes.

The temperature of the syrup should reach between 235°F and 240°F. When it does, take the syrup off the heat.

Immediately start whipping the egg whites, using an electric mixer.

When they hold a soft peak on the end of the beater, stop, grab the pan of hot syrup, resume beating, and pour the syrup steadily into the whites as you beat.

Stop to scrape the sides of the bowl midway through.

Be sure to get as much of the syrup into the bowl of egg whites as possible. It’ll be sticky.

Continue beating until the meringue is smooth, glossy, and forms soft peaks. This is EXACTLY what a soft peak looks like.

Fold in the almond flour/sugar.

You can just pick up the whisk and fold the almond/sugar in by hand; it goes quickly.

Once everything is fully incorporated, stir with a spatula until the batter runs in ribbons that disappear back into the mass in 10 to 20 seconds. Test frequently, and stop stirring when you reach this point.

Use a teaspoon cookie scoop or a pastry bag to deposit a generous teaspoon-sized round blob of batter onto a parchment-covered baking sheet.

Don’t have parchment? Use your silicone baking mat. No baking mat? Use non-stick aluminum foil.

Don’t have any of the above? Don’t make these cookies – really.

The test cookie should flatten out, rather than remain in a tall blob. If it doesn’t spread, stir the batter some more; your goal is a disc-like, fairly flat cookie.

As you can see, the cookies above didn’t spread…

So I stirred the batter some more.

Pictured at left is how the cookies should look. At right, the batter is too firm; stir some more.

Want to tint some of your macarons in fun colors? Now’s your chance. The ones you may have seen in a fancy bakery are often tinted blue, pink, yellow, or green.

I chose a drop or so of extra-strong gel-paste color

…to turn the batter a lovely pink.

See how nicely these are spreading? That’s your goal.

Allow to rest in a dry place with good air circulation (a counter top is fine) until you can gently touch the tops and come away with a clean finger, about 2 hours.

See how their shininess has dulled as they’ve rested?

Towards the end of the resting time, preheat the oven to 275°F.

Bake the cookies for 25 to 30 minutes, till firm on the top. They’ll develop a “fuzzy” ring around the center; that’s a good thing!

Remove them from the oven, and cool completely on sheet.

Use a thin spatula to carefully separate them from the parchment or foil.

Next, choose your filling. Jam, ganache, frosting, nut butter – anything your heart desires.

I thought ganache would be a suitable filling. After all, when is it not?!

Combine 6 ounces chocolate chips with 4 ounces heavy cream.

Microwave till the cream is very hot and starts to bubble around the edges.

Stir to combine. Keep stirring till smooth and shiny.

Plop a heaping teaspoonful onto half the cookies. Top with the remainder of the cookies.

Raspberry jam is a nice choice with pink cookies.

Easy!

And lovely.

Nutella, anyone?

Tower of macarons!

These cookies are best eaten within 24 hours; they don’t hold particularly well, so make them the day of your party.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Macarons.

And, if you’re at all nervous about making the boiling sugar syrup for this classic macaron recipe, try our Simple Macarons, using a basic uncooked meringue.

comments

1. HMB

You can grind your own almonds to flour by hand with a Mouli grater — they don’t get oily that way. It just takes a while! I also make hazelnut flour that way.

2. SMJ

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Recent articles about macarons in the Wall Street Journal and the New York times had me wondering about these for a while. They made them sound very difficult to make, your directions make them look like something I could make. How many filled macarons does the recipe yield?It will make 20 to 22 filled cookies. Mary @ KAF

3. Heather

I’ve always been afraid to make macarons because they seem too difficult. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions – I’m ready to try them now!

4. Wei Wei

Oh GOSH. Thank you, THANK YOU! I’ve been looking for a good macaron tutorial for a while now, and its awesome to see one coming from one of my favorite baking blogs. By the way: have you ever seen people using 24- or 48-hour aged egg whites instead? Apparently it helps with feet development.

Wei Wei

5. Lenore

They look yummy! just wondering…are they messy to eat? so many times, the filling squishes out the sides at the first bite. I’ll be making them as soon as the temp drops here in NC – too hot for the oven.,br /> It depends somewhat on how thick the filling is and how much you put in. Mary@ KAF

6. michellemabell

Once again, thank you for such an in depth of ‘how to’ with pictures…How can I go wrong!!! You make baking and trying something new fun because I feel like I am right in your kitchen knowing what to expect or what I am doing wrong when it or if it goes wrong!

