Apple Slab: Would a pie by any other name taste as sweet? Absolutely.

IMG_8383A

Apple Slab.

Fairly rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?

CLUNK.

I doubt anything I’ve ever baked has a less compelling name. But truth be told, it wasn’t the name that attracted me. It was an email from a reader wanting to re-create something his grandmother had made decades ago. And since I’m a complete sucker for old-time recipes, I took the bait.

This reader – I remember his name was Frank, though unfortunately I’ve long since lost his email – recalled “an apple pie baked in a rectangular pan, with a thinner than normal layer of apples and a white glaze on top.”

Hmmm, shouldn’t be hard to figure out. Still, I wanted to find an “authentic” old-time recipe, something from, I’d guess, the first half of the last century.

Which I did fairly easily, simply by Googling “apple pie rectangular glazed.” Up popped Apple Slab, and I was off to the races.

Kind of.

So many recipes, so little time… Apple Slab had to wait its turn. Along with Persian Buns (deep-fried, glazed cinnamon rolls); Gooey Cake; yeast bread made from fresh-ground wheat; and Tarte Tropezienne, a specialty of Marseilles: a large, flat brioche split lengthwise and filled with pastry cream, glazed with a crackly vanilla syrup and topped with toasted almonds. Kind of a Bienenstich, but lighter.

Hmmm, speaking of Bienenstich – there’s another one waiting in the wings.

Even when you work in the King Arthur test kitchen, there’s STILL not time to bake everything on your “sounds good” list. But what fun we have trying!

Back to Apple Slab – which finally made its way to the top of the pile. The recipes I read were all incredibly basic; spartan, you might call them, as so many old-time recipes are. “Make a crust. Line with crushed cornflakes. Slice apples over. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Add top crust, bake till done. Glaze with white icing.”

Yup, that was it. Bakers could easily follow a recipe like that 70 years ago. Now – not so much.

So I took those basic thoughts, and gave them a face lift, turning them into a 21st century-style recipe we can all follow, complete with ingredient amounts and baking times.

The result? An apple pie that transports easily in its 9” x 13” pan; readily divides itself into 2 dozen easy-to-plate servings (try THAT with a round pie); and is ridiculously tasty.

Frank, wherever you are – this one’s for you. Enjoy!

Make your favorite double pie crust recipe, one that uses 2 1/2 to 3 cups of flour. I’m using my favorite here, our Classic Double Pie Crust.

Do you have pie crust phobia? Follow the step-by-step photos in our pie crust blog.

slab3

Divide the crust into two parts: one should be 3/5 (60%) of the dough, the other 2/5 (40%). This is easy if you have a scale. If you don’t, eyeball it. Shape each piece of crust into a rectangle; you’re going to be rolling them into rectangles, so might as well give yourself a head start.

Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes, till thoroughly chilled.

Take the larger piece of pastry out of the fridge, and put it on a floured work surface.

Start to roll it into an 11” x 15” rectangle. See those light patches? That’s butter. Those big “smears” of butter help keep your crust tender.

OK, that looks about right. Don’t worry about the ragged edges; they’ll disappear under the top crust.

Now we’re going to move the crust to an ungreased 9” x 13”” pan.

slab1

Fold in half, then in half again. Move to the pan, with the folded corner right in the center of the pan. Unfold.

Messy, huh? That’s OK. Patch up the holes by pushing the pastry together with your fingers, or adding a pinch from the excess on the sides. Push the pastry up the sides of the pan a bit, to make a shallow pastry container for the apples.

Put the crust in the fridge while you get the apples ready. And start preheating your oven to 350°F.

Next, we’re going to peel, core, and slice about 5 large or 6 to 7 medium baking apples. I’ve chosen Granny Smiths here, as our fresh local apples weren’t in yet when I was testing this recipe.

An apple peeler/corer/slicer makes this task fast and EASY.

Once the peeper/corer/slicer has done its work, I simply slice the apple in half with a knife and separate the slices. I can peel, core, and slice an apple in just about 10 seconds.

Here’s the chilled crust, ready for its apples.

But first – a layer of coarse, dry bread crumbs, to help absorb the apples’ juice and keep the crust from becoming soggy. I used 1 cup of Panko – coarse Japanese-style bread crumbs.

The original recipes I found called for crushed cornflakes, which would also be a good option.

Spread the crumbs evenly over the crust.

Top with the apples.

Next, sprinkle with 2/3 cup cinnamon sugar. I like Cinnamon-Sugar Plus – superfine sugar mixed with Vietnamese cinnamon. Super-tasty. But you can make your own cinnamon sugar by combining 2/3 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

Ready for its top crust.

Roll the remaining piece of pastry into a 9” x 13” rectangle.

Again, don’t worry too much about ragged edges; as my grandma-in-law used to say, “It’ll all come out in the wet wash.”

Flop the top crust over the apples. Yes, apples will poke through. Seal the edges of the two crusts as well as you can. There’ll be places where they don’t quite meet. That’s OK.

If the whole thing has become warm and sticky and hard to work with, pop it in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm it up.

Just before baking, slash it 6 or 8 times to allow steam to escape.

If desired, brush the slab with milk, and sprinkle it with coarse white sparkling sugar or cinnamon-sugar.

