Tell us what you’re making for Thanksgiving–

What’s the ONE thing you simply have to bake for Thanksgiving every year?

When we asked that question last year, we got an avalanche of comments. It was great fun, everyone sharing plans for their favorite Thanksgiving treats.

Year in and year out, my absolute must-make at Thanksgiving is Golden Pull-Apart Butter Buns.

Then there’s Apple Pie – of course.

But this year, requests are pouring in for “that cranberry cake you made last year.”

Snuggled amid the pumpkin and apple and pecan pies, the cherry cheesecake, and the gingerbread cookies on last year’s Thanksgiving groaning board, this humble, simple cake disappeared before any of its richer, fancier cohorts.

Problem is, I have two favorite cranberry cake recipes, and can’t remember which I brought to the feast last year.

Was it Cranberry Cake #1, with its cranberries on top?

Or Cranberry Cake #2, with a thin layer of cake atop cranberries and walnuts (pictured at the top of this post)?

Maybe I’ll do both and stage a taste-off!

And, since the recipe for cake #2 isn’t posted on our site, here it is, courtesy of the late Laurie Colwin via Gourmet magazine. Though I’ve tweaked Laurie’s recipe a bit, it’s still hers. Thanks, Laurie… all these years later, you’re still making your fans happy.

Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a 9” square pan.

Pour 2 cups fresh or frozen/thawed cranberries into the pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped walnuts on top.

Mix the following:

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt*
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
2 large eggs
1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

*Use 1/4 teaspoon salt if you’re using salted butter.

Pour the batter over the cranberries/nuts. Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is starting to brown. And yes, the recipe is correct as written; there’s NO baking powder or baking soda.

But back to my original question: What are YOU baking for Thanksgiving? Tell us about your Thanksgiving specialties, your personal favorite dish, memories, anything and everything having to do with Thanksgiving baking.

Thanksgiving is all about sharing. Please share you story: with us here at KA, and with your thousands of fellow blog readers. Personally, I’m looking forward to finding another MUST BRING to add to my dinner rolls and cranberry cake – how about you?

comments

1. Pat B from MN

My must make is my Grandma’s Cold Water Biscuits. They are a yeast roll made from the day’s bread baking, you reserve part of the dough and add to it. I tell my son’s about my grandma whom I miss dearly and being boys they let me know they have heard the story too many times before. On the same note, if they think they are not being made they let me know that I have to make them.

My youngest wants to know why on earth we have to have turkey, he would much rather have prime rib and my oldest let’s me know if the flavors of anything is not quite right (they are young adults). They know just which buttons to push-sigh. In my book heaven forbid I do not make everything from scratch, and a couple of years that included growing the turkeys and most of the meal from the garden. Many years, my husband, son’s and I would be still in the middle of harvest (this year we are done). I would take enough time off of the combine or tractor to get the turkey in the oven, and in a few hours someone would take over and I could finish the meal. I would not trade all of this for the world.

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

2. Lina

Oh my goodness! Those buns (and pie…and cake!) look sooo good!

We don’t really do anything spectacular on Thanksgiving, but I would say the best dishes we make are pretty darn good: cranberry salad/fluff, fluffy whole wheat yeast rolls, spectacular gravy, cornbread pudding (sorry to admit with Jiffy’s help…anyone got a *homemade* recipe?) and, my favorite, Cooks Illustrated’s pumpkin pie! We also make pear pie, which is another good choice, with it being custardy and cinnamon-sugary and fruity all at once. We always have mulled cran/apple cider, and nary a drop goes untouched.

I always have memories of family togetherness, though we only celebrate with our immediate family. We laugh, we share memories, we grow closer through both meal preparation and meal consumption. We give out cookie trays to friends, and not only is it a blast making such different varieties, but it means so much to take time out of our day to give Thanksgiving “gifts” to someone else. At home, never is the TV turned on; instead we gather around and talk- talk of past, talk of present, talk of thankful remembrances, and talk of dreams to be thankful for.

