“Ordering a BLT…” on pizza crust.

Have you ever worked in a consumer goods company? Then you know what a line extension is.

For Honda, a line extension is taking their ever-popular Civic, and coming out with a Civic hybrid.

For Ben & Jerry’s, it’s adding Mud Pie (“Chocolate & Coffee Liqueur Ice Creams Swirled Together with a Chocolate Cookie Swirl”) to their lineup of outrageous flavors.

For me, it’s creating a new pizza.

I’m an inveterate recipe tinkerer when it comes to pizza. My favorite crust can range from thin and cracker-crisp, to thick, soft, and comfortingly doughy. It might include golden semolina flour (for color); or Italian-style flour (for crispness).

Or it might be a high-gluten crust fortified with extra fiber – my current favorite.

Sometimes I like to bake the crust on a stone, for an ultra-crunchy bottom. Sometimes, I place it in a thin film of olive oil in a pan, and the bottom is crackly-crispy, almost as though it’s been fried. (Think Pizza Hut.)

And then there are the wealth of topping choices… boggles the mind, doesn’t it, the good things you can put atop your favorite crust?

Pepperoni or sausage, of course. Mushrooms, olives, and green peppers. Cheese, always. Slow-roasted vegetables, a great choice for winter.

And in summer – salad.

That’s right – fresh greens. I’ve made Caesar salad pizza. The Slawdog-za: warm crust with coleslaw and grilled, sliced hotdogs. Even pizza with the full range of Salade Niçoise ingredients, including tuna, hard-boiled eggs, olives…

And now, The Wedge – a.k.a. the BLT Pizza.

You know The Wedge salad, right? A wedge of iceberg lettuce, blue cheese dressing, and crumbled bacon; maybe some chopped red onion. It’s simple as can be, yet ultimately satisfying.

So why not layer those same ingredients on a fresh-baked pizza crust?

And why not add tomatoes for color, and call it a BLT Pizza?

Which is just what I did. Read on…

You can certainly make your own favorite pizza crust recipe, and simply follow the instructions below for topping and baking. But I really want to share this crust recipe with you – and get you hooked on it. It starts with our highest-gluten flour, Sir Lancelot. This super-strong flour yields a crust that’s both light, and crunchy/chewy.

While you can make the crust with all Lancelot, I like to add Hi-maize, a dietary fiber derived from corn.

Assuming you cut your 12″ pizza into 8 slices to serve, each slice will include 3g of non-soluble fiber – and trust me, NO ONE will know they’re eating high-fiber pizza!

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

3 cups (13 ounces) Sir Lancelot High-Gluten Flour*
3/4 cup Hi-maize Fiber*
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Pizza Dough Flavor, optional but tasty
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, enough to make a soft, smooth dough

*Hi-maize gives the crust an extra-crisp bottom, as well as adding fiber; if you don’t have it, use a total of 3 3/4 cups Lancelot.

Ready… set… mix!

Mix the dough with a flat beater till it comes together…

…then knead with a dough hook for about 7 minutes, till it’s soft, elastic, and fairly smooth.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or large measuring cup, cover it, and let it rise at cool room temperature for 1 hour.

Use the dough immediately or, for best flavor, refrigerate overnight, or for up to 24 hours.

The dough will continue to rise in the fridge. Make sure you start out with a large enough container!

Lightly grease two 12” to 14” round pizza pans; or a couple of baking sheets. Divide the dough in half, and place each half on one of the pans.

Stretch each piece of dough into a 10” to 14” disk (thick crust vs. thin crust). When the crust fights back, as it inevitably will, simply walk away for 10 to 15 minutes. When you return, it’ll be much more cooperative.

Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let rise for 1 to 2 hours, till the crust is as puffy as you like. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Divide 1 pound of uncooked diced bacon evenly atop the risen crusts.

Notice how oily the pan is? Mistake; I drizzled some olive oil on it when I didn’t mean to, then didn’t want to remove the crust and redo the photo. All the pan really needs is a spritz of non-stick vegetable oil spray. Though you can certainly use the olive oil, too, for an extra-crispy bottom crust!

Bake the crusts for 22 to 24 minutes…

…till they’re golden brown, and the bacon is cooked through.

While the crusts are baking, prepare the toppings and dressing.

Chop enough iceberg, romaine, or other crisp lettuce to cover the top of both pizzas. I’m chopping it into the same size pan here as my pizza was rising in; that made it easy to see how much I’d need. As it turned out, 8 ounces of romaine was enough for two pizzas.

Chop 4 medium tomatoes, and let them drain while the crusts bake.

