Soft, scrumptious, and sourdough: pretzels from your “discard” starter.

What is it about feeding sourdough starter that makes so many of us nuts?

Discarding that initial cup of perfectly good starter to get the process going, right?

I mean, it just doesn’t feel right, throwing away this starter you’ve been feeding, and coddling, and nursing into maturity with regular meals and draft-free, comfortably warm counter-time.

Why is it, anyway, that feeding sourdough requires you to discard a cup of perfectly good (albeit unfed) starter as part of the process?

Well, most people say it’s “so your refrigerator won’t be overrun with starter.”

But that doesn’t make sense. Since you’re going to remove a cup of fed starter to bake with, why not just count that as the “discard,” rather than remove an additional cup?

Here’s what I think: it all has to do with the yeast’s desire to eat and grow.

If you add flour and water to your starter without removing any of the starter first, the flour won’t feed as many hungry little yeast cells. But if you remove some starter first, before feeding, there’s more new food, proportionally, for the yeast.

So why not just leave the starter as is, and feed with MORE flour and water than normal, to accommodate all the yeast?

Because, unless you’re making some really major sourdough recipe, you’ll be feeding with more flour/water than what you’re removing to bake with – usually about a cup.

Keep that up for very long, and you WILL have to deal with The Starter That Ate Manhattan.

So, we’re back to ”I hate to throw away starter.”

And you don’t have to. Take that cup of “discard,” and make pancakes or waffles. Or cinnamon-apple flatbread. Or sourdough pizza crust.

Multigrain sandwich bread is a great use for your sourdough discard, as is sourdough carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Sourdough Pretzels, anyone?

OK, does your sourdough ever look like this?

Mine does – regularly. Dark liquid on top, kind of a pitted appearance to the solid matter underneath…

It’s OK; really. I pour off most of the liquid; it’s mostly alcohol. You can stir it in if you like, then add less water than you normally do when you feed the starter.

Stir any remaining liquid into the starter. Remove 1 cup, and either bake with it (re-read suggestions above), or discard. Transfer the remainder to a bowl.

Add equal parts unbleached all-purpose flour and lukewarm water by weight – which is about 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup water.

Stir to combine. Cover.

Several hours later (if your starter is pretty vigorous to begin with), or the next day, it should be nice and bubbly again.

If it’s not – remove 1 cup, and feed the remaining starter again.

Once it’s bubbly, store in the refrigerator until the next time you’re baking something sourdough – or until you forget it, remember it, your conscience finally gets the best of you, and you feed the poor thing!

At last – we’re ready to make those pretzels.

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

3/4 cup lukewarm water*
1 cup unfed sourdough starter, straight from the refrigerator (or use fed starter if you like)
3 cups Sir Lancelot Unbleached Hi-Gluten Flour* or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) non-diastatic malt powder or 1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast
*Add an additional 2 tablespoons water if you’re using high-gluten Lancelot flour.

Mix until you’ve made a cohesive dough.

Knead the dough – by hand, mixer, or bread machine – until it’s smooth.

It should be slightly sticky, like this; if it seems dry, knead in an additional tablespoon or two of water.

Shape the dough into a ball, and place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl, and let the dough rest for 45 minutes.

It isn’t going to rise a lot; but it’ll definitely grow a bit. Check out the rivet marks in the bowl, on the upper left of the dough…

See the difference? Two of the rivet marks have disappeared. It’s definitely growing.

Now, start preheating your oven to 350°F.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased work surface; a silicone rolling mat work well. Fold it over a few times to gently deflate it, then shape it into a rough rectangle.

Score it once lengthwise, and five times crosswise, to make 12 pieces.

Gently cut the dough into pieces; you don’t want to cut into the silicone mat, if you’re using one.

Cover the dough with plastic wrap, so it doesn’t dry out as you’re working with the individual pieces.

Roll each piece of dough into an 18″ rope. Keep the finished ropes covered, so they don’t dry out.

You may find it easiest to roll all the ropes partway, then go back and roll them the rest of the way. That way, each has a chance to rest (and the gluten to relax) as you’re working on the other ropes.

Now we’re going to shape pretzels.

First make a loop.

Then grab both ends, and bring them over…

…then tuck them under.

For an extra twist, make the loop…

…twist its ends…

…and bring down and under.

Place the shaped pretzels on two parchment-lined (or lightly greased) baking sheets. Once they’re on the sheets, gently tug them into as nice a shape as you can.