This year we were invited to our very dear friends’ house to have Thanksgiving with them. We split the menu to evenly to divide the preparation (no way was I NOT making the pumpkin pie! :) ), but it will be interesting, as they are from Yankee roots and have Yankee traditions, while our family is Southern through and through. I have no doubt that we will gain many memories to talk of for years to come, and not only will our family grow close together, but our family will grow even closer to this family as well. The day will be full of hymn singing, limerick reciting, and game playing…oh, and turkey eating!

Happy Thanksgiving!

3. mariacc2

Hi! I love making my mother-in-laws traditional green bean casserole… you know…the one with the cream of mushroom soup!
    I add real mushrooms and real onion rings… it disappears!
    We also have a tradition of making Kentucky cornbread, with cornbread mix, cream corn and regular corn … that also disappears by the end of the day ~
    Apple pies are courtesy of our backyard apple trees ~ for these we give thanks to their Creator ~ they are part of our own harvest!
    I will be bringing out my 10lb Tupperware container of KAF tomorrow!
    *God bless you all at King Arthur Flour!
    and Happy, Happy Thanksgiving!
    ~Maria

4. penandra

James Beard’s Sweet Potato rolls . . . . these are the best rolls and go together quickly on Thanksgiving morning — or the weekend before (like I did this year) and parbake them. Either way they come hot out of the oven for dinner. I bake them close together (like the KA PullApart Rolls). I have to make a double batch because everyone wants some to take in their “leftover kit”!

The Washington post did a feature on these a couple of years ago (you can find it here

5. eleyana

That’s just the trouble – picking ONE thing. I almost always make way too much stuff! This year I will be bringing the standard and much requested cranberry yeast bread, turkey stuffing bread croutons for the dressing, two batches of cranberry sauce (different flavors), KA’s pumpkin cinnamon muffins in mini loaf form, and a pumpkin cheesecake. So far. I am also sorely tempted to make the pull apart butter buns! I guess since I have to make most things from scratch due to my daughter’s food sensitivities, this is my chance to bake for fun. :)

6. Teresa

I guess my tradition with the holidays would be that I’d to try new things. I don’t regularly make the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, so I am more free to try new things out and try them out for work potlucks or get togethers. This year I am making the KA sweet potato rolls. They are soooo good!

7. daphnewoman

Well – so far two batches of rolls – one whole wheat and the other white; both brown and serve; my son is bringing pies because he says, “You know, Mom – pie is easy as pie!!” It really is in our family! My special favorite stuffing with mandarin oranges in it; not too many side dishes – absolutely NO dreaded green bean casserole. Lots of people I love most in the world to share the day with – it’s heaven.

8. bachaney

I have to make your Parker House Rolls–they’re delicious!

And a pumpkin cheesecake. I think my family would vote me off the island if I didn’t bring it!

9. dapperdoxie

I HAVE to bake my Mom’s pumpkin pie…I don’t ever make it any other time of the year, because my DH doesn’t like pumpkin pie (strange I know! LOL) but I do have to do it then. Yummy!

I have some homemade rolls already made and in the freezer just have the pies to bake. One of the other things I HAVE to have for Thanksgiving isn’t baked…but IS a MUST. That is a couple fruit salads…I just LOVE fruit but don’t make the salads much, usually just for Thanksgiving. Guess we have to have something that is special for my favorite Holiday. :)

10. maggielauerrdh

Both cranberry cake recipes look fabulous. I’m just tickled to have made my first cranberry sauce from scratch this year. I always thought that cranberries grew in cans…. HEE!

My thanksgiving roundup (http://www.othersideoffifty.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-roundup.html) for this year, and basically every year includes dinner rolls, my special Thanksgiving noodles, sourdough stuffing, and this year I’m going to make “day ahead” mashed potatoes so I don’t end up screaming like a mad woman come serving time on Thanksgiving.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I’m thankful for every single recipe of yours that I’ve tried over the years. I give King Arthur sole credit for the success of my recipes which equals to my blog’s success. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you King Arthur folks!