Now are these anything like those delicious almond horn things (horseshoe shaped to die for taste) you used to sell in your bakery???

Is adding the syrup to the egg whites anything like making marshmallows in trying to get it to come together? Just wondering if that is what I should be expecting?

Thanks.
    Michelle These aren’t anything like the almond horns we sell in our bakery. Totally different “animal”. The technique could be described as similar to making marshmallows, with the sugar syrup going in slowly and the beating. Mary@KAF

7. Berta

I fell in love with macaroons after having Pierre Herme’s in Paris – but I can’t fly to Paris every time I want one, nor do I want to pay fancy bakery prices for them. Thanks for such a detailed how-to!

8. Zorra

Mmmmm… These have made it to hinterland of Columbus, Ohio–at somewhat more affordable prices. (One local boutique bakery shows some amazing colors and flavors at http://www.pistaciavera.com).
    Thanks for making an otherwise intimidating recipe look doable. Could you add espresso powder to the batter for coffee flavor?
    Any chance the unfilled macarons might freeze well?I think espresso powder would work very well for coffee flavor. These can be frozen before filling, but it is very important to thaw them completley to room temperature in the wrappings to prevent condensation, which would cause them to melt. Have fun with them. Mary@KAF

9. sarah m.

any suggestions on flavoring the meringue cookie part?

~Sarah

p.s. thanks for posting this. These are on my baking ‘bucket list’ and so hopefully this will give me the omph to make them! Our customers have suggested some excellent flavors. Have fun with it. Mary@ KAF

10. SYLVIA SIMKO

WOW! At last I’m able to make these ! I fell in love with the macarons ever since I ate them in Vienna and Paris. There they make them in 8 different pastel colors with the corresponding fillings: pistaccio, raspberry, chocolate, apricot, Nutella, blueberry, lemon and walnut. Until now, I was unable to buy the almond flour, and just got to make regular merengues… Thank you KIng Arthur Flour!

11. Sue Francus

You are not kidding about the prices of these little “cookies” (don’t call them that in the French bakery…they will correct you…mac-a-rons!) They are tasty and beautifully colorful (blues, greens, yellows, pinks, purples, etc.) and VERY expensive at $1.75 each. But we were on vacation (St. Armonds Circle in Sarasota, FL) and there was a bakery called Le Macaron. And that’s just about all they had, that and gelati. They had macarons in the flavors of basil, blackberry, lime and latte and about 12 others. We tried the gingerbread, a chocolate and a latte. Yum. Thank you for providing the recipe, I cannot wait to try a batch…now I just need to decide on a flavor!

12. Cyn

Oh, thank you for experimenting with a macaron recipe! I’ve wanted to try making these, and as noted in your recipe link, the sugar syrup does make sense in terms of stabilizing the mixture. Sort of like making divinity, isn’t it?

I also appreciate the note about not trying to make these cookies if you don’t have the proper equipment. I must confess to a wee bit of frustration when I read comments stating the recipe was a disaster…but then it turns out the cook substituted tons of ingredients, or didn’t have the equipment called for. Ummm…perhaps the original recipe would have worked to begin with? ;-) Thanks again!

13. Audrey K

Hi, these look lovely! Can the unfilled cookies be frozen after baking? Or will they turn mushy? It would be great if I could make them, freeze them, then thaw and fill before everyone comes over! They can be frozen, but thaw them completely in the wrappings, so that they don’t condensate and melt. Mary@ KAF

14. Ricardo Neves gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

One of the best French pastry treats. I was always looking for a good recipe on web, but never tried anyone. Now, with this amazing tutorial from KAF´s staff, i´m encouraged to give a try.
    I´m expecting to do my macaroons with Brazil Nuts, plus Açaí Jam at filling. I´m trying to use local foods when i test new recipes from worldwide!

15. Jenifer Smith

Lovely pictures!!! I’m going to be trying these at work this week, I work in pastries for a hotel. I wanted to let everyone know a tip when I made some last fall at work. I have a nut allergy so I tried replacing the almond flour with half ap flour and half rice flour. They came out great, now I can have my cake and my cookies too!! Happy macarons baking everyone.