You’re going to bake the pretzels right away, so don’t bother covering them – unless it’s taking you a REALLY long time to shape them.

Dissolve 1 tablespoon non-diastatic malt powder (or sugar) in 2 tablespoons lukewarm water.

Brush this solution onto the pretzels; it’ll help them brown.

Why don’t we use baking soda dissolved in water, as so many recipes do?

Because darned if we could ever get the baking soda to fully dissolve, no matter what we tried. And the resulting solution gave the pretzels a splotchy, messy look.

Sprinkle the pretzels with coarse pretzel salt, if desired.

Bake the pretzels for 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown.

Remove them from the oven, and brush with melted butter, if desired.

I desired. There’s nothing quite so satisfying as hot bread and butter.

Hot, chewy, golden pretzels and butter? I’m there.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Sourdough Pretzels.

comments

1. JenSchall

These pretzels look incredible! I was just thinking that pretzels would be a great use for some of my sourdough starter… Glad to see you beat me to it! :)

2. "sandra Alicante"

They look delicious! I may have found a new project for when I’ve mastered Tiger Bread! Younger son came back from the States raving about soft pretzels, it would be nice to be able to make them for him when he visits.

3. fran16250

My husband has been asking me to make pretzels lately but I do not have any starter. Can this be done without the starter or can I make my own starter without waiting for a KAF delivery? These look so yummy!

Fran, for immediate gratification, try our non-sourdough Hot Buttered Pretzels – yummy! PJH

4. khkremer

I never had a problem with dissolving the baking soda: You do it in hot water, and it just disappears.. There is a reason for the baking soda – it creates the typical pretzel flavor, it’s not just for the color. “Real” pretzels (that is the ones that come from Bavaria) are actually made by dipping them into a cold lye solution. That changes the outside of the dough. Because handling lye is a bit dangerous, the way to do that at home is by using a boiling solution of baking soda in water. The effect is not as strong as with lye, but it’s still close enough to the original that I don’t bother with lye.
    I will definitely try these sourdough pretzels, but I will boil them for 10 seconds in a baking soda solution. Otherwise they don’t deserve to be called pretzels :)
    BTW: Here is my pretzel recipe (without sourdough): http://www.khk.net/wordpress/2007/07/05/pretzel-baking/

5. nelll

Whenever I arrive in the train station in Frankfurt or Crakow, there’s always someone (or several people) selling these (often with poppy seed or sesame seed versions as well as salted). I always want to buy one. I never do. I’m sure if I make them they’ll be so good that I won’t want to try them from a vendor. I’m sure that they can’t be sourdough, and being from California, I’m all for sourdough anything.

Question, though: If I have all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten, how much vital wheat gluten should I add to the all-purpose to get the same effect as high-gluten flour?
    Try adding about a teaspoon of gluten per cup of flour to raise the protein level. ~ MaryJane

6. Todd

I’ve always made these by boiling them in water with baking soda like you do with bagels. You said that you had trouble dissolving the soda, but I’ve never had trouble when the water was boiling (same as with salted pasta water: dissolve the salt after the water is boiling).

The pretzels are still soft, but the crust is chewier.

7. milkwithknives

Ooh, these are really good. My husband and I made them last Sunday to take to Easter dinner, and I didn’t even get one they were gone so fast! Luckily, he gave me a bite of his. (grin) I did use half white whole wheat flour (it’s just my favorite) and they still puffed up beautifully and were so soft and delicious. The shaping part was really easy and fun, too. Everyone liked these so much that I don’t even feel the need to try other pretzel recipes, I’m just going to stick to this one in the future.

8. ColleenMI

I know that, ideally, you’d eat these still warm from the oven. (With mustard and a cold beer. Yum.) But how are they the next day? Can they be made in advance?
    You can definitely make these a couple of days in advance and briefly reheat them in the oven before serving.
    ~ MaryJane

9. michelescott

How do these pretzels differ(texture/taste) from the method that are first boiled before being baked? (And could these also be boiled first for the “big pretzel” texture?) It looks like it is similar to breadsticks that are folded — which is not bad at all — but just curious as to how texture may differ from what I think of as big pretzels.