Put the slab in the preheated 350°F oven, and bake it for an hour.

Remove it from the oven; it’ll be golden brown.

No beauty queen, but icing will help its looks.

Cool the slab completely before glazing.

Here’s a wonderfully tasty glaze: Combine 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/3 cup boiled cider, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, a small pinch of salt, and enough milk or cream to make the mixture “drizzlable.”

Don’t have boiled cider? Use plain milk or cream, maple syrup, honey, or thawed apple juice concentrate. Start with 1/4 cup of any of these; if you’ve made this kind of icing before, you know it’s easier to add more liquid, than to try to take it away. Add enough liquid to make the glaze pourable.

See how thick this is? Maybe a little TOO thick for drizzling.

A teaspoon of cream should take care of that.

Drizzle the glaze artfully atop the slab.

It kind of all runs together anyway, but it’s fun to try to make patterns.

I experimented with a slab that was half glazed, half topped with cinnamon sugar and sparkling sugar. Baker’s choice.

Cut. Serve. Enjoy.

And look how easy it is to serve in small pieces, compared to pie. You can get 2 dozen servings from this pan of Slab – try doing THAT with a pie!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Old-Fashioned Apple Slab.

comments

1. plmezzano

This is very similar to the recipe in Joy of Cooking for Apple Sqaures. I use to make it all the time for the hoidays. The only thing different is I just used a powedered sugar glaze. But this looks great too!

2. karalsimpson

This sound SO good, PJ! I can’t wait to make it. I’ve never heard of using the breadcrumbs/cornflakes before-how interesting!

I’ve been really wanting to get some of the boiled cider and I thought-perfect! (of course you’re out of stock now…but I love that I can have you guys let me know when it’s back!). I’m planning on going apple picking pretty soon, so this will definitely happen. Thanks as always for a great blogpost!

Boiled cider has been hard to come by, but the new crop is supposed to be in in a few weeks – I know you’ll enjoy this. Thanks for your kind words- PJH

3. Becky

This reminds me of something my grandmother used to make too! We would call them “Apple Squares”…I wonder if I can find that recipe now… : )

If not – try this one, Becky. You may find it’s very similar- PJH

4. Leslie

We’ve always made this without breadcrumbs and never with apples – pineapple squares or apricot squares – oh, so good. Now I’ve got to try the apple version. Thanks for the great ideas!

Leslie, what did you use for the fillings? Dried apricots? Fresh pineapple? Inquiring bakers want to know! :) PJH

5. Maria

Oh my goodness…this looks amazing and is PERFECT for us right now… we are harvesting our bumper crop of apples… peeling every day for applesauce and apple cake and apple pie.
    This recipe is excellent for that little piece ~ that little taste you want.

Visiting Norwich, VT was a great summer trip ~ we are still enjoying the treats we brought home!
    We picked up an apple peeler while at the King Arthur Flour Bake shop this summer. I’ve been using it a lot!
    I made King Arthur Flour English muffins today… they were fabulous!
    Have a wonderful September week~
    Maria

Maria, I envy you – your own crop of apples! Enjoy… thanks for visiting us this summer, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the “harvest” from your trip. Happy apple season – PJH

6. HMB

I’m going to have to try your Bienenstich. The cake was one of my dad’s favorites, but my mom, normally a fabulous baker, never ventured to attempt one again after she had one explode all over her oven and make a horrible mess!

This apple slab looks great, and now that apples should start arriving in my farm share box, I’ll have to give it a try. Love that apple peeler/corer gizmo — that’s one gadget that really works! To any apple pie baker who doesn’t already have one: You MUST buy this gadget! It makes preparing apples for pie easy as pie.

An exploding Bienenstich – sounds like a good subject for our annual April 1 kitchen disasters post! And you’re right about the apple peeler/corer/slicer – it’s an old-fashioned tool that I simply wouldn’t live without, come apple time… I can peel, core, and slice an apple in under 10 seconds – yeah, I timed myself! It’s fun to make those lonnnnnnng peels, too… PJH

7. Sandy

How fun to see the Apple Squares my mom made when we were growing up. I too have made them over the years and continue to do so to this day. But never heard of putting panko bread crumbs (or any type of crumb) in the bottom but is a great idea. I ice them with a powdered sugar glaze. It does sound like a lot of us have inherited this old recipe and continue to make it…a testament to the deliciousness of the Apple Squares. My mom used to make them for our school bake sales when I was a kid and people snapped them up right away! And…I did the same for my kids bake sales years ago. We always made these squares in a sided cookie sheet, which requires a larger crust recipe. Apple Squares…apple pie to eat out of hand and on the go…how can it get any better than that! I too also make pineapple squares and they are a huge hit, especially at the holidays. The crust is a bit different though as it has some yeast in it.

You’re the second person who’s mentioned pineapple squares, Sandy. Is the filling made out of canned pineapple, or…? I like the crumbs in the bottom of the crust, as they absorb some of the apple juice and turn a bit soft/juicy themselves, while protecting the crust from becoming soggy. You’re right, apple-pie-to-go – can’t beat it! PJH

8. Irene in TO

I have archived many fruit bar recipes over the years. Crusts differ but fillings are common to all.

