VERY vanilla: cream-filled brioche, a.k.a…. help!

You know how it is when there’s information lurking somewhere in the back of your brain, and it simply WILL NOT emerge?

That’s what’s happening with the recipe we’re making today.

It’s an over-the-top specialty of the French Riviera: Brioche… something or other.

I first encountered this recipe about 10 years ago, attracted by its unusual combination of buttery yeast bread, and sweet, creamy filling. Bread and savory filling, yes; cake and sweet filling, yes.

But bread and sweet filling?

YES! Must make.

Somehow the years passed, and I never got around to making the recipe. In fact, I lost it. But I didn’t need a piece of paper to remind me of this compelling sugar-topped brioche with its sumptuous creamy filling.

Heck, that’s what the Web’s for. I can always find the recipe online, I thought.

Or not.

Brimming with confidence in the omnipotent power of Internet search, I Googled filled brioche. Vanilla brioche. Marseilles. Nice. Cannes.

Nothing.

Got into long-tail search: Brioche French Riviera vanilla cream pastry filled.

More nothing.

Lightbulb: search Google images, maybe you’ll see it.

Whole lotta nothin‘.

By this time, though, I can rule out a lot of things. It’s not Paris Brest, choux pastry filled with cream (think chocolate éclair without the icing). It’s not Bienenstich, kind of the same thing, but with almonds. It’s not bavarois (just the filling), nor Tarte Tropezienne (though Tarte Tropezienne – brioche filled with pastry cream – IS the same thing).

It’s just not the same NAME.

Sigh.

Help me out here, Breadheads. The first person to post a comment below with the name I’m trying to remember gets a batch of (real, not virtual) brownies, personally baked by yours truly and mailed to your door.

Maybe the following recipe will jog your memory…

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

2 3/4 cups (11 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
3 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk, white reserve for topping
1/4 cup lukewarm water
10 tablespoons butter

Mix with the flat beater paddle to combine everything thoroughly.

Now, though you’d usually switch to the dough hook at this point, stay with the flat beater. Beat at one speed above your mixer’s suggested kneading speed for 5 minutes. The dough will start to smooth out.

Scrape the sticky dough off the sides of the bowl, into the center.

Like this.

Knead for 5 more minutes using the flat beater.

Switch to the dough hook. Knead for 5 minutes at the speed recommended for your mixer.

The dough will still be very sticky. But see how the gluten is starting to develop?

Knead for an additional 5 minutes.

This dough has now been kneaded for 10 minutes with the flat beater, and 10 minutes using the dough hook. Notice it’s still sticky, but basically has cleared the sides of the bowl.

Can you do all of this without a stand mixer?

Yes. You can use a strong hand mixer, equipped with beaters and dough hooks.

You can also use a bread machine, set on the dough cycle. Brioche dough really showcases your bread machine’s ability to knead dough easily and thoroughly.

Scrape the dough out of the bowl, and shape it into a smooth ball. Place it in a lightly greased bowl.

Cover the bowl, and let the dough rise at room temperature for 1 hour.

It’ll rise minimally.

Cover the bowl, and refrigerate the dough for at least several hours, or overnight – up to about 16 hours. Chilling the dough will make it MUCH easier to work with.

While the dough is chilling, make the pastry cream filling.

Whisk together the following, in a saucepan:

3 cups whole milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

While the milk-sugar mixture is heating, whisk together the following:

1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
4 large egg yolks*

What to do with those leftover egg whites? Make a double batch of Vermont Maple Meringues.

Whisk about 1/3 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. This “tempers” the yolks, preventing them from becoming scrambled eggs when you add them to pan of the simmering milk.

Pour the egg/milk mixture back into the pan of simmering milk on the stovetop. Doing this through a strainer will help prevent lumps later.

See? Gotcha!

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk, until the mixture thickens.

To avoid lumps, it’s important to stir this constantly, and to run a spatula along the bottom of the pan to make sure nothing’s sticking. Don’t worry, the cream won’t take long to thicken.

Remove the pastry cream from the heat and strain it through a sieve to remove any lumps.

A spatula helps speed the process, but don’t push too hard; you don’t want to force any small lumps through the sieve.

Add 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or Vanilla Bean Crush.

What’s the black stuff?