Boiled pretzels are stiffer/chewier; these are a bit softer/more tender. You could certainly boil these, if you like… PJH

10. merj

I’m wondering if you could make these as a roll (to use for a sausage for example)? Also, milk allergy here so what to do about the milk powder? Maybe substitute soy milk for the liquid and omit it?
    I think a pretzel roll would be amazing! Keep it hot dog bun sized for best results. You can use soy or rice milk instead, one of our dairy free bakers does it quite frequently. ~ MaryJane

11. Brenda

PJ, don’t you mean “Score it once lengthwise, and 6 times crosswise”? 2×5=10, not 12!
    I thought the same thing at first, but 5 cuts will give you 6 pieces, 6 cuts would give you 7 pieces.
    ~ MaryJane

12. pcstirn

Fantastic use of sourdough! Can’t wait to try ‘em!
    Here’s a question about sourdough starters in general. Why does my starter, when made with whole wheat or white whole wheat flour, fail after the first week or two, but doesn’t when made with all purpose flour? By fail, I mean it smells bitter, not like the slightly sweet, yeasty aroma of AP batches. It won’t bubble much, it has much more alcohol-laden water on it, and it’s a dark murky liquid. Could it be the germ and hull of WW and WWW flours that mess it up? I’ve been able to revive an almost-failed batch before, but I had to use AP flour only.
    The reason I wanted to use WW or WWW is my belief that the process of being immersed in liquid is what tenderizes the whole grain, that it is not so dry and heavy when the baked good is pulled out of the oven. Isn’t that why KAF’s WW Brownie recipe needs to rest at least over night??? Thanks so much for all you’ve taught me these last couple of years! Wish I would have found you decades ago!!!

Rather than make a whole-grain starter, which is more difficult to maintain due to the effect of the increased minerals (and bran) in whole grains – why not make your whole-grain doughs as “soakers,” where you soak the flour or flaked grains overnight before using in your recipe? If what you’re after is tenderizing, this would accomplish the same thing without you having to worry about maintaining a whole-grain starter. Worth a try? PJH

13. "John VN"

I have never tried using sourdough for pretzels. Sounds like a great thing to do with the excess starter. I always try and use the starter for some thing (rolls, pancakes, quick bread, etc) when I feed it on its monthly basis. I have been using the same San Francisco starter for over 30 years and have never had to add yeast to a recipe. My starter is active usually within 1 hour and produces a good rise. Are you adding the yeast to reduce the rise time?

Yes, exactly, John. You can leave it out, but your rise times will be MUCH longer, especially if the sourdough hasn’t been fed. PJH

14. kaf-sub-klutzygirlsfarmette

I have never used sourdough, partly because I’m afraid I won’t maintain it and partly because I hate the waste of starter! But I was wondering why you add yeast to the dough. I thought the starter was the leavening agent.

You can definitely go without yeast – it just prolongs the rising time a lot if you rely on the wild yeast in the sourdough to do all the “heavy lifting.” For some, the point of sourdough is its flavor, rather than its rising qualities, so yeast is added to speed things up. And don’t worry about maintaining starter- it’s very flexible and quite forgiving. I pay attention to mine once every 3 months or so, and it just keeps plugging along… Give it a try – I’m betting you’ll find it interesting and quite a lot of fun. PJH

15. robynb

pcstirn: I’m having a much different result with my starter – it’s a KA starter, and for almost a year now, I’ve fed it pretty much exclusively with KA Organic White Whole Wheat flour, and it’s thriving! A few times I neglected it in the fridge for too many weeks unfed, and it got cranky, so I used some KA First Clear flour either with the white whole wheat or by itself for one feeding only. Perked it right up. I also had a “child” of the original KA that I fed with their OG Whole Wheat flour for a while, and it did fine too – I used to have that one and a regular starter, but got tired of maintaining two so I just use the white whole wheat one now. I wonder if something else was the issue with your starters?

Thanks so much for the input, Robyn – I’m glad to hear your whole-wheat starter is thriving. I’m wondering if organic has something to do with it – I know yeast prefers organic flours. When I use the organic white wheat, my bread rises higher than when I use non-organic white wheat or red wheat… PJH

16. Julie

Any tips on using barley malt syrup instead of the powder?

Sure, Julie, just mix it with the water as directed. Since it’s already liquid, you could probably cut the water in half, and still have it be “brushable.” PJH

17. LeeB

I’ve been keeping a whole grain starter (made from the directions in the Whole Grain Baking book!) going for a couple years now and have discovered that a blend of grains works best for me on this. My starter is mostly whole wheat, part rye and part spelt. Just had it out this week making sourdough baguettes, your Rustic Sourdough recipe and some great sourdough crackers. Now it’s time for pretzels! My question is this: which grain is the highest in gluten since I’m usually using my freshly milled flour – I have hard white, hard red, spelt, rye or kamut – to sub for the high-gluten flour?