11. K2

What I always make for my sis every year at the holidays — Gluten-Free Brazilian Cheese Buns. She can’t have wheat and she can’t have yeast but these are delicious!

This year, thanks to you guys, I have a recipe instead of having to buy a mix! Thank you for that!

12. KimberlyD

Pistachio salad, and kidney bean salad.

Pistachio salad
    1 tub of cool whip (thawed)
    1 box Jell-o Pistachio instant pudding
    1 can of crushed pineapple (drained)
    mini marsh mellows (as much as you like)

Mix cool whip and pistachio pudding, add crushed pineapple and mini marsh mellows, mix well. Refrigerate till ready to eat.

Kidney Bean Salad
    1 can of corn (drained)
    1 can of kidney beans (drained, light or dark don’t matter)
    2 TBS of mayo
    chopped onion (if using green onion use all of it)
    diced carrot
    diced celery
    diced red pepper
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together in one bowl. Don’t add to much mayo for it will get to watery. Served chilled. You can add any crunchy type of vegetable you like, radish, different color peppers, red onions.

13. Kim

It’s not Thanksgiving without my grandma’s dressing recipe with 8 cups of apples, celery, crushed saltines, currants, sugar, cinnamon, and butter. It’s a sweet dressing and fabulous. Apples take center stage, not bread cubes like other dressings. YUM!

14. SMJ

I am baking the chocolate cranberry pie from your recent blog, the pumpkin bread pudding and we baked a loaf of your pecan wheat bread to be used in the stuffing/ pudding. As I have stated before I am a big fan of your recipes. Keep them coming! Happy Thanksgiving.

15. jennifer6789

I put myself in charge of desserts – I am making four pies and a pumpkin cheesecake. I am making the pecan-chocolate chunk pie (made that last year to rave reviews) as well as the Maple Walnut pie, both from KAF. Also going to make a classic pumpkin pie, as well as a sweet potato pie with a marshmallow meringue topping. All new recipes (except the pecan pie), so I hope they come out well! Made my crusts this weekend using Martha Stewart’s Pate Brisee recipe. They are chilled and ready for me to roll tomorrow morning!

16. Sue

I wish my family loved cranberries the way I do. I’d definitely make one (or both) of those cakes!
    I’ll be baking homemade dinner rolls. I was going to try the KAF soft white dinner roll recipe this year, although usually I just wing it and use my own recipe. Is there a reason you prefer the recipe you linked to vs. the soft white dinner rolls?
    My son will insist on Graham Cracker Cream Pie, and I’m really truly making pecan pie this year. I’m not yielding on the issue. Really!

I like the “buxomness” of the pull-aparts. They’re made in 8″ rather than 9″ pans, so rise a bit taller. Also I like the butter brushed on top… :) But they’re very similar; take your pick, you can’t go wrong. PJH

17. Beth

Must make Texas Cornbread-Sausage Stuffing (old recipe from Southern Living), or they’d be a riot. Also, sweet potato and pecan pies with whipped cream on top. The soft dinner rolls, and my husband’s famous giblet gravy. I don’t have to mention the turkey, do I? That goes without saying (baked in a Reynolds cooking bag – the only way to go). Plus side dishes of mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and plain green beans (frankly, we don’t care for the “dreaded” green bean casserole).

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

18. lauried

I always make two recipes from the 1999 Cooks Illustrated Nov/Dec issue: Cranberry sauce with pears and fresh ginger and Best Dinner Rolls. The triangular-shaped rolls puff up like little pillows. They taste fantastic and are a cinch to make. This issue also included a section on turky-roasting which I refer to each year. Other favorites are my grandmothers sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top. It’s so retro, but loved by everyone.