To make blue cheese dressing, mix 1 cup each sour cream and mayonnaise with 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese (or as much as you like).

Stir till well combined.

OK, time to assemble. One hot crust, ready for toppings.

Spread with dressing.

You can skip the dressing and just use mayo. For a lower-fat pizza, skip any dressing, and simply top with vegetables.

Add the romaine…

…then the tomatoes.

I had some leftover bacon from a different baking project that I sprinkled on top. You can skip this step, too; or cook up some extra bacon, as a garnish.

Cut in wedges to serve.

The crust, though thick, is actually very light and crunchy – close your eyes and you’ll imagine you’re biting into a toasted BLT!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for BLT Pizza.

comments

1. Lish

This looks fantastic. I think I will make this as an appetizer this weekend. Friends are coming over to show us how to make sushi, and we need something to eat while we make it. This looks perfect. Can’t go wrong with bacon and blue cheese!

You got that SO right, Lish… :) PJH

2. Julie

California Pizza Kitchen makes this very pizza and it is my FAVORITE!! They toss the lettuce with a light buttermilk-type dressing before piling it on top of the pizza. They also add avocado. Delish!

Avocado would add flavor and color both – thanks for the inspiration, Julie! We don’t have any California Pizza Kitchens around here – sounds like they’d have an interesting menu. PJH

3. HMB

We were in LA recently and saw lots of pizzas with sandwich and salad toppings. This one looks a lot like a pizza my son ordered for lunch one day.

4. ATL Cook

I have been making BLT Salad all summer. I have never seen Sir Lancelot flour for sale in an grocery store. Is it available? Low protein wheat flours causes my allergies to be worse; wake up wheezing after eating it. No White Lily or Martha White flour for me.

Lancelot isn’t in stores, only online here; but our bread flour is in stores – you could substitute bread flour, and cut back the liquid by a tablespoon or so… PJH

5. Wei-Wei

This is such a great idea! I have so many ideas for “sandwich-flavoured” pizzas now. :D Why not a Reuben pizza? (Is there any way to make a rye crust??)

Wei-Wei

Sandwich Rye Bread includes rye flour, pumpernickel, pickle juice and caraway to give the distinctive flavor. If you are feeling daring, use some of these ingredients in your favorite pizza crust recipe. If you’re not so daring, try a rye recipe for the pizza crust. Either way, your suggestion sounds delish! Irene@ KAF

6. sallly

Hmmm looks wonderful but how about adding some chopped spinach and some cheese?

Anything you like, Sally – the recipe is as much inspiration/idea as anything else. As L.L. Bean says: “Start here. Go anywhere.” PJH

7. Linda

Sorry to rain on your parade, folks. However, salad and blue cheese dressing on a “pizza” is not my idea of “good eats”. (I grew up in New Haven, CT., so I guess I am a pizza purist.) And as I looked through all the steps of creating this recipe, I am wondering where all the fat from a whole pound of bacon goes, as you instruct putting the bacon pieces on
    uncooked.

That’s the nice thing about baking, Linda – to each his own. There are no Baking Police. Thanks for sharing your thoughts; all input is welcome here! PJH

8. katie

I have some Singleton’s bacon (Proctorsville, VT) and some homegrown tomatoes….so I think that’s what we’ll be having for dinner tonight.

Sounds like a good plan, Katie – especially with those homegrown tomatoes! PJH

9. mandy

Mmmmmm. Bacon and creamy dressing on pizza. And you could almost tell yourself it’s healthy because of the lettuce! Sounds like a pizza night is coming up.

10. Sara

Since you’re always looking for new pizza ideas, can I just suggest my personal favorite? (I like my crust made with all Lancelot flour. It feels like an indulgence, but it comes out so chewy and yummy.) I spread on some roasted garlic (about a head), drizzle on some olive oil, and top with shredded Fontina. It’s as simple as you please, and oh my heaven!, it is soooo good. My husband will love the BLT version here. I’ll give it a go very soon. Any thoughts on alternate dressing? I’m not a huge blue cheese fan. Maybe ranch?

I think ranch would be a great substitution, Sara. Or how about spreading a thin layer of cream cheese or even just a hint of mayo? Enjoy! Elisabeth @ KAF

11. Erin R.

Aw, yeah. My husb is a pepperoni and sausage man, so if I’m going to do creative pizzas like this I have to do them by myself. I have been thinking about a BLT pizza for ages but haven’t gotten around to it. I never would have thought of the bleu cheese dressing. This weekend, for sure. Thanks for the terrific idea, and especially for the gorgeous photos.

