Can you bake a mini pie? How about 8 mini pies – in just 12 minutes?

My introduction to pie – lo, these many years ago – was the venerable Table Talk strawberry-rhubarb pie.

As kids, we’d hoard our pennies and nickels for trips to the local luncheonette.

Arguably, these are two archaic customs: hoarding pennies, and luncheonettes. But stay with me here; we’re about to take a journey into a long-ago past with which I’m sure, dear readers, many of you are familiar…The ’60s.

I’m a Baby Boomer, born just shy of halfway through that post-WWII population explosion. And all of us Boomers were kids in the ’60s – some teens, some toddlers, but all of us, at some point, living at home with Mom and Dad.

And gradually making our way out into the world – the food world, that is.

From penny candy (yes, there WAS such a thing) to Fudgsicles, Bonomo turkish taffy to 15¢ McDonald hamburgers, we were taking our babysitting and paper route money and going for the gold:

Twinkies.

I admit, Table Talk pies weren’t on my radar for years; I didn’t discover them until junior high – yeah, kiddies, that’s what we called middle school back then.

But once I ripped open my first red-and-white box, and saw that palm-sized pie nestled in its tinfoil pan, I was hooked.

Not on blueberry. Or apple. Or lemon, or peach, or even chocolate éclair.

It was  strawberry-rhubarb that captured my heart.

Heck, I’m sure I didn’t even know what rhubarb was. But its assertively tangy taste, paired with strawberry’s sweet smoothness (think SweeTarts or Lik-M-Aids), was totally tantalizing.

Sure, Table Talk pies cost more than a Devil Dog. But when the paper route tips were good, I splurged.

And now, I’ve discovered an easy way to make my own mini pies.

Not strawberry-rhubarb, but my new favorite: bumbleberry.

Never seen a bumbleberry Table Talk pie? Neither have I.

So let’s make our own – with this handy-dandy cupcake maker, a.k.a. mini pie baker.

First, make a batch of your favorite pie dough. This is one of my favorites: A Thoroughly Reliable and Tasty Pie Crust.

Whatever recipe you use, make sure it uses at least 1 1/4 cups of flour (if you’re making just 8 of these mini pies), or 2 1/2 cups of flour (for 16 mini pies).

I’m making 16 pies, so made the full crust recipe, using 2 1/2 cups flour. Divide the dough in half, then chill for 30 minutes.

While the dough is in the fridge, make your filling.

Nothing better than bumbleberry pie, using up any leftover frozen berries from last season.

I was guessing at amounts here, but started with 2 generous cups of berries – one each raspberries and blueberries.

Heat in the microwave just until thawed.

Drain off the juice, but don’t discard; add it to seltzer for a tasty drink as you work!

Add the following to the berries:

1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Pie Filling Enhancer or 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Stir to combine.

Set the filling aside while you roll out the crust.

Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll it into a generous 12” circle. A silicone mat makes rolling easy, and cleanup a breeze.

Using the larger side of the cutter that comes with the cupcake maker, cut out 8 circles.

Lay them over the cups in the cupcake maker, and gently push them down, using the pushing tool.

If the crust splits or tears slightly at the bottom, just push it back together; no big deal.

Here we are, ready for that bumbleberry filling.

Put a generous tablespoon of filling in each cup; a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here.

The filling should be slightly heaped in the crust.

Re-roll the scraps of dough, and use the smaller side of the cutter to cut 8 rounds. These are your top crusts.

Lay the top crusts atop the filling.

Shut the lid. Plug in the cupcake maker.

Twelve minutes later, come back to find lovely little pies.

For slightly browner pies, bake for 15 minutes.

But I don’t recommend going past 15 minutes. At 17 minutes, I started to hear the telltale sizzle of bubbling filling spilling out of the crusts.

If that happens to you, here’s a cleanup tip: when you’re done, unplug the machine, and pour some water into any cups with bubbled-over filling. After 10 minutes or so, tip the machine over the sink to drain out the water, and easily wipe the cups clean.

And there you have it. Eight beautiful mini pies.

Repeat with the remaining crust and filling to make 16 pies.

On my second batch, I tried sprinkling coarse white sparkling sugar atop the crust before baking. Nice touch!

