Deep, dark, and delicious: whole wheat-walnut biscuits

Biscuits.

Snowy white, high-rising, light-as-air biscuits. Best friend of sausage gravy, ham, fried chicken, and strawberry shortcake.

Well, not always.

The biscuits you see at the top of this post are dense, moist, and nubbly, studded with nuts and darkened with whole wheat  and the foodies’ newest, coolest flour: grape seed flour.

That’s right, flour made from grape seeds – Chardonnay grape seeds, to be exact. High in fiber and loaded with antioxidants, flour milled from Chardonnay grape seeds adds texture, taste, and an artisan quality to your baking.

Do you see the ever-so-slight tinge of purple in the biscuits? Grape seed flour adds rich color to whatever you’re baking. Try it for breading, or thickening sauces or stews, too.

OK, let’s make these unusual biscuits. First, preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment paper.

Whisk together the following:

2 cups King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup (3 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup grape seed flour*
3 tablespoons buttermilk powder
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

*No grape seed flour? Substitute either all-purpose or whole wheat flour. The texture will remain the same; the biscuits’ color will be lighter.

Now, for some biscuit tips and tricks:

Tip #1: When making biscuits, the recipe often calls for you to work cold butter into the dry ingredients.For this recipe, we’re starting with 1/2 cup cold butter; which is one 4-ounce stick.

Here’s an easy way to get things started. Cut the butter into three slabs, lengthwise.

Turn it 90°, and cut it into three parts again.

You’ll have nine skinny “sticks.”

Cut those skinny sticks crosswise.

Ta-da! Tiny butter cubes, easily worked into the flour.

Add the butter to the dry ingredients. Work it in until it forms coarse crumbs.

Add 1 cup chopped walnuts.

Can you leave out the nuts? Of course. Can you use some other type of nut or seed? Yes.

Next, whisk together 1 large egg and 1 cup cold milk.

If you like, omit the buttermilk powder from the dry ingredients, and substitute buttermilk for the milk.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients.

Blend lightly until the dough is evenly moistened.

See that flour in the bottom of the bowl? Add a tablespoon or so additional milk to incorporate it, if necessary.

Or simply work the dough with a bowl scraper until all the flour is worked in.

Like this.

Turn the dough onto a floured work surface. Our silicone rolling mat is a good choice here.

Pat the dough into a 1″-thick circle.

Use a 2″ biscuit cutter to cut rounds.

Tip #2: For highest-rising biscuits, use a sharp cutter.

See how the edges of this biscuit are cleanly cut? That’s because they were cut with a sharp biscuit cutter, not the top of a drinking glass. It’s much easier for clean-cut edges to rise in the oven than those that’re squashed onto themselves.

One caveat: If you’re cutting on a silicone surface, be VERY careful not to press down too hard as you cut.

Tip #3: Once you’ve cut as many biscuits as possible out of the dough, you’ll end up with scraps. Most recipes call for you to “Gather the dough scraps, re-roll, and cut more biscuits.”

But, as any biscuit baker knows, the more you handle the dough, the tougher the biscuits will be. Gathering, squashing, patting, and cutting again usually results in noticeably tough biscuits.

The solution?

After each cut, you’ll be left with some skinny ends.

Gently nudge them inwards, towards the rest of the dough. Cut more biscuits, continuing to nudge/pat the thin ends of dough into the center.

Finally, you’ll end up with one last piece.

Gently shape it into a rectangle…

…cut it in half…

…and GENTLY round the cubes into circles.

Or not; there’s no rule against square biscuits. In fact, an easy way to avoid the patting and nudging is to simply shape the original piece of dough into a square, and cut it in a criss-cross pattern to make square biscuits. No leftover scraps to fuss with.

Tip #4: For a golden-brown crust, brush biscuits with milk or cream before baking.

Bake the biscuits for 14 to 16 minutes.

When done, their tops will be starting to brown.

Notice that these biscuits aren’t super high-risers; that’s why we cut them 1” thick to begin with, rather than the more usual 1/2” or 3/4”.

Remove the biscuits from the oven.

Serve warm – with butter, if desired.

Hot biscuit, melting butter… extremely satisfying, wouldn’t you say?

These biscuits are nicely moist; deliciously flavored from the nuts, and a rich, deep brown, courtesy of the grape seed flour.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Whole Wheat-Walnut Biscuits with Grape Seed Flour.

comments

1. chinchillalover

These look,interesting.At first I thought this would be about funky looking muffins,or at least something very chocolaty.But they still look yummy.Is there any good recipe I could use that needs chocolate chips? I still have a 4-pound bag yelling at me from the kitchen cabinet.
    Here is a link to many recipes that call for chocolate chips:
    I’m sure you’ll find something to to your liking. ~Amy

2. lauried

Based on the title, I didn’t expect to see grape seed flour! Since that isn’t something most people have in their cabinets, do you have any suggestions for making these without the g.s. flour?

