Strawberries & Cream Scones: June swoon.

Strawberries and cream.

The words go together like… well, not like love and marriage. Those used to go together automatically. Now, not so much.

And not like peanut butter and jelly. Since peanuts are pretty much banned from elementary schools these days, it’s more like soynut spread and jelly.

Just doesn’t have the same ring to it, does it?

How about wine, women, and song? Sexist.

Halloween and candy? Dangerous.

Computers and crash? Sorry, IT…

Ah, here’s one we can all agree on: Night and day.  It works backwards, too: day and night.

But still, not nearly as compelling as those succulent strawberries and rich, smooth cream.

I’ve always struggled with strawberries, when it comes to baking. Strawberry pie (better yet, strawberry-rhubarb pie) – superb!

But anytime I try to slice or dice fresh strawberries and use them in muffins, bread, cake, or even pancakes – they totally lose their luster.

To say nothing of their juice. There’s nothing like a piece of fresh strawberry for creating a gooey pocket of gummy batter all around itself as it bakes.

Thus I approached this Strawberries & Cream Scones recipe with a certain amount of trepidation. What would make the outcome any different than what I’ve always found with other fresh strawberry recipes?

As it turned out: the amount of strawberry chunks. Fewer chunks = less opportunity for sogginess.

But, doesn’t it also mean less strawberry taste?

Not when you add flavor in the form of puréed berries, which mix beautifully with the cream and egg to become a part of the scone’s structure, rather than a problematic “add in.”

The remaining chunks of fresh berry, separated by sufficient amounts of real estate in the scone, manage to stay remarkably ungooey.

Well, don’t just take my word for it – make ‘em yourself. If you’ve hesitated to bake anything beyond pie with fresh strawberries, give these scones a go.

Oh, they do have one issue, though – their color. Which is a rather unbaked-good-like flesh-tone.

But if you can live with that – these scones are a winner, especially now, while days are warm and late-afternoon tea on the veranda is a distinct possibility.

First, preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets, or a full-size or mini-scone pan.

Put the following in a mini-processor or blender:

1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons half & half or light cream

Process until smooth.

Add 1 large egg, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Stir to combine, and set aside.

I’ve used Vanilla Bean Crush here – see the flecks of seed and pod in the measuring spoon?

Whisk the following in a measuring bowl:

2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or Perfect Pastry Blend
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder

Add 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces.

Work in the butter, using a mixer, your fingertips, a fork, or a pastry blender; the mixture should be unevenly crumbly.

Add this strawberry mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until the dough just barely starts to come together.

Add 2/3 cup diced fresh (not frozen) strawberries.

What happens if you use frozen? They’ll be intractably soggy in the scones.

Also, this is a great place for Fiori di Sicilia; the orange/vanilla flavor plays wonderfully well with strawberries. Don’t overdo it, though; I used 1/8 teaspoon, and it was just right.

Fold the strawberries in gently; the dough will be quite sticky.

I often eschew scone pans in these blog recipes, as I know not all of you have one. But this time I couldn’t resist our mini scone pan, which makes 16 lovely little “diet friendly” scones.

Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets (or into the scone pan, as shown here); each scone should be about the size of a golf ball. A tablespoon cookie scoop is exactly the right size for this task.

The dough needs some gentle flattening…

…like this.

Next, an unusual glaze. Based on granulated sugar rather than confectioners’, and tinted gold by a very high percentage of vanilla, this topping is applied before baking, giving the scones a delicately crunchy finish.

Stir together the following:

3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon water

Drizzle some glaze atop each scone.

Don’t be stingy!

Bake the scones until they’re just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges, 15 to 16 minutes (on a baking sheet or in a mini-scone pan), or 18 to 20 minutes (in a standard scone pan).

They’ll rise nicely.

When fully baked, they’ll be a very light tan; not really golden at all.

Carefully loosen a scone from the pan, and break it open; it should be moist (but not gummy) at the center.

Remove the scones from the oven, and transfer them to a rack to cool slightly before serving.

Let’s gild the lily here – strawberry preserves are always welcome!

Store any leftover scones airtight at room temperature. Just before serving, reheat very briefly in the microwave, or for 5 to 10 minutes, tented with aluminum foil, in a preheated 350°F oven.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Strawberries & Cream Scones.

comments

1. juthurst

I love the premise for your puree’…and will have to make these this weekend for our grad party overnight guests.

I have found that puree’ method works in making a base strawberry cake for Strawberries & Cream Cake too.
    Not being a fan of artificial strawberry flavor, I puree strawberries and add to white cake mix in place of water and bake as usual.

