These tender, buttery scones are gluten-free. Really.

Baking gluten-free?

If so, you’ll love this post.

If not, keep reading – considering the rapid growth of gluten-free baking, it’s inevitable you’ll connect with someone, at some point, who’s trying to steer clear of gluten.

And when you do – these scones, and the rest of our gluten-free recipes, are a wonderful resource to have in your back pocket.

Plain scones are fine, but I like to add fruit or chips. For this recipe, I’ll use Tropical Fruit Blend (left, above).

Note: This fruit blend is NOT packed in a certified gluten-free facility. If your gluten-free baking is very strict, be sure to use fruit (or other add-ins) packaged in a gluten-free facility; or simply bake plain scones.

Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour (right, above), which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer.

The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works well when substituted; and it tastes better than a homemade blend using regular brown rice flour.

Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca starch or tapioca flour. Store airtight at room temperature.

Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it’ll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version).

Xanthan gum is another must-have ingredient when you’re baking gluten-free. It steps in to provide the necessary structure missing when gluten is absent.

For prettiest scones, use a scone pan. Spray the pan with non-stick vegetable oil spray.

If you don’t have a scone pan, grease a baking sheet (or line it with parchment).

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Whisk together the following:

1 3/4 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or 2 1/4 cups brown rice flour blend
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional

Don’t forget the xanthan gum! Believe it or not, just 1/2 teaspoon will hold these scones together.

Add 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into pats.

Work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.

Add 3/4 cup of the dried fruits or chips of your choice: diced dried apricots, raisins, or cherries are all nice, as is the aforementioned Tropical Fruit Blend: dried pineapple, papaya, mango, and big flakes of lightly toasted coconut.

Place the following in a measuring cup or bowl:

2 large eggs
1/3 cup cold milk
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract

Whisk until well combined.

Add to the dry ingredients.

Stir until well blended. The dough should be cohesive and very sticky.

Drop dough by the 1/3-cupful into the scone pan or onto the baking sheet. A heaped muffin scoop works well here.

Smooth the sticky dough to the edges of the pan.

Sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar, if desired, for added crunch and glitter.

Ready to bake. That didn’t take long, did it?

Bake the scones for 15 to 20 minutes.

They’ll rise and brown nicely.

You’d NEVER know these were gluten-free, would you?

Remove the scones from the oven, and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving.

They’re best enjoyed warm.

With the fruit, they don’t really need any embellishment. But butter, jam, or your favorite gluten-free spread are, of course, always welcome.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Gluten-Free Scones.

comments

1. bakerapprentice

These look wonderful! I just have one little question. If I’m not using the scone pan, after I put the scoops of dough on the baking sheet – how should I shape them? Or do I just leave them in a ball like shape and sprinkle the sugar on them and then bake?
    Thank you for your reply! I can’t wait to try them.
    You should be fine doing these on a baking sheet as a drop scone sprinkled with sugar, no special shaping needed. Enjoy! ~ MaryJane

2. Ann

Thank you for this recipe. I’m recently diagnosed, and doing all my own cooking, but haven’t ventured into baking. This would be a great beginning recipe to ease me into gluten-free baking. Thanks!

3. superreader

Thanks for the GF recipes & new newsletter!! These look great & we’ll be trying them this weekend. These recipes that usually call for soft wheat flour are always as good or even better GF, so I’m looking forward to some great eating. :^)

We love the stabilized KAF brown rice flour- great taste & texture, plus shelf stable- yay! We make up the blend in batches and store ina regular canister, and it works great! About the gums, though…you’re right that some sort of structural ingredient is necessary but some folks are finding the gums too hard to take and/or too expensive. Other types of stabilizers work well, too, especially for quick breads. Flax & chia gels are especially popular (not just as egg subs). Gelatin, agar, methylcellulose and egg white (fresh or powdered) are also good choices, alone or in combination. Eileen ~

4. penelopetafoya

My friend who cannot eat wheat also is sensitive to sucose, but she can tolerate granulated fructose. Will fructose work if i use 1/2 the amount of sucrose the recipe calls for? I’m sure she would love these.

Haven’t tried that, and GF can be tricky so can’t tell you it’ll work. All you can do is give it a go and see what happens – even if the structure isn’t great, I’m sure the taste will be fine. PJH

5. susanwilley90

I made these exactly as you said but mine didnt rise well and didnt brown well. what did I do wrong.. Susan

Susan, please call our Baker’s Hotline, 802-649-3717. They’re excellent at talking through problems to find out what happened. PJH

6. Gael in The Baker's Store

Yesterday in the demonstration kitchen at The Baker’s Store, I made 5 batches of these scones for our customers to sample. Everyone loved them and would never have known they were gluten free! I made each batch with different ingredients…dried cranberries and nuts, toasted hazelnuts and chocolate chips, etc. As soon as I served them, I was busy filling up the next platter. I also served our gluten free Brownie mix and besides the customers loving them, our staff CRAVES them! Gluten free baking has been kicked up and greatly improved. Our mixes have helped to make that happen! Well done KAF’ers in the test kitchen! Thanks for this posting PJ.
    I was in the store on Friday and sampled some of those scones. They are just great. Thanks, Gael! See you at the store sometime! Elisabeth

7. Kathy

I bake quite a bit with gluten free flours and am looking forward to trying this recipe. I am curious as to the difference in the amount of flour with the KA blend and the home mix. Can you explain that?
    Hi Kathy,
    It’s true, different flours will have slightly different weights. We weigh them over and over and over again to ensure accuracy for each different type. ~ MaryJane

8. kaf-sub-oxolassie1

thees look so good , can I use frozen blueberrys instead of dry fruit

Absolutely – leave them frozen. They may leave little streaky blue pockets, but looks aren’t everything, right? And, try to find the frozen wild blueberries, such as Wyman’s; the bigger berries will be soggy. Enjoy – PJH

9. Sydney

I’m anxious to try this scone recipe, being a scone and tea lover, but have recently gone gluten- and dairy-free. Have any of the KAF test bakers tried this recipe with a butter alternative, such as Earth Balance? Thank you!