My family doesn’t like stuffing or mashed potatoes, which is very strange, I know. So we usually have a lot of fresh fruit, particularly clementines, maybe a spinach salad, and sometimes some spiced nuts. To finish off the meal, I make a Sara Lee apple pie. I tried for years to make one, but this one tastes better than anything I ever put on the table. I make a homemade pumpkin pie and a banana cake. Then it’s time for some football!

19. mreader

I’ll use my mother’s recipe to make pumpkin pie, and we’ll have the green bean casserole, and my husband will make the cranberry sauce. Cross your fingers for me that the turkey is thawed, because I forgot to take it out of the freezer till yesterday morning!

20. jean

For the extended family potluck feast I’m contributing your Parker House rolls (for 36!), your Gruyere Cheese bread and old-fashioned cranberry sauce to compliment the turducken, pheasant and salmon.

For our immediate family dinner (Wednesday night), brined turkey on the grill, another batch of rolls, winter squash from my garden, Yukon Gold garlic mashed potatoes, my grandmother’s pomegranate/grapefruit salad and pumpkin pie. Ahhh, Thanksgiving is kitchen bliss.

21. Jennifer

This year I’m getting off easy. We’re going to my in-laws’ on Thursday and my parents’ on Friday. I will be making Cloverleaf rolls and sweet potato & apple bake for my in-laws’ and for my parents’ I’m just bringing a salad. Mom’s found a new bread recipe that she want to try. Oh yeah and a chocolate cake for my daughter’s 7th birthday.

I’m so disappointed I have 4 sugar pumpkins I need to cook down and several bags of frozen pumpkin and I don’t get to make anything with pumpkin this year.

Though my husband does want to invite friends over on Sunday, so I might do something.

22. shortybiscuit

I get asked to make apple pie and dinner rolls every year. Last week I saw the recipe here on KAF for Honey Wheat Rolls so I’ll try that out in addition to apple pie, Amaretto Cake and potato salad.

23. AshEklund

Every year, I bake something with pumpkin for dessert, whether it’s pie, cake, cheesecake, or cookies. This year, I’m trying Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Great Pumpkin Pie recipe. Still questing for the perfect pumpkin pie after many years! Maybe this will be the one…
    I tend to experiment with different recipes for standby dishes (dressing, cranberry sauce, green beans, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes), but my husband and I always make a baked brie wheel with brandied dried cranberries, apricots, and pistachios. It is the perfect thing to snack on while waiting for the main event, and the leftover brie makes SUCH good turkey sandwiches the next day!

24. Jyll

This year, I am cooking more and making more from scratch. I have made homemade pie crusts, roasted my own pumpkins for the pie, and am baking homemade rolls served with the jellies I made this summer. Along with these, I’m making mac-and-cheese, sweet potatoes and a cherry wild rice that is a family favorite. I can’t wait for Thursday! Happy Thanksgiving!

25. Lee RP

Sweet Potato Muffins from Christiana Campbell’s in Williamsburg. My family would shoot me if I didn’t bring them to every gathering! Bite-sized pieces of heaven!

26. Mary W

Wheat-free pumpkin cake. I refuse to make anything I can’t eat. This year I’ll be using the KA gluten-free flour blend instead of a GF baking mix for the first time. Wish me luck!

27. kettlesmith

My uncle does the Thanksgiving dinner and desserts. Which just leaves the cut out cookies that I have to help my mom make for my brother. Oh, and I’ve started making a shoo fly pie, but I’m the only one who insists on that. ;)

28. Gayle

Because my hostess already has promises for an apple pie and a pumpkin pie, I’ll balance out the whole dessert situation by making a chocolate mocha cake.

29. screamingmadre

Wow–everyone has such wonderful stories and recipes. Our traditional dish is from a newspaper recipe sometime during the 1950s, featuring whipped lemon jello, cottage cheese, pineapple, and mayonnaise. You can figure out how it goes together.
    It’s a keeper in my family because it reminds us how awful a cook my mother usually was, which is the springboard for many family stories! When she had a recipe (and the ingredients), she did a good job, so the “yellow jello” was sure to be eaten, along with the turkey, which my dad dressed, stuffed, roasted, carved and served. Good times!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, and thanks for the pleasure I get from reading your blog, using your products, and preparing your recipes!