16. Nina

Yay, I’ve been waiting for a while for you guys to try your hand at these.

Hope the wait’s worth it, Nina! PJH

17. Nina

Most of the successful macaron makers say that the eggs used for macarons should be left on the counter the night before making them. Also, to remove them without damage pull the parchment paper with the cookies on top of a clean kitchen towel that was moistened (not drippy wet) and let them sit there for about 5 minutes – they’ll fall of the paper by themselves.

18. Michelle Brown

I am a HUGE macaron fan!! I look for them everywhere (I even had a pic on my iphone for a while of the colorful macrons in the display case at Paillard in Quebec City.

Thank you for making these little guys look so easy to make! I pulled a recipe last fall from an food editorial from a San Francisco based paper and attempted to make them at home. The article made it sound like if I could conquer this I was a real pastry chef! Of course they didn’t quite turn out right with that kind of pressure!

One little tip: try the pre-made ones sold at Trader Joe’s Stores (under $5 and frozen) for a pre-taste if you live in a community that doesn’t sell them anywhere.

Looking forward to making these from KAF!! Thank you for highlighting a great treat!!

19. Joelle

We sell macarons in Montreal at every French pastry shop.
    I have attempted other recipes but none have been as easy as yours.
    Now…How do you get the green to taste like pistachio..
    the red to taste like rasberries ect…

Joelle, add some strong flavors or flavor oils – that’s the best way to do it without changing texture. PJH

20. Kris

I have been making these for months from a recipe in a fun little book called I Love (heart) Macarons by Hisako Ogita and the sugar syrup is not necessary. Just egg whites and granulated sugar for the meringue. They bake up perfectly with little “feet” and keep well for several days in the fridge.

21. Jessica

You absolutely can make your own almond flour! Just dump the almonds in the food processor with the powdered sugar and grind together in pulses. Works every time.

Jessica, I’ve never been able to make the extra-fine, fluffy almond flour you can buy out of blanched almonds, but I’ll absolutely take your word for it! I must be doing something wrong… PJH

22. Jim Barbaro

I Wikipedia’ed “macaron” and found this to be an OLD confection:
    History
    Although predominantly a French confection, there has been much debate about its origins. Larousse Gastronomique cites the macaron as being created in 791 in a convent near Cormery. Some have traced its French debut back to the arrival of Catherine de’ Medici’s Italian pastry chefs whom she brought with her in 1533 upon marrying Henry II.
    In the 1830s, macarons were served two-by-two with the addition of jams, liqueurs, and spices. The macaron as it is known today was called the “Gerbet” or the “Paris macaron” and is the creation of Pierre Desfontaines of the French pâtisserie Ladurée, composed of two almond meringue discs filled with a layer of buttercream, jam, or ganache filling.

23. Edie May

We just moved back to the U.S.A. from Melbourne Australia where macarons are the rage! It was always a special treat when I would bring some home. I paid $2.40 (AUD) per cookie and I can’t wait to try making some on my own. I am so glad that this recipe was posted, I have other recipes that I want to try as well and it will be nice to compare them. My favorite filling is a rich, flavored buttercream like lemon, strawberry or vanilla. HEAVEN!

24. Erik

This is the post I’ve been waiting for! After trying these in Las Vegas, I knew I had to learn to make them myself (no way I’m paying high $$ to ship these buggers across country). As always, your step by step instructions really make this recipe approachable by a large number of home bakers. Thanks again.

25. Yetty

You do not have to go to France. In NYC, the best French-style macarons can be found at least in two bakeries: 1) Bouchon bakery at the Time Warner Center (3rd floor) , sold in a packet of 4 or 5 (not sure how many mini size). You can also buy them at the artisanal bakery on 105th and Broadway called Silvermoon Bakery, sold individually, in four flavors:pistachio, chocolate, raspberry and chocolate. The large costs $2.00, the mini (1″) is $1.75 each.

About the almond flour, go to your nearest health food store. There are two brands:Bob’s Red Meal and Shiloh, they cost around $16.00/package.
    I’ve used the two brands interchangeably and they are more than satisfactory.