Pineapple filling–canned crushed pineapple, sugar to taste, cornstarch thickening cooked with the juice. Fold drained fruit back in with coconut or chopped nuts. You can use canned-in-juice or canned-in-syrup.

Apricot filling–chopped dried apricots simmered with water or orange juice until thick. Doesn’t need any starch, I usually add few drops almond extract.

Raisin filling–same as apricot, I add lemon juice.

Prune filling–same as apricot. I add grated lemon peel.

Rhubarb–use frozen fruit as it seems to set better than fresh. Simmer with sugar and cornstarch. Add dried cranberries for colour.

Cranberry-apple is my favourite. Dried cranberries chopped, apples grated, tapioca mixed in to thicken, let it sit 15 minutes, sugar only if necessary.

Measuring? Depends on the pan. 2 cups mix for 9″ x 9″.

Oh, boy… Thank you so much, Irene! PJH

9. ms.lauralou

Hi PJ,

I was *JUST* thinking about Apple Slab. I have my mother’s recipe and this was a staple at our house when I was a kid. I thought maybe with the apples this fall I would give it a go.

I have no idea if Apple Slab is a regional dessert or not, but in case it helps, she is from South Milwaukee, WI. In her version, there are no breadcrumbs to speak of, and the icing is the usual powder sugar/milk mix that is drizzled generously throughout, with about 40% of the pie’s surface still visible. She also used a jellyroll pan and crimped the edges like a usual pie.

Yum! That homemade taste can’t be duped! You have inspired me to give this a go. Thanks!

I think my grandma used to make this, too, and she’s from Wisconsin. Still, I believe Frank was from Massachusetts, so this probably isn’t very regional. Thanks for checking in- PJH

10. Samanthasmom

My husband saw the photo of this and jumped to the conclusion that the icing was caramel sauce. He looked so dejected when I told him it wasn’t that I made the apple slab and drizzled a homemade warm caramel topping over it. He was right- it was terrific.

11. jkls22

For those days when its too late to start a pie the Apple Pie Squares keep everyone happy. I don’t usually bother with any glaze. I’ve always used corn flakes but will try the panko next time. Great for the office, bake sales and kids lunches. Can’t wait to read details for the pineapple and apricot versions. Muggy 90 degree heat go away, its time to Bake in Vermont

12. acielenski

A treat by any other name…we call it Apple Slices. The main difference I can see is the receipe I have calls for crushed Vanilla Wafers in place of the bread crumbs.

13. hepokoski

I’ve been making this for many years under the name “apple slices”. I find the sweet icing balances better if the apples have a bit more spice. I make the cinnamon mix with some ground clove and nutmeg added in.

14. jennlievers

Yum, PJ that looks so good!

I have to bring a peach pie to a church function on the weekend and I think I’m going to try and make it “slab” style. Serving 2 dozen people is a definite asset!

Thanks for yet another perfectly timed blog post :)

15. Halfacreck

I made this for “coffee hour” at church when I had a surplus of apples. I got the idea from a friend who (like the old-timey recipe Marms) said, just make an apple pie in a 9×13 pan.
    I’m anxious to try using panko breadcrumbs! I usually beat 1 egg & swirl it around over the inside of the bottom crust before adding the apples & add 1Tbsp of flour to the cinnamon-sugar combo & toss it around with the apples, to keep the crust from getting too soggy.

16. Jenn B

Do you think this would work with finely ground whole wheat breadcrumbs? I don’t have Panko or corn flakes in the house, and I’d love to make this without a run to the store.

Sure, though I wouldn’t grind them too finely; not sawdusty. Toast them if you can so they’re crisp… PJH

17. ejgiese

Thanks for this recipe, I’m really looking forward to making this. Perfect for bake sales, potlucks, Scout dinners, etc.

I wonder, if you were to make a pumpkin filling, would you still use the panko?

No, no panko or other crumbs necessary for a pumpkin filling… PJH

18. aoifeofcheminnoir

A grandmotherly lady in my childhood would make this to give out to her neighbors. I loved apple but would crave cherry…when her sister would come down from michigan with baskets of cherries she’d make one just for me. When I saw your picture…I thought “maple glaze”,but apple cinnamon sounds great, too.

Oooh yeah, cherry sounds wonderful. With vanilla-almond glaze… Maybe some toasted almonds on top of the glaze? :) PJH

19. Leslie

I found the old pineapple square recipe – it goes back at least 50 years – on a scrap of paper in my recipe box – it’s very basic: 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 can crushed pineapple (do not drain). Mix together, put in pie crust (in cookie sheet with sides). Top with crust, bake 350 degrees 1/2 hour. Drizzle with frosting when cool.

Apricot squares involved using dried apricots, but I’ve lost the recipe – will have to ask my Mom.

Sounds delish, Leslie – thanks! PJH

20. Eat Good 4 Life

I am going to make this, it is going to go on my to do dessert list. Thanks, what a wonderful idea to make the pie on a square pan, much different and fun :-)

21. chris

My recipe is from my mom’s cousin, cookie sheet apple pie, sooo good! I’m going to try it with the caramel glaze, thanks for the idea Samanthasmom and hubby!

22. AaronF

This looks fantastic! It’s perfect. People who like crust can get the edge pieces and people who don’t like crust (are there really such people out there?) can get a center piece.