Oh also, I once made a pumpernickel crust and spread it with thinly sliced ham, sauerkraut and a tiny bit of Swiss cheese. Guhhh. Pizzas really are just sandwiches in a different format, aren’t they?

12. DebM

I was going to write in asking for alternates to the blue cheese as well, but I see a couple others beat me to it. I was thinking of using guacamole instead with maybe just a sprinkle of cheddar shreds? (We love avocado and cheddar on our BLT sandwiches) This pizza looks delicious and I will definitely give it a try-I’m off to order the Lancelot right now :)
    Thanks!
    Deb

Deb, absolutely use whatever you want. No baking police around here! Any ingredient that’s not key to structure – i.e., toppings and flavors – can be changed at will. Guacamole sounds absolutely yummy… PJH

13. Nancy

Just a point of information for those who like to make pizza, but feel they don’t have time. Fleischmann’s Yeast (can I mention brand names here?) has come out with a Pizza Crust Yeast. It contains a dough relaxer and requires no rise time. It isn’t available in all areas yet, but you can get a sample of it from their site (along with a cookbook for the cost of shipping). I have tried it once so far and was very happy with the result. I am fairly new to blogging and I hope that I haven’t committed a faux pas by mentioning one company’s website on another’s blog. You guys are the best!

Not a problem, Nancy – name-dropping is encouraged! I have to say I’ve used that yeast, and don’t like it; I prefer to give my pizza crust a longer rise, as that’s how it develops flavor. That said, if you’re in a super hurry, the pizza yeast is a good solution. And we sell it here. Thanks for sharing your experience- PJH

14. Emilie

We’re having this for dinner tonight! Am so glad I had the Sir Lancelot and Hi-maize flours already in my pantry. One question, though — if I want to only make one pizza, can I just cut the dough in half once I take it out of the pitcher and then ball it up, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze? Thanks!

Yes, absolutely Emilie. You’ll be halfway to your next pizza! PJH

15. Lynn in CT

OMG! Love the idea of this pizza! Definitely a keeper. How can you go wrong with bacon :-) Did you ever see the movie *Waitress*, where she names all her pies? After watching the movie I started doing that with my pizzas – lol. So much fun. I am definitely a pizza addict. I love to bake bread, but there’s something about a pizza…… the possibilities are endless. Thanks for another possibility :-)

Go for it, Lynn – I’m with you. Pizza, spaghetti, and Chinese food are three things I would eat endlessly… if only I could! Darn those diets… PJH

16. Emilie

Just a quick follow up — I made this tonight and it was good. However it took more than twice as long as the recipe states for the bacon to cook through. I finally bumped the temp. up to 375 and that finally finished it off. I have a thermometer in my oven so I’m pretty sure it cooks accurately. So was just wondering if perhaps the 350 temp in the recipe is a typo (especially since the recipe note says that to make something other than BLT, the crust and then toppings should be baked at 425 for basically the same amount of time).

No typo, Emilie – Could be the cheap bacon I use – it’s VERY thin-cut… Maybe you were simply using thicker bacon? At any rate – hope eventually you enjoyed the pizza! :) PJH

17. mIKES

I have always thought the purpose of cooking bacon was to “chase” away a significant amount of the fat for the sake of flavor and uneeded calories? This is off the map: Allowing all of the fat to become a part of the dish is tragically unhealthy, even if it just once a year.

And I am in agreement with Linda. There is a baking police just the same as there is a wine (Champagne, for instance) and cheese (Parmagiano, as an example) “police”. For Pizza it is the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. A standards group that tries to keep madness like this is check.
    I am glad I do not have to worry about the baking police here in Vermont. One of the wonderful things about this recipe is that it is just a begining point. I love BLTs but only indulge once or twice during the summer when my tomatoes are bursting with flavor. The idea of a BLT pizza is intriguing and once my heirloom tomatoes have ripened I will try it. I will cook my (turkey low fat) bacon before I place it on my crust to bake. And I will use field greens I grow. I am still thinking about the other toppings because this is and should be an open ingredient list. JMD@KAF

18. Sylvia

A good place for me to start…But the lower fat version is what I’ll try first. Let you know latter, if I choose to personalize more.