If I do want to make the French macarons myself, this recipe is about the most detailed I have ever seen. Just make sure your beater and the bowl of the mixer are clean, with no trace of grease or your egg white will not fluff up properly.

And our almond flour here on this site is just $6.95… PJH

26. Jeanna

Trader Joe’s sells the almond flour/meal for those of you lucky enough to have a TJ’s in your area.

This technique looks similar to the Italian meringue.

27. donna

Haven’t tried these yet but Trader Joe sells almond flour at a very reasonable cost.
    I’m going to make some soon.

28. Aaron Frank

Wow. Macarons are becoming the rage here. Whole Foods in Boston has started selling them (but not yet in CT) and while my wife and I were strolling around Boston we found a small store selling a book titled “I Macarons”. I of course had to buy it! Your post will be very helpful though as this was translated from French and not everything makes sense.

I’ve made a recipe similar to this before from Jacque Torres’s “Dessert Circus” but his macarons are a bit more rustic and call for the tops to crack. I’ve also made Pierre Herme’s chocolate macarons but it was very hard to tell when they were done being chocolate and my first attempt at macarons.

All my books offer grinding almonds in a food processor wih a small amount of confectioner’s sugar to absorb the oil. But I’ve also had these books since before things like almond flour were readily avaible on the wbe.

Thanks!

Aaron

29. Lindy

OK, I am dieting…and now I am drooling…like Pavlov’s dog!!! soooooo….. I plan to make these puppies! My will power will have to be at max! Hopefully?

Well, Lindy, they’re really not high fat, anyway (if you use jam as filling); make them for a special occasion (or for work), so that you have just a few, and the rest disappear into someone else’s daily calorie count! – PJH

30. Rachel M.

These look good, but I’m nervous about using high-temperature sugar syrup. Is a Swiss-meringue method likely to work with these? Namely, heating the sugar and egg whites together in a double-boiler until reaching a certain temperature (which I forget right now), then mixing to soft peaks?

Rachel, there are actually a lot of ways to skin this particular cat. I’m betting your method would work just fine. Go for it – and let us know about your success, OK? PJH

31. Teresa

I can’t help but say again, Wow!! I’ve never seen any one described not to mention include play by play pictures of how to make macarons! Often said to be complicated. It’s now demystified by KAF! I am now tempted to try. Part’s of it reminds me of making marshmallows. I haven’t tried another macaron after I had them in Paris. I will have to get one at a local source and try this out, with the ganache or lemon buttercream! Yum. Thanks so much!

32. Sandie

These ‘see how it’s done’ pieces are great…could be called ‘things my mother never taught me’. I learned to cook and bake by watching mom, so when I an SEE what something is going to look like…everything else comes together. Can’t wait to try this!

33. D Ferrara

I have been making macaroons for years, with great success and interesting failures. Even the failures can be tasty.
    A few tips: If you don’t have parchment, large sheets of drawing paper or newsprint are traditional in French households. Before the cookies sit for two hours, some cooks recommend dropping the pan flat onto a counter, from a height of about a foot (my daughter loves this part – very noisy!). After they get out of the oven, lift the corner of the paper and drizzle a little cold water under the paper. They will come right off.

We use King Arthur Almond Flour and Glazing Sugar, which has no cornstarch, sifted through a flour sifter to aerate. Hazelnut flour also works well and is great with Nutella, although the cookies are a speckled. Dried egg whites work fine and are very convenient.

By the way, in France, the flour and sugar are sold together. There is even a special name for the way you stir everything together and flatten the batter: macaronage.

But there isn’t only one way to make these. The French Cookie Book by Bruce Healy has dozens of variations on the recipe. Some are tiny and delicate, others larger and shaped like rocks.

34. Kelly

I have been toying with the idea of making French macarons for months. I even bought the almond flour last time I was at the KAF store with the intention of making them but couldn’t really find the step by step instructions I felt I needed to do it correctly until today! Looking forward to giving this recipe a try!!!

35. Yetty

Oops, I goofed. Yesterday, I said that French macarons are sold in the artisanal bakery in NYC (Silver Moon) in four flavors: they are pistachio, chocolate, raspberry and ESPRESSO. I mentioned the chocolate twice. Sorry.