And now that my wife can run again I can bake sweets again too.

Thanks

Ah, glad to hear of your wife’s progress, Aaron. Hope you both (all?) enjoy this – PJH

23. bampam1

I’m salivating just reading the recipe………….Fall and apples (or pumpkin anything), my favorite combination’s.
    It’s just the two of us now, so I don’t need 16 servings of anything!!!!! So, I bake and share with my neighbors who have 3 growing children. Sorta helps “fill” the empty nest!

24. dunn2

This is perfect for all of those times that I’ve wanted to carry pie to the staff at the home office but one pie never seemed to be enough and two seemed like overkill.

My favorite crust is one you used in your Summertime Peach Pie, I’ve doubled it before when making two pies so that should work fine for this. Of course now I’m wishing eastern NC was apple country! Maybe a trip to the mountains is in order! Or maybe simply a trip to the state farmers market in Raleigh…where there’s a will, there’s a way!

25. dksbook10027

About your French “Bienenstich”-is it Gateau St. Tropez? I use a Sunset recipe for it. The filling is a combination of custard and whipped cream.

I am going to try your Bienenstich recipe. The German name comes from the boiled honey-cream glaze. Some bakeries in my hometown baked a lot of them every day, but they were called “Bee Hive Cake”, maybe because back then (1950′s) Bee Sting might have sounded unappetizing to the American mind.

The Bienenstich recipe I normally use also comes from Sunset. But the filling can be tricky, the custard must be very thick to stand up to the whipped cream, so your trick of using the gelatin might really help the filling stay intact and look good longer – enough to keep in the fridge for breakfast the next morning.

I so love and appreciate your work and your products. I keep pushing my local grocery (HEB in So TX) to carry more and more of your flour products. So when you drive to work in a snow storm this coming winter, remember that we appreciate all you do to help us perfect our baking.

26. nthompson

I’m with samanthasmom, I REALLY wanted that light brown sauce to be caramel!!!! Any suggestions for an easy caramel sauce recipe, before I grab my bottle of Smuckers? You might like the recipe found here. This makes a great caramel sauce. Mary @ The Baker’s Hotline

27. lindafarrington

This sounds wonderful!!! Do you think fuji apples will work and what about apple cider in place of the boiled cider in the glaze?? I think fuji apples would work well. Apple cider wouldn’t give as much flavor as the much more concentrated boiled cider. You might want to try frozen apple concentrate which you have thawed. That would add more flavor thena plain cider. Mary@ The Baker’s Hotline

28. fran16250

I made four apple pies yesterday but I still have apples left so I might just try this. But I have a question. Could I use a couple tablespoons of instant clearjel mixed into the sugar and skip the panko? I do have panko but I’ve been playing around with my instant clearjel and I am getting great results with it in all kinds of fruit fillings. I finally got an apple pie that cut into a fairly neat slice!
    I’d like to try the raisin squares. I used to love the ones by Nabisco (if I remember correctly) that my grandmother would buy for us when we were kids. Have not seen them around in years!

Instant Clear Jel will thicken the filling, but not prevent the filling from possibly soaking into the lower crust as the panko or cornflake crumbs would do. Irene @ KAF

29. edandclaire

Haven’t made this yet, but definitely on my list to bake this week. But, I had to tell you that your blogs are always a day-brightener……from the friendly-banter tone to the comments from your readers/users. All the helpful hints; but, I was especially moved by the woman from Toronto with her list of all the different fillings. It always bothers me when someone won’t share a recipe and it always fills me with joy when someone does. Yin and Yang, I guess.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your terrific site, recipes, products, and blogs.

30. clh2873

Boots!!!

I know, it seems like a strange name, but my husband calls it boots because his mom used to send it to him at Boy Scout camp in a box from a pair of boots. Treats from home were always attacked and eaten by all the guys working there, but a pair of boots sent from home cause “my other pair got wet”? Always safe from thieves. :)

I was just telling the kids that we’d have to make boots for daddy today and look what’s here reminding me. I just bought three ten pound bags of AP flour today and I have whole wheat flour to sneak in when the boot-purist isn’t looking ;) I’m off to peel some apples.

Those boots are made for shippin’ (and snackin’)! Thanks for sharing your great story with us! Irene @ KAF

31. majorswife

I use your no-roll vegetable oil pie crust for health reasons….by the way….it is very very good! I think I will see if I can use it for the Apple Slab and see if it would work. I have all of your books and your videos and take the Baking Sheet. I am so very impressed with your customer service!!!! Everyone at KAF is so nice. Keep up the good work!!!!
    I will let you know how the no-roll crust works with the Apple Slab.

Should work fine – it’ll be a bit more delicate to move around, I think, but as I said, don’t worry about any tears- they’re easily patched. Good luck, and enjoy! PJH

32. aweill80

I have seven children and I made these bars for years using sweetened and spiced applesauce or pumpkin for the filling, thickened with flour or cornstarch and boiled-down cheap apple juice from the store for the boiled cider on top. It takes about half an hour, to make, maybe 40 minutes but watch it carefully! Boiled cider with a little lime juice makes a wonderful dressing for fruit salad too.