The moment of truth: cut into a pie, and out tumble the bumbleberries!

I have to say, I was skeptical about this cupcake baker. And I haven’t tried cupcakes in it – yet.

But it does make delightful little pies – quickly, AND easily.

Oh, wait – one more thing. Bake bottom crusts only (no filling, no top); cool, and fill with prepared instant pudding (the easy way out) or your own favorite cream filling. One regular-size box of instant pudding, made with 1 1/2 cups of milk (instead of the 2 cups called for in the directions; thicker, and more intense) will fill about 16 single-crust pies.

Hint: Make a pie dough recipe that doesn’t include baking powder; you don’t want the bottoms of the crusts puffing up.

I made French vanilla pudding (with an added 1 teaspoon vanilla extract), and put a banana slice in the bottom of each crust before topping with the chilled pudding.

WOW…

There’s no recipe link for these pies, since this post shows you how to make them. Assuming you don’t have the cupcake maker, you can make bumbleberry pie in a 9” pie pan. Make your favorite pie crust recipe (or the one above);  then quadruple the filling ingredients listed in this post. Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 425°F, then reduce the oven heat to 350°F and bake for another 40 to 50 minutes, covering the edges if they seem to be browning too quickly. When done, the filling will be bubbling, and the crust golden brown.

Again, this is a great way to use up all the little bits of fruits and berries left in your freezer from last summer or fall.

comments

1. mdeatherage

If we can do it in the cupcake baker, can we do it in a regular muffin tin?

Should work, though the size of the pastry rounds would be different, and the amount of filling different, to account for the larger cupcake tin wells. Give it a try- PJH

2. debj

ke to try in this gizmo… My grandmother used to make a sort of pie/cupcake hybrid… she called them ‘floridas’, only she made her’s in a muffin tin, of course!
    Put your little round piece of pie crust on the bottom and up the sides, top with a gob of jam, and then pour cupcake batter (yellow cake batter) on top, then bake until done and enjoy. I confess, I’ve never made them myself… I never knew if this was just one of her inventions, or if other people made them too. Anybody?

Actually, Deb, I believe MaryJane blogged the “cake-pie” a couple of years ago… don’t know if I could fish it out of those 500 blogs we’ve done, but I remember reading (and tasting) it. Only I think it was cake batter poured into chocolate chip cookie dough crust. Whatever – it was gooooooood…. PJH

3. MamaTess

Hmm… would these work as well (albeit a little longer bake time) in plain old cupcake pans in the oven? I love the idea…

You’d have to tweak the recipe, since the cupcake pans are much deeper, but sure, I don’t see why not. Enjoy – PJH

4. mlauerbader

Here we go again. First there was the hot dog roll pan. Then I thought I didn’t need a cupcake maker. What was I thinking!! Another winner. Thank you PJ.

I wish there was a lending library of this stuff… Actually, my friends and I have discussed appliance-sharing – it just makes a lot of sense for those things you don’t need often, like the ice cream maker, electric griddle, rice cooker… cupcake maker… :) PJH

5. Jain

I’m intrigued! I’m sadly lacking a sweet tooth, though. This would be fun with a savory vegetable-tofu filling.

I can definitely see this with roasted vegetables… Good idea! PJH

6. Sandra (Alicante)

Debj – What your grandmother did sounds a bit like the English
    Bakewell Tart, only that has ground almonds in the topping. Can recommend it though, very tasty! I used to make lots for the kids, mini ones, with no problem.

Jain – For a savoury one, how about a quiche filling? Or something like goat cheese and apricot?

PJH – Aaaargh! Can’t get rhubarb here! It is one fruit I sorely miss from the UK, but the tinned stuff here is no replacement, it is tasteless. On the good side, it will be strawberry season soon!