Kamut is the highest protein, with spelt next highest, and the hard wheats third. No whole grain will bake up as well as AP flour, due to the bran in whole grains, which tends to cut and destroy the developing gluten; but I’d guess kamut would be your best choice of the three. PJH

18. dawnfz

This post prompted me to search the site and find how to start a sourdough starter, and saw that it apparently keeps for months and maybe even years?? But was wondering about the upkeep. I see where you said you feed it about every three months. Do you have a blog on what that means and what you should do? I apologize if I missed it. Also, how do you add to it when you use it so that you still have plenty on hand? Any information would be appreciated. If it’s more in-depth and something I should research elsewhere, that’s fine, too. Thanks!
    Hello dawngfz – We have quite a bit of information on sourdough and maintaining a starter. You came to the right place! Yes, it can keep for months and even years, and will you believe for over 200 years??? The starter we maintain here for mail order is that old! Our Classic Fresh Sourdough Starter is available for purchase. Instructions for maintaining your new friend can be found on our site. All in all, it is quite easy. Sourdough starters are much more resilient than most people think. I subscribe to feeding it when I use it which ends up being once a week or once every 2 weeks. In many cases, it can be neglected for weeks at a time and be revived with only a few feedings. For more information on sourdough we have a page on our site called, Sourdough Essentials and do check out all the sourdough blogs. Send us an email, call our Hotline or join a discussion on our Community page. We have lots of resources! Elisabeth

19. dariawalton

I have ignored my sourdough starter for months, and my secret to keeping it alive is to never stir in the dark liquid. I did once and killed it – luckily my mom gave me a new sample of hers so I could start a new batch. Since then, I always pour off the ichor.

And YUM, pretzels, I have to make these!

20. boilerbaker

I made these this morning and substituted some traditional whole wheat flour (about 2/3 to 3/4 C) for some of the all purpose flour. The dough was so easy to work with, and baking the pretzels couldn’t be easier. After sampling some, to make sure they were edible :), I froze the rest and will reheat them so they will taste fresh.

21. danny16450

We made these yesterday and they are delicious! We didn’t have the malt powder so substituted sugar in both the recipe and the brushing on top. I was afraid they would be too sweet but they weren’t at all. I also forgot to form and pull them into shape after placing on the baking sheet. They did rise straight up so my finished product looks more like the last picture than the one above it with a perfectly formed twist!
    I always try to bake something with my discard. Usually it is a pizza dough that I freeze for a quick dinner. These will definitely stay on my list! We finished them quite late in the evening and had them with lunch today just zapped in the microwave for 15 seconds. They were perfect!

Danny, glad we could add to your stockpile of “discard” recipes. I like your tip for freezing pizza dough, too; you can’t go wrong having pizza dough ready in the freezer, can you? PJH

22. shellyfcohen

I’ve noticed a couple recipes that, like this one, call for either Sir Lancelot High-Gluten Flour or AP Flour. I’m curious about why you would use AP flour rather than bread flour as a substitute for high-gluten. Isn’t the bread flour closer in gluten content? What would happen if I used bread flour in this recipe?

Shelly, we’re just trying to keep these recipes as accessible as possible; most people only stock AP flour regularly in their pantries, so we always like to list that as an option. Bread flour is certainly a good choice; use it as you would AP, adding 1 tablespoon additional water (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon). The higher the protein, the more water you need to add; and bread flour is just about midway between AP and Lancelot. Good question – thanks for asking it! PJH

23. The Café Sucré Farine

You have the best recipes! And what a great idea for using the starter. These look fabulous. What a fun snack for the beach this summer! Thanks, can’t wait to try these.

24. sandylee6

These look SOOOOO delicious and my daughter Loves pretzels – unfortunately mine looked great but were Very Tough! I kneaded in my stand mixer but you did not indicate how long? Could I have needed too short or too long? Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly (using the sugar instead of malt). Hope to try these again with better results.

With just a tablespoon of fat, these are supposed to be chewy, rather than soft/tender. Maybe you’re mistaking chewy for tough? If they’re really unpleasantly tough, try baking for a bit less time; and you could definitely increase the fat to 4 tablespoons; that would make them softer. Good luck – PJH

25. "bread lover"

I made these last Sat. They are very good. I never throw away any of my sourdough, as I use milk instead of water. I can’t imagine how you can get a real good sourdough taste with just water and flour. If I don’t use my sourdough for a week, I feed it a teaspoon of sugar. That keeps it healthy and bubbly and stops it from separating.
    When I have some milk that’s gone sour, I can use it to feed my sourdough. I even used some rye flour to feed it recently. It’s just as healthy as ever.
    Another time, I would put grated, aged cheese in the recipe. Or maybe some fried onions. Sounds yummy to me.

