Gluten-free AND high-fiber: whole-grain bread

What better treat on a bright, crisp, late-winter day than a fresh loaf of whole-grain bread?

We realize it’s a challenge for those of you eating gluten-free to enjoy treats like this. What’s more, it’s tough to get enough healthy fiber into your diet.

So – here it is, the answer to your dreams:

Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread.

This doesn’t LOOK like gluten-free whole-grain flour, does it?

Looks are deceiving. Our gluten-free whole-grain flour blend includes sorghum, brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet, and teff flours, plus tapioca starch. For those of you struggling to add whole grains and fiber (but NOT gluten) to your diet, this blend is your new best friend.

Flax seeds are an excellent source of both fiber and antioxidants. One caveat: flax seeds have to be ground to release their nutritional benefits. Our organic milled flax is a healthy addition to breads, cookies, muffins, and scones of all kinds.

Whisk together the following – not in your stand mixer bowl, but in a separate bowl. You’re going to be adding these dry ingredients in portions to the liquid ingredients in the recipe.

3 cups (13 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Gluten-Free Whole Grain Flour Blend
1/4 cup milled flax
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum

Can you leave out the xanthan gum? No; it steps in for the gluten, and holds the bread together. If you’re going to be doing much GF baking, xanthan gum is a must-have.

Place the following in a mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer:

1 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter
3 large eggs

Whisk to combine.

Add 1 cup of the dry ingredients.

Whisk to blend, then beat at medium-high speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.

Repeat the process – add 1 cup of the dry ingredients, whisk, beat, scrape – until you’ve added all the dry ingredients.

After everything’s in the bowl, beat for 2 to 3 minutes at medium speed to make a very smooth, thick batter (or soft dough).

Like this.

Scrape the bater into the center of the bowl, cover the bowl, and let it rise for 1 hour.

It won’t rise a whole lot…

…but when you scrape it into the center of the bowl again, you’ll notice it feels a bit airy and lightened.

Grease an 8 1/2″ by 4 1/2″ loaf pan, or 9” x 4” x 4” loaf pan, or a small pain de mie pan (without the lid; you won’t need it).

Scoop the dough into the pan.

Use a spatula or your wet fingers to dome the loaf down the middle; this helps give it a nicer shape.

It’s hard to see, but this is slightly domed.

Cover the pan with greased plastic wrap or, easier, a shower cap. Set it in a warm place to rise until the loaf barely crowns above the rim of the pan.

This should take about 60 to 75 minutes.

Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake the bread for 40 to 45 minutes, tenting it with foil the final 10 to 15 minutes of baking., to prevent over-browning.

The finished loaf will be golden brown.

An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf will register about 205°F.

Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Yeah, I know this is a cutting board, not a rack; don’t worry, the loaf was already cool.

And why does bread have to cool on a rack, anyway? Because if you cool the loaf on a flat surface, heat will create steam underneath, making the bottom crust soggy, then leathery.

Slice when fully cooled.

Crackly/crunchy crust… moist interior… what a lovely bread for toast and sandwiches!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Gluten-Free Whole-Grain Bread.

comments

1. chinchillalover

I have to show this to my brother!!You posted the perfect blog.He needs more fiber in his diet and he used to get most of his fiber from a bread that my mom bought that literally you could see the little bits of fiber.But since he was diagnosed with celiac he obviously could not eat that bread anymore.Yippee!!
    vielen dank chinchillalover

Glad we can help – hope your brother enjoys them. PJH

2. kitlaura@yahoo.com

Hi
    can this recipe be used like any regular wholesome bread recipe just add your whole wheat flour and bread flour and not bother with the gluten free special flour. thanks
    lori

Lori, we have plenty of delicious whole-grain sandwich bread recipes on our recipe site; no sense trying to rework one that’s gluten-free, since it takes more than just substituting flour; the other ingredients and the technique is different, too. I heartily recommend this Sharing Bread, as well as Jan Brett’s Crunchy Whole Grain Bread, both of which are packed with healthy, tasty ingredients. Enjoy – PJH

3. kd8ejt

Thank you for posting this. I have several friends on a gluten-free diet and one in particular is struggling to find a good bread recipe.

4. Aunt LoLo

Oooh…looks good! I have a friend who cannot have dairy, or wheat gluten. I know milk makes bread richer, and yummier, but what will happen if I used water in the recipe instead?

I hope I can find your gluten-free flour mix in my local store…I’m excited!

How about using soy milk? I can’t say for sure that water will work here, since the protein in the milk might be providing some structure in the absence of gluten. You could try water, though, and see what happens; it’ll be just as yummy perhaps a bit more crumbly, that’s all. PJH

5. lisa778

Hi PJ, years ago (4 ?) you printed a receipe for some sweet bread using a starter. I love the idea and now use it for everything calling for yeast, from cinnamon rolls to whole grain bread. I’m making H.B. buns now.