30. deniseebr

We are going to my mother’s house and we’ll be having the usual. We looked at cutting back on the dishes but we couldn’t find anything we couldn’t live without! We’ll have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with a praline topping, corn casserole, the “dreaded” green bean casserole, rolls, cranberry salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie and pumpkin cake. Whew!

My contributions will be the cranberry salad (not my favorite but others really like it), green bean casserole (my version has water chestnuts and bacon in it YUM!!) and KAF’s golden pull-apart butter buns. Those buns are the best and I’m required to bring them to EVERY holiday dinner!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

31. Cindy leigh

Sigh…..
    Used to cook huge Thanksgiving dinners.
    But parents, brothers’ and sisters’ families moved out west. 2 kids out of three are in college and can’t come home.
    Next year will be just the two of us…. For the first time ever in 26 years.
    Maybe we’ll go work at a soup kitchen.

32. nikzup03

homemade French croissants… starting them tomorrow… and that’s all i’m in charge of this year… French croissants, the labor of love… but well worth it!!!

33. Nanciew

I’ll be baking bread tomorrow to use for stuffing on Thursday plus making a vegetable (probably roast carrots and parsnips.) I usually do muffins or rolls but someone else is doing that this year. My daughter is disappointed that I’m planning to make the stuffing from scratch because she likes the boxed kind. (sigh) Hopefully, I’ll wow her with my scratch version. LOL. My mother-in-law is doing the turkey, but I just got a free turkey from a local business, so I promised my daughter that I’d roast that one over the weekend and she could make the boxed stuffing to go with it. So either way, I’m covered!

34. Kate

So many things! I’m in charge of the apple-based dessert, so I was thinking of a tart instead of a pie (I’m all about tweaking the classics this year!)… there’s also a chocolate gingerbread tart that I’d like to make, and my brothers have requested a spice cake in the shape of an astronaut (I found an old astronaut-shaped pan in mom’s basement this weekend). They are all over 30 years of age. They’re just fun like that. :)

Part of me really wants to make a pumpkin cake too, but I think two tarts and an astronaut should suffice!

35. LibrarianLizy

This year I’m bring sweet potato casserole and mac and cheese, which are always on the must-bring list. I’m also bringing a new dessert, a pumpkin cobbler. I’ve only had the recipe for about month and have already made it 4 times! It’s THAT good. If anyone is interested here is the link: http://theunemployedlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-pumpkin-cobbler.html

I’m also bringing the pull-apart rolls. I tested them last weekend and while they were really good, I was disappointed in the rise. I let them rise for 90 minutes before shaping and 60 minutes after, and they just didn’t turn out as puffy as I thought they would be. I also made some sandwich bread at the same time and had no problems with rising. Any tips on the rolls?
    You may want to try holding back on a bit of the flour for the rolls. Make the dough just a tiny bit on the wet side so that they can rise easily. ~ MaryJane

36. strandjss

I love trying new recipes and get bored very easily so if I had my druthers, I would create a new Thanksgiving menu every year with a few favorites thrown in. But alas, my family wouldn’t think it was Thanksgiving if I didn’t make my stuffing from homemade french bread. And of course Sweeet Potato Souffle.

37. milkwithknives

We usually have to go to California and have Thanksgiving with my husband’s parents, and they get those horrid, boxed dinners from the grocery store every year. We have even offered to cook or get dinner from a nice restaurant, but his mom refuses. Sadly (yay!), this year we couldn’t afford two plane tickets (should have started looking earlier than July), so my poor husband is sent into the jaws of death by himself and I get to stay home with my family! Homemade EVERYTHING! I’m doing the turkey and gravy, wassail and roasted veg, and I just can’t wait.