26. Singer4660

These look amazing, but I am perplexed about the starter. My starter is about 2 months old now. I have fed it every 1 – 2 weeks exactly as directed by removing one cup and adding 1/2 cup luke warm water and 1 cup flour. I do keep it in the refrigerator if that makes a difference. By now it’s a dough not a batter because each time I feed it, it gets thicker. Should I reduce the flour each time? I don’t pack the flour down at all and could easily switch to weighing if that would help. Thoughts?
    Your sourdough starter should be the consistency of a thick waffle batter. If it is too thick and becoming more like a dough than a batter, then there is probably too much flour in it. Measuring by weight is always ideal, but otherwise, we suggest using this method for measuring flour:
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/measuring-flour.html ~Amy

27. pcstirn

Thank you, PJ, RobynB, Daria, etc, for all the excellent info and suggestions! I am going to try all of your suggestions. It may take me a while, but I’ll try to report back on my progress. I appreciate a forum like this to “think outside the box!”

You’re very welcome – I love this community for the support we all give one another. Baking is creating – and sharing. Thanks for joining the fun here! PJH

28. thefiverogers

I have read and re-read KA instructions for feeding (and discarding) sourdough starter and continue to be confused. Perhaps this is because before purchasing the KA starter I used a starter handed down from family. The thing is I never have a cup of starter left when I am finished baking. I purchased the KA starter several months ago and have baked and fed it many times and gone back to KA Sourdough tips to re-read the instructions. I even called and talked to a KA employee. Then I get even further concerned when I read more talk about discarding sourdough starter as in this blog. Here is how I have managed my starter over the past 20 years: Remove from refrigerator, stir and allow to come to room temperature. Feed starter and leave at room temperature for 8 – 10 hours. REMOVE 1 CUP FED STARTER AND RETURN TO REFIGERATOR. Now I can use the remaining starter for baking without worrying about having some left to put in the refrigerator. Immediately I bake items that require fed starter, then if I have left over starter the next day I can either bake items which utilize unfed starter or discard the remaining starter. Really – this is driving me crazy, is there any benefit to one method or the other?

Sourdough is a huge subject, with so many variables… Bottom line, whatever works for you is the way to go. There is absolutely right or wrong. Let me stress this: there’s no right or wrong way to deal with sourdough. Short of killing it, which would probably be considered “wrong,” each of us takes care of sourdough in our own chosen way, a way that works for our lifestyle and baking preferences. Even within King Arthur, each of us approaches sourdough slightly differently. For instance, one of my fellow bakers is appalled that I leave my starter for months without feeding it; he feeds his every day. Mine works for me; his works for him. So, my suggestion is relax; do what you’ve always done with your sourdough; and if you want to make a change for some reason, go ahead, try it, and see what happens. ALL good. PJH

29. Jan

I don’t have any dry milk in the house. But I do have a starter that’s been a bit neglected. Can I make these without the dry milk?

Sure, Jan, they’ll just be a bit tougher/chewier. Or, substitute liquid milk for the water. Either way – go for it! PJH

30. thefiverogers

After you remove 1 cup to discard (or use for pretzels) approximately how much starter do you have left to feed usually? 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup? 1 cup?

Personally, I’ve built my starter to where I probably have about 2 cups left to feed. To increase the amount of starter, give it double feedings (2 cups flour/2 cups water) a few times, or until the volume is where you want it. PJH

31. Nanciew

I’ve made these twice in the past week – the first time because I was curious about the recipe and the second because I got such raves on the pretzels that I had to make them again! I had all the ingredients on hand from making bagels, so didn’t have to make any substitutions. Really an excellent recipe and if you already are maintaining a starter, it’s super easy! I stored the leftovers the first time in a Tupperwear-type container and the consistency of the pretzels changed a little – the salt dissolved and the pretzels got denser – still good but not as good as the first day. This time the couple that were left went into a paper bag. This time the salt stayed intact and my husband said the insides stayed more like the out-of-the oven density.

And you can always reheat those paper-bag-stored pretzels n the oven, or VERY briefly in the microwave, to refresh them – PJH

32. http://and-the-dish.blogspot.com

Oooh… I’m experimenting with thin crust pizza dough today, but the next time I feed my starter: Pretzels it is! These look great!!