19. Margy

When did our society become so afraid of food? And are we so unintelligent and uninformed that we need to have other persons and agencies constantly nagging us about what is good and bad for us to eat? (The Center for Science in the Public Interest comes to to mind). Anyone who cooks or bakes on a regular basis knows that of course butter and bacon have a lot of fat, and are not the foundation stone of a daily diet, but a treat to be enjoyed in moderation. I am in the health field, and even in the medical journals the nutrition studies will contradict each other, or findings will be refuted in another study six months later. Food is meant to be joyful, creative, savored and shared in fellowship with others. My mom is 82 years old, and every meal table is set with an extra place setting for “the uninvited guest”, the stranger who may show up at your door for food and friendship. Will I eat tomato sandwiches with mayo while my garden is bearing an abundance?–yes, sometimes three times a day, because once they’re gone, they’re gone until next summer, and I don’t eat tomatoes out of season. Do I try to eat healthy most of the time?–yes, I shop in season, use farmers markets, a community sustained agriculture share, and try to at least know the source of my food (kudos to KAF for your openess on that factor). Could I stand to lose a few pounds?–sure, who couldn’t? But ultimately, the decision is mine; we are all responsible for our own decisions, they should not be imposed on us by the so called “food police” or anyone else. Whew! I’ll hop off my soapbox–hand me a slice of that pizza!

I’m with your 100%, Margy – everything you wrote resonates with me. Nutritionist Marion Nestle had some diet advice I’ve always liked -”Eat a little bit of everything.” And – each to his own. Thanks so much for adding your input – PJH

20. Lish

Wei-Wei-

I make a reuben pizza all the time. On this website there is a recipe for a no knead rye bread, it makes a lovely pizza crust. I then top it with thousand island dressing, leftover corned beef or pastrami, sliced tomatoes, well drained sauerkraut and lots of good swiss cheese. It is one of our absolute favorites! And because the rye dough sits in the fridge for a good long time, you can have this two times in a couple of weeks without having to make the crust again. I really hope you try this it is delicious!

Wei-Wei, sounds absolutely delicious! Better put it on my “next time I make pizza” list… :) PJH

21. lissa

You go Margy! My thoughts exactly. :)

PJ, I saw in your post where you mentioned a crust like Pizza Hut’s. I’ve been using your KAF Guaranteed pizza crust recipe for a while now, and love it. It’s my go-to recipe for crust. However, I really like Pizza Hut’s pan pizza crust, and have yet to find a recipe that will duplicate it. Can you tell me which crust recipe to use, and how to adapt it?

This BLT pizza looks wonderful! I think I’ll substitute ranch dressing, and add some avocado for my hubby. Thank you!

Lissa, it’s all about the bottom – a thin layer of olive oil (not just a spritz) allows the bottom of the crust to actually fry and become super-crispy, plus it gives it wonderfully rich flavor. I just made a pizza like that today, using the crust from our Hawaiian Pizza recipe. Give it a try – I think you’ll like it. PJH

22. Janey

Part of the reason I’m such a loyal King Arthur devotee is their breadth (recipes for everything!), depth (explanations for everything!), and the unwavering commitment to deliciousness.
    This blog—this company!—is about learning and growing through food. Where you take the recipe is ultimately your choice, and the recipes even encourage you to take initiative.
    Don’t like the idea of a pound of bacon on your pizza? Put it on in the end after it’s been cooked to your liking. Don’t have nutmeg? Try cardamom. Gluten free? Use a semolina/tapioca blend. The point is to make something that works for *you*.

The fact is there is no “food police”, nor has there ever been nor will there ever be. We are all responsible for our own choices! Besides, any world that limited the amazing creativity of KA’s bakers is not a world I want to live in. Eat well, exercise, and remember everything in moderation…including moderation!

Love that – “everything in moderation – including moderation.” I’d suggest you wouldn’t want to eat semolina on a gluten-free diet, but other than that, I agree 100% with everything you’ve said here, Janey – thanks so much for connecting… PJH

23. Marbarre

What is the difference in the Sir Lancelot and KAF Italian 00 and KAF Pizza flour?
    This recipe sounds wonderful and as someone mentioned, very much like the one my husband enjoyed at California Pizza Kitchen, so he will be delighted when I make this on his “naughty food night”….our way of indulging once a week!

Once a week indulgence is a great plan – gives you something to look forward to as you stick to your diet the rest of the week. Sir Lancelot is our highest gluten flour; Italian 00 is one of our lowest. Pizza Blend is durum and all-purpose flour, with a protein level in between 00 and Lancelot. All make good crusts: Italian thin and chewy, Lancelot thick, light, and chewy, and Pizza Blend can go either way. Enjoy them all! PJH

24. Aaron Frank

Hi,

Do you let your pizza dough rise after you’ve stretched it or is it just an artifact of letting it rest? My dough is still pretty soft after it’s been stretched. I use KA bread flour and cake flour in 2 – 1 proportions.

Do you use a stone in addition to the pan or just the pan?

Do you ever use a hotter oven? Inside my oven is at about 650 and outside it’s almost double that.