I do love this entry, and I love hearing about other people’s plans. I have never heard of macaroni and cheese at Thanksgiving, but why not? Sounds wonderful!

38. sfinkle

I have made many things every year, but always a pecan pie. We do 2 Thanksgiving dinners on Thursday. First around 1 at my mother’s house and then around 5 with my husband’s family. This year I am making a pecan pie for both places, plus a chocolate peanut butter pie for my husband’s family. I have been making pecan pies for Thanksgiving for over 25 years and cannot imagine a Thanksgiving without one at this point.
    My mother still overdoes everything with stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, salad, and a casserole or two to accompany the turkey. She still gets up very early and makes everything from scratch even though she is 75 years old. To add to my pecan pie, she will usually have a homemade apple pie or pumpkin pie.

39. SherrieM

I turned up the heat in my house because I’m making KA Cranberry-Pumpkin Rolls for the first time. The recipe and the blogs made me roll up my sleeves and try yeast bread again. They are raising in the pans right now and doing great!!! I can’t wait to surprise my family with them. I used 50/50 flour (half whole wheat/white wheat) and added 1/4 cup more water because of the denser flour. I’m not going to bake them all the way, so I can finish the baking on Thksgivg Day.

I also made:
    Wild Rice/Cran/Pecan/Mush/Whole Grain dressing.
    Butternut Squash/Apple/Cran casserole.
    Cranberry/Mellow side dish

The timer is going off….I have to make the cut in the rolls and bake them. Thanks so much for the recipe. It looks like a real winner.

40. Jenny

Maple pecan pie. I never cared much for pecan pie until I made this Cooks Illustrated recipe years ago now. And I have made many converts along the way. It has a softer set, and that hint of smokiness from the dark amber syrup perfectly compliments the pecans. A prize winner for sure!

41. lorrainesfav

We will have Thanksgiving in my new home here in Land O Lakes, Florida. I made the menu filled with traditions and twists. I made the golden pull apart rolls this afternoon and formed them into pinwheels instead of balls. I also made cornbread,dill, scallion pull apart rolls. Thanks KA for the suggestion of partially baking the rolls and then freezing them until Thanksgiving. This worked great. Also made the Rugelach cookies with your interesting dough and technique. I used a Nutella filling with mini chocolate chips. The dough was fabulously flaky and this will be my new go to Rugelach recipe. The rest of the menu is:
    Crab Cakes, Stuffed Mushrooms, Deviled Eggs, 2 Turkeys, Sausage-Leek Stuffing, Sweet Potato Casserole, Haricot Verts with dried tomato and shallot butter, Brussel Sprouts with bacon vinagrette, Honey Ham, Cranberry-Apple Relish, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Baby Bella Mushrooms with a balsamic glaze. WHEW! I will get a little help from my sister on a few items. Dessert will be Pumpkin-Sweetpotato pie with a Ginger crust, Pumpkin Caramel Cheesecake, Apple Pie, and my Rugelach cookies. We will all need a nap when this food frenzy is over. We will have a good time and enjoy my new home and kitchen. Thanks KA for the great recipe ideas. Lorraine

42. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez FMP-FASE - Petrópolis, R.J.- BRAZIL

Here in Brazil we acquired some American traditions and specially in my home we have Pork meat, plus Turkey, big one and here we have the tradition of Codfish or Bacalhau as we say here, Bacalhau with cooked potatoes, parsley and lots of Portuguese olive oil. WE use a can of half litre of olive oil to each kg. of Bacalhau´s fillets. And we let the fillets marinating with olive oil and lemon juice and salt the night before.
    Another tradition here is a crispy manioc flour mixed with sausage we call here FAROFA, deliciouss!
    We always have Panettones where we add local nuts such Brazil Nuts and a bread soaked in a mix of eggs and cinnamon and toasted over a skillet until golden brown then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. We call this treat RABANADA, and it´s originally a Portuguese Christma´s tradition, but delicious, specially if made with crumb bread such Pain de Mie.
    Another apreciated here is Dresden Stollen due to our Germanic colonization here in Petrópolis where i live!
    That´s it, years and years we eat basically this menu above at holidays!