The day before making any kind of dough place 1/4 cup water in glass container add pinch of yeast and sugar and add flour to make a thick paste; let stand overnight. Add to any recipe in the bread machine. I only use one teaspoon yeast due to the bubbling mixture from the day before…

Works like a charm and insures perfect rising.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, thanks for “resurfacing” this tip. Great idea, using in the bread machine – gives the yeast a nice head start. PJH

6. Cindy T.

Hi,do you know if you can make a starter like the one stated in the other post with gluten-free flour? I have such trouble even getting it to rise to the top of the pan and not fall. Might giving the yeast a head start help?Thanks!

No, giving the yeast a head start won’t help; it’s all about the structure (or lack thereof, due to absence of gluten), rather than the yeast. You could try a starter… but I’m thinking it won’t work well. Our test kitchen bakers are working on sourdough GF bread; might be best to wait and see what they come up with, eh? PJH

7. Lyn

Hi!

Can this recipe be used in a bread machine?
    Hi Lyn,
    In all honesty, we aren’t big fans of using bread machines for GF breads. After making literally hundreds of loaves, we find that you’ll get a much better result for your time and effort using a stand mixer. ~ MaryJane

8. reffi

Could this recipe be separated into individual rolls for hamburger buns? Does it need the support of a pan to insure the rise? Maybe individual portions in ramekins, or larger muffin tins?
    Geeze Reffi, I’m not sure how to exact go about this. We haven’t tested this for such, but if you feel like experimenting, I would think using our Hamburger Bun Pan would help promote the most efficient results with this. Have you checked out our Gluten-Free Brazilian Cheese Bun recipe/blog? That might be a place to start with your experiments! ~Jessica

9. proscribe

I bought the multiple purpose gf flour; and wonder if it would work with the whole grain recipe?
    It is unfortunately not practical to apply the gluten free multi purpose flour to a whole grain wheat bread recipe. Find a great gluten free whole grain recipe here. ~Amy

10. Kelli

Could honey or maple syrup be used to replace the sugar?
    Yes, you can replace the sugar with either ingredient. If you choose honey, it is best to cut the amount in half because honey is so sweet. So in this case, you would just use 1 tablespoon. ~Amy

11. skratch

Oh, this is the most satisfying GF bread recipe ever. The bread of life! My son appears healthy and is growing taller but is losing weight. I think his GF diet is just lacking in “real” calories. This flour mix, the recipe and the new pan are a wonderful combination. I am so grateful for all your research, products and advice.
    I’m going to try making buns in the hamburger pan soon. I’ll let you know how it goes!

1. Jack Smith

Scratch, wonder if inadequate absorption of nutrients through the gut is more likely the problem in celiac disease.

12. skratch

I prefer to weigh ingredients and I am a little confused by the weight of 3 cups of whole grain GF flour in the bread recipe. As I calculate it by the grams listed for a serving size, and even by the servings in the package I come up with a cup weighing about 4.25 oz and 3 cups weighing 12.75 oz not 13.5 oz. I made the recipe with 13.5 oz and it turned out great.

While we’re weighing how much does one cup of your GF all purpose flour weigh? How about the mix I make at home?

Thanks so much!
    The gluten free flour weighs 5 3/8 oz. per cup. ~Amy

13. klwall

Huh? Whole-Grain GF flour? Aww man! Now that I can find the GF line here on the other coast, it looks like I’ll have to start the hunt again. I’m not celiac, but I have a close friend here who is. I don’t do a lot of GF baking, but I’m trying to find GF recipes that I can serve when various folks are over. Last Christmas Eve, I made prime rib & Yorkshire pudding (once a year, every year). The day before I made the GF popovers, because I didn’t know how the GF mixture would/wouldn’t react in the hot beef drippings. I made the regular Yorkshire pudding as usual.
    Our celiac friend went back for more of “hers.” She loved them. Very excitedly and happily she said, ” You know how when you take a fork to bread it goes down then bounces back? [Head nod from me] Well, with most gluten free, that doesn’t happen. It goes down and stays down. It just gets thinner. Not these! The second I cut into it, it sprang back like regular bread! It’s great! I love it!”
    One thing: Has anyone developed a GF biscuit recipe? I’d love to see 2″+ biscuits that were GF. With the colder weather, we all need something to sop up the juice with!
    At the moment, we only have this drop biscuit recipe in our archives. ~Amy

14. Rachel

I’d like to have a breakdown of the cost of a loaf of this lovely looking bread. I have just gone gluten-free and am pretty shocked at prices of mixes.
    I apologize, but recipe costing is not a service we are able to provide. Perhaps this template will help you. ~Amy

15. Julie

I do not have easy access to the KF whole-grain GF mix, so I made up my own using 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup millet flour, 1/2 cup sorghum flour, 1/4 cup amaranth flour, 1/4 cup quinoa flour, 1 cup tapioca flour/starch. I also used rice milk instead of the cow’s milk. Worked great! The dough doubled during the first rise! The loaf is still baking, but it looks really nice and high!

