Traveling with the King

Baking sisters from Ohio

These baking sisters are the third generation of a grain-farming family in Ohio. We met them earlier this month during the first week of our Traveling Baking Demos, when we kicked off the Fall 2010 season with stops in Ohio and Indiana.

Interacting with our customers from around the country is, for us, the highlight of these trips; we always enjoy learning more about you as we share with you the art and joy of baking.

Frank from our Baking Hotline and test kitchen had the honor of instructing our first run of classes, with more than 1,300 attendees from as far away as Kentucky and West Virginia.

So do you have pie anxiety? A fear of baking with yeast? If you’ve ever made a pie crust that’s tough or just won’t hold together, or perhaps a loaf of yeasted “bread” that would better serve as a doorstop, you are not alone. We’ve found that pie crusts and yeast doughs are the most intimidating things to make for the average home baker – and that’s exactly why we visit cities nationwide each year offering free demos on just these topics.

Our Traveling Baking Demos bring instruction from King Arthur Flour right to you, so you can learn recipes, tips, and tricks for your best baking ever. In Perfect Pies & Tarts, attendees learn how to achieve the perfectly flaky pie crust, create a sweet and sturdy tart shell, and prepare delicious fillings. Sweet Yeast Bread covers a basic yeast dough recipe and techniques, from ingredients and mixing, to shaping everything from cinnamon rolls to decorative braided loaves.

The demos are free to all – and we work with partners Cabot Creamery Cooperative, Argo and Kingsford’s Corn Starch, and Red Star Yeast to keep it that way. So look for their products in your local supermarket, and look for great items from them on the prize table at our demos!

Throughout the season, instructors from our test kitchen, Baking Hotline, and Baking Education Center will share their expertise at demos in Oregon and Washington (October 20-23); the Washington, D.C., area (November 11-14); and Texas (November 29-December 2). Our winter run, January through March, will take us to Alabama, Michigan, Colorado, and Eastern New England – so keep your eyes on our schedule for all the details! We look forward to seeing you on the road.

Allison Furbish

Allison Furbish is a native of the Upper Valley, where King Arthur Flour is based, and an avid lifelong baker especially enthusiastic about anything chocolate.

comments

1. Beth

I might be forced to make a 3-hour trip to Maryland next month to get my King Arthur “fix.” I attended a KAF demo several years ago, and it was just great. There was a very congenial crowd – bakers must be naturally nice!

P.S. Put the great Commonwealth of Virginia on your traveling schedule next time, please.

2. Blakeley (Cupcake Princess)

I went to the baking demo last spring when you guys went to Salt Lake. I really liked it, now I can bake yeast breads and pies so much better now. Thanks!

That’s wonderful to hear! Happy baking- Allison

3. Shirley

Where in Alabama/ It’s not too far from Memphis…Love to go to one of your classes.

We’ll be around Huntsville, Birmingham, and Montgomery – check the schedule later this fall for details! -Allison

4. zanychar

I’m so excited you’re coming to Colorado! Looking forward to some high altitude baking fun. I’ve been experimenting with recipe adaptations for bread and could really use some expert pointers! See you in 2011.

Great! In the meantime, have you seen the high-altitude baking information on our website? It might be of some help. See you next year! -Allison

5. sandra

I feel very left out! I’m British, living in Spain, so have never had the chance to meet anyone from KA (sob, sob).
    Only good thing is that my son has been in the USA this summer and is bringing me back some of the Osmotolerant yeast for me to try.
    Please could you do a piece on baking croissants from scratch? I’d love to get on one of those professional pastry courses that I keep reading about! I’m forever trying to perfect the perfect croissants. There seems to be so much conflicting advice out there on the web and numerous books but I’d love your take on it!
    I’ll add it to the wish list for blogs in 2011 Sandra. ~ MaryJane

6. bsteimle

Will I have to keep checking through the website for the future schedule? Or will it be on a blog or facebook post? I live in Alabama and am excited to know where your show will be.

We’ll definitely post on Facebook, but check the schedule for all the details! Thanks for your interest. -Allison

7. eclaera

I’m so excited y’all are coming to Alabama! I’ve never attended a baking demo and now I can’t wait! Thanks in advance!!

Great – we’ll see you there! -Allison

8. bellesaz

If you add California to the wish list.. don’t forget Phoenix right next door. Nothing nicer than winter here! :)

We came to Phoenix just a couple of years ago – and it was a nice treat to escape in the middle of the New England winter! I’m sure we’ll be back… :-) -Allison

9. Zod

Thank you for the terrific demo sessions. And how thoughtful of you to send us all home with a gift, too! A request: would Frank post his wonderful recipes on the web site? Especially the how-to for the tricky but tempting chocolate tart crust–that weaving was just magic. You may just make a pie baker of me yet. (And I’ll be happy if it looks half as good as your splendid apple pie did.)

Thanks for your enthusiastic review of the Travelling Baking Demos. We’re hoping you received the recipe booklet at the demo, and we’ve added your suggestion for the posting the weaving technique directions to our customer observations. Irene @ KAF

10. Celeste

Please, a foray into the Deep South? The Gulf Coast needs some flour power.

Thanks for your kind invitation to travel south with our Travelling Baking Demos! We’ll be in Texas November 29 – December 2 this year. Your request has been added to our customer observations to add more southern U.S. locations in the future. Irene @ KAF.

11. Jen

I went to your Columbus, OH demos. I frequently make a pizza crust recipe from a Gourmet cookbook. Usually I use a jar of generic Kroger bread machine yeast. Tonight I used my Red Star yeast sample and OMG, it’s like I ordered a wood fired pizza from a gourmet pizzeria! Thanks for the sample!

12. Alsace

I was so tempted to dump the idea of going with my husband to the Cinncinnati Reds game to attend your demo, but it was our 10th anniversary present. You should come to Kentucky, too!

13. knemeyer

What do you have against So Nevada and So California? It seems you regularly stop in North CA, but rarely So CA and never in So Nevada. Believe it or not, people do bake in those two areas! I have been converting friends and family to your products and it would be nice to see you guys here in Las Vegas to show them your support of us Sin City bakers!

Thanks for converting your friends & family! Sorry we haven’t been to see you yet – Maybe in the future! kelsey@KAF