33. Leialoha

You might think this is totally weird, but I got excited when I saw the picture in my email – thinking the glaze was made with peanut butter! (What can I say, I’m 8 months pregnant. lol)

The recipe as is however looks absolutely delicious – (and the pineapple version sounds to die for as well)! Oh how I wish my monitor came with smell/taste-o-vision. One can only dream..

I did have a bit of a laugh when I read – “Do you have pie crust phobia?” (I actually do!) It was as if you wrote that part just for me. This might just be the recipe to get my feet wet with – wish me luck!

… On a side note, if you do happen to be feelin’ froggy one day.. you could experiment with a peanut butter apple baked dish. Just.. innocently slippin’ the idea in your pocket, is all. :D

Good thought – peanut butter spread on apples was a favorite snack of mine as a kid. I can see apple cake with PB frosting, for sure. And – we definitely wish you luck with the pie crust! Remember, it’s rips and tears are always patchable, and filling covers a world of “sins…” :) PJH

34. Katherine

OOO. This looks like it could make me the hit of the office meeting. :) Any suggestion for an icing with a bit of a maple flavor?

Katherine, make the icing with maple syrup as the liquid, instead of boiled cider. Enhance with maple flavoring, if you have it. Should indeed be the hit of the meeting! PJH

35. marietta

This is a must “try recipe”. Apple pie has always been number one on my list. I prefer to to make a topping. For me, it is all about the crust. This is perfect for a crowd.

36. Tonia

We grow pears and it’s pear season out here in north central WA, so I’m going to try this with pears! Would be perfect to give to our pickers for their morning break; thanks for the great ideas!

37. jjungovic

The recipe sounds wonderful. Someone mentioned cherries!!! I have frozen michigan sour cherries. Any suggestions as to how I should prepare them for this type of recipe. Cherry is my husband’s all time favorite.

I’d suggest you pit the cherries, add sugar (maybe a touch of almond), and cook them down a bit to evaporate some of the liquid, before using as filling. Sounds good! PJH

38. carml13

Alongside a sheet cake for every event from baptism to graduation came French Apple Squares from Kay’s Bakery in Holyoke, MA. Raisins in the filling too, and a white glaze that dried to a crunch and was hurt your teeth sweet. I think they also do plain apple without the glaze and pineapple too. But French Apple were the best. I can’t wait to try my own! Thanks.

Raisins in the filling are definitely something to think about – I love raisins, I’d try that next time. Enjoy – PJH

39. Sig

OMG!!! This is almost identical to the Apfel Kuchen (Apple cake) that my mom makes from an old German family recipe!!

She didnt use Panko, but used flour to help keep the juices from being runny. And for the icing, she would use confectioners sugar, water and either vanilla or almond extract!!

This used to be my favorite as a kid.

Now…you have me wanting to buy apples and bake up one for myself even though I am on a diet! DARN IT!!!! :)
    Leave it to our blog writers…blowing diets left and right! Oh well, there is always tomorrow to begin that diet again. Elisabeth @ KAF

40. maruclare

My mother used to make a similar pastry using cherry pie filling instead of apples and a simple thin confectioners’ sugar glaze. It is still a family favorite. I have never seen it made by anyone else and have no idea where the recipe originated. It could be she substituted cherries for apples in a recipe like yours because we all liked cherries better!

41. heidystoob

Wow. I just made this recipe this morning to take over to my cousin’s tonight. I even bought an apple peeler/corer/slicer (which has truly changed my life). Each step looked just like your pictures, and it tastes fantastic!! Thanks so much for posting this…it will become a carry-in staple, I am sure!

Thanks for sharing your success here, Heidi – glad you like this rather humble dessert as much as I do! PJH

42. Betsy

This looks great, and I would love to make for my parents’ upcoming visit. Do you think it would freeze well if I made it a week ahead of time? Thanks!

Yes, Betsy, I think it would freeze just fine. If freezer space isn’t an issue, make it, but don’t bake. Wrap well, and freeze. The night before you want to serve, put it in the fridge to thaw. Next day, bake. Fresh baked! PJH

43. dmeaux1000

Another winner. It was so easy to make and so good. I used 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 cake flour and I used maple syrup in place of the boiled cider. I’m not fond of Panko bread crumbs so I crushed up some vanilla wafers in its place. Will definitely make it again and again.

44. ednliz

This sounds like the apple and raisin squares we used to get (many, many) years ago at the Scottish butcher and baker in Brooklyn, NY. he apple squares had a white glaze and the raisin squares had granulated sugar topping.

45. Sharon

This recipe sounds delicious. It reminds me of apple slices we used to get at a bakery on the south side of Chicago over 50 years ago and still in business selling those apple slices though it moved to a different neighborhood. I found a recipe in the Chicago Tribune many years ago for apple slices and make them every year when apples come out. It had the white glaze and no crumbs on the crust but I am looking forward to trying the Apple Slab. Love the name. Here in Las Vegas we are looking forward to Fall, at least I am.

46. pb413

Typically I don’t “do” apple pie. I don’t make it and I don’t eat it. (Horrible, I know). But I made this recipe in lieu of a cake for my pie-lovin’ Mom’s birthday and everyone loved it! Even me! Super easy and super yummy! Thanks for a great recipe!