16. c0pper4me

I use this bread recipe religiously….I have tried and mixed several flours to other recipes over the years and all which were rather good for a GF; they are still not the best for an all around loaf. I use this mainly to make my sandwiches. I just wish to request that you make this flour available in 5 lb. bags. Since I use it so much, it would be a convenience to me and to others who use lots….!!!! Thank KAF for providing products and recipes for all of us who have to use GF!!!!!

17. Jill

Unfortunately, I must avoid eggs as well. Would you please recommend a substitute for use in this recipe? Thank you !
    Please try using flax meal. Per one egg, combine 1 Tbsp flax meal with 3 Tbsp water and let sit for 10 minutes. The mixture will become gel-like. Add to your recipe as you would an egg. Elisabeth

18. MaryH

Can this be accomplished in a bread maker.

Don’t know, Mary, haven’t tested it. Perhaps if you have the Zo Virtuoso, which has a GF setting? Other than that I’d say try it, though no guarantees… PJH

19. Emily

This looks WONDERFUL! I was wondering if this recipe would work in a bread machine?
    Unless your machine has a gluten free setting, we usually recommend making gluten free bread in a stand mixer for best results. ~Amy

20. Krisztina

You can use grounded flax-seed (or chia) insted of the xanthan gum. You need same amount. It makes gel with hot water. Better/healthier choice

21. trussell416

It doesn’t say specifically what kind of milk to use….skim or full fat.
    I cannot have dairy and was wondering if almond or coconut milk would work
    We use 1% milk here in the kitchen for testing. Nut, soy or coconut milk should work just fine too. ~ MaryJane

22. trussell416

Thank you…I will use the canned light coconut milk….I cannot have dairy and am not a fan of the boxed milks because of all the added stuff to this. Also would like to try this in a bread maker. I have not had much luck with baking GF bread in the oven. This looks like a great recipe

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us at the Baker’s Hotline!-Jon 855 371 2253

23. Pam

What are the nutritional values for this recipe??
    Thank you!!

I am sorry to say that we do not have this information available.-Jon

24. Lisa

Can you use unflavored gelatin in place of xanthan gum?
    I will have to say, no. I can see why you may think this could work, though. Gelatin and xanthan gum share some of the same properties. However, xanthan gum will has the magical ability to trap the CO2 which is imperative when considering yeast doughs. You want that bread to rise, Lisa! Elisabeth

25. Bud Smith

Please don’t add me to a regular mailing list. I would like to know if the bread pan could be lined with parchment paper? Have you ever tried baking it in a crock pot? How did it come out?

Gluten free bread sometimes needs the straight sides of a baking pan to be successful in rising. This recipe should work with the parchment sling and in a crock pot – we’d love to have you post your results once you try this. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

26. Larry Chiri

Is there a way to make this in a breadmaking machine? it looks great.

If your bread machine has a gluten free setting then this recipe should work fine in it! Otherwise I would stick to a stand or hand mixer.-Jon

It should be possible to use this blend for this recipe! Give it a try and see how you like it. Jon@KAF

2. Hilary

One more question. What temperature should the warm milk be at? Is it the typical 105 degrees for warm water and yeast?

Your temp of 105′ sounds perfect. Technically any temp. between 90′ and 110′ is great. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

4. Rebecca

I’m wondering if anyone ever tried the ancient grains mix in this recipe–? Since the whole grain blend contains starch (tapioca) and the ancient grains mix does not, I’m hesitant to try it–doesn’t seem like it would work to me. But it would be great if it does!

We didn’t try this recipe with the Ancient Grains Blend. If you decide to do your own kitchen research – the readers of this blog as well as KAF would love to know your results! Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

Baby bottle warm is best – test it by sprinkling the warm milk on your wrist. Technically, you can use a thermometer to see if the temp. is somewhere between 90′ and 110′. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

27. Nancy

This recipe works great for me, but I wanted to make it with more fiber and less fat. The following 3 changes come out great! The bread rises even better, the flavor is still hearty, but less grassy and doesn’t have that slightly bitter after-taste. (1) I reduce the flour by 1 cup and add 1 and a quarter cups of oat flour (certified gluten free). (2) I use only egg whites, but increase them to 5, and I use extra large eggs. (3) I use sour milk. That is, I put 1 tablespoon of vinegar in a measuring cup and fill to one cup with milk. I do this first and let it sit while preparing everything else. I use 1 percent lactose-free milk. If I could drink buttermilk, I would just use that. If I were using a milk substitute, I would experiment with adding 1 tbsp. of vinegar to the wet ingredients and see what happens. Keep an eye on the dough during both rises, because it rises more quickly. I still do an hour for the first rise, but the second rise only takes about 40 minutes. The cooking time is unchanged for me, and the bread still needs tenting. I feel much better about eating this bread and it tastes better than any other G-F bread I’ve bought or baked.