Thank you, PJH for the almond flour source at KAF. I will buy it next time. The two brands mentioned are sold in 1 lb. packages. Is the KAF brand also sold in the 16 oz. package?

Our almond flours are sold in 8 ounces packages, but they do freeze very well. ~ MaryJane

36. cindy leigh

OK, now I feel like a hillbilly. Not only have I never heard of a macaron (and I’ve been to Paris twice!) but when I saw the blog photo, before reading the title, I thought these were meant to look like hamburgers! I thought, oh, cute for a picnic or BBQ! boy do I feel stupid!!

Don’t feel bad, Cindy – they’re a fairly recent “culinary phenomena.” And the closeup picture DOES look like a burger! Good idea for next time – macarons disguised as cheeseburgers… trompe l’oeil! :) PJH

37. Lee

Macaron – Macaroon? I always thought macaroons were coconut? I’m really out of the loop on these! Or am I thinking of something else?

Different animal, Lee. You’re right – macaroons are coconut (or almond). Macarons are like nut flour-enhanced meringues. PJH

38. Lisa W

I love King Arthur’s “can do” take on one of my favorite French treats! You’ve convinced me to give it a try. Thanks for this and other wonderful recipes and tips.

39. Erik

I was wondering – there is another technique for making Macarons that doesn’t involve working with hot syrup. Have you tried that technique? If so, might you also consider discussing what may be a slightly easier alternative here?

Erik, we might get around to alternate techniques in the months to come. Unfortunately, we’re usually short on time/personnel, long on projects! I’ll definitely mention it to Sue and Andrea in the test kitchen, who developed this particular recipe. Perhaps they can try the non-boiling-syrup method and I can append the results onto the end of this blog. Thanks for the suggestion – PJH

Hooray for the test bakers! They whipped up a non-syrup recipe yesterday: Simple Macarons. Thanks for the suggestion, Erik – PJH

40. Ashley

oh my goodness! and gluten free to boot! this is the second batch I have made in three days and as you can see by the intense directions, they are really that good!

I made mine with Nutella but I hope to try some kind of jelly filling soon.

Thanks so much for this recipe, fun and delicious!

41. Aaron Frank

Sorry if I missed this but have you ever tried these w/powdered egg whites?

Thanks,

Aaron

Never have, Aaron – but if you’re used to making your meringue from powdered egg whites, it should work just fine. PJH

42. Mike Nolan

I’ve been experimenting with macarons recently, too. They’re habit-forming!

David Lebovitz has an excellent recipe for a chocolate macarons on his site.

Duncan Markham’s site (Syrup and Tang) also has an excellent five part article on macarons. He even has suggestions for what to do with shells that don’t come out quite right, like crumbling them and making parfaits. (We made a dozen of those last week with a batch that was too thin and didn’t form proper feet, they were DEVOURED!)

I’ve been making them with French (uncooked) meringue, I’m planning on trying it with Italian meringue (like the recipe here) next. I’ve tried making them both with fresh egg whites and with powdered egg whites, the latter are a little less messy and you don’t have to figure out what to do with all the egg yolks. (You can also safely eat the left over batter.)

However, I’ve been piping mine rather than using a cookie scoop. I may have to try that. (We even created a template with dozens of properly spaced 1 inch circles on them for piping, I just place it under the parchment paper. I’m probably going to print another one up and have it laminated.)

Personally, I’m of the opinion that they’re best after about 18 hours of aging in a cool place, to let the filling and the cookie sort of meld into each other. But they don’t have a very long shelf life, though that hasn’t been a big problem. :-)

43. Quart

I’ve been testing macarons for serveral months and have found this recipe and directions work best for me. No boiling required.

140 g Egg Whites (room temperature)
    2 pinch Cream of Tartar
    1/2 cup Sugar
    2 cup Powdered Sugar
    1 1/2 cup Almond Flour

Makes 75 cookies

1. Preheat the oven to 320°F.
    2. Whip the egg whites and tartar until foamed, gradually add the sugar. Increase the speed to high, add color, and whip until firm meringue is formed.
    3. Meanwhile, sift the almond flour. Sift the powdered sugar on top. Whisk the two together to break up the lumps.
    4. Add the dries to the meringue, quickly (not gently) incorporate. No folding required, stir together. Do not over-mix.
    5. On a double or triple silpat lined sheetpan, pipe the batter in 3-5 cm coined-sized circles.
    6. Place the cookies into the oven, with the door ajar. Bake for 12-15 mins.