47. Ghille

I learned this recipe from a sweet old lady back in 1968. She called it Apfelschnitten… which is apple slices in German!

I used to double the recipe and make it in a jelly roll pan!

Then I started doubling that! and making 2 jelly roll pans and it still would disappear within a couple days!

Very tasty indeed!!

48. Sharon

This apple slab recipe is just what I need to serve about 20 or so quilters next Monday. The pan in the picture is not a 9×13, but a square pan, which I don’t have. What do you suggest instead?

Please reply to hastings@centurytel.net – Thanks, Sharon

The pan in the picture is a 9″ x 13″ – it just looks square. Go for it! PJH

49. milkwithknives

HOORAY! I did it! I think this may be my first ever successful fruit pie, as I usually end up with pie soup and a disintegrated bottom crust.

Speaking of which, this was also my very first good pie crust. I watched Susan’s how 2 video twice, then called your baking hotline and asked a few questions, and voila! Delicious, flaky crust.

But back to the slab pie, what a masterpiece. Mine looked just like your photos (though slightly uglier), and the taste was perfect. The layer of crumbs (bran flakes) on the bottom is genius, and sucked up all the extra juice that usually ruins my pies. Who would ever have predicted that a recipe so basic could produce such a smashing result? Thanks a MILLION for leading me to my first pie triumph.

You’re very welcome – glad you enjoyed it! PJH

50. Itsalulu

Finally got a chance to make the Apple Slab and it is a keeper!! Wow, we all loved it. It’s funny, I tried it after it had cooled and the boiled cider topping was poured on and it was jsut o.k. but the next morning, after the flavors had a chance to meld, it was fabulous! I love the panko bread crumb addition and plan to add it to my other favorite apple pie recipes. Thanks KAF–I think you should put this on your KAF-guaranteed list!

51. tbj

PERSIAN BUNS! Still waiting for them. Brad from the old Camden Bakery WILL NOT give the recipe up! I hope (many of us from the Camden area) hope you can resurrect the recipe!!!! You’ll be a hero of sort :)

I have a description, but not a recipe. Tell me if this sounds right: deep-fried cinnamon buns with icing? Most versions call for raspberry icing, but I don’t remember the icing as raspberry… What do you think? And, I did re-create the Camden Home Bakery’s Chinese Cookies – check ‘em out- :) PJH

52. bunditoast

This sure looks to me like my Mom’s Apple Slices bars; sans the cinnamon glaze. She used corn flakes in her recipe. And a lemon powdered sugar glaze. Prior to baking she would whip egg whites to glaze the top crust, bake the bars and glaze the top while still warm.
    This won’t detract me from trying your recipe. I love apple pie that delights my eye. KAC recipes are great.
    Mmmmm. Hers sound yummy, too. Thanks for sharing! Elisabeth

53. jpyrzynski

My mother made these (somewhat different recipe) and she called it “Apple Slices” – perhaps that would be a more enticing name. She would freeze individual slices for putting in someone’s lunch. They were nicely thawed and delicious by lunch time.

54. SRar

I make this in a jelly roll pan with apricots and tart cherries. No corn flakes or panko or anything. You need four cans of fruit…not pie filling. Two apricot and two tart cherries is a very good ratio! Drain and spread on the bottom crust. Cover with the top and crimp the edges. Bake. Cool. Drizzle with glaze.

What’s so great about this recipe is that you can get up in the middle of the night and eat a piece with no tell-tale knife and plate! ;-)

55. snale

This looks so good it is a MUST MAKE for me.I have never used Banko but will give it a try and will probably use a tad bit less cider for the topping but your pictures make my mouth water just looking at that Slab! Thanks:)

56. E. Plec

Enjoyed all the comments re apple slab. It is a family favorite. I have been baking this treat for decades always using crushed cornflakes under the apples. After the pie cools I use a drizzle of powdered sugar and lemon juice. For my family it’s not complete without the sugar/lemon touch. So easy–sooo good.

57. skeptic7

I just made this yesterday. I didn’t glaze it but served it with vanilla ice cream. Its very good. I used an oil pie crust which was rolled between freezer paper. I found that I had to use 4 cups of flour to get enough pie crust.

58. skeptic7

Did this again, this time with Northern Spy apples and the boiled cider glaze. I used cinnamon and nutmeg and cloves and 2/3 cup sugar. The boiled cider glaze was a little too sweet. Next time I will either leave out the glaze or use less of it.

59. alexxsandrageo

LOVE the name. Maybe because when my boys were young, they liked to say, “Give me a slab of that…” or “…Slab me a piece of that Ma, will you” They thought they were talking like pioneers, I guess.

I have one baking in the oven right now, tho I used my already-made piecrust (a great one from Make-a-Mix cookery). Luckily I JUST received my boiled cider …wanted it for your upside-down-apple cake to serve to my club meeting next week. We’ve never had pie, I mean SLAB with glaze before, so this will be a treat.

THANKS!

60. Kim

My husband’s grandmother used to make this. Her recipe is called “Flat Apple Pie” and uses a jelly roll pan. I just made one a couple of weeks ago.