We haven’t, Sydney, but give it a try and let us know how it goes – your feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks- PJH

10. Rurally without Xanthan gum!

These look great! I bought the King Arthur gluten-free flour. But it seems like every recipe has Xanthan gum, and I am dying to bake something this weekend (maybe later I should mail order). Can it be done? Would you recommend adding or increasing something else?? Thank you!
    Unfortunately, without the xanthan gum, it just can’t be done. Without it, your scones will just crumble apart. You can order the xanthan gum from us, though if you are in a rush, many grocery stores carry it in the baking section. ~Amy

11. playerdoris

In case you’re wondering if you could turn these into red velvet scones. Honey you sure can. Subtract 1/2 cup for flour and add 1/2 cup baking cocoa. Use heavy cream for the milk, and add 1 tablespoon Red Velvet cake flavor. For the filling follow recipe for red velvet scones online or May 2012 bakers catalog.

12. Alaskakari

OMG, i just made these for my kids and myself and they were SOOO delicious, moist and the perfect scone texture. Even though I had to make lots of substitutions just because of what I had on hand. For the flour mix, I didn’t have the recommended flours, so used a mix of 1 1/2 c. Brown Rice flour, 1 1/2 c. Sorghum flour, 1 c. cornstarch, and 1/2 c. almond meal. I used about 2 cups of this for the scones. I used slightly less than the 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and it was the perfect amount.
    I also had to use honey for lack of sugar, slightly less than 1/4 cup, mixed in with the liquid ingredients. Also subbed flax for eggs and rice milk for regular milk. For the fruit, I chopped some dried coconut and moistened with some water; I added the coconut along with dried blueberries and craisins- the craisins were needed to cut the sweetness!
    Then I discovered some sparkling white sugar sprinkles in the cupboard to sprinkle on top, and wow these scones were divine. Thank you for this recipe, I will always use it now for scones!!
    Wow, it’s great to know that this recipe is forgiving and versatile. Thank you so much for sharing the substitutions you made- so glad to hear that the scones came out well. It’s always great to have the varying options and know that they really work! ~Amy

13. Peggy

Can these be frozen?
    Sure, I suggest actually freezing them unbaked and then baking from frozen. They turn out great this way! ~Amy

14. Amy

Can you please tell me if this recipe can be made without eggs. What substitute will work best? Thanks.

There are several egg substitutes to choose from: flax mixed with water, egg replacement, even bananas or mayonnaise! Call our baker’s hotline for details at 800-827-6836 and we’ll decide together which replacement will work for you. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

15. patriciaannk

I have made scones hundreds of times. They have always turned out very well.
    Today, I made these with the nutmeg and chopped apricot and was truly disappointed. The nutmeg totally overpowered the scone so you couldn’t taste the apricot. And the texture of the scone was gritty. These were the first gluten-free scones I tried since going gluten-free about 8 months ago. They were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside with pockets indicating they raised as they should. In other words, they were cooked properly, but they were not at all impressive. I had to slather on Irish butter just to get them down. Apricot preserves would have helped, too.
    I hope there are improvements in the gritty texture of KA gluten-free mix in the future. I enjoy a pot of tea, daily, and would love to add scones back into my tea ritual. But, they’ve got to be better than this.
    We’re sorry the recipe was disappointing. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg was optional in this recipe – perhaps skipping it altogether or using half would be best for you. We wonder if there was enough liquid used or if white rice flour (sometimes bakes up more gritty in texture) was used in place of the brown rice flour . Irene@KAF

16. Karen Wollam

At what point do I freeze the dough? After it has rested for 15 minutes or before?
    Can I put 8 scoops of dough on a cookie tray and freeze them transferring them to a plastic bag until I’m ready to bake them in a scone pan? How long can the gluten free dough be frozen?

Great questions Karen! You can certainly just freeze the dough right after it is made and scooped. The procedure you listed is exactly what you should do for freezing and they should last for about 2-3 months.-Jon

17. Emily

How about mixing them the night before, keeping them in the refrigerator overnight and baking them in the morning, rather than freezing?

Scones are best frozen (think about the hardened butter making those flaky layers), then baked when you need them. On any given morning when you need fresh baked scones, remove scones from freezer, preheat the oven, make the coffee or tea, bake the scones and you’ll have other sleepy heads joining you for a perfectly delicious morning. The best news is that you can bake a few or bake the whole batch. Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

18. joanne blunk

.Can you add pumpkin to these? I saw the pumpkin scones in the catalog and was hoping I could make gluten free scones too

Joanne, you could try substituting 1/2 cup pumpkin purée for the 1/3 cup milk in the scone recipe, see what happens; that has a chance of working. You could also make our Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins, which are very popular. Either way – enjoy! PJH

19. Patricia Adams

My elder sister is trying to go gluten free. She lives in Mexico City. Is King Arthur gluten free available there?

Guar gum is another option for you. The flavor is not as neutral as xanthan gum and also not ground as fine and can irritate some digestive tracks. Give it a try. Elisabeth@KAF

20. Janet

Can you please tell me what other flours I can use instead of KAGF. I cannnot have wheat or rice flour. What other combinations of flours can I use for this receipe. I am anxious to try this receipe.

I am sorry to say that we have not attempted this recipe with any blend beyond our own, so I can’t give a guaranteed replacement. However, you can certainly experiment with other gluten free flours, just make sure to use the weight measurements for the best results. Happy baking! Jon@KAF