Crumb coat 4 cake layers with Italian meringue buttercream (both vanilla bean paste AND vanilla bean crush for flavoring), make a buttercream dam on the perimeter and fill with fresh strawberry freezer jam, top coat with more Very Vanilla IMBC.
    SO yummy!!! And could not be done without KA vanillas…
    Thank you! We go through a lot of vanilla- obviously I’ll be ordering again soon… ;)

Oh, my – doesn’t this sound GOOD! I’m passing it along to my fellow cake-lovers here… Thanks for sharing. PJH

2. jkprice

The scones sound super, but I’d bake them longer since I’m one of those people who like brown crispy edges. And yes, I go for corner pieces of cake and brownies and I prefer crisp cookies.

And I’d NEVER warm scones up in a microwave since microwaves destroy nice crispy edges.

3. deb1223

How would you recommend “shaping” them without a pan, just as drop scones? These look like a great State Fair entry, but the drop method isn’t as “pretty” – maybe time to invest in the pan?? :)
    The pan is a great and quick way to get that great scone shape. Or you could do it the good ole’ roll it out and cut it up method! We do a nice little step by step in our Maple Bacon Scone blog! ~Jessica@KAF

4. shmilypsta

Is this something that will freeze well?

Yes, either prior to baking; or afterwards. Bake frozen scones several minutes longer. Thaw baked scones, and reheat in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes, covered loosely with foil. PJH

5. shannon9585

I’m curious…why is it that these don’t brown well?

Shannon, I think it’s because of their high moisture and relatively low fat content; they kind of “steam” themselves instead of baking like other scones… PJH

6. "Friday's mom"

Please help! I have the 8 section stoneware pan. Are there different cooking temp and time recommendations for it? Is a cooking spray acceptable, or is shortening better for greasing it? I have always used, and love, the mixes, but would like to branch out and cook scones from scratch. In anticipation – thank you!

Cooking spray is exactly what we use, so go for it. You’ll want to bake the scones at the same temperature, but longer in the larger stoneware pan; start checking at 20 minutes, and see how they’re doing. Enjoy! PJH

7. LeeB

I tried a blueberry muffin recipe from Cooks Illustrated recently that had you cook down half of the blueberries along with a teaspoon of sugar into a jammy/syrupy bit to swirl into the muffin much like you are using the cream/strawberry puree in these scones. It was quite nice and I wonder if the same thing could be done to the strawberries to make them more baking friendly?

Hmmm… Lee, I wonder if the consistency of the scone dough is too thick to allow “swirling.” You could try increasing the liquid, perhaps? And rather than cook down strawberries, you could simply use good-quality strawberry preserves, with big chunks of strawberry; that would probably work pretty well. PJH

8. kirstenhaughey

I’ve been trying to substitute coconut oil for many of my baking needs. Could I substitute coconut oil for the butter in this recipe? What would the proportion be?

We’ve seen many recipes that use coconut oil in place of other oils. If you decide to experiment with this substitution for butter, we’d love you to post your results. Other customer/bakers will want to know about the taste and texture using the coconut oil. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

9. mariacc2

Oh these look amazing! I love the glaze you used! Your writing is just wonderful too ~
    I’m planning a “strawberry theme” post of my own and would love to include a link back to these scones!
    *Happy Wednesday*
    ~Maria

10. Aaron Frank

Nice!

Why substitute coconut oil for butter? To make these vegan?

How would a food processor work for cutting the butter into the flour? I’ve always used my hands but I’m at the point where I need to make some really big batches of scones and I’m almost at the point where it’s too big for the finger tip method. I figured I’d cut the butter into chunks like normal then freeze them.

Thanks,

Aaron

Changing out the fat alone will not make this recipe vegan friendly. You’d also have to replace the egg.

A food processor can be used to work the butter in. However due to it’s exceptional power, I suggest working with frozen butter. This will give you an edge for not over processing the butter into meal, instead of flakes. Frank @ KAF.

11. cshazan

Great recipe! I also made these without adding the 2/3 cup diced strawberries at the end. Instead, I added about 1/2 cup chocolate chunks to the dry ingredients before adding the wet. Strawberry chocolate scones–delicious!

12. vtmommy

We made these for the 4th of July and added 2/3 c of frozen blueberries. They came out a little too moist (because the blueberries were frozen, I presume) but otherwise delicious! In the future I would use fresh berries, as suggested above. They were really tasty though and even my hubby, who does not like scones normally, raved about them. They also came out a very nice red, white, and blue for the holiday. Not pink at all.

The chocolate idea in the comment above also sounds tasty. Maybe I’ll give that a shot next time :)

Joan, Devon cream is simply very, very thick fresh cream that’s been bottled. Think the cream that can sometimes settle on top of a container of heavy cream. As far as I know, you can’t make it yourself – though creme fraiche is a good substitute. PJH

13. Kelly

Scones are my newest baking adventure and your strawberry & cream recipe was a hit. I skipped the prebake glaze to substitute the total glaze concept from your Scone Nibbles… just happened to have leftover strawberry juice so my scones are quite pink ☺