43. bmwatl

When my children were little we would travel long distances so they could be with their grandparents for Thanksgiving. Now that I am a grandmother, the the kids travel to us and, happily, the distances are not so great. My daughters have created their owh “Sisters Mac and Cheese” tradition and the menu has evolved into: if you want it, it’s on it! Most of us have become vegetarians over the years so we overflow with side – dishes. Green bean casserole (one once a year favorite), mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables are the easy staples. This year I am adding a favorite corn pudding – rich and peppery.

As for baking – since I delegate the turkey to the inlaws – I am free to make a family favorite carrot cake with is large and laden with fruit and spices. This year I am going to try out a no knead bread recipe that seems too easy to mess up (and there is always back up for the bread!)

Whatever you have making and having, I wish you the Happiest Thanksgiving!

44. rsheitkamp

Well, several weeks ago I managed to get the first six of twelve pie crusts in the freezer and the remainder completed this past weekend. Baking begins in about two hours. Six for Thursday, four for Saturday and six more for Sunday. Assortment includes pumpkin, pecan, chocolate pecan, apple, (I cave and buy two “commercially” prepared cherry pies from Crane’s Orchard in Michigan – to die for and we’re picky pie people and beats pitting cherries!).
    Tomorrow, we’ll also be bringing the turkey, brussel sprouts oven roasted with pancetta and sweet potatoes to my mother-in-laws.

Now it’s time to start planning Christmas baking & sweets!

45. Margy

Our family has 2 Thanksgiving meals. One is the meal provided by our church and pretty much anyone who has nowhere to go on Thanksgiving. The church members and the Mothers’ Club of the local Catholic high school get together and provide all the food–I’m bringing a chocolate cake. We’ve done this for a number of years and the children in our family have been helping since they were quite small. Generally serve between 150-200 people: greet and serve each person, and give them each a bag lunch as they leave. This year I am also giving flu shots. The kids earn service hours for school, and more importantly, it gives them food for thought and points out what they have to be thankful for. Then we’ll all get together at my sister’s for dinner. I’m bringing roasted garlic mashed potatoes, oyster dressing, and sauerkraut with pork (sauerkraut is actually a very common dish in Baltimore for TD dinner, probably due to the large German influence in the past). No mac and cheese, but that is also a very common holiday dish from Maryland extending south. And I refuse to worry about the scale until next week!

46. mejiaop

Thanksgiving is not a holiday that we get to do too much “different”. We also have it pretty down with who brings what. I fry the turkey. BUT… this year, I made 3 pullman loves earlier in the week and froze them and sent them to my mom. So this year the stuffing is from bread made from scratch.

Mom’s job is stuffing, pumkin pies and rolls.

I love thanksgiving! Feeding everyone is always so much fun!

47. svanzutfen

Happy Thanksgiving, KAF! Thanks in part to you, we had completely homemade pies for dessert for the first time in my memory. For the past couple of years, I made the chocolate pie but was not even able to handle pre-baking a Pillsbury pie crust — that’s how baking was for me. I just made the filling. This year, we had KAF’s guaranteed pumpkin pie (love the videos for that and the crust!) and our family chocolate pie. They turned out quite well and they were fun to bake. Used a KAF bread recipe to make a loaf to use for the bread crumbs in our first homemade stuffing. My mom improvised and cooked a yummy stuffing using the bread crumbs. She also made cranberry sauce, squash, and I served some bread and muffins (KAF Simplest Muffins). My husband roasted the turkey for the first time and we made gravy and mashed potato together while enjoying the blessing of time with our family. My daughter has been pleading for a lemon meringue pie and I’m considering it for Christmas!