Crushed vanilla bean pods and seeds from the Crush. LOVE this stuff.

Transfer the pastry cream to a storage bowl, and top with a buttered piece of parchment or plastic wrap.

This will prevent a skin from forming.

Refrigerate the cream until you’re ready to use it.

OK, back to the brioche.

Remove the brioche dough from the refrigerator; you’ll notice that it’s risen a bit overnight.

Divide the dough into 16 pieces. A scale makes this easy.

Shape each piece into a round ball. This is easy, as cold brioche dough is very pliable; think Play-Doh.

Space the balls on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about 2″ between them; they’ll expand quite a bit.

Cover the brioche, and let them rise for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until they’re very puffy.

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.

VERY nice expansion, for such a high-fat dough.

Beat the reserved egg white with 1 tablespoon cold water. Brush all over the top surface of the brioche.

Sprinkle with coarse sparkling white sugar or bright white pearl sugar (pictured above).

Be generous; this is the sparkling white sugar.

If you don’t have either of those sugars, leave the brioche untopped; or sprinkle with regular granulated sugar, for extra sweetness.

Place the pan on a lower-middle rack in the oven, and bake the brioche for 25 to 30 minutes, tenting them with aluminum foil after 15 minutes if they appear to be browning too quickly.

These brioche actually baked too long. I was working at my computer, looked down at my timer, and the battery had died.

PANIC! After this extended 2-day process, would the brioche be burned to a crisp?

Phew! Caught ’em just in time. Thankfully, only some of the brioche on the outside of the pan were slightly scorched.

Allow the brioche to cool on racks, or right on the pan.

An hour or so before serving, finish the pastry cream as directed below; and assemble the brioche.

Can you do this ahead, and refrigerate? Yes; but refrigerating baked bread (brioche) robs it of moisture; bread stored in the fridge will become very stale, very quickly.

If you can possible manage it, limit the brioche’s time in the fridge to several hours or less. And remove them from the refrigerator an hour or so before serving.

If you fill the brioche only an hour or so before serving, you can leave them at room temperature – unless it’s REALLY hot in your house, in which case they should be refrigerated.

That said, can you finish the pastry cream ahead of time? Sure; but I wouldn’t let it sit longer than 24 hours or so in the fridge before using.

Put 1/2 cup heavy cream in a bowl, and whip it to soft peaks.

Add the pastry cream.

Stir gently, just to combine.

Your cream may look thicker and more golden than the one I’m stirring together in the photo above. I’d originally whipped a full cup of cream; after the fact, I decided 1/2 cup yielded a filling whose thickness was more to my liking.

Slit each brioche around the circumference, making a top and bottom.

Spoon a heaping 1/4 cup filling onto the bottom…

…and lay the top over the filling.

Serve within an hour or so. Brioche can be filled and refrigerated for several hours, covered. Allow them to warm a bit before serving.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Vanilla Cream-Filled Brioche.

Whew! Thanks for all the help with the name. This “contest” is now closed. And I’ve determined the winner: Louise, a.k.a. LMHWood. Congratulations! I’ll contact you for your mailing address Monday.

So, what was the “magic word?” As it turned out… San. Yes, “San.” All of the Tarte Tropeziennes didn’t jog my memory, but “Tarte de San Tropez” (thanks, Louise) rang a bell.

comments

1. chinchillalover

DARN IT!I don`t have heavy cream nor do i have enough ingredients to make the substitution for it.
    Like the song says “…there’s always tomorrow for dreams to come true… ~ MaryJane

2. Irene in TO

Never liked vanilla cream-filled doughnuts? Good ones are my #1 choice. When I was a student, I always made sure that the dozen that we bought for weekend breakfasts had a few. They were freshly made in-store and weren’t too sweet if you didn’t get the dipped ones.

Then we discovered that the cat would die for them…she would try her best to steal a vanilla cream doughnut and she could eat the whole thing. Yes she liked the cream, but also the yeasty taste of the doughnut.

3. jodi

i, too, am completely stumped. mini tartes tropeziennes?? congrats in advance to the slueth who solves this mystery!!

No… PJH

4. fussybritches19

*sighs* Even searching in French all I could dredge up was Choumicha which is a Moroccan recipe for a brioche pastry with vanilla pastry cream which appears to be popular in the south of France. (Did find a rather awesome looking recipe for brioche with melted chocolate that looks like mini hamburgers, so all was not lost.)