33. mandi628

These pretzels look so great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I was wondering if the additional yeast is necessary? I’m sure it speeds up the rising, but can it be done with just sourdough and add a rising time before baking?
    As PJ said in an earlier comment: “You can definitely go without yeast but it will prolong the rising time a lot if you rely on the wild yeast in the sourdough to do all the “heavy lifting.” For some, the point of sourdough is its flavor, rather than its rising qualities, so yeast is added to speed things up.” You got the idea! -Jessica

34. mandi628

Jessica – Thanks for the reply. I did read the comments, but I guess I missed that one! I’m really looking forward to trying this recipe this week! The pretzels look beautiful!

35. MJRankin

This is the first item I’ve made with the sourdough starter I bought at KAF a week ago! The pretzels are fantastic; only bad thing is having to resist eating them all while they’re still warm! I admit, I skipped the water/sugar wash and instead boiled my pretzels in a water/baking soda solution; it gave them a fantastic chewy crust like a bagel. Next week, sourdough bread! :)

There are great sourdough bread recipes on our website – the Rustic Sourdough Bread is on my weekly baking list to help with sourdough maintenance! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

36. bettybrzoska

I’m new to baking and starters just plain scare me. Not as much as spiders, but it’s a little daunting to think of this living breathing organism lurking about my refrigerator, making friends with those odd bits of leftovers I forgot about, plotting and planning, eager to either make their escape or make me their minion. Remember the movie Ghostbusters? Sigourney Weaver had an evil overlord living in her fridge that was once a cute little sourdough starter. Or at least that’s how my admittedly overactive imagination sees it.

Think about it: you feed it, hoping it will attract other yeast beasties in your neighborhood, then you slay it and throw half of it to the dogs. It’s practically medieval.

And yet. I love making bread. I never knew I could feel such a connection to it, such a sense of pride and accomplishment. There is just nothing like pulling a steaming hot creation out of the oven, with the scent of it wafting all through the house, and knowing that your two hands (and a kitchenaid) pulled it together out of practically nothing!

I wonder if there’s a name for an irrational fear of starters? Poolishphobia maybe? One of these days I’m just gonna do it and not look back. I don’t wanna be scared of no starter.
    Sooo funny! If you do get a starter, you’ll definitely have to name it Zuul! ~MaryJane

37. Nanciew

I’ve made these pretzels quite a few times now because the family loves them.This afternoon when I made them I used Sir Lancelot Flour instead of Organic High Gluten Flour, figuring that they were basically the same thing. I could not figure out for the life of me why the dough was so darn dry. I kept adding water . . . and more water . . . and more water until I eventually got the balance right. I made the pretzels and they turned out great. I was thinking that I would email you to ask about the two types of flour . . . but my son just walked in to tell me that the water I put in the microwave was done. Argh! Mystery solved. I had put the water filled measuring cup in the microwave for just a few seconds to warm it up just a tad (because our hot water faucet isn’t filtered) and I forgot to add it to the dough. I *wish* I could say that this was the first time I’ve done this. I need to adjust my process! LOL
    Well, that was easy! Mystery solved! Sorry, you were left frustrated, though! You obviously did a great job on adding enough liquid to achieve the right “feel”. I am glad to hear the pretzels came out great. Elisabeth

38. mlqueen54326

Question — I created my own sourdough starter from scratch last winter. Used it and fed it regularly to keep the starter going. However, I have not baked bread all summer but have left the sourdough starter in frig. It appears to be darker. Is it okay to begin feeding it again or should I toss and start over? Thank you!
    If the starter just has darkened and has liquid on top, it can come back to life with several feedings and some TLC. Pour off most of the liquid and start feeding just about 1/4 cup of the old starter. If there is any visible mold, or pink/orange tint, that indicated harmful bacteria and you should discard the starter. Hope it works out! ~ MaryJane

39. Weevil

Thanks for the recipe, I really enjoying making them. And eating the results :) I have posted my adaptation of the recipe and my results on my blog, with a link back to here so others can find the original recipe.

I love that I can use up surplus unfed sourdough mother like this, thanks for sharing.