Sandra, sorry abut the rhubarb! Where are you? Must be somewhere hot – since rhubarb seems to like cold/damp climes… BTW, the goat cheese/apricot filling sounds absolutely splendid – gotta try that sometime. Cheers- PJH

7. Sandra (Alicante)

PJH – I’m in a small town about 15 miles inland from Alicante, Southern Spain. Yes, I assume it is too warm here for rhubarb! Although winter can get down to freezing, it is only for a few days if that normally and we don’t get much rain. We have been known to wear shorts and T shirts on the beach at Christmas but not for the last couple of years, they have been colder. We get 35c + in July/ August.
    March is when we get all the strawberries around here, unlike the UK which is around June/July. I’m looking forward to the big black cherries in May and my own seedless grapes (I hope)
    in June. As long as I can keep the wasps away!

8. Cindy leigh

Ohhh….. You’re killing me!
    My husband pointed this out when we visited the store last month. I said, eh, who needs that? I don’t make cupcakes that often and have plenty of pans.
    NOW I want one! I don’t make pie that often because I don’t want leftovers. I could see scaling the recipe down, or freezing extras.
    Peach pie……
    Blueberry………

9. alisonmc

I make mini chicken or turkey pot pies in my muffin pans all the time – and I’m never fully happy with them. I can never get the crust to do what I want it to. It slides down the sides, so I end up with a thick bottom layer, and a top. I’m absolutely buying this gadget and see what it does!

10. Rue Wunder

Have you used this with savory fillings? Like pot pies, etc.?

I haven’t, but no reason at all why it wouldn’t work… Good idea, Rue. PJH

11. guppy79

Oh my!! I’ll call this “how to double my waistline in 12 minutes” Haha!

That’s a really cool gadget. I’ve never seen this before. So many cool ideas. :) Thanks!!

12. marileecm

I never thought I would be tempted to buy a cupcake baker, but now that I see the possibilities…. Since I don’t have one yet to check out in person, can you tell me if it would be possible to make a Dutch Apple type mini pie, with a crumb topping, in this thins?

I can’t say for sure, as I haven’t tried it. But it seems that it would work; the top lid of the baker is convex enough, over each pie, that there’d be room for crumb topping. Not sure how brown it would get – it might steam? – but since it browns the pastry crust OK, I’d think it would brown crumbs… PJH

13. Todd

“leftover frozen berries from last season.”

Whaaaaa???

We have tons of berry picking places around here, and it’s easy to go overboard during the season… lucky us! PJH

14. HMB

For those wondering about using muffin tins — I have made mini-pies in the muffin tin. One thing that helps with fitting the dough rounds into the tin is to make three snips around the circle so you can ease it in nicely.

Good hint – that’s what I do, when baking in deeper/more upright muffin tin wells. Thanks- PJH

15. sundance183

PJ, this looks super! Might be just the thing to spend that Christmas gift card on! Couple of questions- What is the difference between Pie Filling Enhancer and ClearJel, as far as use is concerned? I looked at the ingredients and PFE is just ClearJel with some extras. Also, I want to use strawberries and rhubarb, both frozen. Do you need more sugar and thickener? Seems strawberries always give off tons of liquid. Many thanks!

Pie Filling Enhancer mixes ClearJel with sugar (which you’d have to do anyway, to use it) and ascorbic acid (for flavor/color). I don’t feel comfortable giving you exact ratios for frozen strawberries and rhubarb. What I’d do is thaw the fruit, and microwave till they give off a lot of their juice. Then drain, and add maybe a bit more of whichever thickener you choose. Rhubarb, as you say, can be quite juicy. PJH

16. sundance183

Sorry, also forgot to ask- what is usually the ratio of strawberries to rhubarb? I can see that the berries are even, but rhubarb can be pretty tart. Again, thanks!

I like 2 pints strawberries to 2 cups rhubarb – seems to work well… PJH

17. ilyanna

for those of you who don’t want to buy another appliance, you can in fact make mini pies in wide-mouth half-pint jelly jars — same concept. The best part? Put a lid on, freeze the unbaked pie-lets, and when you want a mini-pie, just put a couple (still frozen) in the oven at 350 for 60 minutes. voila! Link to full instructions here:

last note: because the dough isn’t rolled, it’s really easy to make gluten-free.

I’m glad you added the caveat at the end about putting glass jars directly from freezer to oven – I wouldn’t risk it, but sounds like your alternate method would work. They look delish! PJH

18. Jayhawk_Meri

For presentation purposes (bake sales, etc.), could you use muffin papers for these mini-pies?

