Fiber-friendly family favorite: Fruit & Yogurt Muffins

WHOA! Are those some nice-looking muffins, or what?

And not only are they handsome – they sport a couple of hidden assets.

1) The batter goes together easily. A bowl and spoon is all you need to stir together dry ingredients, whisk wet ingredients, then combine the two. If you’re used to “stir together” muffins playing Cinderella to the typically higher-rising, “cream together” muffins, this recipe belies that truth.

2) Even without the addition of the oat topping and dried fruit (which is usually pretty fiber-rich), these muffins include 4g fiber each – more than most “good for you” breakfast cereals, and many whole-grain breads.

How can that be, you ask?

Hi-maize Fiber, an easy, practically invisible way to add fiber to just about any baked treat.

High-fiber without the grit? Without the color and assertive taste of whole wheat?

Do I hear you saying, “Tell me more”?

OK, don’t mind if I do.

Hi-maize Fiber (pictured above) is made from non-GMO corn. It looks and feels just like cornstarch – but unlike cornstarch, it’s “resistant starch,” i.e., it resists digestion.

Not to get TOO clinical here, but here’s how it works. Most starches are digested and absorbed into the body through the small intestine. But some resist digestion and pass through to the large intestine, where they act like dietary fiber to improve digestive health.

This type of starch is called “resistant starch” – available to consumers as Hi-maize.

To summarize, Hi-maize combines the health benefits of resistant starch (including prebiotic properties), and the texture benefits of a high-quality carbohydrate – e.g., white flour.

Nothing wrong with that, eh?

Let’s make high-fiber, high-flavor, high-rising Yogurt & Fruit Muffins.

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease the wells of a muffin pan; or line the pan with paper liners, and grease the liners.

Place the following in a large mixing cup or small bowl:

1/3 cup milk
3/4 cup (6-ounce container) lemon, vanilla, or other fruit-flavored yogurt, regular or low-fat (not nonfat)
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor, optional but good; or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk to combine.

Whisk together the following in a mixing bowl:

1 1/2 cups (6 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup Hi-maize Fiber*
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Cake Enhancer, optional, for tenderness

*Substitute all-purpose flour, if desired; you’ll lose the fiber, but muffins will still be tasty.

Add the yogurt mixture, stirring to combine.

Add 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) melted butter.

Stir just to combine; no need to beat.

Add 1 cup (6 ounces) dried fruit, chopped if large; Tropical Fruit Blend is what I’m using here.

Don’t care for dried fruit? Substitute chopped nuts; chips (chocolate, cinnamon, butterscotch…); fresh blueberries; or nothing at all, if you’re a muffin purist.

Stir to combine.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin.

A muffin scoop works well here, depositing even-sized scoops of batter into each well. A very slightly heaped scoop is the right amount.

Each cup should be about 2/3 full.

Next, we’ll make the streusel topping.

Put the following in a bowl:

1/4 cup (1 ounce) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons softened butter

Mix until well combined and crumbly.

Sprinkle a generous tablespoon of topping over each muffin.

Here they are, ready to go into the 400°F oven – which you’ve preheated, right? It’s important these muffins go into a hot oven, so they rise nicely.

Bake the muffins for 16 to 18 minutes.

They’ll dome nicely, and brown gently.

Like this.

How do you know if the muffins are done all the way through?

Stick a toothpick or cake tester into the center of one of the center muffins. If it comes out clean, or with just a couple of moist crumbs clinging to it, the muffins are done.

Remove the muffins from the oven, and tilt them in the pan to begin cooling. When you can handle them, transfer them to a rack to cool completely.

Now those are some handsome muffins! And tasty. AND high-fiber.

Healthy homerun!

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for High-Fiber Fruit and Yogurt Muffins.

comments

1. Julia

The crown on these is amazing!!! And they look so moist! Do you think the high crown has something to do with letting the batter rest while you made the streusel topping? I remember the experiment you folks did before by achieving higher crowns by letting the batter rest before putting it in the oven. I have been trying to experiment with this on my own but often can’t do side-by-side comparisons. Thanks for your thoughts…….I love tall muffins!

Could be, Julia; I think it’s also the yogurt, as the acid reacts with the bicarbonate in the baking powder to give the muffins a nice, big boost, both in the time before you put them into the oven, and once they hit the oven’s heat. PJH

2. Jess

If I use plain yogurt, how should I adjust the sweetener? Could I add applesauce for sweetening? This looks like a great recipe.

You wouldn’t need much adjustment, Jess – try adding a tablespoon of sugar. Or you could try using half plain yogurt, half applesauce (in place of the sweetened yogurt). The muffins wouldn’t be as tender, but they’d no doubt taste just fine. PJH

3. lorrainesfav

Beautiful muffins PJ! How about a sub with golden flax meal instead of the high maize fiber?

Give it a try, Lorraine – it’ll certainly change their taste, and may change their texture; but there’s no telling till you give it a whirl. Good luck – PJH

4. wcarey

If I were to substitute and equal amount of white whole wheat flour for the Hi-maize Natural Fiber, do you think I would need to adjust the amount of liquid ingredients at all? Thank you.
    You may need to add a little more milk to your batter. Check for batter consistency. It shouldn’t run from the muffin scoop or be difficult to get out either. It should pour slowly like a thick pancake batter would. Elisabeth

5. jadite

These sound great but can you substitute Greek yogurt?

Absolutely; should work just about the same. You might want to add a tablespoon of fruit juice (or milk, water, or liquid of your choice), to make up for the lost liquid. PJH

6. gpyrocat

I made these to bring to work tomorrow and they are really tasty but I think the streusel recipe is wrong. Did you mean a cup or half a cup of flour? It doesn’t look right.