40. kswebster

The pretzels are wonderful! How would you make this into a loaf – pan size and time to bake? Also, how would you make pretzels to freeze for later use? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

You could make this into a freeform loaf on a baking sheet; or it would probably fit in a 9″ x 5″ pan. Bake in a 375°F oven for about 45 minutes. For pretzels, I’d bake fully, then freeze; thaw overnight, then reheat for about 10 minutes in a 350°F oven, tented lightly with foil, just before serving. Should work fine – PJH

41. kswebster

PJH- Used the bread maker for the dough and first rise. Kneaded it gently 7 times and placed in a lightly greased 10″ loaf pan. Let rise 45 minutes, spread the water/sugar per recipe, then sprinked with coarse sea salt and baked 45 minutes at 370 degrees. Tented with foil the last 10 minutes. Removed from oven and spread the melted butter (again, per recipe). This bread is increadible!!!!!!!!! We now have a pretzle bread that is better than the bread that was purchased from a German bakery from the Atlanta area. YAHOO!

42. Rhoda

I came across this link when I was searching for tips on reviving an unfed sourdough. Thank you for offering such detailed explanations and pictures. The instructions I had been following didn’t suggest that I feed by weight, so I had been feeding equal amounts of flour and water. Now I understand why it was so wet. I followed your instructions for getting it bubbling again, and it worked! Thanks ;) I am an American living in New Zealand, where doughy pretzels are not part of the food culture. For the first time, I was able to enjoy a warm, baked pretzel and the fact that it came out of my own oven made it all the tastier!! I had to use rock sea salt, since there’s no such thing as pretzel salt in our stores. Nor is there non-diastatic malt. I used sugar, as suggested. But can you offer any other info on the malt, so I can see if it might exist by another name? It is just malt powder? Thank you again!

Rhoda, you could easily substitute brown sugar for the non-diastatic malt – malted milk powder would be fine, too. Don’t stress about finding an exact substitute; it’s not that critical. Glad you enjoyed the pretzels – PJH

43. kswebster

I divided the dough in half and took half the dough and formed into round balls placed in a 9″ round cake pan. I let it rise, following the recipe, brushed it with butter and sprinkled with sea salt, then baked at 375 for 20-25 minutes. These made the best rolls! I froze 1/2 and took it out today – these are terrific without reheating. The salt melted somewhat with freezing, but provided a great flavor.

44. Rhoda

one final query …. How do I store the pretzels so that they are fresh but so the salt doesn’t melt? I’ve seen here that some people freeze them. That’s fine for long-term but for short-term? Thanks for the help!

Rhoda, if you use coarse salt, it shouldn’t melt – be sure to keep the pretzels airtight and DRY and COOL (not refrigerated), if possible. PJH

45. Rhoda

Thanks PJ =) This is where not having the standard products here in New Zealand, which are readily available stateside, undermines me :( I’ve only seen rock salt here in NZ, which must be more susceptible to melting. Oh well. I might try freezing the dough and then only baking them as wanted. Thanks again for the great recipe!!

Or maybe butter and salt them just before serving, Rhoda? PJH

46. Rsegrwr29

These are really good, but I think the next batch I’m going to wait to butter and salt them right before we eat them. I used coarse salt and they tasted GREAT….but the next day we opened the container we’d stored our leftovers in and the salt was all blotchy and made the top of the pretzels soggy so we had to throw them out. The fresh ones from the oven were really tasty though, definitely going to save this recipe!

47. tinasquirrel

I just made these with our discard sourdough starter (that we got from KAF last year) and I have to say that I am very disappointed. They taste like very yummy bread sticks but they don’t taste like pretzels. I guess it’s my fault for not being more skeptical about the lack of boiling. This is the recipe that my husband uses, adapted from the Baking Illustrated book to use sourdough. These taste more authentic and are usually devoured within a day. http://grainandgrain.com/2012/03/11/sourdough-pretzels/

Sorry these didn’t work out the way you would have liked them to, Tina. And thanks for sharing your husband’s recipe – much appreciated. PJH

48. J.D.

I was reading through the blog entries and was wondering where I can find the directions to parboil the pretzels before baking?
    J.D.

I do not believe we have a blog post that delves into this topic! However, it is pretty simple. Bring your water and baking soda solution to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Allow your pretzel to boil for about one minute on one side before turning it over to boil for another 30-45 seconds. Transfer to a baking sheet using a slotted spoon or spider.-Jon

49. Lily

I’ve made these pretzels a few times now. They are so easy and incredibly tasty! Thank for this, I’ve bookmarked it for repeated use.

50. Susan Richcrick

If I would dehydrate the pretzel after baking would it result in a hard pretzel instead of a soft pretzel?
    Thank you for the recipe.
    S. R.