How about if you bake as is, then set them in muffin papers afterwards? Standard muffin papers wouldn’t be the right size for the baker. PJH

19. www.everythingpies.com

What a great idea of using a cupcake baker. I was wondering, how did you handle the second batch since the cups were now warm, not good to melt the butter in your dough?

I have used a cupcake pan for mini pies but have the problem of them being too deep and the sides too vertical.

Do you know of a shallow non-stick muffin pan that would work out better?

Thanks,
    The cute Pie Guy

CPG, mini muffin pans are often shallower, but they make VERY tiny pies indeed. You might try our hamburger bun pan, which would make larger (4″) pies, six at a time; the wells are the right depth. PJH

20. binag

I have seen these gadgets around for some time now and NEVER thought I would ever be tempted to get one. It is all I can do to stop myself from running out right now, buying one and making these pies. What have you unleashed???

Heh, heh heh, who knows what evil lurks in the heart of… well, you get the picture. I was really surprised I liked this gadget, I have to admit. And I never did make cupcakes in it. But it makes sweet little pies… PJH

21. brook

My brother requested pie for his birthday, at a sledding party. His flavor of choice? Key lime. This little gadget helped make the tastiest little portable pies for his party. I did make him key lime, but I was compelled to also make cherry… and raspberry…and a batch of savory sausage/mushroom/cheese filled numbers that were a huge hit with the chilly guests. This worked well for the gluten-free crust I made, too. I even used the pastry bag and tips that came with the cupcake maker to pipe whip cream onto the cooled key lime pies. I think pot pies will be next on the menu…

Wow, Brook, you really put your imagination to use for your brother! Thanks for sharing your tasty ideas here – PJH

22. crisner

Wow.. first thing that comes to mind is a Northern Michigan Pasty. Usually folded over (see below) but it seems this would be a great way to cook them. YUM!!
    Filling:
    1 1/2# ground beef top round
    1 medium onion
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 medium potatoes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup rutabaga

Cut beef, potatoes, and onions into 1/2″ dices, season well. Place 2/3 cup filling on each of 6 pastry rounds about 8″ in diameter. Dot with butter to moisten edges and fold over to enclose filling. Press edges firmly together piercing tops.

23. Liz Sullivan

Hi Bakers, In addition to your wonderful blog, which I LOVE, I subscribe to a cooking blog, Once Upon a Chef. Today the chef included a recipe for Banana Honey-Walnut Muffins. She includes step-by-step directions and photos, and I am glad to report she used King Arthur All-Purpose Flour – pictured front and center. Check it:
    Thanks for inspiring me. I drop everything when one of your emails arrives, and always want to run into the kitchen and start baking!
    Best wishes,
    Liz Sullivan
    Thanks so much for sharing Liz. I’ve got some bananas at home just crying out to be used, so I’m so glad to have the link. Plus, it’s always nice to see new and different blogs.

I still get excited when I see our flour bag in other places. Did anyone else see the 2 bags of KAF flour on Top Chef this season? One bread flour, and Carla used AP flour. I KNEW I liked her! ~ MaryJane

24. Luv2Bake

Thanks for this awesome post! I wanted to ask if anyone has used this cupcake maker for other things in the KAF kitchen? I’m tempted to buy one, but I’ve seen some poor reviews online…any comments?

One of our bakers didn’t love it for cupcakes, but everyone loves it for pies – that’s what I’ve heard so far. PJH

25. gaitedgirl

And just when I told my husband that I didn’t think I needed anything else to go in our kitchen… there went that idea! lol I love your idea of thinking outside the appliance! The little pies look great and seem quite simple and easy! I may have to order this when I get paid next month! But I think I’ll try it in my regular muffin tins first to see if I like the recipe. Thanks again PJ and keep the ideas comin!!

Will do – Recipes-R-Us! PJH

26. gpyrocat

I have a very young friend, a beginning baker who got one of these for Christmas. We will be having a ridiculous amount of fun making these darling pies. Crust was one of the first things I taught her and we’re always ready for pie. You will be pleased to know that I always encourage her to “use the best” and buy KAF!