61. Liz

I can’t wait to try this. I”m really excited about using panko crumbs in bottom of pie. All my fruit pies get soggy, was about ready to give up making fruit pies. Gee, there truly is a pie crust GOD.

62. Loungekitty

The Marseilles specialty you are talking about is called a “Nid d’Abeille” ( Beehive ), though I’ve been living near Marseille for 20 years and never come across one there… But I when I was a child it was my post-orthodontics appointment treat in Frejus, on the Côte d’Azur, near Nice… It was the fancy version of the “Tarte Tropézienne”, which excludes the topping and so is basically the brioche and the pastry cream…, which is still my younger brother’s favourite dessert. He’s 9 years younger and had straight teeth, so he never knew the delights of the Nid d’Abeille… ;-)

Thanks so much for connecting here – I love how this is a forum for information shared from all over the world. I guess those orthodontist appointments were worth it in more ways than one, weren’t they? :) PJH

63. marbet04

Hi I just found this website…..love it. I am wanting to order thre boiled cider, however I don’t know how much I will use it, can I sub something else, or would you recommend this as a staple in my pantry? Thanks

You may substitute an equal amount of apple juice concentrate. Boiled Cider is a fairly common ingredient here in New England, from baking to beans and marinades. If you are an adventurous baker and cook, I think it is worth having a bottle of Boiled Cider on hand. Store in the fridge after opening. Frank @ KAF.

64. "Ann in TN"

This is in response to PJH in regards to the Pineapple Squares recipe. The recipe I have been making for 50+ years was originally developed by Fleischmann’s Yeast and appeared in newspapers and magazines in their advertising. It has a very easy to make yeast based crust that is more like pastry than pie. I have been making this since I was 10 years old and it never disappoints. You could use the filling recipe with your recipe or your filling with the crust below. Couldn’t lose with either combination.

* Exported from MasterCook *

2/3 cup milk
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 4-ounce package Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast
    1/4 cup very warm water
    4 egg yolks — lightly beaten
    4 cups sifted flour
    1 cup margarine or butter — (2 sticks)
    For the Glaze:
    1 cup powdered sugar — sifted
    1 tablespoon milk — (1-2)

Mix 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in egg yolk and pineapple chunks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth, about 7 minutes. Cool to lukewarm while preparing the dough.

Scald milk; add 1 teaspoon sugar; cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup very warm water; add to milk mixture. Stir in beaten egg yolks.

Measure flour into large bowl. Cut butter or margarine into flour using pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in yeast and milk mixture; blend thoroughly. Dough will be soft and moist. Divide in half.

Roll half out on a floured board, approximately 16 by 10 inches or the size of your jellyroll pan with some overlap. Transfer dough to ungreased jellyroll pan. Spread with cooled pineapple filling. Roll remaining dough large enough to cover filling and place on top of the filling. Seal edges together.

Snip surface of dough with scissors to let steam escape. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Drizzle with powdered sugar glaze, if desired, while still warm. Cut into squares and serve.

To make glaze: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk. Stir until smooth. Makes 48 squares

Wow, thank you SO much for this, Ann – can’t wait to try them! Some of these older recipes just hit the spot, don’t they? PJH

65. AngieHam

I found you on Pinterest and made this last night. I used store-bought crust, crushed Cheerios because I didn’t have plain crumbs or corn flakes, and the maple syrup glaze. It turned out Awesome and Delicious!

66. waikikirie

I have been eyeing this blog since it’s premire 2 years ago. I will be making this for Thanksgiving this year. I will be the one to ask….how far in advance can I make this?? Does it have to be made the day of, or can I make it Wednesday afternoon/evening and then add the glaze on Thursday. At this time of year I am thankful for many things (health, home and family) but I can’t help but be thankful for the other things in life that help give it quality…..That’s all of you fine folks at KA and this wonderful blog…xoxox

Thank you very much for your kind words! This recipe should be fine to make a day in advance, but I would glaze it the day your were planning on serving it.-Jon

67. neverseenblue

If you make it ahead of time is it best stored at room temperature or should it be refrigerated? I would strongly suggest freezing the apple slab because of the apples and the sugar: the apples will release liquid once topped with the cinnamon sugar mixture and they will also turn very brown. Once topped with the second crust and cut with vents, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until the day you want to bake. Then let thaw on the counter for 20-30 minutes and bake as directed, possibly extending the time a bit to ensure the crust browns and the filling cooks through! -Kim@ KAF

68. Bonny

I love the Apple Slabs …had never used Panko crumbs on the bottom crust but love the results!!!!

Bonny, it’s fun picking up new tips, isn’t it? Especially when the end result is so tasty!! PJH

69. Janine Grinage

That looks like a dessert my great aunt made a long time ago. She called it “Apple Jack”. Looks fantastic.

70. Debra Pepin

Just made this yesterday. I made my own pastry blend flour. (1/2 all purpose KA and 1/2 cake flour)
    They recipe turned out perfect! LOVE IT and so doesn’t the elderly aunts and uncles who got a care package. Thanks for the great recipe. The crust rolled out fine. Chilled from the refrigerator, you have to use muscle to roll is out firmly to size. Did not need any extra crust for this recipe.