28. Jana

Could this work in a cast iron bread pan? All my bread I have always used a cast iron bread pan and it normally comes out nice. If I use the glass bread pans it always sticks, but as GF is different than whole grain bread I wasn’t sure if this would hold true or not.

It would rise just fine, Jana – hopefully your cast iron pan is seasoned enough that it won’t stick. GF bread dough is definitely stickier than standard, so be sure, even if your pan is well seasoned, to grease it well with a non-stick vegetable oil spray or solid shortening (not butter). Good luck – PJH

29. Rebecca

okay, this sounds awesome! But I’m stuck at home in a snowstorm and can’t get to the store to buy the king arthur gluten free whole grain flour blend. However, I do have all the flours that are listed on the label as ingredients in the whole grain blend. Any advice on how to combine them to make a substitute? How much of each? What proportion of the blend is made up by tapioca flour and what proportion is whole grains? Thanks for any advice or guidance!

We have a recipe for Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour Blend – but sadly, not one for the GF whole grain blend. Another reader of this blog shared her “recipe” for making a whole grain blend that worked – you’ll find it posted under Julie on Jan. 19, 2012 (thanks Julie!). Happy GF Baking – Irene@KAF

Yvonne, if your bread maker has a gluten-free cycle (e.g., Zojirushi Virtuoso), then sure, it should work. If not, you could give it a try; but I don’t believe you’ll be happy with the result. My prediction is a dense, short, heavy loaf. PJH

30. "Cora "

I just bought the flour and am so excited to have whole grain bread again! But is it possible to omit the sugar? Or replace with honey? Thank you!

We have a store locator on our site, Vic. If you need help navigating through it, please do not hesitate to ask! You may call us (1-800-827-6836). We are here every day and can be reached up to 9pm during the week and 5pm on the weekends eastern standard time. Elisabeth@KAF

31. Joyce

Can you use the GF Sourdough Starter in this recipe and if so How would you use it? I am very new to GF and Sourdough baking. This bread would satisfy my Gluten intolerant husband’s bread raving. Thank You Joyce
    To make as soudough version, use 1 cup of GF starter, and decrease the recipe’s liquid and flour by 1/2 cup apiece. Susan

32. CC

I am curious of the shelf life of this bread. I read on your sandwich bread recipe that it needs to be toasted after the first day. Does this hold up any better for daily use throughout the week?

Thanks!

Whole grain breads do tend to stay soft longer than breads made with a refined flour. Still, after the first few days, toasting would be a good way to go.~Jaydl@KAF

33. Dan Murphy

OK, I’m an absolute rookie at baking bread and made this one for the first time. It came out way too dense. Your picture shows nice, light texture while mine is more like a brick.
    Before I try it again, do you have any suggestions where I can make a lighter loaf?
    The yeast and baking powder were new and I think I followed the directions well. Should it have been mixed more?
    Thanks.

Dan, our Baker’s Hotline would be the best place to get help- give us a call at 1-855-371-2253. There are too many variables to guess at! Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

34. sandyhoo

I’m new to GF baking and have no experience in altering recipes. Reading the comments and posts are pretty overwhelming. I made this bread using your “gluten-free brown rice flour blend” and had no problem with batter consistency, rising times, baking time. I think the texture and flavor are great. I just think it’s a little dry. Is there any way to add a little moisture? Like honey vs sugar or maybe a little applesauce? (I made the GF blueberry muffins and LOVED them ) Thank you.

Sandy, kudos to you for just jumping in and giving GF baking a whirl. Practice makes perfect, right? I’d stay away from adding sweetener, as that will negatively affect the yeast. Instead, you might try substituting 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter for 2 tablespoons of the milk. You might also add 2 to 3 tablespoons gluten-free Cake Enhancer, a starch that helps all kinds of baked goods stay softer and moister. Good luck – PJH

If you’re taking the first step in the GF baking journey, it’s best to use recipes that are already tried and tested instead of adapting wheat based recipes to Gluten Free. We’re glad you made this recipe without any ingredient changes. You might consider using half the amount of honey as compared to the sugar – happy baking! Irene@KAF

We do offer a helpful High Altitude Baking chart: . I hope this helps. Barb@KAF