48. Ann Marie

I made your Cranberry Cake #2 yesterday, and it was delicious. We had enchiladas yesterday, and I wanted something with a hint of traditional Thanksgiving to go with it. Cranberry Cake #2 was really easy to make, and my husband loved it. Me too. Thanks for the recipe.

49. Ann Marie

50. Tonia

It was just my mom and me so made Coq au Vin, she made Cranberry jello salad (fresh ground up cranberries, apples and orange) and had pumpkin flan for dessert!

51. roost11

It’s the Half and Half Pie. It was an accident…I really didn’t mean it! But there I was making a lot of pies and first I made the pumpkin pies and I had too much pumpkin for any of the pies and not enough really for a real pie. So I baked it, figuring someone might eat it anyway. Then I tackled the pecan pies. And then there I was with a little too much pecan pie for a real pie, no crust, and no room in any of the other pies. And then I spied that poor little crust with that smidgeon of maybe a pumpkin pie (if it held it’s breath and stood up really tall!) in it. Well…pecan pie does need a prebaked crust…and I didn’t want to make another. Boy am I in trouble now if I don’t make a couple of them!

Sounds divine! Oh happy mistakes! – kelsey

52. schmidtpcde

A must have for my family’s Thanksgiving is Potato Rolls.
    So soft and delicious. I can practically make them in my sleep.
    I make several batches as some are eaten before the big feast and I always give away several dozens to deserving people. I always think I might do my mothers Butterhorn Roll, but I keep coming back to the potato. Another absolute, is cornbread stuffing made with homemade biscuits and cornbread. If my granddaughters come by, another order of biscuits will be needed. Love this time of year for baking. Today, will be buying Cinderella Pumpkins to bake and make pumpkin bread. Do like the yeast version recipes on the web site. My love of yeast bread will me to try them. Bring on the pumpkin and the potato!
    It sounds like you set quite the table. The pumpkin enthusiasm this year is amazing, it’s becoming quite the super-veggie. Have a wonderful, family-filled, fun-filled holiday. ~ MaryJane

53. Shirley6

HELLO, always make a very old recipe from my grandmother called beef pudding and i have never found a recipe like it anywhere i have looked every place i can think of. but it cooks for 4-5 hr. and most of the men like it better for some reason in my family. happy thanksgiving

54. AshEklund

I’m often a creature of habit, but I never make the same recipes for Thanksgiving aside from the foolproof roasted brined turkey from Cook’s Illustrated. I like to change things up every year. This year, I’m making cranberry pear sauce, herbed bread stuffing, roasted butternut squash with blue cheese and walnuts, cranberry walnut rolls, and pumpkin chiffon pie (plus a pecan tart and pumpkin ginger pie for a pre-Thanksgiving pie social).

55. thefiverogers

Every Thanksgiving I make Grandma’s Hot Rolls. I have experimented other times during the year with other rolls, KA Golden Pull-Apart Butter Buns and KA Parker House recipies have both been tried, but still the family insists that the Grandma’s Hot Rolls recipe is best. I have not compared the recipes ingredient to ingredient, ounce for ounce, but they cannot be that different. Still I have to agree that I also crave Grandma’s Hot Rolls, and we only have them with our Thanksgiving meal. Grandma’s hot roll recipe ingredient list: 2 pkgs. dry yeast, 1/2 C. warm water, 1/4 C. butter, 2 T sugar, 1 C. milk, 1 1/4 tsp. salt and 3 C. flour, plus another 1/4 C butter for dipping cut rolls prior to final rise. I made these with my Grandmother, (who passed away 20 years ago at the age of 92), many times as I was growing up. I still have the old piece of note paper that she scribbled the recipe on for me when I made my first Thanksgiving dinner away from home.

I’ll bet the warm memories that come with these rolls are even more important than their ingredients. When you have a recipe you really love, especially a treasured family recipe, stick with it – that’s my advice. Happy Thanksgiving! PJH