Thanks for the feedback, Debra – I’ll have to try it with the pastry flour sometime, or maybe make my own mix, like you did. It’s a great old-fashioned recipe, isn’t it? And this is the perfect season for it… PJH

71. Joyce

I’m so going to try this with gluten-free pie crust for Thanksgiving! I’m a Celiac, as are 4 of my grandkids. I’ll let you know how successful it is! This way, everyone can have apple pie!

72. Greg

I prefer my apple pie made like this! I often double my recipe to make a even larger one…My crust has egg yolks, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, a tad of baking powder, & ice water in it..Glad to see your recipe also has less of a sugar mixture on the apples, I likewise cut back on the sugar on mine but increase the cinnamon, also use a bit of flour in the sugar cinnamon mix, it never lasts long enough to get soggy! I would NOT want to put any icing on it..My recipe also called for icing but it’s just to sweet…

Greg, thanks for adding your comments here. It’s nice to hear from other kitchens out there! :) PJH

Yes, Nora, that would be a good substitute. Just trying to soak up some of the excess juices, so flour would work; or crumbs from a GF loaf, if you had any. Good luck – PJH

73. Diane

This looks delicious. I love reading all the comments and tips. I plan on making this the day before T-day and take with us to VA in the car. Should I keep cold or will room temp be ok?

I would suggest to keep it cold if you have a long drive ahead of you! Otherwise the slab will be fine at room temperature when it is going to be served. Jon@KAF

74. Sherrill

This confection looks like heaven on a plate! I’m just puzzled by how you get 2 dozen pieces of anything out of a 9 X 13 pan. Sounds like more of a “taste” than a “serving,” at least in our family of big dessert eaters. So I think I’ll be making two of them for Thanksgiving!

Servings are pretty subjective! We prefer a smaller piece as the Apple Slab is quite rich, but feel free to make larger slices. Jon@KAF

Boiled cider is a syrup that is made from concentrating (boiling) cider! Each pint is boiled down from a gallon of cider. Jon@KAF

75. Mary Perry

My aunt had a house full of boys and she made something very similar that was delicious! She called it Apple Slices, and she used a powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, glaze. Needless to say, it never lasted long!

I’ll bet despite its size it was gone in a flash, Mary – thanks so much for sharing your memories here. PJH

76. Jeanette R. (Cook) Briggs

this looks just like my ex-mother in law’s apple sheet pie….and sounds very familiar. I can’t wait to make it. We, my ex-mom in law and I have remained friends, but are miles apart. This will be a special treat for me. Thank you so much.

Jeanette, that’s wonderful that you two have stayed close. Nothing like a good apple pie recipe to help reinforce the bond, eh? Hope this works out well for you. PJH

77. Elizabeth

If I attempted to make a GF version…do you think that GF rice crispies would be a good substitute for the panko?

78. Laurie

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a HUGE hit. I have one piece left but only because I hid it. I used the pastry recipe I always use (from my 40 year old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook) and I’m glad you mentioned several times in the directions that it wouldn’t be pretty and would require a lot of patching because that’s exactly what happened. I didn’t even cut vents into the top because the patchwork of pastry made their own vents. I also made my own boiled cider since I wasn’t able to get to the store to buy some. My daughter used the glaze on the gluten-free gingerbread cake she made, too and it was really good.

79. Robin

What is a substitute for buttermilk powder? Is it needed in the recipe – can I just leave it out since I do not have this ingredient?

Yes, Robin, you can just leave it out – it simply adds a bit of flavor and tenderness, but isn’t critical to the recipes success. Enjoy – PJH

80. Cynthia Wilkins

My grandma made a apple pie in a 9×13 pan topped with a white type of frosting (powder sugar, butter and milk). She called it Apple slices. I make it now, family still love it. So simple and yummy.

81. CJ Mark

my mother always made more of a biscuit crust and then topped it with whipped egg whites edge to edge instead of a crust top and then glazed it with a powder sugar milk drizzle after baking – she called it Apple Pan Doubty

82. Lynda

Interesting to use the Panko crumbs to absorb liquid and to keep the bottom from getting soggy. Would this be something to add to other fruit pies/cobblers? I love the crust – but not when it becomes gooey and soggy. Thanks!!

Hi Lynda-
      The same principal certainly would hold if you wanted to use the Panko crumbs in a pie or cobbler to help protect your crust. Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

83. T.K. Whalen

For the lady with the no roll vegetable oil crust – there is a rolled version – just use 2 pieces of waxed paper – and roll the dough between it – you can get it very thin that way and it won’t tear too much

84. Julie

We always sprinkle dry tapioca beads in the bottom of a fruit pie. It absorbs the moisture and makes a great filling. Use enough to lightly cover the bottom crust.

85. Jenice

My husband’s mother made this in the 40s and passed the recipe to me when I became part of the family. We have always used corn flakes and just a light powder sugar glaze. Favorite of our whole family.

86. Heidi

I got so excited when I saw this recipe! Had to read it and see if it’s the same one my family always made… Yep, it is! We called them apple squares and used corn flakes with a powdered sugar glaze. My mom would make other flavors too. My favorite was cherry, followed by blueberry. I was allergic to milk as a child so my mom made them with shortening in the crust and water in the glaze. I did the same last time I made them and still got rave reviews! Such a great holiday tradition! Thanks for sharing them :)