You can get absolutely lost in Googling recipes, can’t you? Time just flies by… PJH

5. juthurst

This sounds very similar to Norwegian School bread, only the dough would have cardamom in it, and after baking one would poke a hole in the top with a finger, rotate the finger to create a small cavity in the roll, then fill with pastry cream using a pastry bag and tip and top with icing and shredded coconut.

In this way, the pastry cream filling does not ooze out all over the place…

you are making me hungry! :)

Wow, didn’t know Norwegians went so far beyond lefse! (I can say that because I’m Norwegian…) :) PJH

6. fhodges52

Are you talking about “croquembouche?” I can’t wait to make this one and see how yummy it is. I watch Martha Stewart making her famous ones at Christmas. Thanks for the great blog. I would love to make a good chocolate eclair. Anyone know a great recipe?

No, not croquembouche… For chocolate eclairs, use this puff shell recipe, piped in a log instead of a round; fill with the pastry cream in this brioche recipe; and drizzle with chocolate ganache. YUM! PJH

7. Amy Lynn

My Norwegian friend assures me that they are called “fastelavens boller” and are particular to a holiday in February called “Shrove Tuesday” in English.

8. crt01s

They remind me a bit of the buns my mother used to make for Shrove Tuesday. I think they were called Semlor. However, the topping was different; instead of coarse sugar, they were topped with coarsely ground nuts.

Yes, Swedish Semla. I need to make those sometime, too – and you’re right, they include almonds or almond paste… PJH

9. Rebecca

You might try searching with a French name, like Gateau de Creme or Gateau de Brioche or Brioches de Petits Pains a la creme. I came several interesting and similar breads when searching with those key words.

10. Louise

But it IS called tarte tropezienne! Also tarte de san tropez, or I suppose more generically gateau a la creme. Supposedly Brigitte Bardot came up with the name, but there’s not much glory in naming a dessert for it’s city of origin….

Louise, congratulations! Please send my your physical address, so I can send you your brownies: pj.hamel@kingarthurflour.com. Thanks- PJH

11. tbothe

Could it be Brioche Mousseline or Brioche de Rois?
    If I’m right, could you throw in a couple of these too?

Good guesses based on the ingredients, but no- phew, don’t have to figure out how to ship one of these! PJH

12. aechl

Is it Brioche Tropezienne?

Akin to this -http://www.french-riviera-mag.com/recipes/tropezienne-pie-recipe.htm

Same recipe, different name… PJH

13. fran16250

I LOVE how you give us an idea of what to do with the leftover egg whites. I do wish I knew the name you were after as I’d love to have a delivery of brownies made by the one and only PJH! I’ll keep watching for the answer.

14. gildeddawn

Could it be brioche mousseline? I know that some people call a richer brioche that, but I’ve also seen cream-filled brioche called that.

No, that’s not it – but thanks. PJH

15. kaf14387

A little google digging has suggested these options for a name:
    St Tropez Cake
    Tarte Tropezienne
    Baba Brioche
    Brioche Creme Mousseline
    Brioche au Crème Patissière
    Brioches à la Crème

Any winners? Must stop googling and start baking!

Go for it! Unfortunately, the answer is, “none of the above…” PJH

16. gildeddawn

I can’t tell if my previous comment went through, so, sorry if this is a double-post. My guess, though, is brioche mousseline. It may be a general term for rich brioche, but it sometimes refers to cream-filled ones, too.

17. LMHWOOD

But it IS called Tarte Tropezienne! Although Tarte Tropezienne (or Tarte de San Tropez) is usually a larger dessert…perhaps these could be Mini Tartes Tropeziennes? They say that the original baker in San Tropez just called it a gateau a la creme until Brigitte Bardot renamed it. Though there’s not much glory in naming a dessert after its city of origin. Looking forward to finding out it’s alternate name!

18. Bridgid

Your filling is diplomat cream. I don’t know the name of this but I do know I will be making it once I figure out the weight watchers points plus value. I wish you much success in your finding out!!

19. ddcooks

Is it called a Tarte Tropézienne? I found this description on a very nice blog, in their version the brioche was shaped into a 9″ round and had a crumb topping. Both versions look delicious.