We were testing a “no boiling syrup” recipe today. I’ll have to check and see if it’s similar to this. Thanks for sharing – PJH

44. Mischelly

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I’m so happy to find this recipe on your website!! Your website is one of the few sites that I can consistently rely on an awesome end result.
    I can’t wait to try them! Many thanks!

We sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm! We owe it all to our customer/bakers as well as the enthusiasm of our employee owners! Irene @ KAF

45. Joyce

Was wondering how lemon or lime curds would be as a filling.

You could certainly use either, but then you’d either want to serve the macarons immediately, or refrigerate them. And, once refrigerated, the’ll tend to get sticky/soggy, so best to fill just before serving. Enjoy – PJH

46. stammisfam

I made these a couple nights ago and they were amazing! I’d never had a macaron before, but they’re my new favorite treat. Today’s batch didn’t have the shiny top that the first one did. What did I do wrong?

Did you let them dry long enough? Was your oven the right temperature? Could even be the weather… These are fussy, and tiny changes can result in different outcomes… so hard to diagnose specifically what happened. I’d say try again, and write down exactly what you do, so if they come out shiny, you can replicate the next time. Good luck – PJH

47. allison

I’m hoping to make up a batch and freeze them, then defrost & fill before serving. I have a bunch of questions though. Do they have to be individually wrapped to freeze well? Also, I would think that defrosting them in the wrapping would lead to more condensation than removing them from the wrapping and then freezing, wouldn’t it? Would their ability to freeze well change depending on whether you use the syrup method?

To freeze the macaroons, lay them out on a flat sheet pan and overwrap it with plastic wrap, make sure nothing get set on top of these in the freezer. The reason we leave items wrapped during defrosting is to allow any condensation from the air to fall on the outside, not on the item. When defrosted any condensation is removed with the plastic wrap. I haven’t found any difference in the cookies after freezing regardless of method. Frank @ KAF.

48. hollywoodoregon

i was wondering if there is any substitute to using almond flour or coconut as i don’t really care much for either flavor? is the almond flavor very strong? is there any way to mask the flavor if so?

thanks!

Almond flour doesn’t taste at all like bottled almond extract, so I’d go with the almond flour… PJH

49. Pam

@hollywoodoregon – the whole point is so that you have a very subtle almond flavor, if you don’t like almonds, don’t bother. It would be an entire waste of a beautiful confection. Coconut flour would make a macaroon not a french macaron. I’m not saying this to be mean, but really. Why don’t you make a batch and see for yourself if you’re that concerned.

50. Lindsay

Sometimes my macarons have an air pocket just under the surface. I find that I can decrease the size of the pocket if I remove them from the baking sheet as soon as I can touch them and turn them upside down to cool. Thought I’d share in case anyone else is having this problem.
    Thanks so much for sharing. Every little bit helps when making these tricky treats. ~ MaryJane

51. "Nootsie Brooks"

Was wondering about substituting ground pistachios or chocolate for some of the almond flour. Do you have any helpful hints on this matter. Made your recipe today with complete success but of course want to experiment now. NB
    Pistachio flour should work in place of the almond flour. You could try it. Please let us know how it goes. Regarding chocolate, are you considering using cocoa powder, Nootsie? Elisabeth

52. satguymtl

Awesome! I’m starting Gale Gand’s Panettone tonight, and by tomorrow afternoon I’ll be inundated with egg whites without a purpose. I instinctively came here to find a good meringue or macaron recipe, knowing full well that I’m frightened by macaron-making. Thanks to this straightforward blog of a straightforward recipe, my egg whites will now be able to fulfill their destiny!

Ah, nothing like egg whites fulfilling their destiny, is there? :) Enjoy – PJH

53. jama

If I don’t have quite enough almond meal, can I round it out with pecan meal?
    That should be just fine, as long as the texture is similar. ~ MaryJane

54. Divs

What is the difference why you boil the sugar instead of just mixing it dry to egg whites?
    This helps the sugar to dissolve. ~Amy