I do like to cook off some of the fat of any meat I use (pepperoni, sausage, etc). but I’ve found if I do that I need to put it on the pizza after it’s already in the oven so it doesn’t overcook. It would be easier if I stopped fooling myself into thinking this can be healthful and just enjoy it.

Thanks!

Hi Aaron – Here’s what I do (and that doesn’t mean it’s “right” – or the only way to do things; just that it works for me) – I stretch the dough, then let it rise. For my thick-crust rectangular (Sicilian-style) pizzas, I just use a pan; the stone lives in the bottom of the oven so sometimes the pan ends up on the stone if I’m jiggling things around, but not usually. Sorry to hear it’s 650°F plus where you are! We’ve cooled down here… Our ovens are unreliable over 475°F, so I just stick to my usual 425°F or 450°F sometimes. As for the meat – how about frying on the stove top while the pizza is baking, then draining the meat, adding it right at the end, and throwing some cheese on top? the hot meat will melt the cheese and everything will be gooey-yummy…. And yes – I suggest not worrying 3X a day 7X a week; just don’t overindulge in anything, and “eat healthy” most of the time. ENJOY- PJH

25. Sharryn

I made this BLT pizza and a sausage and pepperoni pizza for dinner tonight. All six of us absolutely loved the BLT pizza. I cooked the bacon partially, removed enough to put on the unbaked crust, then cooked the rest of the bacon until crisp, for the garnish. We used fresh Ranch dressing made with low fat mayo, and added a bit of cheddar cheese to the top before cooking. It was not at all greasy, and it was delicious.

PJ, I’ve had to much fun since I subscribed to this blog, and I’ve learned so much! Thanks to you and everyone at KAF for all you do. Who said you can’t teach an old dog (or an old lady) new tricks! You rock!

Sharryn, the secret of life is to pick an age you like – and stick with it! I think I like 35, and so I’ll just be 35 for the duration… Glad the pizza was a success. And thanks for connecting here – PJH

26. Teresa

Mmmm, I just made this for dinner. Instead of blue cheese I made a creamy peppercorn dressing from Penzey’s. It was delicious. I did blot the pizza of the bacon fat. I couldn’t help it. And it made for a crisper crust. It was still very delicious.

27. joanneblaine

PJ – I made this pizza today, and we found it DELECTIBLE! The only request I was given was to tone down the “pizza sauce”, which I happen to agree — whoa! does a little go a long way! Next time, I will cut the bleu cheese dressing recipe in half, and even then, use it sparingly. Additionally, I was very concerned about the pizza dough being incredibly sticky (after a night’s rest in the fridge), but after “flouring” my hands, I found the dough easier to handle, and learned to just trust the recipe. I baked one pie on a regular cookie sheet, and the other on the pizza stone I bought from KAF, and found the pizza cooked on the pizza stone having a chewier crust, both were great, though. Thank you so much for the recipe! This will definitely be a part of my party repertoire!

Joanne, thanks so much for “reporting in” – I love hearing how everyone fares with our recipes. Agreed, the blue cheese might be a bit much for those who don’t love it – luckily, as a “condiment,” it’s not essential that you add any particular amount. Nice experiement with pan vs. pizza stone, too – it’s good to see what the difference is. Cheers! PJH

28. Mike

Having worked at Pizza Hut some years ago, I can confirm that the oil in the pan is how they do their crispy crust. They use a cast-iron pizza pan and coat the bottom with oil. Although, it seems they’ve been using less oil than back when I worked for them. Either way, that’s how they do it. They use regular vegetable oil, but olive oil would give more flavor. Also, if you let your dough rise in the refrigerator overnight, it will allow it do develop a much deeper flavor. :) Great recipe!

- Mike (professional pastry chef/baker in-training)

Thanks, Mike – great insider knowledge! Good luck in your training – we wish you well… PJH

29. ogoshi

to my mind, this looks disgusting!
    However, to someone else, this could be good

Each to his own… that’s the nice thing about baking, we can absolutely captain our own ships. PJH

30. sandy

The way you tech this is so easy to make pizza in home…. it’s nice, I like it ……I’ll try it…

31. keylogger

The way you teach this is so easy to make pizza in home…. it’s nice

Thanks – every moment in the kitchen can be a teachable one… PJH

32. mccoya

I made this tonight and it was pretty good, I added mozzarella cheese first then turkey bacon and baked it. Next time I think I will pre cook the bacon a little bit so it is more crunchy. I also made a ranch dressing to put on it because we don’t like blue cheese. But didn’t quit care for the ranch. I wonder if a spicy mayo would be good.