Same recipe, but I made minis – but no, different name. PJH

20. "Christian T"

tarte au sucre?

Did a Google looking for French sounding names paired with cream-filled brioche. Mostly, I turned up “cream-filled brioche.” Including a copy of this very blog entry complete with photographs under some other name.

Not tarte au sucre… Glad we’re showing up in search! :) PJH

21. Astrid (Lunches Fit For a Kid)

I tried to comment and the comments didn’t show up – I’m trying without signing in. Are they Brioche Tropezienne?

No… PJH

22. exanim01

Are you thinking of profiteroles? Choux paste, cream filling…

–Lisa

(sorry if this is a double-comment. the first one didn’t seem to post)

No… and it took awhile for me to get in here and approve all these comments, that’s why they haven’t been showing up right away. :) PJH

23. Marguerite Czarnecki

Dear Mrs Hamel,

A friend from Baltimore just arrived yesterday to Paris, bringing me a copy of Julia Child’s The Way to cook (mine had been lost). Your Tarte tropézienne is page 52, with the entry The Provençal Beehive Cake, flavored with rhum. Yours is perfect.

I hope that one day I will go and visit you in Vermont. My son is a physician in Baltimore and this is more my visiting location when I travel in the US. Thanks to you and King Arthur Flour, I am a very happy baker. All the best to you and your team. M.C.

Nice to hear from you again, Marguerite – as I recall, I got a handwritten letter form you long ago? Thanks for staying in touch, and for the Julia reference… PJH

24. "sandra Alicante"

Looks like Devonshire Splits to me! (If you like the suggestion, I’ll settle for some of your Caramel/mint/fruit baking chips – I think the brownies would be stale by the time they reached Alicante!).

Sandra, this is the French version of Splits, for sure – but it has a French name, I know it does… PJH

25. Dori

We always ordered “un gâteau à la crème”…cream cake. I could never remember the name but always managed to get my point across! :) These are delicious…I’m totally going to have to attempt the recipe…sit and eat my un gâteau à la crème with an espresso and have myself a little vacation!

26. carml13

I was just thinking longingly about these buns last night! I used to enjoy them at a cafe in Spain where they were called “Christina’s” and filled with either sweetened whipped cream or vanilla custard.
    My son would order one every visit . . . and then ask for dessert!

27. "sandra Alicante"

Gâteau des Rois——could be a contender. It is a creme filled brioche, made in various guises in France and here in Spain. Common around the holidays particularly. It could also have Polish origins. I read that a baker on a film set years ago, made a particular cake for the crew. The cake was given the name Tarte Tropezienne so that it could basically be patented, so the original name may have been different.

Sandra, that’s not it – same idea, though. PJH

28. eleyana

It wasn’t something as simple as a filled beignet maybe? Somebody’s got to hit on it sooner or later! ☺

No… but I’m still hoping. :) PJH

29. photopiggy

You’ve got us all on a wild goose chase! :)

Is it any of these:

Brioche Bostock
    Brioche Doree
    Brioche Parisienne
    Brioche Beignet
    Brioche Viennoisserie

Keep chasing… :) PJH

30. samarchesseau

I don’t know the French version, but yeast bread with a creamy custard filling and fruit was always a favorite in our house while growing up. My family makes an old family recipe we just called Kuchen (if you google “German Kuchen” you’ll find quite a few recipes with the custard filling). There is nothing better than a soft slightly sweet yeast bread filled with apples (my favorite, but any fruit will do) and a rich creamy custard. Your recipe sounds divine, so I thought I’d share another variation of the combo.

Interesting, now I’ve heard about Swedish, Norwegian, German, Cornish, and French versions of this… it translates well to any culture, doesn’t it? PJH

31. kenj

After reading all these comments, I’m guessing it was the specialty only of the place where you bought and ate them, and that they named it something they liked but that no one else uses. :)

32. eleyana

I understand about the frustrating internet search. I spent 15 years searching for a lost childhood book because we couldn’t remember the proper title and were going in the wrong direction. (I did finally find it last year, don’t despair! LOL) Try ‘custard’ instead of creme. I did find a description in a french bakery: “Custard Brioche -
    Brioche Cross Filled with Custard and Topped with Coarse Sugar Crystals” that really sounds like what you are making but no other name for it. Brioche sucre is not necessarily filled and baba au rhum is soaked so not what you are describing. And maybe look at sites for French patissieres to see what they offer.