Unfortunately I do not believe this will work. However, there are several hard pretzel recipes out there. I would give one a try that is tailored to making this type of pretzel!-Jon

51. Terri Jacobs

Do these pretzels freeze well? If so, should I omit brushing with butter until thawed and reheated? Thanks!

Your theory is spot on! Shape and bake the pretzels – cool completely then freeze. You can thaw in the refrigerator, then warm in the oven or thaw and rewarm all at once in the oven. Brush with butter while they’re warm for best results. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

52. David

These came out wonderful. My starter has not been refridgerated yet, and reliably doubles in 4-6 hours or so. Fed it last night and measured out a cup plus, without stirring. I think it was 115 grams or so, but don’t quote me.

I used the boiled water and baking sod solution and made some very golden brown pretzels. They were done 5 minutes early, but I preheated to a higher temp.

These pretzels had quite a bit of oven spring, and the crumb was great. Will definitely make these again. Two pinches of kosher salt was enough to season the entire batch.

53. colleenconnors

Made these for the first time using my sourdough starter from KAF. They are great! My sister was ready to get on a plane to come try them!
    Any suggestions on how to make them less “chewy” and softer?

Colleen, the more fat you add to the dough, the softer and less chewy it’ll be. Try substituting 2/3 cup milk for the 3/4 cup water, and increasing the fat to 3 tablespoons; and being sure to use AP flour, not high-gluten. This should produce a softer, more dinner roll-like pretzel. Enjoy – PJH

54. Marissa S.

Excellent recipe! Delicious sourdough flavor with relatively low prep time. I usually use my starter for bread exclusively, but I will need to start throwing these pretzels into the mix more often. I used regular AP flour and oil in the dough instead of butter (I saved that for the top). It came out very sticky, so I can’t picture kneading it by hand, but worked beautifully in a stand mixer.

Instead of brushing with the water mixture, I brushed them with melted butter and topped with fresh rosemary, parmesan cheese, and kosher salt. Topped again with melted butter after baking.

55. Midwinterknits

Like several others, I prefer to boil mine for the crust, but instead of using baking soda/water I sometimes boil with honey/water when I am making cinnamon/sugar pretzels. It gives you just a hint of sweetness. I do the same for blueberry bagels.
    My starter is a very very old one as well, passed down through family since roughly 1840′s. It has such a wonderful flavor. We call it “Uncle Rufus” (I don’t know why, but that has been it’s name for generations apparently) and the kids like to take turns feeding and playing (baking) with Uncle Rufus on the weekends and cold winter nights.

Katie, you could probably add maybe up to 1/2 cup almond flour to the pretzels, but don’t substitute it for the flour. I wouldn’t make starter with almond flour; it doesn’t have the starch the yeast needs to grow and develop. Good luck – PJH

56. John Bottini

These pretzels look incredible. I am always looking for a good use of my extra starter. Yes, pizza dough, bagels, waffles and pancakes are the norm but, with all of the yummy fats and sweets that are required for the end product, I need to cut back. These look like they will do the trick, but as with any first time recipe, I follow it to the letter. It is just my wife and I and the recipe makes more than we can eat fresh. Is it better to freeze them raw or par-baked. Will the end result be the same?
    Also, I live in the San Francisco area and my 4 year old starter is very healthy and strong. Is it necessary to add the commercial yeast? I normally don’t.

1. Amy Trage

It’s not necessary to add yeast, but the dough will be slower to rise. Since you don’t need a second rise with the pretzels, you may either freeze them raw or par-baked. ~Amy

57. Julia S

I have never made bread, let alone pretzels! A friend of mine loves to bake and shared his “starter” with me. Browsing through recipes I stumbled upon this and was thrilled because I didn’t want to waste the starter either!!! They came out beautiful and DELICIOUS!

58. Vanessa

I made these yesterday.To give them that pretzel chew, I boiled them in baking soda and water for 30 seconds and brushed them with an egg wash before baking. When they came out of the oven, I brushed them with butter. My family RAVED about them. This recipe is a keeper!

They sound delicious, especially with that extra chewiness added in! Thanks for letting us know how everyone enjoyed them! Jocelyn@KAF

59. Kay from Columbus Ohio

Made these with no modifications. Baked 25 min. on Convection Bake…should have done 20 min. Other than that, they were WONDERFUL!! Next time I will omit salt on some of them.

60. NL

This was my first venture making and using sourdough starter and it was wonderful! I used the baking soda boil method and baked them for just 22 minutes. They came out perfectly!

Thanks so much for the easy-to-follow recipe and all the comments and suggestions :)