Absolutely- sorry, I meant to include that info. You can simply substitute either AP or whole wheat flour for the grape seed flour; neither will change the texture, just the color. Enjoy! PJH

3. "sandra Alicante"

Some enterprising wine maker thought of a use for some of his leftovers! That’s what I call being ‘green”!
    On a slightly different note, I too have one of those metal cutters that you used to cut the butter. It is probably one of the most used gizmos in my kitchen. From cutting butter, (making butter blocks for croissants), scraping down countertops, dividing dough, even sometimes scraping roast potatoes off the pan, it really is very useful!
    Yep you betcha! A bench knife is a precious item in the kitchen. Good thing we have a bunch, so there’s no fighting.
    ~MaryJane

4. SoupAddict Karen

That is really cool – I love rustic-looking bread. Now I have to have this flour. I also love the tuck and cut tip – that’s why you guys are the pros!

The more you bake, the more you figure things out, Karen – happy to share. PJH

5. milkwithknives

Oh, lovely! THAT’s what grapeseed flour is! I’ve seen it in your last couple of catalogs but never heard of it before then. Thanks for the neat recipe and example of how to use it. Ditto, about the great biscuit making tips. Grapeseed flour = wishlisted!

6. trish0911

Yum!!! I SO want to make these tomorrow morning!!! Any possible substitution for the buttermilk powder? I have your Baker’s Special Dry Milk on hand, but no buttermilk powder…

Go ahead and substitute the dry milk powder – the buttermilk powder is there for flavor, not as a leavening aide, so dry milk powder will be fine. Enjoy – PJH

7. dalesizemore

Do you have suggestions on how to make these in a vegan version?

You could try experimenting with shortenings, soy, rice, or nut milks and egg replacers. Frank @ KAF.

8. gaitedgirl

PJ – love your idea of pushing the “leftovers” back into the dough to reduce the amount of time you work with the dough. I must remember that tip! But here’s my question. What does grap seed flour taste like? What flavor does it bring to the table? (I ask because my husband is a creature of habit. He does not like different things and so if I’m going to say, “Pato (my nickname for him), this has grape seed flour in it!” he is going to look at me like I’ve grown another head.) I enjoy trying new things when it comes to baking and I’m happy that KAF has many, many different options out there for me to try (my wallet isn’t too happy with me but I digress…)!!

if you put some in your mouth, it tastes pretty much like whole wheat flour – slightly tannic, with grassy overtones. But to me, I can’t distinguish it when I bake with it (unless you planned to use it in larger percentages than I’ve used it here); seems like it’s more for color and health benefits. PJH

9. dalesizemore

Any suggestions on how to make a vegan version of these. They sound great but two in our household can’t eat milk, eggs, or butter.

Best to try a vegan whole wheat biscuit recipe, rather than try to retrofit this one. The eggs, milk, and butter are critical to this recipe. That said – if you’re willing to risk failure, you could try soy milk, vegetable shortening, and egg substitute: 2 tablespoons flax meal (the more finely ground, the better) blended with 3 tablespoons cold water. Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken before using. No guarantees; worth a try? Your call. PJH

10. "Jennifer F"

Would it work to add some honey or molasses to these? They seem like they would be good with a little bit of sweetness.
    You could try 1/4 cup of molasses or honey and omitting 1/4 cup of the milk. Have fun! ~Amy

11. kirstenhaughey

How many biscuits should this recipe make? Also, do you have the nutritional information for this recipe?

Hi Kirsten – the recipe makes a dozen 2″ biscuits. And we don’t have the nutritional information for it – sorry… PJH

12. kirstenhaughey

This is just an add-on – I made these biscuits tonight (I bought the grape seed flour and baker’s knife for this recipe!) and they were delicious! My husband was skeptical, but he ate three before dinner! I’ll be making these again!

Glad these worked out well for you, Kirsten- They’re a really interesting chocolate color, aren’t they? PJH

13. moriordan

One of my favorite local bakeries makes a DIVINE roquefort walnut baguette (we call it “crackbread” – seriously) and I’ve been trying to find a recipe online for it that I could try at home! I’m thinking this recipe plus a little roquefort thrown in would be amazing. Should I sub for a little bit of the butter, or just add some?

Hi – This biscuit recipe wouldn’t give you the distinctive texture of a baguette (though you could certainly add Roquefort to the biscuit – just add a bit, don’t sub for butter). Better, try this walnut, blue cheese and raisin fougasse, leaving out the raisins and shaping as baguettes; once you’ve made it once, try subbing some white whole wheat for some of the AP flour in the dough. might be just what you’re looking for… PJH

14. messycook

Is there a calorie/nutrition chart for these? We need to have whole grain, these look great, but we are concerned about calories/fat/sugar. Thanks.
    I am sorry, but unfortunately, we do not have the nutritionals worked up for this recipe. I can direct you to some sites that will be helpful in calculating just what you need.

And by the way, this recipe is great! Elisabeth

15. pucci7252

Do you think some white or brown sugar could be added to this recipe? Would be a great breakfast biscuit. Thanks.

Sure, why not? Scones are not typically too sweet so just 2-3 T. is all you need. Elisabeth@KAF