Thanks for helping a young baker get started – it’s great to see a new generation lighting up their ovens… and thanks very much for suggesting King Arthur. We appreciate it! PJH

27. chinchillalover

YUM! I have a lot of apples on hand and no babycakes appliance.So would this be good with an apple filling in a square green pan (i have to do SOMETHING with it!).Because i have had the pan for almost 3 years now and all i have done with it was make AMAZINGLY good all crust brownies,would it work?!

I prefer pie crust baked in metal, just because it helps prevent the oh-so-typical under-baked bottom. But I’m sure millions of people have baked pies in stoneware pans very successfully, so go for it! PJH

28. Cindy leigh

Would this work for other “crusts”, too? Like cornbread batter over and under some chili? Or bread dough, rolled thin, sandwiching some leftover stew (minus the liquid)?

No telling, Cindy – I wouldn’t, however, use anything that’s going to rise too much, or stick – the cups aren’t removable for cleaning. You might try a dab of cornbread batter and some chili on top, without a top crust; don’t fill too full. As I said, anything that rises is going to push the filling over the top. You could try bread dough, but that’ll rise, too. Just be sensible in your experiments – that’s my advice. Enjoy – PJH

29. chinchillalover

Its not stoneware.The pan is a metal pan we found at kohls on sale and the label said that it was a dessert bar pan. I just like to call it any number of things,I mostly call it “that pan i need to use”

Oh, I get it – well, then, go for it! :) PJH

30. muttibee

Just baked a couple batches of yummy cherry 3 bite pies and I’m sure my co-workers are going to love them tomorrow. $30 seems like a “deal” to bake up some tasty treats in just a few minutes. Didn’t take the time to make homemade crust or filling this time (thank you Trader Joe’s!) but wanted to try something quick before investing a lot of time and money. Can’t wait to try some savory versions and a candy inside a cookie dough inside pie dough version. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Happy President’s Day (a week late). I’m sure everyone will enjoy those “George Washington” cherry pie-lets… Have fun with your future mini-pies! PJH

31. loonknits

Wow! We looked at the cupcake gadgets a while ago & decided against…but this time you persuaded even my husband! I placed our order today – can’t wait to try my hand at mini pies. May even get around to cupcakes someday! Thanks so much for your blog!

32. mamsis

Hi – like others here, this post has convinced me that I MUST have the Baby Cakes appliance, but I didn’t see the pie crust “pusher” listed in the included items. It looks like that little pusher would be very helpful in fitting the crusts. Is it included with the Baby Cakes maker? Thanks, and keep up the great work here!

Yes, the pusher is included. PJH

33. Mary

What a trip down memory lane.. I remember penny candy, my favorite were licorice bullseyes, and of course the Table Talk pies, my favorite of the individual size being lemon, but the large pies, their chocolate cream. I lived in Attleboro, MA, and remember the Table Talk delivery man coming each week to Zito’s Market, and how he knew all of us neighborhood kids, and how nice he was. He always called me little pie.

Great recipe, and the crust looks good, very reminiscent of the appearance of the TT pie crust as well. I don’t have that appliance, but I’ll try and jerry rig something and bake them in my oven.

34. Barbara

What a fantastic little machine…as soon as they see what it can be used for, they’ll increase the price!
    Your step-by-step pic’s are so helpful and the finished tarts so beautiful, I had to find one of these machines for myself.
    I’d never heard of it, so was sure I had to send to the States for it
    but hallelujah, I found one here in Toronto, being delivered tomorrow! For any other interested Torontonians, it’s available online at http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com.
    Thank you so very much for this posting…I love savory pies and look forward to making them in the Babycakes…I might even try a Samosa filling…yummy!

I know you’ll like this handy tool, Barbara, and glad you were able to find the machine from an easily accessible source. Speaking of – we’re about to launch a new shipping program that’ll make it MUCH easier and faster for our Canadian customers to order from us. I think it’s going live next week, so stay tuned… PJH

35. loonknits

My cupcake baker arrived in record time from KAF! The first experiment was a quick batch of mini muffins. I followed the directions, putting 2T of batter in the cold cups. Unfortunately, every muffin stuck like the dickens. It’s soaking with water in each cup (thanks for that hint) so I can clean it & try again with remaining batter…but any tips to prevent sticking?
    HI again. Hope the hint about using a spritz of cooking spray works out. It was nice to see you in live chat. :)
    ~ MaryJane

36. ymscoyle

Has anyone tried using KA sourdough chocolate cake batter? Everyone loves this recipe, would love to try making babycakes. Can I store the dough since I can’t bake all of it at once? I appreciate any help!