Elyana, I’m on that same search! I’ve found every childhood book save one: about 5 Chinese brothers who somehow controlled the sea. I remember one had a head shaped like a bowl, and he carried the ocean “in his head” – I remember the photo SO well… Actually, still looking for the Book of Knowledge version of the Will o’ the Wisp, too. Thanks for a late-afternoon smile…

33. mdeatherage

I have some pretty decent Google-fu but I’m coming up empty, too. I found two bakeries selling very similar confections as “sugar buns” (pastry cream-filled brioche buns topped with coarse sugar), and one bakery that calls it “custard brioche,” but neither of these is really a French-sounding name in the sense you meant.

In the more cake-like department, the technique seems similar to Bienenstich, so maybe it was a fusion of that and brioche?

In the searching, btw, I found lots of places selling burgers on brioche buns, but one place suggested taking these kinds of buns (perhaps without the sugar on top) and using them for breakfast sliders—sliced and filled with egg, sausage or bacon, and melted cheese. That may be a good reason to bake these buns without the sugar, or to double the recipe! :-)

It’s close to Bienenstich, but without the almonds. Thanks for the reminder that brioche makes spectacular burger buns, too… PJH

34. cmocva

can you tell us the source of the recipe? i’m thinking that maybe this recipe doesn’t have an official name but a made up name exclusive to the recipe you lost… just a thought…

Can’t remember the exact source, though I believe I saw a picture of it in a book… PJH

35. sue21branham

Could it possibly be sugar brioche, Normand brioche or Zurich brioche? I found those names on a website of mouthwatering pastries. See below.
    I hate it when I can’t remember a name. So frustrating! I’ve been wanting to make brioche for about 25 years since I first saw it in a McCall’s cooking school recipe. Guess I’ll finally get around to it since I discovered King Arthur Flour! Love your recipes.

None of the above, Sue, but thanks – and thanks for your kind comments, too! PJH

36. eleyana

LOL, I have that book. It’s called The Five Chinese Brothers. Available at most book stores. ☺☺☺ One could not be burned, one could hold his breath forever, one had an iron neck, one could stretch his legs and the last could swallow the sea. And my daughter is always amazed at that BAD little child who gets the ultimate consequence of disobedience. Yup, we read that often growing up, I had to have a copy.

Yes, this is it – Thanks so much! PJH

37. sue21branham

I’d like to make a suggestion, which may work for you. Anytime I can’t remember a name from some long forgotten time, I ruminate over it by saying any silly name that pops into my head while concentrating on the root source of my frustration. I do this for a few minutes at a time and I may do this a few times, especially at bedtime. You probably won’t remember it at first, but I’ll bet when you wake in the morning and start thinking about it, the answer will eventually pop into your mind. It’s amazing how well this works for me. Hope it does for you. The sub-conscious is an amazing thing.

Thanks, Sue – I’ll try this. PJH

38. allison0611

Hello,
    I’m sorry I cannot help with the name, and am instead asking another question– is it possible to substitute regular (liquid) milk for the dry milk in a recipe such as this? Thank you– I have loved reading your posts. They’re very inspiring!

Yes, substitute 1/4 cup milk for the 1/4 cup lukewarm water – should work out just fine, Allison. PJH

39. Margy

How about maritozzi?–Sorry, that’s Italian, but same idea. I’ve had sweet brioche stuffed with gelato at Italian bakeries and gelaterias.

40. empressqueenb

Ohhh..I remember that book about the 5 Chinese brothers!! Wow, that took me back a few years! Sorry I don’t have any idea about the brioche name for you… but thanks for the memory!

41. Marie M.

Could it be that the name you’re trying to remember is something really literal like brioche à la crème patissière? It would make sense, it just doesn’t seem like a very special name, though…

No, it was more of a place name… PJH

42. Liz Sullivan

Gosh! Look at all the responses! What people will do when tempted by an offer of homemade brownies delivered to one’s door!
    Wish I knew the answer. ;-)
    Liz

43. "parkinct@aol.com"

Okay, this whole post is starting to remind me of Rumpelstiltskin, where the queen is trying to guess his name. Brioche Chantilly (as that’s what the filling is) seems to fit but, hey–a brioche by any other name would taste as sweet.