So sorry, that should be 1/4 cup, or 1 ounce – the weight/volume got transposed. I hope they tasted OK… my apologies for the mistake, and thanks for pointing it out. PJH

7. gpyrocat

Hi PJ
    The muffins tasted fine, they were just a bit pale on top =) I should have checked another streusel recipe when i thought it looked funny.

For jadite, I also used non-fat Greek yogurt (only stuff in the fridge) and guessed on the additional milk, roughly a tablespoon. The batter was not as runny as the pictures, but the crumb is very nice. I used dried cherries and mini chocolate chips. To “correct” my streusel boo-boo, I brushed off the excess flour and drizzled with a very small amount of melted chocolate. Yummy!

Thanks for being a good sport about MY error – not yours! ;) PJH

8. mom2jnk2

Made these with raspberry jammy bits instead of the dried fruit this evening. Yummy, but I learned my lesson to read thru all of the comments before proceeding with a new recipe. I too had the “1 cup of flour” in the topping printout. Something was obviously wrong with that one…I just too just brushed off the excess floury topping and drizzled a little powdered sugar glaze over top. All’s well that ends well ;-)

Glad you were able to rescue these- my apologies! ;) PJH

9. alvicki

I was very excited when I seen this recipe because of the high fiber. I had to buy the cake enhancer and the Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor from KAF, because I wanted to make them exactly as the recipe says…I am wondering if there was an error in the amount of milk that you list. I followed the recipe exactly twice. once by weight and one by Volume. Both turned out like bread dough before rising. The batter was so sticky that you could not use a cup cake scoop. As a matter of fact it was so sticky that you could turn the bowl upside down and it would not even run out of the bowl. On my third try I used 1/2 cup milk instead of a 1/3 cup as the recipe calls for and they turned out better. But when you broke one apart it was kinda hollow as would a puff pastry would be. The flavor was good but a very weird looking muffin….Any suggestion…I am confused.
    I am sorry for your difficulty. There may have been too much flour in your dough if it was so thick and sticky. If you are not scaling by weight, we recommend using this method to measure flour:
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/measuring-flour.html I hope this is helpful. ~Amy

10. alvicki

Thank you for responding to my questuon Amy. But as I stated before I did 2 batchs..one by volume…and one by weight. Both came out the same very thick and sticky. On my third batch I used 1/2 cup milk instead of 1/3 cup as the recipe calls for and it turned out a lot better. I followed the recipe to a T…heh heh even had my wife check off the list. I was really disapointed in this recipe I really wanted it to turn out good.
    I still believe there is a mistake in the amount of milk as printed in the recipe… Oh well Thanks anyway.

You used a 6-ounce container of yogurt; and large eggs? 6 1/4 ounces of flour? I’m glad the 1/2 cup worked better. Just curious – did you use Hi-maize, or did you substitute flour? Since flour is higher protein, it might absorb more liquid; I’ll have to retest using flour in place of Hi-maize. Thanks for continuing to connect here – we’ll get to the bottom of this! PJH

THANK YOU so much for doing this “testing” for us. I tried it again this morning, and you’re right – the milk needs to be increased to 1/2 cup if you don’t use Hi-maize. I’ve changed the recipe to reflect that. Again, many thanks- it takes a community to build a good recipe! :) PJH

11. alvicki

Thank you for your time with my questions. That is one of things that make your company and this site so great, you take the time to help and I for one really appreciate it, plus the fact that you have the best flours there is. Yes I did use all the correct ingredients as listed. I already have Hi-Maize. The one I used was Hi-Maize corn fiber, I believe its the same as the hi-maize natural fiber you have listed in the recipe. On a happy note I made a fourth batch and they where super, the only problem was they came out of oven about 5 mins. before my sister & her 2 teenage boys showed up. Needless to say they where gone in a flash, with huge raves. Thank you so much for responding to questions and keep up the great work at King Arthur Flour..:) Al

Al, thanks for clarifying that you did use Hi-maize… so now I’m STILL flummoxed! Ah well, I guess since they”re coming out OK now (at least judging by the reaction of your sister and her sons), we can say all’s well that ends well. Thanks for sticking with it – and thanks so much for your kind words. BTW, the version I made today used dried pineapple, and instead of streusel on top, flaked coconut – YUM. :) PJH

12. lauried

These are delicious! I didn’t have any of the Hi-maize fiber, dough enhancer or buttery dough flavor, so I followed the instructions to use all purpose flour and increase the milk. And because I had only had Greek yogurt on hand, I used a little less and mixed in some milk until it had the consistency of regular yogurt.
    For the fruit mixture, I used a combo of apricots, dried blueberries and currents (about a 1/2 cup total), and added a few tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut and chopped pecans for the rest. My yield was 13 large muffins. They are very hearty and perfect for my kids’ breakfasts. It’s more work on my part, but I have convinced my teenagers to give up the store-bought breakfast and protein bars by making things like these muffins. Thanks for a fantastic recipe.

Laurie, thanks to you for making the effort to get something healthier into the kids! That’s a big part of baking, isn’t it – you can control at least part of your kids’ diet… Glad they enjoy them. PJH

13. Bonnie

Could you substitute white whole wheat flour in place of the all purpose flour? And keep the hi-maize fiber the same as in the original recipe.

Bonnie, I haven’t tried this, but judging by my other muffin experiments I believe that should work just fine. If you try it, report back and let us all know how they came out, OK? Thanks – PJH