The Sourdough Chocolate Cake is a delicious cake recipe! No one will ever know it uses sourodugh starter as one of the ingredients. The full recipe should yield about 24 cupcakes. Have you considered bake and freeze (either a baked 9″ round cake or baked cupcakes)? Irene @ KAF

37. ymscoyle

Thanks for your response Irene. Have made the Sourdough Chocolate Cake recipe several times, always to rave reviews. I recently purchased a babycakes cupcake maker featured in this blog entry. I was interested in baking the Sourdough Chocolate Cake in my new machine. Can I store the batter and bake in the babycakes over the course of a week? Thanks!

Haven’t tried this, sorry… All I can say is, give it a try – and come on back here to share the results with your fellow readers, if you don’t mind. Thanks- PJH

38. ymscoyle

Sourdough chocolate cake in the Babycakes. We ended up baking all the batter last night in the machine. It took several batches of course. Worked well, the outside of the mini cupcakes are different than if baked in oven. Not sure how to describe it, they have a bit of a crust. Not a bad thing, just different. We had fun with these! Enjoyed a few with ice cream, no icing, last night.

39. loonknits

The spritz of cooking spray helped enormously, MaryJane! Today I’m using your Chocolate Stout Cake recipe to make mini cupcakes. They’re turning out well as long as I spray every time.

Later I’m experimenting with the mini pies – batches of Guinness-beef, lamb and corned beef fillings are ready to go!

The whole family loves the mini cupcake maker!!

40. Heidi

We have the sunbeam version – my 12 yo daughter got it for Christmas. It didn’t come with the accessories, but I am assuming the basic principals are the same and we can use our maker for sweet and savory pies?

I’d imagine so, Heidi – if it looks the same and performs the same function. Worth a try, anyway – good luck! PJH

41. Diana

I was making several batches of these, cleaning up after each one, but I had a problem: so much butter leached out of the pies that it ran over the edge in the back and into the works of the appliance. When I was cleaning it I tipped it up and tons of melted butter ran out . I would assume that this could be dangerous and cause a short our a fire?
    Thanks for checking with us. We contacted the vendor and they said all of the wiring inside the machine is coated, so the butter/cleaning water should not come into contact with it. Hope this helps! ~ MaryJane

42. Ingrid

Hi. I realize I’m about 2 years late in posting about this recipe but I have a question. I typically bake with frozen fruit straight out of the freezer without defrosting it. I’m curious about why you microwaved the frozen berries here. Did you think that the short baking time in the cupcake maker would not be enough time to properly cook the filling with frozen fruit? I worry a bit about what microwaving my frozen berries will do to the texture, so I was curious about your opinion. Thanks.
    Yes, the purpose of the thawing was to drain excess liquid and ensure a properly cooked filling. ~Amy

43. Piemaker

For me I found this pie maker pies to be just a little too small. I’ve been having fun with these things. Mini pie makers can be tricky to use. Some have a difficult time baking the center of pie tops. The list goes on. Some will burn your crust edes. However, I’m determined to bake a perfect mini pie that I can share with family and friends.

Thank you for for your feedback, Piemaker. Looks as though you have quite a bit of experience! Happy baking! Elisabeth@KAF

David, used mine at Thanksgiving – everyone loves the teeny-tiny pies, because then you can have one of each flavor! Enjoy – PJH

44. sherie mcclelland

i saw a mini cake maker i was wondering if you could make pies in this appliance also same concept i saw this mini cake maker on qvc for clearance 19 bucks so many possibilities besides making mini cakes they had another appliance for cakes and pies a bit more money ..but i thought it all looks the same except the top part on the reg cake maker is not fluted….What are your thoughts its called cook essentials quick and easy mini fluted cake maker..the other is cake and pie maker.