44. allison0611

Hello,
    I am sorry I can’t help with the name, and am instead asking another question– is it possible to use regular (liquid) milk instead of the dry milk in recipes such as this? Thank you. I have loved reading your blog posts– They’re very inspiring!

Yes, Allison, substitute the liquid milk for the lukewarm water – should be just fine. PJH

45. martibeth

PJ, Isn’t the name of the book “The Five Chinese Brothers”? If you are looking for that book, I probably still have my copy that you can have.

You’re absolutely right, Marti – and I approve comments from newest to older, so saw someone else’s answer first and went right on bn.com and ordered it for my mom. If you still had your copy, though – I’d love it. Maybe we can work a trade… :) PJH

46. "Linda S"

Maybe you ought to hold a contest for this, with the winner getting a copy of the KAF cookbook! Nothing like more incentive! :-D

Contest prize is fresh-baked brownies… I promise they’re good! PJH

47. ErinG

How about an Austrian Buchteln? No? Oh, well…we’ll keep searching.

As far as your book goes, try “The Seven Chinese Brothers.” I LOVED that book as a kid. I would love to read it again, too. Each of the brothers had a “different power.”

Here’s an Amazon link for it http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Chinese-Brothers-Blue-Ribbon/dp/0590420577/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299902169&sr=1-2#_

Not the Buchtein, but… “The Five Chinese Brothers” (progenitor of the Seven) is IT! The book I’ve been looking for all these years… Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just ordered – Erin, you’re my hero! :) PJH

48. mdeatherage

Oh, duh, you said in the post it wasn’t Bienenstich. My bad.

I tried again focusing on French language sites with some translation help, and oddly enough, there is a very common brioche pastry with pasty cream filling, but it’s rolled like a cinnamon bun and not baked and sliced/filled.

For some reason that I really don’t want to think about too much, these are called “Chinese Brioche,” or in French, “Brioche Chinois.” This may actually be bastardized somewhat, because apparently “Chinoise” is Dutch for “Chinese” too, and they’re popular in the Netherlands (here’s a popular recipe for them in Dutch).

Anyway, it could be that, just two words and, well, kind of French but not enough to show up very easily on a search…

Hmmm, I’m trying to visualize pastry filling being rolled up in a bun and then baked… so no, not the name, but interesting concept!

49. Nene

Here in the north of the Netherlands (Friesland), the bakeries sell a “puddingbroodje” – a white yeast bun (not a brioche, I’m afraid) filled with pastry cream and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

I have also seen chinois or brioche à la crème pâtissière sold here – this is indeed a brioche filled with pastry cream, but the presentation is more like an American cinnamon roll.

Nene

Add the Netherlands to the list of cultures enjoying this yeast bread/pastry cream combo! PJH

50. "sandra Alicante"

OK, now I’ve got brain ache! I’ve looked and looked and looked and can’t seem to find anything else. A suggestion though, look at a detailed map of the South of France and study the place names, you may just happen upon it – unless it was named after the bakery, which could be more difficult!

Thanks, Sandra – I think it’s time for you to enjoy the weekend! PJH

51. cmocva

some more ideas, brioche Place de la Mairie or brioche bardot or brioche Rayol-Canadel or brioche Boulangerie Filigheddu or brioche la Place de la Mairie or brioche Et Dieu créa la femme

52. "sandra Alicante"

TEMPTATION; A Taste Of St.-Tropez
    St. Tropez!
    http://www.nytimes.com/keyword/brioche (from yr 2000)

Found this….although it says rum spiked, the French would have automatically made a Vanilla custard/cream to start off with!

IN the granite grip of winter, the sunny notion of a dessert named St.-Tropez (more widely known as tarte tropezienne) has undeniable appeal. It is an immense round of buttery brioche, dimpled like focaccia, sugared on top and filled with satiny rum-spiked custard. Think of an oversize Boston cream pie with more substance but no chocolate, simple but lavish. In Provence, several traditional desserts are made with brioche. This one is a specialty of St.-Tropez on the French Riviera, but anyone who wants to wear a bikini on the beach may be advised not to indulge too much.

Think it’s as close as I’m going to get! If this is the one, I have a young friend in the States whose grandmother has had a stroke, I’m sure she could do with the comfort of some of your brownies!

This is indeed the dessert… not sure of the name. PJH

53. pjh

Whew! Thanks for all the help with the name. This “contest” is now closed. And I’ve determined two winners: Louise, and LMHWood. Congratulations! I’ll contact you for your mailing address Monday.

So, what was the “magic word?” As it turned out… San. Yes, “San.” All of the Tarte Tropeziennes didn’t jog my memory, but “Tarte de San Tropez” (thanks, Louise and LMHWood) rang a bell. – PJH

54. "sandra Alicante"

Haha!
    Glad you finally got your answer, it’s like having one piece of a jigsaw missing!

Unlikely to be called Tarte de (San) Tropez though, it would be “St.” Tropez, it is just that it is pronounced ‘san’ in French.

I know – it was just the word that “spoke” to me, for some reason… And thanks for your NY Times explanation, much appreciated. PJH

55. lishy

So many types of yummy filled treats. This actually reminds me of a French Canadian Bismarck, sort of a not sweet doughnut filled with fluffy white pastry cream, sometimes also with jelly in addition to the cream. I adore them. I will be trying this recipe for Easter dessert I think. Thanks for the fun read, and I am glad you found out answers to a few questions! Looking forward to trying this amazing looking treat!

56. marthamcmc

It’s been fun reading the comments. Glad you found your answers. There’s a French bakery and bistro in San Diego called St. Tropez and they have a St. Tropez Cake, sold either by the slice or whole. Sadly, I no longer live in San Diego but this recipe may satisfy my longing for that wonderfully light, heavenly dessert. Thanks!

57. Susan

BREAD MACHINE WARNING! I thought these looked like a yummy weekend project. At home I have a Zo, but at my vacation cottage I use an inexpensive bread machine. I noticed the dough mixture was very heavy, not much water for all the flour and butter. After a couple of minutes of mixing, the blade stopped turning. I could hear the motor whirring, and I know from sad experience that these machines use plastic gears that cannot be replaced or repaired and you can’t even get into the machine (unlike my first machine that had a belt that could be replaced). No choice but to throw it away. I finished kneading the dough by hand, and it looks and feels great. But I no longer have a bread machine to use here. So be careful if you plan to use a machine rather than a stand mixer!

58. rachelgucker@gmail.com

I made these today, and they burnt to a crisp on the bottom within 15 minutes. I’m at a loss for why…I have an oven thermometer, and it was reading the right temp…One set was on a stone and the other on a baking pan with parchment….any thoughts?

Yes – brioche is a rather delicate yeast bread, and shouldn’t be baked on a stone. Did you have it in the center of the oven, rather than towards the bottom? If so, you’d probably want to “double pan” it next time: set the brioche on a baking sheet with parchment, then set that sheet atop (nested into) another baking sheet, to provide insulation. Hope this helps – PJH

59. plume

I’m from the south of France and this is definitly a tropézienne.
    I’m a pastry book lover and I never saw this cake under another name.

60. Momo

I’m happy that your lost name has been found, but….but….a creme-filled brioche by any other name could taste as sweet. Sorry – I just couldn’t resist. ;-)

So true, Momo… so very true. :) PJH

61. Liz Sullivan

PJ, Your offering of homemade brownies created quite a stir! Would you consider sharing your favorite brownie recipe, and tips on how to package and ship so they arrive fresh and delicious? All of us know someone who would appreciate such a nice gift. Thank you.

Liz, my favorite brownie recipe is our guaranteed Fudge Brownies. I’ll be shipping them this afternoon. I bake them in a parchment-lined pan, so they turn out of the pan without sticking. Let them cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap, sealing completely; then foil. Then into a box with some bubble wrap. I usually send USPS Priority mail, but since I want to be sure they get there by Friday, I think I’ll send them UPS second-day. They’re moist enough that they seem to do just fine either way. PJH

62. Gertilda

Hello, I’m excited to make this recipe this weekend. I noticed in your blog, the brioche requires 3 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk. Just wanted to let you know that the print version of the recipe only states 3 eggs, it doesn’t include the additional yolk. Thanks for a great new dessert to try!

That extra yolk got left out of the recipe, but now it’s there, thanks to your eagle eyes! PJH